PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Group Opinions

JDex
06-07-2004, 12:03 AM
So there seems to be alot of debate about how this great addition to CGTalk should be handled in the future. Although this is not a democracy per-se I figure that having all the opinions in one place will make it easier to figure out the "will" of the sketch group.

Question 1:

Should the sketch group threads be closed after the deadline?

Question 2:

Should there be a topic 7 days a week?

Question 3:

Should we vote on the best sketches at all?

Question 3a:

If we do vote, should it be weekly or monthly?

Lets see if we can get a concensus and get to "The Daily Grind"

JDex
06-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Q1 - Yes.

Q2 - Yes.

Q3 - Doesn't matter to me...

Q3a - Either.

fresh27
06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
NO
YES
YES
WEEKLY

Dasleah
06-07-2004, 12:55 AM
1 ) No, but posting after the deadline shouldn't bump the topic back up to the top of the posts in the forum.

2 ) Yes.

3) Doesn't matter to me.

4 ) Monthly.

erilaz
06-07-2004, 01:55 AM
I don't mind as long as I get to DRAW! :D

It hasn't happened yet!

zzacmann
06-07-2004, 02:14 AM
If there is going to be voting, in needs to be once a week. Going over all the sketches in an entire month (if just one person did it every day, there would be 30/31 sketches. Now multiply that by the thirty or so people who post sketches each week.) would be just way too many to consider.

I don't care if theres voting or not. It is fun to see what people like and didn't like. But at the same time, I can see it turning people off to the sketching forum in fear that no one will like their work.

As for 7 days a week, Im not sure whether I was the first to mention it or not. I just assumed that it would go 7 days a week. I reloaded cgtalk about every 30 seconds between 10 and 12 oclock waiting to see the daily topic on Saturday. Needless to say, I never got one. I understand that alot of people are coming to cgtalk from their office computers and don't work on weekends, but at the same time, me and great deal of others are posting from our home computers, so weekends done really mean anything different when it comes to working on our computers.

If not a sketch topic on Sat and Sun, post them on Friday night. Or have one big topic to work on over the whole weekend. The weekends just seem like the biggest oppurtunity to do something really cool.

Flatuloso
06-07-2004, 03:41 AM
NO - But have the location of the thread locked, so all the threads remain in chronological order. Also have someone (can be anyone, wether it's a mod or a good simeritan) post a message when the deadline for a particular topic has occurred, for voting purposes.

YES - It seems easy enough to do, and I can't think of any real reason why there shouldn't be a topic every day.

YES - it would be a nice way to wrap up each week, and would also visually divide the board into nice sections of 6/8 (days 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and then the vote).

WEEKLY - As was stated before, mulling over a whole month's worth of sketches would take forever. However, we need a voting process that everyone uses; rather than guy X posting twenty different times - everyone should just post once with their votes for each day. I liked the method that some people used that looked like this -

"Username" - "Title" - Then why he liked it...

So thems be my thoughts.

the sparky
06-07-2004, 04:01 AM
NO
YES
YES
MONTHLY: and here's how I propose to do it (I posted this in the other thread, but I'm not sure how many people read it or how clear it was):

Once a month a thread should be started for "submissions". Any peice can be submitted. Each post should look like this:

name of image creator
[image]

No other comments would be allowed in the thread. People could nominate what they think is their own best sketch or a personal favorite that someone else did. That thread would be open for a set amount of time. Then it would be locked. A new thread would be started for voting, and anything in the previous thread would be eligable. That way, we wouldn't have to wade through a month's worth of threads, but we also wouldn't have the - in my opinion - excessive competition every week. If a mod thought that someone was joking around with their submission, they could just PM them and find out.

RobertoOrtiz
06-07-2004, 04:20 AM
Wow I leave for a few minutes, and I see here my very own version of "Lord of the Flies".

OK at least I will publish topics on the weekends.
Ill monitor thos thread to see how I can make the whole sketching process, perfect!.

Thanks for the comments so far!

-R

augustus
06-07-2004, 06:00 AM
1. No. You can have a great idea after topic closed. Also, when a topic will be closed exactly? It is Sunday 23.55 on Alaska, Monday 08.55 here.

2. Yes. It's very hard to find time/energy in weekdays.

3a -3b. I really don't now, but this shouldn't become a competition.

Wow I leave for a few minutes, and I see here my very own version of "Lord of the Flies".

This can be new topic, "Lord of the flies" ;)

Edit : No summer time thingy on where the servers locate? Post time shows one hour earlier. :hmm:

buzzz3d
06-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
OK at least I will publish topics on the weekends.

Thanks Roberto!

About the questions:
1 No. As long as the chronological order stays the same.

2 Yes. But as Roberto has stated this one is already solved. Hooray :)

3. No, not necessary.

4. If there will be voting, let's at least make a good system for it, for instance what Sparky has suggested.

Cheers,

Erik

SteveV
06-07-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm not interested in point scores or deadlines, this is purely a drawing exercise for me (as I would hope it is for everyone), I won't be participating in the competitive side of it, I think we should be trying to nurture the young (and not so young) new talent here. It's motivated me to start sketching every day again and I thank you for that.

As an illustrator I'm always doing what the client wants, and I've let my creative skill levels drop, this is just the shot in the arm I needed.

AgentX
06-07-2004, 08:48 AM
1) Yes close them.

2) Yes there should be 7 a week

3) No we shouldn't vote on them. It takes too much time, and it turns it into a competition, when it should be for fun/learning.

4) N/A

marchermann
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
1 - yes, close the threads after 24 hours.
2 - five a week are fine, but maybe one on Sat or Sun
3 - voting not neccessary for me
4 - don't care, if there's a good voting system.

OK, now I really have to make my first submission ;)

jawine
06-07-2004, 09:36 AM
1: Closed or not is both fine with me ^^)
2: Yes, I missed it this weekend ;)
3: Naaaaaah.
4: But if people really want a voting, sparky's system is fine with me, because then people participate actively into be voted for, so everyone who doesn't care about the voting just doesn't post their artworks in the voting thread.

iamintricate
06-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by buzzz3d

About the questions:
1 No. As long as the chronological order stays the same.

2 Yes. But as Roberto has stated this one is already solved. Hooray :)

3. No, not necessary.

4. If there will be voting, let's at least make a good system for it, for instance what Sparky has suggested.

Garma
06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
no - no - yes - weekly

jack_sparrow
06-07-2004, 11:07 AM
1. YES
2. YES i missed it on the weekend
3. :shrug: meh it doesn't matter to me either way
4. MONTHLY

MadeInUterus
06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Question 1: YES

Question 2: YES

Question 3: doesn't matter

Question 3a: WEEKLY

AJ
06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
1. Yes - There's one every day, so if you miss one there'll be one on it's way. Plus if you have a good idea, there's nothing to stop you drawing it anyway...

2. Yes - more = good!

3. Voting's probably not the right word, but it'd be good to have a 'weekly critique', where any comments about the sketches can be made. This would mean constructive feedback for the artists and would also keep the threads for images only.

4. Weekly comments would be very helpful.

Garma
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by AJ_23
3. Voting's probably not the right word, but it'd be good to have a 'weekly critique', where any comments about the sketches can be made. This would mean constructive feedback for the artists and would also keep the threads for images only.

I don't really mind critiques among the images, actually..

if we vote for daily sketches and a couple of other requests are honoured, maybe some mod (or a member - whoever) can write a bot to automate the flow of the sketch group?

2 more suggestions:

- organize threads by creation date to keep them in order.
- create another forum for suggestions and stuff (or one or 2 stickies) or move them to the GD. Don't understand me wrong - this thread is a great idea but I think it would be nice to keep this forum clean..

Supervlieg
06-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Q1:Yes, to keep the flow going

Q2:No, Ill take 5. Just because a lot of people (including me) are away for the weekend and dont have access to a computer. I would hate missing a great topic because I'm not at home/work.

Q3:Not really, but it is a nice switch for the weekend. And perhaps it's a bit of an incentive to come up with a good sketch.

Q4:Weekly. Tallying scores for a whole month of sketches would be impossible. And the ones at the beginning of the month would be forgotten an and only the most recent ones would get scores.

feyshtey
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Question 1: YES (at the very least, anything posted after the deadline is inelligable for any voting.)

Question 2: YES

Question 3: YES

Question 3a: Weekly - if this forum continues to grow as rapidly as it seems it will, a monthly voting would have hundreds of pieces for consideration. Perhaps even thousands. That's getting a little out of hand for something that's just for fun.

PaulZ
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Question 1: yes

Question 2: yes

Question 3: doesn't matter

Question 3a: weekly

Ronski
06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
1. Yes, or at least a message saying nothing after this point is eligible.
2. I'd say 6 days so a longer week-end subject is there, we gotta rest one day :)
3. Sure, limit it to one vote per subject.
4. Weekly.

Cheers,
Kieron

Dasleah
06-08-2004, 12:10 AM
How about having a subforum in here where all topics are moved to after the deadline? That way they can still remain open, but don't mess with the order in the main part.

Clanger
06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
1: Yes, can't work properly without a firm in stone deadline.

2: No, like many here don't often have access to a computer at weekends, maybe Fridays could be special and carry over the whole weekend.

3: Not bothered. I'm not here to try and win something just lot's of desperately needed practice.

4: If you must vote monthly would be nearly impossible so weekly.

the sparky
06-08-2004, 12:39 AM
how about anything after the deadline is null, and RobertoOrtiz could post a reply in each thread saying that anything after that point is null at the same time as he posts the new topic.

I think that sketching should be 7 days a week - people who are saying otherwise seem to be basing it on their own schedule. If you can't make it one day, you can't make it, it doesn't matter.

Agent D
06-08-2004, 12:48 AM
1: I don't really care, both ways work.

2: Yes! That's what "daily" means.

3: I don't think it's totally necessary, but it's fine if some people want it.

4: Weekly. Imagine reading through 30 sketch threads to find your favorite three. Not going to work.

Stillwell
06-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Okay, I don't have time right now to read the 4 questions, I'll answer them later, but here's my suggestion:

only one vote.

Some people, when the voting time came, had 3 entries for each of the 4 categories. It should only be 1 ;)

Agent D
06-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Stillwell
Some people, when the voting time came, had 3 entries for each of the 4 categories. It should only be 1 ;)
Incorrect. R>C>P

Tells us what are in your opinion the best 3 sketches from
each category.
I prefer three anyway, since you aren't forced to pick just one out of each catagory. Some people may have the best rendering skill, but I also like to vote for other reasons as well.

Stillwell
06-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Seen like this, you have a point.

It's true, sometimes someone may have a good idea, but their rendering skills are not perfect.

People should specify why they vote for someone though. If they vote for 3 drawings, specifying why they chose those 3.

Telemaco
06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Yes
No, I prefer only 5 days a week, the weekend is for resting
It doesn't matter to me
Weekly

Telémaco

chrisWhite
06-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Q1: No
Q2: Yes
Q3: Yes
Q4: Monthly

Fire2257
06-14-2004, 02:06 AM
#1 . No
#2 . No 5 days weekend = sleep
#3 . Sure why not?
#4 . Weekly , montly would be 2 complicated and jumbled

thats myopinion sence im actually participating

JDex
06-14-2004, 02:12 AM
Alot of people seem to think that it is a bad thing to have topics on the weekends... but my question to them is, why not still take you're day off??? it's not like you are obligated to participate each day...

Not everyone enjoys Saturdays and Sundays as the weekend... my weekends are actually Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I personally enjoy sketching on my days off, as well as the days that I work...

I am not dissing anyones opinions here, just looking to understand why people would want there to be no topic just because they choose to take the day off.

Fire2257
06-14-2004, 12:38 PM
I dont exactly think "its the weekend so therefore should be no sketches" its just during the 5 day week i love 2 sketch and giveing the weekend we can reflect or refine the 5 day sketches, so the weekend is really a clean up ... votes and stuff

just my reason for it, just seems 2 me it makes it less jumbled lil more orginized

feyshtey
06-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Roberto,

Could we get a clarification on the deadline rules for voting?

Originally you'd said that you wanted to close the thread, or make posts after the new topic was posted inelligable. For the sake of encouraging quick works. But that 'rule' isn't listed in the daily descriptions.

Are pieces submitted after the new topic is posted elligable?

If not, can we add that caveat to the descriptions so it's clear?

I know I'm not alone in supporting the time limit. But I know there are opponents as well. We should just make it clear, either way.

Thanks !

the sparky
06-26-2004, 10:25 PM
ok, I really think that these sketches need to be kept in order. It makes it a little weird to look at when they're all out of order. Also, it seems like this topic should be kept at the top, so that people always have a place for feedback.

Matt_Forcum
06-26-2004, 11:00 PM
Alright,

1. I do not feel a topic should close after the due date. leave it open but let people know that any image posted after the submission date is not elegible. EDIT: After putting some thought into it, I think that the topics should be closed after the week is up and when voting begins. that way people will have plenty of time to enter and those who accidently enter after voting takes place wont waste time. The only problem comes if someone spends several days on a sketch just so they have one that is way better than everyone elses. But as long as everyone is honest about the time they put in on a sketch, there are no problems.

2. There should be a topic 7 days a week. participation is voluntary so if you dont wanna work on the weekends. then dont work.

3. Yes, we absolutely should vote on the best work. This friendly competietion is what keeps us pushing hard everyday. I want my stuff on the front page!!! If some people are a little intimidated by the quality of work here then that is just an excuse for them to push themselves to do their best! We love seeing everyones work and many of the beginners are getting better at an increadible rate! Those who are new are just that. new. In a couple of years they will be just as good as those who are way ahead of them All thanks to this daily sketch forum!

4. Voting should be done on a weekly basis. For each daily topic. With one winner for sketch of the week. This isn't to much for us to go through the threads to find our favorites. however. to make the voting easier for You Mods out there we should arrange our posts with any comments saved for the end. that way the names are seperated out and any Honorable mentions dont get mixed up.

I would hate to see the voting system go because some are intimidated. We are all here to lift each other up. To be honest. Some of the best Ideas and concepts I have seen have come from those whos drawing skills are not as well developed yet. Those are the people who are going to be kicking all our butts soon!

Dargon
06-26-2004, 11:43 PM
1. Sorta
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Weekly

I think that if we do any voting, it should be no longer than weekly, because it takes a long time to go through that much already, to see what you want to vote for.

I also think that once voting begins, the threads should be closed, but don't close them on a daily basis. The thing is that people all live in different time zones, so by the time they've seen the topic and gotten home from work to work on it, it could be a lot closer to the deadline than someone else, and therefore not so fair. I think for some, it might dissuade them from entering, and that would be a shame.

But on the other hand, when people post in really old threads, the moment is kinda lost, expecially if it's on one that the voting has already taken place in.

These things are great, and part of the best part is it being totally voluntary on a day to day, so you don't need to do all 7, just because you did one. I also am finding it incredibly addictive, and so 7 a week sounds just super. :)

Sir-Patroclo
06-28-2004, 11:53 PM
No, but they should be closed when the voting begins. Ephesus says "The only problem comes if someone spends several days on a sketch just so they have one that is way better than everyone elses. But as long as everyone is honest about the time they put in on a sketch, there are no problems" but I don't think that the rules should mind about how long people plan -maliciously- their sketches, because there's no prize except from the rewards of practice and sharing, and that you can't obtain through cheating. I think that the importance of getting the award of each day must be measured by every person according to their goals (that are equally valid if you want recognition, or if you want improvement, or both or wathever), and leaving the threads open before the deadline gives more freedom to choose when you do your sketch.

Yes, absolutely. Nothing happens if you miss one.

I think it's a fun thing to do, but -personally- I don't think it should be a goal for posting, so nobody should feel threatened or intimidated because nothing is at stake (like Seinfeld, this is the thread about nothing). Maybe we all (myself included) are getting too biased towards patting each other's back as the only comment about a work, instead of pointing out strenghts and weaknesses that help a lot to improve. Is nice to be encouraged -sure I do like it, and I'm happy for how friendly people is here- but I think of the thread as a virtual classroom or workshop were you make things and show them to the class in order to get their impressions and feedback, as we all are heading to better ourselves in what we do.

Weekly is a good rate.

Cheers

Sir Patroclo

ellaesunaCebolla
06-29-2004, 12:00 AM
So there seems to be alot of debate about how this great addition to CGTalk should be handled in the future. Although this is not a democracy per-se I figure that having all the opinions in one place will make it easier to figure out the "will" of the sketch group.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 3a:

Lets see if we can get a concensus and get to "The Daily Grind"

Q1- no
Q2- yes
Q3- yes
Q4- weekly

SteveV
06-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Way too much emphasise on winning here. As a person who's worked in the comercial field for 25 years I've seen competition destroy more artists with potential than build them up.

Just my 2cents worth, for what ever that's worth. ;0)

Sir-Patroclo
06-29-2004, 04:57 AM
Hi all:

Thinking about how we can better harness this oportunity of getting in touch with great illustrators around the world, thought about the following:

We all noticed how Garma has improved a lot from last week's sketches -for example- and I think that he -and therefore we all- could gain a lot if he could get a review on his evolution, what's better and what still needs work; if a new forum within the Daily Sketch Forum is set up with threads dedicated to each person instead of a theme, they could post one sketch from each week and get a review on their evolution monthly. Maybe a list of members interested could help make teams of reviewers assignated to each person (let's say Garma is reviewed by Telémaco and Pasto, and at the same time Garma is in the team that comments on Goblin King's work, and so on). Each person could state objectives at the beginning of the month and see if those are achieved at the end, etc.

A very rough idea, maybe other people's thoughts can help shape it, if it makes sense at all.

Greetings

Sir Patroclo

Ebola0001
06-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Hey Patroclo, i really like that idea but I think it would be better served as a central "themes thread" with only roberto posting in it with the new themes each day. and then people adding that day's work to their thread. with the theme in the post or something...

Then as time goes on, they get comments and suggestions on their work and don't have to read through 5 pages of posts patting the veterans on the back for a quick comment at the bottom of someone’s thread.

That’s my thoughts.

DanubuKa
06-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Question 1:

NO/2 days after

Question 2:

YES

Question 3:

YES/but also on an encouragment vote

Question 3a:

WEEKLY/ but one vote per submittion(when work is submitted)

thanks for letting me have a say

PowerChild
06-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Opinions from a Newbie:

I say yes to closeing post deadline, like a few days later. Otherwise people like me will keep posting to topics that have been dead for weeks. :)

I like topics 7 days a week, but I know I'm gonna get frustrated if I don't get to one.

Vote? Sure. Why not.

I say make it a monthly thang. Just because that's all I'm likely to do. My opinion. Laters.

-PC

DePingus
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Though I haven't participated as much as I'd like to here are my two cents...

1. You should wait until the end of the next day to close the thread (if at all). Why? Take my situation for example. The webserver where I post my images is at my work location. I don't have access to it from home so I would have to do the sketch during working hours to be able to post it before I leave for the day (my job is flexible but this might be pusing it). I'm sure there are others with similar types of problems where their schedules would prevent them from posting the sketch on time.

2. If it's not too much trouble, please do post a topic every day. Thanks.

3. I don't think voting is neccessary. Its not about the competition after all.

3a. Weekly. A month's worth of sketches is too much.

As a side note...I really like Sir Patroclo's idea. There are many details to work out, but if done right this could really benefit many people.

stephan.s
07-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Question1:
No, but the threads should stay in chronological order.

Question2:
Yes

Question3:
YES/but also on an encouragment vote

Question4:
WEEKLY
But different than it is right now. Currently it's too much work to vote. Maybe we could put up a simple voting gallery or so. Something without a lot of effort. I found the coppermine gallery system very useful. http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/ I used it on my website, if you want to check it out. I'm not done at all with the design yet though :D http://www.stephanart.com

It is VERY easy to update. You just have to upload stuff. Everything else is done automatically. If you don't have the webspace available, maybe there is something similar for linked images?

It would be cool if we could even have some kind of hall of fame gallery. In which we show the winners of the recent weeks. In a smaller scale than the

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.