PDA

View Full Version : How do i unwrap a mesh in 3DSMax???

J.Peckham
07-20-2002, 05:08 PM
hey people of the CG.
i've been doing ed for about 5 months and i live with a guy whos been in it a little longer. i use 3DS Max cause it's the only thing i have. the one thing that has stumped me is how people get there meshes to unwrap and then paint the textures onto one image. i've seen the unwrap UV modifier and tried to tackle it myself but i have no idea what i'm doing. if anyone can explain this or give me a link to a tut. a newbie would understand i would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
-J.

Scott Guns
07-20-2002, 07:59 PM
For your first time using UVs, apply a UV Map modifier, then edit with Unwrap UV.

Example: A head (easy way). Apply UV Map and choose cylindrical mapping. Align so it is standing up and click fit to object. Then apply a UV Unwrap modifier. In the Unwrap, click Edit UVs. Then you can drag UVs around without editing the geometry. Exporting to an image to paint on is done by using Texporter or a similar plugin.

If you have messed up UVs, you can often fix them by adding a Relax modifier and relaxing the geometry before adding UV Mapping. Then, when mapping is done (and locked down with Unwrap UV) you can delete the Relax modifier.

The harder way (but better results) is to planar map the front and sides, then weld together the UVs. This comes with experience and practice, so I'd just go with the above way for now.

dvornik
07-20-2002, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to learn how to combine several planar maps to texture the head in max right now. From what I understand I have to assign each group of polys I apply a planar map to it's own material ID, all within the same subobject material. I make each material an instance of each other. That way I will later apply one map to all of them. Is this the right way of doing it? I got to the point where I have rather clear unwrapped UVs for the entire head.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.