PDA

View Full Version : jump- weight test

grstovell
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
I finally have a decently rigged character ready to test. I'd love some feedback on this animation test (looking for feedback on weight, timing, anticipation, follow-through, etc...)

Thanks!

test (http://www.firstprescaldwell.org/greg/critter/jumping.mov)

bawhabmw
06-07-2004, 10:14 PM
first off, funky character, in a good way. I have animated many characters with short legs and it can be very challanging. because of my history I have a few things to recommend. Please keep in mind that these are crits totally in my humble opinion.

I think you are off to a good start but here are a few things I noticed and my recommendations to fix them.

1. on the walk up: throw the guys weight around a bit. have fun with him. really exaggerate the weight shift from side to side as he takes each step. the head turning can be cut out, I think it makes the walk feel symmetrical if you know what I mean. also, add a little bit of foot flop to his feet. try not to keep them flat. throw the shoulders around a bit, i.e. give them a little more twist.

2. set up to jump: this is probably your strongest part of the animation. a few things here that I noticed are the arms. the come down is good but when the guy leaves the ground, keep them closer to his body and and have them thrust up. you currently have them bending back and then straightening up. have them thrust up along his side. also, place the guys weight further back in his stance when he squats. if your rig allows it, have more bend in the upper chest area and lest tilt of his hips forward. and just make sure the left foot stays flat. it floats down a bit.

3. the jump (mid-air): it looks pretty good while he is in the air. the come down needs to be quicker. he floats down. i loose the sense of weight there.

4. landing: there needs to be a little bounce when he lands. you need to have him come down hard, come up, come down and then back up for his pose or celebration. i can't remember the technical animation term for this. also, the guys arms should flop to the floor or close to the floor. It seem a little akward for his arms to be back like they are.

5. finish: donw have his arms and his head come down all together. stagger it a little.

over all it's looking pretty good. i don't want you to think that with all of my comments you piece needs a lot of work. it's doesn't. it needs some, but not too much. a few things to remember that I always think about are 1. symmetry is bad most of time, 2. timing that you can set a watch to is also bad, 3. straight lines. Basically anything that a computer is really good at. Your biggest task is to make the animation not look like it came out of a computer. also remember ease-in ease-out, secondary movement and anticipation. always keep those in the back of your mind.

Mr. posetopose, greg lemon, could probably help ya out better than I could since he has all of the experience I do not. GOOD LUCK!

//benno

grstovell
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bawhabmw
Please keep in mind that these are crits totally in my humble opinion.

Humble opinion my foot! :thumbsup: You're good! (I went to your site and was VERY impressed with Ping. Great stuff there.)

This kind of feedback is exactly what I was looking for... THANKS!!!!! let me ask you a few questions...

a) In the walk (which you are right... it's 100% symetrical. (mirrored poses)) you said - add a little foot flop. What does that mean? Toe bending? Dragging maybe?

b) What challenges have you found with short-legged characters?

I'll fine-tune it tonight and post something tomorrow. I really appreciate the feedback.

-g

bawhabmw
06-08-2004, 11:27 PM
hey Rev,

i'm glad you liked the crit and my work as well! Ping was actually my first animation and it did take me 10 weeks to make. this stuff takes a while. but it's fun.

1. by foot flop i mean that the foot should almost go vertical on release, then flop up, the heel makes contact with the ground first. then the foot flops down followed by the toes. if you watch my new short "Quark" on my web site you can slow it down and see the foot flop I'm talking about. Just watch his feet in the first shot.

2. challanges I have faced are problems with the arms stretching all the way around him to hold things. but that can be fixed with modelling. also the foot flop is almost too exagerated to get it to look right. It never totally feels right until you see it in action. also, with short legs it's hard to time out a run well. you want it to be a certain speed but you realize that he doesn't quite have the stride you want. I usually fix that with more air-time.

I'm really gald I could help. tell me if some of that doesn't make sense. check out here (http://www.carlosbaena.com/anim_material.html) for a lot of good links and for the walk cycle (http://www.anticz.com/Walks.htm). there are few notes on foot flop there I think.

//benno:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.