PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40

N1Prime
08-26-2009, 07:35 AM
So how far into the course are you now? going well I hope.

I can't wait to get started. I haven't had anything to really focus on for some time.

jayweb1
08-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Here is a little gem I found awhile back. It was written by Walt Stanchfield and gives a great overview of gesture drawings. It really shows that the heart of movement is in quick gesture drawings/thumbs.

Enjoy!

http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf

VrodRick
08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info! Yeah, it sounds really basic, glad to know that it's on the extreme side! Rather save $500 and put it towards some nice Gnoman vids

Hey VrodRick, the Maya Springboard class is EXTREMELY basic. Emphasis on the EXTREME part. If you have never touched maya, it might be worth a look. Otherwise, you're probably wasting your time and money.

Introduction to Maya 2009 by digital tutors is money better spent in my opinion.

Sapphire
08-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

Any idea what will be the price of maya 2010 for students who join Animation Mentor Course?

Thanks.

RobertLavigne
08-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Maya 2010 for students will preobably be about the same or less then mayay 09 unlimited, which was $400. I don't know this for sure but maya 09 unlimited was about $4000 and maya 2010 which is basically the equivalent of the unlimited retails for $3700. So if it's more then $400 i'd be surprised.

VrodRick
08-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Maya 2010 for students will preobably be about the same or less then mayay 09 unlimited, which was $400. I don't know this for sure but maya 09 unlimited was about $4000 and maya 2010 which is basically the equivalent of the unlimited retails for $3700. So if it's more then $400 i'd be surprised.

Hey Robert,
Just noticed you're north of me (well 500 miles..but still)...i'm down here in Bellingham, WA!

Redspective
08-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey Robert,
Just noticed you're north of me (well 500 miles..but still)...i'm down here in Bellingham, WA!

Yeah!!! Bellis Fair FTW!!! :) I'm just a hop skip away from you Vrod... Langley, BC

N1Prime
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Here is a little gem I found awhile back. It was written by Walt Stanchfield and gives a great overview of gesture drawings. It really shows that the heart of movement is in quick gesture drawings/thumbs.

Enjoy!

http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf

Hey Jamie, Thanks for this. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but as soon as I get home from work I will. Cheers.

Also during the coffee talk with Victoria she mentioned that fall students will still be using Maya 2009. I don't know if 2010 is radically different.

RobertLavigne
08-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Good to know theres some fellow BC'ers in AM.

I'm sure the animation tools of 09 will be just fine. if you are wondering whats different about maya 2010 checkout
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13583239#channels_What%27s%20New

N1Prime
08-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Good to know theres some fellow BC'ers in AM.

I'm sure the animation tools of 09 will be just fine. if you are wondering whats different about maya 2010 checkout
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13583239#channels_What%27s%20New

Thanks man, it all looks very technical. I'm sure i'll have a better understanding of what all the gadgets do after I do the springboard.

I think we have orientation in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to bury my head in the tutorials so I know what im going on about :).

I was able to self learn sound recording software (cubase/reason) so fingers crossed this should be doable as well.

Sapphire
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Robert

were they using maya unlimited, I thoutgh they were using maya complete.

VrodRick
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Sweet dude! yeah, haven't been up to langley in a while, crap, haven't been up to BC for a year I think...van is always an awesome place to hang out in!

Yeah!!! Bellis Fair FTW!!! :) I'm just a hop skip away from you Vrod... Langley, BC

Redspective
08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah Van is pretty cool, cept there's SOOOOOO much 2010 olympic construction going on. I had to drive downtown this afternoon and omg was the traffic awful. Anyways It would be cool to find out how many of us are in the pacific northwest and would be interested in a meet even :beer: God knows after the late nights we'll be enduring, we could use a few cold ones :bounce:

CGirl
08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Fall students...school starts one month from today!! Woooooohooo!

Redspective
08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Yay!!! I can't wait to get our logins! Shame we can't log into the system over at AM already. I'd kill to play with the cute little ball with the tail :bounce:

pstrick30
08-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Major Animation Mentor fan here too! So questions...i know it's probably been answered already in this incredibly longgggg thread but how long did it take to hear back from AM? i know it says about a couple weeks...but really!! i'm dying here lol, there a chance I'll here back sooner???

OH and how big of a part do you think the wonderlic test plays on your application? I mean i know i did good on it, probably not great but yeahhh...

Oh anndd i would love to hear about some of you who have graduated from AM and how it's helped you as an animator and helped with job placements:) coolio, thanks for the help!

Romanthony
08-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Any fellow Winter students here? :wavey:

RobertLavigne
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm in for the winter session.

Redspective
08-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Just thought I'd pass some savings along, but there's a bunch of places online selling books at some great deals. Red Flag Deals (http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/comments/back_to_school_buy_your_textbooks_online/)

I just picked up the Muybridge series, a couple Stanislavski acting books, and for personal self indulgence I grabbed Draw the Looney Tunes: The Warner Brothers Character Design Manual (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/images/0811850161/ref=dp_otherviews_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&img=5)

And now I think I'll stop shopping before I spend more time reading and drawing then animating :)

VrodRick
08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I hear that! Yeah, haven't been up to Van for a few years, definitely an amazing city. I know even down here they're prepping big time for the olympics...opened up some big police disaster response HQ in Blaine I think.

Yeah, getting together for some :beer: sounds good!

Yeah Van is pretty cool, cept there's SOOOOOO much 2010 olympic construction going on. I had to drive downtown this afternoon and omg was the traffic awful. Anyways It would be cool to find out how many of us are in the pacific northwest and would be interested in a meet even :beer: God knows after the late nights we'll be enduring, we could use a few cold ones :bounce:

VrodRick
08-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Major Animation Mentor fan here too! So questions...i know it's probably been answered already in this incredibly longgggg thread but how long did it take to hear back from AM? i know it says about a couple weeks...but really!! i'm dying here lol, there a chance I'll here back sooner???

OH and how big of a part do you think the wonderlic test plays on your application? I mean i know i did good on it, probably not great but yeahhh...

Oh anndd i would love to hear about some of you who have graduated from AM and how it's helped you as an animator and helped with job placements:) coolio, thanks for the help!

I heard back pretty quick after I filled in my app...I think maybe a week or so. Then after taking the wonderlic test I think I heard from them in a few more days after that...overall really quick process.

Now I'm just waiting to get access to their online community..that's going to be great!

RobertLavigne
08-29-2009, 07:35 PM
When I talked with Victoria on the phone she said that the wonderlic test is more of a formality. It's there because it's an online school and people apply from all over the world, they need to make sure that everyone speaks English and isn't a 10 year old trying to sneak in. She said most of the weight is on the essay part of the application.

I heard back in about 8ish days. They are also pretty swamped right now with all the last minute fall applications so it might take a bit.

fleco1
08-30-2009, 03:57 AM

it took me a week to find out, I applied on the weekend. That monday, I received my test. I got a e-mail mid week asking me a question. At the end of the week I was accepted! It all depends I suppose. GOOD LUCK! Hope you get in!

CGirl
08-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Robert

were they using maya unlimited, I thoutgh they were using maya complete.
Previous students were able to purchase the Complete student version. However, I recently bought Maya 2009 (few weeks ago), and the only student version that was available anywhere was the Unlimited.

ccavute
08-30-2009, 01:10 PM
it has been 3 weeks since i sent tuition fee to AM via wired transfer and they still haven't got it. I sent emails to them asking if there was any news, but sadly there wasn't, I don't know what's gonna happen, they asked me to wait a bit longer and see, but I am really worried.
anyone has the similar issue? *sigh* make my fingers crossed ><!

fleco1
08-30-2009, 05:08 PM
it has been 3 weeks since i sent tuition fee to AM via wired transfer and they still haven't got it. I sent emails to them asking if there was any news, but sadly there wasn't, I don't know what's gonna happen, they asked me to wait a bit longer and see, but I am really worried.
anyone has the similar issue? *sigh* make my fingers crossed ><!

Is there a way you can track it from where you wired it? Or go to them and explain what is going on?

Sapphire
08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Previous students were able to purchase the Complete student version. However, I recently bought Maya 2009 (few weeks ago), and the only student version that was available anywhere was the Unlimited.

Any idea when animation mentor starting using maya2010 and how much student version will be for maya2010.

Redspective
08-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Maya 2010 is already out but I heard Maya 2009 is still the version AM is using. If you want to look into student pricing, go here Studica (http://www.studica.com/products/search.cfm?storeid=2&search_str=maya&x=0&y=0)

2009 is only $388 but you'll have to call them for pricing on 2010. Either version will be fine for AM.

Also, there isn't going to be a problem for you if you get 2009. Maya files can be easily read between the various versions.

Sapphire
08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Redspective,

thank you.

digitalguest
08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I just want to say thank you to Animation Mentor and the host , the webminar this weekend was great, really helpful for all those who are starting AM and have those commons questions.

Archaeologist
08-31-2009, 04:05 AM
After you get accepted, how long before you're given the necessary info to buy Maya at the student discount? I'd like to be able to get the software early and maybe buy some tutorial DVD's and learn the basics so as to bypass the Maya workshop. The Winter term won't start until January 2010 and if someone gets accepted by say mid-September, do you have to wait nearly 3 to 4 months to buy the software at the discounted rate? Thanks!

N1Prime
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
I just want to say thank you to Animation Mentor and the host , the webminar this weekend was great, really helpful for all those who are starting AM and have those commons questions.

Yeah it was cool. Gave me a good insight into how the graduates progressed through the program.

RobertLavigne
08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
After you get accepted, how long before you're given the necessary info to buy Maya at the student discount? I'd like to be able to get the software early and maybe buy some tutorial DVD's and learn the basics so as to bypass the Maya workshop. The Winter term won't start until January 2010 and if someone gets accepted by say mid-September, do you have to wait nearly 3 to 4 months to buy the software at the discounted rate? Thanks!

You won't get the info for the student rate until the class list is finalized which I believe is December 9th ish. If you take the maya workshop you can get it in late September. The only other way you can get your hands on the software early without paying full price or doing the spring baord workshop, is to take advantage of the 30 trial that Autodesk offers. It is a full version of the software and 30 days should give a determined person enough time to get a solid grasp on the program.

Archaeologist
09-01-2009, 03:27 AM
You won't get the info for the student rate until the class list is finalized which I believe is December 9th ish. If you take the maya workshop you can get it in late September. The only other way you can get your hands on the software early without paying full price or doing the spring baord workshop, is to take advantage of the 30 trial that Autodesk offers. It is a full version of the software and 30 days should give a determined person enough time to get a solid grasp on the program.

I forgot about the 30 day trial. That's awesome advice. Thanks!

Romanthony
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
It used to say that the starting day of the Maya Springboard Workshop was September 28th, but now it's January 4th, which I assume is the same day that the Winter Term starts. If I'm a winter student, should I even bother with the workshop anymore? I'm also wondering what I should do with my time until the term, like getting my discount on Maya etc. Do we really have to wait until only a month before the winter term to get the hang of Maya?

Maxwellcreate
09-01-2009, 11:19 PM
While I've heard nothing but good about the Maya Workshop(especially for those who are completely 3D illiterate) it is a good route to go. However I think anyone can get a good hang to Maya(animation wise) within 2 weeks or so of serious dedication. Recently I completed the Digital Tutors Intro to Maya 2009, and I got a nice hang of Maya within 2 weeks of casual studying. It provided me with a long term project to built and model a pod racer, while modeling, rigging and in the end animating it. It got me using the graph editor which is rather important so I've heard!

All really depends on the person and how quickly you pick things up. But both routes are certainly excellent choices.

hope this helps mate!

RobertLavigne
09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
It used to say that the starting day of the Maya Springboard Workshop was September 28th, but now it's January 4th, which I assume is the same day that the Winter Term starts. If I'm a winter student, should I even bother with the workshop anymore? I'm also wondering what I should do with my time until the term, like getting my discount on Maya etc. Do we really have to wait until only a month before the winter term to get the hang of Maya?

My guess as to the reason the start date of the springboard workshop changed is the fall class is likely full. If you really feel that you need the workshop then you can take it in January but that means you won't get to start the AM program until the spring session. They won't let you take the workshop and the real course at the same time. If you don't want to spend the big bucks to buy maya now, I think your best bet is to download the 30 day trial in mid november and start cramming in as much maya study as you can. Like others have said you can pick up maya in a few weeks if you work hard. If you already have pervious experience in 3d it should only take a week or so of hard work. Other people who have taken the springboard course have said that it is really basic and recommended some other training resource as a better way to spend your money. Check through the last 10 page of this thread or so and you'll likely find some solid places to learn maya.

Redspective
09-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Yessss the graph editor!!! Expect this to be a second home for you when the time comes :)

Roman, if I were you, I'd contact the school and ask them about how they'd recommend getting the discounted version of Maya. The only other option you have is to install the 30 day learning version of Maya 2009. And then when the 30 days are up... do a reformat and reinstall it again. Unfortunately you can't just uninstall and reinstall the app. They hide some files somewhere to prevent people from easily reinstalling the software.

I'm sure you'll figure it out dude!

Romanthony
09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, I sent Victoria an e-mail yesterday, but I have no reply yet. They usually get back to me pretty quick... I guess I'll just have to wait.

dren
09-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Did you get a response from Victoria yet? I know she was at her desk yesterday for sure because I was on the phone with her.

I guess I'm jumping on the animationmentor wagon! I applied on Thursday, got an e-mail/call from Victoria on Friday and we sort of just talked about the industry and stuff and I guess she has sent my application off to the 'deciding team.' I was told I should hear back by early next week... Unfortunately I have to impatiently wait all weekend AND Monday since it's a holiday. UGH! :P

I really put some thought into my essay questions... hopefully I get in. I want this so bad right now! :)

Romanthony
09-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I got a reply from her a couple days ago. She said that once the student IDs are set, currently December 9th, we'll get orientation materials and a proof of enrollment, and that proof will make us elligible for a Maya discount.

Just curious, does anybody have anything bad to say about this school? Any downsides? Because sometimes the showcase reels look like the acting and animation style between students is the same, as well as the timing. Don't get me wrong, I love this school and think that all the pros outweigh any possible cons by far, but my only qualm is the level of Individuality they teach you. Maybe that's the student's problem and not the mentor's, I don't know.

RobertLavigne
09-07-2009, 02:55 AM
How can a school teach individuality? That's what you have to bring to the table. If all you do is mimic the style that is shown, your work will look like everyone elses. If you take the time to be creative and put that extra effort in, that's when your work will be original.

I do understand what you mean though. I think one of the problems is that all the characters look basically the same. The subtler things like timing and acting... I dunno.

Redspective
09-07-2009, 03:13 AM
I do understand what you mean though. I think one of the problems is that all the characters look basically the same.

They are currently addressing this from what I read on Bobby Becks blog. Read his last 2 posts regarding some of the concerns mentioned recently http://bobbyboom.blogspot.com/

It will take some time before you get comfortable animating, but when you do, you'll start to notice your animation style taking shape. :bounce:

dren
09-07-2009, 04:35 AM
One thing I'm curious about is their placement rate. 74%... That's high, yes, but what about all those other 16%? What happened to them? Did they not get a job because they just didn't try hard enough? Were they not cut out for the job? Makes me wonder what their work looks like....

Redspective
09-07-2009, 04:46 AM
I wouldn't focus so much on these numbers. Concentrate on making your work as best as possible and the jobs will follow. When I went to VFS, the majority of us got jobs right away... the ones that didn't, didn't work hard enough on their reel, lacked dedication or interest, or had real life issues that prevented them from giving the 110% it takes to get somewhere in the industry.

If you are passionate about animating, and can handle living and breathing everything related to animation for the next 18 months without losing that drive to get you that job you want, then you'll definitely be working come graduation time. Or maybe sooner ya never know :thumbsup:

Romanthony
09-07-2009, 05:00 AM
They are currently addressing this from what I read on Bobby Becks blog. Read his last 2 posts regarding some of the concerns mentioned recently http://bobbyboom.blogspot.com/

It will take some time before you get comfortable animating, but when you do, you'll start to notice your animation style taking shape. :bounce:

Alright, that sounds good.

Just today I've downloaded and installed a 30-day trial of Maya, and I'm learning how to get around right now. It's freaking me out. :argh: I'm sure I'll get the hang of it though. I'd say I have a pretty comfortable intermediate knowledge of 3DS Max, so learning this shouldn't be too hard. Too bad my Maya springboard option is ruled out.

BTW, what I meant by "teaching individuality" was the absence of saying, "you have to do everything this certain way to be successful". You know, openness that encourages individuality.

RobertLavigne
09-07-2009, 05:51 AM
A good way to get a basic handle on maya for free is to check out the "Getting Started" stuff available through autodesk. It might even be included in the maya files somewhere. It's about a 1000ish page document and scene files with loads of tutorials that takes you through most of maya. It won't make you an expert but if your already experienced in 3d it will show you where all the tools you want and some extras are hiding. It helped me out alot making the switch from lightwave.

VrodRick
09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Wonder when AM is going to send us the login info/details so we can get accustomed to the community...only 3 more weeks to go before the term officially starts...getting a bit restless :P

Redspective
09-08-2009, 01:45 AM
A little birdy told me Orientation will be on Wednesday :eek:

fleco1
09-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Wonder when AM is going to send us the login info/details so we can get accustomed to the community...only 3 more weeks to go before the term officially starts...getting a bit restless :P

I believe for the fall we get out stuff sep 9 this Wednesday!
Red has it right!

Titus
09-08-2009, 03:15 AM

The campus is very easy to learn, the first week is introductory BTW.

dren
09-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Hmm... I'm too anxious. When you get accepted, do they send you an e-mail or do I have to wait for a letter in the mail? Please say e-mail.... lol

Redspective
09-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Either you'll get an email, Or Bobby comes to your place to personally tell you you've been accepted... ok maybe I've been day dreaming a bit too much today lol

Seriously though, You'll get an email most likely from Victoria saying Congratulations.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

tehw0p
09-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Man, oh, man, I'm getting excited! I hear orientation is on the 9th as well...can't wait to get my hands on the student discount for Maya! I will definitely be purchasing it ASAHP :D

dren
09-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Either you'll get an email, Or Bobby comes to your place to personally tell you you've been accepted... ok maybe I've been day dreaming a bit too much today lol

Seriously though, You'll get an email most likely from Victoria saying Congratulations.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Thanks a bunch!! :D I want accepted so bad!

pstrick30
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
man i'm right there with u dude! i applied on the 27th of august and still no answer. i talked to brittany riddell just before this labor day weekend and she said she would be sending my application through to get an answer. she actually said my answer was supposed to come back that same day i talked to her, but it never did! so i know the answer should come soon! Ahh i'm so nervous and excited at the same time!

Best of luck to you! i hope we both get in, and ASAP already:] lol :bounce:

VrodRick
09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Man, oh, man, I'm getting excited! I hear orientation is on the 9th as well...can't wait to get my hands on the student discount for Maya! I will definitely be purchasing it ASAHP :D

Where did you hear about orientation being on the 9th?

Would be great to know what the next steps in the process are!

Redspective
09-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I've got a very special birdy who fills me in on these things ;) but I can assure you, tomorrow we'll be getting our orientation email.

VrodRick
09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I've got a very special birdy who fills me in on these things ;) but I can assure you, tomorrow we'll be getting our orientation email.

man, tell that special birdy to head over to my place and let me know what's going on! ;)

Redspective
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
haha sorry, this Little birdy stays with me :)

dren
09-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Called Victoria today and the great news is that I got accepted!! So I'm a Winter '10 student! Hopefully my loan will go through though. I'm real worried about that :(

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Redspective
09-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Congratulations!! Now just get on top of the financing situation and get cracking on Maya :bounce:

RobertLavigne
09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Congrats Josh. I look forward to learning with you in Jan. Good luck with the loans.

VrodRick
09-09-2009, 03:06 AM
haha sorry, this Little birdy stays with me :)

release the bird dude!:buttrock:

Redspective
09-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I'll tell you what, get me drunk enough next year at the BBQ, and maybe I'll tell ya :p

CGirl
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Wait, what??? Did I miss an important orientation or something? I haven't gotten an email or anything.

Hey! Here's good news! This is from another thread posted on 9/5. How's this for encouragement for everyone? Yippee!!!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=795293&page=9&pp=15

"Two fellow AM alumni and I start working as apprentice animators at Disney in less than two weeks, I'd say thats quite positive!"

bliip-n-bloop
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Today is the 9th, I didn't receive anything yet. I did my wire transfer 3 weeks ago and still didn't know it arrived. I'm from Belgium and my bank told me it should be there, but I didn't get any confirmation yet from Victoria. Did anyonelse got confirmation whether their payment was transferred?

EDIT: Received my login details, YIHAAAA! :bounce:

bradfordmoore80
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I only got a confirmation when I specifically asked for one. You may want to shoot them an email.

About Orientation.....Don't forget AM is on Pacific Standard Time, it's still only lunch time over here.

Redspective
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I just got my Orientation email :bounce: Time to start working on that profile :applause:

Maxwellcreate
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Same here, catch you all on the flipside!

dren
09-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Have fun, guys! Can't wait until I'm saying the same thing lol

RobertLavigne
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Whoohoo, Profile's all set up, Student edition of maya is ordered, 2 weeks 5 days to go.

CGirl
09-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Yay!!! This is so exciting. I'm going to watch all the orientation videos now!!

VrodRick
09-10-2009, 06:12 AM
got my orientation email too...bring it on! :P

N1Prime
09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Whoohoo, Profile's all set up, Student edition of maya is ordered, 2 weeks 5 days to go.

Hey Robert,

Where did you order Maya from? Did you get 2009 unlimited?

I'm having trouble finding it. Studica's UK store only has the autodesk education suite for entertainment creation 2010.

If anyone knows how I can get hold of this software (at student discount) I would be grateful.

RobertLavigne
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Robert,

I'm having trouble finding it. Studica's UK store only has the autodesk education suite for entertainment creation 2010.

If anyone knows how I can get hold of this software (at student discount) I would be grateful.

Thats what I orderd, the audtodesk education suite for entertainment creation 2010. It includes not only maya but mudbox, 3dsmax, softimage, and motionbuilder all for just $400 cnd. I figured that is about as sweet a deal as I'll ever find.

But perhaps I made a mistake? Is this not going to included the software I need? If it's not let me now so I can cancel my order.

N1Prime
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats what I orderd, the audtodesk education suite for entertainment creation 2010. It includes not only maya but mudbox, 3dsmax, softimage, and motionbuilder all for just $400 cnd. I figured that is about as sweet a deal as I'll ever find.

But perhaps I made a mistake? Is this not going to included the software I need? If it's not let me now so I can cancel my order.

Man I really don't know. I've spent all afternoon looking for 2009 unlimited but with no luck. The education suite looks like a great deal but I get confused over the differences between 2009-2010-complete-unlimited etc. I'm just worried that all the buttons will be in different places when I start the Maya workshop.

HAHA the first hurdle.

edit: I just got an email from Victoria @ AM, I think its ok man. sorry to confuse matters :thumbsup:

Redspective
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Is this not going to included the software I need? If it's not let me now so I can cancel my order.

Yes it will include it. Maya 2010 will work just fine. Personally, I still love Animating in Softimage and the idea of getting all that and more in this package is a pretty sweet deal. You can rest knowing you'll be set for CG software for a very VERY VERYYYYYY long time :)

N1Prime
09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes it will include it. Maya 2010 will work just fine. Personally, I still love Animating in Softimage and the idea of getting all that and more in this package is a pretty sweet deal. You can rest knowing you'll be set for CG software for a very VERY VERYYYYYY long time :)

It does seem like a "too good to be true" package with all the software included. But I guess that's good news for us right. :beer:

Redspective
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Very good news :) Just don't get carried away learning all the programs at once. Stick to Maya for now... especially if you're just learning 3D software. All the programs are more or less similar but the initial shock of learning your first CG program will not go away so quickly and the last thing you want is to get shocked by 3+ programs at once :applause:

tehw0p
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Just ordered the education suite! So excited for it to get here so I can begin toying around with Maya :D

VrodRick
09-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Man I really don't know. I've spent all afternoon looking for 2009 unlimited but with no luck. The education suite looks like a great deal but I get confused over the differences between 2009-2010-complete-unlimited etc. I'm just worried that all the buttons will be in different places when I start the Maya workshop.

HAHA the first hurdle.

edit: I just got an email from Victoria @ AM, I think its ok man. sorry to confuse matters :thumbsup:

Naa don't worry about the 09-10 differences...for the most part it's the same piece of software, a bit more powerful in some areas, etc like most updates but you'll pick it up :)

RobertLavigne
09-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Hey, I was just looking through the acedemic programs section on AM and saw that you can get a discount on DigiCel's Flipbook. I have been using this software for quite awhile to plan animation and just to have fun with it. It's a great little program and I would recommend checking it out. They offer a free watermarked trial and if you do want to buy it I recommend getting the studio version. It does cost quite a bit more but the extra layers you get are really worth it. If you don't want to spend $200 bucks for the studio edition, the lite version sells for around $79, only $40 with the discount. Even though it only has 2 layers it'll be an invaluable tools in you animation workflow. It's also great for practicing spacing, drag, anticipation and all the other principles without needing to model and rig a character or draw, scan and composite stacks of paper.

VrodRick
09-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Hey, I was just looking through the acedemic programs section on AM and saw that you can get a discount on DigiCel's Flipbook. I have been using this software for quite awhile to plan animation and just to have fun with it. It's a great little program and I would recommend checking it out. They offer a free watermarked trial and if you do want to buy it I recommend getting the studio version. It does cost quite a bit more but the extra layers you get are really worth it. If you don't want to spend $200 bucks for the studio edition, the lite version sells for around $79, only $40 with the discount. Even though it only has 2 layers it'll be an invaluable tools in you animation workflow. It's also great for practicing spacing, drag, anticipation and all the other principles without needing to model and rig a character or draw, scan and composite stacks of paper.

that's funny you mentioned that...i just got done watching one of their demos. Software definitely looks slick and also fast to get the hang of. Is unfortunate the studio version is so pricey but im going to check out their trial ver for $40...seems to be worth it.

N1Prime
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Naa don't worry about the 09-10 differences...for the most part it's the same piece of software, a bit more powerful in some areas, etc like most updates but you'll pick it up :)

Thanks mate. I've put the order in now. I can wander through it as soon as it arrive. Can't wait! :)

tehw0p
09-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Anyone know which of the products print with a watermark? There is a disclaimer on the Studica.com site that says "Some Autodesk student products print with a watermark."

And to N1Prime: sweet avatar, you play any SFIV?

N1Prime
09-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Anyone know which of the products print with a watermark? There is a disclaimer on the Studica.com site that says "Some Autodesk student products print with a watermark."

I'm not sure which ones use the watermark. Would be a shame if this edition of Maya did that.

I don't play SFIV as much as I would like. I have a really bad habit of buying every game that is released and then not focusing on any of them properly :( I was getting quite good with Fei Long though ;)

ea-animation
09-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Normally the trial-version of maya has the watermark, but not the student or any other version :)

Yeaa...rdy with orientation! :)
only 2 weeks left :D

KangtheMad
09-12-2009, 02:16 PM

The free Maya PLE (Personal Learning Edition) rendered with a watermark, but I thought they replaced that with 30 day free trials.

The student versions of Maya should be identical to the full versions; you just sign an agreement not to use it commercially.

VrodRick
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks mate. I've put the order in now. I can wander through it as soon as it arrive. Can't wait! :)

np bud. You're gonna love the suite!

Titus
09-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Hey Robert,

You can get Maya student from AM at the usual student price, don't worry about that.

Dragaroo
09-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'hi'. I work in the IT field but I've always loved animation and have wanted to try my hand at it for some time. I applied to AM last month and am excited to get started on the 28th with the Maya Springboard, enrolling officially in Winter 2010!

Was curious to see what the deal was with the Autodesk Education Suite vs. plain vanilla Maya, but from reading the thread looks like it's not going to be an issue. Glad that the bundled Maya at least is still Win/Mac friendly, and it could be fun to toy with the other apps down the road.

If you're starting the workshop or Winter 2010, hope to see you in class! :)

dren
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not doing the Maya class, should I be? I already have a pretty good handle on Maya... lol

N1Prime
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
You can get Maya student from AM at the usual student price, don't worry about that.

Yeah thanks man I ordered the package. Only thing is my postal service are having regular strikes at the moment so I don't know when i'll get it :(

Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say 'hi'. I work in the IT field but I've always loved animation and have wanted to try my hand at it for some time. I applied to AM last month and am excited to get started on the 28th with the Maya Springboard, enrolling officially in Winter 2010!

Was curious to see what the deal was with the Autodesk Education Suite vs. plain vanilla Maya, but from reading the thread looks like it's not going to be an issue. Glad that the bundled Maya at least is still Win/Mac friendly, and it could be fun to toy with the other apps down the road.

If you're starting the workshop or Winter 2010, hope to see you in class! :)

Hi I'm in that class too! See you in there :)

I'm not doing the Maya class, should I be? I already have a pretty good handle on Maya... lol

I have never touched Maya. I think it's for complete beginners such as myself :)

DreamThinkLive
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Im looking into started soon as well. I sent in my application and im just waiting on my test to come through.

But i was wondering about the Maya Workshop. Is this workshop included in the cost for the school when you start? Also how long before do you get to take this workshop before you start the actual 18 month course?

Hope i my questions made sense?

Thanks in advance!

Ps so excited!!!

RobertLavigne
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
If you wondering if you should take the maya workshop watch this.

http://www.animationmentor.com/mayaworkshopwinter10/moreInfo.htm

Dragaroo
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi I'm in that class too! See you in there :)

I have never touched Maya. I think it's for complete beginners such as myself :)
Cool, seeya there!

I have gone through the motions in Maya, but I would consider my experience to still be very limited - I basically ran through the Maya 7 foundation book a few years ago and haven't touched it since. I went back and forth on whether to take the workshop, but I figure if it's slow at least I'll have some time to run through some digital-tutors tutorials and work on traditional drawing.

DreamThinkLive
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
If you wondering if you should take the maya workshop watch this.

http://www.animationmentor.com/mayaworkshopwinter10/moreInfo.htm

Thanks Alot Robert!

Would you happen to know how much it costs?

Romanthony
09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Does anyone who still frequents here know what the actual courses are like, and do the mentors touch on anything technical to do with the software in the introductory classes, or do they just expect you to figure out the graph editor and such yourself? I really hope it's not the latter.

CGirl
09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Two weeks!!

ea-animation
09-14-2009, 09:12 PM
@ CGirl: YES, 2 Weeks ... 14 days ... 336 hours ... 20160 minutes ... over 1.200.000 seconds :)

@ Romanthony (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=284418): In some weeks I (and some other AM-Fall Students) will let you know :)

Redspective
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
AHHHH 2 weeks isn't enough time to prepare!!! I haven't even sharpened my pencils yet!! :surprised

ToastBusters
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Does anyone who still frequents here know what the actual courses are like, and do the mentors touch on anything technical to do with the software in the introductory classes, or do they just expect you to figure out the graph editor and such yourself? I really hope it's not the latter.

The only class that teaches anything technical is the optional springboard class. There are, however, training videos that are available to all students that give you a crash course in Maya and the lectures do talk about getting good results with the graph editor. In addition, on weeks 2-11 (of the 12 week term) they have an optional Maya Technical class once a week where you can ask any Maya related question you want, and that's available to all students.

Other than the above, you are expected to figure everything else out on your own in regards to Maya, but they do provide enough resources for complete beginners to get ahead. If you have never touched Maya then take the springboard class and you'll be fine.

RobertLavigne
09-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks Alot Robert!

Would you happen to know how much it costs?

I believe it is $495 us

jayweb1
09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Two weeks! Definitely excited and a bit nervous all in one. I hope to see a lot of you in the same classes.

Redspective
09-15-2009, 05:59 AM
I just realized I forgot to get a new stopwatch. Then I found this!!! http://www.fibble.net/animtimer.html

If you own an ipod touch or an iphone, you gotta get this app! I did and it works brilliantly. You can count in frames, footage and seconds.

Enjoy!!!

RobertLavigne
09-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I have that app on my ipod and love it. Very simple and useful. Another free option for an animation time is avaliable at

http://loupguru.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=53

This was created by Timothy Albee creator of the Kaze, Ghost Warrior and an excellent teacher of all things Lightwave 3d. I found the HQX.zip version to work the best on my mac.

Redspective
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Robert it's 12:17 am!!! Shouldn't you be sleeping? :p :bounce:

binarycolors
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Congrats to all of you about to get started in a few weeks! :) Look forward to seeing you on campus. My name is Robert Young; don't hesitate to swing on by my workspace when the new term begins.

RobertLavigne
09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Yikes, I just got a call from studica saying that the Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2010 has been back ordered and won't be shipping till next Wednesday-ish. Hope it still gets here in time for the 28th.

CGirl
09-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Robert, maybe you could download the trial version to tide you over until it arrives? Unless you've already used up the trial period.

Redspective
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
OMG what happened to Animation Mentors website??? www.animationmentor.com (http://kanyelicio.us/http://www.animationmentor.com)

RobertLavigne
09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
funny. Had me for a second.

Redspective
09-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Sorry hehe was bored at work :p

VrodRick
09-17-2009, 04:07 AM
ha, had me for a sec too! :P

VrodRick
09-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Yikes, I just got a call from studica saying that the Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2010 has been back ordered and won't be shipping till next Wednesday-ish. Hope it still gets here in time for the 28th.

dang, that sucks. I just got my copy here a few days back...definitely a good bang for the buck...wish all their apps worked on the mac platform though :(

KangtheMad
09-18-2009, 08:31 AM
At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate :), do we need to purchase QT Pro if we already have Adobe After Effects or Premiere? Wouldn't these Adobe products do everything that's required for standardizing videos?

10 days. I'm looking forward to it. I wish we could have a full access to all the features before the term starts though, especially the forum, chat rooms, and the library.

ea-animation
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate :), do we need to purchase QT Pro if we already have Adobe After Effects or Premiere? Wouldn't these Adobe products do everything that's required for standardizing videos?

10 days. I'm looking forward to it. I wish we could have a full access to all the features before the term starts though, especially the forum, chat rooms, and the library.

Well, a good Question, I think QT is a little bit faster then AE or Premiere, but yes, you can also work with them. The result is the same.

Unfortunately, we have to wait till Monday 28th for full access :(

binarycolors
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM

The problem is that the Video Standardization procedures at AM call for specific Quicktime settings. You may be fine using Premier with the Quicktime plugin, but there is no guarantee. I would just say to do an export once class starts and upload it to your PR to see if any other students have a problem viewing it.

pedrofe
09-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi, AM will give you specific instructions to standardize videos using QT Pro, it is the recommended program and the only one they will support if you have any problem. It is also recommended that even if you use any program like After Effects or Premiere, you use QT Pro as the "final step" to encode your video correctly.

If you encode your video in a different way, it is possible that you will be able to see it in your PR area without problems, but your mentor may have problems to see it correctly.

Anyway, if you have any more questions about this, you will find a lot of information about video standardization when you start at AM.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy AM a lot.

CGirl
09-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Ha ha. I understand about the cheapskate part. I upgraded QT about a month ago in preparation for school. Then a couple days ago I opened my itunes and it started to install an upgrade of itunes AND quicktime. I almost panicked, because apparently if the QT version is bumped up to a new number (like version 8 to 9), then you have to repurchase the Pro upgrade. Luckily, it was just an update to the same version! But for a moment I was thinking, "No! Not another $30!" Kind of funny when I just plunked down $18,000 for tuition. But another $30? Well, that would push me over the edge. ;)

10 days! Oh so exciting! It's basically just a week, with a couple days tacked on! :D

Redspective
09-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Ugh 10 days really? I think i'm a little more freaked out to be honest! I haven't been drawing as much as I should :banghead: SOOOOO Much to do so little time ahhhhhhhh

jayweb1
09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Definitely excited only 10 days! I'm actually signed up for Chris Hatala's Online lecture at Conceptart.org. I met him in Dallas TX for the Reverie workshop and he's really the driving force in getting my butt moving with Animation and switching schools. He had some great lectures and worked on movies like Lord of the Rings and King Kong.

It should be a great presentation and a nice segway right into Animation mentor. if anyone is interested check out Conceptart.org for details it starts at 10:00 AM PST.

Man 10 days seems so close!

VrodRick
09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Ugh 10 days really? I think i'm a little more freaked out to be honest! I haven't been drawing as much as I should :banghead: SOOOOO Much to do so little time ahhhhhhhh

i hear you dude. I'm sitting here in a coffee house trying do work on maya, read my animation books, get a bit of drawing in...way to much too dp :P Crazy in 10 days we'll be in the class...would be great if we could get access to the forums in AM though so we could get our feet wet...owell, just gotta wait it out eh

stuartb
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't stress out too much guys ;) Class1 is pretty basic. You do some bouncing balls, a pendulum, a ball with a tail and two short walk cycles for the legs only. That along with your thumbnails about sums it up. Class2 and on is where the curriculum starts to pick up the pace.

In any case, I'm heading into Class4 this coming term, so if you guys have any questions or feel like looking me up when the website's back up again, feel free :), cheers.
-brett stuart

GingerDave
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM
ill just second what Stuartb Said.

Just so you know, you'll get a week of getting your feet wet, the school wont expect you to blow everyone away on day 1 of school. Its a long journey you're about to embark on. so don't worry about starting at a sprint.

I'm heading into class 5 after a nice break and some travel. my advice to new peeps, the better you grab the concepts in each exercise of class 1 the stronger you will be as you move forward through the classes. As the Basic Foundations class it underpins everything you do.

Best of luck once school starts! ill try and drop by and say hello when it all opens up for the new term.

Dave

pstrick30
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeeee! I got accepted into the winter 2010 term! I'm going to do the maya workshop, so technically won't start till spring...I can't wait:] Is there a recommended webcam i should get? And should I get a drawing tablet thing for my computer?...also (srry for all the questions). Has anyone applied for the salliemae loan? I'm going to apply with a coborrower and I was wondering if i had to just apply for the career training loan and just put in my borrowers information or would I click on the link that say specifically "cosign a loan"?? I emailed AM but it's taking a lil while to get back. So jus wondering...hope you guys can answer some of my questions!! :bowdown:

RobertLavigne
09-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeeee! I got accepted into the winter 2010 term! I'm going to do the maya workshop, so technically won't start till spring...I can't wait:] Is there a recommended webcam i should get? And should I get a drawing tablet thing for my computer?...also (srry for all the questions). Has anyone applied for the salliemae loan? I'm going to apply with a coborrower and I was wondering if i had to just apply for the career training loan and just put in my borrowers information or would I click on the link that say specifically "cosign a loan"?? I emailed AM but it's taking a lil while to get back. So jus wondering...hope you guys can answer some of my questions!! :bowdown:

Hey, Glad to hear your in. As far as webcams go AM recommends you get the logitech pro 9000 or if your on a mac the logitech Quickcam vision pro. For a teblet it might be nice to get one though it's not a necessity. Since yu'll be spending so much time on the computer it is sometimes nice to have a change by using the tablet instead of a mouse. And it does make drawing a lot easier although I really prefer the feel of drawing with a pencil on paper. There are also lots of good programs, such as flipbook, that can be used for planning animation or doing 2d animation that are almost impossible to use without a tablet. So if you have the money to spend then go for it. I can't help you out with the loan thing as I have no experience with that. I look forward to seeing you around AM in the future.

pstrick30
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
RobertLavigne (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=374367) thanks for the advice i appreciate it very much! Yes hope to see you around the campus soon:]...if i have the money i'll def consider the tablet, wouldn't hurt to familiarize myself with both a mouse and tablet:]

Romanthony
09-21-2009, 09:08 PM
So, as a Winter student, in simple terms, what do I need to do right now to best prepare myself until the first week of school? I'm on lynda.com going over the Maya tutorials that have to do with animation: graph editors, playblasts etc. Should I keep doing walk cycles or life drawing?

I assume the orientation e-mail gives you the low down on all the supplies you need, and how you should prepare...?

KangtheMad
09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
I assume the orientation e-mail gives you the low down on all the supplies you need, and how you should prepare...?

sorta.

Most of the orientation was about policies and getting around campus and how to make the most of it. The only supplies they require are Maya, a webcam & a headset, Quicktime Pro, and the 2 textbooks (I think). They also give you some helpful tips on managing your time, submitting your work early, etc.

They have a list of recommended books and what not. I have had the 2 required texts for a while and have read some of the other books; I think the required texts are some of the best books out there as far as the principles of animation go, if you want to read ahead a little.

Good luck. I'm sure you're looking forward to it. I know I am.

Oh and congrats pstrick30.

KangtheMad
09-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Pstrick30,

Personally, I prefer a mouse over a tablet when working with Maya or 3DS Max. But, like Robert said, it is invaluable if you're doing any kind of drawing, texturing, or Zbrush or Mudbox. I guess you just have to see which you like better for Maya. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you much. :)

Good luck, and again, congrats.

DreamThinkLive
09-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Guys,

Do you think if i had the 2009 version of maya it would be ok? Reason i asked, im not sure if they are using 2010.

DreamThinkLive
09-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey, Glad to hear your in. As far as webcams go AM recommends you get the logitech pro 9000 or if your on a mac the logitech Quickcam vision pro. For a teblet it might be nice to get one though it's not a necessity. Since yu'll be spending so much time on the computer it is sometimes nice to have a change by using the tablet instead of a mouse. And it does make drawing a lot easier although I really prefer the feel of drawing with a pencil on paper. There are also lots of good programs, such as flipbook, that can be used for planning animation or doing 2d animation that are almost impossible to use without a tablet. So if you have the money to spend then go for it. I can't help you out with the loan thing as I have no experience with that. I look forward to seeing you around AM in the future.

So my isight cam on my Macbook pro wont do?

Redspective
09-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Do you think if i had the 2009 version of maya it would be ok? Reason i asked, im not sure if they are using 2010.

Yup 2009 will be fine. 2010 doesn't add much in the way of animation. Only issues you might find will be if you share your maya files with someone using 2010. If you use 2009, you won't be able to open scenes saved in 2010 unless you either have the person export it to an older version, or if you edit the file in notepad. We used to do it when using Maya 8 to 8.5.

In any case, don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm sure even Maya 2008 would do.

So my isight cam on my Macbook pro wont do?

Your isight will work, but the Logitech 9000 pro is portable and can be taken around the work area so if you're shooting some self reference, you have more leeway to do as you wish. Personally I'll be using both that and my HD Camera for all my reference. For full body shots, you'll probably need to go outside :) At least I will be :bounce:

RobertLavigne
09-22-2009, 12:17 AM
The big down sides of the isight is it's low resolution and it only shoots at 16fps. While this is all you need for web chatting, if you plan to use it for recording reference footage and taking pictures of thumbnail drawings and sketches it's not going to do a very good job. When I talked with Victoria about it she said most mac users start off with the isight and many end up switching to a logitech or something similar. So if you want to, give it a try, and see if it meets your needs.

pstrick30
09-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks KangtheMad! haha..well it's nice to hear your preference as well every little bit helps:] But yup i guess i'll just have to see for myself. i've used the tablet before and i did prefer the mouse then..we'll see, we'll see!

Oh and I know about the two required readings...could you list just a few more that they encourage as well?? please and thanks :)

RobertLavigne
09-22-2009, 01:12 AM
If your interested in somemore reading materials take a look at pages 12-15 of this ebook from animation mentor. It should be enough to keep you busy for a long time.

http://www.animationmentor.com/landing/BecomeAnimator/eBook.html

KangtheMad
09-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks KangtheMad! haha..well it's nice to hear your preference as well every little bit helps:] But yup i guess i'll just have to see for myself. i've used the tablet before and i did prefer the mouse then..we'll see, we'll see!

Oh and I know about the two required readings...could you list just a few more that they encourage as well?? please and thanks :)

sure. the AM campus is down this week for maintenance, and I can't remember most of them off the top of my head, but I think I saw these 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Timing-Animation-Harold-Whitaker/dp/0240517148/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253581539&sr=8-13

http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Workbook-Step-Step-Techniques/dp/0823002292/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253581907&sr=8-19

i hope these help.

Redspective
09-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Carlos Baena also has a massive list of books he recommends. I've gotten quite a few from here. http://www.carlosbaena.com/resource/resource_books.html

You might also want to look at the Walt Stanchfield Lectures which are now available on Amazon. They're recently edited into 2 books by Don Hahn.

CGirl
09-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Just had to check in to say...

ONE WEEK!! :D

KangtheMad
09-22-2009, 02:12 AM
Just had to check in to say...

ONE WEEK!! :D
yeah. i can't believe i'm going back to school in one week. hehe

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for all your advice so far guys.

I was also wondering im getting a new Macbook Pro 15inch. Do you think it would be ok to Run Maya?

these are the specs:
2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB Hard Drive, DVD SuperDrive
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Operating System
NVIDIA Geforce 9400M + 9600M GT Graphics, 15.4 inch LED Display
Running Snow Leopard

thanks in advance for your help.

Redspective
09-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Yup it will work fine and if you get the autodesk education suite from studica, you'll get both pc and mac versions of maya 2010 http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=60465&p_name=Autodesk-Education-Suite-for-Entertainment-Creation-2010

And if worse ever comes to worse, you could always bootcamp and use windows :)

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Yup it will work fine and if you get the autodesk education suite from studica, you'll get both pc and mac versions of maya 2010 http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=60465&p_name=Autodesk-Education-Suite-for-Entertainment-Creation-2010

And if worse ever comes to worse, you could always bootcamp and use windows :)

Thanks Redspective.

but with the Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2010 from Studica. Do i need to be signed up for school first then show them some form of Id saying i am attending school?

Redspective
09-22-2009, 03:39 AM
I think so... but i'm not 100% sure. CG Girl might know... I think she got hers before we had our orientation. Hopefully she checks in and can answer this better.

Have you already paid AM? or at least the first semester? maybe proof of payment to the school might be good enough?

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Havent gotten in yet. Still waiting on them to get back too me.

But even if i don't i'm still going to continue to learn on my own until i do. :)

But if she checks this i hope she can help me out with an answer

I keep blowing on my Refresh Key waiting on an email from them. Is it weird to be this excited? :bounce:

Redspective
09-22-2009, 03:44 AM
In any case, you can download the student version and use that for 30days directly from Autodesk :bounce: So in the mean time while you wait, you can already get your feet wet :D

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 03:47 AM
is it free? reason i ask is because every cent i have im saving to get what i need for the 18months. Right now i'm starving my self(not really but kinda) to save for this.

Because im from a lil island and we don't have these opportunities here. So im doing everything i can to save and pay for school. :banghead:

From i was a kid i wanted to do this like everyone else in here. :) and im going for it!

Redspective
09-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Yup it's free, and here's the link http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13578047

Mind you as soon as the 30 days are up, you'll either have to enter an activation code, or reformat your computer and reinstall it. You can't just uninstall/reinstall as much as you like.

This should keep ya busy hopefully until you get your full version! which i'll cross my fingers, will be soon :)

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Thanks! Are you in the program? AM that is..

Redspective
09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Yup I start in 1 week AHHHHHHH :) it's going to be brutal because I'm already working :banghead: But here's to becoming a better animator :beer:

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 04:03 AM
WOW! I envy you! Congrats! Have fun! :beer:

Do you have like a 9-5 job?

I hope u have time to keep us updated on your progress. :)

Redspective
09-22-2009, 04:07 AM
It might be hard but I'm going to try and do a blog. I've never done one yet so we'll see if I can keep it up to date :p

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Well good luck! Ill keep you updated on my progress :)

RobertLavigne
09-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all your advice so far guys.

I was also wondering im getting a new Macbook Pro 15inch. Do you think it would be ok to Run Maya?

these are the specs:
2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB Hard Drive, DVD SuperDrive
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Operating System
NVIDIA Geforce 9400M + 9600M GT Graphics, 15.4 inch LED Display
Running Snow Leopard

thanks in advance for your help.

Hey. If I were you I would consider getting something at tad faster. I had the exact same laptop and it gets kinda sluggish when animating most characters. If you can afford it, it might be a good decision to take the processors and ram up a notch. However If spending more money isn't an option then you should be able to do just fine with this computer.

Regarding the student edition of maya. In order to purchase it from studica you'll need to wait until you get a letter of acceptance from animation mentor (not just the email you get saying your in, but a letter with a student ID number, I believe it's found in your AM account once that is setup). You don't get that until about 3 weeks before your start date. Paying extra early won't help you get it sooner.

dren
09-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Okay guys I'm a Winter 2010 student..... I'm only 19 (Only a years worth of credit to my name which is all "good") but I talked to the loan lady (I forget her name :( Sorry if you're reading this, loans lady!) and she says I would probably need a cosigner.

I found a cosigner who is turning 49 this year (plenty of credit history) who has gotten approved for house loans, car loans, and has good credit standing.... Do you think if I have her as a cosigner I will get approved? ... I hope?

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Hey. If I were you I would consider getting something at tad faster. I had the exact same laptop and it gets kinda sluggish when animating most characters. If you can afford it, it might be a good decision to take the processors and ram up a notch. However If spending more money isn't an option then you should be able to do just fine with this computer.

Regarding the student edition of maya. In order to purchase it from studica you'll need to wait until you get a letter of acceptance from animation mentor (not just the email you get saying your in, but a letter with a student ID number, I believe it's found in your AM account once that is setup). You don't get that until about 3 weeks before your start date. Paying extra early won't help you get it sooner.

Ok thanks Robert.

But do you think if i just upgrade the processor speed that would help for now? i can always update the ram later on.

OR even if i just update the ram later would that help?

KangtheMad
09-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Yup I start in 1 week AHHHHHHH :) it's going to be brutal because I'm already working :banghead: But here's to becoming a better animator :beer:
I hear ya. I'm working anywhere in between 40-60+ hours a week. But I wouldn't give this opportunity up for anything.

pstrick30
09-22-2009, 04:41 AM
hey dren,

i'm almost 19 too, next monday it will be official lol. But i guess by the time i get to my first class you will be in the second cause i'm going to do the maya springboard. Good luck with the loan, im trying to do the loan thing with a coborrower as well i hope we both get approved!!

oh and thanks kangthemad, robertlavigne and redspective for the suggestive reading material!

Romanthony
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey, I'm also 19 and doing the loan with a co-borrower! lol

chloedo
09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Congratulation !!
For a webcam, you could consider any webcam really. They used to recommand the logitech orbit and the 9000 something, but they are all working well anyway.
for the graphic tablet, go with a wacom intuos 4 (no need to get the big one)

Happy Shopping !

pstrick30
09-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey, I'm also 19 and doing the loan with a co-borrower! lol
sweetness:buttrock: lol

oh nd thanks chloedo for the webcam nd tablet info

CGirl
09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
ThinkDreamLive: yes, you do need to be formally registered to get the student discount on Maya. I think AM formalizes the student list a few weeks before the semester starts and then sends you the proof of enrollment, which you need to buy the software. I was already a student at community college before enrolling in AM, so that's how I was able to get my copy early. However, when I bought it, only version 2009 was available. Now 2010 is out, but I'm glad I had the extra time to play around with the program since I'm a complete newbie and not taking the Maya springboard class. But here's hoping they don't require us to upgrade to 2010 before we graduate!!!

As for the tablet, I bought the cheapest Wacom since I'm on a budget. The Wacom Bamboo small. When I have more money, I'll upgrade to the Intuos, but for animating in Maya the Bamboo is more than sufficient. And much cheaper!

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 06:40 PM
ThinkDreamLive: yes, you do need to be formally registered to get the student discount on Maya. I think AM formalizes the student list a few weeks before the semester starts and then sends you the proof of enrollment, which you need to buy the software. I was already a student at community college before enrolling in AM, so that's how I was able to get my copy early. However, when I bought it, only version 2009 was available. Now 2010 is out, but I'm glad I had the extra time to play around with the program since I'm a complete newbie and not taking the Maya springboard class. But here's hoping they don't require us to upgrade to 2010 before we graduate!!!

As for the tablet, I bought the cheapest Wacom since I'm on a budget. The Wacom Bamboo small. When I have more money, I'll upgrade to the Intuos, but for animating in Maya the Bamboo is more than sufficient. And much cheaper!

Thanks! for your answer CG Girl. Im just thinking i might try to buy it my self from somewhere just incase so i can have the time to mess around with it as well.

So if i got the 2010 i would be fine?

dren
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I just really hope I can get approved because I don't know what I'd do if I don't lol

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Hey Dren,

I know how you feel im waiting on them as well. The wait is killing me.

Sybexmed
09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
how do i unsubscribe from a thread?

DreamThinkLive
09-22-2009, 07:36 PM
how do i unsubscribe from a thread?

at the top where is says "Thread Tools" click on it and you will see something saying "unsubscribe from Thread" Hope this helps.

dren
09-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey Dren,

I know how you feel im waiting on them as well. The wait is killing me.

Well I know they start winter 2010 loans next month.... I just want to have her put me in now and see if I can get a loan. This is killing me too :(

pstrick30
09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
hey dren so you applied for the loan through sallie mae right? not animation mentor?? and did you just put your coborrowers information in or did you go to the link that said cosign a loan?

i hope you get what im asking lol

dren
09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I haven't applied for it yet -- I contact AnimationMentor (loans@ animationmentor.com) and she said she is putting me down on her list of students needing loan assistance and she will contact me in October to start the loan application process. So I haven't done any of that :P

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 04:11 AM
hey guys i was wondering i was thinkin about getting a 15in macbook pro but robert suggested i get something a lil faster, would the new imacs work?

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory

opposed to the macbook pro

Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
500GB hard drive
SD card slot
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

what i really like about the MBP is that its portable. so i was wondering if you think it would cut it while attending AM?

hope i made sense here? :sad:

RobertLavigne
09-23-2009, 05:23 AM
I don't think the imac would make that much of a difference over the macbook pro. The only difference is the imac's processor is .13 ghz faster. Oh and the hard drive is twice as big, although that won't help with the performance. Like I said the macbook pro should do fine, I used mine for 2 years of animating and other 3d stuff. If you can afford to get maybe a 4 core mac pro with 8gb of ram, that would be great. If thats out of your price range then I'd go with the laptop. But thats just my opinion.

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks Robert! I just wanted to make sure i was getting all i needed out of my machine that i could afford. Thanks for your help though! Really appreciate it.

f10na
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't get snow leopard installed on it yet though as there are currently problems with Maya on it. Hopefully it will all be sorted out soon, but for now AM mac users are recommending avoiding snow leopard until the issues are fixed.

PS. Not suggesting that macs are not good, or that snow leopard is not good. Just giving you a heads up that right now AM mac users are finding the newer versions of Maya to have major problems for animating with snow leopard, but all are hopeful that it will be sorted soon

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Well i dont think i have a choice in the matter because its pre installed on the machine. :surprised

Do you know what exactly is the problem?

VrodRick
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I've run Maya on my 2.56 GHZ Mackbook pro and it works great. Also run it on my Imac as well as dual quad core xeon (all running snow leopard ) and while each platform definitely has performance differences maya's been extremely stable (knock on wood) on my MBP. You should be fine with whatever hardware you go with!

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I've run Maya on my 2.56 GHZ Mackbook pro and it works great. Also run it on my Imac as well as dual quad core xeon (all running snow leopard ) and while each platform definitely has performance differences maya's been extremely stable (knock on wood) on my MBP. You should be fine with whatever hardware you go with!

Well ill cross my fingers then and hope i have luck with mine when i get it :argh:

f10na
09-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Well i dont think i have a choice in the matter because its pre installed on the machine. :surprised

Do you know what exactly is the problem?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13830094&linkID=9242258
other versions of maya have issues too.

Re: snow leopard being preinstalled, actually apple told me 2 days ago that the mac book pros didnt have snow leopard preinstalled yet. Contact apple and make sure you can have the snow leopard cd for when its fixed, but the older version of leopard actually on the laptop.

Again this is not an anti-mac post. Many people I know run maya on macs -they are just not at all happy with the newer versions of maya on snow leopard.

RobertLavigne
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I've had some problems with the graph editor since getting snow leopard. At times it doesn't refresh properly. I managed to find a work around for it but it's kinda annoying. Besides that I haven't discovered any other problems... yet.

If it does turn out to be an issue for you, you are still able to buy Leopard 10.5 from the online Apple store for $129.

f10na
09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Actually, I just meant to give you a heads up about possible issues with snow leopard, but there is now a danger of turning this thread into a debate about machines and operating systems, rather than a discussion about AM. Sorry for that.

Good luck to those about to start AM

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Your right! :surprised Sorry guys.

I started it so f10na is right. Enough about that :)

Back to what we all love and thats animation :bounce:

DreamThinkLive
09-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Congratulations Winter Student!

You have been accepted into the Winter Term for 2010 for the Advanced Studies in Character Animation program at Animation Mentor!

I'm IN!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Redspective
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I was just curious, how many of you doing AM are from the Vancouver, BC area? actually i may have asked this before and i'll probably ask again in the AM forums... I'm just getting super anxious to start school :D who else is as anxious as I am about monday???

Anyways it might be a good idea to know who's close in case we need a little pow wow after those sure to come, all night animation sessions :beer:

Maxwellcreate
09-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm based out of Calgary Red, so not too far from home. I'm always in Vancouver here an again for a lil biz and pleasure! Great city, great food(stephos mmm), nice girls...can't go wrong!

I'm pretty pumped myself for Monday, just returned from London yesterday where I did a good bunch of street drawing and soaked it up with some culture and beer before the long haul.

Now I am just watching some Richard Williams master class dvd's(animators survival kit animated) and getting in a bit of fitness before I get the animators gut!

Look forward to seeing all of you fine folk in class on Monday,

cheers!

dren
09-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Congratulations Winter Student!

You have been accepted into the Winter Term for 2010 for the Advanced Studies in Character Animation program at Animation Mentor!

I'm IN!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Was that not the best e-mail you've ever received?! :P I know it was for me! Congrats!!

renaissance01
09-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey guys,

I'm an AM student as of next week for the Fall term and thought I'd introduce myself before we take the plunge :) Hope you are all ready! Can't wait... Will catch you guys on the inside...

Cheers
Alex

RobertLavigne
09-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm up in Prince George, Sometime when I'm in the mood for a 8 hour drive I'll head down to Van for a beer.

Lucky guy, I wish I could get my hands on Richard Williams Master class DVD's. They look amazing but I'm about $1000 away from purchasing them.

DreamThinkLive
09-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Was that not the best e-mail you've ever received?! :P I know it was for me! Congrats!!

YES! i was literally like this :bounce: and my girlfriend was looking at me all weird because she had her headphones on and she just saw me jumping.

Redspective
09-24-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm based out of Calgary Red, so not too far from home. I'm always in Vancouver here an again for a lil biz and pleasure! Great city, great food(stephos mmm), nice girls...can't go wrong!

I'm pretty pumped myself for Monday, just returned from London yesterday where I did a good bunch of street drawing and soaked it up with some culture and beer before the long haul.

Now I am just watching some Richard Williams master class dvd's(animators survival kit animated) and getting in a bit of fitness before I get the animators gut!

Look forward to seeing all of you fine folk in class on Monday,

cheers!

mmm Stephos... now i want greek food thanks!!! :p Were you in London UK or Ontario?
How are the master class dvd's? I was looking into those awhile ago. I'm more of a book guy but this dvd still peaks my interest.

I'm up in Prince George, Sometime when I'm in the mood for a 8 hour drive I'll head down to Van for a beer.

Oh yeah I think I might have asked this before and I knew someone here was from the interior. If you have a laptop, you can always animate on the way in... ok maybe not :p last thing you want to do is animate yourself off the road and into a tree.

Anyways if you do make it down, and if work will give you an NDA (basically permission), I can show you around the studio in case you're curious what a game studio is like.

Only 112 hours to go!!! That's 6732 minutes or 403,952 seconds but since we're animating, lets go by frames... 9,694,848 frames till we start animating!!! :bounce:

Maxwellcreate
09-24-2009, 03:22 AM
I was in the UK of course, hence the culture part haha

In any event the DVDs are wicked, Richard's teachings are very in depth and thorough. It goes nicely with the book. Wether it merits the price of admission or not, there worth taking a look at. His teachings on timing/spacing and work flow are super helpful, really breaks things down in a way that works predominantly in 2d but transfers to 3d well too. In any event hes a crazy Canadian and knows how to teach.

pstrick30
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Congrats ThinkDreamLive!!! :]]

VrodRick
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm an AM student as of next week for the Fall term and thought I'd introduce myself before we take the plunge :) Hope you are all ready! Can't wait... Will catch you guys on the inside...

Cheers
Alex

Greetings Alex! Yeah, it's going to be a blast finally starting up with AM. Now my issue is trying to juggle an insane work schedule with AM...let the fun begin! :)

DreamThinkLive
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Congrats ThinkDreamLive!!! :]]

Hey thanks pstrick30 I'm so Excited! I'm going to be doing the Maya workshop first though. So im very excited about that while i take my time and get the funds sorted for the Master class. Can't wait! :applause:

renaissance01
09-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Greetings Alex! Yeah, it's going to be a blast finally starting up with AM. Now my issue is trying to juggle an insane work schedule with AM...let the fun begin! :)

Haha yeah i'm also working a full time job in the games industry...Let the juggling begin :)

Redspective
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Haha yeah i'm also working a full time job in the games industry...Let the juggling begin :)
You wouldn't be in Krome would you?

renaissance01
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
You wouldn't be in Krome would you?

I sure am...good guess?

Redspective
09-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Did you work with a Mikey Smout a few years back? He worked on Spyro. I had the fortune of working with that wonderful 2 headed bastard a few years ago :p Great guy!!!

In any case, I'll probably see you around campus next week :)

renaissance01
09-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Nah only started at Krome in January this year after Pandemic Brisbane's demise.

But a few friends know him...small world ha

Redspective
09-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah man! It's a small small industry ;) Gotta keep your friends close and your enemies even closer...

Only 4 more days!!!

renaissance01
09-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Haha. Very true.

4 days! :buttrock:

dren
09-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Oh how I wish I was a fall student .... hahaha You guys are making me jelous counting down the days. Considering I have more than a few months, it seems like an eternity for me!

Romanthony
09-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Hey, us winter students can band together and cope with the few months more of waiting...

As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part".

DreamThinkLive
09-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Hey, us winter students can band together and cope with the few months more of waiting...

As Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part".

Romanthony, are you taking the Maya Workshop?

Romanthony
09-25-2009, 06:38 AM
No, but I'm taking Lynda.com tutorials.

DreamThinkLive
09-25-2009, 06:50 AM
No, but I'm taking Lynda.com tutorials.

Hows that coming?

tehw0p
09-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten their Autodesk 2010 suite from studica yet? I ordered mine three weeks ago and it still says the order is "processing..."

I contacted them and they said they are awaiting stock from Autodesk. This sucks because class begins on Monday and they didn't even say that they were out of stock on the website.

dren
09-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten their Autodesk 2010 suite from studica yet? I ordered mine three weeks ago and it still says the order is "processing..."

I contacted them and they said they are awaiting stock from Autodesk. This sucks because class begins on Monday and they didn't even say that they were out of stock on the website.

While you wait, I would download the 30-day trial so you have something to use. Once your full version comes you can upgrade it and continue to use Maya seamlessly. :) That's what I would do anyways.

Redspective
09-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Do what Dren said. I know the first week we'll mostly be doing website stuff, and I heard the second week entails drawing. We won't touch the bouncing ball until week 3 so I think you'll be fine :)

Maxwellcreate
09-26-2009, 04:12 AM
That's wicked we get a bit of an intro until week 3. Hopefully my 2d chops will transfer well on the good ol' trusty bouncing ball.

By the way I recommend you guys to check out Flipbook when you get the chance. It has a Maya link built right into it, so you can transfer your rough 2d pass into maya frame by frame. I know Jason Ryan does this for his work flow it seems, along side in his classes too.

3 days ou-haaaa!

RobertLavigne
09-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I got my Education Suite on Tuesday. They had they same issue of waiting for stock, but it shipped really fast once they got it. I am in Canada though so I think it's likely coming from a different warehouse.

I second that about checking out flipbook. It's a great little program that makes 2d animation and 3d planning a snap. I would strongly recommend getting the stufdio or pro version if you can afford it, those extra layers are really worth the extra $$. I believe in your Am account there should be info to get a discount on it as well.

DreamThinkLive
09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
I got my Education Suite on Tuesday. They had they same issue of waiting for stock, but it shipped really fast once they got it. I am in Canada though so I think it's likely coming from a different warehouse.

I second that about checking out flipbook. It's a great little program that makes 2d animation and 3d planning a snap. I would strongly recommend getting the stufdio or pro version if you can afford it, those extra layers are really worth the extra $$. I believe in your Am account there should be info to get a discount on it as well.

Can you buy Flipbook and Maya as a bundle?

RobertLavigne
09-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Can you Flipbook and Maya as a bundle?

Sorry can you clarify that. I'm guessing it was can you get "flipbook and Maya as a bundle". To which the answer would be no. Flipbook is made by a really small company, digicell, and as far as I know the only place you can buy it is from there web site.

The only connection between Flipbook and maya is that you can export flipbook files and use them as reference inside of Maya.

DreamThinkLive
09-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Yea sorry,

But thanks for your answer. As you can tell im new with all this stuff :sad:

micgaz
09-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Congrats to all those starting on Monday!

I remember the feeling waiting for that day to roll around... hehehe.
I'll tell you it is worth the wait, AM is just an amazing palce and more than lived up to my hopes. :)

I'm going into class 4 this coming week, and feeling the same sort of excitement now to get into the challenges of the Acting classes. Feel free to stop by and say Hi!, ask for help, or just a natter when we get in. Anything I can help with, I'll be glad to try :)

dren
09-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Congrats to all those starting on Monday!

I remember the feeling waiting for that day to roll around... hehehe.
I'll tell you it is worth the wait, AM is just an amazing palce and more than lived up to my hopes. :)

I'm going into class 4 this coming week, and feeling the same sort of excitement now to get into the challenges of the Acting classes. Feel free to stop by and say Hi!, ask for help, or just a natter when we get in. Anything I can help with, I'll be glad to try :)

Sounds like waiting for Winter 2010 to start should be well worth it lol...

DigiBob
09-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey everyone

My first post, been snooping around for a while though.
This thread here helped me a lot making my mind up if i should go for it and apply for Animation Mentor. Basically you guys and AM's free webinars convinced me to finally sign up for winter term 2010. And guess who got accepted?!
So thank you and I'm so looking forward to get started with all of you winter-termers! :buttrock:

Greets from Switzerland

pstrick30
09-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Hey thanks pstrick30 I'm so Excited! I'm going to be doing the Maya workshop first though. So im very excited about that while i take my time and get the funds sorted for the Master class. Can't wait! :applause:

cool, i'm doing the winter 2010 maya workshop as well, then won't officially start till the spring! I'm suppper excited too, i guess i will be seeing you around then! Same graduating class eventually-woo hoo!:cool: haha

Redspective
09-27-2009, 06:11 AM
36 hours, 47 minutes and 54 seconds!!!

RobertLavigne
09-27-2009, 08:40 AM
not that we're counting

DreamThinkLive
09-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey everyone

This thread here helped me a lot making my mind up if i should go for it and apply for Animation Mentor. Basically you guys and AM's free webinars convinced me to finally sign up for winter term 2010. And guess who got accepted?!
So thank you and I'm so looking forward to get started with all of you winter-termers! :buttrock:

Greets from Switzerland

Congrats DigiBob

Hope to see you around! I think all of the winter people should keep in touch.

Send me a private msg if you have msn or ichat or something :)

Redspective
09-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey everyone

Greets from Switzerland

Ausgezeichnet!!!

Es freut mich für dich :D

Najut... jetzt musst du leider ein paar monaten warten :banghead: abes es geht schnell vorbei :bounce:

Tschüssi!

DigiBob
09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Congrats DigiBob

Hope to see you around! I think all of the winter people should keep in touch.

Send me a private msg if you have msn or ichat or something :)

Let's do that, i'll contact you as soon as my account is fully unlocked.
Did the Maya Workshop already begin? I contacted Victoria at AM to find out if i could still get on board, but haven't heard anything for about 2 weeks now. I suppose it's too late by now, so i'll be working my way through with tutorials. I've been working with Cinema4d for 3 years now, so i guess i'll get the hang of Maya within the upcoming three months;-)

Ausgezeichnet!!!

Es freut mich für dich :D

Najut... jetzt musst du leider ein paar monaten warten :banghead: abes es geht schnell vorbei :bounce:

Tschüssi!

Haha, thank you for the warm welcome Redspective! And even in German! :bowdown:
Well I'll just spend my time getting used to Maya... and -mainly- staring at the calendar;) ha, makes me feel like a kid again, waiting for christmas. Just that it's even like two weeks later!:)
Well hope you'll get through the next hours. And then..enjoy the ride!

CGirl
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
not that we're counting

I am! Ha ha...

So when exactly are we supposed to be able to log in? Noon tomorrow or something like that?

Redspective
09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
A little birdy tells me we'll be able to login at exactly 12pm PST tomorrow :bounce:

Only 24 hours and 38 minutes to go!!!

CGirl
09-27-2009, 06:34 PM
A little birdy tells me we'll be able to login at exactly 12pm PST tomorrow :bounce:

Only 24 hours and 38 minutes to go!!!
Thanks, Red! Wheeee! One more day!

Maxwellcreate
09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Man you and your trusty birdy, I wish I had a birdy.....:drool:

ea-animation
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Hell yes!

24 hours left !!!
2.160.000 Frames !!!

... yeaa ... i could see the ball bouncing and bouncing and bouncing ... :)

Redspective
09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Sadly my Birdy is going to be away for a few days so I wont get much more inside scoops until the end of the week. On the bright side, I know this week will be relaxed... they aren't going to break us as quickly as you'd think :p thank god eh?

pstrick30
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=DigiBob]Let's do that, i'll contact you as soon as my account is fully unlocked.
Did the Maya Workshop already begin? I contacted Victoria at AM to find out if i could still get on board, but haven't heard anything for about 2 weeks now. I suppose it's too late by now, so i'll be working my way through with tutorials. I've been working with Cinema4d for 3 years now, so i guess i'll get the hang of Maya within the upcoming three months;-)

I agree, itd be nice knowing some people when we actually start up. But depends which maya workshop session your talking about...I know there's still plenty of time to sign up for the winter maya workshop. The fall one however I'm not sure. It probably is too late:(

Redspective
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Haha, thank you for the warm welcome Redspective! And even in German! :bowdown:
Well I'll just spend my time getting used to Maya... and -mainly- staring at the calendar;) ha, makes me feel like a kid again, waiting for christmas. Just that it's even like two weeks later!:)
Well hope you'll get through the next hours. And then..enjoy the ride!

Yeah I can speak a little bit of German :) I worked in Germany 3 years. Unfortunately, I moved from Berlin to come back home to Vancouver late last year. I really miss it there. I also lived in a town called Villingen-Schwenningen about 1.5 hours from Zurich. It's kinda close to Freiburg.

Anyways welcome to the community and i'm sure we'll bump into each other on campus soon enough!

AHHH 21 hours 2 minutes!!!

Romanthony
09-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Hows that coming?

Seems to be going good. I'm starting to get around the software and the animation tools like the graph editor pretty well. I need to get cracking now especially, because I have 9 days left on my 2010 trial version.

Redspective
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Roman,

You might want to call Autodesk and explain your situation. I know they can send you a file/patch that will add an additional 30 days to your trial version.

This happens often in studios where they are testing a product but need additional time to see if the software will suit their needs.

R.

EN1GM4
09-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi everybody, I don´t know if this is de right thread to post this question, but i searched and this look like very apropiate to do it.

I heard about something like an animation principle that is called "moving hold" or something like that, so I wanted to know, is there more extra "animation principles" like this?

Redspective
09-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Hi there, actually you should probably post this in the other animation forum http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

This thread is about the school Animation Mentor.

But to quickly answer your question, a "moving hold" is basically a pose that's held for awhile but there's enough movement to tell that person isn't dead. "Dead" is also a principle that u don't want... unless it's an inanimate object or the subject you're animating is actually dead.

Unfortunately there are tons of other animation principles. If you want to learn more about them, I recommend you buy "The Animators Survival Kit - Richard Williams" and/or "The Illusion of Life - Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston"

Those 2 are bibles that should never leave your side :)

Good luck!

ea-animation
09-28-2009, 07:59 AM
11 hours left :)
This will be a loooong night/ day.

bliip-n-bloop
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm also SUPER excited to log in... Really curious who my mentors is and my fellow classmates. It's so motivating to know people who share the same passion. See you soon boys and girls! :)

N1Prime
09-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Not Long now!!

Am I correct in saying we can log in to the campus today but there are no assignments? More specifically for the Maya course.

Starts at 8pm London time so I'm home and ready :)

ea-animation
09-28-2009, 02:44 PM
@ N1Prime:
A good question about the assignments.
But I hope there is one for this week :)

8pm London time is nice, 9pm in Vienna ... raaar just some hours.
Cya there :)

jayweb1
09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm also very excited to login today! Only 4.14 hours left! I really can't wait to see who my fellow students and mentor are. Feel free to friend me when we login! Name is Jamie Weber.

Also congrats to the newly accepted students!

Redspective
09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
4 hours 10 minutes! GEIL!!! :buttrock:

I'm not 100% sure on assignments this week but I know i'll be definitely be hitting the sketch books as often as possible. That and watching LOTS of movies from everything Pixar to some LOTR.... might do a LOTR extended marathon. Think 12 hours of Frodo is too much? :p

N1Prime
09-28-2009, 02:53 PM

I'm not 100% sure on assignments this week but I know i'll be definitely be hitting the sketch books as often as possible. That and watching LOTS of movies from everything Pixar to some LOTR.... might do a LOTR extended marathon. Think 12 hours of Frodo is too much? :p

I did a LOTR marathon when the extended box set came out. It's definitely a test of your resolve but definitely worth it. Just make sure you have Pizza and something to drink ;)

Just wish the MAG Beta was a week earlier :(

Redspective
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm probably drinking too much caffeine as it is... and the pizza? well that's a given! I might do a Pixar marathon too while I'm at it. Gotta get keep that motivation in high gear :bounce:

Anyways I'll probably see you all online soon enough :) onl

ea-animation
09-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Jaaa MEGAGEIL :)

tooo much? 12 Hours is just the warm-up ... afterwards you can watch star wars episode 1 to 6 :D ... and then ... :buttrock:
btw. i have watched LOTR 12 hours at cinema...one looooong special day with (i think) 6 breaks^^

DreamThinkLive
09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Let's do that, i'll contact you as soon as my account is fully unlocked.

Cool do that! I'm looking forward to meeting alot of people before we start. it would be cool. also im not sure if the Workshops started as yet...

Also CONGRATS to the folks that started today. GOOD LUCK! and im jealous.

Have FUN!

Titus
09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
@ N1Prime:
A good question about the assignments.
But I hope there is one for this week :)

The first week of class 1 the assignment is very simple, more related to understand how the campus works.

dren
09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
lol notice how the thread was bursting with activity this morning and now that class has started all of the fall fall students just disappeared haha.... =P

DreamThinkLive
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
lol notice how the thread was bursting with activity this morning and now that class has started all of the fall fall students just disappeared haha.... =P

Yeah i noticed it also :) I guess we will be like that one day soon

Redspective
09-28-2009, 11:37 PM
haha I'm still here :) although I probably will not be as frequent as before... the site is seriously full of awesomeness!!! Don't worry winter students, you'll get in there soon enough!!!