PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

mmkelly011881
07-13-2004, 12:06 PM
matt is much better :) i wish it would let me change my username

and yeah... pageflipping is an important artform

Rabid pitbull
07-13-2004, 12:06 PM
I've searched for some freeware programs, but most of them were crap. I only want to composite my scanned images and play them at the desired framerate. There must be something :argh: ?
If anyone knows a program, send it! Thanks you!

-shiroii
While not free quicktime pro is cheap($30 ??) and it will allow you to make frames into animation easily and quickly.

oshiroii
07-13-2004, 07:09 PM
I'll have to practise some more to do the pageflipping, but besides that, I really like the 2d animation. While doing it, I came with another question for Bobby and Shawn. What do you guys do to prevent RSI? I read that bobby sometimes makes over 50 hours per week. I suppose that 90% of that will be behind a desk (not nescesarely behind a computer) so do you guys have some tips or things you do at work to prevent it. Do your bosses look out for it and support and stuff? I really wonder this, because this is I think the most important part of working with a computer for a long time, healthy work conditions. :D

Matt, too bad you can't change the username. Can't you request it by the moderators?

Rabid pitbull, I've read about this thing with quicktime pro. I know it can composite the images for me, but I don't feel like spening 30 bucks on just that. I'll try to find something sw33t and free :D

alexandrecollac
07-13-2004, 07:33 PM
If u discover how to change the username, tel me , please

Felipe
07-13-2004, 07:40 PM
I've searched for some freeware programs, but most of them were crap. I only want to composite my scanned images and play them at the desired framerate. There must be something :argh: ?
If anyone knows a program, send it! Thanks you!

-shiroii
There is a freeware called Virtualdub that makes an avi file from a sequence of image stills, and there is a lot of options too. Works great for me. You may want to check it out !

Cheers

Felipe
sorry !!! double post

Felipe
...and sorry again, triple post. I had some lag this afternoon.

oshiroii
07-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Felipe,Felipe and Felipe, thank you, saw the site and it looks pretty good, I havn't got time to check it out now, but I will tormmorow, thanks! :bounce:

Felipe
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Felipe,Felipe and Felipe, thank you, saw the site and it looks pretty good, I havn't got time to check it out now, but I will tormmorow, thanks! :bounce:You're welcome ! I hope you like it. I'm not sure but I think it only works with tga sequences though.

fr3drik
07-14-2004, 01:17 AM
This is going a bit off-topic, but none the less:
oshiroii - You should really look into using Quicktime instead of AVI. Quicktime gives you the ability to step forward and backwords frame-by-frame in your animation + great codec options (such as Sorenson3).

Phearielord
07-14-2004, 01:28 AM
If you install the 3ivx (http://www.3ivx.com) codec you can view .avi files in quicktime.......so you can then scrub to your hearts content! :)

...good for maya playblasts, i found :)

clockwerkz
07-14-2004, 02:21 AM
I noticed that Shawn Kelly hasn't posted anything for a bit now.. could this be the calm before the storm? The storm that is the new updates on AM, maybe pricing? Start dates? Predictions on the elections in November? The best way to lance a boil on the foot? Paper or plastic? :)

cW

Bentagon
07-14-2004, 09:21 AM
oshiroii: you can import images and export to .mov in flash too... it won't have the exact same quality, but if you haven't got anything else, it's worth the shot.

and about RSI: my brother just told me about some sort of mouses he saw at a LAN-party a couple of days ago, that work with some kind of rollerball on top of it, and it would make sure you don't get RSI. Lots of professional gamers use it. Maybe animators too... or maybe they work with a tablet from time to time.

now gimme some AM news!

- Bentagon

oshiroii
07-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks all, I'll check out Felipe's program and will certainly consider QuicktimePro. It's pretty much recommended by everyone. I have found another forum in CGTalk, aobut 2D animation, this mainly aims for PAP, but quictime is recommended there too as a composite program :bounce: Will check it out.

Bentagon, yeah I've heart of those mouses too. A friend of mine's got one. Or actually his mom's got one. We both totally hate it. It just doesn't feel natural. I havn't used it in 2 years, but I believe it's not to cool to use, you have to "steer" with you fingers or something I dunno, I wouldn't recommand it. But for things like UT2K I suppose you could turn around real fast and if you get used to it, it might be a pretty good gaming mouse :p

I suppose we should get on topic again, some announcements would help :D

oshiroii
07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
just a site to check often http://www.tonywhite.net/desk.htm

keenasmustard
07-15-2004, 06:51 AM
I was just cruising around in AWN, and noticed a couple of people were asking:

"is it JUST for 3D,
or 2D AND 3D? stopmotion would rock as well..."

I'm sure I remember Bobby mentioning something about this somewhere?

mmkelly011881
07-15-2004, 10:15 PM
you can work in whatever medium you want

mmkelly011881
07-16-2004, 04:06 PM
i dont know what to do without my mentor news fix.. any changes or additions fellas?

paperclip
07-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Any chance that the video tutorials will be captioned- do you put in different languages to make it accessible to people from different countries or will it all be in english?? Oh and will it be accessible to deaf animators?? Please advise!!!:shrug:
Other than that, can't wait to get my sign up email, providing it's captioned----will it be?:D

alexandrecollac
07-17-2004, 09:56 PM
It has been calm here this days.

I donīt know if Shawn, Carlos or Bobby BOOM fom AM are still in this thread, but i want to ask one question to them.

- Reading the "Illusion of Life" book somewhere in the middle, they say that the beginners in disney took 1 year and a half learning the basics and other 6 years to master the tecnics, i know that u are investing a lot of time in the AM stuff and u really believe in it and i believe too that iīll be a great animator, and i will do my best to this (Pixar, one day). But if i understand it right u are going to teach the basics in the first two parts of AM, what ll take 6 months, 1/3 of the disney speed (in that epoch). So u really believe that we can learn the basics and fix it in our minds in this period, and be as good that we can be hired by some good studio???
I know that AM is designed for everyone , from the really beginner (me) to a more experienced animator, and the pace will be diferent from one to another. and i want to know with your teaching and learning experience, How much time someone took to learn the basics?

Matias
07-18-2004, 12:00 AM
I cant wait anymore!! loll, i need to know more!!

hurry! or i will have to buy some new fingers for me :P

MadMax
07-18-2004, 12:59 AM
But if i understand it right u are going to teach the basics in the first two parts of AM, what ll take 6 months, 1/3 of the disney speed (in that epoch). So u really believe that we can learn the basics and fix it in our minds in this period, and be as good that we can be hired by some good studio???
I know that AM is designed for everyone , from the really beginner (me) to a more experienced animator, and the pace will be diferent from one to another. and i want to know with your teaching and learning experience, How much time someone took to learn the basics?
To put a bit of perspective on this, it is quite possible to get good enough to get a job within a years time. I understand that at Dave School this past year, Ron Thornton hired 3 of the graduates there for his crew on Captain Scarlet, so it is most definitely a possibility.

Having a good eye for design and being able to wrap your head around the ideas being taught will go a long way.

I've seen people who are pretty damn good in a matter of months, and some that take years to get good. AM is providing the tools, it is up to you to make the most of them.

aydinu
07-19-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm really interested in this one too but there are things I like to know. First one is ofcourse the price (like everyone else on this forum:)) and the second of all (and maybe it has been answered already) how intensive it is. Because there are alot of people having a fulltime job and allways wanted to learn character animation. I know this is all in your own hands but how much time do you have to put in yourself if you want to finish a class in 3 months (so not having a 24 hours working day for each class period). You guys already answered that you can do it in your own tempo but I don't want to do it in 6 or 7 months too. So what is a reasonable time to put in a day for finishing it in a reasonable time?

Aydin

Kael
07-19-2004, 07:09 AM
this is great! cost will the main issue here! Because it is online but the staff is awesome, and 3d people spend that much time on their personal computers at home anyway in regular school so... what should they charge? i know the left side of my brain wont let me pay the same for online school as for regular school but the right side is saying "great lets join now!"
ohhhh my god! stop the voices in my head!!:banghead:
seriously though i think this could be a memorable project... godspeed AM

-Andrew

roger3d
07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
OMG, AM is just I was looking for!:applause:
I can't leave my country and study in US.
I was thinking about entering Academy of Art College online, but it's too expensive... and no one recommended it.

I can't wait for it!

Are you guys already practicing/training in order to be 'ready' when they launch AM?

mmkelly011881
07-20-2004, 05:58 AM
yes.. go over into the animation section and join in on "SUSPENSE" Animation Exercise thread... it's stickied at the top of the animation section
do some crit... or hell, join in! we'd love to have you!
yeah.. about 8 hours left on that one but hopefully sheep will have a new one set up for us this week..

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 06:07 AM
The next animation session will be launched tomorrow!

no wait period this time :)

everyone should join , its good exercise!

keenasmustard
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Is there a particular reason why you had to start a different thread? CGTalk is a great site.. but I don't have time to read through all of the new topics. I mean, one moment, we're going nuts in this thread, it all goes quiet, except for a few of us "out of the loop" stragglers, and now I discover you've all moved on! I've now bookmarked the FAQ page as my homepage, 'coz I didn't realise until the other day that there was new info posted on there... specifically that the nitty gritty info will be released "in the next week or so". (This I found out completely by accident, when I went to post the link to help someone else out in the AWN forum.) I'm starting to get a bit panicky, 'coz the email address I've submitted for the wait list has started blocking some emails for no apparent reason... Can you please give us a break, and stop moving where you are posting the information? Or at least let us know in here that you've all moved to a different thread/forum/webpage or whatever?

Thank you.
- a rather anxious Keenasmustard

keenasmustard
07-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Sorry, after searching for the "suspense" thread, I realised you are talking about your animation exercises. I do, however stand by what I said about info being posted elsewhere (ie the FAQ) page, and not letting us know.... I don't know if I'm the only dummy here, but I thought this thread was the primary spot we seemed to be kept "up to date" with info on Animationmentor. It's obvious that we're all hanging out in suspense for some news (thus me thinking the "suspense" thread was about AM). The thought of a mob of people out there already knowing what's going on, (and possibly already in the process of enrolling) while the rest of us remain here, in total agony and complete oblivion, is almost too much to bare! If there's another website or thread out there, can ya' let us know? Please?:sad:

mattmos
07-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Um, keenasmustard, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. The suspense animation thread or the new challenge thread are nothing to do with animationmentor - they are just good practice while we're all waiting anxiously for more info! Take a chill pill and be patient, this feels like the calm before the storm to me...

Edit: ok you've got the picture. Though afaik, the info about the update in the next week was posted in this thread somewhere...

keenasmustard
07-20-2004, 03:59 PM
OK, I must have missed it (the post). Just as long as I'm not out of the loop! :)

mmkelly011881
07-20-2004, 06:45 PM
whoops.. sorry for the confusion.. i was just responding to the request for animation exercises for practice... i'll edit the post above

clockwerkz
07-21-2004, 02:51 AM
I, for one, hope that this paerticular thread remains the premiere CG Talk thread on AM because it is so long! I think the fact that it has already broken records is a good show of the support for AM. :-)

cW

mojodesign
07-21-2004, 06:44 PM
sorry about this double post folks.

mojodesign
07-21-2004, 06:48 PM
hey clockwerkz,

did you go to the art institute by any chance? I'm just asking because I don't see many people here from Miami...I'm from Miami too. We might of even gone to school down here together. Yeah, even with a degree from an art college I wouldn't mind taking up these courses at AM.

-jose

gilgil80
07-21-2004, 09:18 PM
iam very happy about it cant beleive wanna get a place there

clockwerkz
07-23-2004, 11:50 PM
just had to bump it up. :-)

oshiroii
07-24-2004, 12:19 AM
(>_<) @!#$@#$ Where is everyone, we need more posts and information :D It's like an uncomfortable silence and some people drop by and say something but it's not like super intresting, just like this post :rolleyes:

No news? Nothing? Sure? Very sure? pleaaaaaaaaaaase? :love:

alexandrecollac
07-24-2004, 01:53 AM
:scream: Good News, the AM is going to start tomorrow... ...Just kiding :sad: do not curse me. I now not funny.

Itīs difficult to wait so long, but they are quiet maybe it is coming soon. Iīm starting to worry if my mail is correctly recorded there.

Nothing to do just wait...........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ...

Stychentyme
07-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Be patient everyone. It will happen. :thumbsup:

Stych

Matias
07-24-2004, 02:50 AM
i cant wait anymoreee :'(

oshiroii
07-24-2004, 12:21 PM
:scream: Good News, the AM is going to start tomorrow... ...Just kiding :sad: do not curse me. I now not funny.

Itīs difficult to wait so long, but they are quiet maybe it is coming soon. Iīm starting to worry if my mail is correctly recorded there.

Nothing to do just wait...........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ...

Same here, I havn't had an e-mail in ages, ... now I think of it .... I've never had an e-mail!
But I signed up, .... TWICE!!! :D

clockwerkz
07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
AM toss us a bone!!

I'm figuring these guys must be tied up with the Incredibles/SW III.

cW

Matias
07-27-2004, 08:30 PM
AM toss us a bone!!

I'm figuring these guys must be tied up with the Incredibles/SW III.

cW
i cant wait any more!! we need more info!

agreenster
07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Patience grasshoppers.

:D

I bet things will roll after Siggraph...

mmkelly011881
07-27-2004, 10:25 PM
patiently biding my time and working on ANIMATION SESSION 8!!

animboom
08-01-2004, 05:47 PM
You guys are great. Yeah, we've been busy. The first AM newsletter is due out next week (Aug 2004). Things should really start flowing better now. Again, thanks for being patient. All your input and suggestions have really helped out so far.

-BOOOM

SheepFactory
08-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Great news man! looking forward to it. :D

oshiroii
08-01-2004, 06:16 PM
YAY, already looking forward to the newsletter!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

mmkelly011881
08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
woohah, keep up the good work fellas (and any ladies that might be involved)

:)

erilaz
08-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Dang, we're like a pack of ravenous Hyenas!:D

Brötje
08-01-2004, 11:35 PM
I think, just graduated this year in animation, that they will charge a lot of money to attend these courses. And people like myself will never be able to afford this kind of first hand tutoring. :sad:

alexandrecollac
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Hey, tanks a lot for breaking the silence. Great news:thumbsup:

Matias
08-02-2004, 12:09 AM
I think, just graduated this year in animation, that they will charge a lot of money to attend these courses. And people like myself will never be able to afford this kind of first hand tutoring. :sad:
hey!, we must be optimistic.. we are a lot of people from "far away" cg schools.. :D

Brötje
08-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Of course, there is no price to be put on some good education. I'm quite looking forward to it really, but I'm being realistic.

We'll see when it comes online... :)

peanuckle
08-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Cant wait for the newsletter to come! (holding checkbook in hand ready for enrollment to start ;))

pea~

AjaBogdanoff
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping there will be enough time between signing up and paying tuition to take out a bank loan or something!

bscott
08-02-2004, 04:34 AM
looks great, looking forward to learning more. All these guys (girls) rock for participating in such a great program. Kickass!

Brian
RSAD alum.

clockwerkz
08-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Wow.. I think I really screwed the pooch now..

We bought a new house, and I didn't bother transferring my phone service.. I set up a new account at the house, and thus have changed my e-mail... So I inadvertently put myself at the back of the bus!!

So to the admin staff at am.com, umm.. anyway you can look at the e-mail list and swap out my new e-mail for the old one? Thanks!

cW

mmkelly011881
08-02-2004, 03:35 PM
im pretty positive that there is no "line" as of yet...

bobby said that it wouldnt matter if you signed up for the list months ago or yesterday... everyone gets the email at the same time

Fahad
08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
animation mentor is NOW sending out emails, check your's.

alexandrecollac
08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Finally some answer :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: , just received their newsletter some minutes ago. Looks like they are going to launch the enrollment on the siggraph. Wish o could be there to see it.

Tanks AM people.

Just another thing

Can I learn at my own pace?
We have developed 2 ways people can sign up for AM.

Pick-A-Pace TM

PACE 1: One class/assignment per week: Making each level 12 weeks in length (or 3 months).
PACE 2: Our more flexible schedule: One class/assignment every other week: Making each level 24 weeks in length (or 6 months).

I would like to know the minimum amount of time i need to each class, not only to see it but to do the exercises, iīm knew and donīt know how much time iīll spend in a class. So your opinion will help me to choose.

???
08-02-2004, 05:56 PM
most important info ive been waiting for months:

How much does AnimationMentor cost ?
We know this is the most frequently asked question and are working hard to nail this down. Because you are on our newsletter we will be announcing this information to you before anyone else. Here's what we know so far:

Our goal is to keep price down and the quality up. We're working hard to keep the price of a 12-week course similar to that of a class at a large traditional art school.

mmkelly011881
08-02-2004, 06:04 PM
wish i was going to siggraph

Fahad
08-02-2004, 06:07 PM
it's pretty much the same info we got from the "unofficial faq" posted a while back .. hmm .. how much IS the price of "a class at a large traditional art school"?

hmm ...

Mooncalf
08-02-2004, 06:08 PM
wish i was going to siggraph

Don't worry, buddy... I'm gonna be there, and you know I'll just fill you in bit by juicy bit.

AM.com is on the way----wee-haugh! :)

- M

oshiroii
08-02-2004, 06:56 PM
YAY, I got the letter, but .. uhm ... yeah well .. uhm, I followed this thread and worked trough 25 pages to catch up since somehow I missed it, I posted a lot and uhm.. you know, I already knew this. It just gave a littel bit of extra information, will the price be so high they don't wanna tell us :D hahah, just kiddin'

RayenD
08-02-2004, 07:03 PM
it's pretty much the same info we got from the "unofficial faq" posted a while back .. hmm .. how much IS the price of "a class at a large traditional art school"?

From $100 to $5000.. I know it doesn't help.
Gnomon charges 1500$-1600$ for 10 week course.

If I can speculate a bit, anything above $1000 per course would stop most people considering this is remote learning. I trust AM completely, but this is something:

a) new
b) untested
c) no person to person feedback/interaction. Of course there is a feedback from your mentor, but you can't say "please stop I don't get it, could you explain it again". The video will ignore you ;). You can ask later, but this is not the same.

No official paper after too. Personally I don't care, but lots people care, especially if they steal/lend/get money from their parents ;) (parents care for sure)

Fahad
08-02-2004, 07:10 PM
yeah .. they really need to price it right for it to be a success ..

though, they also don't want hords of people lining up to join.

alexandrecollac
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
From $100 to $5000.. I know it doesn't help.
Gnomon charges 1500$-1600$ for 10 week course.

If I can speculate a bit, anything above $1000 per course would stop most people considering this is remote learning. I trust AM completely, but this is something:

a) new
b) untested
c) no person to person feedback/interaction. Of course there is a feedback from your mentor, but you can't say "please stop I don't get it, could you explain it again". The video will ignore you ;). You can ask later, but this is not the same.

No official paper after too. Personally I don't care, but lots people care, especially if they steal/lend/get money from their parents ;) (parents care for sure)

I donīt care too, but my parents will really care (of course it is their money).
Iīll try to be the first "guinea-pig" <-- Funny word, i had to look in the dictionary "the father of the donkeys" (donīt know if u have this expression in US)

MikeRhone
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Im curious how intense the program will be. I''m very interested, but I'd be working while I 'attend' the school. Maybe a few months off work is in order ;)

I attended a seminar put on by 2 pixar animators a few weeks ago, Andrew Gordon and Michael Venturini. What I thought was just going to be a bit of a chat about how the industry works and how kick ass it is wo work at Pixar, it ended up being the most informative lecture/class I'de ever been to. If the AM is in any way similar to the talk that Andrew Gordon and Michael Venturini gave, I can say it will be one hell of a course.

As for price, Id love to know how much its going to cost. They could auction some seats on Ebay. (Good way to determine the fair market value of thier course and what people are willing to spend.)

Mike

PS, sorry for the fanboy-ishism, but I am rarely as Impressed as I was that day.

animboom
08-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Yo, thanks for your responses. The Newsletter is long overdue and does reiterate a lot of what's on the forums. But now that things are all in order expect more regular updates on stuff.

About Price. The key thing to remember from the newsletter is that we want AM to be a cost effective and time effecient way for people to learn animation. We're not going to auction seats on ebay. haa haa. No, we just want to make sure it's done accordingly. I know this is the number 1 question and we appreciate the patience.

Just for the record, we're not going to be registering students at Siggraph. However, we will be announcing the offical launch date at Siggraph.

Andrew Gordon and Mike Venturini are two amazing animators. Super great guys and as talented and passionate as any two animators could be about the art. I can only hope that the effort and attention we've all put into AnimationMentor will live up to your expectations. Thanks folks. Hope to see you at Siggraph.

-BOOOM

AjaBogdanoff
08-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Oh man... Of course, the announcement will come while I'm on my honeymoon! :D The enrollment probably won't start that week, right? Or should I bring my laptop with me? :p

clockwerkz
08-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Well, I didn't get the e-mail. #%$^@#@! My fault, I should've used my wife's address. But who'd have thunk it that I would lose the address I registered with.

Anyhow, if any of the AM guys should get this, I originally registered with finscm@bellsouth.net (withfinscm@bellsouth.net). That no longer works.. I have finsc@bellsouth.net. I went to the website and entered it in. But no newsletter.

cW

alexandrecollac
08-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Well, I didn't get the e-mail. #%$^@#@! My fault, I should've used my wife's address. But who'd have thunk it that I would lose the address I registered with.

Anyhow, if any of the AM guys should get this, I originally registered with finscm@bellsouth.net (withfinscm@bellsouth.net). That no longer works.. I have finsc@bellsouth.net. I went to the website and entered it in. But no newsletter.

cW
I sent it to u in case u didnīt receive

clockwerkz
08-03-2004, 01:52 AM
alexandre: Thank you..that was much appreciated. :-)

Hopefully regardless of my e-mail being on that list I can still sign up. I personally don't have any reservations about the pricing. This is going to be a great program. As long as it's not astronomical, like 10,000 or so per quarter!
cW

dfaris
08-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Is there any chance that we would be able to get the models ready to go using messiah?

tjnyc
08-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Is there any chance that we would be able to get the models ready to go using messiah?
I have Maya and messiah. I'll redo the rigs to work with messiah and I'll make it available for messiah users. That is if I get accepted to AM.http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Cheers,

dfaris
08-03-2004, 03:42 AM
I have Maya and messiah. I'll redo the rigs to work with messiah and I'll make it available for messiah users. That is if I get accepted to AM.http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Cheers,
Hey tjinyc,

Will this work? will the rigs they have come into messiah correct?

mmkelly011881
08-03-2004, 03:45 AM
I donīt care too, but my parents will really care (of course it is their money).
Iīll try to be the first "guinea-pig" <-- Funny word, i had to look in the dictionary "the father of the donkeys" (donīt know if u have this expression in US)wow... i can't believe thats the definition you got on guinea pig

a guinea pig is a type of rodent that is sometimes used for scientific testing... usually used now as a pet

http://www.download2me.com/randy%20guinea%20pig.jpg

sorry but i had to post that :)

back on topic: hehe i still wish i was going to siggraph.. it would be cool to meet you guys

alexandrecollac
08-03-2004, 03:57 AM
So, iīll be the guinea-pig for the Animation mentor, heheh:D .

In portuguese the name of the animals for scientific test is "cobaia" (not a name of a specific animal, can be used for all). Hey new avatar

mmkelly011881
08-03-2004, 04:00 AM
hahahahaha :)

tjnyc
08-03-2004, 04:01 AM
Hey tjinyc,

Will this work? will the rigs they have come into messiah correct?
No, I am thinking more like re-rigging in messiah. From previous posts, the rigs don't really sound that complex and it doesn't seem to matter how the rig is setup as long as they more or less work the same way. But we'll see what happens, maybe there won't be a need for me re-rigging maya rigged models for messiah.

Cheers,

dfaris
08-03-2004, 04:14 AM
No, I am thinking more like re-rigging in messiah. From previous posts, the rigs don't really sound that complex and it doesn't seem to matter how the rig is setup as long as they more or less work the same way. But we'll see what happens, maybe there won't be a need for me re-rigging maya rigged models for messiah.

Cheers,
ah ok well if they put out some kind of info about how the rigs are setup it should not be to hard to set it up in messiah. I bet if its simple the autorig would even work pretty well. Then I could just tweak the rest. Well that would all depend on how much the classes are.

RayenD
08-03-2004, 05:13 AM
I'd not worry about rigs, people will redo them fast in every package they use.

I am going to redo it in a package I'll be using at that time.

Alexandre, show your parents Nemo credits or Monsters Inc. credits. It should be better recommendation than any paper :).
I do it everyday, but I show it to my daughter hehe.

Dreamzsguy
08-03-2004, 05:42 AM
I am on my way....

furryspork
08-03-2004, 06:55 AM
I just got the newsletter, and I usually try to go to Siggraph, but this year the conference dates are too close to when I have to go back to school (If I went, I would have to get back from Siggraph, drive 8hrs. to Florida, and move my stuff from storage to my room, all in the same week).

If I had known the AM guys were going to be there, I would have really tried to go. Will there be an AM booth/table/party at Siggraph next year? Probably not. Arrrgh. I wish I lived in California, then I could go to Siggraph almost every year. :rolleyes:

What ever happened to moving the conference around? I mean, sure, most of the industry is in California, so I guess it makes sense. But they were planning to have it in Atlanta one year (which didn't happen) and it would have been really nice to have been able to drive to Siggraph and not have to factor a 4 hour flight into the time or the cost involved.

olioli
08-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Hola,
I noticed that someone else didn't get that newsletter AM sent out. At first I thought that I mistyped my email on their site, but I went back and put in again. Is there any new info on there that is not on this thread.

Also, I wonder if that means that their box is full or something and not accepting any new "early registration" people :cry:

I'm sure it'll work out... :thumbsup:

jono338
08-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Gee, that was disappointing. Waiting around for the newletter, and the news is .... "no news". Well, nearly no news.

I would have thought animators should know big anticipation, small payoff = not good animation(mentor).

Just kidding. Well sort of. I'll be joining if the dollars aren't out of my orbit.

oshiroii
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Kay, I have one more question and it's not about the price. I think you wanted to hear something new :D Here it is

animboom,
I might sound less enthousiastic, but how about the second course? I subscribed to you guys and I'm really enthousiastic about this and I'd love to do it, depending on some of the detailed info ($$$ :p )I understood I'll be one of the first to know when AM will enroll, but what if I waited to hear how other people liked it? You must understand that it's quite some investment being a student and it might be an idea to wait for next "year" (I have no idea how to call this, since it can't really be compared to school) It might be good to get some good feedback on how the first students actually felt about it and experienced it. I suppose that the courses might have some flaws too. I know you work really hard to prevent this, but at my school they do that too and the e-mail server doesn't work a lot of times dispite of the hard work. (I assume they work hard on it :p)

What I mean is:
I assume that it won't be really cheap and it's the first try to do this,
it hasn't done before,
it's not tested with students for as far as I know (I'll be happy to test it. I live in the Netherlands, we could test some connection posibilities....... please ... :p).
So what if I enroll later, will I still have a little bit of privilage since I subscribe super super early?

Second question, despite of telling you guys I'd ask only one ^.^
What about 2d animation? I've seen only 3d and some drawings of a ball with legs, but do we actually make 2d animations? Since you stressed it so much, but I didn't see any.

(>_<) I've searched the whole web for a good 2d animation software package which gives you the traditional animation possibilities and not the flashstuff, just drawings, inking, cleaning up, xsheet etc. I found it!!! It's this really great 2d sofware package called Flipbook, it's trully traditional, but then with a wacom, I totally loved it, it was great, fantastic, I was like w000000t!!!, I seriously had stars in my eyes, until I found out it was over 400 bucks :banghead:

Do you use any good and affordable software? Or do you just use a scanner and a free software called VideoMach. Yes that's the way how I do it. Scanning in 157 drawins isn't cool and then you find out the arm might drag some more. re-adjust 38 frames and scan them in again. Damn, to much drag. Software, that's the sh*t!

thanks
-shiroii

clockwerkz
08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Hola,
I noticed that someone else didn't get that newsletter AM sent out. At first I thought that I mistyped my email on their site, but I went back and put in again. Is there any new info on there that is not on this thread.

Also, I wonder if that means that their box is full or something and not accepting any new "early registration" people :cry:

I'm sure it'll work out... :thumbsup:
With my situation, I was told by the AM higher ups to resubmit my e-mail and not to worry. The list isn't closed or set up for first come first serve.

I am very impressed at the attention these guys are giving this, btw. These guys are really working to make this successful. And they have that drive. You always see in these DVD extras the impossibilities they're asked to do in movie productions, and how they're able to pull it off.

It's their attention to detail that's awesome. Don't worry about the pricing. My guess is that they're doing a lot of comparing to schools from all over, and are coming up with a figure that's fair to both them and us.

cW

oshiroii
08-03-2004, 02:16 PM
I suppose you'd learn even more about animation than at school :bounce:
I saw on the Nemo DVD that the whole Pixar team was sent out scoobadiving :D That's pretty cool, but it was research, but still very cool. Bobby, did you go diving too?

animboom
08-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey, guys. Sorry if the newsletter didn't detail too much information. the big point was to get it out there and to let people know that we'll be at Siggraph.

When AM opens it is our goal to be at events like Siggraph every year. It is important to have "human interaction" as well so we totally understand this. Hopefully this will help bridge some of the gaps???

As far as "working the kinks out in the system" you will know more news about this after Siggraph. It is our goal to not launch AM until we feel we can successfully beta it with many students in it. We are currently working on this with great success and will let more info out soon.

2D animation Software for AM. We are teaching the ART of animation at AnimationMentor.com. With this in mind we are not specific to any medium. We are, for the most part, 3D animators with Stop Motion, and Traditional animation backgrounds. We understand that 90% of our students will most likely want to do CG animation. And although I can't say too much about it, we have some fun things up our sleeves for our students. :)

Suba Diving. Actually the animators didn't get to go on that trip to Hawaii. it was more for the "Lighting and visual effects" gurus. However we did go to several aquariums and had experts on fish come to talk at pixar during the nemo production. All this stuff helps keep us fresh and inspired as animators. I personally don't feel like you can ever get too much of this. hee hee. ;)

-BOOM

oshiroii
08-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Bobby, It's too bad you didn't go to hawaii, it sounded like real fun :D
I trust AM to be flawless with no kinks and I ecpects it to be perfect, but I'm just being cautioned, forgive me for that ;)

If I understood it well, you'll teach us the princeples and the art of animation and not specific teqniques of 2d, 3d, stopmotion or whatever other method. That sounds really really good. :thumbsup: I might have thought of it my self :D

Damn I wish I'd go to siggraph :sad:
I think I'll go and find work and earn a lot of money and shake your hand next year :D I will of course need to find someone to go with me, since the trip to america is kinda boring on your own :p

Thanks for the quick reply!

-shiroii

daraand
08-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey Bobby! I'll be goign to SIGGRAPH for my first time this year, and i'll defintely bechecking you guys out at the RV party and the booth ;) sounds like it'll be a blast. Will you guys have like a catalog or some things to show off at the boothes? Just curious. :D My name's david and I hope to see you there ;)!

oshiroii
08-03-2004, 11:28 PM
All of the lucky bastards going to siggraph please share all the information with me :)
:cry: wanna go too, ....... maybe next year :bounce:

alexandrecollac
08-04-2004, 12:38 AM
All of the lucky bastards going to siggraph please share all the information with me :)
:cry: wanna go too, ....... maybe next year :bounce:
Great Idea, u guys and girls that are going to Siggraph could share things with us who live far far away

agreenster
08-04-2004, 03:16 AM
ReelFX RV at 10 AM Tuesday morning?

Oh that's right, that's where you'll find agreenster!

Matias
08-04-2004, 03:45 AM
im far far away like allex!

pssss... hey! boom is from pixar.. not from dreamworks.. lol :D we should put.. only far.. we dont want him to be upset! hehe.:thumbsup:

olioli
08-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Hey agreenster,
are talking about Reel FX Creative Studios in Dallas...Reason I ask is cause I work with there.
O

oshiroii
08-04-2004, 09:38 AM
im far far away like allex!

pssss... hey! boom is from pixar.. not from dreamworks.. lol :D we should put.. only far.. we dont want him to be upset! hehe.:thumbsup:

Who said that? It's in his signature, he's mentioned it sometimes and he just said he didn't go on the PIXAR trip to hawaii :D Must be big typo

I really hope everyone will share valuable information won at siggraph, that doesn't only count for AM. I want to know all :thumbsup:
Might just be going too next year :)

agreenster
08-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey agreenster,
are talking about Reel FX Creative Studios in Dallas...Reason I ask is cause I work with there.
O

Yep..Thems the ones.

Over at CGChar they were talking about the RV thats going to be in the parking lot, and a bunch of the AnimationMentor guys are going to be there.

Must be cool working for ReelFX. (Well, it must be really cool to be working period!)

Do you know Keith Lango?

praveenn
08-04-2004, 04:03 PM
all this is wonderful dudes....

but keep in mind students of anim!............

this is no guarantee for all you budding young animators!

Sometimes you just got it...or you gotta work longer and with more effort then normal.

I've seen groups of 5-30 amazing talented people in anim. classes...all of which came

out with 5-8 peeps making it in industry.

Don't get me wrong. I think the whole thing is a fantastic idea.....really cool.

Goodluck with everything.

;)

olioli
08-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Yep, I think I met Keith...I work in the audio department, I'm one of the sound designers. I'm a big fan of this whole cg thing, so I dabble a bit on my spare time...A good friend of mine Brandon Oldenberg who pretty much is one of the senior Animators at Reelfx has been giving me some useful tips/advice. I'll have to ask them what their thoughts are regarding Animationmentor. From reading this thread this program sounds very cool, even for a new guy. Granted I love doing sound design and have no real desire to pursue animation professionally, but this seems like a good way to get a quality education at home.

I saw your reel and was very impressed, good job. I love what you did with the countdown 2 pop, very cool. Granted my opinion means absoultly nothing, but for what it's worth, I think you'll soon get a chance to animate for food.
Oliver

agreenster
08-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Hey thanks!

Too bad I'm axing that whole intro. Maybe its a bad idea? I have a new character/animation thats going to fill that spot, and I thinks its better.

Who knows though! :shrug:

mattmos
08-04-2004, 08:14 PM
For what it's worth I might keep that intro Adam, there is other stuff on your reel which could probably be dropped first... Some of the commercial work is ruined slightly by bad modelling etc, on the whole your personal work is much better!

Looking forward to seeing the new animations with your big-mouthed dude, post it up will ya!

furryspork
08-04-2004, 08:37 PM
When AM opens it is our goal to be at events like Siggraph every year.
This is great news! Next year I'm going to try to be a student volunteer at Siggraph, so hopefully I'll be able to go to some AM events at Siggraph 2005. :)

clockwerkz
08-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Agreenster, good to see your posts again here. I really love that character "Dumpy" that you created. I'd love to download the divx file, but unfortunately I'm currently on a 56k modem. I will DL it as soon as I get to my DSL service. I find your stuff inspiring, dude. Dumpy looks friggin' hilarious. Hey tell us the truth dude.. he's Mike's Grandpaw for a Pixar planned Monsters II, isn't he?? I keep hearing this old backwater voice when I see him: "In my day, we didn't have these new fangled ah-toe-moh-bills.."
Keep rocking!

cW

agreenster
08-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Ha ha! I wish. That is a pretty funny idea though. "all theeeese young wipper-de-snappers with their new-fangled gadgety-bobs! Why back in MY day we animated in the dirt with pointy sticks and we were thankful!" :D

Thanks for the nice remarks man, but I've still got a long way to go. :wip: I'm hoping to have the final animations done for Siggraph, so I'll probably get them rendered and uploaded by week's end....we'll see though. I'd like to have something good to show Mr. B. Boom Beck so maybe he could convince HR to hire me as a part-time human foot-stool...I also double as a drink holder. I can hold drinks with the best of them.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."

alexandrecollac
08-05-2004, 03:02 AM
"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."Hey, great philosophy "Dory" , well remembered, i think iīll never get tired of seeing Nemo:thumbsup: . Keep going man uīr going on the right way, i like your dumpy character a lot.

New signature

mmkelly011881
08-05-2004, 06:11 AM
it's like a signature virus!!

SheepFactory
08-05-2004, 06:23 AM
our new motto!

keenasmustard
08-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Every now and then, I get a bit disheartened and wonder whether it's worth the time and money investing in my quest to get into the CG industry. (From the point of view of how competitive it is and whether or not I have the talent.) The mention of this motto, lifted my chin a bit and brought a grin to my face! (I hope that made sense! :) ) Bring on AM!

Also, I noticed a few other people have had a few concerns about the email address they've registered with AM. I'm going to be in the same boat, as I'm about to move to the US, and of course will be getting a new email account. I read Clockwerkz's post about this, but would like to just check and make sure what we should do in this situation.

Bobby, could you please clarify this issue for us? I received your email to my current account, so I know my original registration worked.

agreenster
08-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Glad I could help lift everyone's spirits... ;)

I mumble that all the time whenever I get discouraged.

I figured I'd join the club...

Mooncalf
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey Bobby (or anyone), :)

I have a question that Matt (mmkelly011881) and I were curious about. In the "unofficial" FAQ (thanks again Jozvex for putting that together, the question: "Who are some of the animators involved in AnimationMentor.com?" is answered with this list:

Gini Santos (Pixar)
Gavin Moran (Dreamworks)
Tracie Horie (Tippett)
Jeff Vacanti (Wild Brain)
Matt Logue (WETA)
Kevin Martel (ILM)
Jeremy Cantor (Sony Imageworks)
Dylan Brown (Pixar)
Scott Robideau (Disney)
Mike Belzer (Disney)
Jay Rennie (ILM)
Mark Behm (Blue Sky)
Mark Walsh (Pixar)
Mike Gasaway (DNA)
Mariko Hoshi (PDI/Dreamworks)
Rick O'Connor (ILM)
Jeff Riley (stop motion animator)
Carlos Baena (Pixar)
David Weinstein (ESC)
Glen McIntosh (ILM)
Bobby Beck (Pixar)
Mike Thurmeier (Blue Sky)
Delio Tramontozzi (ILM)
Cameron Miyasaki (Pixar)
Pepe (Sony Imageworks)
Shawn Kelly (ILM)

I had assumed that everyone there would be a mentor once the program started. But Matt is under the impression that it's just Bobby, Carlos, and Shawn menoring, while the other animators will be contributing material, but not seeing the course through with a student.

Or perhaps it's something in between--with some of those listed animators providing mentorships, and others contributing other material?

Just curious (and still "swimmingly" excitied!)... thanks for any information! :)

- M

P.S. I've been following this thread from the beginning, and I don't recall this question being asked before... if it has, please forgive my poor, poor memory.

daraand
08-05-2004, 04:54 PM
haha agreenster! perfect motto. I'm gonna write it down on a sticky note and put it next to my monitor :P just incase I feel the need to scream at my computer o_O

oshiroii
08-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Mooncalf and Matt, I understood that all of those people can be mentors. I don't know if they'll all be mentor. But I think they'll assign some people to be mentors and those will probably be announced at siggraph.

alexandrecollac
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Just thinking ... if all they are going to be mentors, we have 26 guys and lets see, a good class should have 8 - 10 studants, so lets pick 10 (easier to calc), may be they are going to accept something about 260 people. Donīt know if iīm doing the right calc, may be each mentor will have 2 or 3 "classes", who knows.
Just trying to figure how many are going to be accepted. :D

clockwerkz
08-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Every now and then, I get a bit disheartened and wonder whether it's worth the time and money investing in my quest to get into the CG industry. (From the point of view of how competitive it is and whether or not I have the talent.) The mention of this motto, lifted my chin a bit and brought a grin to my face! (I hope that made sense! :) ) Bring on AM!

Also, I noticed a few other people have had a few concerns about the email address they've registered with AM. I'm going to be in the same boat, as I'm about to move to the US, and of course will be getting a new email account. I read Clockwerkz's post about this, but would like to just check and make sure what we should do in this situation.

Bobby, could you please clarify this issue for us? I received your email to my current account, so I know my original registration worked.
Well, since we're pulling out our fears, my biggest one is getting into the game pretty late, relatively speaking. I'm 29 going on 30, and I don't have a professional career in an art field. So my haunt is that I won't be able to compete.
But alas I keep chugging. In fact, I really wanted to work both on the July 10secondclub project, and the speed animation gig here on cgtalk, but I was tied up all month with the move from our apartment to our recently purchased townhouse, and then with the remodeling of it. As I type now, I've finally set up my computer in what will be our bedroom and set up the dsl. Sucks not being able to do anything for 2 weeks.

As far as the e-mails are concerned, Boom got back to me and let me know not to worry about the e-mail list. If you put your new e-mail on the list, you'll be fine. :-)

"Just keep swimming..." I like it. :-) Dory was the bomb.

Mooncalf
08-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Well, since we're pulling out our fears, my biggest one is getting into the game pretty late, relatively speaking. I'm 29 going on 30, and I don't have a professional career in an art field. So my haunt is that I won't be able to compete.

I'm with you all the way, brother. I just turned 28. It's about a year since I decided to really go for becoming an animator. I have no art training, and my drawing skills are abysmal.

Here's the thing, though: I have a friend who works as a professional animator, and he says "Creativity and perceived talent can come latter, perseverance and a willingness to listen and learn is best." I've heard similar things from just about everyone here at CGTalk, and any time I get to listen to any other animators.

Here's something I've NEVER heard anyone say: "If you're not super-talented to start off, and if you're not young, then give up. You have no shot, buster. Get a grocery bag and start stuffing it with other peoples' food, because that's all you're cut out for. You missed the boat." :)

Yeah, there are people starting off a lot younger than us. Yeah, there are people more talented to us. But youth and raw talent aren't the only things an animator should bring to the table. You've got a lot of other experience, and even if you think that you experience couldn't be further from animation, I'll bet it helps in ways you aren't even aware of.

Twenty-nine is not too late to start. Fifty-nine is not too late to start.

Do you love animation, and want to become a better animator? Just keep, well, swimming. :)

- M

Stychentyme
08-06-2004, 01:31 AM
*....Here's the thing, though: I have a friend who works as a professional animator, and he says "Creativity and perceived talent can come latter, perseverance and a willingness to listen and learn is best." I've heard similar things from just about everyone here at CGTalk, and any time I get to listen to any other animators.*

Mooncalf,.... I like what you said here and I'm totally with you. Getting into the game late is also one of my fears. I'm 38. I've been doing Graphic Design in some form or another for awhile now, but not animation. Funny, since that's the reason I got into art in the first place. My career has somehow steered me away from my original goal. Now that I want to re-focus myself into animation, I'm afraid I might be out of the loop, ....too late buster, ....youth will prevail.

The things on my side are that I have had some art training, .....I have been working in art-related jobs, .....and while my drawing skills could be better, they're not bad.

I love animation in all forms,.... and I want to be an animator. Hopefully us "old dogs" still have a few tricks up our sleeves.

-Stych.

clockwerkz
08-06-2004, 01:50 AM
It's refreshing to see others in the same situation. Loneliness is never any good in any form. One thing I will say about being a little older and focusing on animation.. It took me my mid-twenties to realize that I really did love animation, and that that was what I wanted to focus on. And my current career has really matured me to the level of having infinite patience in learning. Sometimes when we're young we want to do a million different things.. like me, out of high school I wanted to draw and animate.. I made a left turn here and there, and boom, I ended up as a cop. lol. Very helpful career, btw.. I've really learned to read people and read body language out of a need to survive.
So thanks Mooncalf, for the upbeat words. :-) In fact, I'm printing that post out and putting it on my motivational corkboard. Right next to a picture my wife took of me in front of Pixar. Inspiration comes from everywhere.

spakman
08-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Here's something I've NEVER heard anyone say: "If you're not super-talented to start off, and if you're not young, then give up. You have no shot, buster. Get a grocery bag and start stuffing it with other peoples' food, because that's all you're cut out for. You missed the boat." :)

Yeah, there are people starting off a lot younger than us. Yeah, there are people more talented to us. But youth and raw talent aren't the only things an animator should bring to the table. You've got a lot of other experience, and even if you think that you experience couldn't be further from animation, I'll bet it helps in ways you aren't even aware of.

Twenty-nine is not too late to start. Fifty-nine is not too late to start.

Do you love animation, and want to become a better animator? Just keep, well, swimming. :)

- M I love that optimism, but carrying this out at any age over 30 largely depends upon your health. It's much easier to abuse your body during crunch time and not cause permanent damage when you're 23 than when you're 59. Not unless you counter such things like the natural spinal disc atrophy with healthly doses of exercise.

Plus, studios are likely to prefer these younger talents simply because they're less of a liability risk, and are so jazzed that they're on a real project, they will forgoe many things to make the project happen - things that older bodies are less likely to forgive.

The trick is to get into the industry young enough so that by the time your body would have worn out, you're an art director or producer before 35. If not, time to get out that yoga book.:)

peace
d=^)

RayenD
08-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Most animators careers peak after 40.

Don't be worry about age :).

oshiroii
08-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Have you ever checked out the nine old man. I believe ken harris was still working at 70 or so. They were old too. They started young though. But it isn't about age I think. But, I'm still in a school where I learn all the CG-stuff. After that one I plan to go to the higher level of schools, that doens't really matter. What matters is that I prolly have more time then you. If you want to become real good, you'll have to practise, that'll take time. But I'd defenitally would learn to draw!!! I saw one post above mentioning he couldn't draw. you should learn it and learn some traditional animation too, if you're serious!

Stychentyme
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
*-I love that optimism, but carrying this out at any age over 30 largely depends upon your health. It's much easier to abuse your body during crunch time and not cause permanent damage when you're 23 than when you're 59. -*

Hmmm,..... I'm going to assume you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you wrote this post,.. so,... Ha, ha! :rolleyes:

I realize that any studio taking a chance hiring a 38 year old fart like me will have to make allowances for a few things, .... what with my advanced age and all. You know that after you hit 30, everything is downhill. We do have to be careful not to get too "jazzed,"..... that can really screw up the ol' pacemaker. :D

Actually,.... I wouldn't mind hearing Bobby's opinion on all this age stuff,..... seeing that he's been our main contact for Animation Mentor. Hey, Bobby, do you think people in their mid-30's trying to get into animation still have a chance?

Bentagon
08-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm absolutely certain they have. As long as their health's okay, so they can work overtime and get deadlines. This has actually already been answered in this thread: When I asked about a degree, bobby and the others told us it's not about a piece of paper. In the end it's all about your reel. Why wouldn't Pixar (or another studio, for that matter) hire a 45 year old animator who's got great skill, an amazing reel and perfect health? There's no reason not to.

- Bentagon

RayenD
08-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Why do you guys think all animators in the industry are 20 years old?

I'd say that average age is a little bit over 30, maybe even not only a little bit (talking about cg animation only). Of course I don't know all animators in the world so I can be pretty wrong:).

Age has nothing to do with it. Of course when you just start at 3x you will have it a little harder but at the same time you will have more patience, concentration and maturity and these things are very important.
I personally started doing cg (there was little or no cg character animation back then) when I was 20 something, but I know people who started at 25 or 27.

Young people right now are competing with animators from Disney for example who have years of production experience under their belts. I don't think they started at age of 5 :), so they cannot be 20 right now.

Until you can hold your pencil you can animate. That is all.

alexandrecollac
08-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I think there is no reason for this age discussion, if u are good enought and have the right attitude, why arenīt they going to hire u???

I have 21, started with cg some time ago and the only advantage that i see is that iīll have more time to learn but in rest i didnīt see why 30, 40 years old guys canīt compete in equal.

oshiroii
08-06-2004, 11:46 PM
The average age is around 30- 25. I think that because all the animators go to school first. You'll have to finish that before you can do a "real" job. The people back in the Netherlands who are completely finished with school and have a good degree of education are normally around the 25 sooo...

About the health. I think if you just take care of yourself it will be alright. Be sure you take good RSI prevention, use tools like a wacom or something. Be sure you'll be healthy. I assume you can use these tools at work too, you can always bring them with you. Wacoms fits in a bag so...

I agree that it's the skill, not the age :thumbsup:

danielh68
08-07-2004, 12:23 AM
If 25-30 is the average age of animators, where do they all go after 30? What do they do? Do they all stampede off a cliff?

I'm a 35 year old illustrator and not an animator, however, I'm sure it's just like any other artistic craft where one continues to grow through time. I'm a better artist all around, then when I was 25. I plan to continue what I do until I die.

Unlike other professions, my clients don't really care what I look like or how old I am. I could be 150, I don't think they'd care. Just as long as I can still communicate effectively and deliver on time.

With that said, I'm still puzzled by the average age of animators (25-30)? Is it because:

1. It's hard to have a solo career as an animator, because you need more people to create a product. Therefore, you have to find work in a large company?

2. Most animation is digital and the traditional animators (30+) never made the transition?

3. Companies would rather hire youth with the perception of less baggage and lower pay?

I'm just curious. Feel free to comment.

Thanks.

animboom
08-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Hey, folks. I'm just making sure I'm on the right discussion. It seems to have turned into an age debate. Hee hee.

- CLOCKWERKZ, ABOUT AGE: Personally I feel it's never too l late to start anything in life. Might just be my personal take? However here's a fun story. I got to meet Miyazaki (Director of Many great Japanese animation films, I'm sure you know) and he told a story about how he was an animator and at the age of 40 he was asked if he wanted to be a direcotr. He didn't ever think of himself as a director but he decided to try it out. I can only tell you that that guy with no experience and a BIG heart has made some of the most sincere animated films of all time (again just my opinion). So as fare as Age I really feel it's never too late to start. The average age of animators at pixar is about 35. We have some ninjas that have been animating for decades and that is amazing. Don't fret. Just follow your calling. If you believe in yourself you can do it. And yes, good attitude is a MUST.

- SIGGRAPH GOODIES: Someone asked if AnimationMentor will have brochures and the like at Siggraph. Yes, we will have this stuff and some other goodies for folks. :thumbsup:

- SIGGRAPH VOLUNTEERS: if you are a siggraph volunteer, Carlos Baena and Myself will be giving a talk with Pixar Recruiters and looking at portfolios for all volunteers interested. If you are a volunteer you know the date and time already. We hope to see some people there and we'll be excited to critique your work.

- AGREENSTER: So you will be at siggraph. We'll have to hang out my man. Thanks for all your positive energy on this thread. "just keep swimming.":)

- NEW EMAILS AND THE AM NEWSLETTER: IF you are going to be switching emails just resend your new email when you get it and if you want there is a "remove me" from the newsletter on the bottom. Or you can send mail to the newsletter and we'll remove you. I hope that clears that up?

- ARE THESE THE MENTORS?: No, these are some very big ninjas in the industry. Some of them may be mentors if they choose. But we interviewed people we respected very much and know their time is very precious. Getting this variety of input in our classes is going to be huge for our students. Trust me I know, I've seen EVERY CLASS. Our mentors will be listed in part on our next newsletter. We are not limiting the amount of mentors we have. And No, Carlos, Shawn and I are not the only mentors. Hee hee.

Word up to the peeps. I'll see some of you at Siggraph. in the mean time, keep up the good energy and do some awesome animation!

-BOOOM

mmkelly011881
08-07-2004, 02:39 AM
like a fell wind "the boom" swoops through and clears up the rumormill... hehe thanks buddy.. again.. wish i was going to siggraph.. would be kickass to meet (and maybe have a beverage or two with you all)... cool that the mentorlist is more than 3 and less than 40.

thats pretty interesting that the average age of the animators is around 35 at pixar although also pretty logical.. it usually takes a while to become one of the best in the business :)

i guess that means i have 12 years to practice :D and then the rest of my life to perfect

Matias
08-07-2004, 02:46 AM
i think we dont have to worry about our age... unless we stop watching cartoon network and feeling like a boy inside :bounce:

Mooncalf
08-07-2004, 02:49 AM
Hear hear! Thanks for the info again, Bobby.... I'll be there Wednesday at 3:00 for the big unveiling.

Super excited! :)

- M

spakman
08-07-2004, 03:10 AM
*-I love that optimism, but carrying this out at any age over 30 largely depends upon your health. It's much easier to abuse your body during crunch time and not cause permanent damage when you're 23 than when you're 59. -*

Hmmm,..... I'm going to assume you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you wrote this post,.. so,... Ha, ha! :rolleyes:
http://www.igda.org/committees/qol.php

agreenster
08-07-2004, 04:35 AM
AGREENSTER: So you will be at siggraph. We'll have to hang out my man. Thanks for all your positive energy on this thread. "just keep swimming.":)

For sure! :D I'll track you down one way or the other. This will be my first Siggraph and I couldnt be more excited. Nervous, but excited.

Why? Because my animations are still rendering.... :argh: I'm going to be burning DVD's on the plane!

daraand
08-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Lol Agreenster. I hope to se e you there too at the Animation Mentor annoucement :) You're quite an inspiration for pushign so hard to be in animation ;)

Brötje
08-07-2004, 08:15 AM
That's true!

I've just got my degree this year and I'm 24. There was a guy in my class who was 35 so there is no age to be put on becoming an animator.

Go for it!

animboom
08-07-2004, 08:56 AM
The siggraph "unveiling" is really just gonna be some small announcements with some pretty cool goodies including a presentation reel of what some of the classes look and feel like, to give a better idea to people. Mostly it's just gonna be fun to put some faces with the names.

See you there, I hope. :thumbsup:

-BOOOM

oshiroii
08-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Oh my god, I can't believe this, I fall asleep for like 5 hours and you guys build up an entire new page! :D I'll never sleep again

Now for the excitment and energetic part

Bobby, YOU'VE MET MIYAZAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
W000000000000000t that's so cool!!! I wish my name was Bobby and Beck and maybe the middle name could be something like "boom" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
The chance is really small he'll show up at Siggraph, right? :cry: I'm not going anywayz :p

I think I might be going next year, but I gotta find some intresting person to go along with me :D I have more than a year for that so :thumbsup:

I hope to hear everything about Siggraph when everyone gets back! :thumbsup:

Bentagon
08-07-2004, 07:35 PM
The siggraph "unveiling" is really just gonna be some small announcements with some pretty cool goodies including a presentation reel of what some of the classes look and feel like, to give a better idea to people. Mostly it's just gonna be fun to put some faces with the names.

See you there, I hope. :thumbsup:

-BOOOMso... has anybody got a digicam and lots of webspace and bandwith??:D
Wish I was going...
Will you also have a stand at the 3D festival next year? It'd be lots easier and cheaper for me (and oshiroii, for that matter) to get there instead of flying all the way to the US. You áre, after all, aiming for animators all around the world ;)

greetz

- Bentagon

oshiroii
08-07-2004, 10:34 PM
so... has anybody got a digicam and lots of webspace and bandwith??:D
Wish I was going...
Will you also have a stand at the 3D festival next year? It'd be lots easier and cheaper for me (and oshiroii, for that matter) to get there instead of flying all the way to the US. You áre, after all, aiming for animators all around the world ;)

greetz

- Bentagon

what's the 3d festival? Sorry I never heard about it, I'm fairly new to 3d so.... please tell me.
I don't know how expensive it would be to fly over to the US and get an hotel and got to siggraph, aaaand of course go visit LA, that's why it's so easy say that I'll be going next year :p I hope it's not too expensive and I hope my vacation will be longer next year, 'cuase else I'll have to go to school an go to siggraph. (I don't think my school would mind if I would go to Siggraph to shake Bobby's hand though:P)

Anyhow, it would be great if you'd be at 3d festival. I'm currently browsing there site, and Copenhagen is reasonable. I really really really really really really really hope you guys will be there and bobby, could you phone to miyazaki and ask if he'll come too? pleaaaaaaaaaaaase :p hahahahha :D

SheepFactory
08-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Those of you going to siggraph Pm me , lets arrange a animators get together! :D

oshiroii
08-07-2004, 10:44 PM
OMG, it seems the 3d festival has already been there and will be back next year. But I love it, I'll be there next year man!!! I love it. just check this out:

-The VFX of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
-High Dynamic Range and Realistic Lighting with NV40 (3DF)
-Hardware Accelerated Production Rendering

W00t, by the time I would have absorbed all this I'd be in room 29 for more than 3 hours :buttrock:

-Can There Be Believable Behavior for Virtual Characters?
-New Techniques of Character Skinning and Rendering for High-end Realism

These were on the same time :banghead:

-Artificial Intelligence in Commercials – Building Crowds
-Character rigging & setup for hybrid animation (Workshop)

These were on the same time too! I want that thing from harry potter 2 :thumbsup:

-Creating Oceanic Environments
-Shrek Visual FX
-The VFX of Matrix Revolutions
-Japanese Animation at Production IG
-The Future of Realtime Rendering

The list goes on and on and on and on. I want to go there man!!! Can you get there by train of something? It's so cool!

EDIT: I agree with Sheep, but only replace the Siggraph for 3d festival :bounce: :bounce:

jennifer1013
08-08-2004, 03:07 AM
I hate to bring up this age topic again - sorry!:)

The concept that you have to be 25 to be an animator - is just absurd.

I think age has nothing to do with starting a career in animation. I do agree, that it's most likely that you'll see young folks in these types of positions - but I have a feeling that it has to do with the crazy deadlines, sometimes stressful situations and long productions hours that accompany such jobs. People who are older and have famlies, don't want to have to dedicate thier lives to work; their priorities have shifted elsewhere. Of course, this isn't true for everyone - there are alot of very successful animators who have families and an career in animation - it all depends on everyone's indivudual goals, needs and wants - and being able to have a balance that works.

From my experience in a production environment - it at times is very demanding, requires long hours and working weekends. You have to really love what you do. Sometimes you're really dragged throught the ringer.

Your portfolio also stands in front of your age when you're applying for a job. The hiring manager is going to want to see your work first - the first thing that pops into thier head isn't "How old are they?" I think that the older you are, the better - you've had more life experience and most likely - more career experience to back you up (regardless if that experience was in the field you currenly seek). Showing leadership, good job performance and determination can be seen in any type of job that you do.

If you love animation, and you want to be an animator.....you'll get there. Have patience, enjoy the ride, learn along the way. If you want something bad enough - you'll get it, confidence, skill and perserverance rises above age.

Jozvex
08-08-2004, 09:09 AM
I haven't been following this age discussion too closely (shame on me for not staying current with this thread!!), but I have to say that when I did two years of '3D School' I was really amazed that there were maybe 10 people (out of 60?) that were over 40! Not that 40 is *that* old but you know what I mean. I think only one of them dropped out. The hardest thing for them (generalised of course) was learning the software. They had lots of interest, enthusiasm and talent though. Some of them ended up being fantastic modellers and texturers.

As Jennifer said, age brings experience and some of the older students had been graphic designers and sign writers for years before trying 3D, and that really gave them an edge over a lot of us 18 to 21 year olds.

Plus it was just really nice to have a mix of ages in class, as it would in a production environment. It makes for a wider range of ideas etc.

Hooray for the newsletter! Keep up the great work Bobby and the crew!

oshiroii
08-08-2004, 09:13 AM
The age depends on what you wanna do. Somehow I get the feeling that people mean, pixar animator, ILM animator or studio blur animitor with the word animator. If you look at Pixar, check their website, they're always looking for new people, but those people need at least 2 years of industry experience. You can be a fine animator, but if youv'e never worked outside school or on some good real project, you won't be as good. I don't have an animators job, but I think it brings a lot of other aspects with it besides just animating. The big companies want you to have those qualities as well, just how I think it's al set up.

I don't know if anyone thought, after reading my post, that you had to be 25 or 30. IMO it seemed reasonable to get a job around 25 - 30. I think that if you've finished school and start your first real job you'll be around 25 or 23. You might even want to go to school again, to a higher level, never stop learning! The 25-30 thing is about the age you'll have when you get your first real job after school. I think that the bigger companies won't have to many 20's people, since you need some industry experience. It is much calmer for yourself too, you're more comfortable in the inustry and all. I don't think I'd even want a job at pixar right after school, ........ I might consider it, if I was asked though :p

just my 2 cents

-shiroii

p.s I've alwasy wanted to say the 2 cent thing ^_^ hahahah :D

Stychentyme
08-09-2004, 04:48 AM
Well,.... I'm glad to hear that there doesn't seem to be any age discrimination in the animation profession. It's nice to know that so many people here feel that you can be a valuable contributor no matter what your age.

While I don't consider myself over-the-hill at 38,.... I was a bit concerned that the 3D industry was becoming more of a young persons game. Committing to school again, especially this school, has given me a lot to think about. After bouncing around the art game for the last 10 or so years,.... I find myself feeling the need for more focus in my life career-wise. Not to mention finding something I really love, and want to do.

keenasmustard
08-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Hi. After doing a rather drastic career change from the military, I'm another one who fits into the "older" category (28). I raised the same issue in AWN, and among other replies of a very similar vibe from people, I remember one guy in the industry who said that he'd prefer to employ someone a bit older, because they had "something to lose". For example, a mortgage, family etc. Interesting thought- it's looking purely from the "employer's" point of view.

mojodesign
08-09-2004, 01:06 PM
To my peeps at Siggraph,

any word yet on a launch date?...or how much $ we're lookin' to spend here?

clockwerkz
08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Wow this age thing really opened up a floodgate here. That is or was really my only fear that I had, and it seems there are a couple who had that same fear. There have been some very reassuring posts here.

Mojo: I'm with you, dude..what is the word at Siggraph? Hopefully, we have some spies that will report ASAP what is going on. I, for one, am willing to pay for credible updates. My payments would be in beer, tho.. hehehe. I know Agreenster is over there..maybe he can give us an update.

cW

oshiroii
08-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm sure he will :D

alexandrecollac
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
WOL, Iīll never get away from my computer in the weekend again, just 2 days and there are almost 3 new pages, it is been active here.

Well nothing to say, just waiting some new info.

oshiroii
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
alexandrecollac, you're a lucky guy, I'll go on a vacation next sunday and will be back saturday ev'ning (>_<) can't even imagin' how much I'll miss, no wonder they say CG-artists don't have a life ..... Else they'll miss CG-talk :D

vanlicht
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
alexandrecollac, you're a lucky guy, I'll go on a vacation next sunday and will be back saturday ev'ning (>_<) can't even imagin' how much I'll miss, no wonder they say CG-artists don't have a life ..... Else they'll miss CG-talk :DYeah, cg artists don't have a life....well, just wonder, here's my situation:
I have been working on a project for more than a month now, and generally speaking, not exaggerating the fact though, i am getting off from work around 3 a.m. evey day, and weekends are of no exception. Apart from that, we don't get paid for working-over-time. This project will probably last for another month before completion.

putting on this thread, if not too odd, just want to know bit more about my peers in other coutries, what is your working situation like...be it better or more miserable.
Ps. I am from Taiwan.

oshiroii
08-10-2004, 08:24 PM
vanlicht, Which county are you from then?

vanlicht
08-11-2004, 02:22 AM
vanlicht, Which county are you from then?

I am from Taiwan.

agreenster
08-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Wow this age thing really opened up a floodgate here. That is or was really my only fear that I had, and it seems there are a couple who had that same fear. There have been some very reassuring posts here.

Mojo: I'm with you, dude..what is the word at Siggraph? Hopefully, we have some spies that will report ASAP what is going on. I, for one, am willing to pay for credible updates. My payments would be in beer, tho.. hehehe. I know Agreenster is over there..maybe he can give us an update.

cW

No news yet! :) Hang in there guys!! Tomorrow at 3PM (LA time) they are going to make their announcements at the Computer Graphics World booth. I bumped into Bobby and Carlos and they were in the midst of finding a PA system and tightening up some last minute stuff.

I must also add that they were super nice and cool as what you'd expect! Thanks for the hook-up Bobby - you rock my world!

mmkelly011881
08-11-2004, 04:13 AM
thanks for the update Adam.. how are you enjoying the conference (with the exception of the kickass experience of being able to chill with the worlds best)

Stychentyme
08-11-2004, 04:17 AM
Hey man,.... keep us up on all the details! I've never been to a SIGGRAPH before, but I've always wanted to go. You must be having a blast.

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

Stych

digitallink
08-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Thats the way it shoud be !!!!!!!!!! cheers to whoever thgt abt this cool IDEA.

LINK

vanlicht
08-11-2004, 06:48 PM
vanlicht, Which county are you from then?well, hope hearing some sharing about you guys' working condition.

clockwerkz
08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Hey Adam,

Your on-the-spot reporting of the news is not going unnoticed, my friend. I have a cold sixpack with your name on it, bub. Either I ship it to you, or I catch you one day when we're both a year into AM, kicking ass, and hitting San Fran for some jobs!

cW

mmkelly011881
08-11-2004, 09:46 PM
the news hour is fast approaching... 6pm EST right? 3pm PST?

alexandrecollac
08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Itīs getting close. They are going to launch simultaniously in the internet??:shrug: .

3:00 p.m in LA, here in Rio de Janeiro itīs going to be 8:00 pm.

Just waiting anxiously the launch

mmkelly011881
08-12-2004, 12:27 AM
:) treading water :)

Phearielord
08-12-2004, 12:32 AM
soon now, very soooooooon :bounce:

*hovers over inbox and CGTalk*

clockwerkz
08-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Have patience, my friend..we have waited this long, soon enough we will learn. :-)

I'm glad you posted tho!

cW

bscott
08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Siggraph is a blast. Just had a great conversation w/ Shawn about Animation mentor. The school is going to be awesome, and from what i've gathered it will be at a more than fair price.
Thanks Everybody at CGW and Animation Mentor.

Brian D. Scott
-animation ninja

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 01:03 AM
WoL good news Brian, i hope that it didn,t impress too much people in Siggraph.hehehe :twisted: more chances to enter.

I need to know prices, lauch date , unroll, everything :D :argh: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mmkelly011881
08-12-2004, 01:25 AM
hopefully it will roll out as soon as i sit down at my computer when i get home... cant check my email from work :( hold off for 35 more minutes guys!! :)

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 01:28 AM
the suspense is kiiiiilllllliiiinnnngggg meeeeeeeeeeee :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Matt Kelly - iīll post here if i get some mail

furryspork
08-12-2004, 01:35 AM
the suspense is kiiiiilllllliiiinnnngggg meeeeeeeeeeee :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Me too!!! And a few more of these guys: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You're in Nashville? I'm in Nashville, too. It's times like these that I really wish I was in L.A.! :argh:

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 01:39 AM
yap! actually I'm in Joelton, TN. Kinda between springfield and clarksville. About 10-15 miles from downtown nashville. I'm definitely planning on making it out to siggraph next year!

furryspork
08-12-2004, 02:05 AM
That's awesome! I'm actually in Brentwood, so I'm probably about 10-15 miles from downtown in the opposite direction. It's good to know that there are some other CGTalkers from around here. I actually tried to start a Siggraph student chapter at my high school in downtown Nashville, but I couldn't get enough people to join.

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 02:22 AM
That's too bad about not getting enough people to join. Maybe by the time siggraph rolls around again next year we can get a nashville group together and head down to LA!

olioli
08-12-2004, 02:26 AM
assuming you get accepted in AM and your'e still attending when Siggraph '05 turns around, do you think you'll be qualified for the Student registration rate...there's quite a difference in price for the conference...

mmkelly011881
08-12-2004, 02:32 AM
are we all just waiting here? is the announcement even supposed to be tonight or is it AFTER siggraph

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 02:36 AM
I was kinda curious as to why everyone seems to be acting like it's tonight... I've been refreshing my yahoo every minute or so just in case :)

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Donīt know, i tought it was going to be today.

BUT <- big but animboon - "The siggraph "unveiling" is really just gonna be some small announcements with some pretty cool goodies including a presentation reel of what some of the classes look and feel like, to give a better idea to people. Mostly it's just gonna be fun to put some faces with the names. "

furryspork
08-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Quote from Animation Mentor Newsletter: "We will be announcing the official launch date at the AnimationMentor.com event at the CGW booth for Siggraph."

The newsletter also says that the AM unveiling at the CGW booth will be at 3PM on Wednesday, August 11th.

I think this is why a lot of people are expecting news today. Personally, I would love to know what the official launch date is, if anyone has found out yet.

mojodesign
08-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Well no, I don't think any official anouncement was suppose to be sent out via email tonight....

We're just hoping that someone who was at the Animation Mentor presentation today can bring us some new info. I think they were suppose to announce a launch date and/or duscuss in further detail the prices.

It's just an AM fix that we envious junkies need...just to feel as much in the loop as the peeps at Siggraph.

-j

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Soooo admissions aren't opening tonight then.. :cry:

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 03:01 AM
animboom _ "Just for the record, we're not going to be registering students at Siggraph. However, we will be announcing the offical launch date at Siggraph. "

I took it from some pages back here in this thread

and this

"As far as "working the kinks out in the system" you will know more news about this after Siggraph. It is our goal to not launch AM until we feel we can successfully beta it with many students in it. We are currently working on this with great success and will let more info out soon. '

:argh:

mojodesign
08-12-2004, 03:01 AM
"Soooo admissions aren't opening tonight then.."

oh god, I hope not. I don't get paid til Friday.

-j

FunBucket
08-12-2004, 03:08 AM
oh god, I hope not. I don't get paid til Friday.Well, I'm hoping it'll work like a college admission does. Sign up, and then where it asks how I will be paying I can check in the "Financial Aid" or "Payment Plan" option. MAYBE!? So I wouldn't have to just hand over the grand total right THEN. That's what I'm hoping anyways... Still though, I'd need a first payment :hmm:

mmkelly011881
08-12-2004, 03:16 AM
i wasnt expecting sign ups to be tonight.. just hoping that someone at siggraph would send us up the info....

unless they are hoarding it to themselves :twisted:

Bullseye
08-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Hey Guys,
Just got home from a 5 hour drive from LA, had to post up here so that everyone is up to date on the current news from Siggraph. Bobby, Carlos & Shawn let me know if this is not ok to post, I think it is pretty much widespread news now :)

Wow what a turnout at the "Computer Graphics World" booth for animationmentor.com. I was there about 15 minutes before the presentation bugging the guys. A crowd was quickly gathering before the guys came out, then multiplied to block people walking in three directions around the booth. I have to say that Bobby, Shawn and Carlos are really awesome guys! They are so excited about the program, downright giddy as a matter of fact. They all took the time to shake lots of hands and answer tons of questions for the public today. They also showed some really great tidbits of content from various lessons throughout the classes they will be offering. The content looks amazing and also very entertaining to watch, for instance its not just a classroom with a whiteboard. They are constantly going out in the field to film real footage to study and share with the students.

The Big News!
Animation Mentor will be accepting signups in December of this year, and will be beginning classes in January! One of the big questions during the Q&A with the guys was cost of the courses. They assured us that this was one of the things that they are working on the hardest. Shawn said that they are continuing to improve AM, which in turn takes more time and money. Therefore the price is continually being reevaluated, this just means that the price for tuition is still somewhat up in the air. (I hope that is an ok explanation) I'm sure this will be the next bit of info to be spread to the students, as well as financial aid info. The second bit of information is that www.cgw.com (http://www.cgw.com), "Computer Graphics World" is going to be covering the progession of the program, and will be hosting Q&A with the guys on their website. People can login to www.cgw.com (http://www.cgw.com) starting sometime is september to ask any questions they may have for the guys. Pretty cool stuff

During the Q&A at the "Computer Graphics World" booth the guys were giving away free AM T shirts which I gotta say kick ass! As soon as the presentation was over I immediately put mine on and walked around the exhibition. I got so many people asking me if I worked for AM which I replied, "I WISH!" also got lots of stares and questions about the program, which I had no problem explaining because I am super psyched. Walking back to my car to head home to beat rush hour I ran into Shawn and Bobby crossing the street, (all three having the AM t-shirts on, and all with huge grins on our faces) I get an incredibly positive feeling from Shawn, Bobby and Carlos. These are guys you just wanna hang out with, having them as teachers will be just as awesome!

I think that covers everything, even after a five hour drive home in the dark I am still amped and cant wait to start this program.

Carlos, Bobby, and Shawn you guys rock!! :buttrock:

Thanks,
Dustin (Bullseye)

Phearielord
08-12-2004, 07:33 AM
brillaint!!
thanks bullseye!!!!!:bounce:

since they're only starting in january, i actually could've gone to siggraph this year after all!!
doh!

anyway, i hope i can get a student discount for next year's siggraph!! :thumbsup:

olioli
08-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks man for the heads up...just by reading these last few posts, you could really feel the anxiety/excitement. It's good to know that if sign ups are not until Dec. then that'll give us some time to actually save some money. Hopefully the AM crew will shoot out some more news soon :thumbsup:

Jozvex
08-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Yay! More time to save up! Hehe.

And boy, I've got lots of FAQ updating to do!

jono338
08-12-2004, 08:50 AM
January next year??!? Sheesh. Not happy, Jan!

So much for being excited. Well, back to the boring stuff.

keenasmustard
08-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey, thanks heaps for that update Bullseye. You lucky so and so. I'll pay you $50 for your t-shirt! :) January will be perfect for me! I'm moving from Australia to Florida in late November, so it should give me a bit of a chance to settle in and fire up a broadband connection ready for AM. I'm so excited! Does anyone else actually get almost emotional about this everytime there's more exciting info released?? By the way, I envy every one of you at SIGGRAPH. I'm making a point to have some money aside to travel over for the next one, now that I'll at least be on the right continent!

oshiroii
08-12-2004, 11:43 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAa

Bullseye, many thanks man, your post has got so much positive vibrations that you made my day :D I thought they had updated the AM site too, so I went to check it, and while it was loading I almost didn't breath 'cuase of the excitment.

January is like totally perfect. I'm actually gonna get a job, so I'll have a lot of money in december and I've got a vacation in January :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA

I'll be happy all day :thumbsup:

mmkelly011881
08-12-2004, 01:09 PM
cool.. although i wish it was starting sooner... like, tomorrow :)

Ejecta
08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Me too!!! And a few more of these guys: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You're in Nashville? I'm in Nashville, too. It's times like these that I really wish I was in L.A.! :argh:
Hey guys Im in Nashville too. You guys gotta come buy the studio some time.

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Tanks for the info Bullseye

but What iīm gonna do until January???????? :sad:

Well Bobby, Shawn and Carlos at least give us some good exercises of animation to we try at home.

5 months and counting to go

Bullseye
08-12-2004, 04:46 PM
More than happy to share guys, I was so pumped I had to tell someone!!

In the next 5 months think about the prep we can do before starting the class:

Reading Books aka "Animators Survival Kit", "The Illusion of Life" and many more
Drawing, maybe taking a sketch class at a Junior College, Daily sketchs at CGTalk
Getting more familiar with the software you plan to use
Saving money for Tuition, any materials you may need for the class
Entering into animation sessions here at CGtalk and www.10secondclub.org (http://www.10secondclub.org)
Feel free to add more to this list!
I'm really glad that everyone is as enthusiastic about this class as I am. I hope we can sort of band together and keep eachother motivated and prepared for the classes that will be here in no time!

Cheers,
Dustin

oshiroii
08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm really glad that everyone is as enthusiastic about this class as I am. I hope we can sort of band together and keep eachother motivated and prepared for the classes that will be here in no time!

I totally agree with this. It'd be nice to have a sort of animators group, so everybody can help everybody. We could talk over MSN or something like that, would anyone want such a thing? I really like that idea :thumbsup:

What you can do until January is:

Hope you'll get in
visit CG-talk
as Bullseye said, enter the 10sec club and show us the work
Do a lot of animation exercises.
Do not think you won't have to practise, just because most of it will be covered in AM, practise is good, so spend the whole day practising, (you DO want to get a super job, right?
Ensharpen your techiques
absorb every little bit of information you cross on your path
study some demoreels, dinsney, warner or whatever animation u like, study live motion

At least that's what I'm gonna do :) and I'm gonna buy stop staring :D

alexandrecollac
08-12-2004, 06:01 PM
I totally agree with this. It'd be nice to have a sort of animators group, so everybody can help everybody. We could talk over MSN or something like that, would anyone want such a thing? I really like that idea :thumbsup:

I Like the idea, my mail at msn is alexandrecollaco@hotmail.com so if someone want to add, we can exchange experience.

Bentagon
08-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Don't know where I got this link from (maybe even from somewhere within this thread), but you should try it out if you're new to animation.

http://www.awn.com/tooninstitute/lessonplan/lesson.htm

I've been reading and testing them the last week, and it's amazing how much I've learned from so little things being said. Everytime I watch an animation now, I see all those things explained, and it's a great feeling to notice a single frame and knowing why it's actually added!

I've looked at some animation reels lately too, and when something looks strange, I can actually see why it does so, and what the animator should've done to get it right. And that from onely a couple of hours of reading/study!

- Bentagon

oshiroii
08-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Bentagon, Thanks for the site, I already knew it, but I gave it another try, I looked into it in depth and the tutorials are quite amazing. It explains a lot of stuff in a really fast way and some nice tips sliped trough, for example, the neck is always in front of the body, not right above the shoulders. It seems kinda obvious, but I hadn't really realized it, until I read it. Great site

alexandrecollac, Thanx, I'll add you tommorow morning, gonna sleep now so no point of adding you now :D

Anyone else wanna joing?
My email is, oshiroii@hotmail.com add me if you want :thumbsup:

-shiroii

Phearielord
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
hey, msn is a great idea!

it's obvious we're all super excited about this, so it'll be good to feed off of each other's excitement.....and to share tips :)

anyway, mine's phearielord77@hotmail.com

:bounce:

olioli
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
dang, I have a mac so I can't use msn...:banghead: but here is my yahoo address
oli_allstar@yahoo.com

Thanks again :bounce:

AjaBogdanoff
08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow, January.... I know what I want for Christmas this year. ;) ;) ;)

clockwerkz
08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey all,

I don't completely understand what's going on, but count me in anyways! Hehehe.. we're all networking up to MSN to do a kind of animationmentor-before-opening-support-group thing? Sounds pretty cool.. I have Instant Messenger, but I'll set up MSN with something.

Ok, I set up MSN under clockwerkzstudio. :-)

cW

Mooncalf
08-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Hey y'all,

I don't have MSN, so I guess I won't be joining into this new-burgeoning network... but I'll be right here, fist pounding the air in excitement with the rest of everyone else. :)

Just wanted to add another item to the "things to do until January" list:

* Learn which button on your DVD remote is "frame advance," and then watch all your Pixar, Dreamworks, Disney, Blue Sky, and all your other animation DVDs frame by frame. Pick a scene. Watch it slowly, over and over... meditate on it. Learn why one frame leads into the next. Look for the frames that seem "wrong" when paused, but really add to the energy of an action when played at proper speed.

And yes, for heavens' sake:

* ANIMATE!! Don't just sit there reading, studying, learning... actually get out your mouse, your pencil, your armature, whatever, and DO IT! Filling your head with terms and theory is good and fine, but it won't make you a better animator unless you apply it! (I'm guilty of this myself... so please forgive me if I'm trying to self-motivate a bit) Sit down and animate, and FEEL it.

Here's hoping January comes along quickly, and we all find ourselves side-by-virtual-side in the AM.com classroom, eh?

- M

alexandrecollac
08-13-2004, 12:48 AM
* ANIMATE!! Don't just sit there reading, studying, learning... actually get out your mouse, your pencil, your armature, whatever, and DO IT! Filling your head with terms and theory is good and fine, but it won't make you a better animator unless you apply it! (I'm guilty of this myself... so please forgive me if I'm trying to self-motivate a bit) Sit down and animate, and FEEL it.

I know what are u talking about, i study a lot reading, watching and i have lots of the animation conceps in my mind. But i have this real problem that i dinīt start to animate. I think i need someone to say "Do a bouncing ball test now" or "Give an emotion to this flour sack" or make this guy lift that heavy thing" AAARRRGHH :argh::argh: help me .....

clockwerkz - i think the idea is exactly this, create a suport group to motivate each other, we could think about exercises practice and then comment, we can ask Bobby, Shawn and Carlos for comments too :twisted: hehheh :deal: AM for free...:twisted:

clockwerkz
08-13-2004, 01:20 AM
Hey y'all,

I don't have MSN, so I guess I won't be joining into this new-burgeoning network... but I'll be right here, fist pounding the air in excitement with the rest of everyone else. :)

Just wanted to add another item to the "things to do until January" list:

* Learn which button on your DVD remote is "frame advance," and then watch all your Pixar, Dreamworks, Disney, Blue Sky, and all your other animation DVDs frame by frame. Pick a scene. Watch it slowly, over and over... meditate on it. Learn why one frame leads into the next. Look for the frames that seem "wrong" when paused, but really add to the energy of an action when played at proper speed.

And yes, for heavens' sake:

Here's hoping January comes along quickly, and we all find ourselves side-by-virtual-side in the AM.com classroom, eh?

- MAmen to that. You're absolutely right..we must practice what we can beforehand. I'm working on mechanics.. I submitted an entry to 10secondclub in June, and it wasn't too hot. I realized I had to work on my mechanics. So I'm doing this simple animation with packageman from rigging101. He's sitting up on a box. For some reason, my site is not updating the page.. as soon as I get it worked out, I'll post the link.

Thanks for the tip on advance framing..cool idea!

cW

Hey alexandre.. "Do a bouncing ball... work on ease in and ease out.. do it now!" If no one will tell you do to it, I'll do it. ;-)

Ok, I posted up my animation, if anyone wants to crit.. it's here: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=161751

keenasmustard
08-13-2004, 02:03 AM
LMAO. I thought I was the only one who sat on here for hours reading stuff, or flicked through my Animator's Survival Kit, only to realise several days later, that I hadn't actually put pen to paper or mouse pointer to screen! I'm certainly not ready to submit anything in 3D to the 10 Second Club, but I found just listening to the sound files and coming up with ideas gave me heaps of inspiration to try something new. In fact, your mention of 10S.C. just now has motivated me to actually follow this one through and enter this time (will have to be in 2D).

I'm in on the MSN thingie too! mine is joblogz@hotmail.com

Thanks for the tips of what to do while we wait for January to roll around. Aja B: that's a good idea for Christmas! Maybe we could all start a fund with our families- a bit like a wedding gift registry. "Help little Johnny to go to Animation School". :) Another thought that I forget every year when family ask me what I want for Christmas: There are heaps of books on Amazon that I'd love to add to my collection (The Illusion of Life is one of them. It's so expensive here!). I keep meaning to make a wishlist on Amazon so that people can get me stuff from on there!

SheepFactory
08-13-2004, 03:18 AM
WOW!

Just came back from siggraph , it was awesome this year.

Animation Mentor preview KICKED ASS! , more people gathered than I have seen elsewhere.
I cant wait for it to start january! , Like mooncalf said (was great to meet you too man :) ) no need to wait idle , keep working on those animations , we have a animation session here , all of you should join.

PS: these guys can dance too! , wish I had pictures from the Blur party , it was such a blast :D

keithlango
08-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Animation is a language. One can study a language locked away all day via textbooks and such. But all they'd get is book knowledge. They'd still never grasp it. And if they heard the new language in use they couldn't follow it . The best way to learn a language is to become immersed in the culture that uses that language everyday. Soon you stop thinking in terms of how the "words" compare to a language you understand and you start to just understand the new language natively. Then once you get to that point all the subtleties and nuances of the language in use can be understood. It's the difference between saying (or understanding) "Hello, friend." and "Yo, wuzzup, dog?". Both mean the same thing, one version has flavor, nuance, culture, style. So what does this dribble mean?

The best way to learn animation, to understand it, is to do it. A lot. And then ask for the feedback from others to point out what you don't see. And then animate more. And then, animate some more. And when you've done that, go ahead and try to animate some more. When we start learning animation we're struggling to say "Hello, friend." with our work. Most initial efforts end up saying something like "Hlloeeo furoondeend?". But keep working it and get immersed in doing it long enough and the time comes when your animation work can say "Hello, friend.". And then after even more doing and more doing and more doing, someday (if you're blessed with talent) your animation will say "Yo, wuzzup dog?" and people smile because your work has that spark of life. The sooner you start, the better. Don Graham (old time Disney drawing teacher from the way back days) had a saying: "Every one of us has 100,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get those out of the way the better for everybody involved." That's just as true in animation. We have HUNDREDS, perhaps THOUSANDS of bad scenes in us. Don't wait til January to get started. That's silly. Get those nasty bad animation tests out of your system now, not while you're paying a significant chunk of money to be told to do it. Don't just throw money at these guys out of hero worship thinking their greatness will rub off on you. It won't (even though these guys are all genuinely groovy cats who are worth the admiration. :) ). They got their greatness from God's hand and their own hard work. They animated. A ton. Ask them sometime about how many nights they stayed up til sunrise working their craft, even after they'd gotten professional gigs as animators during the day. Your greatness will come not from AM, but from God's hand and your hard work. Don't wait for AM to make you a great animator. It can't. It can give you tools, it can give you experienced eyes looking at your work, it can give you help, but it can't make you a good animator. That's on your shoulders and the day to begin it has arrived, even if January is still 5 months off.

-k

FloydBishop
08-13-2004, 04:32 AM
In Texas, they say "Howdy". Get with the program, Lango!

agreenster
08-13-2004, 05:04 AM
PS: these guys can dance too! , wish I had pictures from the Blur party , it was such a blast :D

:bounce:

You know it dude.....good times! It was cool to meet ya!

erilaz
08-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Animation is a language. .....

.....even if January is still 5 months off.

-k
And BREATHE!!! :D

Well said Keith. Very well said indeed.

Jozvex
08-13-2004, 05:20 AM
"Every one of us has 100,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get those out of the way the better for everybody involved."

Oooh I like that one! Thanks Keith!!

And I've updated the unofficial FAQ with the info from the newsletter etc. I haven't marked which questions have been updated, but new people will probably read the whole thing anyway.

http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/am_faq.html

RobW720
08-13-2004, 05:47 AM
hey, im down for the whole networking thing

feel free to IM me on MSN

wilson_arts4614@yahoo.com

cant wait till January

sormint
08-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks Keith. I know I needed that kick in the pants.

I want in on this AM network too. I'll be in school in January, but who knows. I'm stoked about AM even if I don't get in on the first batch of classes.

sormint@hotmail.com

Bullseye
08-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Count me in on this group!!

dmoranda@redshift.com

Cheers,
Dustin

RayenD
08-13-2004, 09:37 AM
PM me guys please, I'd like to praticipate, but I don't have MSN and have no idea what is it? I'd be very glad if someone can explain it it me.

Jozvex
08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey guys, why not start a Yahoo group or something? I have MSN, but with a Yahoo group people who don't could join in too.

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Jozvex, How does this YahooGroup work? I'm gonna look into it myself after I posted this, but it might be a good idea to have something like that. If it's truly a YahooGroup it might be more effecient than MSN. What do you guys think?

Keith, thanks for the info. The thing with 100.000 drawings is nice :D AM, can give you experience and put you on the right track in a fast way, but its up to you whether you follow that track and practise enough to become a true animator.

EDIT:

I just checked out Yahoo.com and the only info I found about "group" was this

What is a Group?
The easiest way for groups of people to communicate on the Internet
- Discuss sports, health, current events, and more
- Share photos & files, plan events, send a newsletter
- Stay in touch with friends and family

It might be a good idea, if it would mean we could also talk together as a group and not as individuals. We coul make some assigments every week or something, than critueqe them, study etc.

What do you guys think?
Would like your opinion, before opening a new group :D

alexandrecollac
08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
I like a lot this goup idea, but i was thinking, we have an exelent forum here so why not use it?? we can talk with some moderator to fix a topic like AM Group of study in the animation sectionor some like that.
We can start from the begining with basic bouncing balls and pushing it hard as we evolve, we can organize it like one exercise per week, we post our tests get crits and make it better. With this we gave opportunity to everyone participate even the guys that are in a higher level can start from the beginig and fix some basic problems or just comment and wait for more advanced exercises. Iīm not agaisnt this sessions here anyway, i like the idea of this sessions a lot, i was going to participate in this session 8 but when i started i saw that i need to try the basics first.
So, The idea is to start with a topic with basic ideas and chalenge and train our skills to a higher level until AM January.

Post ur ideas to we discuss another options too.

Hey Keith, tnxs for the post.

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
It might be an idea to do that sort of thing in the forums here. Maybe we could fix a sub forums in the Animation forum, speciallyufor basic practises. And make threads every week.

I don't think we'd neceserely need a special sub-forum, but it would be a little bit more organized that way.

How are we gonna deside which exercise to do and when? We could do a vote, like week one, we make a walkcycle, in the weekend we put up a vote what's gonna be next and on monday we'll do the results.

We could also put something in it like a 10 sec club exercise. We just pick a sound file and use that as practise.

We could study a scene from monsters inc and try to fake it. Not rotoscope, just watch, analyze and make notes, sketches, thumbs, charts, find breakdowns, keys, extremes, inbetweens etc and then try to make the animation yourself.

This is a great idea :D

ash static
08-13-2004, 02:12 PM
I am new to the thread so i hope i am not repeating an information.

Was the announcment of AM recorded so i can view it on yahoo or something?

thanks

ash

alexandrecollac
08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
It might be an idea to do that sort of thing in the forums here. Maybe we could fix a sub forums in the Animation forum, speciallyufor basic practises. And make threads every week.

I don't think we'd neceserely need a special sub-forum, but it would be a little bit more organized that way.

How are we gonna deside which exercise to do and when? We could do a vote, like week one, we make a walkcycle, in the weekend we put up a vote what's gonna be next and on monday we'll do the results.

We could also put something in it like a 10 sec club exercise. We just pick a sound file and use that as practise.

We could study a scene from monsters inc and try to fake it. Not rotoscope, just watch, analyze and make notes, sketches, thumbs, charts, find breakdowns, keys, extremes, inbetweens etc and then try to make the animation yourself.

This is a great idea :D
Yes, this is the idea. I think we can decide an exercise and post the WIP during the week, and in the weekend we post our final work and get the comments about it. We can start basically with a ball going up and down with stretch and squash then alter just the timing, spacing or both to see what we can get. Make this ball interact with something like a wall or other ball. Try to take some emotion from a Juicebox then normal walks.. and keep evolving. It sounds like the animation sessions that we already have here but starting from the begining, because try to act without having a solid foundation on the basics is sometimes frustating, i know it. And everyone can participate and give ideas too.

The idea of fix a topic is to get it more organized. The vote could be a good idea too but i think that the best is to get lot of reply from your test and see the others tests too. Just like AM is going to be and the forums are made for, but with an organization to learn step by step from the begining. Just keep swim...

Itīll be good the see others ideas too.:thumbsup:

Remi
08-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Are you talking about something like the animation sessions that already are put on in the animation section? If i'm not mistaken...you can pair up and work on those...never had anything in the rules that said you couldn't. Just curious...but the AM GROUP sounds like a good idea to me....i'm in:)

daraand
08-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Totally awesome ideas guys, I met a bunch of you at the show too. One thing I'll add to prepping (or like however many I think of:)

ACT!!! IMPROV!!! Go out there and feel your character
Read, Understand characters
ACT SOME MORE :)!
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
And one of the coolest things @ Siggraph was when the Jim Henson guy (sorry I JUST got off the plane, suffering some Let jag... :confused: ) pulled out his Gonzo character and acted him out. Beautiful work. Absolutely beautiful. So I encourage you guys to try and find that spark that makes characters come alive, wether it be a pen you see you can act with or something.. or just watch lots of cartoons :D either way, its the illusion of life ;)!

Bentagon
08-13-2004, 04:52 PM
This group thing is a great idea. As for exercices, I think the best idea would be to look on the net for some things that are interesting. For example that link to "larry's toon institute". Or we could ask artists that are attending art school what exercices they get. For example, on www.landisfields.com (http://www.landisfields.com), landis tells what assignement he got to practice basic animation, and shows his result. Eg. the first ones were really interesting: create a canonball, plastic ball and balloon with nothing but the circle. This gives so many great possibilities, while keeping it basic and letting you think about how things should act/react and what extra character you can give to things by certain movements.

- Bentagon

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I think it's different from the session already present. Those sessions don't really work on techniques or timing. Of course they do, but they don't.

Uhm explenation: I've looked over one and it was more like an assignment to do.
People do the assignment and get critiques: "wow, good job man :thumbsup:" others might say: "you might make that arm twist a little bit more back and there is a strange movement in the head around frame 58"
The way I understand this group will be is more of a study thing. You get the assignment like:"make a bouncing ball, the ball is plastic and it's a happy, shiny red ball" Then as a group we go over the process of:"Hmm, what does a ball look like, when in the air, when hitting the ground, when jumping back up? Oh wait a sec, it's plastic, hmm what does a plastic bal look like? How much should I squas or stretch, should I squash, stretch? It's happy, how does a happy ball look like?" all that kind of things. Oposite to:" yes it looks good, great work" but more:" yes it looks good, now why did you do it that way?"

I think the point is not to work together and show eachother animations, but study together to stay motivated and show eachother the results of the study like:"Ok, I've tried to fake the Finding Nemo scene, where dori says:"relaaaax" I've found that she moves down, just a bit left, and then up. It's a smooth motion, but the going down is faster than the going up. If you looks carefully you'll see that Marly (or whatever his name is, I forgot:blush:) Flips on his back and back to normal. Then we take a look at, why is it like that, what's the anticipation? broken joints? velocity change? popping? snapping? facial expresion? eye movements? WHY?

of course the finding nemo scene was an example, but I suppose you get the point.

Remi
08-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Oshiroii....that's sounds great...I would just like to see the follow through on that...learning from example and breaking down shots....would the involvement be good? Maybe. Would it help overall? Of course. I personally would be all for it and would participate alot.

As for the sessions....it is more of critiquing atmosphere...I wouldn't say fanboyish...but I do think it calls for more focused crits...which is what I think might happen in the AM Study Group too....maybe.

Whatever happens...i'm sure it'll be a positive learning experience for those involved:)

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I think it will be a good experience indeed.
From the looks of it a lot of people would like such a thing. I think it's time to do a get together on something like MSN, or a chat somewhere, maybe IRC and make some arrangements. Make it clear what the purpose is, where we'll be doing this (on the forum, yahoo group whatever is the best) and pick a date for the first study. I hate to say this, but I'll be on a vacation from sunday to saturday :blush: kind of inconvenient, BUT vacations are nice and cool ans sw33t and they r(_)l,l,3 819 71(\/)3 :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

animboom
08-13-2004, 08:47 PM
A quick "BOOM!"

Thanks to Bullseye for the informative update! Haa haa, was cool to meet you, too!!

Just woke up... Uh... I mean, just got back from Siggraph. It was a blast to meet so many people that I've only emailed with or met on the forums. Finally being able to put the faces to the names was great.

We're super happy about the response. It gave us the extra BOOST we needed to keep us truckin' along. It's hard to work on something for so long and not really know how people will take it. We're just so happy to have the support that we've had so far, and not just from potential students but professionals in the industry as well.

I wish you could have all been there. We gave away a lot of mini posters, brochures, over 250 Tshirts and talked until I had no voice (haa haa, litterally. Ask Agreenster!).

The blur party ruled and it was fun dancing and just having a blast with some of the nutty folks from this list, SheepFactory, Agreenster, etc! was really a huge highlight for me.

The Animation Goup sounds like a good idea. SheepFactory's post about the animation sessions that exist here seem like a good place to start, too? Or 10secondclub.org. The key to being a great animator is to study, practice, animate, feedback, refine, study, animate.... and so on. Supporting each other and helping each other out is also one HUGE key ingredient.

We'll keep you all updated on everything as new news comes in. Thanks again and just keep swimming! ;)

-BOOM

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Could you posibly make me more feel like I missed something? :p

Remi
08-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Wish I could've been there to Boom....sounds like it was a great time:)

daraand
08-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Haha Bobby. No doubt this was awesome. The fact you answered every question still amazes me ;) I can hardly wait. God you guys were jumping all over the place too! Rock on, the group we had there was defintely awesome./me begin grogginess from waking up

show
08-13-2004, 10:34 PM
nice one bentagon, landis's site is awesome!

wish i could of been at siggraph, great to see animation mentor develop like this bobby, keep it up

oshiroii
08-13-2004, 11:20 PM
:buttrock: I fixed us an account :buttrock:

together with alexandrecollaco I desided to go for the Yahoo groups.
Why? Becuase it's a little bit more organized and I think it's a little easier to arrange.

features:

we can post our own polls in a special poll section
we've got a nice little forum, where we can place exercise threads etc.
we've got a live chat! Which is really good! We could pick a date and time to meet and we could talk to eachother withouth MSN messenger. I already tested it with alaxander and it works fine
We have a calander option on which we can put dates of exercises, meetings, discusions or whatever
We can upload files. I'm still working on this 'cuase I'm not sure we can upload vids, anyway, we've got ourselfs a nice 20 MB. I think we'd need to put our vid files on a differant site (namely you own host, most internet providers connections come with a free host :D)
Anyone can join, since it's not over MSN, and we can still chat!
We've got a photoalbum (not that it's usfull, but if you like you can post some funny pic of yourself :D)

You're prolly dying to know the link, here it is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/am_animation/

Hope you guys are intrested!
-shiroii

clockwerkz
08-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Animation is a language. One can study a language locked away all day via textbooks and such. But all they'd get is book knowledge. They'd still never grasp it. And if they heard the new language in use they couldn't follow it . The best way to learn a language is to become immersed in the culture that uses that language everyday. Soon you stop thinking in terms of how the "words" compare to a language you understand and you start to just understand the new language natively. Then once you get to that point all the subtleties and nuances of the language in use can be understood. It's the difference between saying (or understanding) "Hello, friend." and "Yo, wuzzup, dog?". Both mean the same thing, one version has flavor, nuance, culture, style. So what does this dribble mean?

The best way to learn animation, to understand it, is to do it. A lot. And then ask for the feedback from others to point out what you don't see. And then animate more. And then, animate some more. And when you've done that, go ahead and try to animate some more. When we start learning animation we're struggling to say "Hello, friend." with our work. Most initial efforts end up saying something like "Hlloeeo furoondeend?". But keep working it and get immersed in doing it long enough and the time comes when your animation work can say "Hello, friend.". And then after even more doing and more doing and more doing, someday (if you're blessed with talent) your animation will say "Yo, wuzzup dog?" and people smile because your work has that spark of life. The sooner you start, the better. Don Graham (old time Disney drawing teacher from the way back days) had a saying: "Every one of us has 100,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get those out of the way the better for everybody involved." That's just as true in animation. We have HUNDREDS, perhaps THOUSANDS of bad scenes in us. Don't wait til January to get started. That's silly. Get those nasty bad animation tests out of your system now, not while you're paying a significant chunk of money to be told to do it. Don't just throw money at these guys out of hero worship thinking their greatness will rub off on you. It won't (even though these guys are all genuinely groovy cats who are worth the admiration. :) ). They got their greatness from God's hand and their own hard work. They animated. A ton. Ask them sometime about how many nights they stayed up til sunrise working their craft, even after they'd gotten professional gigs as animators during the day. Your greatness will come not from AM, but from God's hand and your hard work. Don't wait for AM to make you a great animator. It can't. It can give you tools, it can give you experienced eyes looking at your work, it can give you help, but it can't make you a good animator. That's on your shoulders and the day to begin it has arrived, even if January is still 5 months off.

-kHi Keith,

I really like your analogy to learning a language. You're absolutely right when you say that it is better to emerse yourself in the language as opposed to just reading it from books. I remember when I took French wayyyy back in high school, we watched a video of a group of students who just basically went to France and had to learn the language to "survive," if you will.
But now here's the catch.. and this is what I'm going through.. when you're totally emersed in learning a language, you are speaking with people who more than likely were born speaking that language.. the pros. I have been practicing, but I find it hard to get a good crit on my work. I don't have any access to a decent program of study in my neck of the woods to learn character animation from. So it's hard to learn like this because one may be doing something wrong, or learning the wrong way to do something. So of course, where nothing can replace good ol' sweating it out practice, nothing can replace proper guidance.
Thank you, btw, for your website. Your tutorials have been very intuitive and very helpful!

cW

agreenster
08-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I wish you could have all been there. We gave away a lot of mini posters, brochures, over 250 Tshirts and talked until I had no voice (haa haa, litterally. Ask Agreenster!)...The blur party ruled and it was fun dancing and just having a blast with some of the nutty folks from this list, SheepFactory, Agreenster, etc! was really a huge highlight for me.

Super-fun times man! I'll never forget it!

Off to work on this months 10SecondClub...

alexandrecollac
08-14-2004, 09:55 PM
We changed the link of the animation study group , because of organization problems.

Here is the new link - http://animationshare.proboards30.com/

Soon when we get things working we will post this in the CGTalk news to everybody knows.

See u there :thumbsup:

oshiroii
08-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Yup, we've got ours own little animation study/exercise forum :thumbsup:
(don't worry, I'll still be here everyday :D )

Bentagon
08-14-2004, 10:39 PM
wow, sorry alexander and oshiroii, but I wouldn't rush this new(est) forum. I think we should keep it to the Yahoo thing until we got a clear view what we want to do. Let's just keep a discussion about the organisation and all this on the yahoo forum, and then we'll see what's the best thing to do. If we go changing back and forth between those forums, we might never get there :hmm:

anyways, can't wait for the next AM newsletter :bounce:

- Bentagon

oshiroii
08-14-2004, 11:05 PM
After talking to you I must agree with you. We're being to enthusiastic about this and going way to fast. We're probably confusing to many people :banghead:

I think we shoul first consider some possiblities and make it all work and then announce. :D I'm jus too happy 'bout this.

So we should stick with the yahoo thing for now I think.

furryspork
08-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Umm... okay, I think Oshiroii and I have come to an agreement that we are going to use my site until we can come to a final decision about where the forum should ultimately be.

At the very least, it's easier for everyone to discuss and leave suggestions about where the pre-AM group should be on my site than it is on Yahoo, because on Yahoo, we can't even separate the posts out into threads!

I've changed the preferences on my forum to allow guests to post at least for the first couple of weeks, so that everyone can post their suggestions without having to register for anything else. This should make things easier, since a lot of people just registered at Yahoo in order to be able to post there, and this way they won't have to register for something else which may or may not be the permanent home of the group.

I see that oshiroii and alexandrecollaco have discussed and agreed to this idea on the Yahoo group already. Sorry for all the confusion!

daraand
08-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Rock on., Good job Furryspork, and oshiroii! After all this I thought the forum would die but I'm glad its alive :)

Holyvirus
08-16-2004, 09:54 PM
My first post here :)

I agree that a forum is much better then the Yahoogroups.
Thanks Furryspork and oshiroii for making it possible!

JoshBowman
08-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Is this the calm before the storm or has everyone just shifted to oshiroii's other forum?