PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

JasonOsipa
06-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Pretend that all the best CG animators on the planet got together and decided to create an online school.

Okay, now pretend it's real.

Okay, now breathe.

www.animationmentor.com

Edit/Add: Here's a compiled FAQ by Jozvex (http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/am_faq.html)
--

[From Mod]
AnimationMentor has been officially announced today.
News is on CGNetworks:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=2191

BoomRat
06-05-2004, 02:17 AM
OK, I'm all for it.

If it lives up to the statements that the video makes, this is probably a good investment for animators.

I'd really like to see more info on it, not just a shiney video.

JasonOsipa
06-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by BoomRat
OK, I'm all for it.

If it lives up to the statements that the video makes, this is probably a good investment for animators.

I'd really like to see more info on it, not just a shiney video.

Who shat in your corn flakes? Nobody on the planet can ever claim 1/20th of that teaching staff. In most places I'd be a teacher and now there is a school where I'd be an entry-level student. That's such an amazing feeling! It makes me want to go to school!

(I DON'T have any professional association with that place btw. I've talked over email to a few of those people and MET one of them, so I know they're legit, nice people working on this thing that just want to give back to the animation community at large)

Cinabear
06-05-2004, 02:33 AM
I'M IN!!!!!

Where is there more info?
Cost, start date etc.....

jschleifer
06-05-2004, 02:37 AM
I felt the same way when I saw this, Jason! I want to go to school there! :)

looks AMAZING!

SheepFactory
06-05-2004, 02:49 AM
That is so awesome , cant wait to enroll!

JulianHo
06-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Now this is something I don't mind taking more lessons in.

Need more knowledge!

Atwooki
06-05-2004, 03:27 AM
Certainly looks full of promise and should be a biggY!
Sort of place I need to go....

Atwooki

pogonip
06-05-2004, 03:35 AM
Now that is amazing ....im so on that ...wow !!! :buttrock:

acidboy
06-05-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info Jason.

Sounds & looks awesome, I'm definately looking into it :thumbsup:

dreamernight
06-05-2004, 04:06 AM
woow ... cool site !!!

percydaman
06-05-2004, 05:04 AM
that just looks incredible!!:bowdown:

RobW720
06-05-2004, 05:42 AM
anyone have an idea of the cost?

crazy3dman
06-05-2004, 05:46 AM
I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!I can't wait!:bounce:

JesseDavis
06-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by JasonOsipa
Who shat in your corn flakes? Nobody on the planet can ever claim 1/20th of that teaching staff. In most places I'd be a teacher and now there is a school where I'd be an entry-level student. That's such an amazing feeling! It makes me want to go to school!

you do realize that there is a difference between internet school and real school I hope.

bentllama
06-05-2004, 06:20 AM
'bout time fer bentllama to catch up on a refresher!

looks very cool and promising.

count me in!

Jozvex
06-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Wow!

It looks awesome and I'd definitely go for it, but I've been doomed to 56k and there's nothing I can really do about it. Not yet at least.

If there have already been students, I wonder why we're only just hearing about it now?

:surprised

JasonOsipa
06-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by m0og0o
you do realize that there is a difference between internet school and real school I hope.

Haha. Yes. Yes I do. I have taught, both in classrooms and by putting out a book, and usually would find online instruction to be inferior (ONLY to the former) but from what I've heard (from uber-good sources, like 'm say, coworker friends <wives of participating ROCKSTARS>) they seem to have put a lot of time and effort (2+ years) into establishing workflows and propietary software to facilitate the easy communication in a visual manner that is essential to animation. In short, the best in the biz are teaching the way the best in the biz would like to be taught.

The way to make the best accessible, is for you to come to them. That's how you get them, that's how you hold them.

It's not hit the ground just yet, but when it does, I don't know what will or possibly COULD compare to that kind of feedback and guidance.

PS- Jason S. Haha. no school for you, you're too bloody good. (http://www.jonhandhisdog.com/movies/jschleiferReel.mov) Are they hiring? I'll take a class from the likes of you!

FloydBishop
06-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Do you have to pay to play so to speak? Not to take anything away from the school, but what's the difference between this and CGTalk or something similar?

If you have to pay to take part in this thing, what makes it worth it, other than the names involved? Why not just grab some free tips and tricks from people you meet online?

Just playing devil's advocate.

MosaFacku
06-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Do you have to pay to play so to speak? Not to take anything away from the school, but what's the difference between this and CGTalk or something similar?

i met one of those guys once, i learned more in a couple hrs talking with him than i did in 2 months of animation class at school.

so yah, sign me up in a heartbeat. i'd love to get my animation ripped apart by those guys.

PhilWesson
06-05-2004, 08:14 AM
i am so in. considering there isnt an art school within 50 miles of me, this is great. and the fact that you can do it from anywhere really helps out

dvasquez
06-05-2004, 08:48 AM
This is going to be an amazing resource for both students and professionals! I'm ready to sign up too! Bobby, you and your pals done good!

Opelfruits
06-05-2004, 12:57 PM
i'm in too

agreenster
06-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Im cursed with 56k as well and didnt watch the video.

Can someone post who all of these "super-awesome-animation-guys" are?

jipe
06-05-2004, 03:48 PM
You can download the quicktime version here: http://www.animationmentor.com/flvmovie.mov (8.9mb)

And to answer your question, here's the list from the video:

Gini Santos (Pixar)
Gavin Moran (Dreamworks)
Tracie Horie (Tippett)
Jeff Vacanti (Wild Brain)
Matt Logue (WETA)
Kevin Martel (ILM)
Jeremy Cantor (Sony Imageworks)
Dylan Brown (Pixar)
Scott Robideau (Disney)
Mike Belzer (Disney)
Jay Rennie (ILM)
Mark Behm (Blue Sky)
Mark Walsh (Pixar)
Mike Gasaway (DNA)
Mariko Hoshi (PDI/Dreamworks)
Rick O'Connor (ILM)
Jeff Riley (stop motion animator)
Carlos Baena (Pixar)
David Weinstein (ESC)
Glen McIntosh (ILM)
Bobby Beck (Pixar)
Mike Thurmeier (Blue Sky)
Delio Tramontozzi (ILM)
Cameron Miyasaki (Pixar)
Pepe Valencia (Sony Imageworks)
Shawn Kelly (ILM)

And then there's several guest speakers.. man, this sounds utterly amazing. I'm sort of worried that there's going to be an insane amount of people that sign up for it, though. And I'm not really worrying about the costs, because it has to be significantly less than going to a college or university while at the same time being much more helpful and worthwhile. I can't wait..

Opelfruits
06-05-2004, 03:54 PM
How long will it be before this is up and running?

baby
06-05-2004, 05:07 PM
looks great.

when do we start ?

floyd

from glimps of what you can see in the video...seems to me it's going to be serious teaching. I've seen there some lines-curves theory teaching, eye animation process...ect
stuff you don't usually see in those "give me your money" books.

SheepFactory
06-05-2004, 05:21 PM
one other thing that popped into my mind ,

how many students will they be accepting? , these guys all have demanding full time jobs and i dont think they can handle giving one on one crits to 500 people. I wonder if it'll be like 50 students every 3 months or something similar.

jschleifer
06-05-2004, 05:31 PM
guess we'll all find out as soon as they send out the email! I signed up for more info, so.. :)

most of the information presented in that video was exactly the type of training that I'd look for in a school.. and having worked with a couple of the animators shown, I can tell ya that they KNOW their stuff & would be amazing to learn from.

tuna
06-05-2004, 05:35 PM
This looks really cool :cool:

Awaiting more details before I speculate.

Virum
06-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by jschleifer
I felt the same way when I saw this, Jason! I want to go to school there! :)

looks AMAZING!

YOU want to go to school?

I feel totally useles... :cry:

:buttrock:

jschleifer
06-05-2004, 06:07 PM
never hurts to keep learning! the stuff they showed in the video makes me drool. :)

baby
06-05-2004, 06:10 PM
when I saw Victor N. :) at Kyle B. master class at 3D festival last year...
huhu...
I though the same...you never stop learning !! and that's good...
Jason I guess it's called humility too ;)

AJ
06-05-2004, 07:07 PM
That looks ridiculously cool! :eek:

Never before have I wanted to jump up and down, throw money at my monitor and scream "now! now! now!"

:D

abonora
06-05-2004, 07:51 PM
That is so cool!, hopefully they' ll give more details soon.
I'm definetely interested.

Sil3
06-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Lovely, already signed in for more info :bounce:

arliss
06-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Jason & Jason---> OMG, you guys are so amazingly good/ experienced and working in the industry and you want to enroll??! I plan on definitely doing this- I'm glad that I decided to hold off on going to school- I kenw something like this was going to emerge & find viritual learning to be more benefical anyway (multiple viewings of lectures, your own pacing, etc)- everyone is different though. From watching the clip it really seems that they put a lot of work into this and revolutionized the interactivity of online learning. I am in the process of going through the Gnomon Workshop and between that and this its amazing how much you can learn from the comfort of your own computer :cool:

**I'm not saying there are not disadvantages to this method of learning- obviously you miss the interactivity of your peers in real time and other intangables such as getting personalized instruction. If you are a self motivator and focused then I think it is a viable option

MaTaDoR
06-06-2004, 12:43 AM
sounds like a school for industry professionals only.. heh, I bet its gonna be full of people who are already working before anyone else gets in (nothing wrong with that I guess).

but I am extremely curious as to what the pricing will be like and if any other material would come out of this (dvd's and such).. would be awesome.

kemijo
06-06-2004, 12:52 AM
:eek: Hot damn. That's really cool!

Can't wait to find out more...this is an incredible idea.

tevih
06-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Hmm.. they say they offer live and personal feedback? Those animators have real jobs, too, ya know... How many people can that small group of animators handle?? Is there limited enrollment? Is it open to everybody or do you need some sort of portfolio to get in?

Seems like if you're (me) a noob this would be too advanced?

:shrug:

looks cool if I can get in...

And I hate you all if I cant. :p

BoomRat
06-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by JasonOsipa

Look, I meant no offense. I, unfortunately, have had a rather lousy experience with online learning. The instruction I recieved at the other place was less than stellar. It started out all shiney and it was just that, all shine, no substance.

I really, really hope that this works(YES, I SIGNED UP RIGHT AWAY) and gives me some really good experience.

SheepFactory
06-06-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by BoomRat
Look, I meant no offense. I, unfortunately, have had a rather lousy experience with online learning. The instruction I recieved at the other place was less than stellar. It started out all shiney and it was just that, all shine, no substance.

I really, really hope that this works(YES, I SIGNED UP RIGHT AWAY) and gives me some really good experience.

I dont know what online training you signed up to before but I highly doubt the instructors were as good as the ones doing animation mentor.

i have taken animation classes from pixar animators at academy of art and the experience was something you cannot get elsewhere. This opportunity is just crazy , anyone who is serious about animation should be doing backflips in excitement right now.

trust me whatever they charge , every penny will be worth it in spades.

Tom N.
06-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MosaFacku

so yah, sign me up in a heartbeat. i'd love to get my animation ripped apart by those guys.

me too!! haha.

I'm really excited about this, I can't wait to get more info. Thanks a lot for the post Jason.

and also, I think some people are taking BoomRat the wrong way, I think he was just saying "gimme more!" but chose the wrong words to say it haha.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna have butterflies in my stomach til I get my email from AM with more info! weeeeeeeeeeee

-Tom N.

verbal007
06-06-2004, 05:29 PM
The biggest question for me is price... considering I'm dead broke and still on the path to learning (90% self-taught).

Another question. Will the classrooms be forced fullscreen? It's just kinda annoying to have that video pop up on the middle of the screen... especially when workin on dual monitors. *shrug* Maybe I should just sell one to cover the cost of the class... assuming it's cheap.

It looks great though... something I'm definately interested in, and will be following closely, with the help of your mailing list.

:drool:

- Jeremy

jakiloblanco
06-06-2004, 06:20 PM
See, I'm totally up to take up these lessons, but the thing is, I'm still trying to work my way around maya... I am working right now, on brodcast, but only for 2D.... with flash ...The problem is that I want to learn the 3D side of things...

I'm wondering if they would have the patience to teach someone as "incompetent" as I am with the software, or if I just need to keep doing tutorial after tutorial to get a better grip of the the program before even attempting to try this out...

jschleifer
06-06-2004, 06:28 PM
not speaking for them, because I actually have NO idea, but I would guess that since they provide you with an animation rig, all you'll really need to do is learn how to animate. it looks like that's the focus.. not riggin and not modeling.. just pure animation.

and that takes minutes to learn software-wise.. :)

kevan
06-06-2004, 06:41 PM
it certainly sounds like a fantastic opportunity to learn from some weapons-grade animators. i too am worried about these poor people being swamped though. i would have thought that there's enough interest just on this thread to fill up the entire first intake of students!

mr schleif, shouldn't you be mentoring on that one? i think it'd be great, (we could have a hack section for how to spend that free 5 minutes...)

jschleifer
06-06-2004, 06:53 PM
lol! yeah, I'll create a virtual hack session via video.. it'll be great 'till we all kick the computers over. :)

Phearielord
06-06-2004, 11:24 PM
o man!!!
this is gonna be awesome!!
count me in!:thumbsup:

erilaz
06-06-2004, 11:53 PM
This is the greatest moment of my life. :drool:

Carlos freakin' Baena!!! :buttrock:

pollywoggles
06-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks Jason for starting this thread! This must be one of the coolest things for an animator I've seen online.

AlexAlvarez
06-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Why isn't there anyone from 'animationmentors' in this thread explaining what they're offering... its all so vague. There is basically -no- explanation of what that clip really means for anyone.

-Alex

fr3drik
06-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Wow. I wonder if they will take on less experienced animator students...? (edit) If not, it would be cool if they at least let us newbies register to get feedback from other users on their forums and stuff, just like CGTalk.

Jozvex
06-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by A.Alvarez
Why isn't there anyone from 'animationmentors' in this thread explaining what they're offering...

Hopefully because they're all busy working on getting the price down to $10 a student!! And optimizing it to run flawlessly over a 56k connection!

*crosses fingers*

baby
06-07-2004, 10:06 AM
don't forget guyzzz...

that animation doesn't mean watch a tut. or lesson and done...

animation means practice, practice & practice...over & over...

that's what I'm doing at the moment...I want to be animator now :)

I'm just saying that because I'm realizing that we are all like "yeeahhaaa...." but it still means working really hard to get the skills...

blax_ed
06-07-2004, 11:09 AM
hopefully they do what i expected them to do...
seems to be a big project...
lets see in a few months if they are launched!

Andreyev
06-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I thought that I know something about 3D and now I realized that i know almost nothing... I'm just wondering how all these people has gain sush a huge experience. Really great. :drool:

Jeff Lew
06-07-2004, 07:17 PM
This could be something major. There is surely some top notch talent in that list. I'll definitely check out what they have to offer.

Man, this is a good time to be alive, (barring all the political nonsense). Just think of all these great things to come: Gelato, prosumer HD cams, Sony PSP, wmvhd. I still remember trying to do ascii animation on my IBM with an amber monochrome monitor. My version of "hard drive" was when I never took my 5 1/4" floppy out of my computer. Kids, count your blessings! ;)

Jeff

daraand
06-07-2004, 07:56 PM
im doing it. signed up :)

AJ
06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by baby
animation doesn't mean watch a tut. or lesson and done...

animation means practice, practice & practice...over & over...

I'm just saying that because I'm realizing that we are all like "yeeahhaaa...." but it still means working really hard to get the skills...

Damn you baby! I was really enjoying myself until you slapped reality back into the discussion... :cry: It stings mostly because I know you are completely right. :blush:

Originally posted by Jeff Lew
Man, this is a good time to be alive. Just think of all these great things to come: Gelato, prosumer HD cams, Sony PSP, wmvhd.

You realise that if this were a war movie - your character would definitely die... :p :D

mmkelly011881
06-08-2004, 12:04 AM
signed up.. cant friggen wait... i wonder if there is a way that we could capture the critiques we get once we are signed up so taht we can watch them over and over again.. i'd value a downloadable critique over a live one..

kevan
06-08-2004, 12:05 AM
hello all,

i think this should answer a few questions:

Questions answered below:
1. How much will AM cost?
2. How are the mentors chosen by AM?
3. What format is Professional Critique given in?
4. Can I join at any time?
5. Should I take AM courses instead of traditional college classes?
6. How long does it take to complete a course?
7. Can I get feedback more than once on a particular assignment?
8. Can I see other student's assignments and hear the feedback given to
them?
9. What if I need to go on vacation? Do I miss out on those classes?
10. How long are the classes?
11. Is there an application process or can anyone sign up?
12. When can I sign up?

ANSWERS:
===============================================================
1. Q: How much will AM cost?

A: We have carefully designed AM as a one year intensive character
animation boot camp. Our school will consist of 4 courses, each made up of
12 video classes focused 100% on various aspects of character animation, and
each with a corresponding assignment tailored to reinforcing the topic of
that class. While you are encouraged to work at your own pace, 1 class per
week will get you through a course in about 3 months.

Because we are dedicated to bringing you only the absolute best personal
mentors available, and due to our exceptionally high bandwidth demands, the
cost of a full course will be comparable to art school prices; however, the
intensity of our program allows you to finish in 1/4 the time it would take
at a traditional art school, providing you with a much cheaper and more
focused experience! In order to ensure that AM is as customizable as
possible, students will also have the option to sign up for the individual
classes they are most interested in rather than the entire 12-class course.

================================================================
2. Q: How are the mentors chosen by AM?

A: All mentors are carefully selected by a team of professional animators
and teachers at AM. Decisions are based on both teaching ability and
animation skill, and all mentors are professionals currently working in a
feature-
animation studio. As currently working animators, we have a unique
first-hand knowledge of the skill sets of many of today's top feature
animators and we are dedicated to using that knowledge to bring you only the
best animators available.

Q: What format is Professional Critique given in?

A: VIDEO! That's right! No text feedback from Pros - it is all recorded
personally by your mentor as he/she interactively reviews your work!

Q: Can I join at any time?

A: Yes! AM is the next evolution of education. Old ideas such as
semesters and rigid start-dates are a thing of the past. Join whenever you
like!

Q: Should I take AM courses instead of traditional college classes?

A: AM has been designed to be an all encompassing source of character
animation instruction for our students. However, traditional art classes
such as figure drawing, sculpting, etc., would be extremely valuable
companions to our program.

Q: How long does it take to complete a course?

A: Ideally we feel you would be best served by following the full path we
have laid out for you - work your way through Level A and then Level B
before moving on to C and D. In an ideal setting you would be able to get
through each course of 12 classes in around 3 months. We encourage you to
move at your own pace, but too slow a pace may negatively impact your
animation education.

Q: Can I get feedback more than once on a particular assignment?

A: Absolutely! You will quickly find that multiple critiques are one of
the most powerful features of our site. Each week you will be allowed one
primary critique, but at the same time you will have an opportunity to
upload up to 2 other assignments of your choosing for recurring critique of
your latest efforts!

Q: Can I see other student's assignments and hear the feedback given to
them?

A: Yes! Our students will be constantly exchanging feedback with each
other, something we feel is the cornerstone of a solid animation education.
In addition, any professional feedback received by the students is viewable
by any other student! You can never hear enough feedback - even if it isn't
about your work!

Q: What if I need to go on vacation? Do I miss out on those classes?

A: No. You learn at your own pace. Review your current class as many
times as you like. Create your assignment at whatever speed you are most
comfortable with. Whenever you are ready for your next class or for
Professional Feedback, AM will be here for you!

Q: How long are the video classes?

A: Our lectures vary in length, but all are at *least* 30 minutes long!

Q: Is there an application process or can anyone sign up?

A: While we can initially only accept a limited number of students,
acceptance will not be based on skill level. You will not have to submit a
portfolio or a demo reel. We feel strongly that if someone has a positive
attitude and the eagerness to learn, they have the potential to be a solid
animator, and we want to make certain that those beginning students have the
same opportunity to learn as the most advanced students have!

12. Q: When can I sign up?

A: If you've entered your email address at our teaser site, you will be
among the first to be notified when the school officially launches and
begins accepting students. Currently we are aiming for a Fall 2004 launch.

good luck to them, i say!
k

mmkelly011881
06-08-2004, 12:16 AM
thank you for the response kevan... great answers
(goes to work up a bunch more questions)

i like the idea of the program having some form to it.. should help some of us keep in line :scream:

gruvsyco
06-08-2004, 12:48 AM
@Jason & Bentlama,

It's really nice to see such prominent figures on here giving the thumbsup to furthering education :thumbsup:

:buttrock:

Jozvex
06-08-2004, 12:52 AM
WOW x 100!!!

It sounds totally fantastic!! The only question I really have left is the connection speed question.

I'm only on 56k and have been told that ADSL will most likely NEVER be available at our house, because we're out of range of all exchanges but only by small amount.

The best option I really have would be ISDN :(

Bulldog
06-08-2004, 01:45 AM
This is such a great idea!

I'll be the first to enroll when they launch :thumbsup:

westiemad
06-08-2004, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a great idea, I'd be all for it, but its dependant on price for me too. How come theres no Jeff and Jason on the course, or will they be involved later?

AnDy

Jozvex
06-08-2004, 08:45 AM
I think it must be discrimination against people who's names start with 'J' Westiemad!

Only 4 out of the 26 names given in that video start with J.....that's less than 1/6th!!

No Jason Schleifer, no Jeff Lew, no Jason Osipa and no Jozvex!!

It's a real crime, we were born cursed.

:scream:

dmonk
06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
My wife and I are definitely down for maybe one course a month if it's not too expensive. This is perfect for our situation since we both have full time jobs and are buying a home soon. We couldn't really afford to go to Sheridan or VFS etc and still pay our bills. As long as you can truly work at your on pace this is truly a great idea. I would sort of treat this like a graduate night course.

One of my friends just finished a year at Sheridan and he made out better for it, but I am glad we held off since something like this has come along, which is more suited for our situation.

I'm wondering if the proprietary software they speak of is web based or will we need software at home to compliment it.

P.S.

Bentlamma, J. Osipa, jschleifer every one else who has a buisy schedule
If you were to enroll, how would you manage the course while working at the same time? You guys seem very busy, would you be taking some time off of work or just do this at night? Just interested.

agreenster
06-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Too bad I'm broke and still paying off art school loans. I'd love to sign up.

:rolleyes:

RobW720
06-08-2004, 02:26 PM
what about the people who are still in school? If this is another 40-60 grand out of my pocket i dont think i can do it :)

how about a current student discount ?!?! :p

abgrafx3d
06-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Sounds really cool :beer:
Can't wait to find out the details.

mummey
06-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RobW720
what about the people who are still in school? If this is another 40-60 grand out of my pocket i dont think i can do it :)

how about a current student discount ?!?! :p

Some how I doubt it. For this, we're _all_ students...

-B

westiemad
06-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Jozvex
I think it must be discrimination against people who's names start with 'J' Westiemad!

Only 4 out of the 26 names given in that video start with J.....that's less than 1/6th!!

hehe, it surprised me your not in it, although you are the god of rendering.

I'm hoping that they don't go stupid on the cost, its better to have lots more people at a low cost, than 5 people at a crap load of money.

AnDy

Tom N.
06-08-2004, 03:57 PM

lol seriously, damnit all we got was dylan brown, carlos baena, shawn kelly... etc.. how are we EVER gonna learn???

haha and yes.. im being sarcastic.. but im sure you were too :p

anyhew if this is gonna cost school prices then i think its time to put in some extra hours at work for the next umm 2 years and then i'll sign up, i can't wait for this.

-Tom N.

mockingbird
06-08-2004, 05:10 PM
the cost of a full course will be comparable to art school prices...
i hope this doesnt mean $40,000 !!
anyone have a closer figure?

peanuckle
06-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mockingbird
the cost of a full course will be comparable to art school prices...
i hope this doesnt mean $40,000 !!
anyone have a closer figure?

$40,000 crap the art school that I ALMOST went to cost $70,000 for 3 years and they said if you knew it just test out of it. Great I want to test out of what I wanted to goto school to learn more of. I hope this will be less than $10,000 if so I think it would be a good investment. I am REALLY hoping for it to be less than $5,000 though, but I doubt it will.

Tanner

SheepFactory
06-08-2004, 05:29 PM
i dont think it'll be any higher than $1500 per module. thats the amount we pay to classes in my art school..

If it is anything over that it beats the purpose of the whole thing and only a select few can apply.

Opelfruits
06-08-2004, 05:43 PM
i cant take it any longer, the suspense is killing me

chrisWhite
06-08-2004, 05:45 PM
This looks awesome! I can't wait to see more details. :buttrock:

jennifer1013
06-08-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm so excited about this! Learn from the masters!!! What an opportunity! And....you can experience it all from the comfort of your own home!

animboom
06-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey, Bobby Beck here. Sorry to be hiding for so long on the forums. We've been tremendously busy with the AnimationMentor site and announcement.

The FAQ we sent out will be a bit revised and will be going out to people who signed up on the website early next week.

As far as some of the concerns here.

1. We are working hard to make AM run on 56K. It's hard and so far we think we are handling it pretty well. The load times are much longer, but we're trying to make it accessible for everyone.

2. Why No Jason Osipa, Jason Schleifer... etc... Ha haa haa. Well... I guess you can't get every talented person. But we are looking for more input and more mentors so you never know. ;) I'd personally be honored to have them participate as Jason Osipa's book is pretty amazing and Schleifer's reel is about the best thing I've ever seen!!

3. Price. We are working out the issues now. in the meantime please look over the FAQ that's posted above and this will kinda guide you. We are not going to be anywhere near 40-60k. No worries on that.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks!

-BOOOM

Jozvex
06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by westiemad
hehe, it surprised me your not in it,

Haha, no way should I ever be on that list. I was only joking hehe.

And yeah the price is very important, especially for international students. The exchange rate today for Aussie dollars is $1 AUD = $0.70 US.

So if it costs $5000 then for me it'll be at least $7140!

*runs off to buy lottery tickets - lots of them!*

westiemad
06-09-2004, 07:25 AM
AnimBoom, thanks for the reply m8. I was messing about with who's supposed to be in it, not complaining :P, so many knowledgable people. Think I'll sign up for some info.

Jovex > true about exchange rates I think there are $1.76 to the £1 at the moment ;)

AnDy

Jozvex
06-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks for those added answers Bobby!

Originally posted by animboom
1. We are working hard to make AM run on 56K. It's hard and so far we think we are handling it pretty well. The load times are much longer, but we're trying to make it accessible for everyone.

I appreciate the effort as I'm sure many other bandwidthly challenged people do. I'm sure it is quite a task.

As it turns out I still have one last ADSL option that I'm hoping to succeed with! So I'm crossing my fingers for myself, and still managing to type.

Keep up the great work!!

:thumbsup:

Opelfruits
06-09-2004, 09:47 AM
how many people are going to be able to take the course?

agreenster
06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
If you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks!

-BOOOM

When do you guys sleep? :D

Seriously though, I am pretty excited about the possibilities of AnimationMentor.com, not only for the students, but for the sake of the industry.

There are so many unemployed animators/artists out there (myself included) that the more we have an oppurtunity to grow, learn, and network, the better the industry grows all around.

animboom
06-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Here's some answers to your questions: BOOM!

1. How many people can join?

We will be accepting a limited amount of students. Level A will be open to anyone up to a limited amount of seats, this way everyone has an equal opportunity to become a student. Level B and Beyond will have a screening process which is mainly to make sure that students are at a level to handle these classes.

For instance, if someone tries to jump to level C, then we have to make sure that they have done work that supports that they can handle a full body character and that they have a grasp of basic physical moement, weight, mechanics etc. Or else they will not grasp the material.

If people go through level A and B they will fully be able to comprehend the more advanced stuff. It's really important to have a solid grasp of the baiscs because that is really what everything in animation is based around. We strongly believe this.

2. When do you sleep?

Haa haa. What sleep? We don't drink coffee either? It must be all those Kit kats! ;) KaBOoom!

-BOOOOM

BarryRIT
06-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey Bobby. Thanks for the info dude! Very cool of you to fill us all in on some of this stuff. I assume then, those on the waiting list will be allowed into the A level course as other students currently enrolled complete the course and 'graduate' to the next level and open up seats?

animboom
06-09-2004, 09:44 PM
I assume then, those on the waiting list will be allowed into the A level course as other students currently enrolled complete the course and 'graduate' to the next level and open up seats? [/B]

Hey. Yeah, this is the idea. We want everyone to have euqual opportunity to be a part of this so it will be on a first come first serve basis, but open to people of all levels.

We're very excited about it as things are really coming together and the response from people has been rather good. We're doing our best to implement people's ideas and suggestions. Like in a good film, collaboration makes the best thing possible so we are really doing our best to pay attention to the input we're getting. Thanks everyone.

-BOOOM

foxco
06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
thats so awsome, i will definaly look into it

/fox

CGmonkey
06-09-2004, 10:32 PM
I think I just wet my pants. I was saving up for a trip to japan but this is something I'll rather spend my money on.

Great stuff, can't wait! :D

International Students can apply, right?

Opelfruits
06-09-2004, 11:05 PM
animboom - can you give us any specific numbers regarding price, date, etc?

animboom
06-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Opelfruits
animboom - can you give us any specific numbers regarding price, date, etc?

PRICE: In terms of price we're working out these issues currently. But as stated in the faq we're looking at each class costing somewhere in the ball park of an art school class. Not per year, but per level. There are 4 levels (we'll be launching with 2 of them), and a short film studies course (in the works). Each level consists of 12 classes. But we're treating each level as one class. If that makes sense.

LAUNCH DATE: We're looking to launch early this fall. It's been in development for about 2 years now. We're testing things now to make sure everything is smooth for both our mentors and our students.

Keep 'em comin' if you have more. ;)

-BOOOM

BarryRIT
06-10-2004, 03:51 AM
I just had a question about each class within each level. Is it basically a lecture of some kind followed by some sort of animation exercise? Maybe if you could give an example of what an individual class may consist of. Thanks again!

cosmonaut
06-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Any particular software requirements for this? Does everyone who signs up need a copy of Maya?

Ejecta
06-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cosmonaut
Any particular software requirements for this? Does everyone who signs up need a copy of Maya?

I was wondering this too. And if so would being enrolled qualify you for the student version of the software required.

Also I assume there is going to be software from Animation Mentors that runs the classes, video, etc. If so, will software be just PC based or will it run on linux and OSX?

animboom
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
I just had a question about each class within each level. Is it basically a lecture of some kind followed by some sort of animation exercise? Maybe if you could give an example of what an individual class may consist of. Thanks again! [/QUOTE]

CLASS STYLE: Each class is about 40 minutes or more in length. We've filmed and edited them in a "documentray" style where it's not just us in front of a black board talking for 40 minutes, but it's us going outside, looking at life, observing, filming footage, breaking it down, thumbnailing, planning methods, Going through shots, all new animations just for the classes as well as having a variety of input from all the amazing people we interviewed. We were also able to get permission to use a variety of different cartoons and film footage so we break this down and study it as well.

ASSIGNMENTS & MEDIUM: Any assignment can be done in any medium or with any software people choose. We offer software training in Maya because that is the largest industry standard package that most of our students will be using when they get jobs. For being a student of AM they will be the student discount of maya if they participate in a full level. Or they can download the personal learning addition for free which will get anyone by for all their needs at AM.

The assignments are based around the topic of each class. Each class builds off the previous class in any given level. Even though Level A might be seen as basic stuff we feel it is almost the most important of all the levels because this is the foundation of everything in animation. Getting to more advanced acting stuff is what everyone wants to do, but without a clear understanding of posing, timing, rhythm, cliche', etc. most acting attempts can be frustrating.

For people who want to "DO MORE" we have "overachievers" exercises to keep everyone challenged.

MENTORS: You can watch and learn from the classes, then practice the examples and assignments given in each class, then come back to the class if you want and watch it again for further understanding, then you can get real feedback from your personal mentor. Ask questions to professional animators in our periodic Live Question and Answer sessions, or on the forums or...the list goes on. There are many more things that make the experience pretty cool.

Wow, I sound like a TV ad. Sorry if that's cheesie. We're just super excited to give this thing to the world. It's a bear, but we've tried to make it as simple and easy for anyone to comprehend.

I hope this helps out. I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions. ;)

-BOOM

animboom
06-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Also I assume there is going to be software from Animation Mentors that runs the classes, video, etc. If so, will software be just PC based or will it run on linux and OSX?

AM will run on PC's, Mac's and Linux boxes.

It runs best on PC"s Using Internet Explorer (which is where about 90% of our hits have come from so far).

On macs and linux we're working out the kinks. I contantly look at it on IE, Netscape, Opera, Safari, etc. It's working on all of them currently so we're doing our best to make it very solid across the board.

All a student or mentor would need to have is FLASH. So, if you can see the teaser site you will be 100% fine when we launch the full thing.

Alll the "software" we've written is internal to Flash. I hope that answers your question.

-BOOM

Pinoy McGee
06-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Do I get a job offer at Pixar upon completion of this course? :drool:

animboom
06-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Do I get a job offer at Pixar upon completion of this course? :drool:

Good one. ;) Our best students will definitely be making contacts and connections from AM. Also, there are other features that allow our students to have their work seen by recruiters from the industry. You'll understand this more when you see the site. ;)

Hard work, practice and a good attitue will ensure that any person goes far.

-BOOOM

Opelfruits
06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm not really a big fan of Maya, but then again i have only tried modelling in it and not animating. Can you get discount on other apps?

What file format do you give the files to us in? Do you provide the characters etc in different formats so people using different apps can use them?

Do you get a qualification at the end of the course?

and Pinoy McGee - very funny

agreenster
06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Good one. ;) Our best students will definitely be making contacts and connections from AM. Also, there are other features that allow our students to have their work seen by recruiters from the industry. You'll understand this more when you see the site. ;)

Hard work, practice and a good attitue will ensure that any person goes far.

-BOOOM

This post alone is really making me want to be a part of AM. Pixar is the ultimate animation studio in my eyes. I swear I'd work for them for free.

Anyway, the biggest obstacle for me is going to come up with the 1500 bucks a class (or whatever it is, anything more than the cost of a sandwich is too expensive for me!)

BadMange
06-10-2004, 07:37 PM
This just gets better and better with each of Bobby's answers! I hope I can afford this, since I'm paying off my school loans right now...

-Bad Mange

fig
06-10-2004, 08:12 PM
this does absolutely rock :)

bobby, you mentioned "software training" in maya. does this mean that there's no specific maya knowledge required to get into the courses and complete the assignments, or that there is a separate course for learning the basics before you get into animating? or something else entirely? :) thanks, you guys are awesome...

chris

animboom
06-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey, all. Great questions:

1. SOFTWARE: I'll try to do my best to explain our take on the software issue. We do not believe that animation is about software and I hope you don't either. The buttons are generally the same across the board. Maya is the industry standard at most major studios and game studios. If you grasp the concepts you can apply them anywhere. We are teaching the ART behind animation and not the buttons you push to make something do auto overlaps. So we are not offering discounts on other software because this is not a software school. We simply chose Maya because it is the best in our opinion for an "off-the-shelf" software package. We want to provide our students with the abosolute best, and becuase the personal learning addition is a free download I hope no one complains about this issue too much. ;)

No knowledge of maya is necessary. We teach the software in 3 sessions Basic, intermediate and advanced. These 3 classes come free with any class you purchase of AM. You can start animating right after the Basic Class (about 40 minutues in length)! It's that easy to use the software. Really we've limited the amount of buttons you will need to use and have hopefully stream lined the learning curve. Again, the software is the tool and the art is the tough stuff that we're focusing on at AnimationMentor.

2. OTHER SOFTWARE FORMATS: Our characters are built in a very special "state of the art" fashion that makes it easy for anyone to learn how to actually MOVE a character and set keys. We made this easy enough so that my mom could animate (And she did!!). We really believe that software is secondary, but we are trying to offer the best possible solutions for people. So our characters are .mb maya files.

-BOOOM

SheepFactory
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey Bobby can you check your private messages ? :)

Solario
06-10-2004, 09:33 PM
but I'm just saying that if you want something badly enough you can make it happen.

Very true....

CGmonkey
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm just wondering.. You don't have to be US citizen to join AM, right? :)

agreenster
06-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by animboom 3. COST: Okay, first off what price can you put on a quality education? I went to art school with no money saved at all and because I knew "this is what i want to do!" I worked 2 full time jobs to save up to get in. And then because I worked so hard to get in I worked SO hard to learn and soak up everything I could, and I still try my best to do this. So, as far as cost goes we do have to pay to keep quality mentors and continue to offer great things for our students. I'm not saying you should work 2 full time jobs or what not, but I'm just saying that if you want something badly enough you can make it happen. Just a little side note here. ;)

Very true.

But I also think it's fair to say that most of us here are graduates (well, at least I am) and we also work 2 jobs (I actually have 4 - I teach Maya classes PT, do web design FT, clean offices and mop factory floors PT, and do my animation on the side, which is REALLY what I want to do), and already have lots of school loans to pay off.

The last thing I want to do is convince my wife to allow me to drop another couple grand on more school, when I dont spend any time with her anymore anyway, while I chase this animation dream.

Am I whining? I think I'm whining.

Point is, I dont think its that a lot of us dont WORK hard or have the right talent. Unfortunately, it seems like some of the time it's about who you know (or who knows you) or WHERE you went to school/are living. I dont know why it is, but I get the feeling that if I had gone to school on the west coast (instead of Indiana, where Im from) I'd be doing animation full time right now.

BUT, that's why I'm still working my tail off, trying to learn and grow, just like everyone else here.

fig
06-10-2004, 10:22 PM
sounds incredible bobby, thanks for the info :thumbsup: can't wait to hear more...

chris

animboom
06-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Yo.

1. DO I HAVE TO BE A U.S. CITIZEN: Not at all. the whole point of our school is to offer training from industry professionals to anyone anywhere in the world! That's been a biggie for us.

2. NETWORKING: Agreenster, about it being a lot about who you know I can say that this does definitely help. It will at least alert you to job opportunities and possibly get your demo reel on the recruters desk before the big stack of reels starts piling in. ;) At AM we will definitely keep our eyes open for the "talent" students and do our best to get their work in front of the recruiters.

3. AGREENSTER: Yeah, I know what you mean about already graduating and working and what not. We've done our best to make the classes in mind for people starting out as well as working folks. Sounds like you are well on your way, plus you one the 10second club a while back, right? ;) Keep it up!

-BOOOM

agreenster
06-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Oh my god.

You know me from 10SecondClub?

Now I feel uber-famous! A Pixar animator knows me! Holy crap! :bounce:

Man, that just made my day. :thumbsup:

Now if only some of the Pixar HR people knew me... :cool:

Jozvex
06-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Hopefully the only thing that could possibly stop me doing this course, is if I die of excitement before it opens!!

:scream: :scream: :scream:

lanedaughtry
06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
EDIT: Whoops, damn having several threads open at once...

-L

-dc-
06-11-2004, 07:56 AM
I think it is great what you guys are doing boom, and I know alot of people want to sign up... So my question is about the pricing. You tend to compare the pricing to art school quite a bit, which is usually overpriced for what you're getting - and you're saying you have to charge alot to get and keep good mentors?

if it's true all of the mentors/teachers have full-time jobs already, then any mentoring they do should be for free or next to nothing. If they don't have full-time jobs, then they should get paid to teach full-time. If the school is out to make a profit - then that's not a good thing in my opinion.

Hats off to you guys for being so organized and well planned - plus all the people involved, that's a good thing! You're making us all want to sign up, but not if it costs an arm and a leg!

And how are you going to avoid teaching the technical aspects when a rig is such an important part of animation and the dynamics of the software plays a bigger role than most people will admit to in the performance of their characters...
(forgive me - the td side of me coming out... :) )

I'm now awaiting the big official email from the list to see all the details! wee! :bounce:

Fluckrat
06-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by -dc-
if it's true all of the mentors/teachers have full-time jobs already, then any mentoring they do should be for free or next to nothing.

If the school is out to make a profit - then that's not a good thing in my opinion.

l-o-s-t-f-o-r-w-o-r-d-s-!

Phearielord
06-11-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm with you on that one Fluckrat! :surprised

Sil3
06-11-2004, 01:27 PM

if it's true all of the mentors/teachers have full-time jobs already, then any mentoring they do should be for free or next to nothing. If they don't have full-time jobs, then they should get paid to teach full-time. If the school is out to make a profit - then that's not a good thing in my opinion.

Without knowing for sure how much this will cost we are all only speculating here, but not getting payed or getting a low payment just because they already have full time jobs? Im sorry to disagree here, but that really doesnt make sense to me.

U are a TD at a well know house, u have a full time job right? would u work for (lets say) 10 bucks an hour teaching what u already know? I doubt it, but maybe u already did it :P

They will ask for a price, either we accept it and pay it or choose not to, i personally think that paying 5K for the entire course is expensive IMO, yes i know we dont have to deal with other classs that we are not really interested in taking them, this is a hands on aproach to CA and nothing more. But its still a e-learning and even with web cams and etc, its not the same as having the teacher right there next to us.

Im really anxious to see the full details of the course to, in fact knowing the price of it will make me decide if i can/want to take it, but i need to know it in the next couple of weeks or so, otherwise i cant wait since i had alread decided on a course before AM appeared and i need to sign for that one.

FlexGiddy
06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
My friends and I are attending college right now and we are poor as heck. So what we were wondering (even though we doubt it) was if this turns out to be rather expensive will AM except financial aid??? Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Ed

MLMckenzie
06-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Boom,
Another question:
An additional benifit of a traditional animation course is the assitance in putting together a demo reel. Will there be any help in this at AM?

Thanks
MLMcKenzie

mmkelly011881
06-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Great work so far guys. I cannot wait for more updates. :bounce:
Thanks for being on top of our questions so far. Here are just a few more :)

Is a FAQ going to posted on the animation mentor page soon?

Would we be allowed to use the characters provided on animation demo reels so long as we credit the creator? I'm asking because while i love modelling and rigging it takes me forever to get together a finished character that I am pleased with and has the correct functionality.

Side note: MLMckenzie are you over at RIT? How do you like their animation program?

animboom
06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MLMckenzie
[B]An additional benifit of a traditional animation course is the assitance in putting together a demo reel. Will there be any help in this at AM?

First off thanks for your support for the project and understanding of certain elements.

RIG: We have fully set up characters all ready to go. At my company as well as many major studios including many game companies animators focus on animation. We do have advanced software training where we teach aspects of contraints for props etc because that is something we have to deal with every day (as computer animators). But as far as setting up a full character and weighting it this is really an entirely different job. We will have very prominent industry riggers participating in our forums to help and explain the details of this. If there is a large demand we will try to do our best to add the resources if people see this as a need to progress their animation skills.

FINANCIAL AID: We are looking into this.

ASSISTANCE WITH DEMO REEL: Absolutely. We are pretty much dedicated to your success and learning. We don't want to push you out the door with nothing to show for it. Quite the opposite. Each level will have a work review where we talk about your improvements and where you can continue to improve, which pieces are your stronger ones, etc. At the end of Level D we help you taylor your demo reel to get the best results.

USING CHARACTERS ON DEMO REEL: Yes, that's the point. You can fully use AM characters for your demo reel and your continued education after AM as well.

GOAL: The hope for this school is to accept a limited amount of dedicated students and then we dedicate ourselves to your learning so we can help make your dreams come true.

-BOOOM

Animator305
06-11-2004, 03:50 PM
im excited.. seems like its gonna be real cool.. and its a school for CHARACTER ANIMATORS !!! how much better can it get right?? Im signed up and ready to burn.. Laters amigos,

Julian

mmkelly011881
06-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Bobby,

Animation Mentor's Stock just keeps going up. Man i can't wait.

A few more questions.
With the mentors. Are the students assigned to one mentor for the entire 4 courses or is it whoever is available to do the crits. (this isnt really a negative thing either way.. cus all of you are great i was just wondering.)

This whole project is really a dream come true so far since I've known I wanted to do animation since i was 12 (i'm 23 now) and spent my 4 years at college at an art school more to hone the creativity side and barely tapped into the animation stuff, except on my own. I got into a few great schools but ended up having to compromise to go to one that is not so great due to cash flow problems. My teachers saw animation of all kinds as a "Corporate Art Form." Without forums like this and the school you are all putting together I would be looking to spend tens of thousands of dollars to reapply to a school that is very far from where i live and it would probably take me quite a while to gather together a portfolio that i would need to be accepted. (80% of my figure drawing work was thrown out by a janitor the day after senior year ended (they told us we had 8 days)). I discovered this thread when i was just starting work the other night at my tech job and havent stopped smiling yet. I know that alot of other people feel the same way and are in even tougher situations. So, entirely truthfully and honestly this seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered.:D

MLMckenzie
06-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Matt,

No, I'm not at RIT's animation school. That's why I'm so jazzed about AM! This may well be my best (maybe last) chance at ever actually becoming a Charater Animator.
I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of tuition cost. It will either be a very good or a very bad day for me. :) But, the cost is only part of the equation.
We live in very exciting times.

Mike

-dc-
06-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not against getting paid to teach or getting paid to share your knowledge. I actually think it's great! I do a little of both...the free mentoring (one-on-one with students) and free guest lecturing (as long as the school pays the costs)... but I also do teaching and writing that I get paid $ for.

I am just looking out for the students in this situation, because I'm currently paying back that huge student loan, and I see a bunch of eager people that would probably pay whatever price they put on this - that's fine, as long as the school is covering it's costs and such, but I was just concerned about them being a for-profit company...so that's why I asked about the pricing... :shrug:

crap, I always sound like the disgruntled guy who is poking at whatever good thing someone is trying to do (not my intentions at all) :hmm: I think what they're doing is great (I want to sign up so bad!!) but I'm just voicing my concerns too...

mmkelly011881
06-11-2004, 04:58 PM
dc i agree with you there... im sure they will charge reasonable prices though and they do not seem to be really in it for the money although i believe they should be compensated to industry standards for the work that they are taking their time out to do plus the bandwidth. Thanks for playing devil's advocate though.. one of those is always needed to keep us grounded.

Tom N.
06-11-2004, 05:55 PM

if it's true all of the mentors/teachers have full-time jobs already, then any mentoring they do should be for free or next to nothing.

I like the sound of that.. you can be my free mentor ANYtime you want to hehe

-Tom N.

ah, I wish..

FlexGiddy
06-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Well that's cool then it's not a "no" so there's still some hope. Thanks for answering my question Boom.

Ed

animboom
06-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Here's some more answers:

1. ARE MENTORS DEDICATED OR DO I GET DIFFERENT ONE WITH EACH ASSIGNMENT? We pitched this out to a lot of people and got mixed reactions. After talking with some of the mentors we decided it would be best to have a dedicated mentor for each student per level (each level students will get a different mentor). That way the mentors get to watch their students progress and it winds up being a more collabortive effort between them. If they get feedback from a different mentor each time, (which we used to have) it becomes very confusing for the student because they get conflicting comments and was frustrating for both mentor and students.

However, if you purchase individual classes you get a different mentor with each class. That way we felt people will get the best of both worlds if they want to.

Matt Kelly, thanks for the awesome support. We full on appreciate it. Keep up the pursuit of your dreams, whether or not you do AnimationMentor or not doesn't matter, just keep the dream alive and strong!

-DC- I appreciate your concerns and think that's super awesome of you. We're not out to rip anyone off. We are out to give people a quality education becuase people need to go to school to get the training. But they wind up going to art schools for 4 years and don't usually animate until 3rd or 4th year and wind up with a subpar demo reel and a lot of debt. That is the exact opposite of what we're about. 1 year school, animation right out of the gates for a super fraction of the cost.

-DC- I also used to work at Tippett Studio. Great place!! I loved it over there. Such a great crew of people. Tell blair I say "hey!" So many good people in this inudustry it's amazing.

-BOOOM

SheepFactory
06-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Bobby can you check your Pm again :D

-dc-
06-11-2004, 07:21 PM

That is the exact opposite of what we're about. 1 year school, animation right out of the gates for a super fraction of the cost.
-BOOOM

that's all I needed to hear! thanks boom! Seriously awesome idea, whoever came up with the whole concept should get lots of praise!

-DC- I also used to work at Tippett Studio. Great place!! I loved it over there. Such a great crew of people. Tell blair I say "hey!" So many good people in this inudustry it's amazing.
-BOOOM

ya, and it's a small industry with many familiar faces! :) you guys are doing a great thing for the industry, and for the people who want to get in. :D

animation-angel
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Bobby,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions! I was wondering what will be the screening process to enter into level B and higher. And for instance, how would an applicant know whether to apply for Level B or Level A? Is A going to be for those new to 3d? Or should everyone, despite experience, take Level A?

For me, my concern is that I am working in 3d already, but want to learn more! But i have no idea what category I would fall into. Will applicants be places according to there needs even if they applied for a different Level.

BarryRIT
06-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Wow Bobby, thanks for all the great info dude. This looks like it should be pretty incredible. I was just curious when we can expect the FAQ to be sent out and if that will have the specific information on pricing and maybe a detailed description of each level and the classes within? Thanks again.

santos
06-11-2004, 09:55 PM
sounds really professional
thanx for the site
can't wait till it start :bounce:

animboom
06-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Hey Animation Angel:

1. SCREENING PROCESS: We're working on the screening process currently. You will most likely submit a link for us to view some of your work and we place your according to where we think you should be. People should not feel offended if we ask them to start in level A or B. These levels are more demanding than people might think and are the heart behind what we feel will be a great learning experience. Again there are 4 levels (we'll be launching with 2 and adding the other 2 shortly thereafter).

If you guys have a better idea on how to run a screening process I'd love to hear since that is the part we are currently working out.

2. FAQ: It's coming shortly. We are making certain to pay attention to your questions here and will be outlining a more detailed FAQ. if there are questions that are not answered here please let me know and we'll make sure to do our best to get to them. So FAQ will be within the next week or so. In the meantime I will do my best answer your questions. Thanks for your patience. We didn't know the response was going to be so overwhelmingly good! Thanks. It really keeps us going!

-BOOOM

AJ
06-11-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm no animator (hence wanting to sign up like a mongoose on crack*), but for the screening process - would it make it easier if you set a specific task (or two) that each applicant has to fullfill...?

That way you would be gauging everyone's approach to the same level, which should (in theory) make it easier to spot those who are ready for level B as opposed to looking at varying levels of personal work.

Just a thought. :blush:

*very keenly

agreenster
06-11-2004, 11:14 PM
If you guys have a better idea on how to run a screening process I'd love to hear since that is the part we are currently working out.

I think that sounds great. Personally though, I think I'd almost prefer starting at level A just to get a strong base.

2. We didn't know the response was going to be so overwhelmingly good! Thanks. It really keeps us going![/B]

Are you kidding? :drool:

Animators are the hungriest CG'ers out there. Any wiff of fresh meat puts us into a frenzy! The opportunity to meet and learn from our idols is like grade A prime rib.

Well, I've made myself hungry. Time to go for a sandwich.

kevan
06-11-2004, 11:37 PM
just wanted to wish you, carlos and everyone involved all the best with setting up this little (/big) venture, bobby. it's a fantastic opportunity for us little-uns....

good luck!
k

ps. sign back into AWN from time-to-time, you slacker. :)

Atwooki
06-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Looking forward to this sooo greatly, Bobby! - hope all the admin and organisation goes smoothly for yourself and the guys; My my :bounce:

edit: Would'nt screening by means of animating a short 'n simple file be more intuitive? Just a thought :shrug:

Atwooki

animboom
06-12-2004, 12:00 AM
That's for the feedback and the laughs. Grade A prime rib. Hee hee.

Also, thanks for the screening process ideas. We'll definitely take this into account. As I said we are kickin' around some ideas with this so I'll make sure to pitch this one.

Kevan: Hey, i'm back on awn as animboom. ;)

-BOOM

mmkelly011881
06-12-2004, 12:04 AM
i agree with agreenster... i want to be in A to have an opportunity to learn the basics much better.

in honor of Bobby "Boom" Beck i will be known all this week as Matt "FLOOMP" Kelly

*floomp being the sound of hair on fire

Mooncalf
06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Just wanted to add my voice to the praise train... or the antipication cloud... or however you want to descibe the intense energy AM.com is generating already...

This is certainly an opportunity like I've been craving for a while, and I hope I can get in when the time is right. Not only for the mentors (which, it goes without saying, will be amazing)... but also the potential to be classmates with the great people who've been posting here...

It's one thing to take a class you're excited about...

It's another thing to take a class you're excited about with a great instrustor...

But when the whole class of everyone is excited to be doing what they're doing--that's the kind of atmosphere for me! Bring it on! :)

- M

mmkelly011881
06-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Hell Yeah MoonCalf!!

Perhaps Class A will become the next Pixar... we'll call it Nixar (someone else will have to be creative director)

*Floomp*

animation-angel
06-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Thanks Bobby for answering my questions.

Level A, Level B...any level would be great! Plus no matter how much experience we have, we can always learn more. Like little animation sponges.
I think its great to submit a link to our work for the screening process. I hope that works out. I think giving a file to everyone to animate is also a good idea, but then you would have to give a time limit and make time for this exercise in your admition process, whereas giving links might be faster and easier for all.

Anyhoo, that's just one of the many possibilities.

Thanks again. And good luck with getting this off the ground!

Jozvex
06-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Well what about if they put a simple rig up on the public website. There could be instructions saying that if you haven't done any nice examples of your animation ability already, download this rig and animate one of the following sequences (or it could just be open to anything).

Then when you sign up it could say:

Animation Level:

1. Assess me! See my animation here: "URL"

2. Pick your level: A, B, C, D

So people could link to an existing animation, or to one they created with the simple rig.

JayCMiller
06-12-2004, 02:36 AM
*currently drowing in my own drool* :drool:

Hey Bobby will you be my Mentor?
but seriously great stuff can't waint to get into it. Big :)

agreenster
06-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by mmkelly011881
Hell Yeah MoonCalf!!

Perhaps Class A will become the next Pixar... we'll call it Nixar (someone else will have to be creative director)

*Floomp*

Now that we're giving ourselves nicknames, I always wish my parents would have had the sense of humor to have given me the middle name, "Neon," or "Forrest," or "Hunter." I think "Puke" might have been pushing it though.

Actually, many of my friends of hispanic descent enjoy calling me Greengo (like 'Gringo'). They always seem to think that's funny.

mattmos
06-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Hey Bobby and co,
this sounds like one amazing venture, hope it works out for you and hope to be able to take part - sounds like it will be a busy course!

Quick question, picked up on your 'ask the pro' over at cgchar that you have mentored students for 3 years now. Was that related to this, like a beta testing phase or did this grow out of that?

If the former consider me a very willing beta tester for you!

I also think that a couple of tests with a basic rig would work very well, though you might have to take into account the type of software people use etc...

Cheers and looking forward to more info,
Matt

BarryRIT
06-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey, thought of another quick question. As far as payments go...will we be able to pay in installments? or will it have to be a one time pay up front kind a deal? Thanks.

animboom
06-13-2004, 07:29 AM
More answers:

1. MENTORING OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS. I've mentored people over the internet and in person. AM really stemmed out from this idea. Shawn Kelly is a great teacher and Carlos is a an amazing teacher as well. When we put our heads together we just naturally thought we could maybe make something that would benefit the world and give people everywhere the opportunity to learn from Professional animators without necessarily having to move to the U.S. or California. We are beta testing AM currently with a "focus." We're pretty good to go with this already but thanks for offering your help! ;)

2. PAY ALL AT ONCE OR NOT? We're also working this out. We're looking into options for our students. We'll keep you updated as we get these issues ironed out.

3. EARLY ADMISSION AND MORE INFO: I've been getting some emails from people who want to sign up NOW. We're not accepting students at this time however people who sign up for our private mailing list will be the first to be alerted to our open enrollment and will also receive updates as we get closer to launch.

4. POP UP WINDOW: Do people mind the full screen pop up window? We're doing this for several reasons and one of them is that we're experimenting with full screen video and this allows us to get more screen "real estate." I've only had about 3 people complain about this pop up. I'm just curious what you all think? You can Send me a private message about this if this is off topic. Thanks.

-BOOM A LOOM!

Mooncalf
06-13-2004, 08:13 AM
The Pop-up Window:
I, for one, don't mind it. I've been as frustrated as anyone in the past by full-screen pop-ups, and browsers that take over the whole monitor--but in a case like this, I can it how it would benefit the learning experience. After watching enough training videos where it's difficult to make out the thin lines of a graph editor, or see exactly what's going on, I welcome the idea of full-screen video, and being able to get very "close" to the action.

The downside is that I'd have to alt-tab between the video and Maya, but I pretty much would do that no matter what size the video is. So, you know, it's kind of a non-issue for me. :)

- M

Jozvex
06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
I think the popup is fine, only when I first went there I wondered why the page was blank. My Mozilla Firefox browser was automatically blocking the popup.

I know it's silly but maybe you should say "A new window should have appeared. If popups are blocked, please unblock this site!" or something like that on the initial page.

Just a thought.

:)

fr3drik
06-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Fullscreen popups are REALLY annoying to us people with two monitors (website usually appears 50% on left screen and 50% on right screen). There shouldn't be too much of javascript programming to identify if a user is having two monitors, and in that case, make the popup just fill one of the screens (I'd just prefer to keep my web browser the way it is actually, without popups). Or at least make the popup resizeable.

Most usability/interaction gurus (http://www.useit.com/) claim fullscreen popups are often a bad idea. Mostly because nobody really knows what the user is doing as he/she enters a fullscreen popup website ...and there's never any warning telling you that "hey, make sure you don't have something else going on in your desktop, because we are about to hijack it right now". Also, full screen popups forces the user to perform more tasks (clicks, alt-tabs) to reach other windows (i.e. favourite 3d package, other web browser window(s), winamp, instans messaging app). Maybe it sounds stupid ... but it's all simple psychology and these things actually upset some people, not just newbies ;)

EDIT:
It would be cool if you had time to make the user choose which animation app he/she is using ...some animation apps can show web pages inside itself (XSI and Maya for example), which means you can watch the videos on web pages as you are actually in your favourite 3d app!
I think it's worth checking out.

CGmonkey
06-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by fr3drik
EDIT:
It would be cool if you had time to make the user choose which animation app he/she is using ...some animation apps can show web pages inside itself (XSI and Maya for example), which means you can watch the videos on web pages as you are actually in your favourite 3d app!
I think it's worth checking out.

That is an most excellent idea fr3drik ^_^
Actually every major 3d app can show webpages in a whindow now (maya was the last to implement I think).

great stuff :thumbsup:

animboom
06-13-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the heads up. We're looking into resizing windows, and detecting stuff. It's nice to get some feedback on this from CGtalk folks.

fr3drik, I'll definitely look into this 3D app/web page displaying thing. I wasn't aware of this. That sounds like a great idea! Thanks again!!

-BOOOM

Tom N.
06-13-2004, 06:18 PM

4. POP UP WINDOW: Do people mind the full screen pop up window? We're doing this for several reasons and one of them is that we're experimenting with full screen video and this allows us to get more screen "real estate." I've only had about 3 people complain about this pop up. I'm just curious what you all think? You can Send me a private message about this if this is off topic. Thanks.

If a professional animator from Pixar is teaching me how to animate, then you can give me as many pop ups as you want. Fill the screen with em for all I care! Not a bad trade at all..

-Tom N.

SheepFactory
06-13-2004, 06:25 PM
full screen pop ups is perfectly fine.

Notice to everyone:

I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Bobby , Shawn and Carlos yesterday about animation mentor for cg networks. We went into much detail about how the website will work. I am transcribing the interview right now and you guys will have a much clearer understanding of how the website will work after reading it and I am sure there will be no complaints , these guys know what they are doing :)

AJ
06-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
I am transcribing the interview right now

Dammit man! Less posting - more transcribing! :wip: :wip:

:D

Tom N.
06-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory

I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Bobby , Shawn and Carlos yesterday about animation mentor for cg networks. We went into much detail about how the website will work. I am transcribing the interview right now and you guys will have a much clearer understanding of how the website will work after reading it and I am sure there will be no complaints , these guys know what they are doing :)

Lucky! anyways, thats really great, thanks a lot to the four of you, I look forward to getting more info about AM.

Originally posted by AJ_23

Dammit man! Less posting - more transcribing!

seriously! haha

-Tom N.

clockwerkz
06-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Wow.. I simply cannot wait for animationmentor to get on-line.. this is going to rock. Down here where I live (Miami, FL), there are absolutely NO schools on character animation. The nearest school is about 4 hours away. I was contemplating going out west to something like VFS or San Fran, but that would entail wayy too much (wifey and I having to move out there and find jobs, housing, etc).

So thank you very much, Boom, and everyone else involving in putting this thing together.. I can't wait to see it start.

cW

daraand
06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey Bobby! Great replies and thanks ofr filling us in (:

One thing I noticed in the video is a chat with other people using live video - is that how you plan to do guest speakers maybe? Having a video presentation and then a sort of chat q&a session? It would be great ot have logs of these as well. Just some thoughts

As for applicant analysis... I know most arts chools require figure drawing studies and work to even consider students for their programs - I'm assuming you guys wnat to do something similar?

(: Very cool stuff Mr. Booom (hehe) - I'm anxious to join up (:

Bullseye
06-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Question for Boom

There has been a huge reaction to the character animation training that you are offering at animationmentor. Seeing all the people that are ready to sign up gets me a little bit discouraged that some people may get left out. I guess my question is:

Is there a max amount of students you are accepting into the course? If you have more than you can handle, will there be more mentors signed on to keep the program running smoothly?

I guess I'm just a little afraid it will be like sixty elmo dolls left in toys r us and there are 400 people rushing in.....

Maybe I am just a little nervous....

Jozvex
06-14-2004, 02:06 AM
For Bullseye:

Here's some answers to your questions: BOOM!

1. How many people can join?

We will be accepting a limited amount of students. Level A will be open to anyone up to a limited amount of seats, this way everyone has an equal opportunity to become a student.

For agentJ:

1. SCREENING PROCESS: We're working on the screening process currently. You will most likely submit a link for us to view some of your work and we place your according to where we think you should be. People should not feel offended if we ask them to start in level A or B. These levels are more demanding than people might think and are the heart behind what we feel will be a great learning experience. Again there are 4 levels (we'll be launching with 2 and adding the other 2 shortly thereafter).

;)

Mooncalf
06-14-2004, 02:30 AM
EDIT: oops... asked a question, then did a little more reading and found the answer here in the thread... ne'ermind. :)

- M

Bullseye
06-14-2004, 03:06 AM
sorry I'm we todd it :(

gr8spangle
06-14-2004, 06:18 AM
I've been looking forward to going back to school and getting the whole art school experience. Is AM really an adequate substitute for being in a physical collaborative learning environment? I fully realize the caliber of the AM instructors is exceptional and beyond what you would find at most art schools. However as I understand it one of the major purposes of going to school is to form contacts with people and lasting relationships that one will have through one's career. And I believe a big part of forming relationships with people extends outside the classroom, those spontaneous moments of going for coffee, hanging out in a lounge, going on road trips, etc. In a virtual classroom I don't think I'd have any of that beyond just the feedback and interactions with fellow students through the online forums.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from AM as I think it's a superb opportunity for anyone who doesn't have the option of picking up their lives and moving cross country to a school, but given all the other perks of being in a traditional school setting, I don't think it's for everyone. Regardless I am in awe of the talent that is signing up to share their knowledge with the community. :bowdown:

What are others' thoughts on this? If there's a large response to this question perhaps we should start a new thread...

Jozvex
06-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Depending on how many students they except, there may be some other students in your general area? But not that likely I suppose.

I think it's just a fact/limitation of online training.

Perhaps they could hold graduation events and everyone could try and go? But that's expensive.

:hmm:

Tom N.
06-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by gr8spangle
those spontaneous moments of going for coffee, hanging out in a lounge, going on road trips, etc.

Aspiring animators have time for these things?? What is your secret?!

hehe

In all seriousness, I agree that the college experience is definately a time where I made a lot of friends and grew as a person quite a bit. If I was faced with doing it all again, or erasing it in a trade for AM, I honestly don't know which I could pick. I kinda wanna slap myself for even suggesting turning down AM, buuut whatchya gonna do.

I think having a collaborative learning enviornment would be something that AM seems to offer but obviously on a much smaller scale. Think of it as your classmates being the people from ILM and Pixar.. live q&a, one on one mentoring, special guests.. Sure its all from your computer but the creators of AM really seem to know what they're doing and although you may not have the "college experience".. you'll definately have the knowledge of animation down and be able to put that to use and create a reel or personal projects. But thats just my opinion. Hopefully Boom will touch on this a little.

-Tom N.

clockwerkz
06-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Is AM really an adequate substitute for being in a physical collaborative learning environment?

Well, it really depends on the person. You could make arguments for both. Ultimately, whether you're attending classes or you're doing an on-line program, it's the old saying "you get what you put in to it." The question is if you live in an area that has great schools, would you choose AM over going to a school? Difficult to say.. I don't think any on-line program can replace the experiences gained in going to a school, especially for anyone just out of high school. Now I have gone to a few schools, and I am not happy with the one I was attending. AM is a godsend for someone in my position.
Also, art schools have been around for ages.. on-line communities are still infant in comparison.. I think it's going to take time before that comparison can be made fairly.

cW

starkhorn
06-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Wow. This is amazing news, especially for newbie's like myself who are still new to computer graphics and animation, so I'm really relieved to hear about a student level A. Being able to learn all that without having to travel is just brillant.

Like everyone, I can't wait.

Cheers
Starkhorn

animboom
06-14-2004, 06:53 PM
Good morning. aahhh. Monday!

1. GUEST SPEAKER/LIVE Q&A/ARCHIVES: The guest speakers currently are set up as pre-edited video interviews. We've already conducted several interivews with some amazing TOP animators with over 30+ years experience in directing/animating/teaching. We asked several students what kinds of questions they would like to know from these types of animators as well as asked more "advanced" questions that we would like to know. Hopefully this format will work very nicely as we wanted to have some guest speakers right out of the gate.

As far as Live Video Q & A goes, this was designed pretty much with this purose in mind. People will be able to ask questions to animators currently working in the industry and get to meet them and get familiar with them. A lot of the times these "guest speakers" (which is separate from the actual "guest speaker" Feature of our site so it's almost like you're getting two types of guest speakers now that I think about it. ;) will be mentors. So you will get to know the mentors more one on one.

As far as achives or "logs" go, we will always have the previous guest speaker and current guest speaker up for you to view.

2. FIGURE DRAWING CLASSES: We definitely stress getting yourself a sketch book. We also have "sketchbook" pages for you to up load for review and for other students to see including thumbnails etc. We don't offer Online Drawing classes but have some GREAT things in the works that will help give people a good opportunity (phase 2).

In the mini FAQ we sent out last week we said we definitely see AM as a full animation training program, but taking classes at a local JC or public workshops for drawing would DEFINITELY complement our program.

3. HOW ARE WE GOING TO HANDLE DROVES OF STUDENTS: AM is not a school where we want to take EVERY applicant. We will allow anyone to take Level A (up to a limit of course) but our goal is not to shove as many students into the program as possible. It's more about accepting students who want an accellerated and "cost effective" method of learning character animation.

Accellerated meaning we have 1 year of schooling and a short film program in the works. If you just choose to do the 1 year program we feel that most anyone who dedicates themselves fully to the program would be ready to work in the industry within a years time. Or they could continue to develop their own short piece to further their education.

We've designed AM very much with your portfollio in mind. We want to see people succeed and make their dreams come true.

Cost effective meaning our one year program costs a fraction of what most art school program costs in a given year.

4. IS AM A GOOD SUBSTITUTE FOR REAL SCHOOL: AM is for people who want an accellerated and cost effective learning environment. It's also for people who are animators currently and who want to push their skills "to the next level"

Student Experience: We feel AM is unlike any internet experience we've found on the internet. We have worked very hard to make as many "community" features as possible. But does that substitute for real interaction with students? I'd say no. I met some of my best friends in art school, including my wife. But we've done our very best to make an environment that is both collaborative and community driven as we could possible muster. ;)

Teacher Experience: I actually believe that AM's learning environment is superior to learning in a classroom. Maybe I'm a little nutty for saying that. but our classes are well thought out video lectures with mulitilple points of views, examples, reference, us actually going through shots, etc. Not only will you have your own dedicated mentor who will get to know you but you will have things like Live video Q and A where you meet other mentors, other animators, etc. If your work stands out there are many ways for us to "see you" and the networking of AM is such an exciting part.

We really tried to design AM with you in mind. We want to dedicate ourselves to your success. We want to give the world the opportunity to learn from industry professional (professionals that we think are the absolute BEST). It's all an experiment because no one knows how well it will go. But we are dedicated to making it better.

Thanks for listening to such a long LONG post. ;)

*I hope you guys enjoy the upcoming interview we did with SheepFactory. The guy was SUPER cool. Until then. Thanks for all the great response.

-BOOOM

clockwerkz
06-14-2004, 07:07 PM

In the mini FAQ we sent out last week we said we definitely see AM as a full animation training program, but taking classes at a local JC or public workshops for drawing would DEFINITELY complement our program.

Hi Boom,

The FAQ you're referring to.. is that the one on this thread, or did you e-mail one out to those that have signed up? Just wondering because I haven't recieved anything.. :surprised:

cW

Jozvex
06-14-2004, 11:47 PM
With the different Live sessions, will there be multiple opportunities for each one?

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have a Live session at 1pm Animation Mentor time, for some people it could be 3 in the morning!

Will there be a few chances per session? Or is it just up to the students to be awake at the time? Hehe.

FUG1T1VE
06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Whoa. After reading all this and this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89980). I too worry on the cost. Tuition, in the US is going up faster than some of us graduate.
Just what kind of financial aid will be acceptable?US Financial Aid? (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) Sallie loans (http://www.salliemae.com/)? GI Bill (http://www.gibill.va.gov/)? half-priced scholarships maybe(for those whom are talented but can demostrate financial assistance)?

How are mentors assigned to students? Ramdomly? Can I choose my mentor (if so can I get first dibs when I sign up hehe)?

May I see a description of each module? Similar to those of a college catalogue.

hey hey what about a graduation party with the mentors so that (insert stuff that happens at graduation parties here) we can network in the flesh. :applause:

At the end of the day if I learn the basic techniques and other relevant skills so that later on in my own I can animate a 600 pound 8 legged-creature with tentacles as hair, chasing me around my room, while animating on my laptop. Count me in. :)

Looking forward to the interview.
PS: as much as i hate pop ups for this sort of thing they are great.

agreenster
06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Damnit, I want to do this SOO bad.

Sounds to me like if one is (very) successful in AM, then they are almost guaranteed a job at a major studio. (partially because that also promotes AM as a school that turns out employment-worthy 'graduates', nothing like an agenda for an agenda)

Damnit, I want to do this SOO bad.

Too bad I just bought a G5. Broke again...:applause:

(hey by the way Boom, doesnt Pixar use G5's now??)

Neil
06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
I haven't read every post (sorry), but I did notice one thing. Why is it that there is little representation of Japanese companies on here? Like Square, Capcom, Konami. We can't exactly say that they don't know how to animate.... so is it a lack of effort on our (Americans) trying to recruite them, a language barrier, or are they not interested?

Have you tried recruiting anyone?

Just curious...

Thanks.

ghopper
06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by agreenster
Too bad I just bought a G5. Broke again...:applause:

Can't you give it back ? Or sell it and get an AMD system, good enough for 3D as well and much more cost effective ;)

mmkelly011881
06-15-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm trying really hard not to live in this thread

LONG post eh?
it felt like it went by like that! *snap*
keep em comin!

edit: deleted most of it because it was ridiculous tripe... (thats what happens 5 hours into answering tech support calls for accounting software)

clockwerkz
06-15-2004, 01:50 AM
agreenster:
Dude, your stuff is really good. If you've been submitting your stuff out to the studios and nothing's happened, then either something's up with the demo reel or you're like a hair length away from kicking a$$ and taking names. Seriously, dude, I really like your animation.. I loved the piece on 10 second club that won. So if we're in the same "group" together on AM, keep on eye on my stuff for me? :) Can never have too many mentors, I always say!

Neil:
I'm sure they've thought of that.. maybe they're featuring some japanese animation artists on their spotlight interviews. Remember, some of those guys (from AM) are from Pixar, and they have a huge appreciation for japanese animation. The DVD of Spirited Away has an intro from John Lasseter. So I seriously doubt they overlooked them.

About the possible cost.. The fact that you'll have people from major animation studios looking at your work, and critiquing it is just totally worth it. It's difficult to price that. I keep drooling evertime I think about it! :applause:

cW

jennifer1013
06-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Sounds to me like if one is (very) successful in AM, then they are almost guaranteed a job at a major studio.

I agree that it does up your chances to secure a job at a major studio if you participate in AM.....but.....I don't think a job is guaranteed per say......

I think that it's a common misconception that students think that they're guaranteed a job in the industry upon completing a program or school. Alot of art schools imply this in thier advertising. It's not the school that gets the student the job, it's the work that they produce and the contacts they make. I've seen alot of folks crash and burn going to school, spending alot of money and upset when they don't have their "dream job" after school.

I think, that if you go into something with huge expectations - it's going to be a huge let down when and if it doesn't happen. If you go into it with a positive attitude, establish some realistic goals (become a better animatior, learn some new tricks, meet great people, and most of all, have fun), you'll go much farther. Success takes time and patience - when the time is right, and you've grown enough to get where you want to be and work really hard - it will happen.

agreenster
06-15-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by clockwerkz
agreenster:you're like a hair length away from kicking a$$ and taking names.

Wow. You're perceptive! Ha ha! Seriously though, thanks for the compliments man. I still have a LOT to learn though...

Plus, it doesnt help that I dont know anyone in this industry, except for the people I meet here and over at CGChar. And I'm from Indiana. :hmm:

I just dont think many studios are hiring people with little experience.

Originally posted byjennifer1013I don't think a job is guaranteed per say...... when the time is right, and you've grown enough to get where you want to be and work really hard - it will happen.

Hey, I totally agree. I'm just excited about A.M. But then again, all that's easy for you to say: you're employed. ;)

In all honestly though, I would seriously do animation for free (which, if you think about it, I already do) because I just love it. LOVE it. Creation is cathartic for me. (and for all animators, I'm sure) There's nothing like breathing life into an object and emoting through it. Its awesome.

baenca00
06-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Why is it that there is little representation of Japanese companies on here? Like Square, Capcom, Konami. We can't exactly say that they don't know how to animate.... so is it a lack of effort on our (Americans) trying to recruite them, a language barrier, or are they not interested?
Have you tried recruiting anyone?

Well, it was time I started posting in here.
It's been pretty busy. Thanks to Bobby for keeping up with a lot of these posts.

Neil, we are more than aware about other animation companies and studios around the world. We would be more than interested in more places. We simply couldn't access or contact all studios from around the world. Trust me. I wish we could. But then again, and for the benefit of the students, we tried hard to make sure that every single person we contacted and interviewed, had the animation dedication and enthusiasm that made them inspire us.

So, for us it's not an issue of let's contact ALL the studios. Instead, it was like, we know these people from these many studios. Well, we know these people really CARE about animation and they really know what they are talking about. To us, that was the major issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. In the future hopefully we will be contacting more people and more places. around the world.

Carlos.

Jozvex
06-15-2004, 10:19 AM
*tries to think of a reason to post other than to say*

Go Carlos go!!! Love your animations!

*but can't think of one*

:blush:

starkhorn
06-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Perhaps a silly question and apologises if it has already been asked......but.......

I'm not entirely sure that I understand the exact method of connecting to AM.

Will we need to download and install some sort of client software that connects to an AM server via the internet ? If so, will we have information on which ports need to be open on firewalls ?

Or is simply using a suitable internet browser and connecting to an url ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Starkhorn

Neil
06-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by baenca00
Neil, we are more than aware about other animation companies and studios around the world. We would be more than interested in more places. We simply couldn't access or contact all studios from around the world. Trust me. I wish we could. But then again, and for the benefit of the students, we tried hard to make sure that every single person we contacted and interviewed, had the animation dedication and enthusiasm that made them inspire us.

So, for us it's not an issue of let's contact ALL the studios. Instead, it was like, we know these people from these many studios. Well, we know these people really CARE about animation and they really know what they are talking about. To us, that was the major issue.

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. In the future hopefully we will be contacting more people and more places. around the world.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed that it's the 'usual suspects' that pop up on here and other tie ins with this site . I am intrigued by the Japanese studios and always marvel at their work, so I figured that you guys would be a good person to ask. I see this a friendship and a parternship that you guys are starting (friendship because everyone seems to already know each other). So that's why I was wondering if these 'friendships' are limited to US companies. Is language that big of a barrier?
Has anyone actually gone to Japan to work in the animation industry... or is there no need to because of their vast vast talent pool?

I understand your limitation and time, but my questions are more 'what if' geared, and not 'why didn't you' geared.

daraand
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
because I just love it. LOVE it. Creation is cathartic for me. (and for all animators, I'm sure) There's nothing like breathing life into an object and emoting through it. Its awesome.

haha, rock on man. you said it right ;)!!

Jozvex
06-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by starkhorn
Will we need to download and install some sort of client software that connects to an AM server via the internet ? If so, will we have information on which ports need to be open on firewalls ?

Or is simply using a suitable internet browser and connecting to an url ?

They've said that all you need is a web browser that supports Flash. There's no custom software etc.

erilaz
06-16-2004, 02:33 AM
*tries to think of a reason to post other than to say*

Go Carlos go!!! Love your animations!

*but can't think of one*

:blush:

Heh... my thoughts exactly.:D

DimitrisLiatsos
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Enlisted...hopefully also will be a student...i really want to do this...

Is there any problem with an 128k ISDN modem...sorry couldn't read all posts

Please tell me that there isn't a problem with my modem speed ..

:bounce: :bounce:

clockwerkz
06-17-2004, 12:01 AM

;)

AM just got plugged.. sweet deal.

Ya know..with the recent plug, I'm hoping someone will be revealing some new info on AM. I am sooo stoked about this.

chlywly
06-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Wow thats incredible :) I'm definetely going to be checking back.

rexfang
06-17-2004, 02:52 AM
I'm IN BABY!!!

Mooncalf
06-17-2004, 03:20 AM
Hey y'all,

The Boominator mentioned, I think, that a mini-FAQ had been sent out to everyone who had subscribed for more info at AM.com. I believe someone mentioned they hadn't received it, and I haven't either... I was curious if anyone had, or if I'm misinterpreting something? :)

Obviously, none of us want to miss the earliest news about anything, you know?

- M

BarryRIT
06-17-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by clockwerkz

Ya know..with the recent plug, I'm hoping someone will be revealing some new info on AM. I am sooo stoked about this. [/B]

Yeah man, I'm drooling for more info. Hey Sheep Factory, when can we expect that interview you did with the founders to be posted???

:bounce:

FLOw
06-17-2004, 04:43 AM
dang it, I who allready sold my sole to the devil...do you people take money?:scream:

FloydBishop
06-17-2004, 04:52 AM
And I'm from Indiana. :hmm:

I'm in San Diego, and I work with a guy who is from Indiana. You guys are everywhere.

Jozvex
06-17-2004, 05:10 AM
I never got an email either Mooncalf.

jono338
06-17-2004, 06:14 AM
There should be a law against this sort of thing. This is getting unbearable; like, um, WHEN?

animboom
06-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey, all. It's me again.

1. WHERE'S THE FAQ? We did a mini faq that is on page 5 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147156&perpage=15&pagenumber=5) of this forum thread.

The mini FAQ was really just to feed you hungry animators some extra info. Currently we are focusing on Meeting our Launch date and will keep those who signed on to the email list up to date with the latest news.

2. 56k? We're really working on this but because of the huge media demands that our site is asking from the internet I would say that broadband would be the way to go. (sorry for those who can not get it. We're doing our best but the nature of the project doesn't lend itself too well to dial up).

3. WHEN DO WE SIGN UP? We will be accepting only a limited amount of students in the beginning and that number of seats will grow in accordance to keeping the quality as our number one focus.

Students who signed up for our email list will have priority on news, enrollment and other such stuff.

Thanks for hanging in there and being patient. We really appreciate it.

-BOOOM

Tagi
06-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey Bobby,

I have a question of a different order. I just LOVE watching student / in progress animation.... Will student animations or anything be made available to the general public... like will there be anyway to enjoy the work produced with out signing up for a level?

I guess i'm talking about a feature gallery etc... normally I suppose you'd do this for promotional reasons... heh but I think you've already got enough interest for the next 10 years.

Just thinking of all these cool test animations I'll never see is making me cry...

If only I could find the cash :)

Cheers.

orangejulius
06-17-2004, 07:58 AM
trhank you for another sponsored announcement. more advertisements. just like tv. thanks.

Mooncalf
06-17-2004, 08:30 AM
We did a mini faq that is on page 5 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147156&perpage=15&pagenumber=5) of this forum thread.

Cool, thanks Bobby! :) I saw that, but didn't know if there was something else in the mail. We're all just so anxious, I guess. Didn't mean to start a panic or anything...

Good luck with the rest of the preparations. I hope the rest of the AM team are aware of the excitement and support that's been building... :)

- M

Jozvex
06-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Tagi
Just thinking of all these cool test animations I'll never see is making me cry...

Maybe CGTalk or AM could create an AM WIP forum that is viewable to the public?

kassun
06-17-2004, 08:53 AM
This is going to be a wonderfull opertunity. I like most ppl have a fixed budget and school load debt. I worked 3 jobs to pay to goto Jason Busby's I-12 classes, Great instructor and great school, It wasn't till after I graduated that I decided that Character Animation is where my intrests lie. So it will come down to the price of the classes. My hopes are that your classes are within my reach, I have the passion and drive. But like most, it will all come down to the dollar amount. Do you guys need a hose keeper?:)

I was down there when Jason Schleifer was interviewed on the radio show, what an inspirition. Jason How's the puppy (Milo) doing?:)

Thanks for your time,
Kassun

lestdog
06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Man arn't these AM guys the smartest people on Earth? Not only are they going to rake in the dollors on this project but they are going to train and sweep up all the best talent in the world..

westiemad
06-17-2004, 10:41 AM
sounds like its coming together nicely. Good luck with all of it Animboom. Being 90% self taught this could be what i'm looking for, although what I really need like many other is purpetual motivation, its key :).

AnDy

westiemad
06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
sounds like its coming together nicely. Good luck with all of it Animboom. Being 90% self taught this could be what i'm looking for, although what I really need like many other is purpetual motivation, its key :).

AnDy

Kid-Mesh
06-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Defintely In....HURRY UP! :bounce:

Pipen
06-17-2004, 12:56 PM
omg, this looks amazing!!! :drool:

anyone more beset in this "project"? I would like to know if you have a chance if your a beginner in the subject, i only worked with graphical design erlier. but i really want to start with 3d. are there any knowledge entrance requirements?

Quizboy
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
There should be a school like this for concept sketching/texturing/rendering as well.

lestdog
06-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Quizboy
There should be a school like this for concept sketching/texturing/rendering as well.

I see that Alex Alvarez buzzed in on this forum, I bet his clock is ticking on all this. What do you think gnomon will do next?

status quo
06-17-2004, 02:55 PM

i think the school looks like just "give me your money".

something like cgtalk for crits would be more useful.

with the crits do they tell you exactly how to do what they are talking about?

for me i'd either buy some books and plug away or go to a local college or something.

not impressed.

plus the guy that started the thread seems "unprofessional"

i'm still intrested.

$3000 - $5000 max and i'd consider it (for the entire course).

agreenster
06-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Floyd Bishop
I'm in San Diego, and I work with a guy who is from Indiana. You guys are everywhere.

Yeah, there's something about us Indiana people. We are very hard workers (must be all the farming) but we all want to get out. (must be the winters) Seems like no matter where I go, I meet people from Indiana.

ThomasMahler
06-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Whoa, now that's cool news! I used to dream about sitting in a Richard Williams Animation Class and now learning from guys like him could be reality... I hope it won't be too expensive, I'd love to sign up!

You know, I was already really excited about 3dBuzz but AM sounds like "the step further" - getting critique from some guys over at Pixar and learning directly from the front... What can I say? I love the Internet!

PS: The site won't work with WinXP/Opera - I just see an AM Button and nothing happens. Does it currently only work with IE, or...?

3dSnail
06-17-2004, 03:40 PM
hey, it looks awsome like everyone says. And hell, who on this site wouldnt want to sign up. But thats the problem, theres so little of them (the 'mentors') and so many of us ('students').
I mean i drolled and got a bonner over it when i saw it (no not really) like everyone else, but honestly for them to teach us all, AND to continue working on feature films etc, it just doesnt add up. There would be alot of viedos that would have to be downloaded, and then if you have questions, you can ask when they aint busy or something. Cant figure out how else they'd do it.
I'm praying to god, and even blowing out birthday candles, wishing and hoping that animationmentor will be as avalible to everyone as everyone hopes, but it just seems too good to be true.
That said, i think what these guys are doing, is f***ing excellent, and deserves everyones respect (IMO anyway). Coz they dont have to do this oviously, they wont to.
Cheers!

baenca00
06-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi there,

STATUSQUO:
Thanks for the feedback.
The idea/concept we are putting together, is that through online video classes (where professionals get in detail about how we approach animation), through personal feedback from mentors to students (doing different animation passes and working with them interactively/personally through webcams), along with a good number of other tools (standard forums, chats, guest speakers, live Q&A with opportunity to ask live questions, and more)...we are hoping to create a learning environment that will help the students focus 100% in animation and learn more directly and efficiently because professionals will be working with them personally without having to worry about distance. Me being from Spain, it was a big issue to come to the US to learn animation from people that knew what they were doing, so I think this will help a lot of people all over the world.

THOMAS:
Thanks for letting us know about "Opera". We'll let the technical people working with us know. Our goal is to have the School working on every platform and every web browser that is able to work with Flash.

Carlos.

Lekku
06-17-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm really interested, but I need more info (price, software req. etc.) before I decide. The miser in me is screaming out, "How MUCH?!?!"

JavonX
06-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Some thoughts I came up with when thinking about it:

Having a professional, talented mentor from pixar is great, but as you said this guys have a full-time jobs already.
And IMO, for a mentor to be helpful he has to spend time with the student, and I don't know if a few hours will be enough.
A mentor can be a wonderful thing, but he really has to spend some time with you. It's not like they gonna chat and talk with you 8 hours a day.

Will it be so much better than just buying the books and lock yourself in a room? I'm not saying that books are equal but that books will teach you the same, I mean they were the same professionals that wrote those after all.
And for critic you have cgtalk and other great forums.

And it's not like you have to talk to a pixar guy for an hour and your an animation god. Just like you're not gonna be a guitar god after playing with joe satriani for a few hours, it will be an awesome expirience thats for sure but he can't boost your skills in that short time. Practice is still the key, no matter what.
Those people can not slove your problems with a sentence (I kinda have the feeling some people like to think that).

One just has to try it, I can imagine that their system works but it could also fail (also depending on the student)

I guess what it all comes down to, is how much it will cost.
If it is a good value, I'll be interested

Anyway, I think it's great that they try it, it sure sounds like one of the better "online schools"and it certainly is good for people who have no real alternative

snovak
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
I just spent my entire morning reading through this thread. I'm extremely stoked. Looking forward to that interview Sheep Facroty (no rush ;)) Has that been posted yet?

Originally posted by 3dSnail

I'm praying to god, and even blowing out birthday candles, wishing and hoping that animationmentor will be as avalible to everyone as everyone hopes, but it just seems too good to be true.
That said, i think what these guys are doing, is f***ing excellent, and deserves everyones respect (IMO anyway). Coz they dont have to do this oviously, they wont to.
Cheers!

I'm right there with you 3dSnail!

Boom: How many students will be admitted at first?

*goes to look for birthday candles*

lestdog
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM

Cheers!

I'm sure they want to because this a passion of theirs and ours, but there is no denying that they know this could be very profitable to them. Im still a bit perplexed though, they say they are going to charge somewhere in the range of a competitive art school? Okay I dropped 50K in art school (just tuition alone) and thats cheap! But these guys are virtutally dealing with very little over head here. I know they haven't said a price yet, but I don't know. Seems a bit outrages to me to compare an art schools tutition to online learning. But we'll see.

lestdog
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM

Cheers!

I'm sure they want to because this a passion of theirs and ours, but there is no denying that they know this could be very profitable to them. Im still a bit perplexed though, they say they are going to charge somewhere in the range of a competitive art school? Okay I dropped 50K in art school (just tuition alone) and thats cheap! But these guys are virtutally dealing with very little over head here. I know they haven't said a price yet, but I don't know. Seems a bit outrages to me to compare an art schools tutition to online learning. But we'll see.

lestdog
06-17-2004, 04:26 PM

Cheers!

JavonX
06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Double Post

JavonX
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Triple post sorry
No thats what I call lag, what's up with the cgtalk server? This post was not here 5 min ago

JavonX
06-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Forth post
What's happening? The whole site reacted very slow, I wrote my reply with firefox 0.8 but never got a a server response when I hit "reply", then I switched to IE6 and the site reacted normaly and I could reply, and now after minutes my firfox posts seem to appear eventhough they were not here when I checked with IE

JavonX
06-17-2004, 05:05 PM
They just keep coming

ThomasMahler
06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Javon_X
Will it be so much better than just buying the books and lock yourself in a room? I'm not saying that books are equal but that books will teach you the same, I mean they were the same professionals that wrote those after all.

I really don't think that it's meant to be that way - I mean, it's not like: "Hey, join us for a year, and you may call yourself animation god!". I guess it's like getting in touch with how the industriy works, how to work effective, it's about tips, hints, etc. What's the best solution for this or that problem and so on - It's certainly not like you're joining AM and everything will work out fine. I see it as some kind of support and "getting help from your big brother" and not as "pay a few bucks and you made it".

Of course, if you're not _really_ into animation then AM won't be magically "cure" you and boom, you're the next "insert Name".

I think it's _REALLY_ interesting for people who already have some experience and want to see how Pixar is doing this and that and even get critique and learn from these guys - That's a great opportunity!

Mooncalf
06-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Javon_X

While keeping in mind that everyone has different needs, and learns differently...

My biggest problem with learning from books/by myself is that I've found I've had to do a lot of "re-inventing the wheel." That is, I've taken lots of time figuring out things that could be pretty easily explained but I could find no information on anywhere.

(for example, I think there are some basic things about f-curves that are rarely gone into simply...)

I have the Gnomon animation DVDs, and even just hearing Cameron Hood talk about animation while animating is great. Since he's doing a lot of stream-of-conciousness talking, his approach is very relaxed and personable. I'm not sure I can explain it well enough, but he talks about things in a way I'd never get from books--and it's so much more helpful.

I can only imagine that AM will be that much better. The ability to have a back-and-forth discussion with a mentor is incredibly appealing to me. You can't ask a book to clarify itself, and you can't tell a video "I'm working on a specific piece at the moment, and I was wondering...."

Even as great as CGTalk is, so much of animation is about movement, just the possibility of hearing vocal inflections or body talk (especially the hands) of a person is really exciting to me.

But like I said, everyone learns differently. Some people can learn calculus from a book, some people need it drawn on a blackboard. I'm just super-thankful that the animation community has places like CGtalk and 3Dbuzz, and now (well, soon) AM, and so many other places where people simply want to help each other learn. :)

- M

JFross
06-17-2004, 06:16 PM
this is pretty sweet!

thanks for posting this! :bounce:

Stychentyme
06-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Personally, I think this is a great idea!

There are still a few things to iron out obviously, like price, etc., but I think having people of this calibre able to teach you in the comfort of your own home well worth the cost.

When I started learning CG, I wanted to be an animator. But somehow I got side-tracked and never got fully into it. Most of my jobs have been straight 3D modeling, ....no animation. Lately I've been thinking about the reason I got into this in the first place,.....to be an animator.

I recently bought a couple of books on rigging and animation in Maya and have been trying to teach myself the basics. It's been kindof a hit and miss process for me. This course sounds like a great opportunity for me to learn what I've always wanted to do.

I don't think there is anything that could be more important than having interaction with a trained professional. Someone who is currently working in the industry and has the passion and desire to help you succeed. I've been to a couple of art schools where the instructors were less than passionate, or knowledgeable.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this, although I admit that I'm a bit aprehensive about the cost. However, I am getting on in years, (mid-30's) and this might be my last, and best, opportunity to finally get to do what I've wanted to do all my life.

For me anyway, the cost may be well worth it.

Bobby, thanks for providing us with the latest info, I'm sure everyone here appreciates it. Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

Bentagon
06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
I absolutely love this idea!
I'd like to ask three questions, though...

you should know I'm only animating for a couple of months now, but loving it extremely much. I have considered and thought over a lot of things, and decided I want to go to a good animation college in 2 years (I'm 17 years old), something like Bournesmouth or Supinfocom or similar colleges in Europe. It'd mean that I have to give up my current personal life, though, but that's the only real downside. I get to go to another country, learn the thing I love, etc.

Now my questions are these:

1. Knowing about this AM right now, would it be better (in your opinion) to go to a local art school (best one in Belgium... one of the students recently won the Jury prize of Cannes for best shortfilm), get better and better in drawing and other basics etc., while learning a lot from you guys? Or would it still be better to go to a real college?

2. If I get the opportunity to go to Bournesmouth/Supinfocom/..., and decide to do it (I most probably would, of course), would it be managable to have a job (to pay my non-school costs), to work on the things I have to do for that college, and to work on things for AM at the same time? Or would it cut back my sleep to less then three hours a night :rolleyes: ?

3. Say I choose for the first option, and go to local art school and take your classes, and for some reason I get accepted by a company, and I go work for them, and quit college. Perhaps I get fired two years later, or the company goes out of business, or something similar, and I can't find a new job in the field. That's when my life would be over... in Belgium, having a regular highschool degree doesn't get you anywhere. And since I quit college, I don't have an art degree eather. This means I'll have to become garbage man or something, and that's obviously not "my kind of job" ;)
This brings me to the question: if you finish all or most courses on AM, do you get a degree of any kind? Simply having a degree gives me more chance of having another job, for example in the IT business. Or maybe I could go work for a tv channel, being able to do animations for programs... or yada yada yada... Also, I notice lots of studios hiring people (for example Blizzard Ent.) ask for a Bachelor degree in art or multimedia.

I'd be incredibly thankful if you'd answer these questions :bowdown: ...

once again, lovely idea!

- Bentagon

Bentagon
06-17-2004, 07:44 PM
<server problems>

Bentagon
06-17-2004, 07:44 PM
<server problems>

king21
06-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I was reading about an our now throught these threads, and i am thrilled uaaaa uaaaa.

I am from slovenia, and here is no school for 3d animation and i was looking to spent time in vfs, but now that you are here i decided. i hope i get in one of the first.

p.s. and i wannt to start at A.

See ya

Quizboy
edit***

education revolution y'all!!!

logon, hack-in, go anywhere, learn everything!

Bentagon
<server problems>
mods, could you delete these posts?

Quizboy
06-17-2004, 07:46 PM
wow, this thread grows like a steroid-fed gangrene. i went away for a couple hours and bang! it's already a couple pages longer...will this be an indication of the response time for enrollment? hmm...(starts programming auto-reply robot to expect mail from admin@animationmentor.com)

anyway, i suppose i'll chime in. i think this is one early step of a coming worldwide education revolution. who needs to be in the same room with some smelly teacher? you just have to pay more so they can transport their unwashed ass to class everyday. If i can see him and hear him what the heck more do i need? i should actually pay more for not having to reek stale Teachers 'R' Us 70's courdoroy jacket stench. Ewwww! as for 8 hours/days access what school gives you that? at every school i've ever heard of lectures are a set number of hours per week (3-4), office hours are also set and split up among masses of students. every student at every school i know complains about access to the professors and have to settle for less-knowledgable TAs for the scratch to their itch.

also the fact that these industry mentors can sit on their asses at their own homes and collect dough for giving their invaluable feedback is the very reason and probably the only reason that AM is able to offer access to them 'cause if they had some physical location they would never be able to get that many demi-godlike mentor participants, so we should be hella grateful and slurp up the opportunity. SLURP, SLUUUURRRRP!

with all the new technology around us we should be damn shamed that it still takes us 18 years to finish high school! but that's another angle for another corner...

education revolution folks: logon, hack-in, go anywhere, learn everything! ya heard it here first!!

king21
06-17-2004, 08:02 PM
I was reading about an our now throught these threads, and i am thrilled uaaaa uaaaa.

I am from slovenia, and here is no school for 3d animation and i was looking to spent time in vfs, but now that you are here i decided. i hope i get in one of the first.

p.s. and i wannt to start at A.

See ya:bowdown:

omni
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I signed up too. Looks great!

foxco
06-17-2004, 08:55 PM
i was wondering.. when will the next email be sent out.. i have signed up a long time ago but i have not received any emails on info :p just curious, and if theres no emails coming out soon could someone fwd the last email to me, it would be much apreciated

c_Lee_fox@hotmail .com

thanks in advance

/fox

ps.cant wait to apply ;) and too bad you dont use good old xsi

:rolleyes: oh well time to start up maya

seasterling
06-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Seems like everybody is a bit nervous about getting an opportunity to participate. I know I am.

Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun, but since spaces are limited I was wondering if the AM folks have considered allowing access to the program for $x to cover the cost of the learning materials and bandwidth ..., and then allowing access to a mentor for $y as spaces become available. You could still learn a buttload and maybe even get good enough to be worthy of having one of these guys as a mentor :bowdown:

Also wondered if AM has looked into having the program accredited as a masters program for those with a BA or BFA. Might come in handy if you ever wanted to teach.

Anyway, this is just awesome. Thanks to the AM guys for their dedication and willingness to give back.

-sam

Hobbit
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
BACK TO SCHOOL ????

Sounds awesome.....!!! :applause: :applause: :beer:

alexandrecollac
06-17-2004, 10:46 PM
I spent all the evening reading the posts and loved the idea, i think its really going to work ... and work hard. :beer:

i was about to give up the architectural college that im coursing here in Brazil to go to Academy of Art College in San Francisco to study charecter animation and u came with this, i just cant stop jumping :bounce: :bounce:
i will sell my car, my house, my girlfriend, my mom, my dog,y under clothes and everything else just to study in the AM. kidding :surprised (just the part of my dog hehhe). I say this because here in Brazil one US dollar is almost R$ 3,30, yeah very expensive.:eek:

just one question, I know it is going to have more interest than vacancies, so, is going to have a selection process or itll be a race to see who gets first.

Tanks and congrats.

squeezestudio
06-17-2004, 11:09 PM
hUMMMMMMMMmmm ????... I dont like school .....but now....

Wow ! its amazing ... the team is realy great ... I think now all the animators around the world want to be a part of this project ! Good idea ... :bounce:

CArnold03
06-17-2004, 11:42 PM
I joined the mailing list, I'm curious as to what doors this could open for me, so I figured what the hell, may as well.

mayakindaguy
06-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Wow!!! Just read through the posts and I must say that I too am very optimistic about this opportunity.

Regarding the mentoring process my vision of the whole concept is that it will be like taking piano lessons from Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin online (but instead with instruction done by the premiere animators in the industry today). You do your piano lessons (or in this case animation lessons) and your mentor tells you "wow i see you've been practicing. Now here are a few suggestions, in line 32 your crescendo to the high b flat is a bit too to quick. What would better evoke the emotions that Schubert is trying to convey is a gentle but gradual ascention of the melody. " Mentor then elaborates on some suggestions on how to accomplish this and follows by playing the excerpt. From the example you get it instantly because you're able to see it and experience how it's done.

But in all seriousness the mentoring process should resemble something similar, but expanded through the power of the internet. I am hoping though that as this progresses, local students who communicate through the online boards would extend their communication and actually get together to socialize and network. Perhaps an organization of some sort where members of the school can get together with local members and have a meeting once in a while to hang out and talk over how to improve their own skills as well as those involved in their community. And oh, perhaps national or even International conventions with instructors, staff and etc. Well, whatever happens I just hope that this venture seriously helps the industry grow and bloom. Heh, perhaps a cg renaissance is due in the next 5 to 10 years.

*corny creative thought bubble bursts and back to reality*

Anyhoo, again congrats for coming up with this great idea. I've got my fingers crossed and will definitely be looking forward to some updates.

alexandrecollac
06-18-2004, 01:33 AM
mayakindaguy- U are right it is for sure learning the best from the best.
Quizboy - i agree with u, i dont like to be in a class spending lot of time in some that in my home by myself(with the right orientation) i could learn in a couple of hours. Other think that i like a lot in this idea is that i can do everything without spending lots of money traveling to other country, in housing and things like that (however, living alone in somewhere u dont know is a huge life experience).
Im so excited that im looking for other Bloom post every minute, i hope my heart dont stop to beat until the AM begins. Now i think im not going to sleep.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

FUG1T1VE
06-18-2004, 01:40 AM
since some of the quesions have been aswered already and are now lost in page 5 somewhere in the middle of all the excitement. I took two minutes to repost them again. This is the list that was mailed out. No email has been sent to the masses yet. So now lets all :drool: in our own stuff until we hear from one of the AM folks again.

Originally posted by kevan
hello all,

i think this should answer a few questions:

Questions answered below:
1. How much will AM cost?
2. How are the mentors chosen by AM?
3. What format is Professional Critique given in?
4. Can I join at any time?
5. Should I take AM courses instead of traditional college classes?
6. How long does it take to complete a course?
7. Can I get feedback more than once on a particular assignment?
8. Can I see other student's assignments and hear the feedback given to
them?
9. What if I need to go on vacation? Do I miss out on those classes?
10. How long are the classes?
11. Is there an application process or can anyone sign up?
12. When can I sign up?

ANSWERS:
1. Q: How much will AM cost?

A: We have carefully designed AM as a one year intensive character
animation boot camp. Our school will consist of 4 courses, each made up of
12 video classes focused 100% on various aspects of character animation, and
each with a corresponding assignment tailored to reinforcing the topic of
that class. While you are encouraged to work at your own pace, 1 class per
week will get you through a course in about 3 months.

Because we are dedicated to bringing you only the absolute best personal
mentors available, and due to our exceptionally high bandwidth demands, the
cost of a full course will be comparable to art school prices; however, the
intensity of our program allows you to finish in 1/4 the time it would take
at a traditional art school, providing you with a much cheaper and more
focused experience! In order to ensure that AM is as customizable as
possible, students will also have the option to sign up for the individual
classes they are most interested in rather than the entire 12-class course.

2. Q: How are the mentors chosen by AM?

A: All mentors are carefully selected by a team of professional animators
and teachers at AM. Decisions are based on both teaching ability and
animation skill, and all mentors are professionals currently working in a
feature-
animation studio. As currently working animators, we have a unique
first-hand knowledge of the skill sets of many of today's top feature
animators and we are dedicated to using that knowledge to bring you only the
best animators available.

Q: What format is Professional Critique given in?

A: VIDEO! That's right! No text feedback from Pros - it is all recorded
personally by your mentor as he/she interactively reviews your work!

Q: Can I join at any time?

A: Yes! AM is the next evolution of education. Old ideas such as
semesters and rigid start-dates are a thing of the past. Join whenever you
like!

Q: Should I take AM courses instead of traditional college classes?

A: AM has been designed to be an all encompassing source of character
animation instruction for our students. However, traditional art classes
such as figure drawing, sculpting, etc., would be extremely valuable
companions to our program.

Q: How long does it take to complete a course?

A: Ideally we feel you would be best served by following the full path we
have laid out for you - work your way through Level A and then Level B
before moving on to C and D. In an ideal setting you would be able to get
through each course of 12 classes in around 3 months. We encourage you to
move at your own pace, but too slow a pace may negatively impact your
animation education.

Q: Can I get feedback more than once on a particular assignment?

A: Absolutely! You will quickly find that multiple critiques are one of
the most powerful features of our site. Each week you will be allowed one
primary critique, but at the same time you will have an opportunity to
upload up to 2 other assignments of your choosing for recurring critique of
your latest efforts!

Q: Can I see other student's assignments and hear the feedback given to
them?

A: Yes! Our students will be constantly exchanging feedback with each
other, something we feel is the cornerstone of a solid animation education.
In addition, any professional feedback received by the students is viewable
by any other student! You can never hear enough feedback - even if it isn't
about your work!

Q: What if I need to go on vacation? Do I miss out on those classes?

A: No. You learn at your own pace. Review your current class as many
times as you like. Create your assignment at whatever speed you are most
comfortable with. Whenever you are ready for your next class or for
Professional Feedback, AM will be here for you!

Q: How long are the video classes?

A: Our lectures vary in length, but all are at *least* 30 minutes long!

Q: Is there an application process or can anyone sign up?

A: While we can initially only accept a limited number of students,
acceptance will not be based on skill level. You will not have to submit a
portfolio or a demo reel. We feel strongly that if someone has a positive
attitude and the eagerness to learn, they have the potential to be a solid
animator, and we want to make certain that those beginning students have the
same opportunity to learn as the most advanced students have!

12. Q: When can I sign up?

A: If you've entered your email address at our teaser site, you will be
among the first to be notified when the school officially launches and
begins accepting students. Currently we are aiming for a Fall 2004 launch.

good luck to them, i say!
k