PDA

View Full Version : character animation - opinions please

th3ta
06-07-2004, 03:04 AM
just started to animate this, id like to get some feedback on how it looks. There are teeth and tongue in there, just didnt render them. thnx

http://www.rudytaege.com/images/animate3.avi

bawhabmw
06-07-2004, 09:27 PM
can't visit your site my man. might be down?

th3ta
06-07-2004, 09:39 PM
hmm, try right clicking and save as if it won't open in browser.

InAction
06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Good work so far. I would recommend some more exaggeration. You started well in the beginning when he looks around and move his cheek, but then he gets a little stiff in the lower part of the face, make him move the lips some more maybe, or the cheek in some way after that. And when he looks at the viewer, exaggerate the lipsyncing, it doesn't look quite right now, I think it needs a little more twitching movement than smooth all the way.

That's my personal opinion, but the whole animation were very good, keep it up!

Edit*
You could lower the quality and resolution alot on the clip, it's way too big for a short non-finished sequence like that.

pollywoggles
06-10-2004, 04:55 AM
I like what you're doing so far. I agree with the others. I'd like to see a little more snap in the animation. It still seems a little mushy. Ok. I guess my suggestions are sort of vague... which probably doesn't really help you at all... let me try to be a little more concrete. I'd like to see him forming his words a little more-- when he talks, his mouth looks shot with novacane.

rony
06-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Good expressions. He needs a little bit of change is expression at least once, like focusing on something. It's true that he's singing slowly and just chilling but a little exaggeration helps sometimes. In the end when he realizes that he's being watched, I think it the head turn should be faster.

th3ta
06-11-2004, 03:57 AM
ok, i worked on cleaning up the lip sync, so i think that's looking better for now. Ill make it a little snappier and more exagerated next. If you have any more suggestions or critiques, PLease let me know. thnx

http://www.rudytaege.com/images/test9.mov

decreased resolution , this version is only 1mb. its 320x240 , so hopefully you'll be able to see the changes i made. =]

bawhabmw
06-11-2004, 02:58 PM
a few ideas I had that have kind of been said already:

1. on the "hey" his mouth floats a bit. i think it should be a little quicker. maybe start the mouth opening later.

2. also on the "hey", have his eyebrows go up a little sooner as well and hold for a bit. then bring them down after a second or two.

3. "stick around" seems to not have too much emotion. maybe a smile or something not sure. he looks a little zombie-ish there. at least he does to me.

4. the second blink seems to be a little bit long.

5. a possible solution for comment #3 is to keep a little bit of a smirk as he talks. his mouth going back to a neutral position takes the emotion away for me.

overall it looks really good. I think that mainly if you kept the emotion a little more consistant after he says"hey" and if you make some facial expressions and lip sync snappier, then it'll be perfect.

this is just what I think.

//benno

InAction
06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I would give some crits on the update if the server would respond. -.-

th3ta
06-11-2004, 07:17 PM
ok, ill play around with those ideas and see what i come up with over the weekend. Yeah i've realized that the server i use isnt as good as i thought it was. Im probably gonna switch to a better one pretty soon.

th3ta
06-13-2004, 06:34 PM
heres an update,

http://www.rudytaege.com/images/comp2.mov

im also working on another clip that'll ill post later 2nite

bawhabmw
06-13-2004, 11:38 PM
hey theta.waves.

i guess i still have a problem with the snappiness. everything he does is "soft" and slow if you know what I mean. the guy's "hey!" needs to be quicker. his mouth needs to say that faster. I still think his eyebrows need to come up before his mouth says "hey". it's a little symmetrical now. also you need to watch the lip sync. i watched his mouth a few times and I didn't see a "ck" in "stick". when i say those words my mouth moves up and down 3 times. it looks a little bit like "stick round". the extra jaw drop would add the needed syllable. also, his eyes show little emotion. have a lid move up or have him squint because his eyes don't show much expression. in the middle of saying "stick around" he looks zombie-ish to me. play with moving his eyes quicker. some slow moves are good but try some small, fast movements, especially when he looks at the camera. I still think his second blink is too long.

the snap of his head to look at you is the best part. i saw you fixed that. that looks good. plus the render looks killer.

//benno

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.