PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

dimension10
02-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Competition is good! It will force every animator to be on the top of their game, and raise the bar for the industry as a whole.

clockwerkz
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Just curious, if so many do get into animation I wonder the state of the industry when so many animators graduate! I fear that so many will be out looking for a job and compeition will be neck to neck I just hope that many of you get a job when u finish. best of luck again!

I'm fairly certain that the number of people actually completing AM.com will be vastly in the minority in comparrsion to the number of BS and Masters students graduating in some sort of computer arts/animation program from all over. I don't know if you meant graduates in general, or graduates of AM specifically.
Like everything, it's what you put into it. I know this has been said countless times. Also mentioned various times is the fact that although yes, it's what one puts into a program, this program wll have serious heavyweights teaching. My apology for the reiteration.

I guess what I'm saying is that there already is fierce competition. This program will not create any kind of oversaturation because it's my understanding that there already is. Now how much real "talent" is out there is beyond my realm of expertise. But I would wager based on how many articles refer to "hundreds" of demo reels tossed into the garbage that talent is seriously is not coming by as quickly. That, or the bar of expectation is very high now.

cW

mojodesign
02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
you're not kidding Clockwerkz...

To put it into perspective, think about how people use to get animation jobs in the 30's and 40's as oppose to now. Back then you just showed Mr. Disney about 10 scribbles/drawings of your cartoons or even of already existing cartoons and if Walt thought you had potential, you were in. That's how some of 'The Nine Old Men' got in....just on potential....and they ended up being masters. Now though....ha!...no such thing as "potential". The big studios won't hire you if you don't already know how to animate really freak'n well...you gotta already BE a master. Not only that, but because of the advancement of technology, you're expected to have a finished story...."a reel". Back then you couldn't have a reel unless you worked in a studio already. The regular Joe couldn't afford nor had the knowledge of buying film, camera, etc. So now everybody and their mother can make a film/animation. Let's not even get into the amount of schools that provide training in the field....

...you know, it's really almost a miracle to be able to get into the big studios...it takes some luck...and a lot of networking.

If I can tie in a running theme here,....that's one of the best parts of Animation Mentor....the possibility of networking and making some GREAT contacts.

Bentagon
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Yup, definitly. I'm sure there are some great talents out there, that just don't get the great jobs because they don't have good contacts. And another thing: A lot of 2D inbetweeners of the past decades have been layed off, and they're all becoming animators now. Before, you had the opportunity to grow by starting to inbetween and grow in the field, eventually becoming a key animator. With the current CG hype, there's no such thing as inbetweeners anymore. You have to be at that level before you get hired. And even then, as you said, you need the contacts and personality... Let's hope we've got it, and we eventually meet as collegues in Pixar or the likes ;):D

- Bentagon

stewartjones
02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
we eventually meet as collegues in Pixar or the likes ;):D

... Let's hope so!!!...

... I have MANY years to go, but one day hopefully!!! :)

dimension10
02-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I believe that any one with focus, a really positive attitude, the slightest bit of talent and a killler work ethic will reach a certain amount of success in this feild.

The idea that there are thousands of people competing for the job you want should fuel your efforts and make you work harder.

alexandrecollac
02-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Im starting to worry about the launch date, im going to travel between february 15 and 20. hope they will not lauch it in these date. Pls dont do that :thumbsup:

Bentagon
02-08-2005, 12:52 PM
No big update, but I didn't want to hold this back from you guys:
http://cgchar.toonstruck.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3391&

- Bentagon

PixelTales
02-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a small but very exciting update to me. :thumbsup: I hope they send the newsletter before the weekend of the weekend of the 18th-20th. I'm gonna be away from my computer for the first time since the original post here last June. I'm gettin' nervous. :argh:

PixelTales
02-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Does anyone remember if they mentioned if student webspace is included? The closest answer that I can remember is something from the trailer talking about student workspaces. But it didn't specifically mention if this included webspace. I'm just trying to figure out where our assignments will be stored. Since I currently do not have a webpage of my own to store them on, I need to know if I should to get something set up or not before registration starts. :)

philippeduvin
02-10-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm sure it's totaly included in the process. Dont need to rent a server to put your assignments on. :scream:

polymath
02-12-2005, 02:56 AM
WOO HOO!! !!! !!! !!

[Newsletter sent out]

animboom
02-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Hey, folks! Newletter KaBOOM is out!

Also, Yes, student's webspace is included. :)

We are looking forward to seeing you soon! Have a great weekend.

-BOOM

SheepFactory
02-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Alllright!!! :D

here is the link to the newslatter for those who didnt get it:

http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/AMonlineNewsletter_4.XX1.html

See you guys in school ;)

maelstrom
02-12-2005, 03:19 AM
great news Bobbby - i can't wait!!

my heart just jumped when my Outlook dinged and i saw it's an email from Animationmentor!!

:bounce:

clockwerkz
02-12-2005, 03:31 AM
Wow.. it's finally here! This is going to monumentally ROCK!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

cW

BTW..prepare for this thread to grow exponentially LARGE! :eek:

ArbitraryDesign
02-12-2005, 03:48 AM
Congratulations guys!
I will not have the money in time for this session, but I will be following this closely and I wish you the very best of luck.
Also, congratulations and good luck to the first class of Animation Mentor guinea pigs :)

mmkelly011881
02-12-2005, 03:52 AM
tears of joy, shuddering in rapture :)

hehe, gotta pare down that essay by about 800 words

come join us over on Animation Students (http://animationgroup.proboards30.com/index.cgi) for the unofficial pre-release orgy of animation practice!!!

edited for the 10th time: just want to give a big thanks to all of those who put this program together... i bet it doesnt feel too bad helping people get a leg up on accomplishing their dreams

skelly6
02-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi guys!

All of us AnimationMentor folks wanted to take a second to once again thank you all for your support. No matter how excited you are to be joining up, I don't think you could possibly be as excited as we are to finally be able to open our doors!

Those of you on the newsletter list will have the jump on regular folks for registration because you've received (in the latest newsletter) a detailed rundown of all the stuff you'll need to have ready in order to get your application in as quickly as possible. That info is there to help you all beat out your competition, so be sure to read and use it!

Also, you may have noticed that we will be launching with Pace 1 only. Pace 2, or a similar program designed to accomodate the busier schedules of working professionals, is still planned for the somewhat-near future...

Looking forward to seeing many of you inside of AM!

- Shawn :)

maelstrom
02-12-2005, 04:01 AM
BTW..prepare for this thread to grow exponentially LARGE! :eek:

so do i! ;)

i also wonder who's gonna read all those essays. they will get overwhelmed by applications... i so wish to volunteer as guinea pig for the first session!

all the luck to everyone who is trying to get in also!

JoshBowman
02-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Just got the newsletter, that is some sweet info, now if I just work my ass off to afford this that would also be sweet.

BTW: Question for the AM guys
the prices change in the Fall (Autumn) why is that? Will that be the standard price from then on?

mmkelly011881
02-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Quick question for you Mr. Shawn Kelly, it says that we can watch each lecture up to 3 times, do we get a copy of all the lectures at the end of the class as well that we can watch at our leisure? i'm assuming this is done to save bandwidth and to keep us on pace. Do we have the ability to save the video file to our computer?

(back to reading)

skelly6
02-12-2005, 04:22 AM
Yes, the 3-viewing limit is primarily for broadband reasons, but as the classes range from 40 minutes to over an hour, three ought to be plenty...

And no, the classes cannot be saved to the harddrive, and at this time, we don't have plans to release them as a collection at the end of the course. I wouldn't say "never," but for now, they're three-viewings-only (which, by the way, is two more viewings than you'd get in any other class! heh heh)

over and out

s

mmkelly011881
02-12-2005, 04:24 AM
hehe awesome, thanks for the quick reply

*wow over an hour* :bounce:

skelly6
02-12-2005, 04:26 AM
BTW: Question for the AM guys
the prices change in the Fall (Autumn) why is that? Will that be the standard price from then on?

The pricing you see in the catalogue is introductory pricing. I don't think I can say much beyond that... :)

maelstrom
02-12-2005, 04:28 AM
And no, the classes cannot be saved to the harddrive, and at this time, we don't have plans to release them as a collection at the end of the course. I wouldn't say "never," but for now, they're three-viewings-only (which, by the way, is two more viewings than you'd get in any other class! heh heh)

the minute you'd let people download this to their harddrives, you'd see the lessons being pirated on filesharing applications. i think it's the right decision.

mmkelly011881
02-12-2005, 04:29 AM
good call maelstrom, btw, cool site but *OT* what the heck is a chicken chip?

Afr_CG
02-12-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi there,

thank you guys for giving us such an opportunity, I am sure I am not the only one to feel/say this, but this looks like it is going to be a very exciting experience for all.

Thank you for doing this!!!

Afr_CG

P.S: I went over the newsletter but didn't find a date of when you will be taking our applications/essays...can somebody help me on this one? :banghead:

WinterXL
02-12-2005, 04:37 AM
Shawn (or any AM folks),

I've got a question for ya. Right now I'm active duty military and on a ship. As you can imagine, being in the Navy means I don't exactly have constant access to broadband. Only when were in port - and then I'd say usually and not always.

Anywho... will AM ever offer something for me? Granted, I do plan on getting out in about 18 months to be a longhorn at UT, so maybe I'll just have to wait :shrug:

Ideally I would be interested in a self-paced course even if I'm not getting a fancy piece of paper :-)...kinda like a "continuing education" course at a college. A good program to investigate how this could be structured is at http://www.gameinstitute.com. They have a system where you "activate" time blocks wherein you get access to an instructor and moderated forums. When you have no time blocks activated or run out, you are no longer given such priviledges.

I'm really interested in animation and I'm looking for some sort of directed study (I've already spent almost $2000 in books and dvds. :love: )

skelly6
02-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Hi there,

P.S: I went over the newsletter but didn't find a date of when you will be taking our applications/essays...can somebody help me on this one? :banghead:

We'll begin accepting applications the second our doors open on Feb 17! :)

Afr_CG
02-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Thank you so much for the quick response. It will give me time to request a copy of my transcript :thumbsup: ....Oh man I can't sleep now lol...

I'll talk to you all later,

Afr_CG

maelstrom
02-12-2005, 04:50 AM
good call maelstrom, btw, cool site but *OT* what the heck is a chicken chip?

thank you - very glad you like it! :)

OT: Those are regular potato chips, chicken flavoured, but 100% artificial ingredients. (hence the chicken being relieved at the the end of the tv spot - about NOT getting roasted)

i just made the spot, i'm not responsible for the product! ;) customer was very happy though. (you can also clearly see in that clip: i need AM training, lol)

registered to Animation Students!

jono338
02-12-2005, 05:44 AM
So much for being on the list as being an advantage. Oh well, may be best essay writer win.

Still very excited about the prospect, though starting to wonder how I'm going to afford it if I DID get it. It looks like a lot more money when it's all laid out like that. Perhaps it's time to pull out my "fortune favours the brave" motto.

Cheers, and good luck all you other aspiring "AnimationMentee"s.

peanuckle
02-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Its time to break open the checkbook :)

Tanner

Jozvex
02-12-2005, 06:19 AM
So much for being on the list as being an advantage. Oh well, may be best essay writer win.

It says in the newsletter that they will look at the names registered on the newsletter and give priority.

And.........YAY!!!

P.S. Apparantly 4 exclamations marks in a row is too many?

RayenD
02-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks for update AM crew.
I have a question - what about "pace 2"? You said it would be avaliable in near future, but would be great if we get more details.
My questions are:
- will longer absence period be avaliable in "slow pace" program?
- would it be possible to take lets say one or two week break during the course - I have deadlines and projects which require huge amount of work and sometimes I won't be able to complete an assigment in two weeks (rare case but it may happen)
- what about skipping a class if I send good enough demo reel?
- would it be possible to skip "diploma" part (along with grading, limited absence periods and all that stuff) and take the course just to improve yourself? I don't need any diploma or new job at XXX studio or whatever... just wanted to improve my skills as animator.

I thought I'd be able to start right now, but I don't see myself completing a short film (well depends how short, 30 seconds - 1 minute would be barely manageable) in 6 months while doing my regular job.

kirko
02-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Personally, I was planning to do Pace 2, but I think I'll take the leap and do Pace 1 until the slower pace is available.

That is, of course, if I get accepted. I may not be a prime candidate: I'm 48 (kinda old); have a full-time job (AM may think I don't have enough hours); my animation background is one 8-session course; and I have four cats that aren't declawed (oops, that's from a different list).

BUT this weekend I'm going to dig right down to the bottom of my soul (I stole that) and try to articulate why I want this so much. That will be a challenge, because it's not a rational thing. I'll have to get across why I want to take this step when I'm in the middle of another career--in other words, why do it when it doesn't seem to make any sense. It will be an interesting weekend, while I figure it all out for myself.

philippeduvin
02-12-2005, 08:04 AM
let us know kirko, and hope you get accepted. You have a lot of courage to start a new career at this point :thumbsup:

DonHuan
02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Well, this is the first time i post something for this forum although i have been watching it regularly.There are some great guys among you:thumbsup: !I hope all the people who are really interested in AM program will be have the chance to enroll,(the number to be accepted if i noticed well is 300) but many of them will stay out unfortunately.I guess there will be chances for people who are really interested in animation and will stay out of this.People who can't afford it shouldn't be dissapointed either, opportunities are hidden waiting for being explored.
One thing i would like to remind the mentors and the foundators of this great opportunity given for us is to accept many people from various countries like mine:love:and other ,which you people in US included myself living in a small island( may even not heard anything about).Every country has a unique civilization and with the globalisation the benefits of discovering cultures are great.This program can really take advantage of internet "connection".It can give art a big boost since will bring us all together, exchange ideas, get inspired.
I am looking forward for a better future.If the days coming are dark, maybe we can animate a better world!:shrug:

alexandrecollac
02-12-2005, 11:50 AM
:scream: :scream: :scream: Wow, sht sht sht, Ill never sleep early in my life again. This was the first day of all the waiting that i went to bed early, something about 1:00 am and when i woke up the newsletter was there in my mail browser. My heart almost stop to breath, i though i had lost the inscription but now im more relax not really relaxed but at least i can breath and listen another thing thas is not my heart beats.

Thanks a lot for making this true, dont worry ill be lock and ready at the inscription date. Im just afraid of something, ill be travelling in a boat between 15 and 19 dont know how many time ill have to acces the internet:shrug: . but ill do everything to get inside it, wow, cant stop bouncin :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

stewartjones
02-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm starting to calm myself down a bit, and will get my essay cut down just a little! :deal:

Good luck to all, and hopefully, I will be chatting to you as a fellow student!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bentagon
02-12-2005, 12:26 PM
YIPEEEE!! It's finally here! SUPER-duper-OVER-megalike-EXCITED! :bounce:

Bobby, Shawn and Carlos, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you guys for doing this. This whole program is like a gift from heaven. All the people like me, who did not have the chance to do a similar program in college, or couldn't afford it, are now able to study animation, and pursue a career in it. I just can not believe what an impact this has had on my life, and will have on hundreds of other people, simply because you bring this FABULOUS opportunity to us. I think after all these months, many people (including me at times) have gotten somehow a bit used to the idea of this school, while forgetting that this is a chance, a gift, given to us that no-once else has ever received before us. Not only in animation, but in probably every field of education there is. We already chose to pursue a somewhat unusual profession, and then to get this chance, it's simply mind-boggling (is that the word?). I've had many otherworldy rushes of excitement thanks to AM Online, and I'm sure many others have had them too. We are receiving a very special gift here, people! And we've only got you to thank for it, Bobby, Shawn and Carlos. You're truly the Greatest, BESTEST people on the planet!

- Benjamin

*edit*two questions:
- in the catalogue it says there's a "how to apply" place on the website, but I don't see it... it's still the same old, same old.
- why do we have to pay more for the fall term?

mjSoft
02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Hello everybody!!

As most people here Im very exited about this. :bounce:

Just have two questions:

1. Will it possible to take a brake between classes and continue next term? I, for example, am getting married next year and will be spending at least 3 weeks in Bolivia and South America. It will be hard for me to take part from there. (and I dont think my future wife would like it to much...although shes very supported)

2. Will you be able to change to Paste 2 when/if it will be available? People who work or study fulltime might have a hard time to keep up, especial in the last few classes.

Sorry if this already have been discussed.

Thanks in advance

/Martin

Silence32
02-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Im also Regisert me on this side, but i don t becam any newsletter at all :(
hunderts of spams but this one i Register for ;(

alexandrecollac
02-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Hello Mentors, spent themorning reading the catalog, im very exited about all this, the class descriptions made me dream with it :buttrock:.

I have a few more questions to you:

1. About the classes, Are you going to give facial animation and lip sinc classes??? if so wich is the class of it???
2. I noticed that we will be allowed to watch the class video only three times so Will you provide any lecture note about like a rsum????
3. About the basic Maya class, Is it yet included??
4. Easy one, not rush for this one, i dont know some of that holydays in your list think they are only US holydays. When exactly tehy are??

Thanks again, i cant believe it is going to begin, its the perfect educational program for me. Yupeeee :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: bouncin`

Bentagon
02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
1. About the classes, Are you going to give facial animation and lip sinc classes??? if so wich is the class of it???
I suppose this will be in the 3rd class. Maybe not lipsync, but definitly facial animation, because it's a big help in conveying emotion.

2. I noticed that we will be allowed to watch the class video only three times so Will you provide any lecture note about like a rsum????
Isn't it more useful to make these yourself? You'll be able to put down the things that are most important to you, and you'll remember them way better by putting them down yourself. And I bet we will be able to pause the clip, so this gives another advantage on regular classes...

3. About the basic Maya class, Is it yet included??
They talked about this earlier as if these classes were already designed, so I guess it will.

4. Easy one, not rush for this one, i dont know some of that holydays in your list think they are only US holydays. When exactly tehy are??
Though about this too, but I guess some might change of date every year? Googl'em ;)

:bounce:And I must say I find this bouncin' enhancin', for I'm also joining the play... uhm... school ;) :bounce:

- Benjamin

Sniffet
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Well. The rumours about only offering pace1 where so true :( Aah, all waiting for nothing. If I only didn't have to make a living at the same time it would have been totally different.

Any indications when to expect pace2? Since it wasn't any infomation about it in the catalogue and it covered classes up to 2007, I won't expect to see anything until 2008.

/Regards Peter K

animboom
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I did price comparisons to my college and other similiar programs in animation - and when you think about it (based off what I've read and heard comparing it to CalArts) it really IS worth it. I pay (thank you scholarships!) 17,000$ every semster to my local university for a 4 year BFA. Ringling is roughly a bit higher. CalArts for out of state hits almost 30,000 because of living expenses and such. I know Gnomon itself isn't cheap (but well worth it I've heard). So while 14,000 does seem like a lot... Put it in perspective

Hey, Folks. Bobby Beck here from AnimationMentor.com. We understand that some people will have difficulty with the pricing, as that is to be expected. AgentJ pretty much explains things well above...

For those who have been asking, I will break things down a bit:

1. Lectures/Assignments (yes, each with a class "key points" breakdown list) that students can view several times unlike a traditional school where you get the class once. Some classes have us going through the whole process of a shot from A-Z which just can not happen in a traditional school due to time constraints.
2. Forum is filled with professional animators and chracter riggers to answer student questions (a lot like other forums, however we have people who are strictly dedicated to doing this specific task).
3. Video/audio feedback from your mentor of your work that can be viewed by everyone in the school, so you can learn from others mistakes and successes!!!
4. Live Web conferencing with your mentor and fellow classmates for 40 minutes+ per week. (each mentor has 25 students)

Shawn, Carlos and myself have taught in traditional schools before and what we've found is in a 3 hour class per week that we spend about 2 1/2 to 3 hours doing critiques (of about 30+ students) and this never gives enough time for instruction. When we designed AnimationMentor.com we designed it to think through the "problems" we had in our teaching experience and thought long and hard about how to make it better.

Yes, we have classes on facical animation (as was asked on the other AM thread). But more importantly we feel AnimationMentor.com will give someone the education they need to get started in the professional arena. But, as any animator will tell you... Animation is a lifelong study and search for getting better.

-BOOM

olioli
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
can someone clarify: Payment plan = 6 payments per term. thats 340.00 per payment or something like 700.00 a month

Bentagon
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
pshh... just a shameless copy ;)
there's even still "as was asked on the other AM thread" :D
But I'm just nitpicking...

thanks for the update, and a HUGE thanks again for the catalogue, and a congratulations for opening your doors!

- Benjamin

RayenD
02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
AnimationMentor.com is our response to the lack of quality trained professionals coming out of schools charging 50k+ for a degree with nothing to show for it.

Amen to that.

While everyone (me too ;) ) would like to have AM cheaper, it is already cheap.. Other schools will be forced to reconsider their prices maybe - or at least give people proper training. Again, best luck and I am sure we will meet at AM.

fluffybunny
02-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey Bobby,

I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure there are other people out there with fulltime jobs who would be interested in AM. Personally, I'd love to eat, sleep, and breathe this but there's always tons of 'other' things to balance in your life....and I don't even have a family (unless you count the 2 rabbits)

It looks like the first (4) sessions are geared for something like 10 hours/week of instruction. I'm guessing this is something like (3) 3 hour lectures and the 40+ minute Mentor interaction along with the personal feedback. I've always heard the "college number" for time management as being "expect to put in 3 hours for each hour of lecture". This was hardly true for me in EE...somehow I manged to work hard, play hard, and go to school, but that was a different time. However, I do know others who've had to put in 60 hours/week just for one grad student class(and still didn't get an A)....and since art is not my fort, just something I really like, I would probably fall into the latter. I did take one "animation" class at WSU and that's about what it was like for me, although I did get an A.

So I'm thinking an accurate way to ask the question is: If you were taking these classes, how much time would you need to do a good job(not necessarily awesome) for each assignment?

You should probably then double or triple that number before answering(lest you give someone a wrong impression). I know I would then double that number again for me seeing as I'm realistic about my artistic skills.

thanks,

eric

Guiliguili
02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi all,

Need more information about this line in the AM newsletter :

Fill out our online application with one personal reference and one Academic reference (optional) such as a teacher or someone you respect.

what personal reference and what Academic reference ? I am not certain to understand what they mean. Could you help me ?

Thanks

guy

FUG1T1VE
02-12-2005, 07:52 PM
hey guy.
personal reference: someone who knows you and can attest to your skill set or character. Employer, co-worker, if you've done volunteer work etc.

Academic reference: if you are in school, it can be from a teacher, counselor, or any school official who can professionally asses your aptitude.

usually they state how long they have known you and under what circumstances. Evaluate you in terms of motivation, leadership, creativity, initiative, potential for growth,

Guiliguili
02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Fugitive for your answer, it's help for me.

I am 53 years old and in animation (but very young :thumbsup: ).
I am my own reference as I am a self made animator. Here in Tahiti no school, no studio to learn. This is why Animation mentor is so interesting for me.
I create my own studio 10 yeas ago to make educational cartoon for the school kids.
But I need practice and above all a lot of advice. I need people looking over my shoulder.

Hope this is not a problem to be in AnimationMentor ? (this is a question to the AM team)

guy

skelly6
02-12-2005, 08:41 PM
YIPEEEE!! It's finally here! SUPER-duper-OVER-megalike-EXCITED! :bounce:

- in the catalogue it says there's a "how to apply" place on the website, but I don't see it... it's still the same old, same old.
- why do we have to pay more for the fall term?

Hi Bentagon! Thanks for the really nice words, man. You're exactly the type of person we designed this whole project for! As for your questions:

1. The "How To Apply" link will be on the NEW website launching on Thursday. Wait until you guys see it - you're going to freak! :)

2. We're launching with introductory pricing in our first couple quarters. Starting in Fall, our prices adjust to what we truly need to charge in order to keep the school alive and kicking...

telliott
02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks to the people at AnimationMentor for setting all of this up. It seems like such a great opportunity for many of us frustrated types.

I just want to wish everyone applying out there the best of luck. Although I've tried not to, I've gotten my hopes up and I'm nervous about getting in. I'm sure there is plenty of hand wringing going on out there.

I really appreciate this forum and all the fine people who contribute to it. It sounds a little sappy but it's the kind of support I've seen surrounding the launch of AnimationMentor that makes me proud to be part of the animation community.

Good luck.

skelly6
02-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks Fugitive for your answer, it's help for me.

I am 53 years old and in animation (but very young :thumbsup: ).
I am my own reference as I am a self made animator. Here in Tahiti no school, no studio to learn. This is why Animation mentor is so interesting for me.
I create my own studio 10 yeas ago to make educational cartoon for the school kids.
But I need practice and above all a lot of advice. I need people looking over my shoulder.

Hope this is not a problem to be in AnimationMentor ? (this is a question to the AM team)

guy

There's nothing in this post that makes me think you would be anything other than an ideal student for AnimationMentor. To me, the coolest thing about our project is that people from all over the world can learn together. We would be honored to have Tahitian students! Definitely apply!

Remember, the essay will be a very important part of setting yourself apart from the other applicants, so be sure to put some thought into it... :)

over and out

-s

Jozvex
02-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this since the announcement, but in regards to:

"Upon request a student may be allowed to participate in the Tuition Payment Plan. A student who chooses the Tuition Payment Plan will be allowed to divide the tuition into six payments. Each payment will be due ten days prior to the beginning of the next Term."

So normally you would pay the full $13,105 up front unless you go via this plan? I would definitely need to be going 'the plan route' then. My question is really, are most people likely to be "allowed to participate" in that form of payment?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

jono338
02-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Question for the Mentor guys: About the referee requirement. Do you just need the referee, or a written reference. What sort of contact details do you require? Seems a bit of a strange requirement for people on the other side of the world ... how would you check the references out?

Anyway, just want to be prepared.

Oh, and when are you're doors opening on the 17th, or is that a secret? Would be handy to work out at what ungodly hour of Fri morning I'll have to be up to get in early. :D

Just read Jozvex question. Oh yes, in my excitement I read that as paying the 2000 in installments. Eeek. USD$13k in one hit. I second Jozvex's question.

And Bentagon (next post), that's the way I read it, but I think it's what Josvex said. From the PDF ...

A student who chooses the Tuition Payment Plan will be allowed to divide the tuition into six payments. Each payment will be due ten days prior to the beginning of the next Term.

Due before each TERM. I'm imagining most would pay by term.

Cheers,
Jono.

Bentagon
02-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I believe (through earlier information and newsletters) that you are only allowed to pay for one class at a time. So $2000/2200/2500/2700 each 3 months. That's for security, since you might be terminated from the school, or would want to change pace, or would just want to quit yourself, or take a break, ...

So maybe this payment plan splits these costs up in eg. 4x $500?

Question for the Mentor guys: About the referee requirement. Do you just need the referee, or a written reference. What sort of contact details do you require? Seems a bit of a strange requirement for people on the other side of the world ... how would you check the references out?

Anyway, just want to be prepared.

Oh, and when are you're doors opening on the 17th, or is that a secret? Would be handy to work out at what ungodly hour of Fri morning I'll have to be up to get in early. :D

Cheers,
Jono.That doesn't matter that much. The 17th is when doors open and you can send them your essay, etc. It's only when you get through the essay and tests that it's first-come-first-serve, based on who pays first. Or at least that's how I interpret it....

- Benjamin

skelly6
02-12-2005, 11:54 PM
I believe (through earlier information and newsletters) that you are only allowed to pay for one class at a time. So $2000/2200/2500/2700 each 3 months. That's for security, since you might be terminated from the school, or would want to change pace, or would just want to quit yourself, or take a break, ...

So maybe this payment plan splits these costs up in eg. 4x $500?

- Benjamin

Bentagon is correct that this is how we were planning to do things, but this is actually one of the minor alterations we made to the school in order to help along our government approval process. Basically, it's now set up so that you can pay for all six classes at once if you like.

This is there mostly to simplify the process for you, but you can still use the "payment plan" in order to pay for each of the 6 classes seperately the way Bentagon describes in his first paragraph... The payment plan does not split it up into $500 increments or anything like that, though you can certainly use a credit-card or loan to do exactly that on your end...

-shawn

jono338
02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Shawn,

thanks for the clarification. Any response to the Reference question ... if it is a written reference requirement, how do we put that in the "on-line" application, just type it in?

Cheers,
Jono.

swadepgh
02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Shawn, Bobby and Carlos thank you so much for putting all of this together! I think it is a wonderful thing that will fill a great hole in animation education as it stands.

One quick question regarding the reference(s):

Should we have our reference(s) complete a 'letter of reference' to be turned in with our application or should we just plan to include their contact information? If a letter, what sort of format should it follow?

WOW! REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS!!! :bounce: I hope that everyone can get a spot who wants one. Now I am getting nervous...

skelly6
02-13-2005, 12:36 AM
Shawn,

thanks for the clarification. Any response to the Reference question ... if it is a written reference requirement, how do we put that in the "on-line" application, just type it in?

Cheers,
Jono.

The "reference" isn't a letter of recommendation - it's just a name and contact information. Basically, if we get into a situation where we're filling up and have to choose between a couple people or have questions about the potential student, those references could be contacted to help us make our decision...

SheepFactory
02-13-2005, 12:39 AM
A quick question Shawn ,

I was wondering if you can use multiple credit cards during registration? Or does the full amount need to be paid on one card\check\money-order

swadepgh
02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the quick response. That makes me feel a lot better. I was picturing not being able to submit while waiting for my reference to complete the form.

Cheers!

Sara

skelly6
02-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Shawn, Bobby and Carlos thank you so much for putting all of this together! I think it is a wonderful thing that will fill a great hole in animation education as it stands.
WOW! REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS!!! :bounce: I hope that everyone can get a spot who wants one. Now I am getting nervous...

Thanks so much for the nice words, Swadepgh, but we also want to acknowledge that this project has grown into something much bigger than just the three of us...

We'd like to take a moment to publically thank the huge number of people who have become involved in our project in one way or another - from the animators and experts we interviewed as additional commentary in our documentaries (classes) to the animators who have joined us as mentors (can you believe that roster? wow!) to the programmers accross the pond (Theory7.com) to the significant others who put up with our INSANE hours to the rapidly growing AM support staff working hard in our offices in Berkeley to make sure this school is all it can be...

Well, this project just wouldn't have been the same without all of you! I know the students will appreciate all that you have all done to help make this thing really special.

I know we do!

clockwerkz
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Hey Shawn!

Great to see you back on the boards. I really can't wait for Thursday to sign up! Speaking of which, at what time will registration start? Are we looking at something like 12:01 AM Pacific time? And for Thursday, we're going to need to complete the Admissions App and attach the essay, correct? On the app we'll fill out any personal and/or professional contacts? And the proof of high school or college.. that is mailed in by us separately?

Just want to make sure I have this right!

cW

olioli
02-13-2005, 01:16 AM
so now we have to take all six course to "graduate". I was under the impression that the last two courses were options. Thus making the total 8 grand not 13 grand.

anyone got any idea?

Jozvex
02-13-2005, 01:21 AM
There is most likely a requied course length in California in order to be able to give out a diploma.

skelly6
02-13-2005, 02:36 AM
A quick question Shawn ,

I was wondering if you can use multiple credit cards during registration? Or does the full amount need to be paid on one card\check\money-order

It's currently set up to accept only one type of payment at a time...

PixelTales
02-13-2005, 02:38 AM
This update is so extremely exciting, and just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited! I just about flew through the roof when I saw that email in my inbox. Here are my emotions in the order they happend next. :bounce::love::buttrock::applause::beer:. Everyone that has been involved in making this amazing opportunity a reality should be appluaded :applause::bowdown: You are truely going to change the face Character Animation as we know it! :thumbsup:

Once I read the email I went straight into the exausting process of trimming my essay to the required 500 word limit. I already had it down to one page, but 500 words is an entirely different story. It is really hard to contain the ammount of excitement I have about this, to so few words. However, I finally finished and I'm at exactly 500 words! :)

Good luck to all in the coming application process. Hopefully I will be able to join the group in the first round. Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah and one quick question, as for the transcripts should we have the school send them directly to AM now? Or, do we wait until the 17th and send it with our application? And, do you need an official transcript, or is an unofficial copy OK?

skelly6
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey Shawn!

Great to see you back on the boards. I really can't wait for Thursday to sign up! Speaking of which, at what time will registration start? Are we looking at something like 12:01 AM Pacific time? And for Thursday, we're going to need to complete the Admissions App and attach the essay, correct? On the app we'll fill out any personal and/or professional contacts? And the proof of high school or college.. that is mailed in by us separately?

Just want to make sure I have this right!

cW

We're pinning down the time (basically determining if we're going to go by the time-zone our server is in, or the time-zone our office is in) and will announce it on Monday.

As for the rest of the post - yes, that's all correct-a-mundo!

skelly6
02-13-2005, 03:27 AM
...Oh yeah and one quick question, as for the transcripts should we have the school send them directly to AM now? Or, do we wait until the 17th and send it with our application? And, do you need an official transcript, or is an unofficial copy OK?

Once you submit an application, we will send you a link to take the SLE test. After we receive your test results, we will review the entire application, including the essay. At this point, if we determine that you are accepted into the program, you will receive an email with a Student ID number that will allow you to officially "register for classes."

Once you register, you are immediately sent the Student Enrollment agreement that you'll sign (don't forget to initial each page), and it's at that point that you'll put a copy of your transcript or diploma in with the package to physically mail to the AM office.

It sounds much more complicated than it is, don't worry... :)

Overall the application and acceptance process will take about two to three weeks, but you'll know whether or not you're accepted prior to having to mail anything...

Good luck, everyone! We honestly cannot WAIT for you all to really get to experience AM:Online!

over and out

shawn ;)

Jozvex
02-13-2005, 03:57 AM
Oh man, I need to get someone pregnant fast! That way I can go to childbirth classes with them and learn lamaze breathing.

I think it would come in handy right about now!

*Hih hih hooooo, hih hih hooooo*

Afr_CG
02-13-2005, 04:07 AM
:thumbsup: Jozvex, would you mind if I join you in those breathing classes? I am loosing it too man...

philippeduvin
02-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Hey Shawn,

Great to see your on board :) First of all, thank you so much to you and Mister "Boom a Kit kat" and Carlos for this. my excitement is so intense that it wakes me up at 6.00 AM this morning :bounce: :bounce: :)

Just one last question if you don't mind : is that possible to have a break between 2 classes ? like skipping a term and get back back after that ? or do we have to start all over again ( and pay again ? ) :)

Thanks again and hope to meet you on AM boards or chat :bounce:

Philippe

skelly6
02-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Hey Shawn,
Just one last question if you don't mind : is that possible to have a break between 2 classes ? like skipping a term and get back back after that ? or do we have to start all over again ( and pay again ? ) :)

Thanks again and hope to meet you on AM boards or chat :bounce:
Philippe

You bet! Students can definitely take a break between classes, and will receive a special code to allow them to move right back into the program.

And in the event of an emergency (medical emergency, death in the family, military duty, etc), students may take a leave of absence, even in the middle of a class, for up to 100 days (this is covered in the catalogue, by the way...)

philippeduvin
02-13-2005, 05:54 AM
wow that's good news :) everything is simply perfect !!

Can't wait to meet all the students and mentors ( if i get accepted, of course )
It's a big step in my life and i'm glad to make it with you guys as professors :scream:

Thanks

doggpound
02-13-2005, 09:17 AM
wow that's good news :) everything is simply perfect !!

Can't wait to meet all the students and mentors ( if i get accepted, of course )
It's a big step in my life and i'm glad to make it with you guys as professors :scream:

Thanks

I checked out and read through the pdf that Animation Mentor sent out, and I've read most of the posts here on the site. My 2 cents on the subject. Number one, it seems that some (and I stress SOME) of these posts are totally planted to say positive things about these classes to hype it up. You can tell by some of the way its worded and whom/location/others they are posted from. Furthermore, there has been talk on more than one occasion of using a credit card..., um I mean, getting yourself in major credit card debt to pay for the classes. Almost like it's being promoted. This is very, very wrong. I think I recollect one of the mentors advising this, although I could be wrong. The higher your debt, the more the card companies will pour on the interest, it's a fact. Do the math and don't be dumb enough to pay for the school with credit cards. You don't build credit with big prices like that, you destroy it. Oh yea, and if you are a high school grad, or even just out of college going on your first credit card, it would be interesting to see if you are even eligible for a credit line that high. Highly unlikely with no previous credit, and you could very well be on your way to destroying that credit for life. Everyone knows this, and to promote these types of actions is extremely selfish and irresponsible.
I get this errie feeling that these guys are thinking 100% of themselves and the financial gain they will get, and arent' worried about the students at all. I can't explain it, but I feel this sense as if this is mostly about money. Speaking of which, finally, the prices. Now if this 'school', (if it even falls under the definition of), had been around and had a reputation, then maybe the prices are coming close to being half way reasonable. Now, if this were Frank and Olly starting classes online with life long experience and wisdom (definition of mentor) it would certainly be worth the money. I guess the next best thing to that would be some animation directors. Different strokes for differnet folks I guess, but for me and what I've learned I am not to excited about this until I either hear from the masses (not the planted voices), that this is an opportunity of a lifetime.

Anyhow, these are just my honest and unbaised opinions, and I'm in no way trying to harm anyone or anything, nor am I breaking anyone or any rules. I am all for the concept of this project, but I dont' want to see kids with big dreams end up getting spit out and left with a big mess to deal with.

Sniffet
02-13-2005, 11:05 AM
"You bet! Students can definitely take a break between classes, and will receive a special code to allow them to move right back into the program. "

Wow! This is so cooool! I was so dissapointed yesterday when my dreams pursuing a animation career was put on hold, since I can't study for a straight 1.5 years without income. Now I (if Im accepted of course) will be able to put all my focus at AM.com for three months, take a break for three months doing new projects (and hopefully be able to put eveything I've learnt sofar into those), and then continue at AM.com..

Thanks alot for the info Shawn!! :thumbsup:

mjSoft
02-13-2005, 01:36 PM
You bet! Students can definitely take a break between classes, and will receive a special code to allow them to move right back into the program.

And in the event of an emergency (medical emergency, death in the family, military duty, etc), students may take a leave of absence, even in the middle of a class, for up to 100 days (this is covered in the catalogue, by the way...)

This IS great! Now I dont have to put my marriageon hold.:)

/Martin

stewartjones
02-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Once you register, you are immediately sent the Student Enrollment agreement that you'll sign (don't forget to initial each page), and it's at that point that you'll put a copy of your transcript or diploma in with the package to physically mail to the AM office.

Snail Mail?!?!

I was under the impression that we could fax/scan our diplomas etc and send them that way?!!..

alexandrecollac
02-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Just checking if is everything correct:

1. Im over 18
2. Fill the application, ill need to wait till 17 for this
3. Reference, i got a good one :)
4. High school address and diploma, Lock and ready
5. Super dupper extra good incredible motivated essay, ready to go
6. :D This part hurts, credit card, OK
7. :bounce: :bounce: All my expectation and grasp accumulated till now ready to explode:scream::scream: ,ready .

Think is everything in order.
Finnally it is going to begin.

ps: Unfortunately you chose a not very good day to launch it, ill be travelling and will have limitated internet access, so if you please can tell me the daytime it is going to open doors i will be very thankful.

LIGHTYEAR
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
"students who have been accepted to AnimationMentor.com will be enrolled on a first-come, first-serve basis based on when their completed Enrollment Agreement
and Registration Fee are returned"
So, if they then send out the Enrollment Agreement by post,(at this point it becomes first come first served?) it will take a couple of days to reach me (I'm in the UK) and a couple of days to get back(a total of 4-6 days), whereas someone living in the USA could have it back in maybe 2 days??? and therefore have a geographical advantage maybe? Maybe I could have Fedex on standby for a couple of days....? :banghead:

philippeduvin
02-13-2005, 05:48 PM
"students who have been accepted to AnimationMentor.com will be enrolled on a first-come, first-serve basis based on when their completed Enrollment Agreement
So, if they then send out the Enrollment Agreement by post,(at this point it becomes first come first served?) it will take a couple of days to reach me (I'm in the UK) and a couple of days to get back(a total of 4-6 days), whereas someone living in the USA could have it back in maybe 2 days??? and therefore have a geographical advantage maybe? Maybe I could have Fedex on standby for a couple of days....? :banghead:

yeap that totally true. Im in France and got the same problem...how are we going to do ?
?

LIGHTYEAR
02-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Why dont all us Europeans club together and hire a DC3 and fly our Enrollment Agreements and 75 bucks over to Cali-for-ni-A. Could probrably do it in about 10 hours?? Anyone interested?
But seriously, am I missing something here? (Bobby/ Shawn can you clarify this point?)are you only going to send out 300 Enrollment Agreements so it wont be over subscribed at that point or is there going to be a mass scramble to get them back by 400-500. I will be gutted if I lose out because of the Great British postal system. I could cover the envelope in stamps and it still wont make it back before you guys in the US.

stewartjones
02-13-2005, 06:24 PM
I will be gutted if I lose out because of the Great British postal system. I could cover the envelope in stamps and it still wont make it back before you guys in the US.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Would be excellent to get some clarification on this for sure!

magicrub
02-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Question for the Animation Mentor Team

If one does not get accepted initially do they have to re-register and re-submit an entirely new essay every quarter? Or does your application get saved on file and is then drawn upon when the next quarter starts?

Guiliguili
02-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTYEAR
I will be gutted if I lose out because of the Great British postal system. I could cover the envelope in stamps and it still wont make it back before you guys in the US.

Same thing for me. Tahiti is in the middle of the Pacific very "Far Far Away" from all the country.... and my envelope will need near 10 days to reach California...
Thinking to this I am really down.

Guy

BlueSamurai
02-13-2005, 07:29 PM
If I cannot apply for this first quarter, can I apply next quarter? I just wasn't sure after reading the pdf.

skelly6
02-13-2005, 07:34 PM
...it seems that some (and I stress SOME) of these posts are totally planted to say positive things about these classes to hype it up....

AnimationMentor.com is a school. It's the first school dedicated 100% to the art of Character Animation. For that reason we are fully dedicated to making this thing as amazing as we can possibly make it. Although Bobby, Carlos and myself started the school, t has grown far beyond the three of us into a true school with staff, offices, faculty, and an impressive curriculum.

When I went to school, I worked a full time job to pay for classes and went to school full time. I know Bobby worked two full-time jobs and Carlos was in a similar situation. Basically we didn't sleep - we lived and breathed animation. People will do what they need to do in order to make their dreams come true. Granted, our course is new, but after our first round of students graduate we are confident that people will understand what we are truly about.

There are many great options out there for getting animation training. AnimationMentor.com is our way of doing it the way we've always dreamed of, and from the overwhelming support we've received from the industry and from the voluntary response of our mentors, we feel they must feel something really good about this too.

-shawn

ps - we're coming up on 2000 posts in this thread, and easily 98% of them are extremely positive. We certainly never needed to "plant" posts! :)

Jozvex
02-13-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm planted, but only in the sense that I'm stuck in this spot monitoring the thread all day (out of interest) while trying to do work!

I think the price is good! There are 6 month Maya courses here in Australia that cost the same amount! And that's good news about the taking-a-break-and-getting-a-code thing, in case I fall behind with money (meh, I'll just sell a sister or something, I've got 3).

Saying that the AM guys somehow have less-than-100%-good intentions is like saying that.......... cows produce milk to tempt humans into getting mad cow disease! Or something like that anyway!

clockwerkz
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
I checked out and read through the pdf that Animation Mentor sent out, and I've read most of the posts here on the site. My 2 cents on the subject.

It's funny..because I was thinking the same thing..but in a different sense. AM finally announces their opening of their doors, and all of the sudden, there's all these "new members" suddenly posting about how we should question the school, credit cards, etc. Not so much on this thread, but rather in the other AM thread.. I found that suspiscious.

Nobody is encouraging credit card debt.. but look at the reality.. you're on a board where a GOOD percentage of people are massively in debt with student loans from art school, and are struggling. So I think the argument of whether one should become in debt with a 13k bill or not is way beyond the scope of this particular thread. One could very well say that a person should reconsider going to art school period, because of the high amount of competition versus a large student loan debt.
What they're asking for is very reasonable. 13k for a year and a half of study, and mind you, one can very easily maintain a full time job while doing this program. The program has been designed to be very flexible for the person with a full time job. And for the student, it's a great addendum to any college student. Don't be fooled by their requirements that the student be at least 18.. the key is AT LEAST, and that is probably imposed by the state of California.
As for planted posts, if you really read through is, you'll find a lot of "fanboy" type posts.. but to say that they're trying to hype up the program with fake new accounts is pretty absurd.
If these guys are guilty of anything, it's being smart by keeping the cost of advertising to ZERO and letting this get around through word of mouth. By doing that, WE the students will not be paying more due to added costs of advertising that the school would incur.

Oh, and other than standing in the virtual line to get onboard, I am not affiliated at all with AnimationMentor. :)

cW

skelly6
02-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Yes, we set it up so that the further away you live from us, the less chance you'll have.

ha ha ha ha! just kidding. You will know whether or not you made it into the program before having to physically (snail mail) anything to anyone. :)

The key to beating out the general public will be preparedness. Check the newsletter for the list of things to have ready. Basically, on the 17th (specific time to be announced shortly), you'll go to the website and fill out an application that includes your essay (which you can copy/paste into the application form, so write it ahead of time!).

Once you do that, you'll instantly be sent the SLE test to take, and as soon as you finish that, the AM offices will receive your results. At that point - you're done, as far as "hurrying" to beat out everyone else. It will arrive at AM with a date-stamp letting them know who got their application/essay/test in first, so at that point you just sit back and wait to hear from the AM crew.

By the time you need to sign/mail any paperwork, you've already been accepted, so being on the other side of the world won't affect your chances in the least.

-s

skelly6
02-13-2005, 10:06 PM
As much as I love keeping up with this list, I have to get back to work and won't be able to check in - so please send any AnimationMentor questions to:

info@animationmentor.com
or just call the office at:
510-809-1177
Thanks again for all the support, everyone! Thursday is going to be a pretty exciting day!

over and out

shawn ;)

stewartjones
02-13-2005, 10:20 PM
As much as I love keeping up with this list, I have to get back to work and won't be able to check in - so please send any AnimationMentor questions to:

info@animationmentor.com
or just call the office at:
510-809-1177
Thanks again for all the support, everyone! Thursday is going to be a pretty exciting day!

over and out

shawn ;)

Thank you for clearing up the questions all of us wannabe 'AM students' have been throwing at you.

Awesome news for us in the UK, or elsewhere in the world, so we aren't worrying about sending the stuff through the post!

Cheers again!

:bounce: ROLL ON THURSDAY! :buttrock:

emptyness
02-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi to all guys :)

Recovering myself from excitement, I would like to post some questions about tuition payment (i have just mailed them to the AM guys but i'd like to get feedback from the community) :

First question:
Filling application form and filing the essay, then taking the SLE test and sending our degree bind us to take (and pay) ALL the tuition (aka: the 6 classes) or we have the possibility to pay for each class and (then) check if we can afford to pay for the next one ?

Second question:
Is it possible to enroll in just one class (the first one, of course), paying for it, taking the class start-to-finish and then decide if it's ok to take the next one (and paying for it) ? The PDF speaks only about a "Tuition payment plan" which allows the student to "divide" the (total) tuition into six payments... But what if I only want to take the first class and then decide if I want to take (and pay for) the next one (manly for budget concerns) ?

Last question (just to clarify and put things in a logical order):
Is it possible to take (and pay for) one class and then wait for some time before taking the next one ? (maybe in order to get the necessary funds to pay for the next class...) This could easily be my situation :)

Thank you very much for your patience :)

PS: I sent my e-mail addresses (3!) using the form present in your main site but I have received no mails from AM (It seems that other guys have received newsletters and notice of open enrollment instead). Is it normal ?

Bulldog
02-14-2005, 01:39 AM
I checked out and read through the pdf that Animation Mentor sent out, and I've read most of the posts here on the site. My 2 cents on the subject. Number one, it seems that some (and I stress SOME) of these posts are totally planted to say positive things about these classes to hype it up. You can tell by some of the way its worded and whom/location/others they are posted from. Furthermore, there has been talk on more than one occasion of using a credit card..., um I mean, getting yourself in major credit card debt to pay for the classes. Almost like it's being promoted. This is very, very wrong.blablablablablablablablabla........

wow , who shat in your cornflakes?

How is paying to this course with a credit card bad for your credit. let me explain :

$2k for 3 months , if you pay $2k (assuming you already have it) cash , you dont do any good to your credit history or rating , you pay that with credit card and pay it off with cash and you are golden. like I said ASSUMING YOU HAVE THE MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE or have a job that you can work at and will pay it off or rich parents or whatever. If you dont have the money and go into $14000 debt its because you are stupid. Also you seem to make it seem like you pay the whole $14000 on sign up which is not the case , i can easily make $2k in 3 months working on a part time job as a waiter or even at mc donalds.

Plants for positive posts? puhleeeeese :rolleyes: as if AM needed hype...

PixelTales
02-14-2005, 07:22 AM
I get this errie feeling that these guys are thinking 100% of themselves and the financial gain they will get, and arent' worried about the students at all. I can't explain it, but I feel this sense as if this is mostly about money.

You are indeed sorely mistaken in this comment. I had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Beck at the AM unveiling at this last years Siggraph, and I can tell you your impression of AM's intentions couldn't be further from the truth. After the unveiling they broke off into personal interaction with the croud. They spent a great deal of time time making sure that everyones questions were answered, and weren't just delivering a sales pitch. I was very impressed when I got to speak with Bobby Beck in person and discovered his personal passion for character animation. Never before have I experienced this level of excitement in any teacher throughout my education about their chosen subject of instruction. As a potential student of AM who is extremely excited about learing character animation, it was very refreshing to see an instructor who shares the same level of passion for this art as I do. I left with the impression that their main goal was to give back to the animation community at large, and not just those who are lucky enough to live near a large animation school. Or those who can afford to uproot there lives and move next to one. I truely beleive that making money by doing this was certainly an after thought.

That being said I think that for what they are offering approx. $13,000 is a steal, and they are certainly entitled to this compensation for offering this opportunity to their students. You can certainly tell that they thought long and hard on reaching this number, and it is very reasonable in my opinion.

These views merely my own humble opinion and my personal impressions of AM which I am in no way affiliated with, other than the fact that I hope to be first in line on the 17th to be one of their students. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as well and I respect that. Though I whole heartedly beleive your impression of AM would drastically change should you attempt to speak with Bobby, Shawn or Carlos one on one, at least by trying to reach them through their help line, or maybe through a private mesage on CGtalk.

My 2 cents on the subject. Number one, it seems that some (and I stress SOME) of these posts are totally planted to say positive things about these classes to hype it up.

As for this I think the AM crew is busy dealing with much more pressing issues like prepareing for the flood of applications that are going to hit there severs on the 17th, and not trying to figureout how to fake enthusiasum for their new project. I believe such an act is beneith their character anyway. Again this is my humble opinion, take it for what it's worth.

retrop
02-14-2005, 11:22 AM
mh, i heard some ppl from europe complaining about the high price.. well, remember these are USD, so 13'000$ are 'only' 10'108.9 ...

just for those who forgot about ths ^^

so long, retrop

philippeduvin
02-14-2005, 11:30 AM
nope we were complaining more about the mail delay that we are gonna be faced with than the price which is totally fine for thath INCREDIBLEEEEEEE shool :)

RayenD
02-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I get this errie feeling that these guys are thinking 100% of themselves and the financial gain they will get, and arent' worried about the students at all. I can't explain it, but I feel this sense as if this is mostly about money. Speaking of which, finally, the prices. Now if this 'school', (if it even falls under the definition of), had been around and had a reputation, then maybe the prices are coming close to being half way reasonable.

Well.. they need to earn money on it. Bobby quit Pixar to do that. I wish they become extremelly sucesfull financially with AM. Should they do it for free? Well...

I don't know any of them in person, but I remeber Bobby, Shawn and Carlos posting on some mailing list way back before they were at Pixar and ILM and before Maya even existed.

Those guys were always so passionate about animation that there is no doubt that at least 75% of their intentions are not financial only.

I have a ton of doubts about this school (still damn undecided), but danger of paying for nothing is not one of them.

P.S. Yes, lots of people are overexcited and have unrealistic expectations guessing by sound of their posts, but excitement is a part of life, esp. if you are very young and never touched the real world of animation studios.

immerzeelpictures
02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
About the European Snail Mail Problem check the message from Shawn (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1965970&postcount=1846)

In short (as I understand) you only have to wear protective gear and elbow work you way on the 17 at time still unknown.

After you get a thumb up from AM, *then* you snail mail your paperwork and payment.
you should already be in. (correct me if I am wrong, shawn)

Well, admission time will be crazier than a busload of women in a shoestore.

Remember people no scratching, biting, spitting, name-calling and hitting below the belt. I want a clean fight.

LLEEETTS GETTT REEAADDYY TTOO RRRRUUMMMBBBBLLEEEE!

mojodesign
02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
...doggpound....who is this guy?

telliott
02-14-2005, 04:30 PM
there are obviously many posters here who are plants from the secret cabal of older animation schools whose sole job it is to bring down AnimationMentor before they are able to open their doors. This cadre of animation schools constantly monitors the animation forums, planting false messages and misdirection. They've had people spying in the animation industry for years. Why just the other day I heard that Brad Bird doesn't really like animation at all. He has been posing as a contributor and fan of animation for years just so that he can send back secret info about the industry to these academic types. It's a twisted web of forum posts, espionage and murder!

Trust no one.

philippeduvin
02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
P.S. Yes, lots of people are overexcited and have unrealistic expectations guessing by sound of their posts, but excitement is a part of life, esp. if you are very young and never touched the real world of animation studios.

Yes youre right. It's great having excitment, it's one of the greatest thing that kids have and that adults lose during their life sometimes. About that, I always been surprised for example, by the "Pixar atmosphere".
In all the dvd " behind the scees, you can see this great place full of great individuals, always happy and having fun, loving their job, never bored...It sounds great, but sometimes I would like to see dark side of it, not to break down the dream about Pixar ( because believe I really want to do a part of it :) ) but just to know exactly what Pixar is...is there any fight, some people who cant stand with each other ?

And Im talking about Pixar because of their DVDs, but im wondering the same about the other facilities like ILM, Weta etc...

But well... I still totally crazy about this school because it's just HUGEEEEE !! :bounce:

Philippe

Bentagon
02-14-2005, 05:38 PM
doggpound is obviously ...C'mon. Let's keep these kind of negative attacks at other persons out of this thread.

I too feel some people, including me, may be a bit naive or too excited for clear thinking, but there's something I noticed while reading some interviews a couple of months ago **DISCLAIMER: make sure you know I'm not trying to compare the following geniuses with a simple fellow like me, or a much-accredited school with the new, although promising, AM Online** A couple of decades ago, in 1970, the animation departement at CalArts was founded. It was obviously an unusual type of course, and I'm sure it wasn't cheap eather, but it did have animators and storymen of Disney talking and teaching about animation. Though, some were eager enough to learn about animation, LOVED the field and were willing to take huge risks to get there. That's how excited they were. If I'm not mistaking, geniuses of the likes of John Lasetter, Brad Bird, Glen Keane, John Musker, Henry Selick and Tim Burton were some of those students in the first couple of years at the animation departement of Calarts...

- Benjamin

telliott
02-14-2005, 06:06 PM
>C'mon. Let's keep these kind of negative attacks at other persons out of this thread.

Hey Bentagon,

Sorry if that came off as a negative attack. I was just trying to bring some levity into (what I perceived) as a far-fetched and catty discussion. I will edit it so its more general.

So again, if I offended, my deepest appologies.

andy_maxman
02-15-2005, 11:36 AM
any news on when pace2 registration and classes begin?

RayenD
02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
I too feel some people, including me, may be a bit naive or too excited for clear thinking, but there's something I noticed while reading some interviews a couple of months ago

Yeah, thats what I meant by saying "excitement is a part of life". Without it, all those funny movies would never be made.

Even a little bit of overexcitement at young age isn't bad :) heheh..

The trick is to don't loose it when you grow up and be able to balance it with real life needs and thinking, so you don't end on the street, like Ryan Larkin did.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue5.08/5.08pages/robinsonlarkin.php3

AZL42
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Has the specific time of the launch been announced?
-Adam

philippeduvin
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Just never stop dreaming and you'll have a great life ! :)

philippeduvin
02-15-2005, 10:24 PM
planned for monday but nothing yet...shawn ? any news about that ? :)

andy_maxman
02-16-2005, 02:47 AM
hey guys .....
wanted to check on this if anyone received a mail with 'AnimationMentor Stuff' as the subject line from Bobby Beck asking for email id confirmation?
what irked me was it had his_cgtalk_name@yahoo.com as the senders id. is this legit or some sort of spamming idea?

btw - still any news on when pace2 registration and classes begin?

PixelTales
02-16-2005, 03:28 AM
I couldn't tell you if it is some sort of spam idea or not. :shrug: I just checked my email though and I didn't recieve an email like that. You might try emailing the AM newsletter email address as a response first, and see what they say.

animboom
02-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Yes, t'was I.

-BOOM

andy_maxman
02-16-2005, 06:14 AM
thanks for clearing that bobby. responded to the pm with my real name.

Sniffet
02-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Any info on how long the first "selection" will take (based on the essays)? Im going of on a small vacation (problably my last for a long time considering I hopefully have some full time studies to take care of soon :) ) between the 4:th-19:th march. So I hope that there will be something before the 4:th so I can arrange all papers/fees etc.

Have you decided on which time you start the race tomorrow?

/Regards Peter K

Rabid pitbull
02-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Ok I need to get a few things clear. As far as the high school diploma goes. Is a scan of it all that is needed or do we need to contact the school for official transcripts, also I have a associates in science degree (electronics technology), is there any reason to send proof of this? Now for the references. I can certainly get a reference from people I have done work with, but I am Thirty-Four and it has been a long time since I entered a school door getting a teachers referal would be close to impossible. I noticed it is not required, but is it going to hurt mky chances? Finally the essay. I have been working on it and want to put finishing touches on it. Is any specific format required? And of course nobody knows the official time of the sign up yet. Right?

Thanks,

James

AZL42
02-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey James,

I'm not on the AM team or anything, but from what I gather here are the answers to your questions. The actual sending of the diploma will be handled after people are accepted so there is no rush there, I'm sure we'll get more info if we get in. In response to other people they've said they don't care about your age or how recently you went to school. I'd just add someone you respect as a second reference. For format for the essay: plaintext...if you mean format of the content, they haven't mentioned they wanted any formal format or anything like that. As to the launch time, I don't know. Shawn Kelly said either the time-zone for their server or their office and said they'd announce the official launch time a couple days ago...Hope this helps.

Adam

Rabid pitbull
02-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks Adam, I think I am just getting excited that the program is finally going to start soon!

stewartjones
02-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks Adam, I think I am just getting excited that the program is finally going to start soon!

We all are mate! :D

swadepgh
02-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Pitbull, I saw somewhere in the catalog or newsletter that the second academic reference was optional. I think you could probably just use one professional reference. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a second, but I believe only one is required.

Yippeee!

immerzeelpictures
02-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Well for the European applicants.
Animation Mentor's server is placed at RackSpace.com in Berkeley CA, USA. That would make the time difference about 9 hours (Europe/Amsterdam).

In the scenario when they auto-publish the new site and only using the date as a key, it would launch at 00:00 Pacific time that would be 09:00 CET here, so pretty normal working day hour.

Any other time is also +9 hours, of course.

If you don't know your time zone difference you can find it here: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

skelly6
02-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Just a quick note to let you guys know that the launch time is sitll planned to be 12:01am PACIFIC STANDARD TIME, Thursday, February 17th. woo hoo!

There's a new newsletter on the way out with more details for you guys... see you all tomorrow! Thanks again for all the support - you guys rock.

shawn ;)

mgarward
02-16-2005, 09:20 PM
*sets six alarms, makes sure everything is ready, crosses fingers*

Alarms? Who am I kidding? Like I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.:D

My Fault
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Hopefully we don't all end up crashing the server at 12:02am :)

LIGHTYEAR
02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Thank the maker! Finally the hour of reckoning draweth nigh(eth). Good luck everyone!

maelstrom
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
*gets all excited*

stewartjones
02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
It's so close... Yet so far... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

philippeduvin
02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
WOW, that was a special day, start with an email from bobby and just finished with the announcement of the launching time by Shawn...it's gonna be 09.01 am in France....:)

A cup of coffee, some croissant and here we go for the registration !! can't wait !!

Good luck yall and hope to see you on the other side of the mirror :thumbsup:

Afr_CG
02-16-2005, 10:29 PM
well I guess I have to wake up around 3 am (East Coast) :scream: :shrug: :bounce:
See you all there guys, good luck to everyone!

Later

mmkelly011881
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM
starts dancing in his cubicle

3am!!! pssh thats nothin!

kungfudork
02-16-2005, 10:54 PM
....and so the next adventure begins at 3:01am

good luck to everyone!

i hope to see you in class!

-kungfudork

swadepgh
02-16-2005, 11:08 PM
This whole thing is starting to make me nervous now. I really hope to be able to join the class. I guess all that we can do is apply and wait.

Good luck everyone!

monstersauce
02-16-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't remember the last time I actually hyperventilated...

almost eight hours to go... I hope to see you all in there!

Best of luck every one!!!

Makomako
02-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Does anybody knoes exactly the time of the launch? It's 1.30 AM here in Paris and i'm still hanging on my mail box, waiting for a news...

Everything for the application will be on www.animationmentor.com (http://www.animationmentor.com), won't it?

thx

makomako

mmkelly011881
02-16-2005, 11:50 PM
it's 12:01 AM PST makomako so it will be 9:01am Paris Time

Makomako
02-16-2005, 11:59 PM
thank you very much my hero!! i can go to bed now :bounce:

God, i hadn't see, it was just said before... sorry...

maelstrom
02-17-2005, 12:02 AM
good luck to everyone, i really hope to see you guys in AM! :)

mikefeil
02-17-2005, 12:02 AM
good luck to all, I hope you all get a place...however alot wont. Anyway, it 7:01pm for anyone in sydney who is doing it. Second batch will be my turn.

Good Luck

jono338
02-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Yes, 7.01pm Thursday is much better than I'd been thinking, like 3am on Friday, or something.

I had thought I'd been reasonably calm about the whole thing up to now, but it's surprising how much activity is going on inside today. I'm more excited than I knew, though some of that is now definitely about "will I get in?", and "what if I don't!?" :scream:

I must say, it was quite difficult writing the essay; I always loathed writing essays in school, so who would have thought I'd ever find 500 words wasn't enough! And hard to know quite how to pitch it, and get everything in. I hope they take into account that we want to be animators, not essay writers, but that will probably be quite obvious. :D

So, good luck everyone! T minus 6 hours 12 minutes ...

Oh. Thought you might find this link usefull ...

Pacific Time (http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8/java)

clockwerkz
02-17-2005, 02:38 AM
It's funny how everyone pretty much stayed loyal to the original thread. :-)

My alarm clock is set for 3 AM, roughly 4 1/2 hours from now..

Good luck to everyone.. let's go animate.

cW

SheepFactory
02-17-2005, 04:04 AM
gentleman start your browsers :cool:

andy_maxman
02-17-2005, 04:11 AM
once the registration beings what are the things that would be necessary to execute from our end?
essay?
payment?
thanks!

polymath
02-17-2005, 04:16 AM
http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/AMonlineNewsletter_4.52.html

The latest newsletter pretty much says everything, andy_maxman, and everything that isn't there is pretty much covered in the catalog :D!

After filling out our applications (includes information, probably reference, and essay, etc) and after a day's wait, we'll take the tiny test. Then, after much much MUCH more waiting, the mentors will decide and respond.

Is that what you want to know?

unseenthings
02-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Right there with you, Jono.... I started typing in notepad and thought, hmmm, well, that's a good first paragraph or so... paste into Word and do Word Count.... oops! WAY too many words. Too much detail. :) I'm now on like my 8th revision and I'm down to 600 words. 300-500 words is more like a paragraph than an essay. :)

I'm off to pare it down some more... good luck to everyone!

fluffybunny
02-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Then, after much much MUCH more waiting, the mentors will decide and respond.

There can't be too much waiting....class begins on Monday.

oops....I'm off by a month....working too much :-D

eric

andy_maxman
02-17-2005, 04:30 AM
The latest newsletter pretty much says everything, andy_maxman, and everything that isn't there is pretty much covered in the catalog :D!

After filling out our applications (includes information, probably reference, and essay, etc) and after a day's wait, we'll take the tiny test. Then, after much much MUCH more waiting, the mentors will decide and respond.

Is that what you want to know?
well, pretty much mate....
thing is i had been thinking on pace2 till i learnt the date has been pushed further down.
and now i'm pretty hanky-panky with not much time left to prepare for pace1. so if there is anything more i need to know, pls do.
i'm trying to brush up with the 44 pg. pdf catalog.
thnks!
;-)andy

erilaz
02-17-2005, 04:43 AM
So many posts to go through, but I couldn't see it... if I apply now and (hopefully) get in, can I opt for second term rather than first? Life is a big miasma of craziness right now, and I don't think I could possibly give the course the attention I want to give it (ie. As much as physically possible).

I'm aching with longing for this course, but's it heart-breaking to think I may have to reapply at a later date and go on a VERY long waiting list!:sad:

This is the best thing to come along since monkeys worked out they could stand upright!

swadepgh
02-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Jono, ascent, I am there too. About a week ago I decided to rewrite my essay from scratch and wrote what I thought was the perfect expression of why I should be part of animation mentor...then I saw the 500 word limit. I only had to take out 60 words or so but wow was that difficult! I think it took me 10 times longer to remove 60 words than it took me to do the entire rewrite in the first place!

:shrug:

polymath
02-17-2005, 04:50 AM
This advice might come a little late, but its kinda helpful anyway.

Writing one essay for hours upon hours, keeping only one version is usually not the way to go at all. What really works, in my experience, is to write timed pieces, take a break, take a look, and do it again.

Timed essays limit the time you get to make small, pointless changes and force you to look at the big picture, the organization, and the voice. Even if there isn't enough time to do it more than once, if you start with a quickie outline and go from there, you won't change your mind so much and end up ruining an otherwise perfect piece!

Hope it helps,

FUG1T1VE
02-17-2005, 04:55 AM
So many posts to go through, but I couldn't see it... if I apply now and (hopefully) get in, can I opt for second term rather than first? Life is a big miasma of craziness right now, and I don't think I could possibly give the course the attention I want to give it (ie. As much as physically possible).

I'm aching with longing for this course, but's it heart-breaking to think I may have to reapply at a later date and go on a VERY long waiting list!:sad:

This is the best thing to come along since monkeys worked out they could stand upright!

I asked them this question and this was the response. :thumbsup:
You can apply for a later term on February 17th. Just be sure and click
on Fall 2005 as your first preference for desired term on the online
application.

polymath
02-17-2005, 05:07 AM
2 hours to go, right?

Yippee!

erilaz
02-17-2005, 05:20 AM
I asked them this question and this was the response. :thumbsup:
You can apply for a later term on February 17th. Just be sure and click
on Fall 2005 as your first preference for desired term on the online
application.

Thanks FUG1T1VE! I'm still not sure if I should yet... gotta work out my time and my finances. So much work, so little time!:scream:

peanuckle
02-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Got the case of Mt. Dew ready and just finished my essay. Tonight will be a good night :)

Tanner

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 06:10 AM
essay backed up on all 3 hard drives and gmail!

sorry fellas, it's 537 words... i think it's worth it

switching over to internet explorer.....now!

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 06:11 AM
starts to relapse

maninflash
02-17-2005, 06:17 AM
Out of curiosoty, is there an special link everyone should go to to fill out their submission or is it on animationmentor.com homepage?

SheepFactory
02-17-2005, 06:21 AM
it'll be on animationmentor homepage , just check after 12.01 pacific time like the newslatter says.

Jozvex
02-17-2005, 06:34 AM
sorry fellas, it's 537 words... i think it's worth it

*GASP*

Mine's 504, hehe.

:thumbsup:

animboom
02-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Yo! Just a small heads up; you may need to delete your cache. in IE go to tools, internet options and "delete files." Not sure if you will need to do this but just in case... Oh.... I've got my Mt. Dew too!!!

-BOOM

SheepFactory
02-17-2005, 06:40 AM
this last 15 minutes is passing reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaally slow :cry:

peanuckle
02-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey is it ok that my essay is a little long? Its not a 10 pager by any means its 750 words. I could dwindle it down...but its hard :)

Tanner

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 06:48 AM
last 15 minutes? you posted at :40 ! aw crap.. i hope my clock is right!

phew, synced it with microsoft

DonHuan
02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
So its ...arround15 more minutes for the launch of the refreshed AnimationMentor.com?

I guess everyone outside US try to figure out this conversion....:rolleyes: .

monstersauce
02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
the longest 12 minutes of my life...:scream:

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 06:50 AM
of my life! :D

http://archiv.tiscali.cz/ente/images/4/1/9/0/419082.jpg

philippeduvin
02-17-2005, 06:51 AM
is anyone a doctor ??? my body is shaking !! :scream: :thumbsup:

bentllama
02-17-2005, 06:52 AM
just...writing...essay...now...

philippeduvin
02-17-2005, 06:52 AM
kidding man ???:)

Makomako
02-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Ok guys, i'm up, here we can go now...
no, no , wait, just getting something to eat...

philippeduvin
02-17-2005, 06:53 AM
crap i forgot...got laundry to do, got to go :scream:

mayakindaguy
02-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Breathe In, Breathe Out.

Good luck everyone I look forward to pestering each and every one of you when we all get in. Woo hoo!

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Man, it's a good thing this isn't on IRC, we'd have tons of dumb things being posted...

oh :shrug:

hideandfreak
02-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Just wanted to post something real quick to get some practice in. Ok, typing fingers are working. Best of luck everyone.

Jozvex
02-17-2005, 06:57 AM
*Hmm, maybe I should start sledging people in order to make myself seem more worthy....*

I saw mmkelly011881 eat the last donut and then deny it!!!

philippeduvin
02-17-2005, 06:57 AM
3 minutes !...

LIGHTYEAR
02-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Good Luck everyone, see you on the other side, hopefully! Sooo nervous....!

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Aussie Aussie Aussie... OI OI OI!!!

20 secs

polymath
:D Anyone else's email look like this? (The list goes on waaaaaaay down, 800+ entries?)

http://copland.udel.edu/%7Epolymath/Email_AM.png

:D:D:D:D:D
And proud of it.

SheepFactory
is the page up yet , i thik i deleted the internet cache 900 times in the last 10 minutes...

mayakindaguy
02-17-2005, 07:01 AM
is it up?
i don't see it?

andy_maxman
is the link
www.animationmentor.com
it still sint up yet,,
why?

mmkelly011881
April Fools!

Makomako
the at the left, cookies at the right... we can go...
Does anybody knoes approximately how many students wants to be in the first session?
(in order to evaluate the chances on 300 students...)

stewartjones
02-17-2005, 07:04 AM
... Whens it happenin... I make it 12.04!!!

mmkelly011881
um, anyone get in yet?

stay cool everybody

SheepFactory
its 12.10 here now.. :cry:

lets animate a bouncing ball while waiting guys ;)

Rabid pitbull
The Agony!! refresh refresh refresh.....

peanuckle
The suspence is killing me....continues to edit essay :)

Chugs Mt. Dew in Napoleon Dynamite Fashion.

Tanner

My Fault
02-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Aargh, time moving slowly... must keep refreshing.... must clear cache... :thumbsup:

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 07:06 AM
sheep, i think your clock is 5 mins fast

Jozvex
I"M IN!!!

Oh wait, that was in my head. Damn.

alexandrecollac
6 Am Here, Waiting.

Damn I Am Paying U$6 To Acess Internet

dimension10
Delete, Ctrl +W

mayakindaguy
I think Jozvex just gave me a heart attack.

peanuckle
02-17-2005, 07:07 AM
My F5 key just slapped me...is that normal?

Kimotion
Just got back from a loooong day (got up at 5:30am, worked, did animation til 11pm and just got back home) and I am so tired. I am still unsure if I should take this class!

mmkelly011881
ah hah! it's a test... to separate the wheat from the chaff... don't be the chaff!!!

whoa.. too much sugar

stewartjones
02-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I think Jozvex just gave me a heart attack.

Likewise... You think they were just joking with us?!!? :D

Mooncalf
02-17-2005, 07:08 AM
ah hah! it's a test... to separate the wheat from the chaff... don't be the chaff!!!

whoa.. too much sugar

What's chaff?????

;)

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 07:09 AM
:)

exactly

:)

mayakindaguy
chaff- To make fun of in a good-natured way; tease.

jono338
Aaaarrrrrggghhh. This is cruel an inhuman punishment!!!

immerzeelpictures
02-17-2005, 07:10 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! leT ME IN.....

Or I huff and puff ........

andy_maxman
02-17-2005, 07:10 AM
this friggin nasty...guiys....
boom and gang giving crazy breakdowns......

animboom
02-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Sorry about the delay. It's coming VERY soon. hang in there. It's not that far off.

I think it'll be in the next 20 minutes.

-BOOM

Rabid pitbull
Ok just tried in explorer... doesn't load, firefox loads preview page fine. lol Designed for which browser again? :scream:

mmkelly011881
mayakindaguy:

more like this

Chaff:

The dry bracts enclosing mature grains of wheat and some other cereal grasses, removed during threshing.

those who don't stand up to the threshing will not become bread!

stewartjones
02-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Let me register!!!

andy_maxman
isnt this like org*s**m??

ok...boomm...thnks i really needed to pee....;-)

AZL42
Just keep checking, just keep checking...

clockwerkz
I just want to know one thing: Who broke the coffee pot?? I saw Mooncalf screwing around with it earlier, playing with the non dairy creamer... :shrug:

Ahh.I dunno..just exhausted and waiting like everyone else. :D

cW

DonHuan
The maskot of AM is eating our livers:twisted: .....

Makomako
now i understand why they create an online school : not to see over hundreds of guys trying to pas over the school grids and destroying anything in front of them to be in...

Ejecta
Whats going on? Anyone know?

darkefire
arg!!! all of the above! and why does my browser crash when im trying to post a reply??

Kenny_Rocks
I cant get in !!
is everyone else having the same problem..
the AM website looks like it has done for the last 6 months..

where is th eApply online Button !!!??

I'm Freaking Out !!

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!

mayakindaguy
02-17-2005, 07:13 AM
can we get a BOOOOOOOOOOOM when it does launch? http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

immerzeelpictures
Come on guys rename that file!

stewartjones
... definately gonna need a new keyboard, my F5 key is dying!!!

mmkelly011881
chill lads... if you cant get in.. nobody can!

don't worry, be happy!

alexandrecollac
Shawn and Bobby are here, pls put it in air, i am payng 6 dollars per 6 ten minutes of internet acess

monstersauce
I can start to breath again...

hideandfreak
Man this is crazy, I have 2 computers up, each with a different browser/connection and I'm just refreshing away. Shouldn't be long now.

planeskent
02-17-2005, 07:14 AM
never mind...

stewartjones
02-17-2005, 07:14 AM
chill lads... if you cant get in.. nobody can!

don't worry, be happy!

How dare you! LOL!!! I will not chill!!! :thumbsup:

peanuckle
02-17-2005, 07:15 AM
I just wrote a small script that would delete the cache and then refesh the page.

I'm so pathetic :)

Tanner

Makomako
hideandfreak (member.php?u=18412), cheater!! lol!

animboom
There's posts going all over the place this is nutty. ;)

We will be up in about 20 minutes...

dimension10
This reminds me of the dot com days when companies payed interns to refresh their pages and show advertisers more hits :)

skelly6
ha ha ha ha ha -- you guys are posting so fast, I think you missed Bobby's post! There's a slight delay - probably up in 20 minutes tops.

we're SO stoked at the excitement we're reading on here!!! woo hoo!!

s

hideandfreak
02-17-2005, 07:16 AM
thats so funny I was thinking of doing the same thing.

SheepFactory
can you share that script :)

Afr_CG
I wish I was paid just for hitting the "Refresh" button.. :D ..--->we would ALL be rich by now!

Rabid pitbull
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Ok so lets just get this thread to grow some more then. Come on 150 pages! It is good to see so many people this serious to be in at exact moment. Gonna be great program.

mgarward
Delete cache, refresh AM.com page, refresh CGTalk forum page, rinse, repeat.

(repeat, repeat, repeat) :)

stewartjones
I wish I was paid just for hitting the "Refresh" button.. :D ..--->we would ALL be rich by now!

I agree with you there... 800000 hits a second on the F5 key! :)

Makomako
20 minutes? what will I do now?...

mmkelly011881
02-17-2005, 07:18 AM
I just wrote a small script that would delete the cache and then refesh the page.

I'm so pathetic :)

Tanner

wow i can't even fathom that

Kenny_Rocks
I just crawled out of bed..I have to go to work ..but i cant miss this

so i guess I'll get shouted at by the boss..

hideandfreak
#2000 coming up. 5 bucks and a spot at AM.com to the poster . . . ?

alexandrecollac
30 minutes 18 dollars, :sad: , need to take a break

unseenthings
Ah, the joys of launch ;-) Nothing like things going wacky at the last minute. Well, it's not like that happening on my own project hasn't kept me up more than once. *yawn* 2:15 here.... I went to bed around midnight.

Bobby and Shawn: we know you're doing what you can. :)

Everybody hold tight... we've been waiting for months... another 20 minutes isn't going to kill us :) They're probably just trying to make sure the server can handle the 300,000 hits it'll get right away... all the refreshing and reloading of the flash app probably doesn't help, though. I'm sure they'll post here when it's ready to roll.

philippeduvin
Shawn and Bob, youre are goin to kill us :) its 9.00 in the morning but i already drink 9 cups of coffee. its so huge ! I know its a disease but i cant stop thanks you man for all of that. :thumbsup:

everything is beginning right now and right here for a lot of peoples who wants to be animator !

SheepFactory
yea i have to wake up at 5am too but what the hell :D

hideandfreak
ya, Im calling into work dead, dying and busy at my computer.