PDA

View Full Version : page turn effect

ddjix
01-31-2002, 03:31 AM
I know someone in here has already done one of these... So how would you go if you had to animate a page turning in a book and thus revealing the page behind... How would you model the book, the pages (considering how thin they are) and make the whole thing look realistic ? Bones or displacement ?

Adam Klein
02-03-2002, 02:50 PM
well, I've never tried anything like that but since no one has replied I'll give ya my 2 cents:

Displacement, well, depend how many pages you wanna flip and the camera angle too. The displacement might create the 'wave' needed to create the initial flip, and the the opposite flip until it lays on the other side of course, but the point at which it is 90 degrees up from the spine will have to be the split, see what I mean, and it'll be difficult enough to figure that much out, heh.

Bones, definitely possible but you're looking at a much longer setup. This way would have the advantage of having the same bone setup for every page, as well as allowing you to have any camera angle, but the time you put in will be getting that initial turn set smoothely, then you'll be able to flip over and over with that setup.

hope that helps a little :)

Ada K.

Bytehawk
02-03-2002, 05:11 PM
I was thinking of endomorphs. for begining and end flip

Chewey
02-03-2002, 10:33 PM
I'd use a set of bones lined up along the edge(spline) of a single page to perform the rotation of the page. Maybe use an endo morph or two to make the page a bit wavey as it transitions from conforming to the rest of the stacked pages on either side of the stacked pages.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.