PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

frodog
04-15-2006, 07:09 AM
hi i'm interested in learning animation at AM. i tried to read this whole thread but soooo long!!!

is it hard to get into AM? are there a lot of applicants and only a few seats? what is the criteria for getting in besides the essay and the wonderlic test?

how long is the application process. do you have to show them some animation examples or artwork. or do they just let anyone in who applies first...or basically anyone who applies in time gets in.

have any of you been rejected and accepted later?

(btw i've already submitted my essay and waiting for response)

thanks so much!

dalmanna
04-15-2006, 02:38 PM
once you've submitted your essay and filled out those forms they'll send you a link to that little test, once you done that you have to wait for up to two weeks for a reply. (got mine in about 3 days so its just a guide line)

if they say yes then we all get emailed a registration pack around the 22 may approx six weeks before start of the first class.

there's actually a load of info on the AM site in the catalog tells about applying the only thing is it didn't say much bout was what type of test it is. but it turns out the test is just a multiple choice basic knowlege test.

hope this helps

Wei2k
04-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Just applied last week; really hope I can get into the summer 06 group. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon so I can take the test.

dalmanna
04-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Just applied last week; really hope I can get into the summer 06 group. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon so I can take the test.

you should do, i applied last week and got in ok. so i reckon you will. good luck anyway:thumbsup:

anthea
04-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi frodog,

That is one of the greatest things imo about AM, is that ANYONE!!! can apply to AM, get in, and be able to achieve their dream of becoming an animator. They don't ask to see any art or animation portfolio to apply, the whole idea is they can teach you animation from the ground up. Once you get in you will have to work hard on your animation and drawing skills, but you don't need to be a pro to be able to learn with and from the pros. If AM was one of those snobby, hard to get into schools, I would have never gotten the chance to learn animation. I had tried so hard to find a way to learn animation and it never happened for me, until AM. I did apply to Sherridan about 4 years ago and didn't get in, can someone tell me how are you supposed to learn this stuff when the good animation school only accept people who already know animation, it just isn't fair!! Thank goodness that AM came around at just the right time. The fact that AM is open to all is a breakthrough in animation education. Finally a school where you are taught animation from the ground floor up, you can come in at any level.

I really believe that anyone can become an animator with practice and patience, and AM is proving that right now with their curriculum and hardworking students, some with no prior animation skills are doing amazingly well.

anthea

hi i'm interested in learning animation at AM. i tried to read this whole thread but soooo long!!!

is it hard to get into AM? are there a lot of applicants and only a few seats? what is the criteria for getting in besides the essay and the wonderlic test?

how long is the application process. do you have to show them some animation examples or artwork. or do they just let anyone in who applies first...or basically anyone who applies in time gets in.

have any of you been rejected and accepted later?

(btw i've already submitted my essay and waiting for response)

thanks so much!

mistafreeze
04-18-2006, 12:45 AM
it usually takes a while to hear back from them

doesnt mean your not accepted.

and like anthea wrote, they pretty much seem to accept anyone with a passion for animation =)

d_jnaneswar
04-18-2006, 04:51 AM
I am missing it... man.. it feels empty taking a break from AM.. The first two weeks were leasure, but now, i feel empty...void.... Any good remedies? and yeah, add to that, cant attend the dailies, they are past midnight for me..

NEEd to get back into AM next term....

dj

paconavarro
04-18-2006, 07:07 AM
I totally missed this post :)

I got accepted too, about two weeks ago :)

Im setting up everything (money and pc) for this... I'm very exited :)

Cheers

raffael3d
04-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Animation Mentor Review: http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=107

harmonic01
04-18-2006, 03:11 PM
OH man, do I miss AM too. :) I'll try to get back to AM next term as well.

I am missing it... man.. it feels empty taking a break from AM.. The first two weeks were leasure, but now, i feel empty...void.... Any good remedies? and yeah, add to that, cant attend the dailies, they are past midnight for me..

NEEd to get back into AM next term....

dj

anthea
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Animation Mentor Review: http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=107

Raffael, check the spelling of Bobby's name it should be Bobby Beck

Rambiert
04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Looks great. Nice idea.
Anyway. I'd affraid about strong influence of such menthors on my own workshop. :bounce:

frodog
04-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I did apply to Sherridan about 4 years ago and didn't get in, can someone tell me how are you supposed to learn this stuff when the good animation school only accept people who already know animation, it just isn't fair!! Thank goodness that AM came around at just the right time. The fact that AM is open to all is a breakthrough in animation education.

Hi Anthea,

Thanks for the quick reply. It was very helpful. I read you have been hired at Disney recently as an assistant animator. I want to extend a huge congratulations for that, as I understand that you didn't even finish the AM course yet before getting the job!

Now I am speaking out of ignorance here, but what is an "assistant animator" exactly... is that someone who is not yet an animator, and who will be able to be a full fledged animator after gaining more skills/experience?

I have no doubt you are an awesome animator now (one billion times better than me for sure!). But let's say you did make it into Sherridan four years ago and got a four year degree and learned animation through that route. Do you think you could have got an EVEN BETTER position now (if that is even possible)? In other words, is this your maximum potential, even coming out of a school like Sherridan?

And do you think it was raw skill that got you your current job, or the fact that maybe you got some good personal connections through AM, like a really helpful mentor, and maybe that was the key to getting your position. In other words, you were very savvy with dealing with your mentors, making sure they knew your name, making yourself visible, etc. and your mentors went out of their way to help you.

Sorry if any of this came across wrong, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just trying to figure out what kind of damage an old dog like me (31 years old!) can do if I graduate from AM, as it's a pretty big investment for a penniless career changer :). Sure i'm interested in learning animation. but that doesn't mean I have any real job potential, ya know? They shouldn't raise any false hopes.

anthea
04-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Hello!

Yes I have been an assistant animator for about 6 months now, and I love the job. As an assistant animator I am mostly adding secondary animation onto the animator's work, like hair, clothes, wrinkles, but I hope to one day become a full fledged animator. The level of skill of the Disney animators here is so high, and they some of them have been animating for decades, that I would never dream of being in the same league as them, especially since I have only been animating for 1 year so far. And as a general rule, they do NOT hire animators without feature animation experience, so the assistant position is a way to get feature experience under your belt. No I don't think I have reached my maximun potential yet, and I honestly don't think I ever will, I am going to continue to try to improve and learn through my entire career, I have only just begun to learn animation so I have a long way to go. This is my first job out of AM so I don't know many people who would say they reached their "maximun potential" their first job out of school, do you? Either way I'm lucky to be here.

The only reason I was comparing Sherridan to AM is for the admissions process. There are many tremendously great traditional animation schools out there like Sherridan that are hard to get a spot in and are outrageously expensive, at AM everyone has the same chance of learning animation, and I think that's great. The whole point I was trying to make to you is that I DID NOT get accepted to Sherridan, and my animation dream would have ended there if it wasn't for AM's policy of teaching animation from the ground up. *If* I would have gotten accepted to Sherridan 4 years ago I have no idea if things would have been different, all I know is what a great experience AM has been for me.

Of course there are a lot of factors that go into getting jobs, I can't really say for sure why I was chosen, but I do feel extremely lucky to have been given this chance. And my advice to you if you do take courses at AM is to treat the courses as if it was your job, and let your mentor know you are serious about learning animation, that's what I did. Of course you want to make a good impression on all your mentors and classmates, because these are the animators you will hopefully be working with one day.

I can't say what is the right decision for you in your life, but for me, I really want to become an animator and I couldn't have hoped for a better program to learn at. At 27 I have managed to completely turn my life and career around thanks to AM. There are students of all ages there. If you really have the passion to learn animation then things will work out for you.

good luck!

mayakindaguy
04-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Anthea learns FAST and she's got a great work ethic. =) Plus she's always open to critiques and growing as an animator. I think those are some kickass qualities that are often difficult to teach, but it's something we all should aspire to.

Man it's been a while since I posted here. lol.

anthea
04-19-2006, 12:17 AM
aw thanks, bu ti don't think i'm any different than the many other AM students working hard to achieve their dream jobs one day. and all the things i've learned so far have only been thanks to the AM curriculum and all the great feedback from my fellow students.

My Fault
04-19-2006, 12:22 AM
She also has top secret help, codenamed Squishy! :)

swadepgh
04-19-2006, 03:09 AM
Hey Anthea - this is sort of an aside - do you know anything about the Disney University program for interns? I saw that they want undergrad or grad students returning to school in the fall. Can you point me in the right direction for finding out if AM students would be allowed to apply for that? There are some people on the forums interested and some of them are not students anywhere other than AM.

123asd00
04-19-2006, 03:34 AM
beyond compare.

-----china girl of eulog
can contact me
mait box:ai2001625@yahoo.com.cn
study English fine difficult:bounce:

123asd00
04-19-2006, 03:44 AM
:bounce: beyond compare.

-----china girl of eulog
can contact me
mait box:ai2001625@yahoo.com.cn
study English fine difficult

swadepgh
04-19-2006, 04:38 AM
what is that about?

anthea
04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey Anthea - this is sort of an aside - do you know anything about the Disney University program for interns? I saw that they want undergrad or grad students returning to school in the fall. Can you point me in the right direction for finding out if AM students would be allowed to apply for that? There are some people on the forums interested and some of them are not students anywhere other than AM.

Hi Sara!!! I haven't heard anything about the Disney University Program for interns. Feature Animation actually doesn't have any interns in artist positions. I knew one person who came on as an intern but not in an artist position, it was in more of an administration department. But it never hurts to submit your reel just in case.

I do know that Dreamworks and Rhythm and Hues do internship programs.

swadepgh
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Anthea - yeah I guess maybe it was with another part of Disney? This is the link to what they were talking about - http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/college/wdfa/undergrad.html

I don't think I can apply since I will not be returning to any school this fall. If all goes well I will be finishing my AM short film then. :bounce:

I guess Disney University is some sort of separate thing for students. It's all french to me. Anyway thanks for checking in to it. I will pass on the info to the people who are planning to apply. :)

123asd00
04-20-2006, 02:31 AM
:sad: my English very be defeated don't laugh

AjaBogdanoff
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
We are not laughing. We just don't understand what you're writing.

rag-man
04-20-2006, 04:24 PM
pfff .. and I thought it's just me .. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce*

*class 1 syndrome I guess

HenrikJonsson
04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I have been working as a 3d designer/animator for around 10 years, and I have been considering getting on the AM course to further my skills. However, being a freelancer my work is very irregular - in periods I would have decent time to study, whereas the autumn months often are very hectic.

Now, in this thread I hear some of you guys speaking about "getting back onto AM", does this mean you can take one segment and then wait a while before continuing onto the next one?

I was in touch with AM concerning this and they suggested their CE program, but is this equivalent of the traditional course?

Any info appreciated!

harmonic01
04-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Henrik. Yeah, you can totally take a break and resume later. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm also a freelancer so going through first 3 classes was kind of tough and I only had weekends, really.
I don't think CE classes are any different. It's at a different time and perhaps you could skip straight in to class 3 for instance. I think, I'm not sure. :)

daraand
04-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Anthea! I haven't seen you in ages!! It's David Andrade, we were in Behm's class when AMO started ;) How are things at Disney? I'm reaidng your posts and they look like you've had some serious fun :D ! Well just sayin hey - we're all still animating, and losing our minds (:

HenrikJonsson
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your reply, Harmonic! Very useful. :thumbsup:

So, essentially you're telling me that you think they'd be cool with me enrolling (provided I'd get accepted of course), then taking maybe the first two segments and then having a break before getting back to them, and so on?

Your push/pull animation is good! Do you feel that you have benefited from the AM instruction? You feel it has been/is a worthwhile investment?

Thanks again!

harmonic01
04-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Henrik. "...taking maybe the first two segments and then having a break before getting back to them, and so on?" Oh yeah, quite a fiew people have done that.
As far as AM classes, apsolutely and totally worth it.

My Fault
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Like my fellow thug Peter said, while AM would love everyone to go straight through, they have absolutely no problem with people taking quarters off. So many people in AM are already working full time or going to school that they totally understand that reality some times intrudes. Danged reality! :)

HenrikJonsson
04-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Cool! Thanks for your replies guys! I hope to see you on the inside in the near future!

Sean MacNeil
04-26-2006, 11:11 PM
You're going to love it on the inside. :thumbsup:

anthea
04-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Anthea! I haven't seen you in ages!! It's David Andrade, we were in Behm's class when AMO started ;) How are things at Disney? I'm reaidng your posts and they look like you've had some serious fun :D ! Well just sayin hey - we're all still animating, and losing our minds (:

hey Davida!! how are you!! I recently met some DNA people here at work and was thinking of the Behm days, those were the good old days. He was a great mentor, and the best possible mentor to have the first time around. Things are great at work, I really love it here. I am having tons of fun everyday, there's so much to take advantage of, so much to learn. I hope AM is still going great for you, I would love to see any animation tests you have.

a

andy_maxman
04-28-2006, 04:58 AM
hi everyone,
just wanted to pop-in and say hi...
i have taken a break after taking the first 2 terms...its been a good experience so far and i'm looking forward to the next term eagerly...

hi to all my classmates from term1 and term2...i really miss the place and the energy that is AM....

and in classic 'BOOM' style...

adios'!
:)

d_jnaneswar
04-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi people!

Hey andy!

Hows AM going on? Any new features in V2 this term? Life's less pressureful during the break, but just like andy, im missing AM terribly.. I need to get back to some serious fun animating.

So how are you guys doing! And hows the shortfilm class Aja?

dj

d_jnaneswar
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM
And did you guys have iceage2 global yet? how did that go? Galen Chu is awsome and I feel sad that I missed it, incase it happened.

AjaBogdanoff
04-28-2006, 01:03 PM
So how are you guys doing! And hows the shortfilm class Aja?

SUPER MEGA AWESOME! :applause:

It's going great. I've got Mark Behm now, and he's been great with the story stuff so far. It sounds like he's continued to work on personal projects on the side during his career, so he has a lot of great advice for us on, above all else, coming up with something that's do-able in 6 months. And I like how he's handling the very difficult job of critiquing people's stories. Everyone I've seen pitch has an AWESOME story now, and we're all to start boarding next week. So keep your eyes open for animatics on the blogs soon! :)

Let's see, new features... Well, if you're in Class 5, you get a Short Film Library filled with student films from Doug Sweetland, Pete Doctor, Charles Alleneck, Mark Oftedal, Wayne Gilbert, Charpu, and Moonsung Lee... that's just awesome. I've watched Charles Alleneck's "Onion John" a dozen times already. :D They're all like an instant dose of inspiration.

And they're making characters for people to use in their films, which are looking really cool.

So yeah, it's going great. I'm starting to get into the "oh man I can't wait till my film is done!" feeling, but at the same time, I don't really want this to end. :)

Y'all come back now, y'hear? :D

reb3D
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Man Aja,
Sounds like you guys are rockin'! I'm sooo jealous! I wish I was still in class when I hear all the enthusiasm. And I completely know what you mean when you say... you don't want it to end!

Good luck with the short! I can't wait to see peoples work!!
~reb

AjaBogdanoff
04-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it's exciting!! We wish you guys were still in class with us, too! It'd be awesome to see the ideas you came up with for the shorts. But... *sigh*.... I guess getting pulled out of school to go work on features is good, too.... ;)

philippeduvin
04-29-2006, 01:53 PM
heheh who wants to exchange a position in Disney for a short film class ?? :bounce: pick me pick me !

Oh by the way guys, there's an interview coming up with Mr Kit Kat himself on Animation Lounge (http://www.animationlounge.com). Stay Tuned !!

iliketheska
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey all, just got accepted to start in the summer session, can't wait! :D

dalmanna
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM

cool, me too will be seeing you on the other side :D

swadepgh
05-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Congrats guys! I hope you will love AM as much as I do. :)

dalmanna
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
i'm loving it already :thumbsup:

kpo
05-09-2006, 09:35 PM

me too! i sent you a PM if you want to talk.

doctorbob
05-09-2006, 11:43 PM

ditto! :D

chrisg

kpo
05-10-2006, 12:13 AM
ditto! :D

chrisg

Awesome! congratulations man. Feel free to contact me through the info in my profile if you want to talk.

Manta
05-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi all! Congrats to the new mentees. I will be in this summer too. :)

ThePredator42
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats and a warm welcome to all the soon to be AM students!

Prepare for quite a ride! :-)

Micha.

rag-man
05-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Welcome to all new Students!
And be sure to order your copy of "The Illusion of Life" NOW!

mlmiller1983
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Already ordered and recieved mine via Amazon as well as the "Animators Survival Guide". Both are excellent books!

kpo
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM

Thanks!
Already got my books too. They're excellent :)

dalmanna
05-10-2006, 04:24 PM
man i'm getting all excited now :bounce:

achavero
05-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Congratulations guys!!!

magan3D
05-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Alright since a lot of summer class students are popping up, how about we get to know each other.
Just PM me, email or AIM.
We already got a small group going of 4, including myself. Would be great to hear from anybody else.

Ya don't forget to get your books. Some times Amazon is out of stock.

Did anybody else get their Registration Package? :deal:

kpo
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Did anybody else get their Registration Package? :deal:

Yeah I just got mine yesterday! I was so happy to see something else from them in my inbox :bounce:

nero3d
05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
How long after taking the online test did you all hear from Animation Mentor about acceptance? I took the test about a week ago.

dalmanna
05-11-2006, 12:06 AM
How long after taking the online test did you all hear from Animation Mentor about acceptance? I took the test about a week ago.

should be pretty soon, it says up to two weeks but mine was like a few days prolly depends how busy they are:shrug: good luck though:thumbsup:

kpo
05-11-2006, 05:26 AM
should be pretty soon, it says up to two weeks but mine was like a few days prolly depends how busy they are:shrug: good luck though:thumbsup:

yeah definitely. It should be two weeks or less. Mine took a little longer because they were real busy with the Spring session starting. You should get it soon- good luck :thumbsup:

Manta
05-11-2006, 06:02 AM

I received mine only 24 hours later. :)

When will we receive the proof of enrollment needed to purchase the Complete version of Maya?

dalmanna
05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I received mine only 24 hours later. :)

When will we receive the proof of enrollment needed to purchase the Complete version of Maya?

i think thats when you've sent you enrollment pack back, about the same time you get your password i think, don't quote me on that. i hadn't really looked into it coz i'm a student at the moment so i bought maya while i was on this course.

liquidik
05-11-2006, 01:15 PM
They should send the proof of enrollment with all the information. Anyway, once you log to the workspace, it's in your academic area.

Looking forward to see you guys

Gian

Manta
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Then... Is the proof of enrollment a downloadable document, a code or something like this?

almux
05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey! This looks great!... Tempting... quite tempting...

nero3d
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
just got my acceptance email - can't wait to join the rest of you in AM!

Manta
05-12-2006, 05:57 AM
just got my acceptance email - can't wait to join the rest of you in AM!
Congrats, man! The list of students is growing and growing...

dalmanna
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Congrats, man! The list of students is growing and growing...

and then my friend, the animators will take over the world!!!.......or something like that...k thats too much halo trailer for me:rolleyes:

liquidik
05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Yup guys, the proof of enrollment is a downloadable file.

mayakindaguy
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats to all the new kids coming in Summer term!

:bounce: <= I missed doing this!!!

BTW. Did I mention that all freshmen at AM must wear duncecaps and their underwear outside their pants for their first Q&A?

Hey, whose that funny looking guy above my post?

Manta
05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
and then my friend, the animators will take over the world!!!.......or something like that...k thats too much halo trailer for me:rolleyes:
That would be great! Life without animation has no sense, IMHO. :)
Guys, seeing your avatars... maybe there is a strange connection between you.

ThePredator42
05-15-2006, 01:31 PM
BTW. Did I mention that all freshmen at AM must wear duncecaps and their underwear outside their pants for their first Q&A?

Way better, back in my first Q&A you had ta shave ya head. And I started in winter mind you!

mech7
05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
:sad: Why does it have to be so expensive..

harmonic01
05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Relative to other schools, it's actually cheaper... I think. :) Plus, you get every penny worth here. :D

dalmanna
05-15-2006, 04:00 PM

its not actually that bad when you think about what your getting, plus the fact that most uni's cost way more, mine does. i mean i'm still gonna have to work full time to pay for it but hey:shrug: but it's prolly the best money you'll ever spend, in terms of meeting cool people and learning animation. i've met some really cool folks already from this and i've not started yet:scream:

edit: beat me to it :blush:

storyForge
05-15-2006, 04:21 PM
So I recievd my registration packet this last thursday ,filled it out and am mailing it tomorrow. I'll be paying by credit card on next monday. About how long does it take to get your AM log in information? I can't wait to start browsing the student work over there!

AjaBogdanoff
05-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Woo! I grin every time I see your location, Jon. :D

It might have changed by now, but back in my day, new folks couldn't log in to the main site until the first day of classes. But that was a long time ago! :)

I just wanted to add, on the "why does it have to be so expensive" thought, that there are a heck of a lot of people putting their time and effort into the program, and the main purpose of the tuition is probably to compensate them fairly for their work. The mentors alone spend a whole lot of time going through and critiquing each person's assignments every week, plus the Q&As, plus whatever emails and such they get from students... and that's time that they're spending in addition to their normal hours at their studio. Plus there's all the incredible work the support staff does, building and rigging our characters, keeping the servers running, shooting and editing the lectures, answering the phones.... whew! :)

Anyhow, just wanted to point out that there's a good reason that AM costs a decent amount of money. And like Peter, I think it's worth every penny. :)

mech7
05-15-2006, 05:05 PM
:cry: Yes well it would be fine if I had such kind of money.. :cry:

dalmanna
05-16-2006, 12:03 AM
:cry: Yes well it would be fine if I had such kind of money.. :cry:

could prolly get loan of some kind, depends how much you wanna do it though:D

sternio
05-16-2006, 12:08 AM

To put this in perspective, the entire program of animationmentor from start to finish cost the same as one semester at a University I attended.

jamination
05-16-2006, 12:12 AM
To put this in perspective, the entire program of animationmentor from start to finish cost the same as one semester at a University I attended.

hopefully that wasn't for just one class:)

sternio
05-16-2006, 12:37 AM
hopefully that wasn't for just one class:)

No a fulltime semester (18 credits)

Zephyrpower
05-16-2006, 12:45 AM

Wow,Same here! My semesters used to be less but they just raised tuition a good bit. Fortunately, I have a healthy merit scholarship so after all is said and done. Full Course AM= 1 yr (2 semesters at college) Still, for what you get and the amount of time you get---you can't beat that deal! Yeah, I'm seriously going to do this but I might try to learn some of the basics and start in the fall.

rag-man
05-16-2006, 01:48 AM
So I recievd my registration packet this last thursday ,filled it out and am mailing it tomorrow. I'll be paying by credit card on next monday. About how long does it take to get your AM log in information? I can't wait to start browsing the student work over there!

I got my Account Setup Mail 2 days before the starting date (that don't depends on the time you actually paid).

In those days you can setup your account and watch the orientation videos.
But that's all.
Full access to the site and the content (for week one) on your first day.

good luck and see you inside!

Kimotion
05-16-2006, 06:27 AM

I can so relate. And AM's cirriculum actually teaches animation. :bounce:

iliketheska
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Hmm, how flexible is the program? By that I mean during the end of August I'm moving (right now I'm home from college in Idaho, in the fall I'm going back to Buffalo for my sophomore year) so I'll be without a coouter for about a week as it ships across the country. Will I be able to do that weeks assignment early? I sent an email the other day, hope to hear back soon. I hope it will all work out, I really want to start AM ASAP!

Guemation
05-17-2006, 06:44 AM
Just got my acceptance mail!! Yeahaaw!

I'll also start in the Summer Term. Welcome to all the other fellow Mentees!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Guemation
05-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Just got my acceptance mail! Yeehaaaw!

Congrats to all the other fellow mentees!

Will start on summer!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bentagon
05-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Woo! This place is still alive and kicking! Darn notification system bailed on me!

Everyone new (and everyone still in the program, obviously), you're gonna have one heck of a time!

My Fault
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
This thread will never die Ben! You know in 70 years Jaja will still be answering questions and eating delicious cookies.

AjaBogdanoff
05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Haha, you know it Brian! :D

So hey, everyone! We're going to try something new!

This Sunday: Prospective/Incoming "Ask the AM Student" Q&A!

Have you been dying to ask current AM students a few bazillion questions about the school? Want to know if you need to be able to draw, how long it takes to hear back after applying, what a typical week is like? Five AM students (Myself, Freddy, Sara, Vincent, and Benjamin) will be hosting a small, unofficial panel Q&A this Sunday at 1pm Pacific Time!

We will be using another school's "Flashmeeting" tool, which is similar to AM's Q&A tool, but is open to the public.

IMPORTANT: There will only be space in the room for twenty incoming/prospective students. The link to the room will be posted in this thread 5 minutes before the meeting begins on Sunday. If you are not able to enter the room, a recording will be available shortly after.

So break out your time zone converters, fire up your web cams, and join us for a fun, informal, and not-sponsored-by-AM-in-any-way student chat!

See you there! :D

Sean MacNeil
05-17-2006, 11:51 PM
This is Cool! Welcome to all the new peeps starting in the summer term. You guys should definitely check out the live Q&A meeting that Aja set up for you this weekend, fire away with any and all questions you have may have.

Aja rules!! :thumbsup: i see Freddy, Sara, Vincent and Benjamin are going to be there to answer your questions too! This is a great idea.

Have fun everyone!! :bounce:

storyForge
05-18-2006, 02:07 AM
I'll be there aja, barring any emergencies :) Thats really great of you guys to open this up to incoming students!

dalmanna
05-18-2006, 03:23 AM
This thread will never die Ben! You know in 70 years Jaja will still be answering questions and eating delicious cookies.

i totally read Jaja as Jar jar, which kinda blew my mind, i nearly fell off the internet.

... anyway, the Q and A session sounds totally awesome. so as long as i'm not working i'll be there.

anthea
05-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Hmm, how flexible is the program? By that I mean during the end of August I'm moving (right now I'm home from college in Idaho, in the fall I'm going back to Buffalo for my sophomore year) so I'll be without a coouter for about a week as it ships across the country. Will I be able to do that weeks assignment early? I sent an email the other day, hope to hear back soon. I hope it will all work out, I really want to start AM ASAP!

They are completely flexible, I also moved across country mid semester. I was able to hand in my assignment even so, but I don't think they would mind if you handed in something early, plus they always give you time to make revisions on previous assignments. You can always find an internet cafe or lab room to log onto the school and view student's assignments, leave crits and watch the lectures.

My Fault
05-18-2006, 07:41 PM
i totally read Jaja as Jar jar, which kinda blew my mind, i nearly fell off the internet.

... anyway, the Q and A session sounds totally awesome. so as long as i'm not working i'll be there.

If you have seen Aja in person you realize she looks a lot like Jar Jar.... though his ears are a bit smaller.

AjaBogdanoff
05-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Meesa say yousa better watch your back, Nicolucci! ;)

dalmanna
05-18-2006, 09:50 PM
rofl, i'm already scared and i've not even started the course yet:scream:

Bentagon
05-18-2006, 09:57 PM
You're already scared?

I guess it's good then that you don't know she can put your hair on fire too. With her eyes.

dalmanna
05-18-2006, 10:00 PM
:surprised..... :cry: hold me!!

SkyZero
05-20-2006, 03:44 AM
See you guys at the QA on Sunday! Hopefully we'll be able to answer any questions you might have about the school.

Don't worry dalmanna, if you wear a tin-foil hat you can successfully deflect those heat rays from aja. It's a lil trick I picked up from surviving a close encouter myself... :thumbsup:

dalmanna
05-20-2006, 03:52 AM
shiny hat!! good thinking Batman, then i'll look just like master chief and i'll be able to kick Jar Jar's (Aja's) butt with the power of awesomeness, or i might just look a bit silly........it's a risk i'm willing to take :wise: .......be gentle jar jar.. i'm new:D.......digging a deep hole.....i'm outa here before she gets violent

AjaBogdanoff
05-20-2006, 01:10 PM
*snort*

You know, I remember the days when new students actually had to be in the school for a while before they realized how weird I was. :D

*wanders off to make some heat-vision toast and tail-scrambled eggs*

dalmanna
05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
people will always be afraid of what they don't understand........so i guess your just missunderstood:scream: ........*stoops out before she finishes toast and gets angry*

AjaBogdanoff
05-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Prospective/Incoming Student Q&A Today!

Woo! Looks like we're all set for the unofficial Q&A this afternoon! I did manage to miscalculate the time a little (hey, it's complicated!), so the Q&A will be starting at 1:15pm Pacific today (that's San Francisco time).

If you have questions you'd like to ask current AM students, and want to join the Q&A today, please keep an eye on this thread later today. At about 1:15 Pacific, I'll post a link to the room. If there is a lot of demand for spaces in the room, it will be closed after the first 20 people enter, and a recording will be available shortly after.

Thanks folks, and I hope to see y'all there! :)

Aja B.

Ross147
05-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi guys

Posted my registration to AM on Friday hope to start my first term July 3rd :)
From what Ive heard (and read here ) its a great place, I cant wait to get started!

Ross

AjaBogdanoff
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Student Q&A!

To join us in the Prospective/Incoming Student Q&A, please visit the following link:

Edit: The chat has ended, thanks everyone for a great session!

You may wish to change the size of the window to "Fill Window" rather than "Actual Size", the toggle is in the lower left hand corner. You do not need an account, just enter your name in the text box and hit "Enter".

If you would like to be able to use your web cam and microphone in the chat, you'll need to click the "allow" box if it asks you.

See you all there! :)

dalmanna
05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
that Q and A was awesome :bounce:

storyForge
05-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Thank you Aja, Benjamin, Victor, Freddy and everyone else that took time to answer questions. Very informative and has just made my excitement grow about 5x!

Ross147
05-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Yea I just got to second that, the Q&A was super helpful thankyou Aja, Benjamin, Vincent and freddy for all our answers and passing on your enthusiasm to all of us future AM students! :)

AjaBogdanoff
05-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Whooo! Thanks everyone, that was a lot of fun!! You all had excellent questions. :)

The recording of the session is available at the following link:

http://flash.kmi.open.ac.uk:8080/fm/fmm.php?pwd=1cc766-4418

To skip ahead to the actual beginning of the session, click on "12:58 Aja". Then you can either watch the entire thing in order, or jump around between answers on the list. To see what was happening in the text chat, where Vincent was answering a ton of questions, just click on the "Chat" tab at the top.

Thanks again y'all, looking forward to seeing you in AM! :)

Manta
05-22-2006, 05:42 AM
That was awesome and amazing! Thank you Aja and the rest of mentees for make it happen. I guess we seem hungry Padawans. :)

My Fault
05-22-2006, 07:07 AM
That was awesome and amazing! Thank you Aja and the rest of mentees for make it happen. I guess we seem hungry Padawans. :)

Wait, Aja didn't make you pancakes? You so got gypped!

bleumoon
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Great Q&A session everyone. Thanks Aja, Ben, and everyone else who made it happen. I hope you don't mind me watching. I've already committed in going to a different school, but I felt that most of what you guys talked about was relevant to any animation student. I kind of feel like I'm sleeping with the enemy :scream:.

Aja, I too have done the college university thing, and I could certainly relate to a lot of what you said. Anyway . . . AM seems like a great place, and now a little piece of me wishes I had chosen to "go there" instead.

This kind of inside information is hard to find, and I thought that it was very informative. So thanks again for putting it together.

To see what was happening in the text chat, where Vincent was answering a ton of questions, just click on the "Chat" tab at the top.

OMG, and NOW I just see this as I'm hitting the reply button :banghead:. Oh well, scrolling never killed anyone . . . . yeah, I'll just keep telling myself that :cry:.

Manta
05-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Wait, Aja didn't make you pancakes? You so got gypped!
Nope. There was only ONE and it was eaten by her dog! The beast entered suddenly into her room and took the cake barking to us. We didn't see him... maybe is a monster, a chihuahua or just a pre-recorded tape! :)

AjaBogdanoff
05-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Haha, that's right! My dog came in barking her head off at one point, turns out she wanted to make sure I knew it was very windy outside. And that she'd like some pancakes. :D

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, it's always fun for us to get to share our thoughts about the school. :)

Now, I'd better go fire up the griddle before this crazy dog chews my leg off or something! :o

anthea
05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
that was totally amazing, great to hear that inside information, it is so valuable for students trying to decide where to attend animation school.

i esp like the appearance of the famous dog libbey during aja's session.

SkyZero
05-22-2006, 02:59 PM
It was awesome meeting everyone in the QA! Definitely glad we were able to help out and answer your questions about the school. :thumbsup:
Looking foward to seeing you on the other side! :buttrock:

magan3D
05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Very good chatting with everybody, thanks for all the great info. Now I gotta watch that last bit since I had to cut out early

corneliu
05-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to add one little thing to this thread.
I am after my first 7 weeks at AM and I have just gone through all the questions that other people might have about AM before I started.
I write this hoping to clear some of them.

I always had the feeling that animation is about the nature given talent to copy movements to a character.
And you just have it or not.
After watching the 3 Gnomon DVD's and no complain about them ... there is a lot of useful information inside ... I always had the feeling that animation is just about these 12 hours information and then you simply work by yourself and get used to it.
You also can read through the 2D books and these are full of nuggets about animation but after starting AM I think that these books are written by people that wanted to pass creme a la creme to next generations.
The problem I think there is generally, when you feel you would like to learn animation, is that there is no organized material that would walk you step by step through the process.
And there is a huge amount of information you have to understand and get used to, before you can really animate something even like a simple bouncing ball.
I know this sounds exaggerated but you have to go through the whole process, organized like AM to understand what I mean.
And just for the simple bouncing ball ... there is weight, elasticity, rotation squash and stretch and a few others that tend to be like the simple 8 notes in music that never stop to compose other music.
If you really want to know the difference how to control these elements and do not want simply to guess and animate by trial and error and eyeball something that could look real ...
I think... that is whats so great about AM.
At AM you understand that all that comes after this simple bouncing ball is directly related to the most complicated stuff and each connection that gets you to a more complex character is build out of elements that need the same amount of time to study.
This way you understand that a certain character that acts in a certain way in a movie was planed before and is on screen exactly like planed and is in no way some eyeballing move accepted by the director just because he was happy to see it moving in a realistic way.
So the amount of information is huge and after finishing AM you realise that you just started to understand what to really study and concentrate on.

The minimum amount you have to spend on your weekly assignments are simply just to get you do the most basic.
But if you want to try to understand all, week by week and start looking at other students work, on the same assignments, you can find so much information, that you can ask about, that a week with 24 hours/ day is never enough.
After the assignment you get feedback from your mentor ... but you can watch other 2-300 feed backs on most different situations and every one has a nugget that makes you feel like you discovered something very valuable.
The problem is that it is practical impossible to go through all those feed backs. To all that adding the Forum and chat and live Q&A it is more than you could ever digest completely.

What I think the most genius is about AM ... is the fact that some people have organized this huge amount of information that takes to start understanding animation ... and organized it in a way that has so much logic, by doing this, through a process, that is the most intuitive way of making you understand something that seemed, to the worst like me, to be only a nature given talent area.
It's simply like Newton discovered all the formulas behind the simple fact that an apple hit his had.
You can expect the same amount of universe to get open to you, like Newton did open with his laws, to be clearly opened to you through AM.

So hoping to have said something new and useful ... AM is really that great like everybody says

ThePredator42
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
So hoping to have said something new and useful ... AM is really that great like everybody says

I can only quote this in total agreement. Thereīs so very much to know about animation, and the guys seem to have put everything together. In a way that couldnīt be any better.

I did a ballet dancer jumping over poles in the last few weeks. And suddenly, I was all thinking bouncing ball / bouncing ball with tail again. I donīt even want to know how this would have turned out - in terms of quality and time to do it - if I hadnīt been bouncing balls for...how long? 6 weeks or so?

Those guys simply KNOW how you have to learn it. And when they say something, DO it that way even if it makes no sense to you at the beginning! (like fooling around in front of the camera, buying a basketball to bounce it around, watch people wherever you see them, or drawing on your precious monitor)

Micha.

corneliu
05-23-2006, 07:52 AM
and just another thought ... I don't know how the college is in the US... I know them only from down here ... so even if they reorganized, everything here, to be like the European model .. I can hardly think that a usual college would take the time to file up everything on the students work, step by step, having all exams on video to make them public for all students to be a source of information...

rag-man
05-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Hey Corneliu, you are sooo right!
You said everything that's on my mind for the last 7 weeks :-)

Keep it up Twilight Zone!!

aijoe
05-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Here is more info on the school. www.awn.com (http://www.awn.com) wrote an article about the school.

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2891

swadepgh
05-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey all - sorry that I didn't make it to the QA. I look forward to meeting all the new students next quarter.:)

paul.yan
05-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Looks like they decided to pull the CE program last minute and postpone it to Jan 07. I was all ready to go for the summer too :sad:

dalmanna
05-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Looks like they decided to pull the CE program last minute and postpone it to Jan 07. I was all ready to go for the summer too :sad:

man that sucks, are you gonna do it then though?

MadMax
05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Anyone have suggestions on webcams for AM?

I'm currently looking at the Logitech Quick Cam Pro 5000 /USB

DigitalToon2
05-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Anyone have suggestions on webcams for AM?

I'm currently looking at the Logitech Quick Cam Pro 5000 /USB

I'm sure that cam will work great I have the Logitech Quick Cam Pro 4000 and it works great.

dalmanna
05-31-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm sure that cam will work great I have the Logitech Quick Cam Pro 4000 and it works great.

same, works fine:thumbsup:

d_jnaneswar
06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
DJ's coming back!!!

wooohoooo!!!

Guys.. looking forward to seeing you on campus in a couple of weeks... cant wait to rip your stuff to shreds with crits.... hehe.. smackalicious!!

dj

andy_maxman
06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
DJ's coming back!!!

cant wait to rip your stuff to shreds with crits....

me wanna be in your class....

though, i am still waiting to hear from them if they received my courier yet or not..:(

the courier guys here say..its been delivered on the 13th and i havent heard back from AM confirming the reception of the cheque..

i'm sure they are all busy with next term round the corner...

dying to be inside...woot!

adios'
-the BOOMmer man's disciple cometh!!

rag-man
06-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Class One ... D-O-N-E

here is my class one reel (extended version .. PLAY IT LOUD ;-)

http://www.deliciousmind.com/stuff/reel_sml.mov

Can't wait to see you all inside next term!
(and now .. where is the beach?)

achavero
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
DJ's coming back!!!

wooohoooo!!!

Guys.. looking forward to seeing you on campus in a couple of weeks... cant wait to rip your stuff to shreds with crits.... hehe.. smackalicious!!

dj

Hey DJ, is great to have you back man. We really miss you, so i hope you can have some time to rip my fourth term animations =)

ThePredator42
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Class One ... D-O-N-E

Congrats, really nice work! And you found the time to light and render it also - at the beginning of the week!

See ya around!

Micha

MadMax
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM

I managed to snag the 5000 Pro with headset off of eBay dirt cheap, and it was brand new in the box. 41.00

Paper work is done, sending it to the school with payment by Priority mail tomorrow.

dalmanna
06-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Class One ... D-O-N-E

thats awesome man :thumbsup:

cclarke
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I want to go to. cant believe anyone would question the list of teachers there!!!

philippeduvin
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey rag , great demo reel man !

Just a quick note on your polished vanilla walk from the profile session 109, you should really check out yours arcs and the spacing on your feet. It's a lil bit poppy right now.

Otherwise looks great !

corneliu
06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Class One ... D-O-N-E

Hi Manfred, I realy like your reel.
Class 1 was hard work for all of us ... so enjoy it... even if that week's version of your Vanilla walk is not perfect.
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

dalmanna
06-23-2006, 07:23 PM
woooo got my logining in info today:bounce: time to watch the 'how it all works vids' :D

MadMax
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
woooo got my logining in info today:bounce: time to watch the 'how it all works vids' :D

same here.

I guess that answers my question about getting my payment.

SkyZero
06-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Awesome that you guys got in! Lookin' foward to seeing you on the other side in a couple of weeks! :thumbsup:

corneliu
06-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Here is my class 1 reel ... just for the sake of comparation... I know a sharp eye could see 1000 problems

20 MB to load

http://www.textureshaker.com/pub/Class1_Reel.mov

FatFatFatty
06-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, I had no idea this thread was still active. And there are some students making friends before class even gets started. I like friends! If one of the new AM students would send me a PM, gosh that'd be swell. In fact, it'd be super great!

Hey, does anyone know when we get assigned a mentor? Do we have to wait until the first day of class? I know its only a week away, but it could be the longest week of my life. Not that it matters which mentor I get, but if I know roughly how long I would have to wait, I could go on with my life. In the meantime, I'll just be lying in my bed, curled up in ball, shivering and mumbling to myself......it helps me calm down.

SkyZero
06-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow, I had no idea this thread was still active. And there are some students making friends before class even gets started. I like friends! If one of the new AM students would send me a PM, gosh that'd be swell. In fact, it'd be super great!

Hey, does anyone know when we get assigned a mentor? Do we have to wait until the first day of class? I know its only a week away, but it could be the longest week of my life. Not that it matters which mentor I get, but if I know roughly how long I would have to wait, I could go on with my life. In the meantime, I'll just be lying in my bed, curled up in ball, shivering and mumbling to myself......it helps me calm down.

Heya Danny, glad you got into AM! As for when we get our mentors, I believe we usually get them a day or two before class starts. So yeah, basically a week before we find out. :thumbsup:

See yah on the other side in a week! :D

splintah
06-25-2006, 07:41 PM
yet another class one progress reel

- 10mb sorensen3 high quality (http://kris.core.at/media/vid/posted/am_class1_hq_s3.mov)
- 2mb h.264 low quality (http://kris.core.at/media/vid/posted/am_class1_mq_64.mov)

storyForge
06-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Just got my stuff on Friday and watched the orientation bits... i swear this is going to be the longest day of my life and that they should move the start date up a week :P Anyway, I can't wait to meet all of my new mentee classmates and good luck to all!

paul.yan
06-25-2006, 08:40 PM
See you guys on the other side! :thumbsup:

Littleberu
06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Oh man this is all so tempting. I don't know what to do.

I live in Quebec, and I'm supposed to go to NAD Center after college (currently in Fine Art). But this sounds so interesting. I love the fact that you meet real pros from the industry, people that know what you should do. I also love the fact that it's really "animation" focused.

My only problem is in the job area. I know there's no graduate yet, but I'm eager to see how many of them will get a job.

Are you guys that are currently there worried about that, too?

mmkelly011881
06-26-2006, 01:05 AM
of course we're worried about that... just as any graduate of any school would be

lemme put this out there... graduating from animation mentor does not guarantee you a job.. its like any other school.. you get out what you put in... but i think that the interaction with the mentors and the other students in the school is above anything else I and many others have found...

lemme also say this... going to this school definitely provides for you the tools to put together a kickass reel.. learn tons about animation and come out the other side with friends all over the world who all love the same thing you do...

so i say this to you littleberu.. try it out man... its not ridiculously expensive to try even one semester... i guarantee it'll kick your ass so much you'll be begging for more

Littleberu
06-26-2006, 01:18 AM
of course we're worried about that... just as any graduate of any school would be

lemme put this out there... graduating from animation mentor does not guarantee you a job.. its like any other school.. you get out what you put in... but i think that the interaction with the mentors and the other students in the school is above anything else I and many others have found...

lemme also say this... going to this school definitely provides for you the tools to put together a kickass reel.. learn tons about animation and come out the other side with friends all over the world who all love the same thing you do...

so i say this to you littleberu.. try it out man... its not ridiculously expensive to try even one semester... i guarantee it'll kick your ass so much you'll be begging for more

Well, thank you sir.

I still need to convince my parents (because I still live with them, it works like that here), who thinks this is a major scam of some sort, because, you know, it's on the internet. I keep telling them it's backed up by Pixar, ILM, DNA and such, acknowledged by California State Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education, have more than a thousand current students.... and they won't listen.

ghDude
06-26-2006, 01:32 AM
you guys know if using Maya 6.5 will be okay or i'd need to get 7.0...

they didn't really say.

Littleberu
06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Another question : How much are the payments? How often are they? Every class or every 2 classes?

mmkelly011881
06-26-2006, 02:09 AM
lemme also clear that up.. it's not BACKED by the studios.. several people who work at the studios also are mentors, guest lecturers and speakers at AM... i just want to make sure you have the correct info

there are several ways to pay.. you can do it all at once or in installments per quarter

there are 6 quarters

im not sure if we're allowed to post how much it is tho im sure that if you email the school they will get back to your questions as soon as possible

the best way to get info is to go to the animationmentor site

www.animationmentor.com (http://www.animationmentor.com)
and go to CONTACT US on the right side of the screen

mmkelly011881
06-26-2006, 02:11 AM
maya 6.5 should be fine as several students (including myself..) have used it for school

fluffybunny
06-26-2006, 03:19 AM
maya 6.5 should be fine as several students (including myself..) have used it for school

I'm another maya 6.5 mentee and it's been working great for me. I do have a vague recollection of some news item mentioning in passing that they would "move up" to 7.0 sometime soon, it might have been in the fall, I'm not sure. At any rate, I think for all of the stuff we're doing, Maya is nearly 100% backwards compatible. I think our shelf tools even support 6.0.

--eric

AjaBogdanoff
06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Yup, Maya 6 through 7 is supported, and my guess is that even when they do move up to 7 they'll continue to distribute .ma files that can be opened in earlier versions.

And to Litteberu's parents, I totally understand being wary of some "internet school". :-) This one's the real deal, though, and if it helps drive the point home, there have been several positive articles written about the school in the SF Chronicle, Variety, US News & World Report, the LA Times, the Chicago Tribune, and the SF Business Times. You can read archives of them at AnimationMentor's web site, under the "Press Room" tab. :)

achavero
06-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Another question : How much are the payments? How often are they? Every class or every 2 classes?

You can find information about the payments in the webpage of AM. In resume, you can pay everything in one payment before starting or pay term by term. For me thatīs usually what i do.

About your parents, tell them they can call to the AM offices and talk about their worries, the phones are also on the webpage.

I will be starting class 4 this summer and I can tell you that this people are serious stuff with a very serious and demanding program. They wonīt hesitate to give a bad grade if you donīt deliver on time and with the quality demanded. They wonīt leave you alone with theory and software doubts, on the contrary they have a great support staff to help you all the time. The rigs are very solid and easy to handle.

I'm from Mexico and I didnīt have any experience in animation. So I can tell you that you can really learn A LOT! if you put the enthusiasm and hard work necessary to succeed. But beware because this thing is very addictive and after one term you will find yourself suffering because you have one week of vacations and you are desperate to start the next term and the next animation... that's the way i can resume my experience in AM.

I hope this encourages you and your parents to give AM a chance. They wonīt regret it.

Littleberu
06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow. Thanks all, I really didn't expect these kind of answers!

Ahaha, I'm already pumped up and I'm not even in yet.

AKS
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
LittleBeru - You also might check (and have your parent's check) out the blogs of some AM students. I know Aja has one & I think she links to a bunch of others. That will give you an idea of what people are independently saying about AM, the good bad & ugly (although I'm pretty sure most of it is good :). It will also give you guys an idea of what sort of assignments are involved & time commitment you will be expected to give. And you can see how people have improved through the program, which hopefully is the real sign of if this school is a sham or not.

I am starting into my 6th term at AM (short film production), and even though there have definitely been up's & down's, I still count attending AM as one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Littleberu
06-26-2006, 03:49 PM
LittleBeru - You also might check (and have your parent's check) out the blogs of some AM students. I know Aja has one & I think she links to a bunch of others. That will give you an idea of what people are independently saying about AM, the good bad & ugly (although I'm pretty sure most of it is good :). It will also give you guys an idea of what sort of assignments are involved & time commitment you will be expected to give. And you can see how people have improved through the program, which hopefully is the real sign of if this school is a sham or not.

I am starting into my 6th term at AM (short film production), and even though there have definitely been up's & down's, I still count attending AM as one of the best decisions I've ever made.

So you're of the first batch I assume? It's cool to hear other students that are there from the beginning.

I read your blog, and I saw that you were making your own models for your short (as is Aja). How long do you have to make these models? Is is encouraged to use your own material and models?

One last question, do they offer any kind of courses on rigging of some kind?

AKS
06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Yup! I'm one of the firsts... Hence the up's & down's :)

I read your blog,

ACK! I didn't mean read MY blog! I don't actually think anyone reads it & I'm terribly embarrased by it. But oh well. I think there are a handful of final term students who are doing their own models. AM actually encourages you NOT to do your own models. They provide 5 characters fully rigged & setup for the final term, which will work really well for almost any short. For all the previous terms they provide fully rigged models for each assignment.

I've rigged all my own stuff throughout AM b/c I use XSI (also not recomnded by AM). I know Maya and used it extensively before AM, but I wanted to learn XSI around the same time I started AM so I switched in order to have something to practice on. So it's not much of a leap for me to model & rig for my film as I would have to re-rig their characters for XSI anyways (personal preference, XSI over Maya, I'm just more comfortable in it now).

If you have not had modeling/rigging experience prior to AM I would recomend NOT trying to go off & do it on your own. I have had a fair bit of experience with both & still have run into all sorts of problems & time constraints b/c I was doing it on my own. You should really focus your time on learning the animation, it's why you're there, and you should take advantage of all the amazing resources that you have while you are there (like the Mentors).

They don't offer any sort of rigging classes other than basic over-view of constraints to allow you to do things like pin down hands & such. They really want you to focus on the art of the animation & not the technical aspects of the software.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If not feel free to email me with more. Put something like "Questions about AM" in the subject line though so I know it's not junk mail, I get a lot of junk mail & tend to delete anything with "hey" as the subject line :)

AjaBogdanoff
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Lol, I know, it always surprises me when people say they actually read my blog! :eek: Your models are looking AWESOME, though, Alison! I can't believe you made the little girl character in a day! Wow! :D

AM definitely doesn't encourage people to build their own characters unless they really know what they're doing (like Alison!). Instead, they provide a library of professional rigs for you to use in your short films. At the moment we've got 6 different body types available, and they're pretty awesome. :)

Bentagon
06-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, thank you sir.

I still need to convince my parents (because I still live with them, it works like that here), who thinks this is a major scam of some sort, because, you know, it's on the internet. I keep telling them it's backed up by Pixar, ILM, DNA and such, acknowledged by California State Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education, have more than a thousand current students.... and they won't listen.Matt's correct... studios aren't officially backing this school. The mentors are from those students, and the school *is* talking and keeping good relationships with the major studios, but it hardly goes that far. And we don't really have over a thousand students, just to make that clear too.

BUT it's all definitly worth the risk, that's for sure.

ThreeDave
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I just signed up for this course last week, and then found this thread. Now I'm in the process of waiting to see if I get accepted. My understanding is that it is a 3 part acceptance process where you fill out the information, including an essay (done), take an aptitude test (done), and then have your info and test reviewed (in process).

Seeing the results from the various students who have attended thus far is quite encouraging, so I really hope I get in.

Seems like a blast!

ThreeDave
06-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh man...

I signed up for this last week and I really do hope I get in. From what I understand, it is a three phase acceptance process: 1) Apply and submit essay (done), 2) take the aptitude test (done), 3) have all your stuff reviewed (pending).

I think I'm supposed to hear back by the end of this week as to whether or not I made it in for the Winter Quarter. Though I work a 40-60 hour a week job, and know this will be a serious grind at times, I can't wait.

Congrats to all who have made it in so far. Your work is quite inspiring to say the least!

mmkelly011881
06-26-2006, 11:58 PM
hmm.. maybe we should stop tellin people about AM.. all we're doin is making more competition for ourselves :)

AjaBogdanoff
06-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Funkmaster M. Kelly, shhh! They're on to us! :D

mmkelly011881
06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
all fresh meat (er new students) must visit all senior students all over the world and bring them cookies before joining the school

My Fault
06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
As if you guys could keep quiet for long. Aja bought that limited edition Buzz Lightyear Space Megaphone specifically for this purpose. :D

Kimotion
06-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Hey I just realized that starting this summer, AM will finally be a FULL school with all 6 classes filled!

Ollie_T
06-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Hey A|M fans!
I thought it may be of interest to let you know that one of the Animation Mentors is currently doing a live Q&A over at www.StrutYourReel.com. (http://www.strutyourreel.com) Victor Navone of Pixar has graciously taken his time to answer each and every question posted for him. Man, he is super-obliging as well as a mega-talent. Anyhow, swing by to chat w. him!

Chat w. Pixar's Victor Navone here. (http://www.strutyourreel.com)

http://www.navone.org/Media/Images3d/image/blitme.jpg

simps
06-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Yup, Maya 6 through 7 is supported, and my guess is that even when they do move up to 7 they'll continue to distribute .ma files that can be opened in earlier versions.

Just to comment on this. I started this past semester and was using maya 6 Unlimited. I really had a problem with the files. Some of the files, I could just open the files up in a text editor and change it manually. But some files didn't work no matter what(like the obstacle course). I had to download the PLE to get the assignment in on time. I eventually bought the student version of Maya 7. I cruised the AM forums and saw others with the same problem so I know I wasn't the only one.

ThePredator42
06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
"Dear Diary,

today is the 2nd day of my first AM holiday. Iīm beginning to suffer from bad withdrawals. I did some animation in Wordpad today, but itīs not the same. My coffee vendor said he has a new morgage on his house, and if my holidays last much longer he wonīt be able to pay it back. I was begging my friends to record video e-critiques, but they donīt know s*** about good critiquing. I am counting down the days until the next class starts - with charcoal on my office wall, but my boss said some very bad words about it. Oh, found some gum under the table. Iīm going to fetch my webcam and do some stop motion animation with it. Sigh. 5 more days!"

Hehe.. nah Iīm all fine again. Found my pills :)

Dropping in a link to my Class2 Reel (http://www.predators-lair.com/AM/Finals/212/Reel_Class_2_PAL_size.mov) anyway.
Wouldnīt mind if you left me a video Critique though... :-)

And a warm welcome to all the new summer folks!!!

Micha.

AjaBogdanoff
06-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Really simps? I didn't realize people were having trouble with it. Last I heard, the files were being created in Maya 6... maybe they've upgraded, or maybe I just don't know what the heck I'm talking about! :)

simps
06-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Really simps? I didn't realize people were having trouble with it. Last I heard, the files were being created in Maya 6... maybe they've upgraded, or maybe I just don't know what the heck I'm talking about! :)

Ya, it was mostly others who had Maya 6 Unlimited. Thank goodness for the student discount for Maya 7 :) . The only down side is now I have to buy another copy if I want to put it on my laptop as well since alias/autodesk won't let the copy I bought be transferable. No biggie.

It does feel weird this week not having any thing due or to upload. I want to hurry up and find out who my next mentor is!

AjaBogdanoff
06-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Whoa! Congrats to MattG on the front-page plug for his reel! :applause:

http://belligerentandnumerous.com/stuff/mattplugged.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=374728)

kpo
06-27-2006, 07:40 PM
hey guys! I got my log in information and already signed in. I can't wait for next week! unfortunately I have limited internet access this week since I'm on vacation so it'll be torture waiting for for mentor assignments and other news. But good luck to everyone- can't wait to see everyone on the other side... :thumbsup:

achavero
06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Dam!AM is currently between terms and i can't login...
what am i gonna do the rest of the day!

toonpang
06-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Seriously!!! The worst part is I didn;t know there was going to be a break so I logged in all excited to see the new lecture, get my new assignment, new mentor... BAH!! :scream:

raven3d
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
AM rocks! Can't wait to see all the awesome work that gets created this term!

Bentagon
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Gah! Nervous about my mentor! If it's not someone with 2D experience, I'll probably be taking a break, to focus on drawing some more. I hope that if I don't I can still get on the forums to say "see you later" or whatever.

- Benjamin

achavero
06-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Benjamin, maybe you should write to AM, so they can try to hook up with a mentor with 2D experience.

On Class 2, Anthony Wong from Pixar was my mentor and he has a lot of expertise with 2D animation from Mulan, Lion King, Hercules and Antartida before packing to Pixar. He was a campus mentor last term. Maybe he will still be campus mentor, so i was thinking you can write him and ask for his help two or three times during the term.

I submited various drawings during that class and he took the time to critique them. So I think he's very open to help people when he has time. Kira made great drawing animations with his help.

I hope this can help Benjamin.

Bentagon
06-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Benjamin, maybe you should write to AM, so they can try to hook up with a mentor with 2D experience.Hee hee. And you think I haven't already done that? ^^

Last term it just wasn't possible due to various reasons, but this quarter I didn't hear back from them yet. That's one of the reasons why I'm so nervous :-)

And I do know Anthony Wong. I had the pleasure of attending some of his make-up Q&A's, and he also replaced my mentor in my first quarter when she was gone for a week. We've had a bit of contact since through e-mail and those make-up Q&A's. Actually, he's been my biggest help 2D-wise at AM. It makes me want to have a 2D mentor even more. I believe there's so much stuff I could learn through critiques, and also just drawingwise.

Don't get me wrong, though, I don't want to have a 2D mentor just for drawing. It's mostly for other stuff. If I do get a 2D mentor now, I'll probably take a break to focus on drawing after this quarter. It's just that if I do have a 2D mentor this time, I don't want to miss out on that experience by taking a break. My drawing definitly needs work if I want to keep focussing on 2D, and there's just no way around that.

Thanks for the help though!

- Benjamin

mmkelly011881
06-28-2006, 12:09 AM

work on your projects :)

andy_maxman
06-28-2006, 04:23 AM
Nervous about my mentor! If it's not someone with 2D experience, ....

this feels so nice to even hear it....

i have always been disgruntled about not having 2d background and just kept wondering if a non-2d animator could do feature work...

with time and forums both here at cgT and AM i have come to believe that it surely is possible...

totallyExcited to be back in class....woohoo!!

*edit - hey Ben...my post is totally off-context to what you had to say...i hope its a 'no offence'....

ghDude
06-28-2006, 04:23 AM
Ya, it was mostly others who had Maya 6 Unlimited. Thank goodness for the student discount for Maya 7 :) . The only down side is now I have to buy another copy if I want to put it on my laptop as well since alias/autodesk won't let the copy I bought be transferable. No biggie.

It does feel weird this week not having any thing due or to upload. I want to hurry up and find out who my next mentor is!

i have complete not unlimited.. and I really don't want to spend on for a "minor" upgraded version.
hhhmmmm... I guess I'll wait and see

mmkelly011881
06-28-2006, 04:29 AM
it doesnt matter with any file that AM will give you whether it's complete or unlimited... theres nothing that unlimited has that you will need for AM

d_jnaneswar
06-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Cant wait to see who my mentor is! Cant wait to get back into AM!!

How Long Is This Going to Take?

Cant wait cant wait cant wait....

iliketheska
06-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Man I can't wait until I can get beyond the Orientation part of the site! Can't wait to meet all of you "on the inside" haha :)

hsharma
06-28-2006, 09:22 AM
hi

i have a couple of basic questions regarding AM:

1) is there anyone here who has been rejected by AM?
if so, did AM specify why they rejected you?

2) whats the criteria for assinging a particular student under a particular mentor?

3) are freshers clubbed together in one class and separated from students who have had some professional experience as character animators?

thanks for this great thread, you all.

h

corneliu
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
hi

2) whats the criteria for assinging a particular student under a particular mentor?

3) are freshers clubbed together in one class and separated from students who have had some professional experience as character animators?

h

I finished session 1 ... so I can only speak from this level.

1) I never heard of any rejection... at least nobody complained abut this...

2) Calsses are build by different timzones usually...

3) No... I am in a class with students that are allready in the character animation bussiness for 5 years

Anyway... the weekly assignments are so specific to the current problem that the student results are quiet similar - as long as the time spent is the same and it is somehow obvious. The big difference, actually, is the time you put into your assignment.

For ex you need to sketch poses and choose 1 to recreate in 3D...
The quality of your pose depends on clearly given aspects.
So the time you put into the different number and the brain you put into quality is up to you. This is not dependent on good draft ... there is much to say about this and better wait for your own to see what I mean.

The same with animation assignments... it is always up to you how far you push yourself.
The basic demand on the weekly assignment seems always simple, but after working for severel hours you start to understand what makes the difference and there is always room for more and more refine... so take care not to take it for to simple and wait for the last moment.

Do not lose your time with modeling texturing your scene for the assignment... do this later if you want for your final reel.
The assignments are very clear and you need all the time you are willing to put into them.

If you think you are done... post a Public Review ...and you will be surprised how many problems people arround you observ... also it is good to look at other public reviews because there are many details you get from other peoples aproach...

I hpoe this helps.:)

d_jnaneswar
06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
hi

h

I havent heard of anyone getting rejected.
Usually Time zones. Otherwise, pretty random.
Nope, they dont classify based on experience. besides, By term two, the gap in quality between experienced and non-experienced really gets smaller, ofcourse, it is dependent on your hard work. You follow what they say and you get good at animation. its as simple as that.

see you on the inside people!

dj

SkyZero
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Is anybody else going through AM withdrawals? I know the site is down but I check on it every now and then just to be sure I can't get in.... :D

achavero
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Freddy, I think is going to be in maintenance for the whole week.

AjaBogdanoff
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Is anybody else going through AM withdrawals?

*zzzt* No, of course not. *zzzt*

*zzzzttt!*

;)

And to answer an above question, yes, people have gotten rejected, I believe because of poor essays, but none have ever posted here to talk about it.

MadMax
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
And to answer an above question, yes, people have gotten rejected, I believe because of poor essays, but none have ever posted here to talk about it.

So an essay that says.........

"because flipping burgers sucks"

would be good or bad?

MadMax
06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Is anybody else going through AM withdrawals? I know the site is down but I check on it every now and then just to be sure I can't get in.... :D

it's up right now........

ThreeDave
06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
It's funny that you guys mention the thing about the essay. I'm a pretty jovial guy, and I tend to write things in a very light-hearted manner. So I submitted my essay, and while none of it was a lie, I did speak of things in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. After I submitted my stuff, I instantly started to panic that I had made a poor decision. After all, if I really wanted into the school, shouldn't I have been as heart-felt as possible with my essay?

So I wrote up a new one and sent it in via email, explaining that I felt I had made a terrible mistake with my first one. I almost instantly received an email back from someone in admissions saying that no mistake had been made, and not to worry at all.

So they seem somewhat accepting of all forms of essays...

Of course I still haven't been accepted yet... ;)

d_jnaneswar
06-28-2006, 06:36 PM
When do I get to Log In???

And guys, are there any globals coming up early this term? I gotta be there if such a thing happens. I wanna know early so that I can plan my schedule.

Any one got their new mentor emails?

d_jnaneswar
06-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Finally rendered my "sticky door" assignment from last term.. in case u were dying to check it out..;)

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room11/261968/pass00111.mpg (http://www.filelodge.com/files/room11/261968/pass00111.mpg)

AjaBogdanoff
06-28-2006, 06:41 PM
LOL, I don't think they'll mark you down for being enthusiastic or maybe a little tongue-in-cheek, and certainly not for failing to adhere 100% to the APA style guide, but I wouldn't want to submit a "because it beats flipping burgers" essay. Or the "I hate cartoons and I'm only doing this because my parents made me." essay. :)

FatFatFatty
06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I wrote an essay about how animation saved my life. It was a real tear jerker about how I was living on the streets hooked on the black tar with only a few non-collapsed veins left......I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Anyway, its a long story. It worked though. I got in!

Someone a few posts back, said that the site was up. Is it only up for continuing students? I'm still stuck on the orientation screen. Also, do they keep archives of students work from previous terms? I'd love to see how much students have progressed. I checked out some of the blogs and found that a few people actually keep them up to date (I know its difficult because sleep is more important) and found a few that had posted their work from the beginning of their studies. Its really amazing to see how much students have progressed. I'd like to see more of that.

I know the site's not up and it probably won't be until this weekend, but I still check it at least 5 times a day. Is there something wrong with me? or is that normal?

SkyZero
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
I wrote an essay about how animation saved my life. It was a real tear jerker about how I was living on the streets hooked on the black tar with only a few non-collapsed veins left......I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Anyway, its a long story. It worked though. I got in!

Someone a few posts back, said that the site was up. Is it only up for continuing students? I'm still stuck on the orientation screen. Also, do they keep archives of students work from previous terms? I'd love to see how much students have progressed. I checked out some of the blogs and found that a few people actually keep them up to date (I know its difficult because sleep is more important) and found a few that had posted their work from the beginning of their studies. Its really amazing to see how much students have progressed. I'd like to see more of that.

I know the site's not up and it probably won't be until this weekend, but I still check it at least 5 times a day. Is there something wrong with me? or is that normal?

It's just you...j/k! It happens to everbody man, part of the AM addiction. It gets worse though when you see how awesome the community is on the other side. Enjoy the free-time you have now...:thumbsup:

The site's up but we can't log in. They're transitioning between terms and probably getting prepared for the next one. Knowing this doesn't lessen my AM withdrawals though... :D

achavero
06-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't know what are the rules for writing an essay, because in Mexico we don't have that kind of things.

But when I applied almost a year ago, I just tried to resume my love for the animation during my life. I think my most strong part was that when i was 9 years old, my teacher gave a cero in her class because i had a whole notebook with around 70 "terror" stories that i did using stick men drawings.... after that i never wrote a story.

So this is like a second chance =D

Just be yourself and tell them how much you have tried to animate something.

fluffybunny
06-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Someone a few posts back, said that the site was up. Is it only up for continuing students? I'm still stuck on the orientation screen. Also, do they keep archives of students work from previous terms? I'd love to see how much students have progressed.

Well, for me it seems to be up at the moment and accessible, but I would not be surprised to see it go up and down throught the break as they tweak and adjust things, etc.

I'm almost certain that new students get access first thing Monday morning(PDT, i.e. GMT-8). I believe the idea here is that they want the support staff to be present so they can help out right away if need be.

Checking 5 times a day is certainly normal....I've been around for a few semesters and I'm still doing that..hehe :)

As far as checking out past student work, they recently(last term, I think) added a "progress reel" slot in workspaces and I believe almost everyone has been faithfully filling them with the compilation of their AM work. So the bottom line is that while you won't see the archived work next week when you log on, you should be able to see many finished tests from every continuing student.

I look forward to seeing your work!

eric

FatFatFatty
06-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Thanks Freddy and Eric. I look forward to seeing your work as well.

I think I only checked 4 times today, so as long as I stay away from my computer for rest of the night, I might just be on the road to recovery. Oh, maybe I can kill some time with a nice two hour bubble bath. Thats sounds delightful.

Tootles!

heathenPagan
06-29-2006, 03:41 AM
When do I get to Log In???

And guys, are there any globals coming up early this term? I gotta be there if such a thing happens. I wanna know early so that I can plan my schedule.

Any one got their new mentor emails?

Hey DJ,
Glad to see you're excited to get back in already...
I dunno about any globals as yet and I haven't recieved an email about mentors either...
At least I can log in again now...phheewwww... not sure about returnee's and n00bs though...
It'll be good to have you back on board, all you guys that took a break have been sorely missed...

Heath
=P

storyForge
06-29-2006, 02:50 PM
oy, one more day gone, 4 more days left, still don't know who my mentor is :(

Nitefyre
06-29-2006, 09:15 PM
still don't know who my mentor is

They generally don't tell us who are mentors are until the day or two before classes actually start. I would bet emails will go out friday afternoon or evening (PST, of course)

achavero
06-29-2006, 09:29 PM
They generally send the email on friday... but they like to send it at around 10pm PST... so wait until saturday to know who's gonna be your yoda master.

My Fault
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Just be patient, with each class added it gets tougher and tougher to assign mentors. Plus I think they get a lil evil glee from making everyone wait. :twisted:

When in doubt, grab a glass of wine and chill out. I know one particular mentee here who makes some badd a$$ vino. :thumbsup:

jschleifer
06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
don't worry, the mentors anxiously await the assignment of their mentees as well! especially as the classes go forward and we get to know the other students!

I know I was waiting on pins and needles to get brian!

mmkelly011881
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
look at the eyebrows class.... notice you cannot tell if the schleifer is getting ready to attack or give you a hug...

the only true way to know is if he is wearing his "hardass" hat

be afraid

-mmk

jschleifer
06-29-2006, 10:15 PM
look at the eyebrows class.... notice you cannot tell if the schleifer is getting ready to attack or give you a hug...

the only true way to know is if he is wearing his "hardass" hat

be afraid

-mmk

don't give away my secrets!

c'mere 'n git a hug..

My Fault
06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Haha Jason, although some people (like oh, Jaja) say dealing with me is like being stuck with pins and needles. Ouch!!

And after having him for a fantastic quarter I learned that as long as the Schleifer has a full coffee mug in his hand then you know that you are safe. Though you should run for the hills if it is empty or someone has mistakenly given him decaf!! :scream:

AjaBogdanoff
06-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Haha Jason, although some people (like oh, Jaja) say dealing with me is like being stuck with pins and needles.

Hey now, you swore you'd never mention that little voodoo habit of mine! Curse you!

;)

Nitefyre
06-30-2006, 01:23 AM
When in doubt, grab a glass of wine and chill out. I know one particular mentee here who makes some badd a$$ vino. :thumbsup:

:D Yes, yes, it does help numb the pain!

MadMax
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
clocks ticking.

I had to run to radio shack last night to get some extensions for my logitech headset since my computer sits so far away.

I've spent the last two weeks studying timing and such from the "Animator's Survival Kit" book.

MadMax
06-30-2006, 06:37 PM
UPDATE:

As of 11:00 am, all the site features are available to us. The menu bar now has all the faeatures shown in the orientation videos.

storyForge
06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I can't access everything yet!! is this for today or tomorrow?

AjaBogdanoff
06-30-2006, 06:49 PM
You guys probably won't have full access until Monday morning Pacific time. But you'll probably find out who your mentors will be today! :)

MadMax
06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I can't access everything yet!! is this for today or tomorrow?

Don't know dude.

I just went to the site and saw the extra menus were up. I didn't click any of them.

I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.

iliketheska
06-30-2006, 07:12 PM
You guys probably won't have full access until Monday morning Pacific time. But you'll probably find out who your mentors will be today! :)
Yes! And no! But oh well, I can wait a few more days to access the site. Can't wait to find out who my mentor is! :D

storyForge
06-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey, I just found out who my mentor is:)

Kevin Micallef (http://www.us.imdb.com/name/nm0584014/)

Well, looks like i'm that much closer :) hope to see everyone in the inside soon!

sinbad
06-30-2006, 08:54 PM
A year into AM, and I'm excited all over again! Bring on Class 5!:thumbsup:

MadMax
06-30-2006, 09:03 PM

Well, looks like i'm that much closer :) hope to see everyone in the inside soon!

Ryan Donoghue (http://imdb.com/name/nm1216303/) is my assigned mentor.

FatFatFatty
06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I got mine too. David Breaux!

achavero
06-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Where is that information??? I haven't receive any mail and can't login to AM

Visualz Sphere
06-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I just checked the site, my mentor is Greg Kyle.

iliketheska
06-30-2006, 09:16 PM
I didn't get an email, when you log in on the orientation homepage it tells you.
I have Pete Paquette! Can't wait to start!

achavero
06-30-2006, 09:27 PM
I think just the class 1 students can login, because when i logon i get the following message:

At this time we are currently in between terms. Please check back later

=p

dalmanna
06-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Ryan Donoghue (http://imdb.com/name/nm1216303/) is my assigned mentor.

hey madmax, i got ryan as well looks like we're class mates then:bounce:

storyForge
06-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Yah, you have to log in to see who you're mentor is, I did not receive any email about it.

kpo
06-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I got mine too. David Breaux!

I got David Breaux also!

hi classmate :thumbsup:

MadMax
06-30-2006, 10:50 PM
hey madmax, i got ryan as well looks like we're class mates then:bounce:

see you there images/icons/icon13.gif

FatFatFatty
06-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Now its says that I haven't been assigned a mentor. Oh, the emotional rollercoaster!

doctorbob
06-30-2006, 11:57 PM
i've been assigned keith sintay... anybody else got keith?

chrisg

paul.yan
07-01-2006, 12:03 AM

Me too! See you on the other side

Vespers
07-01-2006, 03:44 AM
I think I am about to quit art school and start animation mentor in the fall. I'm not a quitter or anything but I've recently come to the realization that my schools animation department is pretty lame. So, my plan is to do AM and then try for an internship. If the internship falls through or doesn't lead to work, I plan to transfer my credits to Academy of Art in SF and finish up my degree. Someone tell me I'm doing the right thing. My family thinks it's a stupid move but I feel it's absolutly necessary.

iliketheska
07-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Does the Mentors section of the main (public) site not work for anyone else?

Manta
07-01-2006, 05:42 AM

I also got Keith!

mmkelly011881
07-01-2006, 02:32 PM
dont worry guys.. the site is gonna be going on and off as they make updates and archive our files and videos...

dave logan.. love your site man... only issue is on your blog section i cant figure out a way to turn off the music.... i love ska too man but theres gotta be a way to turn them off

iliketheska
07-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words! The blog section, really? Weird! For the music on there I just used embed src's so it uses your default media player (for me it's QuickTime). Maybe I should just go through and change all of the embed src's to links....
I've gotten some complaints about the main section of the site being hard to turn off the music too (button hard to find) . . . no time like the present to fix it! :)

magan3D
07-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I got Pete Paquette too

Let the mouse clicking BEGIN :applause:

iliketheska
07-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Awesome, magan3D! Look forward to seeing you in class :)

Guemation
07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi there!

My mentor is: RYAN DONOGHUE for class 01!

Hello to my class mates dalmanna and madmax!!! Will C U at AM!

Greetz!:)

toonpang
07-01-2006, 06:04 PM
all you non-new students that are as impatient as me to find out who your next mento is...

You can't log in, but if you have an email from AM telling you you have a private message, it lets you into some of the site.. and, if you go into your grades section it shows your next mentor. :)

I got Morgan Kelly from Dreamworks.

-Kevin