PDA

View Full Version : still: As Time Goes By

thinkinc
06-07-2004, 01:53 AM
This is my first contribution to this community. As an artist, I see nothing but flaws (of course), but I thought I'd at least give it a whirl.

This is inspired by the many John Huston movies I've seen. I'm such a sap.

As Time Goes By

http://deskmerc.com/archives/kiss2.jpg

Dreamy Kid
06-07-2004, 03:30 AM
no picture here:wise:

thinkinc
06-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Oops. Fixxored now.

Thell
06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Whoa !
i can see the picture now and i think this piece screams for frontpage !!!? :drool:

Rabatscher
06-07-2004, 10:08 AM
yes!! great work!! :applause:
absolutely inspiring!

the only thing i dislike is his ear which looks strange attached. maybe you spend some time on his earlap?

also his beard looks skewed...somehow...
nevertheless - :buttrock: - i love her hair ;)

greetings
jrb

F1Racer
06-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Jeezus :eek:

This is 3D or 2D ? If its 3D, I`d love to see the wireframe cos its too perfect :)

Rasper
06-07-2004, 10:30 AM
This rocks! :buttrock:
The overall texturing is crazy!
I love the beard and sideburns, they just look so hyperrealistic :love:

I was going to critique on one thingy, but you said yourself you see nothing but flaws, so I'll presume you don't need it pointed out for you. ;)

Overall: A job well done!!! :applause: :thumbsup:

aeres
06-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Great pic! :thumbsup:
The guy's ear could use more definition and IMHO his wrinkles beside his eyes (whatever that is called...) is a tad too much.
But I love the overall render, esp. how her hair fits between his fingers, simple brilliant.

:drool:

thinkinc
06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
I am grateful for all your compliments. And please, don't hold back on the critiques; that's why I put it here.

I'm working on another project right now, but when I'm through I'll post the wireframe for this one.

And I know there's something weird about the ear. Ears and fingers are annoyingly difficult for me.

Spc
06-07-2004, 11:08 PM
OMG !
The textures are amazing !!

:buttrock: :drool:

Rasper
06-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by thinkinc
I am grateful for all your compliments. And please, don't hold back on the critiques; that's why I put it here.

Well... because you asked for it:
The ear is what puts me off... A 'normal' ear would have more curves etc, it would be more bent toward the head (difficult to explain in words since ears are hard to describe).
Also, the ear lobe looks too cornered I think.
Here's an image/reference of what I'm trying to say: http://www.gemday.com/pic/ear-8224.jpg
(I don't know if anyone agrees with me)

But like I said, at first I wasn't going to give any crits.
It's a beautiful piece... and if you'll look hard enough, I think there's almost always some imperfection in any image... All depends on the person who's observing it.
(Of course by learning from crits you can improve your skill)

I wish I had the time and skill to make a beautiful render, full of emotion like this one! :cry:

ant-
06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
great great great image, composition is luvly.

but i always have to crit, thats why people show there work right? the ear is the biggest give away, the top of the ear looks way to thin, the refere rasper gave is a good example, also, here bottom lip has a line along the bottom of it, and looks a little elongated, it just needs blending in very slightly, with a smooth transition with the textures, go look at your lips in the mirror :bounce:

i personally would be inclined to add a bit of gloss to the lips also.

overall amazing work, and I would personally fix the things i have pointed out in photoshop, but some people say thats cheating i know, but for a still i dont see a problem

thinkinc
06-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Here's the promised wireframes. I'm a Cinema4D user.

http://deskmerc.com/archives/kiss-wireframe.jpg

And thank you for the criticisms. I think that I'll have to toy with the ear a bit more.

I don't think Photoshop is cheating on stills, so long as you aren't substantially changing your original premise, but I grasp the point of wanting it "pure". Hair is, I think, the Great Equalizer in 3D art, so I do not hesitate to fix that in Photoshop. I simply lack the computing power to manage it purely. But, I guess I lost all my morality about retouch work a long time ago -- after spending years in advertising, I can assure you all that everying is Photoshopped.

Since I'm new (or is that n00b?), is there a thread other than the FAQ that might explain better the expectations of the community? Things like, what constitutes 3D versus 2D art (I've seen a lot of "2D paintings" that never saw the business end of a sable brush)? What are the areas where contributions and innovations would be most useful? What are acceptable applications to use and still be considered not-gay?

Thanks so much again everyone.

Yours,

H.

ant-
06-08-2004, 10:12 AM
wow evena c4d user, used to be one, havn't picked that up in about 2 years.... i miss it :drool:

difficult question about the digital art industry, I would probebly be supoorted in saying your methods are irrelevent, if you can create the image you want at the end you never should have to explain your methods.

hmmm just looking again, can I please ask what projection method did you use for the textures and are they photos?

As for 'none-gay' apps as you put it, I wouldn't worry, c4d is respectable, I know of instances where even large studios have used poser models as standins for pre-viz and what not. its more what you do with the app that counts.

squidinc
06-08-2004, 03:27 PM
look like poser models with a texture bought from renderosity or somewhere similar

.. but I could be wrong.. If I am, nice work:thumbsup:

blax_ed
06-08-2004, 03:32 PM
really nice man...

but i think the menĀ“s ear is not so good as the rest....

dru
06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Uaaauuu:applause:

it's simply wonderful!!!:bowdown:

ciao

xjgd4321
06-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Very there is felling

The model wants more fine more good
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.