PDA

View Full Version : 2D Character: Morbid Girl

samize
06-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Doing it in Photoshop (with just a mouse).
I am aiming for photorealism so, any crits about that are welcome.

http://www.icablenet.com.br/~samael/images/WhyDidYouFall.jpg

http://www.icablenet.com.br/~samael/images/WhyDidYouFall_high.jpg

marc001
06-07-2004, 10:23 PM
The forearm is short in comparrsion to the upper arm. The crease in the elbow joint should be pointed towards the elbow. The thumb is missing a joint, is short, and angled incorrectly. The ear should be inline with the side of her head. Her head is at a 3/4 view, so we shouldn't see the ear straight on. For skin colors, use Photoshop's color sampler to get actual skin tones from photos.

Ilikesoup
06-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Sorry, but I disagree with nearly everything that marc001
has said. Her forearm is behind the seam between bicep and forearm so your (Samael3D) vertical shadow is correct. She's got a creepy skin tone, but it looks intentional and appropriate for a goth look. The shoulder looks unnatural, though. I don't think it should be that squared off at that angle. Change the angle of her body and you obscure the hand, so that's not an option. Interesting pic. Did you draw from a model? Since you're aiming for photorealism I wonder if it's for an assignment or just for practice. Nice work so far.

4 low
06-10-2004, 01:40 AM
And I'm gonna have to disagree with Ilikesoup. There's no way your forearm is shorter than your upper arm. Unless you are missporportioned. Bending my arm in that exact same way, I can easily reach the top of my shoulder--maybe I'm missporportioned?? :p Unless of course, she's reaching across her body, making her hand rest on her left boob, but it still doesn't look quite right for that either.

Her thumb is definitely a bit wierd. If it's gonna stay at that angle, I'd make it a bit larger. Otherwise, make it longer. There's 3 joints in your thumb, kinda looks like she only has 2.

Her shoulder angle is fine, but when twisted like that, I'd expect to see more of her back, especailly her lower back. Her stomach looks a bit odd as well. It looks a little too round.

Definitely fix the ear. Hell, cover it with hair if ya want, that's an easy fix.

Don't hold back on the morbidity <--is that even a word? I'd love to see more blood...

Cyro
06-11-2004, 03:51 AM
A hard, dark shadow cast under right arm will pop the arm out... try it and see if it'll help...

Ilikesoup
06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
There's 3 joints in your thumb Oh yeah, I'm going to disagree right back at you. 4 low, you may have 3 joints in your thumb but I only have 2 in mine. And if my arm is prone to my body and my forearm is bent upward, my wrist doesn't quite reach my shoulder. Besides, this girl's forearm is angled horizontally upward. Looks like her index finger is near her throat.

BTW, no personal attack here, 4 low. Just healthy disagreement w/ a dash of humor.

4 low
06-11-2004, 06:52 PM
http://imc.gsm.com/integrated/haonline/haonline/ha/simgs/00000/0000/900/995.jpg

I count three.

But like I said, maybe I'm misporportioned, because my wrist is almost even with my shoulder when I put my arm in that position. Who knows....

I agree that it looks like her arm is angled, but at that angle, and with the way her back is twisted, it just doesn't look right. From the way it's drawn, it looks like her fingers are closer to the viewer than her chin is, but I think it would look more accurate if they were behind her chin. Maybe the problem is just with the depth perception.

Don't worry about personal attacks, I know you're not doing that, and neither am I. Discussions like this is what this place is for...

Ilikesoup
06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Ah, I think I see the problem. Three bones, two joints. Joints being the connecting points between the bones, i.e. knuckles. I see what you mean, that there isn't much evidence of segmentation. Maybe a little more shadow would help there, but I don't see it as absolutely necessary.

4 low
06-12-2004, 01:31 AM
I guess the confusion starts because I am considering the metacarpal as part of the thumb, because it has the 3rd joint which allows for radial movement. But that's not what this thread is about...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.