PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

BadMange
11-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, at least you didn't throw your vote away on Nader!

strangelife
11-02-2004, 10:38 PM
I checked this out awhile back and totally forgot about it. What an incredible opportunity for those enrolled. I've still got some moolah to put away on student loans and life expenses, but I'll be damned if I don't find some money and time to give these guys for their sage advice in the next year or two or three...

agreenster
11-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey Adam..

Dude, hello??? Game industry is hopping mad right now, my friend....Anyhow, yes, please let us know how it all turns out.

Woo Hoo!! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1706641#post1706641)

olioli
11-07-2004, 01:30 AM
any word yet on the price :bounce:

DevilHacker
11-07-2004, 01:49 AM
any word yet on the price :bounce:
I was wondering the same thing...

If it has really good Tutorials and good set of forms (for questions); I would be willing to pay an yearly subscription, (from $10-$50, No more than a $100)...

Peddy
11-07-2004, 04:29 AM
huh? your kidding right? gnomon online is $50 a month.

Mooncalf
11-07-2004, 04:32 AM
I don't believe there's been any indication of price yet, though we got a hint that it'll be in th next newsletter. Which hasn't arrived. I'm pretty sure that the nanosecond after the price is announced, this thread will have a gazillion new posts about it. :)

Devil: The most we know about price right now is that it will be commensurate with the kind of pricing for a similar program in a good arts school. People have been speculating that will be at least a few thousand dollars.

However, it sounds like you have the impression that AnimationMentor.com will be a kind of CGTalk-ish place, but specifically geared towards animation. Not the case. It won't be a storehouse of tutorials and forums, which you'll have access to for a subscription fee. (even though I think Bobby said they're building in good forums for classmates)

It'll be more like doing an independent study with a super knowledgeable professor guiding your way. Specific and direct one-on-one advice from industry profesionals, focused on YOU; not posting a message and then hoping someone replies. :)

I don't have much of an idea what the price will be... but whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it'll be a bargain for what you get in return. ;)

- M

clockwerkz
11-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Woo Hoo!! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1706641#post1706641)
It was only a matter of time. :-) Like I posted in your other thread.. I'm very happy for you, and I wish nothing but the best. You are most definitely one of the guys on my "must buy a beer" list. Judging from the turtle character, you must be a Rolling Rock kind of guy, eh? :-D

Yup, there hasn't been any word on price yet. Just speculation on this thread. Sit tight, I'm sure news is just around the corner! Incidentally, when I went to see Incredibles, I caught Bobby Beck and Carlos Baena's names on the credits. It helped remind me how lucky we are all that they decided to come up with this plan, and even more luckier that they've gone through with it.

[edit] Mooncalf: That would be my guess on price as well. About a couple of grand, give or take.

cW

oshiroii
11-07-2004, 11:44 AM
However, it sounds like you have the impression that AnimationMentor.com will be a kind of CGTalk-ish place, but specifically geared towards animation. Not the case. It won't be a storehouse of tutorials and forums, which you'll have access to for a subscription fee. (even though I think Bobby said they're building in good forums for classmates)

- M
Hmmm, I disagree with the cgtalk-ish place. It's much more for as far as I'm told. You get a tutor and he guides you to the process. (I forget wheter you always have the same one or not) You'll make an exercise and a tutor will look at it and criticise it. The criticising is recorded on video and you can view the video. You can also chat and possably web-cam with him/her. You'll also have a forum so you can chat with your "class-mates" I think it would be much more than cgtalk-ish. if it would be a:" cg-takish place, but specifically geared toward animation" it would be our own pre-AM-forum hahahaha :D :p

I'm soooo looking forward to this, even to just hear people who are doing it talk about it (if I don't get in that is :D (and determing on the price :eek: ))

Cya!
-shiroii

Bentagon
11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
I really really want to know the price! It'll change my complete future! I think the max for me (my parents) will be about $2500 per 6 month course (so the slow way). I still want to go to college, which would be about $500-1000 a year if I'm not mistaking (yes, it's pretty cheap up here in Belgium). I'd combine this 3 or 4 year course of "animation" (more directed towards story, concept, etc. then character animation) with AM Online... That's why I can't take a job to pay for AM Online. With only a degree or knowledge of character animation, I'm afraid it'll be hard to get a job in Belgium... I'm not afraid of going to another country, but I need the job security.

I am so eagerly waiting for that newsletter... Bobby? Shawn? Carlos? If you read this, any hints when it will be released??

- Bentagon

Mooncalf
11-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Hmmm, I disagree with the cgtalk-ish place. It's much more for as far as I'm told.

I know. That's what I was saying. ;)

if it would be a:" cg-takish place, but specifically geared toward animation" it would be our own pre-AM-forum hahahaha :D :p

Which is located, of course, at http://animationgroup.proboards30.com - consider that an open invitation to participate in some good animation exercise and critique, everyone! :)

- M

DevilHacker
11-07-2004, 04:09 PM
A few thousand Dollars!
WOW http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
I guess I am going to have to wait, and see...
Might have to get a job to pay for this, god knows my parents will not!
LOL, I am still saving up for my boxed version of XSI (I am using XSI EXP right now)

But if any of this hype is true, I can not wait... I almost sound like on of those full online schools. It should be very cool to see how everything works out!

Also I have a question, will they give you software, such as Maya or XSI? So that the entire student population will be on the same page, using the same tool?
Or will they let you use your own home-bought tools?
Or will they just pick a set of tools such as XSI and make you buy that before you start classes?

clockwerkz
11-07-2004, 04:46 PM
DevilHacker:
Since the course focus is directly on animation, it is software independant. So you're free to use any software you'd like. I believe though, that they are using Maya, and are attempting to coordinate with Alias to sell the academic version of Maya for students. They've also mentioned having some side classes to bring you up to speed with working in Maya.
They are really making it easy for someone to use whatever they feel most comfortable with. That way, 100% of your time goes straight to animation, and not software learning.

cW

[edit] go to animationmentor.com and open up the FAQ. Question #12 addresses the concern. They're offering Maya Complete for $479 [edit: Thank you, Mooncalf] for students of AM.

Mooncalf
11-07-2004, 04:54 PM
go to animationmentor.com and open up the FAQ. Question #12 addresses the concern. They're offering Maya Complete for $749 for students of AM.

Actually, it looks like it'll be $479! (a little typo never hurt no one, though, CW) ;)

They say that's Alias's student price. I wonder if that's the academic version, or the full version offered at the academic price.

Either way, very very cool.

- M

Bentagon
11-07-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm guessing the academic version. I doubt they'd let us go commercial with a version that is cheaper then XSI foundation :p

- Bentagon

DevilHacker
11-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply clockwerkz…

I am so stocked about this online course, I was just wondering how many people will be allowed, because in the CGNetworks article it said “AnimationMentor.com is scheduled for the fall 2004, and students can join at any time until seats are full.” And since, there looks to only be a limited amount of teachers, how many seats will there be? Maybe 300 max?

olioli
11-07-2004, 07:42 PM
devilhacker,

there will be more than 4 teachers...i think. just guessing from the looks of the trailer

DevilHacker
11-07-2004, 07:54 PM
devilhacker,

there will be more than 4 teachers...i think. just guessing from the looks of the trailer
Ya, I just watched the video, and edited the post.

But still how many do you think?

Bentagon
11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm guessing there'll be about 10 pupils per mentor, so that'll make about 200 students. I hope I'm one of them in october :)

- Bentagon

olioli
11-09-2004, 12:15 AM
yo bobby,
hope all is well, one question: once students, if we choose to buy maya at the price you posted on your site, will we be able to use it commerically :shrug:

clockwerkz
11-09-2004, 12:46 AM
If it's an academic version, you won't be able to use it commercially. I don't think there's any software that allows you to use it commercially if acquired at a discount student rate. But, I can be wrong! :-)

cW

oshiroii
11-09-2004, 04:53 AM
It's just the full version, it's complete, you can do everything with it possible in the software. You just can't use it commercialy, you can't make money with it. BUT, it's for you, the student and it's the full complete version, but not for money. :D

NOW WHERE"S THAT NEWS LETTER!!! :p

mikefeil
11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
quater of the way through nov, gimme gimme gimme that newsletter :)

either it will make me cry for eternity, and force me into slave labour, or, hopefully jump with glee :D

and bah for incredibles coming out in australia on boxing day, damm you disney.

olioli
11-09-2004, 02:51 PM
so if it's the whole and complete version, with no watermark, how does Alias know you won't use it commercially. does it have a different save format or something...

oshiroii
11-09-2004, 04:57 PM
so if it's the whole and complete version, with no watermark, how does Alias know you won't use it commercially. does it have a different save format or something...

No watermark, becuase watermark + alias = Maya PLE = free = not usable for AMonline.
They don't know if you'd use it commercially. But I think you could only do this as an individual (no suggestions) because I'm quite sure they'll keep a close eye on the bigger studios, wouldn't risk using an illigal versions in a big studio though.

alexandrecollac
11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Where is the NEW NEWSLETTER??? :banghead: :banghead:

Bentagon
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
If it's an academic version, you won't be able to use it commercially. I don't think there's any software that allows you to use it commercially if acquired at a discount student rate. But, I can be wrong! :-)

cWAnimation Master :)
Student version costs even $100 less (so $199), and you can do whatever you want with it. With Maya, etc. it costs less because you can't make any profit of it, with AM it costs less because a student hasn't got a job and thus can afford less.

how kind of them, no?

- Bentagon

DevilHacker
11-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Just for anyone who wants to know…
Softimage is selling (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/educational/student-teacher.asp) XSI 4.0 for students for $295
This lets you also sell what ever you make with it…

No limits! :thumbsup:

olioli
11-10-2004, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE=Bentagon]Animation Master :)
Student version costs even $100 less (so $199), and you can do whatever you want with it. With Maya, etc. it costs less because you can't make any profit of it, with AM it costs less because a student hasn't got a job and thus can afford less.

hmm, I think I'm confused...

I just read this from Alias' site

Education: Terms and Conditions of use – Alias Education Software
http://www.alias.com/eng/common/img/bullet.gifUse the software ONLY for educational purposes and/or projects. NO PRODUCTION, FOR PROFIT OR COMMERCIAL USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS PERMITTEDhttp://www.alias.com/eng/common/img/bullet.gifEducation customers must elect a single point of contact (from within the educational institution) for ALL support-related issues registered with Aliashttp://www.alias.com/eng/common/img/bullet.gifHave adequate system support to install and maintain software licenseshttp://www.alias.com/eng/common/img/bullet.gifStudent & Faculty versions of Alias software are intended for personal instructional use onlyhttp://www.alias.com/eng/common/img/bullet.gifFor further details on Education software licensing please refer to the End-user License Agreement included in each software package or online (http://www.alias.com/eng/legal/software_licenses-maintenance_agreements.shtml)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming thats for the "Education/Student" version and NOT the "Academic" version that AM will hook you up with cheap, correct?

Thanks everyone for your help again, I'm just trying to work out some numbers...

vizjac
11-10-2004, 04:29 AM
I'm assuming thats for the "Education/Student" version and NOT the "Academic" version that AM will hook you up with cheap, correct?

Isn't "Education/Student" versions and "Academic" versions one in the same?
VIZJAC

Rabid pitbull
11-10-2004, 04:31 AM
Just for anyone who wants to know…
Softimage is selling (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/educational/student-teacher.asp) XSI 4.0 for students for $295
This lets you also sell what ever you make with it…

No limits! :thumbsup:
Better read the fine print, cause this license does not allow any commercial work to be created with it.

The Student/Teacher license is only to learn SOFTIMAGE|XSI and make some cool stuff, but cannot be used for paid work.

http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/educational/student-teacher_info.asp

Still as a student it is a excellent price. Of course a demo reel can be made with it, and it can be used to complete the AM course. Not sure if enrollment in AM will qualify for student pricing like the maya student version does.

vizjac
11-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Where is that newsletter? I am 36 and looking to change careers!

NEED ANIMATION MENTOR!:applause:

olioli
11-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Isn't "Education/Student" versions and "Academic" versions one in the same?
VIZJAC[/QUOTE]

yep, I think your'e right, I thought that the education version did not let you save in regular .mb format and that the academic version did... I know I'm an idiot :banghead:

The PLE version only saves in .ple, so you can not export that file into the complete or unlimited version. And also has an annoying watermark.

I guess the maya software that AM will be offering for 479 is the complete package with no watermarks or weird educational save formats, just priced low so that AM students can afford to get it.

The only downfall to this is that you aren't allowed to make money off of it...correct?

vizjac
11-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I guess the maya software that AM will be offering for 479 is the complete package with no watermarks or weird educational save formats, just priced low so that AM students can afford to get it.

The only downfall to this is that you aren't allowed to make money off of it...correct?[/QUOTE]
You are correct in saying that you are not allowed to make money off of it, 2000 bucks for that version. Although some companies allow you to purchase a production copy at a reduced price, if you have already purchased a student copy. Still its a lot of money.

479 bucks for a educational non watermarked copy is a good deal though. I know that some softwares are less but I am a newbie to Maya (formerly Max architectural render) and I like Maya alot so I will shell out the cash.

DevilHacker
11-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Better read the fine print, cause this license does not allow any commercial work to be created with it.

The Student/Teacher license is only to learn SOFTIMAGE|XSI and make some cool stuff, but cannot be used for paid work.

http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/educational/student-teacher_info.asp

Still as a student it is a excellent price. Of course a demo reel can be made with it, and it can be used to complete the AM course. Not sure if enrollment in AM will qualify for student pricing like the maya student version does.
SOFTIMAGE|XSI v.4.0
Permanent License
Commercial SRP: $ 8.995
Student/Teacher price: $295 (usmsrp)

Permanent license of SOFTIMAGE|XSI Advanced v.4.0 for Windows
Kit includes: media and tutorial CD; software CD; documentation CD; Principles of XSI DVD; setup & licensing kit and dongle

Buy Now! (http://store.softimage.com/)

From here it says that it is a "permanent license", also comes with "licensing kit"

I think that the one you are talking about is the free student license...

Mooncalf
11-10-2004, 09:57 PM
I suppose, at this point in the student/professional/acedmic discussion, I have to wonder if any of it would make a big difference to me.

I don't think that there's any way I would be using Maya to do production work for myself--nothing commercial, certainly. I just want to learn how to become a better animator.

Now, I'm not saying that y'all peoples might not have a use for the full version... but really, are you going to be doing commercial work with whatever version of Maya you're getting through Animation Mentor?

And are you really signing up for Animation Mentor to get a price break on some software? :)

No offense intended towards anyone, by the way. I'm-a just sayin'.

- M

vizjac
11-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Now, I'm not saying that y'all peoples might not have a use for the full version... but really, are you going to be doing commercial work with whatever version of Maya you're getting through Animation Mentor?

And are you really signing up for Animation Mentor to get a price break on some software? :)

No offense intended towards anyone, by the way. I'm-a just sayin'.

- M
Like you, my friend, I am working on my animation skills but, the cost of it all, school and software does and will take its toll. Hoping to learn more after the next Mentor Newsletter.:thumbsup:

keenasmustard
11-10-2004, 10:51 PM
and bah for incredibles coming out in australia on boxing day, damm you disney ISOMETRIX: I'm in the same boat mate... but possibly worse! I'm leaving Oz at the end of November to go to the US... I might miss it there too!!! AARRGFGGGHH!!:eek:

itamar3D
11-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Who knows when arrives the list of the chosen teams for the course?

mikefeil
11-11-2004, 01:26 AM
aw well...I guess its better then nemo. That was like a 6 month gap. I got the dvd from amazon as it was premiering in oz :thumbsup:

Bentagon
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
ISOMETRIX: I'm in the same boat mate... but possibly worse! I'm leaving Oz at the end of November to go to the US... I might miss it there too!!! AARRGFGGGHH!!:eek:You don't really think that The Incredibles will be out of the theaters after only 1 month, do you?

- Bentagon

vizjac
11-12-2004, 01:46 AM
You don't really think that The Incredibles will be out of the theaters after only 1 month, do you?

- Bentagon

The Incredibles will be in the theaters for quite a long time. Great movie - Great story line. :thumbsup:

RobW720
11-12-2004, 05:11 AM
The Incredibles will be in the theaters for quite a long time. Great movie - Great story line. :thumbsup:
yeah, it cant hurt when people like me see it over and over again :-D

animboom
11-12-2004, 06:38 AM
Hey, Folks. Bobby Beck here from AnimationMentor.com. I just wanted to give an update that we will be sending out a newsletter next week which details who our mentors are and the long awaited pricing information. :bounce:

It's been a lot of busy work and we've had our hands full over the last month. But the results we are seeing from the beta testing is really paying off and we're all very excited about the whole thing! We can't wait to share it with the world come this December. Thanks for being patient.

Talk to you all soon.

-BOOOM

Phearielord
11-12-2004, 06:42 AM
WHO HOOOOO! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
cant wait!

man....i'm soooo excited!

vizjac
11-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Hey, Folks. Bobby Beck here from AnimationMentor.com. I just wanted to give an update that we will be sending out a newsletter next week which details who our mentors are and the long awaited pricing information. :bounce:
-BOOOM

Alright! Awesome! I am so excited to get more info! looking forward to being part of your program!:applause:

alexandrecollac
11-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Damn, How am I supose to sleep until newt week?:bounce:

:bounce: :bounce: It´s coming :bounce:

mikefeil
11-12-2004, 10:05 AM
its as if christmas has come early :D

yay

and yes, how are we suppose to sleep now ?

Bentagon
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
YES! YES! YES!!!

I can not wait! :bounce:
You guys are amazing:applause:

I recently found a problem with the site on Firefox, though... all about it is on the pre-AM forum, in the thread about browsers.

- Bentagon

immerzeelpictures
11-12-2004, 10:45 AM
I hope next week means monday morning 1 past midnight.

keenasmustard
11-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Still being able to see Incredibles in the cinema: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Animationmentor newsletter coming out :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

clockwerkz
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Seems like only yesterday I cranked on the ol' 'puter, surfed my way to cgtalk, and saw the thread www.animationmentor.com (http://www.animationmentor.com) thread posted by JasonOsipa on the frontpage. Now it looks like we're finally at the cusp of on-line greatness!

After countless discussion by eager fans on: pricing, whether on-line schools are better than standard schools, when will it begin, the argument over self taught versus mentoring, and who invented Pepparoni Pizza and why haven't they made a holiday for them, we are nearing close. :thumbsup:

I hope all of us have been practicing in one form or another, so when the doors finally open, we can all hit the ground running.

cW :thumbsup:

titaniumdave
11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
I hope all of us have been practicing in one form or another, so when the doors finally open, we can all hit the ground running.

Practicing more than you could imagine. :)

Bentagon
11-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Want to practice more then you can imagine, but school's giving me a hard time lately :s
Have been able to study, watch and learn a lot though, for example on the Animation Students forum. I've also just ordered The Animator's Survival Kit, The Illusion of Life and Timing for Animation... they'll arrive at the same day as the Incredibles! November 26th will from now on be my Animation Holiday :D

:bounce: must... read... newsletter!

- Bentagon

mmkelly011881
11-12-2004, 03:34 PM
I hope next week means monday morning 1 past midnight.
haha.. in america we start our weeks on SUNDAY!!!

i've been avoiding this thread for so long so that i would actually work on animation instead of typing in here but i can't hold back any longer.... WOOHAH!!!

mikefeil
11-13-2004, 01:44 AM

may i present to you my peg bar that I have recently made

http://users.bigpond.net.au/iso/DSCF0001.JPG

1 plastic ruler
2 screws
plastic nails

wooo

(been using it quite a bit too, oh and I hope you like the finding nemo tissue box I threw in, just for kicks)

fattyLees
11-13-2004, 04:58 PM
That is one ghetto peg bar my friend. I know you are excited, but you do know that a peg bar only costs a couple of bucks, right?!

keenasmustard
11-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Hey Iso: I have the exact same tissue box!!:)

clockwerkz
11-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Iso, that is serious dedication, my friend. And a Finding Nemo Kleenex box for inspiration to boot!

cW

mikefeil
11-14-2004, 06:48 AM
That is one ghetto peg bar my friend. I know you are excited, but you do know that a peg bar only costs a couple of bucks, right?!

If you can find one in Australia, I will build a small shrine for you :bowdown: :) I googled and yellowpaged for hours and hours trying to find a place that will either ship a peg bar for a sensible cost (most places shipping fee is like 140 bucks for a peg bar :eek: ) or some sought of supplier in Australia. Haven't been lucky thus far.

Anyway, too more photos of the day :D

http://users.bigpond.net.au/iso/DSCF0002.JPG

compete set of mcdonalds happy meal finding nemo toys :D haha lots of cheese burgers

oh and my mascot, mr fat monkey

http://users.bigpond.net.au/iso/DSCF0003.JPG

oh and not to totally stray from the most important topic at hand.......ITS SUNDAY...almost a new week, and a new newsletter.

clockwerkz
11-14-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm sure there will be an update soon enough. We've waited all this time.. a few days won't kill us. :-)

In continuing a possible trend started on showing our own inspirations, I present my office. I just snapped the photo, so it's a little messy.. ok, very messy! I set up the room the way I wanted it, I just need to clean it up again.

cW

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/49/49930/folders/165831/1311602MyOffice.jpg

mikefeil
11-14-2004, 10:39 PM
haha go buzz

keenasmustard
11-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Isometrix: I'm about to move over to the US. Maybe I can investigate options regarding me purchasing the pegboard and posting it back to you?

By the way, here's a few of my pics:
http://keenasmustard.freewebspace.com/Monitor.jpg
My growing collection of Pixar stickers from muesli bar boxes, plus my Finding Nemo screensaver. Clock: note I took the picture without showing the rest of my desk?... You think your desk is messy?! :eek:

http://keenasmustard.freewebspace.com/Poster.jpg
A sample from my collection of animation posters that adorn my walls.

http://keenasmustard.freewebspace.com/Toys.jpg
The mandatory collection of "friends" from various animations.

oshiroii
11-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Eveybody here's got toys? I've only got all the specail feature (double) DVD's :D

keenasmustard
11-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Holy snapping ducks! :eek: I just checked out the cost of shipping to Oz on one website, and I see what you mean Iso! (This one was about $60 for shipping.) I don't know what mode of transport they're intending on sending it on... spaceship maybe? Anyway, surely we can work something better out.

(Apologies to others for getting off the subject, but at least we're killing time waiting for the newsletter!)

olioli
11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
any day now :applause:

Bentagon
11-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Animation Master arrived today :)
Freetickets for avant-premiere The Incredibles won today :)
now only that newsletter :)
(+ some books I ordered :) )

Life is beautiful :)

- Bentagon

olioli
11-16-2004, 05:23 PM
you'll love Animation Master, I have it and it's a blast.

vizjac
11-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Mr. Boom did you mean the first part of the week?:)

maelstrom
11-16-2004, 10:11 PM
can't wait...

vizjac
11-17-2004, 08:18 PM
please please I can't wait.

monstersauce
11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
checking email every 15 minutes...

andy_maxman
11-18-2004, 03:29 AM
folks...what if i popped in and said.....

CHECK YOUR MAILS........yiippppeeeeeeeee........

gosh!! there is so much of excitement going on here......
cheers!

mattmos
11-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Nothing here yet... argh! Patience wearing thin...

olioli
11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
hmm, maybe he meant next week :cry:

Bentagon
11-18-2004, 04:15 PM

cheers! Are you messing with us??:curious: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):eek:

- Bentagon

vizjac
11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Are you messing with us??:curious: (http://misc.php/?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):eek:

- Bentagon
I think we are being made fun of. Cause I have not got anything yet either.

mmkelly011881
11-18-2004, 04:45 PM

cheers! That's like saying:

"Ya know what Billy? Remember your puppy that died last year? Well guess what... he's not dead!...." :bounce: *looks in box* .... "um... uh... no.. i was wrong.. he is dead... he couldnt be any deader. " :sad:

Virum
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
The waiting is horrible!

So, is admission first come first serve?

alexandrecollac
11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey Bobby i can´t spend all the week in front of my computer waiting for this.

Virum - nobody knows how the admissions are going to be, at least it is what i think

Bentagon
11-18-2004, 05:54 PM
They said it was going to be first come first serve. What I really want to know about this is whether we can apply now to start in october?

- Bentagon

vizjac
11-18-2004, 06:00 PM
They said it was going to be first come first serve. What I really want to know about this is whether we can apply now to start in october?

- Bentagon
Hopefully all of this will be explained in the newsletter, or will be up on their website soon. That is what I want to know to.

Mojo Rizen
11-18-2004, 07:21 PM
I’ve only scanned the the posts here, there are quite a few, does anyone know when they are taking registration, the cost etc. I’ve gotten a couple of their e-mails, the last one a couple of months ago, but haven’t gotten any more information.

vizjac
11-18-2004, 07:30 PM
I’ve only scanned the the posts here, there are quite a few, does anyone know when they are taking registration, the cost etc. I’ve gotten a couple of their e-mails, the last one a couple of months ago, but haven’t gotten any more information.
The newsletter with all that info is coming this week........... we are all waiting for it....... I keep checking my email every 5 minutes.

crazy3dman
11-18-2004, 07:33 PM
I think I'm down to every 2 minutes now :)

Mojo Rizen
11-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

lhvio89
11-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Just read this yesterday, and signed up for the newsletter immediately! Can't wait....guess it is better for me that i just found out yesterday though....the wait will be unbearable, but now as bad as if I found out in June like most of you did! Haha....Anyway...CAN'T WAIT!!

mikefeil
11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Well dang its now Friday here in Sydney. I reckon it will come on Friday for you guys in the states. Anyway, luckily I have half life to waste my life on. :)

andy_maxman
11-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Are you messing with us??:curious: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#):eek:

- Bentagon
relax mate…..I'm just as eagerly waiting as is anyone else here on board. It was just a thought and no tricks intended.

Virum
11-19-2004, 03:19 AM
Virum - nobody knows how the admissions are going to be, at least it is what i think
Ok, thanks. :)

I'm tending to think it will be first come since they don't require experience.

agreenster
11-19-2004, 03:52 AM
Aaagh! ! ! ! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgughgug! Pantyhose EVERY where!! Doesnt anyone have any decency!?!!? Aaaaughg!!

Keep yer panyhose on everyone! :eek:

mmkelly011881
11-19-2004, 06:25 AM
woah woah woah there adam... just cus you're in the "industry" now doesnt mean you can RAWK THE SAUCE and post... calm down there buddy... calm down.... it's gonna be OK :)

agreenster
11-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey now! I was talking to myself too. I'm just as excited about AM as the next guy...

Especially since I'll live about .75 miles from the AM office... (step one: knife in --- step two: twist) :D

immerzeelpictures
11-19-2004, 12:41 PM
What are you waiting for then!?!!?

Go over there and push the 'SEND' button of Bobby's computer!

And nick all his KitKats for letting us wait.... :twisted:

daraand
11-19-2004, 02:21 PM
My god, it's like we're all waiting at a movie theater to see the first showing of something :P

vanlicht
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Uhmm....guys, is there going to be a riot?

traptinmyself113
11-19-2004, 04:25 PM
hmmmmm so you dont even need a high school diiploma, im still in high school and id love to join this. now how to make the money...?and also about how much is a traditional art school? thanks

poly-phobic
11-19-2004, 04:47 PM
maybe the guys @ AM were not ready for such an overwhelming respone...?

i hope i can sign up for the jan'05 classes,
this is on a first come first serve basis.
i also hope things are organized and well planned, otherwise there may be some conflicts.

swadepgh
11-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes where is this crazy newsletter anyway? This whole thing is a great idea. It fills a huge void in the animation arena for those of us who don't live near a world class animation school. I can't wait to learn more of the specifics.

In the meantime there is always the Space Opera Challenge. Now that I have finally found that elusive thing called "free time" I can actually start to work on that!

Mike Pauza
11-19-2004, 05:07 PM
AM can't be "too affordable" for students, or they can't afford to do it. :(

A 4 year degree at Art Institute of SF (with a room/closet) is something like $140,000. I'm "GUESSING" an AM course will be around $3,000. IMHO, that price level would probably be a bargain for serious students, and allow AM to make a profit...but that's more than I (and a lot of people) can afford.

Still, I'm waiting with the rest of you guys just in case my estimate is high. :)

-Mike Pauza

Bentagon
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
relax mate…..I'm just as eagerly waiting as is anyone else here on board. It was just a thought and no tricks intended.My comment wasn't meant like that... it was also sorta joke-like... difficult to express that on the net, though :D

BlaaaAAAAh! I'm going out of my mind of the waiting!

- Bentagon

monstersauce
11-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Okay, Bobby said the new newsletter would be out this week...

does this week end at midnight on Saturday??!! Having a finite time frame would really help out the jangly nerves : P

(nerves are jangly from checking my email far too often for the newsletter :D )

vizjac
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Okay, Bobby said the new newsletter would be out this week...

does this week end at midnight on Saturday??!! Having a finite time frame would really help out the jangly nerves : P

(nerves are jangly from checking my email far too often for the newsletter :D )
Yeah, I've been checkin' every two minutes. I need that newsletter so I can sleep at night and get some work done during the day.

clockwerkz
11-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Adam ---> .75 miles away from AM, and in the heart of the Animation Capitol.

cW ---> 3000 miles away, and drooling uncontrollably!

So when are you finally moving?? What are you waiting for, toss the wife/kids/pet on the car, load up a case of get-gone in the trunk, and get going!!

cW

vizjac
11-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Adam ---> .75 miles away from AM, and in the heart of the Animation Capitol.

cW ---> 3000 miles away, and drooling uncontrollably!

So when are you finally moving?? What are you waiting for, toss the wife/kids/pet on the car, load up a case of get-gone in the trunk, and get going!!

cW
I think most of us are drooling! Oh and thanks.

goertzen_frank
11-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Just curious I saw that "Next Education LLC" at the end of the trailor on the www.animantionmentor.com website - was this corporation setup as a result of Animation Mentor starting (obviously legal reasons for incorporating) or did this company exsist pre- animation mentors and they created this wonderful beast?

agreenster
11-19-2004, 11:42 PM

cW

Moving truck loads and leaves on Tuesday, and we fly out on Thanksgiving Day. :D

I'm gettin'

clockwerkz
11-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Moving truck loads and leaves on Tuesday, and we fly out on Thanksgiving Day. :D

I'm gettin'
:sniff: Our little boy's all grown up... :sniff:

lol.. congrats, have a safe one.

Hey question.. you sending your car and belongings by train or something? Was it horribly expensive?

cW

Bentagon
11-20-2004, 01:16 PM
If I'm not mistaking, shaba is paying your move to SanFran?
"were impressed enough to move me out to San Francisco!" > site

Once again, lots of luck in Animation Capitol ;)!

- Bentagon

alexandrecollac
11-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Where is the newsletter????????????????????????????????????????:argh:

mmkelly011881
11-20-2004, 07:16 PM
calm down fellas... december and january aren't comin any sooner no matter what we say :)

although i gotta say.. i just woke up from a nightmare where i checked cgtalk and found out that bobby said that all of the spots were full

Bentagon
11-20-2004, 09:19 PM
in that case, I'm glad I'm not you :D

but why I'm so eagerly awaiting this newsletter has nothing to do with the fact that inscriptions are in december, etc. It's that I have to know the price as soon as possible... Next year, it's time for college or university for me, so I really have to start thinking about where I go to, etc. That's why I really need to know if the price isn't too high for my family to afford.

- Bentagon

mmkelly011881
11-20-2004, 10:18 PM
ive been working overtime since i found out about this so i don't think im too worried about the price right now

animboom
11-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Hey folks. I just sent out the new newsletter issue #3. I hope this answers a lot of your questions in regards to pricing, mentors and other such "anticipated" news. Just wanted to give you a heads up. For some reason it does not send it all at once so it will get to you so give it some time. Thanks and I hope to see many of you soon in December!

-BOOM

Virum
11-21-2004, 05:44 AM
:'( Can I kiss you? ;)

Anyways, it's not here yet, but I can't wait for it.

animboom
11-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh, and welcome to the bay area Agreenster!

-BOOM

peanuckle
11-21-2004, 06:12 AM
It should be fun :) I really suck at animating...I really need to work on it.

Tanner

Mooncalf
11-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Hey Bobby,

How 'bout dat! I walk in my door, just getting home from seeing "The Incredibles" for the third time (sitting through the credits to see your name up there), and there's my e-mail icon, popping up and down. :)

Thanks again for putting together this incredible opporunity for all of us.

I'm super super excited that AMonline is going to have acting classes! I'll have to work my way up to those, of course, but it's great to know they'll be there waiting.

And I'm super super excited about everything else, and I imagine that most of the next 50 or so posts will echo that same enthusiasm, so I won't fanboy any longer for now. ;)

- M

keenasmustard
11-21-2004, 07:38 AM
OK, trying to stay calm... I'm sure it's just a technical glitch (sp?) my end... and Bobby did say something about them taking a while to come through... I just read these posts and checked my emails (both accounts) and I don't have it? :eek: :sad: :shrug: Anyone else have this problem and/or can someone help me out?

SheepFactory
11-21-2004, 07:47 AM
this totally rocks!

I am ready and waiting!

mikefeil
11-21-2004, 08:01 AM
and now the selling of myself and all of my possessions begins

keenasmustard
11-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Disregard my babble :D

Mooncalf
11-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Would someone pleaaasse forward me the newsletter? I think something's gone wrong with my email (self-inflicted... I'm in the middle of moving house).

joblogz@hotmai.com

Done. It's on its way to you. :)

keenasmustard
11-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks mate... you just saved my sanity!

Mooncalf
11-21-2004, 08:15 AM
That's what I do: I save sanity.

And postage stamps--I save postage stamps. But mostly sanity.

Phearielord
11-21-2004, 08:18 AM
who hoo!!
i got it!
...and i can actually afford it!!
rock on!!!

.....now, i just have to make sure i get in!!
*prepares for the mob rush*

Sniffet
11-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Baah, Ive just got a cramped finger due to three hours constant refreshing my mail. I think my F5 function key is starting give up on me :eek:

Seems like I'm one of those poor lads that got stuck in the typical "technical glitch".

Just saw Incredibles yesterday.. Wow.. Just incredible. It just grabbed the first spot on my favorite animated feature. I just hope the DVD is released soon enough so I can sit down and wear out yet another remote (they should make those next-frame buttons better)..

If anyone got the news letter and have the time. Feel free to forward it to me (thanx in advance)

/Regards Peter K - peppe@ligist.se

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Finally received the newsletter! It was a nightmare waiting for the news letter. Yet rightafter waking from from this bad dream, another horrible reality blocks the way awaiting--
8000USD+more for the tuition?

Wow man, that's a grand amount of money!! Even if i sold out all the possession, there's still big lack to fill up the tuition....... And not matter how hard I work overtime, there's no way making it up...simply because there's no so-called extra bonus in my comany! Shit.

FunBucket
11-21-2004, 10:02 AM
What!? $8k!? I guess I'm also experiencing technical difficulties. Can someone forward it? Gutterboxkid@yahoo.com

RayenD
11-21-2004, 10:16 AM
No newsletter here as well.
What is the price for one 3 months course? Just curious..

Virum
11-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Yarrr, the waiting is horrible.

Virum_Saberx@hotmail.com if anybody is kind enough to relieve this poor soul from waiting. ;)

clockwerkz
11-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey all,

I'm glad the newsletter came out. We can all breathe a sigh of release. Unfortunately, I didn't get it either. I'm sure it'll come up later, but in the meantime, maybe someone can forward it to me as well? I'm at finsc@bellsout.net. Thanks a lot guys.

cW

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 10:44 AM
YES! It is affordable!!

just some information for those without the newsletter:

6 classes, each of 12 sessions:
- Basic foundations
- The Principles of Body Mechanics
- Introduction to Acting
- Advanced Acting Techniques
- Short Film Development
- Short Film Production (number of sessions and price not announced)

price for each class (except the last one)
- Pace 1: US$2000
- Pace 2: US$2500

mentors:
- Charles Alleneck
- Carlos Baena
- Bobby "BOOM" Beck
- Mark Behm
- Mike Belzer
- Jeremy Cantor
- Rick O’Connor
- Doug Dooley
- Ike Feldman
- Derek Friesenborg
- Mike Gasaway
- Ethan Hurd
- Chris Hurtt
- Nancy Kato
- Shawn Kelly
- Greg Kyle
- Kevin Martel
- Gavin Moran
- Victor Navone
- Mark Pudleiner
- Keith Roberts
- Jason Ryan
- Delio Tramontozzi
- Jason Schleifer

registration date yet to be announced

- Bentagon

RayenD
11-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks Bentagon, the price seems to be ok. Not cheap, not expensive, just right where it should be.

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks Bentagon, the price seems to be ok. Not cheap, not expensive, just right where it should be. Well, or is it something related to Gross National Product (GNP) and even currency, which makes some think affordable in northern america or Europe, while makes some else feel quite unaffordable?

In my situation, what I earned is what I spent montly, and not in a luxurious way, as a CG artist here.
Well, I know, whining is useless. The programme sounds really cool, got to figure out some way to solve it anyway.....:sad:

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Mentors, I have a question, but it's so not about animation that I don't want to spoil the great question list on CGW (http://cgw.pennnet.com/extras/cgw/mentors/mentors.cfm#q2)

Will we be able to apply NOW, for the course that starts in December (**edit**woops, I mean october)?

btw, those short classes is a great idea, it might give me the chance not to pay another €1500 a year for "animation" class (notice the lack of character ;)) at college.

thank you for this great, wonderful, extraordinary, one-of-a-kind, superduper, wishfulfulling, fantastic, magnificent, life-altering, mind-blowing opportunity (and I could've gone on like this for hours, if only my english vocabulary was a wee bit better ;))

@vanlicht: I can see what you mean... it is very difficult for people in Asian countries to afford this, but the price seems very legit to me. I bet we'll all use a huge amount of bandwith, plus it takes a big amount of time for the Mentors, plus Bobby has to make a living, plus they had to create video's, plus they have to be sure the servers keep running, etc.

- Bentagon

super_mouse
11-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Could someone forward the e-mail too me, as i still have not received mine!!

LeeMouse84@aol.com

Cheers

super_mouse
11-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Could someone forward the email to me, as i have not received it yet!

LeeMouse84@aol.com

Cheers!

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
I didn´t got it:cry: WHY?????

My mail is not in their list anymore????

please someone send me the newsletter
alxandrecollaco@terra.com.br

oshiroii
11-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah k, I didn't get it :banghead: Can someone forward it? oshiroii@hotmail.com Thx :thumbsup:

Bentagon, the price is 2500 bucks for the 2 year pace? In total? NO way, that's sooooo cheap :D Gonna need a job I think :hmm:

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 12:56 PM
price for each class
;)

- Bentagon

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 12:59 PM
how long will last each class?? one month, two??

and what is this 12 sessions??

I NEED THE NEWSLETTER :argh: :cry: :banghead: :banghead:

RayenD
11-21-2004, 01:01 PM
EU citizens will probably have tio add 10-17% tax to it. If someone from AM could check iit would be very helpfull.

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 01:03 PM
pace one = 3 months/class
pace two = 6 months/class

Each class consists out of 12 video's with an assignement each, so these will take respectively 1 or 2 weeks to complete, considering which pace you chose. At least once a week, your mentor will analyse and criticize the work you've created during this week.

That's what I seem to remember.

@RayenD: what is this about tax? Isn't it just the regular internet payment?

- Bentagon

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 01:06 PM
n/a opps....if that's the case../.

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 01:08 PM
3 months per class in pace one?? if we have 6 classes we will have 18 months in pace 1, what is 6 months more than one year ( it was supose to be one year wasn´t it??)

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
vanlicht, I doubt they want the newsletter to be published on the internet... definitly because there's some newsletter subscriber specific information in there...

alex: yes, indeed, but since then, the shortfilm classes have been added in the list. It was announced in the beginning that they'd start with 4 classes, and add one or two in the years afterwards, but it seems they've speeded that up.

- Bentagon

RayenD
11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Yep, Bentagon, and this is the catch. Everytime I pay for something, like DVDs, games (pruchased HL2 recently from steam) what is provided by company outside EU, they charge me 17% tax.
Even when I pay for online services.

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't seem to remember having to pay any tax for ordering Animation: Master, or amazon books (although the latter were probably sent from the UK)

- Bentagon

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 01:12 PM
vanlicht, I doubt they want the newsletter to be published on the internet... definitly because there's some newsletter subscriber specific information in there...

- Bentagon woopss...if that's the case....then better not post on. Don't sue me, and don't drop me out please...

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 01:18 PM
I haven't gotten the newsletter. Could someone please forward it to: lhvio89@gmail.com ?

Thanks

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 01:22 PM
someone con send me the newsletter please, i need to print it and show it to my parents, they are going to pay for it, so i need to convince them.

my mail is alexandrecollaco@terra.com.br

tnx bentagon now i understand it, i think it is better this way. Oh my god these are going to be some great 18 months.
I´m going to buy tons of cofee and stay awake till the inscription day:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mikefeil
11-21-2004, 01:38 PM
forwarded to you alex and lhvio89 :) enjoy

oh and nice one to jason, for being picked or whateva ? as a mentor...mmmm sweet

oshiroii
11-21-2004, 01:42 PM
vanlicht, Thnx man got the newsletter! W00t, I'm gonna read :thumbsup:

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks isometrix....now, to just convince my parents...

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 01:48 PM
tnx a lot isometrix, something is happenig with me, i cant stop bounce :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Steve McRae
11-21-2004, 01:59 PM
who else has gotten this email? I have been on the list for a while now and I have not recieved it.

cheers,

mikefeil
11-21-2004, 02:08 PM
post ur emails, im happy to forward it

oshiroii
11-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Now the question is,

-pace 1 or 2? What do you guys think? Why would you choose 2 weeks? Do you get more guidence, more mentor meetings/chatting?
-Can mentors be added to msn :p
-Say, I turn out to be a good student, work hard, will you help me get into the industry?
-Do you have any connections or agreements with other companies, can you deliver students to a company, just like a real school. Do you have connections in other countries?Say I live in the Netherlands, and I do, will the companies here know of this great thing and this diploma?
-Will it be easier to start out in America (California !)
-anything new about the maya student verison?

Think I'll post this on other forums too.

Atomman, just drop the e-mail address, I'll send you it.

BarryRIT
11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Haven't received my newsletter yet either. If someone could forward it to me, that would be awesome. Thanks!

barrynardone@hotmail.com

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 02:15 PM
How will those of us who were on the mailing list, but did not receive the newsletter, be able to know when registration is (3 days early for newsletter subscribers)?

Thanks

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, i´m really worried about this, i didn´t got officially this newsletter (i´m one of the first guys that subscribe in this). if i have the same problem when you announce the subscription date,i will loose it .... NOOOOOOOO.

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Now the question is,

-pace 1 or 2? What do you guys think? Why would you choose 2 weeks? Do you get more guidence, more mentor meetings/chatting?
-Can mentors be added to msn :p
-Say, I turn out to be a good student, work hard, will you help me get into the industry?
-Do you have any connections or agreements with other companies, can you deliver students to a company, just like a real school. Do you have connections in other countries?Say I live in the Netherlands, and I do, will the companies here know of this great thing and this diploma?
-Will it be easier to start out in America (California !)
-anything new about the maya student verison?

Think I'll post this on other forums too.

Atomman, just drop the e-mail address, I'll send you it.I'll be picking pace2 for the first one, but if I find out that I learn things fast enough, I'll change to pace1 for the second class... if that seems to go too fast, I might change back, etc.

Of course mentors can be added on msn, but only if you get friends with them ;)

Knowing all these people will definitly be a help for getting into the industry. Definitly if you turn out to be really talented. Once again, if you got friends with one or more mentors, they might help you even more then by just knowing them.

This question has so much to do with the previous. They'll help you get hired by a company, and if this company is in Calofornia, you will probably get a visa to live there for a while, or even for as long as you want. If you want to go live there, without having already been hired, I doubt they will have any influence on how easy you can get there. That's all for the US/Californian governement.

Nothing new on the Maya license, but I feel it is quite clear. You can get the $500 or so academic version. I doubt they will get a better deal... Alias will just recognize AM Online as a legit school.

Can. Not. Wait.

- Bentagon

oshiroii
11-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Hmm, I dunno, the news letter said someting about a mail-server switch, which might be the problem.

1. We switched our mail server so if you've had any emails bounce back over the last couple weeks it should be all fixed now.

I too subscribed as one of the first, but didn't get it. I'm not too worried, I just subscribed again, just to be sure.

BarryRIT, forwarded the message to you :D

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't have problems, and I subscribed when this thread was still on the first page... or maybe second.

- Bentagon

Sniffet
11-21-2004, 02:34 PM
I will choose pace 2 since I need to make a living while Im studing.. I think pace 2 is definitly a good move for those who already are in the business but want to change focus. If I was 10 years younger and was living at home, pace1 would be better.

Well, Im very happy about the pricing. $2.500/class ($15.000 for all) is lower than what I expected.

The BIG question is.. How many students are allowed in each class?

/Regards Peter K * CGS

Agent Vesago
11-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Could someone send me me the newsletter? I haven't received it either.

Agent_Vesago3@yahoo.com

BarryRIT
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM

BarryRIT, forwarded the message to you :D Thanks dude! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Now, the question is, do I have the time and money to enroll. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
anyone remember the first and second page?? Jason Schleifer wanted to be a pupil, because the footage he saw made him drool and he wanted to keep learning... I guess he found a more profitable way in :D

@oshiroii: was checking out the earlier pages and look what I found... as quoted by Bobby BOoOoM Beck himself: Good one. ;) Our best students will definitely be making contacts and connections from AM. Also, there are other features that allow our students to have their work seen by recruiters from the industry. You'll understand this more when you see the site. ;)

Hard work, practice and a good attitue will ensure that any person goes far.

-BOOOM
- Bentagon

super_mouse
11-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey sorry, i posted the wrong email address before. Could someone forward the email to

lee_mouseuk@hotmail.com

cheers

Does anyone know how many places there actually are?

mjSoft
11-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone! :)

I´m also having trouble with this newsletter. I´ve recived the two first ones, but I guess this one got lost. Can somebody please be kind to forward it to me. I would really appreciate it.

Tnx :thumbsup:
Martin

martin@jilsmark.com

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Do you all think that a highschool student would be allowed to take this course?

barclan
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

Please, can anyone send the newsletter to me too?. I didn't receive it this time either.
Thanks a lot.
postok2004@yahoo.com

dimension10
11-21-2004, 03:03 PM
$2500 a class. That really is a perfect price. Not cheap, but not over the top. affordable enough so that all serious animators can take the classes, but expensive enough so that people that are slightly interested won't bother to apply.

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Super_mouse, barcian and mjsoft, i sent it to you.

Sniffet - nobody knows how many are going to be allowed, i think something close to 10 per mentor, this makes 200 studants per class, but i´m just supposing it, don´t know the real truth.

lhvio89 (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=124153) vbmenu_register("postmenu_1749263", true); - everyone is allowed to apply, you don´t need to have a previous knowledge to get in.

mjSoft
11-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Got it!! :thumbsup:

Tnx!!!

barclan
11-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks Alexandrecollac, I'm reading it now.

anex700
11-21-2004, 03:31 PM
hey guys...

If you don't mind could you please e-mail the 2nd and 3rd one to me. I received the first one but for some reason didn't get the 2nd or 3rd :shrug:

starved_artist55@hotmail.com

THANK YOU!:D

--dinky--

lindow
11-21-2004, 03:49 PM
could someone please forward the latest newsletter to me? i'm chewing off my nails waiting for it. thanks

jamatthews@eastlink.ca

-Jeremy

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 04:00 PM
I´m uploading the 3rd newsletter for the ones that didn´t got it.

It dóesn´t have a good bandwitch, but think it will help
http://paginas.terra.com.br/arte/portifolo/animationMentor_com_newsletter_issue3.html (http://paginas.terra.com.br/arte/portifolo/imagens/Exercise01.mov)

see ya,
Alexandre Collaço

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 04:04 PM
wol i forgot to ask for permission to post this.

Bobby Beck, if you guys have some problem with me posting this link here, just let me know this way i can delete this link.

sorry

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Personally, I would wait with uploading it until you get confirmation that you are allowed to do it... I don't know how much AM Online wants to keep this info to the subscribers, since some info is subscriber specific, soI guess that would be safest.

**edit**could anyone e-mail me the first newsletter? I accidentally deleted it, but would like to read all newsletters again :)
benjamin_DOT_ds_AT_gmail_DOT_com

- Bentagon

animboom
11-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Hey guys. First off thanks alexandercollac for posting the newsletter up. That is super fine. The next newsletter will be the one that should NOT be posted to the general public. Thanks.

I'm looking into why so many people did not get the newsletter. We DO have everyone's emails on file but the newsletter group we switched to needs some looking into. This is a biggie. For that reason I will most likely be sending the newsletter out again next week just to make sure people get it. There are A LOT of people on the newsletter list so this might have something to do with it.

After issue number 4 of the newsletter the newsletter will be disbanded and people will have to "resign" up for it again when the site launches. This will help us to "weed" out people who really want in to the school. (Do worry, all of those on the current newsletter list will receive the next one which will have registration date and activation code to get into the site). :)

Thanks again for your support and patience. I'll be looking into the "newsletter" hold up problem next week, so beware that there may be a duplicate issue coming soon. Thanks.

-BOOM

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info, Bobby!

There are A LOT of people on the newsletter list so this might have something to do with it. May we ask: how many? Approximatly? I am always wondering how big this really is...

- Bentagon

raffael3d
11-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I am worried about this system if it really works, if so many people didn't get the newsletter. I got the first two but not this one.

kungfudork
11-21-2004, 04:31 PM
i didn't get the latest newsletter either. i really want to make it into this first session, and i know i'll need the 3 day advance before it goes to the public. does anyone know why some of us haven't recieved it, but did recieve the first 2?

please don't forget me!:D

-d

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 04:35 PM
They are having some tecnical problem with the mails, but they will send this newsletter back in the newt week, this way you can find out if your mail is there or not

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Hehe, alexandre... I see you're keeping track of this thread as much as me :D
F5 is my new best friend... that and the MSN new mail message in the bottomright corner of my screen :)

- Bentagon

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Bentagon - since i got the first newsletter from AM Online my mail is configured to check each 3 minutes. hehehe, i can´t loose this opportunity:thumbsup:

RayenD
11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I've got a couple of questions:

During 6 months class:

How many hours of direct interactiion with my mentor I'd be entitled for (in one session, 2 weeks). By direct interaction I mean his or her video/critique personalized for me,personal chat, etc..
Can I choose mentor or is it random?
Can I stay with the same mentor for all classes (if he or she is avaliable)
What if I don't want to pay by credit card? Direct wire or any other method?
Can you send me printed receipt after I pay?
Do you know anything about Euriopean Union tax - will EU citizens have to pay it or not? It adds around $500 on top, for 6 months class price.

NatXotic
11-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Wow, this thread got huge and it seems animationmentor is finaly about to start.
So just to get this straight. I was rushing through the last 50 posts.

The complete course is 2k for Pace1 (which will last a year) and 2.5k for Pace2 (which will last 2 years)?
The course consists of 6 classes each with 12 lessons and each lesson around 30-45 minutes?

When do we have to sign up, if we are interested? And how many classes will be held per year?

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 05:10 PM
NatXotic....The course (including level A, B, C, D) is $8000 at pace 1 and $10000 at Pace 2. This is not including the last two parts which are the Short Film develepment and production , which prices and session lengths have not been decided.

Sniffet
11-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but a "Class" is $2.000 for pace1, and $2.500 for pace2.

Each Class is either 3 or 6 months depending on pace. So for the first four classes its either $8.000 (one year) or $10.000 (two years).

/Regards Peter K

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I believe you are correct Sniffet.

titaniumdave
11-21-2004, 05:14 PM
I didn't get the newsletter. :sad: Can someone forward a copy to animateddave@gmail.com please?

FUG1T1VE
11-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I had the weirdest day today. I had a dream I was sittting in a classroom with animation mentor students. in the dream we were are sitting down talking about how cool it was that it was about to start, we knew the prices and all this stuff.
Sorry just had to post that, since when I cheked my email 4 hours laters I saw the newsletter. Exciting times since the first time I saw the promo video.

alexandrecollac
11-21-2004, 05:26 PM
titaniumdave- i posted a link to the newsletter one or two pages ago, take a look.

jschleifer
11-21-2004, 05:34 PM
anyone remember the first and second page?? Jason Schleifer wanted to be a pupil, because the footage he saw made him drool and he wanted to keep learning... I guess he found a more profitable way in :D
lol!

I can't wait for this to start up.. I'm really excited and honored to be a part of it! should be super exciting! :)

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 05:44 PM
lol!

I can't wait for this to start up.. I'm really excited and honored to be a part of it! should be super exciting! :) Yeah, Jason you deserved the seat as a mentor indeed. It's great also to have you as one of our mentors....saying in a way as if I am already in, ha ha!

There's a tradiontal Taiwanese saying " Don't eat too fast else the bowl (for rise ) might drop and fall apart." Guess I have to focus on financial support before day dreaming too much.

agreenster
11-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Sweet stuff Bobby-

So there will be a re-signup period every 3 months? Somehow I get the sinking feeling January is going to fill up rather quickly...which is a good thing ;)

Rock n roll

animboom
11-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey folks. Just to clarify. The newsletter is really a separate thing from the whole AnimationMentor.com experience. We have built AnimationMentor.com from scratch so all the features in AM Online are internal to the school experience.

The website itself is being programmed by some VERY talented folks at Theory7.com and the newsletter is largely being run by myself. :) This, plus the fact that we have so many people on the list is the reason the letter is taking so long to get to you. I'm looking into the newsletter issue as I type so please hang tight.

Once a student of AnimationMentor.com newsletters and updates are all internal to the whole school system so problems like this have been being worked out over the last 2 years and are extremely solid. Just a heads up on those that may be worried about this issue. Thanks.

Ps. Yo, Schleifer the pleasure is all ours. You're one amazingly talented guy and SUPER humbled. We're very honored to have you be a part of the whole thing.

-BOOM

animboom
11-21-2004, 06:42 PM
How many hours of direct interactiion with my mentor I'd be entitled for (in one session, 2 weeks). By direct interaction I mean his or her video/critique personalized for me,personal chat, etc.. This will be very detailed in the Catalog.

Can I choose mentor or is it random? You can not choose your mentor. We feel that all of our mentors are 100% solid.

Can I stay with the same mentor for all classes (if he or she is avaliable) You may have the same mentor more than one time over the course of your AnimationMentor.com schooling. However, having one dedicated mentor per "level" will yield the best results, and having a variety of mentors over the course of your schooling will yield the best results for making contacts and learning from several people. We designed AnimationMentor.com very specifically for YOU as the students to get the most out of it.

What if I don't want to pay by credit card? Direct wire or any other method? We will only be accepting major credit cards on the outset. In time we will add where we feel necessary.

Can you send me printed receipt after I pay?
This will be on your monthly credit card statement.

Do you know anything about Euriopean Union tax - will EU citizens have to pay it or not? It adds around $500 on top, for 6 months class price. This and other tax related issues will be explained in the catalog. Thanks for your concerns.

-BOOOM

vanlicht
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Aniboom thanks for the clearance. I believe it's going to a big sucess and definitely a solid plateform for sharing the knowledge as well as experience.
One litte puzzle troubled me though, when the registration date start....will it start in Bay time, or standartd GMT time + or - some hours and minutes....
So afraid that when the seat are already fulled but some of others are still in sleep and didn't know that at all!

animboom
11-21-2004, 07:00 PM
http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/AMonlineNewsletter_3.html

a little too late but here's the official one.

-BOOM

animboom
11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Registration will be mailed out before the actual reg date. We won't annouce it and then just open the doors. We'll allow a little room for the news to sink in. Registration will be on Pacific Standard Time.

-BOOM

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey bobby, I just noticed your signature says you're the co-founder of "animatORmentor.com" ;)

- Bentagon

PS: check your PM's

lhvio89
11-21-2004, 07:17 PM
I am sure this question has been answered before, but it is hard to go through 81 pages to find a specific post. So, sorry if this has already been asked (well, actually 2 questions.)

First:

If the slots fill up too quickly to register for the January class, is it possible to "pre-register" (pre-pay) for the next class starting in April?

Second:

Is it possible to say take the Level A class, then after completing that, sign up for Level B later (like skip a 3 month session) and still be automatically placed in Level B?

Thanks!

RobW720
11-21-2004, 07:27 PM
hey. havn't gotten it yet, figure ill jump on the "could someone please forward it to me" bandwagon :-D

wilson_arts4614@yahoo.com

thanks a bunch to whoever sends it my way :-D

Bentagon
11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
both alexandrecollaco and bobby beck have uploaded it already :)

http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/AMonlineNewsletter_3.html

- Bentagon

RayenD
11-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Thank you Bobby. Things are getting serious (hahah).. that's why I am asking about that boring financial stuff..
I hope you include payment deadline in the catalog, in some countries you can deduct such kind of payments (education) from taxes and now we are at the end of the year....

I am also interested in pre-registering for April '05 enrollment - hope there will be a way to do it.
Thanks again and good luck with everything.

RobW720
11-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Ah, i see. thanks. no need for the e-mail.

hmm... 8 grand.... i could just throw that on top of my loans i am taking out for school right now.

so hey, what do you guys think? I graduate from my school next september. should i wait till im done there before starting animationmentor?

(keep in mind i have to get my demo, portfolio and all my ducks in a row before i graduate) would doing animation mentor on top of all of that be a bad idea? too much to handle? should i wait?!?!

mayakindaguy
11-21-2004, 08:51 PM
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

Haven't seen one of these on the board for a while and just wanted to express my joy and glee. Hope everyone has a happy holidays and that we can all get into aminninjamentor.

Btw who animated these smileys. Though it's limited animation the expressions aren't half bad.

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/buttrock.gif http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/love.gifhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

The above is the sequence of emotions felt when reading the newsletter.

Jozvex
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Wow!

It works out at about $2550 AUD for me for Pace 1 which isn't that bad at all!! I'll have to save up for each class, but hey it's good to have goals hehe.

Thanks guys! And I hope you can get the diploma certified!!

:thumbsup:

clockwerkz
11-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Ok so 6 classes consisting of 12 sessions each, at a price tag of 2000 per class. Awesome. Good price range. I remember someone mentioning that if you do session 1, it would take about a year. So I wonder how the classes are timed to make the year?

Anyhow, I can't wait for registration. And I can't wait for the newsletter as well.. I'm sure there's more info aside from the price range.

If anyone is feeling generous.. I'll tkae a copy of that newsletter still. :-)
[nevermind.. thanks Jovex, for getting it out to me. Much appreciated]

cW

mayakindaguy
11-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey clockwerkz,

Bobby and Bentagon have the newsletter linked int the above posts on this page.
I'll save u trouble of scrolling up =)

http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/AMonlineNewsletter_3.html#2Reg

Regarding the classes being fit into 1 year: I think originally it was an A,B,C, and D course for that one year and then there was talk of an additional 2 courses for getting you ready for a short and production like work.

Originally the 2 extra courses were optional and thus core classes would fit in one year being 3 months each if you're going the weekly route.

So, it seems like with the extra two classes for the short it will take longer than a year, and I'm not sure if it is optional still. However, I think those last two courses are pivotal and essentiall, imo, to the whole experience.

I think that this is right, however, if I'm totally of the mark someone correct me, please.

titaniumdave
11-21-2004, 10:26 PM
titaniumdave- i posted a link to the newsletter one or two pages ago, take a look.
Ahh thanks for the link, I jump right over to my mail after seeing people talk about the newsletter and missed your post. :blush:

clockwerkz
11-21-2004, 10:39 PM
3 days to sign up before the general public. It's not the general public I'm worried about, it's the cgtalk public!! Hehehehe. Well, I really hope I can make it in to the January class. I'm shooting for it. But I guess if worse comes to worse, it will be quarterly so that's really cool. I am sooooo psyched for this.

cW

andy_maxman
11-22-2004, 05:24 AM
sunday being off, i was cut off from the net..
i was stumped when i came back this monday morning to realise that the last 36 hours has seen this thread shoot up by almost 6-7 pages....

it looks like it's going to be an expensive affair for an average middle-class guy from India. if only my company is willing to sponsor me outta this.....my prayers are going upwards really hard now...

amen!!!

FunBucket
11-22-2004, 06:44 AM
So I'm assuming that everyone's happy with the pricing? Personally, I was hoping the WHOLE thing would be around $2k, not per course. Regardless, I definitely won't be able to come up with the money in time. Kinda depressed now! :sad:

SheepFactory
11-22-2004, 07:16 AM
If you are upset about the pricing , try taking a course at a art college instead and compare.

academy of art:

1 class = 1500$

Lab fees = 500$

total:2000$

--

and thats just one class , seeing you take 4 as a international student , thats 8000$ a semester , and academy of art is cheaper than most art schools.

Animation mentor definitely is NOT on a high price range. they need to get paid too you know.

andy_maxman
11-22-2004, 08:56 AM
would there be any sort of consideration with respect to the pricing considering the difference in cost-of-living in various parts of the world.....?

something reasonable to someone somewhere might be out of reach for someone elsewhere.....

like someone said - ' one man's misery is another man's song '

i really hope that prices can be subsidised to make things more affordable.
cheers!
andy

bentllama
11-22-2004, 09:22 AM
would there be any sort of consideration with respect to the pricing considering the difference in cost-of-living in various parts of the world.....?

something reasonable to someone somewhere might be out of reach for someone elsewhere.....

like someone said - ' one man's misery is another man's song '

i really hope that prices can be subsidised to make things more affordable.
cheers!
andy
i seriously doubt that happening...international students pay more to study in the US at every college...so I do not see that happening...

Rabid pitbull
11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
:bounce:

This is gonna be great! Now if I finally get the newsletter will it describe the enrollment dates?? I sure hope it isn't announced in a newsletter at time of enrollment.

keenasmustard
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Wow oh wow. I'm in the humongous (sp?) process of moving house from Australia to USA at the moment (leaving on Sunday!! :bounce: ), and needless to say it's a rather busy time. I've still remained glued to this and the animationstudents website.. and lo and behold: the newsletter has been released! Thanks to Mooncalf, who forwarded me a copy, I was able to print it out and speed read with excitement inbetween all of my packing and running around. It's 130am here, and even though I've got removalists arriving at 830am, and I've still got HEAPS more to pack, I HAD to duck in and see everyone's reaction to the newsletter release...

FOUR pages of excited chatter has gone on in here in about 24 hours!!! Un-bleeping-believable. I do think the prices AM has come up with are very reasonable. Bravo! I do empathise with smaller countries- it does suck that it effectively makes it very out of reach with differing economies. Australia's somewhere in the middle. (but we're climbing rapidly- go the Aussie Dollar!! Are any other Aussies out there paying attention to the climbing dollar and rubbing their hands together 'coz we might actually be able to afford this?)

Anyway, it's great to see so many people so excited about this... I know I am! :bounce:

crazy3dman
11-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I still have not received newsletter #3. Are there others out there who also have not received it?

I was able to read it via the link posted here (thanks Alexandre), but I'd really like to know that I'm still on the mailing list in order to get the advance registration notice.

mojodesign
11-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I haven't either...I hear ya crazy3dman, I hope I'm still on their mailing list. I'm starting to worry too.

-jose

itamar3D
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I still not received newsletter too. who knows to say when goes to leave the list the candidates? Boom Beck why i'm not received the newsletter #2 and #3 ?
I only received the #1 ???

Thanx

super_mouse
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Yeh I haven't received the e-mail yet either! I signed up when the newsletter first started, I'm hoping i'm still on the list.
I'd hate to miss the email that tells us the registration date!!!

keenasmustard
11-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm in the same boat too. I've got a couple of suggestions:

Is it possible for AM to send a brief text only email to subscription holders, so that we all know pre-registration-date-announcement, whether or not we are still subscribed?? (Excuse my ignorance on how servers etc work, but is it the size of the newsletter file that causes the glitches/clogging up of emails?) Is it possible that people, in their panic that they are not registered, have re-registered several times, therefore creating even MORE back up of emails?

2nd suggestion: I've noticed that lots of people are finding the terms "classes" and "sessions" confusing. (I know I am.) I'm not sure if it's a difference in international terminology, but would it clarify things a bit if you called your "classes"... "subjects", and "sessions"... "classes"? For example: "Subject 1: Basic Foundations (12 classes)"

Please don't jump down my throat. I have a feeling this is a difference in international terminology, but I'm finding myself thinking the alternative way, to help it make sense. Am I the only one who's found this a bit confusing?

I would like to also highlight a point someone raised earlier about us not having an accurate idea of how many people are going to be accepted at one time and how many people are subscribed. I personally would like to enter in the second group through. Is the demand that high, that I should still enrol with the first group and be put on a waiting list? What are the plans in this regard? Will the second intake be reopened as first in best dressed? Or will there already be a queue that we have to join?

oshiroii
11-22-2004, 03:48 PM
:O you're moving, good for you!

I think they mean this
Subject: What's the course about, just like a subject in a sentence. (what's it about)
Course: the actuall course, the whole thing
Class: the actuall lessons (1 per week or 1 per 2 weeks)

So there are six courses, course 1 lasts 12 classes, the subject of this course will be the foundation of animation. This means you can have 1 assignment every week, concluding in a course of 3 month, or you can do 1 assignment every 2 weeks, leading to a course of 6 months.

Say you pick the first one, you'll have 12 classes about the foundation of animation, if you finishe the classes, you've finished the course and you can go on to the second course.

Bentagon
11-22-2004, 03:49 PM
You're right about the terminology, keenasmustard, but if you've read the previous newsletters, everything's pretty obvious.
I doubt he's going to mail for the registration date, because every subscriber gets a key code to enter the site and registre him or herself.

Jeroen, now you're confusing everybody ;)
just to be clear:
Class: a certain course about for example the basics of animation (Class A)
Session: one of the 12 segments of this course. Each will have a video and assignement.

- Bentagon

PS: could anyone e-mail me Newsletter #1?? benjamin_DOT_ds_AT_gmail_DOT_com

alexandrecollac
11-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Bobby Boom Animation mentor ninja told us that they will send the newsletter again this week, so if you didn´t got it this week try to subscribe again.

I have the same problem, didn´t receive it officially, hope my mail is till there.

I would like to see different prices for different places, like here in my country i will have to pay 3 times more :sad: because of the difference between US dollar and the local money. I´ll have a tough work trying to convince my parents.

keenasmustard
11-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Bentagon: I've sent you Issue #1. Hopefully I got your email right! :)

mike33
11-22-2004, 04:43 PM
With all due respect to the Animation Mentor team, for those who can't afford this
type of schooling there are alternatives.

There is a wide range of web pages such as www.AWN.com which has lots of info on animation. Along with books like the following:

3D Short Film Production
The Illusion of Life
The Animators Survival Kit
Acting for Animators

etc, etc.

Not to mention studying Disney, Pixar, Looney toons and other animated films.

I'm sure a lot of folks out there got their jobs because they did the same studying, practice, and work at home that AM is offering.

Yes, you will miss the Mentors and maybe some of the connections but if you
become a good animator, people will notice.

For those of us who can't afford AM we face the same basic issue.
"3D Short Film Production" By Jeremy Cantor and Pepe Valencia puts the
right question at the beginning of their book. Are we willing to make
the sacrifices needed to become an animator?

Don't let the cost of Animation Mentor stop you, there are lots of resources out
there, the most important one is you and what you decide to do.

That ends my Pep talk. I can't afford AM either, and I have to decide at the ripe
age of 38 if I can truly commit to my own 3d short at home... I have a nack
of starting projects but lots of trouble finishing.

Good luck to the new students at AM, and to those like myself who can't afford it.

Cheers,

Mike

crazy3dman
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Well said Mike.

Slurry
11-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I finally took some time to have a cup of Jo and read through the newsletter. Congrats to Bobby and others who are involved in this (ad) venture. It looks very promising.

I can't afford it either but the tuition per class looks fairly reasonable. Hopefully I'll be in a better financial situation in the future and will have the time/money and opportunity to take part.

Good luck to all those who get in. I look forward to hearing how the first few classes go!

All the best,

Art

ps - I second what Mike said. For those who can't afford AM or don't get accepted - keep at it. There are other resources and no excuses!! Keep animating!

vanlicht
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Mike,
thanks for the information. I also recommend that website, mounts of resource.

Your words are very congent as well, and propelled me to rethink again about the whole issue. Why does AM have such deadly-appeal to me; if I am ready for it not only finanacially but mentally; do I really have that determination and stamina that makes it profitable instead of another gamble and waste the beatiful intent from me as well as AM; if can't afford it why desperateness would overwhelm?

Have eyes but can't see, not till blinded could King Lear perceive things more clearly. I guess I am kind of like that....thanks for the reminding!!

Comaring to 38, I guees my affliction of 27 seems relatively like itch- at- the- back. But my non-art background hampered my way to my passion and though finally I earned then chance to work in computer graphic field, yet apparently that's not enoguh!  So, though I don't know much of you, but I believe there must be a great impulse pushing you toward such critical decision. Just hang on, I am convinced your determination and support of your friends/family will lead you toward success.

Phearielord
11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
seems like they just mailed out the newsletter again, so for you guys who didn't receive it the first time, check your mail!! :)

vizjac
11-22-2004, 06:03 PM
seems like they just mailed out the newsletter again, so for you guys who didn't receive it the first time, check your mail!! :)
I got Newsletter #2 But I did not get Newletter #3 (1st or 2nd emailing). BOBBY HELP ME I DO NOT WANT TO MISS #4!!

Thanks to everyone for keeping us, who are not getting the emails, informed.

Also congrats to all at AM, I will sell a body part so that I can attend, if I have to.

RayenD
11-22-2004, 06:11 PM
I am a little worry that EU citiznes will have to pay VAT on top of the price, unless AM finacial staff will find other way. I just checked EU comission regulations and distance teaching is affected by this rule, unfotunately. Just need to wait for the catalog to confirm/deny it.

lhvio89
11-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Did you just mail out the newsletter again? I just got it...glad to know that I am actually on the mailing list...

So, I guess if you haven't gotten it yet, check your mail.

alexandrecollac
11-22-2004, 07:36 PM
didn´t got it:sad:

vizjac
11-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Is there any kind of Demo reel or anything needed to be accepted?

Mooncalf
11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Is there any kind of Demo reel or anything needed to be accepted?

As far as I know, registration is being handled on a first come/first serve basis. The pihilosophy of Animation Mentor's founders, I believe, is that ANYONE can be an animator. It doesn't matter what experience you've had before, what matters is how much of yourself you put into it.

So, no demo reels. Just have a positive attitude, a drive to be the best you can be, and a passion for animation. :)

- M

vizjac
11-22-2004, 08:05 PM
As far as I know, registration is being handled on a first come/first serve basis. The pihilosophy of Animation Mentor's founders, I believe, is that ANYONE can be an animator. It doesn't matter what experience you've had before, what matters is how much of yourself you put into it.

So, no demo reels. Just have a positive attitude, a drive to be the best you can be, and a passion for animation. :)

- M
Rock on! Thanks Mooncalf

FunBucket
11-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I still haven't gotten the newsletter "officially" either. Someone forwarded it to me though (THANKS!)

Also, for those who can't afford it, you can also try out acmeanimation.org. Seems pretty cool!

Smartypants
11-22-2004, 08:30 PM
two questions:

1. I see that there are different class levels. I'd like to start at the "Introduction to Acting" level. Can I just choose to enter at that level, or do I have to go through every level of classes?

2. I haven't gotten the 3rd newsletter. I DO NOT WANT TO MISS REGISTRATION! I want to make sure the next newsletter gets to me on time. How can I ensure that I don't miss the next newsletter?

Thanks!

PixelTales
11-22-2004, 08:39 PM
:bounce: :love::bounce::buttrock:I can't wait for signups to roll around. This most recent newsletter has made me even more excited than before. The suspense is really building. I only hope I can be one of the lucky ones to get in first. A round of applause goes to Bobby, Shawn, Carlos, the mentors, and all else who are involved for putting this amazing opportunity together. :applause::thumbsup::applause:

I had one question reguarding the Short Film section of the classes. Does anyone know what they have planned for the Production side of it? Will we be expected to already know how to model and rig our characters for the short, or will this instruction be included? Some of us, myself included, have very little or no experience with modeling/rigging and this type of instruction would be vital in this case. Or, is the plan that we will be using the provided AM characters for the short? I know that modeling/rigging is not a part of the previous classes, but I wasn't sure if it came into play here. I read the class description thoroughly (sp?) and it didn't seem to make mention of this. Either way it looks like one amazing program, and I can't wait to be a part of it. Wether it be during the first round or one of the following rounds.

Mojo Rizen
11-22-2004, 09:04 PM
No news letter on my end yet. It does come to my work account, and I’m done for the day so here is hoping there is something in my inbox tomorrow.

mr_wowtrousers
11-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Interesting. Very interesting. I was a bit flabbergasted at the prices initially, but upon reflection they seem reasonable given the content and the teachers. Short courses in Maya/Max/whatever go for like $8,000 here in Australia, so about $10,000 for a solid years worth of courses seems quite reasonable, especially as you only pay by module and if you run out of cash you can stop.

I just got into my "proper" course here in Australia, so that will be my main focus, but was looking to supplement that with AM as it focuses much more on animation. Given that they said they will be doing quarterly intakes, I might wait and see how my financial situation pans out. My course proper is very good in terms of payment plans, so even though I have the cash, I might be able to pay it off piecemeal while working and use my cash to pay for AM . . .

EDIT: I am not sure about the being charge $500 more for each course to do it in twice the time. Does this take more effort/resources? For the four main courses that is another $2000, for which you could do one of the film-making courses . . .