PDA

View Full Version : Death's Diary, Timo Vihola (2D)

timovihola
06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/465/deathsdiary_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/465/deathsdiary.jpg)

The image shall speak for itself, I think it's quite clear what's happening there :D

Making this took a good chunk of the weekend and it was fun while it lasted.. oh well, back to the army in a few hours :(

Anyway, would nice to hear what you have to say about this, be it positive or negative.

Ilikesoup
06-07-2004, 04:19 PM
I love it. Sorry to compare it to something else (habit) but the street reminds me of Digon Alley from the Harry Potter films/books. I'd love to see the candle illuminate more of the skeleton's face in the window -- I almost missed him there. Also, the far archway looks like a face with its mouth open wide. Your using only blue and orange tones is a nice choice. I looked at your website and you have a very nice style with an exceptional level of detail.

shupersonic
06-07-2004, 09:07 PM
:buttrock:

Wow very cool . . .

my only critique would be that, when i look at this piece, the clouds seem closer to me than the end of the street.

I have no idea how to correct it though as your skills are far superior to mine . . . :shrug:

timovihola
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Ilikesoup: Glad you like. I agree, there's some resemblance to the Digon Alley, generally my goal was to combine the spirit of the discworld books with the gritty look of Terry Gilliams' Jabberwocky and the usual night shots you see in films sfx heavy films.. you know, the dreamlike blue colours, dense fog :D

Shupersonic: I'll have to look into it tomorrow, my 3 day holiday begins then so I have more time to play around with it. Thanks for mentioning about it!

tevih
06-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Awesome piece!! A few things that are my opinion:

head on skeleton seems too big (unless he is sitting? I don't see a chair, but on closer examination, I guess he must be sitting...), the foreground seems to sharp and clear for the distance to be showing so much fog and haze... maybe make the foreground have some more fog and haze to it. I agree with the comment above that the clouds seem too close.

-edit-

I know what's bothering me... It seems as is there is a lip, that there is a ledge under the window, and a shadow being cast onto the wall underneath - the skeleton seems too close to the window! He should be a little further away to allow for that extra depth (of the ledge)

Beautiful job, still

OrcOYoyo
06-10-2004, 12:04 AM
awesome.
i realy love the atmosphere in this picture :)

Per-Anders
06-10-2004, 03:48 AM
first thought that came into my head on seeing this was Ankh-Morpork.. hehe. you've got almost exactly what you were aiming for imo, great atmosphere and great work.

GavinG
06-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Thats an amazing painting...just to be constructive:

You did an amazing job capturing the mood, great lighting, good detail and it gives me the creeps :P A place I'd touch up would be the circular window in the cente rof the painting, all the others look well worked except this one.

I also agree about the skeleton, he seems really close..it may be intended but looks odd to me....

Again, amazing work.

Gav

Blackhorse
06-10-2004, 03:56 AM
oh, man. awesome! love the mood and the buildings.

Cullen
06-10-2004, 03:59 AM
truely great.
what else is there to say?

PhilOsirus
06-10-2004, 04:03 AM
Hey! That looks like a street in Monkey Island 1!:) Great work!

EricUNSL
06-10-2004, 04:04 AM
You covered alot of ground for something done in a weekend. It does have some perspective and scale issues that need to be fixed though. The clouds could use some more attention as well. I'll save a more detailed crit until I see what more you may do to the piece. Keep going.

Jesse-Irvin
06-10-2004, 04:19 AM
I love the mood and the style. Looks great!

FootFace
06-10-2004, 04:32 AM
Absolutely beautiful

I'm wrapped up in it's darkness

shbazjinkens
06-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
Hey! That looks like a street in Monkey Island 1!:) Great work!

I noticed that too! Go MI! :buttrock: The clock is missing though.

Very great scene.. Don't know what else to say, I really enjoyed it.

xinraylife
06-10-2004, 05:28 AM
great work

hanzo
06-10-2004, 06:38 AM
I love the composition, :beer: someone should make a 3d version.

then again I don't know witch I would like more :surprised

peanut
06-10-2004, 06:49 AM
woow i've been on your site and im impressed !

davemcd
06-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Cool work. When i saw it I thought "wow, someones painted Ank Morpork the way i see it in my head.... top job.

I do agree that death looks too big... he looks bouble the size that the window and doorway should allow.

Top notch otherwise tho.

DaveMcD

DoLeeP
06-10-2004, 07:02 AM
vert goog work nice colors I like ur style

Jesse-Irvin
06-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by shbazjinkens
I noticed that too! Go MI! :buttrock: The clock is missing though.

Very great scene.. Don't know what else to say, I really enjoyed it.

bloody hell it is! no wonder it's soo sweet!

atenyotkin
06-10-2004, 07:36 AM
SWEET!! I just got done playing Thief 3, and this would be perfect for one of the levels, or part of the City rather. They had a really scary level in there, and I think if this were a level, it could be very creepy :-):bowdown:

urgaffel
06-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
first thought that came into my head on seeing this was Ankh-Morpork.. hehe. you've got almost exactly what you were aiming for imo, great atmosphere and great work.
Have to agree with this :) Great piece Timo and good luck in the army!

ardenrey
06-10-2004, 08:00 AM
:buttrock: WOW!!! Great work! I like your style. :beer:

OZ
06-10-2004, 08:20 AM
I love it! FANTASTIC! :eek: :eek: :eek:

DJ Scorchio
06-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Very nice :) See the discworld thing people mention, also reminds me of one of the levels in the game painkiller :shrug:
But anyways, enough of comparing it to stuff! I think the tones you have used work very well, and your style is amazingly detailed, but there is something a tad wrong with the clouds, I have no idea what exactly, just seem a tiny bit off...
But great work :thumbsup:

Garma
06-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie

Hehe.. me too, Didn't play the game or read the book for 3 years, still it's the first thing that comes to my mind

Great atmosphere :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
06-10-2004, 10:49 AM
The atmosphere is amazing! love the style too. You have a lot of impressive works on your website! :buttrock:

Irratio
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Spontaneously, one of the beatifullest composition's I see on this site.

Yet it seems to me that, judged in mind of the standards of the mainstream dark fantasy images, the insight in the house on the lower left side and the bright moonlight and the hefty (kräftige?) colors of the enlightened windows dont fit together, because this has a comic style (the proportions, the colors, the contrasts) and the hallway seems more realistically painted. Do you know what I mean?

Xoveky
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
yes i love it :applause: :bowdown:

xjgd4321
06-10-2004, 12:23 PM
cool:bounce:

Riddick
06-10-2004, 01:05 PM
A great mood!

Just one thing, the mask of the skull in the little market is maybe too big.

Nothing else to say!
Great job!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

olijosman
06-10-2004, 01:09 PM
great style and paint. :thumbsup:

phoenix
06-10-2004, 01:21 PM
very impressive work...

HocusPocus
06-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I like the small spots of warm colours in the midlle of cold atmosphere scene...
amazing!

dangerkid
06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
No negatives here... that is amazing!

Szishren
06-10-2004, 02:52 PM
"Dear diary, found a place near the Mended Drum that serves excellent curry. The owner has a house cat, too. Mustn't forget to give Binky a new set of horseshoes.
Oh, yah, collected 5 souls today and missed my appointment with Rincewind yet again."

You got an excellent Ankh-Morpork atmosphere hanging over this piece. Love it.

mindrot
06-10-2004, 03:01 PM
:thumbsup:

Awesome work!!! Love the use of colour.... great stuff

DesertKnight23
06-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Excellent Mood and atmosphere. I like the many shades of blue:D

Lekku
06-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Wow, Death is huge......

Miyazaki
06-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Wow. Very cool .
My first thought was Ankh-Morpork :thumbsup: :buttrock:

jalingo
06-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Love the composition. Looks a little rushed in the middle as far as depth - sort of flat like a theater backdrop. It would be nice to have some of the distant structures still have a sense of volume like the foreground buildings.

Great job!

JOSICH
06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
WOW:eek:

Very good

Goatfuzz
06-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Very nice! I love the style...
:beer:

CourtJester
06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Ankh-Morpork always seemed well-populated to me.. perhaps some other city denizens in the background, some street hawkers. but then, is this the Shades?

I agree about the depth cue issue betwen the street and the clouds. Other than that, I agree with the others, top notch!:beer:

herbertV399
06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
This is stylised artwork and as that it is much more difficult to critises.
The artist has bigger freedoms than when doing realistical art.
Therefore I disagree with - Eric UNSL.

Wonderful !

jack_sparrow
06-11-2004, 12:19 AM
wow this only took you the weekend to do!? thats incredible! I would have taken about a week to try to accomplish that! Keep it up!! :bounce:

foxco
06-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Timo Vihola
Ilikesoup: Glad you like. I agree, there's some resemblance to the Digon Alley, generally my goal was to combine the spirit of the discworld books with the gritty look of Terry Gilliams' Jabberwocky and the usual night shots you see in films sfx heavy films.. you know, the dreamlike blue colours, dense fog :D

MAN DISK WORLD was AWSOME, i love its style in every aspect. and ya haha i thought of Digon ally too lol damn that harry potter taking over our minds. very nice work man. an image for my library indeed

/fox:thumbsup:

cerreto
06-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Hey man been wondering what the hell happened to you

are you in the army or was that sarcasm ? anyway give me a pm here so i can give you my contact info man love to catch up this pic kicks ass as usual for you

Cheers
Trav

Travis Bourbeau
Senior Producer
Massive Black Inc.
www.massiveblack.com

chainjane
06-11-2004, 04:55 AM
wow!!!

nice work!

cat33
06-11-2004, 06:39 AM
wow! this is a really nice painting! The crits I have, already been said so, touch it up a little and it wil be amazing. Not that its not there! Cuz it is. hehe

Seriously though, nice style, and colors. I wish I knew what he was writing!! :eek:

Congrats on front page.

_Cat

woadiestyol
06-11-2004, 06:54 AM
Very, very cool!:buttrock: For some reason to me, it looks a lot more like something that was actually painted traditionally than on the computer. :shrug: Nice work dude!

modelFarm
06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
fantastic!! good immage !!
I like the shadow effect and the clouds..
:applause:

Stargo
06-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Nice image !

Tero
06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow, this is awesome. I've seen some of your stuff before too. I have nothing else to say. I think it's perfect :)

Hienoa että suomalaisiakin näkyy saitilla. Tsemppiä inttiin.

Taharez
06-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Absolutely amazing, awesome work. I can't see anything to complain on just after seeing it, it's got a great mood and lighting that gives it that special something. Great stuff!

kaptah
06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Hieno kuva.

daviddrbal
06-11-2004, 04:13 PM
Too scary for me, but excellent done, that's for sure.
:applause:

Vinay2win
06-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Cool Man ! I really like the concept and the mood u created with blue and orange light. Its really good:thumbsup:

vinni

mindless
06-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Really, that's DEATH'S diary, and thats capital DEATH :) I Can't explain how much i like this drawing, really magnificent work Timo Vihola, i love your style! Keep on man, that's really great:bowdown:

By the way, i was wondering if you have a more HQ version of this pic, it's on my desktop already, but i can see the compression after-effects :hmm: Otherwise it ROCKS. Nothing more to say...

Opeth
06-12-2004, 09:03 AM
very nice image, first of all.
i have some of your old stuff on my hd and i can clearly see improvement!

i was wondering - in finland, is it mandatory to serve in the army like here in israel or do u work there or something?
cheers!
David

elnady
06-12-2004, 02:39 PM
great job:)

Quendi
06-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Thats a beautiful image. Really like the colors you've used :applause:

Mayer
06-12-2004, 07:49 PM
The feeling of the picture is dark, cold and fearsome. The light is playing between the old strong walls. :). Wow I like it. Very nice work. Congratulation.

Sorry for my bad english!
MaYer

dave_baer
06-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Wow. nice work. Would have been almost flawless except for the unusually large skull in the window to the left. Is that supposed to be Death sitting there? From the size of his head, if he stands up, he'll be almost as tall as the building he's sitting in, thusly, he's way too big for that room he's in. Other than that, I like it. You got the mood down nicely.

saladbar
06-12-2004, 08:15 PM
looks good, i wont beat the dead horse on the stuff tah was allready covered, but i have noticed that in the clouds and around some of the windows there seams to be soem weird pixelation, if i spelled that correct, it looks liek a noise plugin from adobe gone wrong. anywho could be thses shitty moniters that i use at school. looks good, keep it up -M

iCiGle
06-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Great work
I like the colors,it makes me feel cold

timovihola
06-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Whoah, the frontpage was totally unexpected!! It's a great honour to be featured in the CgChoice gallery!

So many replies that I don't know where to begin...

(Mods: is it possible to replace the picture on the first page with this?)

http://www.timovihola.com/gallery1/deathsdiary_large.jpg

Started fixing the other day all the things you've pointed out: Most people mentioned the rushed clouds, the huge reaper, Gavin_G mentioned about the round window, Jalingo pointed out that the archway looks flat, Eric noticed the perspective issues (which I agree, there are still many after this update. Didn't want to go into changing too much stuff as people seem to like it the way it is and THAT's something I don't wanna spoil).. well, the clouds aren't so rough anymore, reaper is smaller.. I had quite accurate concept in my head but the fact that he's sitting and I painted the picture in just a couple of sessions (became blind to even minor mistakes for I was staring at it too long).. in the end he became WAY too big :D Here's one of the early sketches of him:

http://www.timovihola.com/gallery1/death_scale.jpg

Szishren: [QUOTE]"Dear diary, found a place near the Mended Drum that serves excellent curry. The owner has a house cat, too. Mustn't forget to give Binky a new set of horseshoes.
Oh, yah, collected 5 souls today and missed my appointment with Rincewind yet again."[QUOTE]
HAHA, That's SPOT ON!!

atenyotkin: It's interesting that actually everything I've experienced has influenced the way this image turned out, I can clearly see quite a bit of Thief in there and I also have to admit I've seen my share of Monkey Islands and its artwork. (btw. Haven't played the third thief yet but looking forward to it)

Irratio, the cartoon vs real is one of the problems I was unable to fix.. it has to do with the fact that I couldn't decide wheter to go with totally real surface quality or more cartoon like when I started this... It's somewhere in the middle and at those two areas the difference is too drastic

CourtJester suggested adding some activity to the streets, great idea but I would've needed to include them in the very beginning and when I started painting this I tried to keep it as simple as possible (adding such a big element as an after thought would take away from the composition as it wasn't intented that way)

Cerreto, I wish it was sarcasm ;) We have this sucky thing called Mandatory Military Service :( I'll be online for the next few hours, drop me a line if you're around! In four hours I'll be heading back to the army, for two weeks. We don't have the next weekend free because there's eight day long camp.

Tero, eipä tässä enää mitään oikein ole jäljellä.. kohta ohi, 26 aamua.

Mindless: The new version is in bigger resolution.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all support!! Love you all!

PS. Didn't guess there were so many Discworld fans around here :D

Irratio
06-13-2004, 08:27 PM
@the artist: Death seems like the only comic-style character now and that's much more like Discworld, if this is a compliment.
I dont know how to say in English, but "why not turn the flaws into a virtue"?
Next question: the candle in the window of Death, is it supposed to not enlighten the wall the spectator can see in the middle window?

"I'd smell the Ankh....home again!"

The Death of Rats standing on the ledge...
Reg Shoe (the banshee?) sitting on the roof...
Much imagination about this picture.
Sam Vimes standing behind the next edge, in a corner, enjoying a wet cigarette and the darkness.
:)

Toxic_Mind
06-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Excellent title to an excellent image.. really scary and very dark work! :applause:

T_M

the_bully
06-28-2004, 10:50 PM
very cool reminds me of a pld metal albume cover

vincentvv
06-29-2004, 10:08 AM
What a poetic piece...
Cool stuff at your homepage...ezpecially i love ur Fingolgin/Morgoth piece..Silmarillion is so full of good materiel..
And BTW Achangel Loki?
Is Loke a angel?

skidd
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
dammit, thats nice

marc_lauper
06-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Terrific work!! ..Great style in general! :)

the only thing I have to criticize is the "big" head of mr. death.
..but that was already mentioned by someone..

Cromo
06-29-2004, 08:03 PM
dude, freeky stuff man, i love the colors too

nacho_grande
07-21-2004, 09:40 PM
the scene looks like Prag's getthos: brilliant job. scary mood :buttrock:

neozenit
07-22-2004, 12:41 PM
great work...!!!:applause:

Tilstrom
07-23-2004, 07:53 AM
VERY cool. Awesome work.

daveywu
07-31-2004, 06:04 AM
酷!I like it!

bulzae
09-01-2004, 02:31 AM
amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing WORK

Herrick
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Two thumbs up.

Both style and mood are incredible.

ramy
10-21-2004, 05:50 AM
I like it! I definitely see the monkey island influence! That's a good thing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.