PDA

View Full Version : My WEBSITE!!!

Animator305
06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
hey people... i would appreciate a critique on my website and current animations section.. If you could take some time, that would be great.. THanks a million!!

www.julianpalacios.com

DeletedPenguin
06-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Julian,

I think the website is coming together nicely. I personally don't like to use sound, as I think it gets annoying after awhile, but the site itself is easy to navigate through, loads quick, and showcases your drawing capabilities on each page that loads. It may be nice to have a 3d character or some sort of other media on a few pages to show that you are a 3d artist as well, since you did spend quite a bit of time at "Full Sail".

Overall, nice site, good work.

Stefan

Virum
06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Isn't there a rule against cross posting? (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147398)

Sciatica
06-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I was viewing your page with Mozilla 5.0 and everything seemed to be working link/viewing wise, so your probably safe there :)

Ok.. Negatives first

-The beeping coming from the buttons is annoying and rather unnecessary..

-Theres alot of wasted space at the bottom.. perhaps its being saved for something,.. if not, why not stretch down your center viewing window so you can see more?
(ok, I noticed it stretches down when more thumbnails are in it, but I stand by my comment)

-The combination of blue and grey text is probably not to bad, but, Im assuming you created your webpage at 800x600? I have my monitor set at 1024x768 and I believe lots of others use similar settings.. Perhaps you would want to have a resoulution selection at the start of your page? you know.. if you want 800x600, click here.. if you want 1024x768, click there.. right now the blue and grey text are sorta.. mingled about and it makes it a bit awkward to read

Now a few positives:

-Your site was very easy to navigate.. clean, easy on the eyes, and fairly origional (as far as webpages go ;) ) I found it very easy to just click about and explore things.. no annoying "designs" that cause me to abandon the page in frusteration.. with the common design trends now inplace in the industry, I'm finding this happening more and more to the point where when I find a page like yours, I think its a pretty major plus.

-Its also fairly low-tech.. (yes, this is good) .. while I do enjoy the occasional fancy site.. usually they just get eather frusterating.. time consuming.. or they just plain don't work.. For a portfolio site the most important thing is to have it available and working as much of the time as possible.. The absence of pointless popup windows, screwy animations and bizzare javascripts means every browser should operate it (except for that inevitable goon who still runs IE 1.0, who will complain non-stop about compatability issues)

Alrighty.. thats about it for now... but just one more quick thing.. I find this to be really important..
Please!! Lose the beeping! :) I constantly have music running and such in the background, and I would much rather just not browse a webpage then mute my sacred tunes.. and besides.. this page is supposed to be getting you a job.. you don't want it to be annoying. Would you wear a singing tie to an interview that burst out into showtunes every 5 minutes? If you would.... well.. I can't help you.. ;)

Keep up the good work!

*edit* By the way.. I have never seen that 10 second club webpage you had in your links before.. Thanks alot, it looks like a cool site :)

Animator305
06-06-2004, 11:55 PM
hey people.. thank you so much for navigating my site and viewing my work.. your time is very very appreciated.. i will take all your critiques under great consideration and again, i cannot thank you all enough.. laters amigos!!!

Julian

Animator305
06-06-2004, 11:57 PM
in response to virum..... i dont believe there is a rule for cross posting.. sorry for any inconvenience man... have a nice day

Julian

Duffer
06-07-2004, 12:00 AM
i agree with sciatica on a couple points, and i have a couple of my own.

-ditch the beeping mousovers.
-there's too much unused space, perhaps the solution could be as simple as centering the view area.

-font size is pretty small, although i like the different color every other line, you'd probably be better off with one solid font color with an 'easy-on-the-eyes' background color (not white, perhaps grey).

your site is incredibly easy to navigate, i love it. i watched your demo's, you are a gifted animator. you shouldn't have any probs getting a job.

Animator305
06-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Duffer.. i appreciate the time you took to check my site out and my work as well.. i appreciate your comments all around and especially your personal comments on me.... i found them very inspiring and i thank you for that... Take care .

Julian

Virum
06-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Animator305
in response to virum..... i dont believe there is a rule for cross posting.. sorry for any inconvenience man... have a nice day

Julian

It's ok....just trying to point you along in your Forum adventures. A lot of people can get extemely pissy about cross posting on forums that I go to.....just didn't want you to find out the hard way. :)

Animator305
06-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks virum.. i appreciate you watchin out for me amigo... ill make sure to watch that from now on... thanks again bro. and thanks fro writing

Sincerely,

Julian

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.