PDA

View Full Version : opinions wanted

fbitonti
06-05-2004, 02:35 AM
This is a character and a walk cycle I made quickly while i was board one night. This is my first walk cycle in 3d and know it is far from perfect so please tell me what I can do to make it better and what you like and don't like about it. I was trying to create an arrogant little bounce for this character. but i think that i need to exagerate the upper body movements more. well thats enough from me tell me what you think.

http://www.designfb.com/walk.html

by the way give it a little time to download it think it is 2.5 megabytes or close to that.:beer:

rusdom
06-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Let me first say that if you're seriously interested in animation you should definitely get The Animator's Survival Kit (written by: Richard Williams). It's the best book on animation you'll find out there. It doesn't talk about software or animating with a computer but what it gives you is 342 pages (most handwritten) on the principles of animation, which will make you a good animator no matter what medium you use. I animate in Maya mostly, and since reading the book my animation skills have improved VASTLY. And as far as walks go, the book has 75 pages devoted entirely to walk cycles, not to mention the almost 50 pages on runs and jumps. Anyway, if you are realling into animation... read this book.

That being said... one thing I'd say is that for the next walk cycle you do, animate the character actaully moving. Unless you're animating for a game you'll usually have to animate a character actually moving through space (not just staying in the same spot while his legs float back and forth independent of the floor). Also, if you're trying to make the guy look a little arrogant, I'd say try things like: arch the back and reall puff out the chest; also really emphasize the shoulder movement (forward and back)... also get out of your chair and act the walk out :) pretend like you are the character. Walk like you think a really arrogant person would walk. Then really pay attention to what you are doing... how your head is moving, how your shoulders move... your arms, your hands, your hips ,your legs, your feet. Really good animators are REALLY GOOD observers! So give that a shot and see what you can come up with... good luck

fbitonti
06-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the input the next walk i do will be moving but for now i want to get this right. I made a few corrections. every one let me know what you think, mechanicaly and artisticly.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE CHANGES (http://www.designfb.com/walk2.html)

:beer:

Kruvi
06-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree about acting out the animation. I have done this for almost everything (even jumped down a chair in order to see how I'd land).

I think the shoulders still feel a bit stiff and if you'd want to make him look even more arrogant you could also perhaps bring in some more hand movement, perhaps the feet are a bit too quick too (I'd picture a character like that moving more slower, almost like trying to float, letting the body flow with the movement)

Keep messing with it I guess :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.