PDA

View Full Version : Still Fender Telecaster

goodson_cd
06-06-2004, 01:13 PM
http://www.craiggoodson.com/newtele3.jpg

This is a rerender of an old scene. Your thoughts please.

Sciatica
06-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I believe the forum posting rules ask you to post more information regarding your picture... Wireframe? Program Used? Put some effort into your post, and maybe people will put effort into replying..

goodson_cd
06-07-2004, 02:21 AM
http://www.craiggoodson.com/wire.jpg

Sorry, been a while since I posted on this forum.

3dstudio Max 4.2
Vray Advanced

This first render was done with vray basic when I first got it. I took a job that required more out of my render system so I purchased vray advanced and over time I have rerendered some of my old renders.

Thanx

Sciatica
06-07-2004, 03:00 AM
<shakes fist> ;)

Cool :) ok.. first off, some negatives:

-The shadows on the topright of the guitar seem really dark.. before I saw the wire it looked like your guitar was only half an inch thick.. Perhaps just a mild fill light to bring a tiny touch of light in there?

-The neck seems a bit thin as well.. this may just be the case with telecasters, but it looks like it would be thin to the point of being fragile..

-The top left (from my point of view) bit of the guitar (the area where the other shoulder strap peg would be located) .. it seems a bit.. weird.. Once again, this may be the design for telecasters, but as far as I know Fender sticks pretty close to its classic design in which case, the top left should mimick the top right of the guitar, only smaller and not jutting out so far..

Theres other things that seem weird to me, but that may just be because its been a long time since I have been around a Fender.. one of my jamming buddies has a Fender Jaguar, so thats been the last one I have seen and even that was a little while ago

Now for the good:

-Very nice work on the textures.. Perhaps the red body could have used a sliiiight bit more reflection.. but meh.. thats personal preference (my buddies jaguar is actually a matte finish.. looks really nice too).. The Floor, dials, tune and volumn knobs and bridge all look well researched and well executed.

-The lighting and overal render are well done. Its very close to being photorealistic and a good portion of it is (hence the need for a wireframe.. consider it a compliment :) ). Perhaps there is a bit of burnout going on near the top of the neck, but other than that, very fine job!

Thats all for the image... umm.. You probably noticed this but theres also some really bizzare alien action happening on the right of your image.. What is that?? Anyway, it didnt seem to be part of your intended image so I saved this bit for last.. but I would be betraying my morals if I ignored something I thought looked off when giving comments..

Daffydd
06-07-2004, 03:28 AM
Very nice! I do agree that the shadows are a bit dark on the upper portion of the guitar body... I, too, initially got the impression that it was to "thin" up there.
The glare makes the upper "horn" of the pickguard wash into the body - get's a bit funny in that area because of that but that's not a big deal.

Nice warm render tho - good job! :)

Daf

goodson_cd
06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Thank you for your comments, I will add a small fill light and bring that side of the image up a tad.

The Fender telecaster has no horn on the top side, a thinner neck and if you could see the headstock you would see a huge difference in it and the Stratocaster.

The Alien wierdness is the leg of a stool in the image that is blown out by the DOF. I will correct that also.

As for it being washed out by the lower horn, that is a vray area light reflecting in the guitar at just that point.

I will post up a re-re-render soon.

Thanx

guypapyrus
06-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I wonder if you could post some more "blah" shots of the guitar, perhaps a front orthographic shot. It looks good, generally, but the shot you provide seems to skew the perspective a lot, so the horn under the neck looks too rounded, and the body where the horn would be above the neck (e.g., as on a Strat) looks a little too flat. Hard to tell.

As a still, I feel like it could use a little more... maybe a stomp box, or a wahwah pedal or some such? And what's going on with the right edge of the frame?

One thing I noticed: I'm not intimately familiar with Teles, but shouldn't there be a little metal plate where the 1/4" jack plugs in?

The only thing I'd suggest in terms of next steps is perhaps a bit of texturing for scratches, dents, etc.; the usual vintage guitar wear-and-tear. Though I do like the immaculate look too.

Best,
Andrew

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.