PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

anthea
11-26-2005, 08:08 PM
in the AM forum bobby clarified that to be your week 9 assignment... so reupload the file you sent in on the 20th of November

Yes you have to upload something this sunday. you can..:

ReUpload your assignment from week 9

OR

Upload any progress you have made since week 9 if you were lucky enough to view an ecrit and make progress

either way your assignment you upload tomorrow will be counted for week 9

I am so psyched to get more time for this assignment! Woohoo!

Bentagon
11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
yeah, really interesting! :thumbsup:

I was surprised that there are "only" 400 students? That means that only the very first class almost reached the class limit?

Micha.I believe there were over 200 new students in fall, although I can't confirm this. I wanted to check, but after the server problems, the fall roster hasn't been re-uploaded, and that makes counting all the people a huge hassle. I think the reason there are "only" about 350-400 students is that there were quite a lot of people that took a break from AM (and some that just quit altogether) for all kinds of different reasons.

- Benjamin

Kimotion
11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the reason there are "only" about 350-400 students is that there were quite a lot of people that took a break from AM (and some that just quit altogether) for all kinds of different reasons.

- Benjamin

That article didn't use the word "only" did it? :shrug:

I think they said the school has grown up to 400 students.

Bentagon
11-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh no, I don't think so. Micha did, though :)
I was just replying on that.

- Benjamin

ThePredator42
11-26-2005, 09:18 PM
That article didn't use the word "only" did it? :shrug:

No it didnīt, hence the quotation marks. Itīs just I assumed it would be more, because I remember I read something about a little less than 300 making it into the very first class.

I was really only thinking about it because just recently, it came to my mind that student #1k must have enrolled already, and I wondered wether he/she got s.th.

splintah
11-28-2005, 11:36 PM
wow 6500 posts
is anybody still reading all that ?

anyway

i want to start animation mentor
and i will get a video camera for that
to shoot reference and so on
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2729418

please help me choose the right one

you probably have a whole lot more experience concerning using a camcorder for animation

mistafreeze
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
a cheap way out would be to use an isight, Kaidan makes an accessory kit for it as well, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=352596&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

i wish i could start the next semester, but noone at am has returned my emails from the website, i left a voice mail but heard nothing back either, =\ guess ill have to wait until some time later on next year. anyone happen to have an email address of someone i can email instead of their webbased gui?

-edit

actually just got accepted!!! not sure if I will still be able to sign up for classes as the end date is today.

olioli
11-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I got in!!

I'm flippin' out :bounce:

I thought for sure my essay was crap, not much of a writer, but I was able to convey my passion for this art and I well, I guess they saw that.

cant wait :applause:

mistafreeze
11-29-2005, 01:46 AM
lol i know i was beginning to feel the same, lets hope we can make jan's classes =P

olioli
11-29-2005, 01:55 AM
yeah, i think we can still make it, my acceptance email said that we should be receiving another email with additional instructions. It also said this would be on or around the 28th, so maybe later on this week we'll be able to register.

I think the 28th was the deadline to sign up...

simps
11-29-2005, 02:10 AM
ya, I haven't received my sign up package yet, but since they've had problems with their site plus the thanksgiving holiday, I don't expect it till later in the week.

olioli
11-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Being as how I just got accepted into the jan class, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have graduated from the first course.

What can I expect from the curriculum that is in place right now for the first class.

I'm a newbie to the world of animation, so I don't really know what to expect.

I visit the student blogs and I see a lot of bouncing balls and a few different poses (for the first course). How was the progression, since you only have a week to learn/grasp the material and to produce it. Has anyone fallen behind, has it been challenging, are the mentors patient with you...

I'm very excited for the opportunity and plan to give it all I've got...even with a full time job. But money doesn't grow on trees where I'm from, so I'm just trying to get an idea as to what to expect to get the most out of the AM experience.

Thanks.
:beer:

mikefeil
11-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Being as how I just got accepted into the jan class, I have a couple of questions for those of you who have graduated from the first course.

What can I expect from the curriculum that is in place right now for the first class.

I'm a newbie to the world of animation, so I don't really know what to expect.

I visit the student blogs and I see a lot of bouncing balls and a few different poses (for the first course). How was the progression, since you only have a week to learn/grasp the material and to produce it. Has anyone fallen behind, has it been challenging, are the mentors patient with you...

I'm very excited for the opportunity and plan to give it all I've got...even with a full time job. But money doesn't grow on trees where I'm from, so I'm just trying to get an idea as to what to expect to get the most out of the AM experience.

Thanks.
:beer:

Hey hows it going, I'm just about to finish up on the first class, so I might be able to give you some good answers

- The course that is in place for class 1 is excellent, it starts off very easy and it gets a little bit harder each week e.g. animate a ball, then next week, animate a ball of two weights, then add some squash and stretch now lets add a tail and do some overlap. The course right now for class 1 is awesome. This doesnt mean its going to be a walk in the park, you will be challenged each week and you should challenge yourself if you want to see an improvement each week!

On a side note, all of you winter folk will prob be coming into am.com V2...and there are going to be lotttttsss of awesome things going on with that.

- There are plenty of people who have never animated before. I have a few friends in my class, who came in knowing nothing about animation and there work jumps in leaps and bounds each week, really amazing. For those of you who are going to be doing this in 3d and haven't touched Maya yet - I think you should start getting use to how its animation system works - especially the graph editor and timeline, so you can really hit the ground running (don't worry there is also maya video lectures too)

- The progression for me has been amazing, I can honestly say that I have def. improved over this 3 months (wow sooooo quick). I have learnt so many things -THE 12 PRINCIPLES ARE GOD being one of many. I think the amount of week you do and the week you get is enough, if you plan out your week right and don't leave things to the last minute, you will have plentttyy of time.

It is challenging expecially when you get to the end, and your doing walks and stuff, you should try and challenge yourself in one way or another each week tho, even with the most basic assigments - really make sure you understand what is being taught e.g. squash and stretch, spacing, timing, arcs, overlap etc. Really make sure you are grasping these EXTREMELY important concepts.

The mentors are simply amazing, you can ask them any question you want in your QnA's. You get amazing feedback which lets you push your work that extra mile. They are pretty much all champions and are extremely nice guys and girls!

- There are lots of people who have full time jobs and famlies that do am, and they create the most amazing work!

Basically, if you want to learn animation - Then do animation mentor. The online boundaries are not as massive as some may think.

ThePredator42
11-29-2005, 09:33 AM
YES and here comes the acceptance letter! Iīll be seeing you all in a few weeks!

Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh Iīll be animating the next 1 1/2 yrs. of my life!!

And look at that neat Mentee line under my avatar!! Yip yip!

mttjss
11-29-2005, 12:41 PM
simps - olioli - predator42

glad to meet you guys and look forward to listening to you guys bash my work :D

to those already in AM - when we fork up the first class tuition - then do we get to roam the AM halls?

thanks.

Matt -

AjaBogdanoff
11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Welcome folks! You're gonna have a blast. And work your tails off! :wip:

Matt, no, you won't have full access to the site until the first day of classes, either at midnight that morning, or at the start of the business day in California, I don't remember which. But before then you'll get to do fun stuff like choose a screen name and ask us what you should do to prepare ;) . And you'll find out who your mentor will be sometime during the week before classes start, and that's always super-exciting. :)

Woo, new students! This is gonna be fun. :applause:

ThePredator42
11-29-2005, 01:12 PM
any more recommended books that would come in useful?

I finished The Animators Survival Toolkit and Illusion of Life, and I wonder what could be next?

Btw., I heard plenty of praise about IoL - but it still was an understatement. That book is pure gold!

Micha

achavero
11-29-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm finishing the first class and all I can say is awesome!!!

I'm a computer engineer trying to redirect my life to what I really love and animationmentor has give me a unique opportunity, because I don't have to go to study in the US, to be mentor by some of the best animatiors of this century.

I definitively feel that I improve day by day and I'm so excited to learn more and more from my classmates and mentors.

What I recommend to the new generations is to start using Maya (just the ones who are not experts in other 3D softwares) so when classes start you don't have problems the first weeks trying to understand how the hell you move the tangents of your curves.

To the new winter generation welcome and see you in classes

powerwave3d
11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
I plan on applying next year (summer or fall) and I keep reading posts that mention this "test" that you have to take during the application process... I'm not asking for anyone to violate any ethical or contractual aggreement, but what is this "test"?

thanks in advance,

Bentagon
11-29-2005, 04:22 PM
I do believe we could login to the forums before we could login to the main site... but I don't know exactly from what time that was allowed.

- Benjamin

DigitalToon2
11-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Aja's right you won't have access to AM till the first day of class. When I started in the fall we could get on the forum but couldn't get onto our workspaces till around 11 or 12 PST. But who know's with V2 coming this winter quarter I think the forums and the workspaces are linked so that will be way cool. :)

ThePredator42
11-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I plan on applying next year (summer or fall) and I keep reading posts that mention this "test" that you have to take during the application process... I'm not asking for anyone to violate any ethical or contractual aggreement, but what is this "test"?
thanks in advance,

This test is basically a 6-week drill program in the south american jungle.. you learn to hunt your food, grow your own coffee, stay up for weeks w/o sleeping, etc. This is necessary to be able to survive the AM course. And you see how animals move, either from you (good) or to you (bad)

:-)

Naa.. itīs your average multiple choice test. It covers knowledge of the english language, logical thinking, maths. Itīs an online test with 30 questions that have to be answered in a time frame of 8 minutes. Itīs neither hard nor easy, and I think itīs sole intent is to make sure you arenīt dumb. Hehe..

mgarward
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
This test is basically a 6-week drill program in the south american jungle.. you learn to hunt your food, grow your own coffee, stay up for weeks w/o sleeping, etc. This is necessary to be able to survive the AM course. And you see how animals move, either from you (good) or to you (bad)
And yet, even after passing this test, AM is still hard! At least I haven't lost any more limbs since the actual AM course started. And my coffee-growing skills have really come in handy.

Sometimes at night, I can still hear the haunting sounds of rabid Tailors, calling to each other in the trees...

mttjss
11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
another question.... (hehe -just wait, I am sure I will have more!) :D

How important are your blogs for AM and critiques?
I check out as many AM blogs (http://p.webring.com/hub?ring=animationmentorb) as I can each day and love to watch each of your progression.
I have my website my brother is polishing up for me so I can post topics and my animations and I was just seeing how much each of you use yours?

thanks.

Matt -

mttjss
11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
I have the no sleep thing down already, but I do not know squat about growing coffee beans. My fridge seems to grow its own food so I think I am ok there as well :shrug:

mgarward
11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
How important are your blogs for AM and critiques?
You don't need one at all. All your AM work will be on the AM site. I have a blog and gallery for my stuff for three reasons. My blog is a dumping ground and rambling place, when I have time... my brain fills up and I need to get stuff out sometimes. My gallery is to show friends and family what I'm up to, since they can't see my AM workspace. And I also use the gallery for work-in-progress critiques... it's higher-quality, and I can post links to my assignments in the AM forums with a call for feedback. And, again, for feedback from people outside of AM. But that's just me.:) There's no requirement to have a blog or website at all.

olioli
11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone :bounce:

look foward to it :applause:

AjaBogdanoff
11-29-2005, 05:40 PM
My fridge seems to grow its own food so I think I am ok there as well.

There's something growing in my fridge, but it sure as heck ain't food... ;)

Metro-Digital
11-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Is the AM site down? I cant seem to access anything.

mttjss
11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
seems to be working fine on my end.:shrug:

Matt -

Nitefyre
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Is the AM site down? I cant seem to access anything.

I was having touble getting into the site and the forums this morning for a few min. I'm sure they are still working on the computer issues and having little hiccups. Usually you can give it 10 min and everything is back to normal.

simps
12-01-2005, 02:09 PM
This might have been answered already, but after being excepted(passing the test), how long does it take to get the exceptance package/email? I still haven't recieved mine.

MartinK
12-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi simps. I've got my acceptance-mail(confirmation that a place had been reserved) two months ago. It said that an enrollement-package was going to be emailed me "on or about November 28th". I still haven't received this mail, so I guess they're a bit delayed due to the server-problems. Good to know I'm not the only one :)

Martin K

olioli
12-01-2005, 04:04 PM
same here,

we'll probably hear something soon

simps
12-01-2005, 04:15 PM
ah ok, good to know I'm not the only one. I'm just being my paranoid self. :)

ThePredator42
12-02-2005, 07:40 AM
I got my registration package a few hours ago.

simps
12-02-2005, 01:08 PM
yep me too!

toonpang
12-02-2005, 04:11 PM
I got my registration package a few hours ago.

Same here.. see you guys on the 9th!!

-Kevin

olioli
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
alright fellas, I'm filling out mine as we speak :applause:

see ya the 9th :bounce:

d_jnaneswar
12-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey Winter AMers.. welcome!

Im sure you are gonna have a blast... Many of you might be wonder what else you could do to be that extra "ready" when you get to see these animation ninjas face to face, dishing out some awsome animation goodness right at your face.

One thing I would highly recommend is to pick up Maya as soon as possible.. go to a place like www.learning-maya.com (http://www.learning-maya.com) or www.alias.com (http://www.alias.com) and go to tutorials and do a couple of basic beginner tutorials.. and then do a couple of animaton tutorials... Then go to the Maya section of cgtalk and ask your questions. Basically, get used to Maya as much as possible.. Its pretty simple really(atleast, the part that you need for AM is...). You will have Maya tuts in AM , but I personally think that it is so much better to know that stuff beforehand. I know a couple of students kinda lag in the beginning because of that.. They caught up with the rest prety fast, but they struggled a bit in the beginning.. So, to avoid such Maya-evil, better to get used it.. I must point out that none of them was struggling with animation per say.. only that they were struggling a bit to get their animatoins thru maya.. their concepts about animation were as sound as what many of us have..

Next thing.. be prepared to have huge selfmotivation...u would need that week in and week out, to give AM the best u can.. I am trying hard to do that...cuz I dont want to looze one second of this precious time where we have access to all these Animation-Demigods, answering our every query.. its really easy to slack off... I know I did slack off oneweek. thanks to AM forums, I was back on track the next.. Time at AM is just priceless!!

The last and final thing... HAVE FUN!!! AND RELAX!! You wont looze your job if you do anything wrong with your animation assignment.. experiment with it..Dont be afraid to screw it up... your mentor will untangle it for you anyway.. but make sure to learn from it... just make sure that you have done your assignment enough times.. wether you did it the wrong way or the right way.. so that by the end.. you could really say.. "yeah.. I gave that assignment all I could...and Ive had SO MUCH FUN DOING IT!! I had my bouncing ball with a tail jump off this ramp.. slide thru that part and then stop and then turnaround and run away.. cuz theres this Giant Fat Bouncing ball bouncing towards it.... That was fun..." that kind of a thing.. you get the general idea.. dont ya..

And P.S. be ready to read huge posts like this and still be awake to get a better suggession in the next post...you will be needed to do a lot of that in the AM forums..

Cant wait to see what you guys get to the table...
dj

MartinK
12-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks d_jnaneswar!

It's gonna be some hard weeks with waiting until the 9th :)
See you!

Martin K

ThePredator42
12-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Years ago it seemed that the last few weeks before christmas would never pass... and now??
I gotta re-design my christmas-calender to count up to the the 9th :)

Has there been any update on the AM T-Shirts?

Micha.

Muan
12-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Thank you d_jnaneswar for your hearty welcome and posting tips :thumbsup:

I'll start in January :eek:

And by reading all 6542 posts of this thread the past weeks I got more and more excited !!!

Just another five weeks :bounce:

andy_maxman
12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
DJ is done a great job in what he has to say about preparing yourself for AM...and he has pretty much hit the main essence of grasping the concepts of the fcurve / graph editor in maya.

meanwhile, if you can...clone yourself. you are about to jump right into the animation world bank.

congrats folks!

ThePredator42
12-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey Muan, welcome to the club!

Way cool, I wonīt be the only German starting Winter 06 :bounce:

Muan
12-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks Micha :)

So I won't be the only one here getting up at 4 a.m. for the Q. & A. sessions ;-)

ThePredator42
12-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Yeah. Thanks for reminding me. LOL

:cry:

jwr38
12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
I really want to sign up but I am unsure when the start dates are.

I finish working at my current job in July and would like to start the course around that time. which one would be better, spring or summer?

does anyone know the start dates of either?

to those in the course, do you think it has been worth the $14,000?

thanks to those that can help me out.

harmonic01
12-11-2005, 08:48 PM

I havn't spent that much money yet since I just finished class 2. But worth wise... APSOLUTELY! Worth every single penny. Lectures are amazing, full of info you HAVE to know and very clearly explained. Having top notch mentors at your disposal to give you personal e-critique and answer any question that pops in to your head is a Huge value as well. I think it would be safe to say that most AM students would agree with me. :D

mmkelly011881
12-11-2005, 11:07 PM
waahooo
congrats peter on being featured student!!

great stuff so far man

achavero
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Every single penny, what you get from AM is far away from your wildest dreams. Just check out the blogs of some of the students. At the beginning I had my doubts because of the virtual classroom, but they dissapeared inmediately, because you don't feel that you are learning by your own with some DVD stuff you bought. Instead somebody is there all the time to help you with your doubts, giving feedback or just talking about the animation world.

I already finish the first class and I'm missing already my new assignment and my mentor ecritique.

This is an experience that will make you proud of being part of such an amazing school.

d_jnaneswar
12-13-2005, 11:10 PM
14,000? for me, its could easily be worth thrice that.... especially if you decide to spend full time on it... Its more about how much time u put into it.. how much you strive to learn... Im doing full time on AM, and I am always busy learning.. my non animation friends look at my animation now and are asking "who did that cool stuff?" where previously they used to say "nice work dj... he really looks like he is delivering the dialogue..." Talk about improvement.... im certainly more than happy...

dj

AjaBogdanoff
12-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Heh, I took out more than four times that in loans to go to a traditional 4-year university, and would have gladly spent that money on AM instead if it had existed at the time. I think we're getting an insanely good deal out of this. :)

harmonic01
12-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Heh, I took out more than four times that in loans to go to a traditional 4-year university, and would have gladly spent that money on AM instead if it had existed at the time. I think we're getting an insanely good deal out of this. :)

I did exactly the same and of the exact same oppinion. :p

mikefeil
12-15-2005, 09:11 AM
For all the new peeps coming in, I just uploaded my Foundations 'Reel' up. This is all the work that you will be doing in this class. Anyway cool, its a great course and you will make friends with some great people :D. Look forward to meeting all the new comers and seeing some great work.

my website is http://www.mikefeil.net

AjaBogdanoff
12-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Nice, Mike! Wasn't it just yesterday you were worried about not getting your acceptance info? :)

Ack, I can't believe my class is halfway through the program now! Someone slow this thing down, I don't want it to end. :)

My Fault
12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Ack, I can't believe my class is halfway through the program now! Someone slow this thing down, I don't want it to end. :)

It only looks like it is half way done because you are standing on your head Jaja!

AjaBogdanoff
12-15-2005, 03:32 PM
You're right! When I flip over, it looks half-full! :D

Thank you Dr. Nicolooch, you're a lifesaver! :beer:

pmiles
12-15-2005, 04:18 PM
My advice to new incoming students?

The school is set up in a particular way to help you fully grasp certain concepts. It is EASY to side track yourself into being "creative" or "clever" at the expense of the learning objective. The key thing to remember is that class one is foundations... meaning it will be new to some of you, and old hat to others. I kid you not, the students who grow the most in this school are those who stick to the lessons as outlined. You are not being graded on what you know, but rather on whether or not you have met the course objectives. All the fancy lighting and effects in the world will not make up for an even animation... or one that lacks a sense of weight, balance, or what have you. Class 2 will most definitely require your creative hat... class 1 will later in the class... fight the temptation to turn a simple exercise into a short story. Master the basics first, then play around. This first class is probably the only level that you will have time to really practice them without having to deal with a whole bunch of other requirements. Really practice them... sometimes the easiest things to do are the most difficult to master... mainly because you don't give them the credit that they are due.

swadepgh
12-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Same here. AnimationMentor is a much better place to throw your money (or loans) if character animation is what you want to do. Of course I didn't go to a 4 year animation school. I foolishly went for something else because I didn't realize that you could do animation for a living. I didn't really know anything about it. I wish I had known what I wanted to do right out of high school...but then again it was a fun journey getting to the point where I am now. :)

mikefeil
12-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Nice, Mike! Wasn't it just yesterday you were worried about not getting your acceptance info? :)

it is crazy how fast time goes when your doing this course. I feel like I was doing my ball a week ago.

jwr38
12-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Sounds good. I want to sign up for the summer term. I will be finihing wok hen to look after my new born. I hope I will have time.

Looking forward to starting. :)

ThePredator42
12-16-2005, 11:23 AM
It is EASY to side track yourself into being "creative" or "clever" at the expense of the learning objective. The key thing to remember is that class one is foundations... meaning it will be new to some of you, and old hat to others. I kid you not, the students who grow the most in this school are those who stick to the lessons as outlined.

Thanks for that start-up tip. Iīll try to live by that.

anthea
12-17-2005, 07:21 PM
it is crazy how fast time goes when your doing this course. I feel like I was doing my ball a week ago.

tell me about it!! so much has changed in my life for the better since starting AM 9 months ago. I could never in my wildest dreams could have known how inspiring AM would be. I am truly lucky to have been a part of it. I am going to miss being a student next semester, so jealous about V2!!!

To answer the question about is AM worth it financially? I say definetely YES. It is the Cheapest animation school out there, so it makes it all the more valuable since it is also the best! I paid $50000 for a Masters in 3D which I couldn't get any jobs for 2 years after! So is AM worth it! Heck yeah! But just signing up isn't going to make you an overnight success, you are going to have to put in the blood sweat and tears to make that happen, AM can only guide you on the right path. The rest is up to you!

Good luck all my fellow AM'ers.

rblitz7
12-21-2005, 06:42 PM
@mikefeil wow I love your sneaky walk in your foundations reel! Nice going!

philippeduvin
12-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey guys just wanted to give you a quick update about Animation Lounge.

Pretty soon, we 'll have the honour to have as a second interview, Mr Shawn Kelly !

http://www.animationlounge.com/index.php?topic=168.0

Stay tuned you guys :)

And merry Xmas to yall !!! Animation rules !

xino
12-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Sadly, while I was able to get in AM, I'm not able to meet the financial requirements. Good luck to those of you who do have money and good credit though. ;)

Kimotion
12-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Bummer Xino. I was looking forward to seeing your work and have you critique mine!

xino
12-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Bummer Xino. I was looking forward to seeing your work and have you critique mine!

Sadly, me too. Of course there are always other places we can disparage each other's work and say "man that left hand pinky didn't move right. redo everything." ;)

One way or another, I'll be learning more about animation either on my own or I'll find a good enough paying job so I can attend. Maybe they'll change the payment options soon. Ya never know.

AjaBogdanoff
12-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy first night of Hanukkah tomorrow, O Monster Thread. May the new year find you just as crazy as the last. ;) :love:

andy_maxman
12-24-2005, 03:39 PM
i love this thread...i love the school....i love the folks who run it and those who work just non-stop behind the scenes to keep the pieces together....i love the energy which is AM....its one of the best things for someone who is away halfway across the globe....its a huge high...the sheer fact of interaction with classmates and their super valuable comments.....

i really miss the frenzy that was march 17th.....it was so much fun when this page blew up with 30-40 pages in a few hours.....i think the closest feel-alike would have been the autodesk takes over alias thread.....

great advices there pam, and all the newbies are in for some real animation treat....

merry christmas everyone....and have a great new year....

-anand

sinbad
12-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Just thought I'd chip into Mr Monster thread, and say Merry Christmas to all AM students present and future.

This time next year, I'll finally have completed the course. Lordy has it been 6 months already?

take care all

paul

sergeantT
12-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah (same day this year!)
See you all in January. It's gonna be a great new year.

Rob

DigitalToon2
12-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Happy Holidays everyone!

Kimotion
12-25-2005, 11:22 PM
i really miss the frenzy that was march 17th.....it was so much fun when this page blew up with 30-40 pages in a few hours.....

I don't miss that at all! I remember that I still haven't made up my mind to take AM even at that point. I was so stressed out! But it was very entertaining to watch all the posts, refreshing the page every minute only to see 10 more posts.

ZenMaster
12-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi,

I 've been accepted by AM in the Winter Term 2006.

I have a question which I can't find the answer for.

My question is this; When we have a session with the mentor is it a private session, one on one, or it's class session with other mentees? Then we get a pre-recorded critique of our wok that we watch during the week.

Is this right?

Louis

SheepFactory
12-27-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi,

I 've been accepted by AM in the Winter Term 2006.

I have a question which I can't find the answer for.

My question is this; When we have a session with the mentor is it a private session, one on one, or it's class session with other mentees? Then we get a re-recorded critique we watch during the week.

Is this right?

Louis

When you have a session with a mentor it is like a class session with all the other mentees of your mentor. then you also get the recorded crits every week.

ZenMaster
12-27-2005, 05:43 AM
thx Sheep.

So same question about the Live Q&A? How does it work? Is it private, one on one or with other mentees? And how often are they?

LE

My Fault
12-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Live Q&A's are the sessions with the mentors. They happen once a week and include all the students who are in your mentors group, usually 15 students total. They are normally 1 hour, though they do go over sometimes.

You also get a critique each week by your mentor that covers that particular assignment. Also roving campus mentors will critique your work.

The lectures each week average about 1 hour. There is also a video that explains your assignment in greater detail, usually a few minutes. Also weekly video news that covers the school and anythig special the AM staff wants to go over. You will also see interviews with various artists and animators and workflow videos. There is a heck of a lot to see.

Then you will have access to the forums which are pretty vast and you can usually find a few digital daily sessions held by the students. Those are large webcam video sessions with up to 25 fellow students. You can get (and give) very indepth critiques and the sessions are normally 2 hours in length.

You will definitely stay very busy :)

ZenMaster
12-27-2005, 06:11 AM
That was very detailed and helpful.

Thx Brian.

LE

My Fault
12-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Woooo, the new AM website is up and it is sweeeeet. So many improvements and the new community chat is both awesome in that you can chat with tons of people around the clock and scary in that you can chat with tons of people around the clock :)

You new mentees are gonna love it. Ok, back to V2!

Bentagon
12-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah Brian, idem dito.

I can't say enough good things about the new site... and it's still in beta, but running really smoothly! Everyone who hasn't seen it yet is gonna be amazed. I wonder what the official non-member site is going to look like... Shawn said it looks awesome :)

- Benjamin

anthea
12-29-2005, 09:04 PM
V2 rules!!

you guys are going to love it!

3FnD
12-30-2005, 10:20 AM
V2 is rockin'. The old version worked and we dealt, but you new (Winter 06) kiddies have no idea how big a jump this is!

DigitalToon2
12-30-2005, 01:51 PM
V2 is rockin'. The old version worked and we dealt, but you new (Winter 06) kiddies have no idea how big a jump this is!

Exactly! V2 is amazing!

Loverboy
12-30-2005, 02:29 PM
wow, I find this really amazing, but I would like to see some work of my fellow Icelandic friend P

toonpang
12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
you new (Winter 06) kiddies have no idea how big a jump this is!

Sweeet.. I can't wait to get started. :D

-Kevin

toonpang
12-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Anyone here using Linux for AM? I see that Mac's and Windows are supported, but would there be any reason I couldn't use Linux?

I'll be on OSX again once the IntelMac's ship but for now All I got is my Athlon 64 that I'd prefer to be running Linux on than Windows.

-Kevin

AjaBogdanoff
12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
The redesign of the site is way cool. :buttrock: The old design was cool too, but this is a whole new ballgame! Everything back in one beautiful interface, higher quality videos, really cool new ways of getting around to people's workspaces... and a really dangerously addictive new chat room to use. :D I wonder what the public site will look like!

rblitz7
12-31-2005, 01:14 AM
Anyone here using Linux for AM? I see that Mac's and Windows are supported, Is it? cause on AM site it says this
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9316/picture11wy.png

toonpang
12-31-2005, 07:06 AM
Is it? cause on AM site it says this
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9316/picture11wy.png

Yea, check it ou here: http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/1005/feature_mac.html

I figured cuz they support OSX Firefox, I could get away with using Linux. If not, no biggie I'll just run Windows, I'd just rather not if possible.

-Kevin

AjaBogdanoff
12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Yep, Macs are supported now. I bet they'll be updating that FAQ when the public V2 site goes up. :)

Jozvex
12-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Yep, without a doubt V2 is really amazing!

:bowdown:

sergeantT
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Everyone starting Winter 2006 getting pumped? I am! And now with the added deliciousness of V2? I'm off-the-mammalian-scale excited. And a bit nervous too.

So I've been drawing, playing with the graph editor, checking email...
You know, to stay calm.

Muan
01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I still haven't get my student-ID, so I still can't get in :sad:

Checking my mailbox every morning....
Hoping it didn't get lost on the way from California to Germany...
I guess I'm too nervous....hopefully...

By the way...don't blame me...but what is V2?

I wish you all a Happy New Year !

Anja

DigitalToon2
01-03-2006, 06:39 PM
I still haven't get my student-ID, so I still can't get in :sad:
By the way...don't blame me...but what is V2?
Anja

V2 is the new version of the animation mentor website. It's super cool, and you guys are going to love it! See everyone monday!

My Fault
01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Beware the new community chat inside V2, it is crazy addictive. You can jump on at all hours of the day/night and run in to students, mentors, BOOM.... it kicks some serious boot-ay. It will be really huge for group crits and such. And the new e-critique setup, wow, so good.

sergeantT
01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Beware the new community chat inside V2, it is crazy addictive. You can jump on at all hours of the day/night and run in to students, mentors, BOOM.... it kicks some serious boot-ay. It will be really huge for group crits and such. And the new e-critique setup, wow, so good.

You're making us newbsters jealous, ya bum ya!

bdepper
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm also starting in the Winter and the calendar is dragging by. When is it typical to get our logins for the site? I've sent in my paperwork and payment but haven't heard much since. I did get a confirmation of payment but I guess I was hoping for a timeline of when things might be happening. I'm waiting as patiently as I can.
Bill

DigitalToon2
01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm also starting in the Winter and the calendar is dragging by. When is it typical to get our logins for the site? I've sent in my paperwork and payment but haven't heard much since. I did get a confirmation of payment but I guess I was hoping for a timeline of when things might be happening. I'm waiting as patiently as I can.
Bill

Anyone just starting won't be able to login till monday and yes the chat is very addicting so prepare yourselves, acturally the whole AM community is addicting there's so much to learn and soak up from your your mentors and fellow students. Most likly you wont find out who your mentor is till friday, at least that's the way they did it for the fall quarter. And if you haven't gotten your student id, I don't remember exactly when that came don't worry b/c class 1 doesn't really have an assignment the first week so you'll have plenty of time to order maya if you need to. Good Luck!

sergeantT
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Bill

Hey Bill, miss New England yet?
Didn't think so :-)

I just got this email from AM:

-----------------------
Hey Rob,

Everything is very good. Your paperwork and payment is all in and you
should be receiving a student account set-up email today or tomorrow
which will allow you to begin orientation.

Thanks,

Francis Choung
Student Support Supervisor
AnimationMentor.com
510-809-1177, ext. 31

--------------

So it should be on it's way!

Rob

bledsoed
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
you'll get your log in info sometime later this week, but wont beable to actually sign into and view the site until monday. I know all about the excitment all you new guys are going through, and trust me its worth the wait, especially with V2! it rocks, the old site was cool but the new one just feels i dont know umm "right"

looking forward to greeting all the newbsters next week and chetching up with fellow mentees.
-derek

aes
01-04-2006, 04:42 AM
:bounce: I'm in!!!

Didn't really seem real until I got my log in email today. (Especially since they never let me know they got the money, I was getting ready to call them up)

Haven't been able to find the answer to this question yet:

Can I use the MAYA PLE version?

I seem to recall something about not being supposed to, but I don't see anything about it now.

See you Monday!!

-Alonso

harmonic01
01-04-2006, 04:46 AM
aes. Maya PLE is fine. some students used it. You'll just have a watermark on your previews/renderings and viewport.

Good luck at AM, have fun and welcome. :D

aes
01-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Wow, you're fast!

Another question, what about the webcam? Where's a good place to get one?

The logitech they recommend I only find for $30 from questionable sellers on Amazon, everywhere else it's $50. That headphones, microphone thingie comes seperate also right?

Now I can't wait to start!

-Alonso

harmonic01
01-04-2006, 05:04 AM
In Canada on boxing day, you can get it for $10 canadian. :) heh heh heh.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I think I got a creative web cam I think (not home right now so can't check) for $30 and it works great. I got it from Staples.

any headphones will do. :)

Good luck.

toonpang
01-04-2006, 05:41 AM
I just created my AM account as well. To friggin cool!

For the webcam I got the Logitech Quickcam 5000, it comes with a headset.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BDH2XY/qid=1136356787/sr=8-5/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-1212318-0308664?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

See you all in class!!

-Kevin

ThePredator42
01-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Yay I had my login data in my inbox this morning.

Now I have to sit thru a (what seems endless) workday before I can log in this evening!

Canīt wait!!

:bounce:

Micha.

Edit:
One question, before I make a mistake that haunts me for the next 18 moths: I choose my login, right? So what do you guys use? Your real name? Usual forum nick? I remember I read some funny stuff in this threat about ppl picking logins that they later regretted.

mikefeil
01-04-2006, 07:57 AM
I would use my actual name, but it doesn't really matter that much now because in V2 you can change all your information with the click of a button.

sinbad
01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
ThePredator42: It doesnt matter what login you use in V2. Inside the site, everyone's real name is used. I would stick to using your real name anyway to be honest. You get known as the person you are, not some clever or shadowy nickname. AM isnt just a forum for CG enthusiasts, its a school.

aes: Ive seen one or two students use the Maya PLE, but I would be careful. The conditions for use clearly stipulate that this should be used for personal learning, not education. Get the educational version, at least you can see what you are doing. The watermark will drive you nuts whilst you are animating, plus criting your work will be a pain for everyone else.

Keep above board and legit I say, it will save you worrying. There is a serious discount for AM students for maya educational licence anyway.

Paul (Class 3)

achavero
01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Yay I had my login data in my inbox this morning.

Now I have to sit thru a (what seems endless) workday before I can log in this evening!

Canīt wait!!

Micha.

Edit:
One question, before I make a mistake that haunts me for the next 18 moths: I choose my login, right? So what do you guys use? Your real name? Usual forum nick? I remember I read some funny stuff in this threat about ppl picking logins that they later regretted.

For v2 version you can use whatever username you want, because AM change everything and now everything is signed with your real name.

V2 rocks! I'm desperate to start the new term and start making animations. The whole school is really addictive... It's a real challenge trying to survive the vacations without AM... because everthing is so cool that you don't want to finish.

To all new students, welcome to one of the most awesome schools in the world! :cool:

ThePredator42
01-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Waaah this is super awesome!

I had to wait through a winXP installation before I could finally log in for the first time and go through the video orientation. And now itīs past 1 am and I didnīt even realise the time LOL

I canīt WAIT until monday! This is sooo exciting!

bdepper
01-05-2006, 03:27 PM
I magically got my info. email after posting here so... I wonder who my mentor will be. It worked last time, so maybe my mailbox will be full when I get home tonight. Perhaps a plate of cookies and some milk might help as well. ;)

Starting to bounce up and down like my kids have been for the past month.

ZenMaster
01-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I am IN for the Winter 2006 term and I had my Orientation Day session yesterday night. IT was cool stuff.

See you gyus at the AM chats rooms.

LE

Stickman116
01-05-2006, 09:37 PM
looks interesting and worth it.

My Fault
01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Man, they keep making the new V2 AM site better and better every day. All the new students will love it and all us old codgers appreciate the improvements and how much it makes our lives easier. Sweeeet!

Bentagon
01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Sweeeet! Totally!

- Benjamin

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Original Statement retracted! Didn't want to cause a fight :D

jugger
01-06-2006, 04:53 PM
good idea, because this attitude might not work well for you in the school.
happy animating anyway

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
good idea, because this attitude might not work well for you in the school.
happy animating anyway

And what attitude are you referring to? Honesty from a potential student?

And what attitude do I need for this school? False psychophant positivity?

Rest of comment has been retracted yet again. Still don't want to start a fight.

My Fault
01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, we can't really tell since you edited it Staples. And why do people assume that just because so many people are positive about AM that they must be showing, as you so eloquently put it, "False psychophant positivity"?

Just curious.

Kimotion
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Did anyone get their new mentor yet!?

toonpang
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
And what attitude are you referring to? Honesty from a potential student?

If its an honest concern why did you delete it?

Nobody here will "fight" you for having a negitive view, but we will want it justified, and you should as well. A negitive view with no merit isn't good for the school, the students, or anyone for that matter.

Sounds to me like you just need to do your homework before coming into the lions den and talking poop! :D

-Kevin

molson67
01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
The original AM student site was really good and fully functional. But V2 has improved greatly.
It's hard for me not to get excited about this.

Yipee!

Mark

jugger
01-06-2006, 07:19 PM
i only met dedicated and passionate ppl in the school who love what they are doing. they wouldnt care if the assignment would look like old VHS quality and if they had to talk to Jason Schleifer on phone instead of realtime video conferencing.
what i want to say is, that this school is not about technical achivememnts, its about the artform of animation. in whatever form you might encounter it.
i'm proud to be part of it since the first class.

sergeantT
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Did anyone get their new mentor yet! I am so excited because I'm a psychophant of false positivity or whatever.

Jeff, man you are too funny :-)))
Your blog rocks.
I'm starting Monday and have not been asigned a mentor as of yet.

molson67
01-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey Staplegun,
After you have been attending AM for a while come back to this thread and post your honest opinion about your experience. This may offest all the positivity that you feel is false.

Anyways,
Have fun animating and we'll see you on the inside :)

Mark

SheepFactory
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
"False psychophant positivity"?

Just curious.

that must be like being high on ice cream , you know you are guilty! :)

molson67
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
All this editing of posts is funny.
I get the most recent posts emailed to me unedited, (like other people, I am assuming).
It's just kinda funny. I can only imagine that some people are holding back on how they really feel. And I mean both people that want to say negative things and positive things.
:)
Back to the fun of animating.

Mark

AjaBogdanoff
01-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm thoroughly confused. As usual. :)

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey Staplegun,
After you have been attending AM for a while come back to this thread and post your honest opinion about your experience. This may offest all the positivity that you feel is false.

Anyways,
Have fun animating and we'll see you on the inside :)

Mark

Well this is good to know. Because a lot of people I know do feel its a bit odd. No one has ever heard of anyone being so gung ho about a school, so much as to promote it themselves constantly. You guys are saving your school's PR department lots of money!

Please keep in mind i am viewing Animation Mentor from the outside. There are so many students who got burned by going to other schools (I am currently at academy of art in san francisco). We are watching anyting that comes out of Animation mentor to see if switching to your school will be worth it. You can't blame us for being a little skeptical. When you shop for a product after being burned by a previous version of the product, you want to make damn sure you are not buying a lemon again. Hearing so many positive things make us feel like we are being sold to.

But Im glad these feelings are genuine. In a way, I am hoping this discussion can put to rest all those opinions out there that these positive opinions are fake.

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
All this editing of posts is funny.
I get the most recent posts emailed to me unedited, (like other people, I am assuming).
It's just kinda funny. I can only imagine that some people are holding back on how they really feel. And I mean both people that want to say negative things and positive things.
Back to the fun of animating.

Mark

Hehe, I think its because deep inside no one wants to "fight" or have their comments be taken the wrong way.

AjaBogdanoff
01-06-2006, 07:47 PM
*shrug* Yeah, Stan, we've certainly heard plenty of complaints about how positive AM students are about the school, but what are we gonna do about it? Call people names in return? Send Nicolucci over to people's houses wearing that fuzzy pink number he keeps talking about? :p

Most of us in AM know that we're not just, ah, sycophants... we've just decided on our own that we're happy with and proud of this school, and like to talk about it. :-)

Kimotion
01-06-2006, 07:54 PM
WHO is my new mentor!? :D

jugger
01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
lol aja... its like a lottery...
if you get the unaltered posting as mail notification before it gets altered? or not??

however, i do not know my new mentor and classmates as well. i can see the mentors are spread over 4 classes but i'm sure on monday everything will look quite different! cant wait.. V2 is really giving a new adrenaline boost. most welcome :)

harmonic01
01-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Ha, I also can't wait to find out who's my new mentor. :bounce:

As for our fanatical love for AM. Well, the school IS trully amazing and it's really hard not to be so happy about it when animation is a strong passion.

jugger
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
interesting point staplegun... i never ever imagined someone might doubt that AM is great at what its doing.
funny... but i figure thats the price of the fame :)

oh, and maybe this helps to believe ;)

http://81.169.168.8/phpbb2_13/viewtopic.php?t=345

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
interesting point staplegun... i never ever imagined someone might doubt that AM is great at what its doing.
funny... but i figure thats the price of the fame :)

oh, and maybe this helps to believe ;)

http://81.169.168.8/phpbb2_13/viewtopic.php?t=345

Heh. Seems like you guys get more interactive experience with your teachers than at my school. And your school is ONLINE! I find this very ironic indeed.

Jugger, I never doubted that what AM is doing is great. Otherwise why would I be reading this thread?

My Fault
01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I can certainly see how some people would think we are a bit over the top but it is really hard not to be. Since this school is doing so much right it is hard not to praise it. Also I don't really talk much in here about the negatives because there have been so few and if I have an issue I just go straight to the school so it can be fixed. I am constantly blown away by how much our input is listened to, from those of us that have been there since the beginning to people just starting up. Spend 5 minutes around anyone working at AM and you will see that they actually do care.

Plus, how would Aja survive in a normal school, she would constantly be picked on about having only one eye and that vestigial tail.

AjaBogdanoff
01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
You leave the tail out of this! :arteest:

StapleGun
01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I can certainly see how some people would think we are a bit over the top but it is really hard not to be. Since this school is doing so much right it is hard not to praise it. Also I don't really talk much in here about the negatives because there have been so few and if I have an issue I just go straight to the school so it can be fixed. I am constantly blown away by how much our input is listened to, from those of us that have been there since the beginning to people just starting up. Spend 5 minutes around anyone working at AM and you will see that they actually do care.

Plus, how would Aja survive in a normal school, she would constantly be picked on about having only one eye and that vestigial tail.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here Brian.

What makes you feel what Animtion Mentor is doing that is "so right?" Have you been to other schools like I did? If not, how can you compare? Are you working as an animator currently?

These are questions we want to know but too afraid to ask. Sorry to pick on Brian, but you made me ask :)

sergeantT
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I got my mentor!

It's...
Raquel Coelho

Her Bio:
----------------------------------------------------------------
A gifted artist from Brazil, Raquel Coelho brings to De Anza professional experience at many of America's leading animation studios. Already a traditional and multimedia animator, an award-winning author and illustrator of children's books on the arts, a violist in the Chamber Orchestra of the Philharmonic Association of Sao Paolo, and an inter-disciplinary arts teacher, Raquel embarked for the U.S.

Here she earned a MFA in Animation from the School of Visual Arts, interned in lighting and computer animation at Los Angeles visual effects house Rhythm and Hues, and won multiple awards for her short film. "The Tapir".

After a stint on staff at Blue Sky Studios, working as a character animator on their Oscar-winning short, "Bunny", Raquel moved to the Bay Area. Here she has graced the staff of a trio of outstanding studios, first as a character animator at Pacific Data Images/Dreamworks in Palo Alto, then as computer animation trainer and animator on the short, "Hubert's Brain" at San Francisco traditional animation giant, Wild Brain, and now as computer animator for Berkeley special effects legend, Phil Tippett.

Raquel brings her students the benefit of this extensive experience while teaching Intermediate and Advanced 3D Computer Animation in Maya, then moonlights as a singer in a Bossa Nova band!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Whew! Can't wait! Where are my Coelho Class peeps?!

harmonic01
01-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey Stan. I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question to Brian as well. :)

I just graduated from Art Institute of Philadelphia so I have AM to compare to something and I totally agree with Brian. A.I. of Philly was a huge dissapointment and a big waste of money. They hardly teach you animation principles there in Computer Animation degree. At best they teach you how to press buttons. The director of animation department is not an animator at all. It seems all he knows if Photoshop and Flash. Definately does not know anything about 3D. How the hell can he create a good carricilum then?

AM, on the other hand, is extremely focused on character animation. The 3 founders of the school are kick @$$ ninja animators from Pixar and ILM and so I think the curricilum they came up with (and constantly improving) so far prooved to be awesome. I really feel like I couldn't hope for a better animation instruction. Anyways, I could go in to detail talking about what AM tought me and what the local school I graduated from didn't do right, but that would take several pages. :)

Also I doubt it's a coincidence that pretty much all AM students are extremely happy with the school. We're not all crazy and come from all over the world with different upbringing and views. And yet we all agree that AM is freak'n awesome. :)

Well, that's just my 2 cents. :D

anthea
01-06-2006, 09:25 PM

What makes you feel what Animtion Mentor is doing that is "so right?" Have you been to other schools like I did? If not, how can you compare? Are you working as an animator currently?

These are questions we want to know but too afraid to ask. Sorry to pick on Brian, but you made me ask :)

I'll answer as well.

I have been through "other schools" My undergrad is in fine arts and I have a Masters in 3D from NYU, after completing the degree, which claims to teach you all about 3D animation, I was unemployable as an artist for 2 years, that was a devastating blow, esp considering that NYU cost $60,000!!! I had sent out hundreds of demo reels with absolutely no luck in getting 3D artist jobs of any kind. I wanted to do animation but had no way to learn it. I applied at Sherridan and didn't get in, I was then making plans to attend Vancouver Film School for their animation program but decided against it since I didn't want to leave the country. Since starting AM I have learned more about animation every semester, the program is amazing, the students are wonderful and helpful and the staff is passionate and resourceful. And to answer your last question, yes I am now working as an animator, only thanks to AM.

harmonic01
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Anthea is not just working as animator.... she works as animator at Disney. :D AM must be doing something right. :D

sergeantT
01-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I'll answer as well.

I have been through "other schools" My undergrad is in fine arts and I have a Masters in 3D from NYU, after completing the degree, which claims to teach you all about 3D animation, I was unemployable as an artist for 2 years, that was a devastating blow, esp considering that NYU cost $60,000!!! I had sent out hundreds of demo reels with absolutely no luck in getting 3D artist jobs of any kind. I wanted to do animation but had no way to learn it. I applied at Sherridan and didn't get in, I was then making plans to attend Vancouver Film School for their animation program but decided against it since I didn't want to leave the country. Since starting AM I have learned more about animation every semester, the program is amazing, the students are wonderful and helpful and the staff is passionate and resourceful. And to answer your last question, yes I am now working as an animator, only thanks to AM.

And if Anthea's example isn't proof in the pudding...
I don't know what is.
Moreover, she wasn't even halfway through the AM program and she's working at Disney!

anthea
01-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I am only an "assistant animator" here, but so grateful for this opportunity. I still have a ton to learn and I never want to stop learning and improving.

sergeantT
01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I am only an "assistant animator" here, but so grateful for this opportunity. I still have a ton to learn and I never want to stop learning and improving.

and look how humble!

polyplay
01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
what's up ya'll!! who wants a new mentor? :buttrock: i been checking my email and the forum's compulsively since I woke up today. can't wait. sergent_t, how you find out who your new mentor is?

all I've got to say about this topic of am students never trashing AM is this: there are more appropriate methods to get your critisisms of the school known than griping on forums like this. mostly i'm talking about the regular surveys AM does and through direct contact with the AM staff. One of the great things about AM is that they are completely open to student feedback and actually use the feed back. People don't need to talk shit about AM on forums like this because the can talk shit directly to the school and it actually benefits them.

sergeantT
01-06-2006, 09:44 PM
sergent_t, how you find out who your new mentor is?

People don't need to talk sh*t about AM on forums like this because the can talk sh*t directly to the school and it actually benefits them.

I just logged to AM and there it was. On my orientation page.

polyplay
01-06-2006, 09:50 PM
I just logged to AM and there it was. On my orientation page.

oh man! you're killing me! my page doesn't have anything about my new mentor. :(

My Fault
01-06-2006, 09:50 PM

Haha, was gone for a bit but I see you already received some answers but here are a few from me as well. And no worries, I don't feel picked on and even if I was, I probably deserved it :)

What is AM doing right. They focus on animation and the curriculum is very smart. Foundations are stressed in a big way and then everything is built off of that. No falsely telling everyone that animation is easy and that woo, it is the hot new job, blah, blah, blah. They are upfront that this is hard and you have to work your butt off if you want to improve.

Nope, never did the art school thang, though I don't feel that this makes my knowing that AM is doing so much right incorrect. I started the whole family thing real young (I'm 37, married 17 years with a 16 yr old son) so I had to dive in to the work force early on. Honestly if AM wasn't virtual there is no way I would have been able to do this right now. Only recently have I been able to focus full time on AM, up until a month or so ago it was full time work, normal life and AM.

I have animated before, mostly freelance and a lil bit at small places but that was when I was much younger. Like many people at AM I want to take my work to a higher level and AM has certainly helped out immensely.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask as many more as you want.

Maciek Gliwa
01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Woo hoo!
My first mentor is Cassidy Curtis!
See you all am students on monday. Can't wait, can't sleep, can't think about anything else!
That's crazy!! :)

Kimotion
01-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Stan. I hope you don't mind if I try to answer your question to Brian as well. :)

I just graduated from Art Institute of Philadelphia so I have AM to compare to something and I totally agree with Brian. A.I. of Philly was a huge dissapointment and a big waste of money. They hardly teach you animation principles there in Computer Animation degree. At best they teach you how to press buttons.

I'm going to be very lazy here and just tell you to replace "Art Institute of Philadelphia" with "Academy of Art University San Francisco." And replace "graduated" with "dropped out."

Another big difference between AM and AAU is that AM has a cool, appealing mascot named Spike! He's on the home page: has a lot of character. AAU's mascot in a big credit card.

ThePredator42
01-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Woo hoo!
My first mentor is Cassidy Curtis!

Dito! :bounce:

toonpang
01-07-2006, 12:00 AM
My first mentor is Greg Kyle from ILM.

Where's my fellow Padawan's at!!! :bounce:

-Kevin

Muan
01-07-2006, 12:06 AM
...Cassidy Curtis :applause:

He's got a B.A. in Mathematics by the way.
I'm a Graduate Physicist...so there's still hope for me to become an animator!

CU on monday Micha :thumbsup:

Kimotion
01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
YYyyyyYYYEEEEEHAAAA! I got Jason Schliefer!

rblitz7
01-07-2006, 02:51 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!! I GOT.....ooo my bad im not even an AM student, I guess I just got overwhelmed in the excitement, lol. :sad: *patience Richie, patience*

bdepper
01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
sergeant_t I also have Raquel Coelho for my mentor.

See you next week.
:thumbsup:

xino
01-07-2006, 03:38 AM
You people are making me sad. Shut up already!

-runs off sobbing :cry:

Maciek Gliwa
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I was looking for Maya reseller near Poland and haven't found any :(. Studica is only for students from US and Canada, and it looks like Alias online store doesn't sell Maya 7 edu. Could anyone help me? Big thanks

harmonic01
01-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Maciek. I'm not sure if this will help but try http://www.journeyed.com/home.asp Maybe they will sell in Poland.

Good luck.

Maciek Gliwa
01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks Peter!
They do send products to Poland and they have Maya for students :). That's exactly what I was looking for :).

jwr38
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.journeyedeurope.com/selectCountry.asp

this will give you maya for all of europe

AjaBogdanoff
01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeeehaw! I Like Ike! :thumbsup:

My Fault
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Schleifer for leifer! :D

trence5
01-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Now if only a group of modelers would get together and do the samething:cool: :bowdown: .

harmonic01
01-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Now if only a group of modelers would get together and do the samething:cool: :bowdown: .

Or riggers. :D

btw, did I mention I got King Kong...uh... I mean Kenny Roy. :D

My Fault
01-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Or riggers. :D

btw, did I mention I got King Kong...uh... I mean Kenny Roy. :D

Riggers you say? http://www.animationrigs.com/

swadepgh
01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I like Ike too!

Aja we are in the same class!

Sweet! :)

Kimotion
01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Schleifer for leifer! :D

Oh great ... we're in the same class.

*Throws arms up in the air for a slightly longer hang time, easing out slowly as I drop them in a perfect arc to the sides of my hips.*

ZenMaster
01-08-2006, 12:51 AM
I was assigned to Brett Schulz for the Winter 2006 Term, a Pixar animator, anybody knows him??

He has his here:
http://brett-schulz.blogspot.com/
and some Pixar pics here:
http://www.brett-schulz.com/gallery/album13

Howes in my classa?

melmann
01-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Takin a break this term so I will see everyone in april! Good luck all!! Cant wait to get back to it....sigh

jig
01-08-2006, 05:58 AM
i have a question for animation mentor,,,

how are the lectures done? are they pre recorded videos of the mentors givin the lectures? if so, how often do they update it?

can u watch the lectures over and over again?

for the q and a sessions, are there any problems with time zones?

thanks

harmonic01
01-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Jig. Lectures are pre-recorded and edited and all that stuff. There is a new lecture every week. During a week, you can watch and re-watch the current week's lecture as well as last week's lecture.

As for time zones. Well, for some people it's more comfortable than others. It just depends on where you live. If you have to miss a Q&A, there's always a make up one at the end of the week.

AKS
01-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Jig, they do make an effort to accomdate everyone for the q&a's. They might not be at great times (mine are always at 6-7 am b/c I'm in the UK) but they try really hard. At least it's not 3-4am :)

ThePredator42
01-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Huh??

I just logged into AM (wow I like how that sounds :D ) and suddenly my calender states that class 101 starts on sunday? It used to be Monday! Has there been an unannounced change in schedule?
However, I still canīt access the full site, but rest assured Iīll try every 10 min :)

Micha.

jzubiaga
01-08-2006, 10:48 AM
My first mentor is Greg Kyle from ILM.

Where's my fellow Padawan's at!!! :bounce:

-Kevin

Hey, My first mentor will be Greg too.

See you next week.

-Juan

Maciek Gliwa
01-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I think we still have to wait till tomorrow Micha.

Muan
01-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Worst case tomorrow we have to wait 'til 9 a.m. our time
'cause we're 9 hours ahead PST :eek:
I mean here in Cologne...

:scream:

Am I wrong?

P.S.: In my calendar AM starts on sunday (that's today) as well...maybe they've messed up the time zones a little bit?
I don't know...

Maciek Gliwa
01-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I will have to wait even more because I start my job at 9 a.m. :(.

By the way, do you guys have any bio info about Cassidy on your am website? because I can only see that I was assigned to his group, and that's all, no more info about him or our group.

Muan
01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Cassidy Curtis has a great and interesting website:

http://www.otherthings.com/

So you have to wait 'til after your work?

Be strong Maciek :blush:

Maciek Gliwa
01-08-2006, 01:56 PM
You know, I've been waiting about 8 months for AM, I think I can wait 8 hours more....but that will be hard 8 hours.....

DigitalToon2
01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
It's hard waiting, but good luck to you all and I'll see you on the inside.

SkyZero
01-08-2006, 05:13 PM

By the way, do you guys have any bio info about Cassidy on your am website? because I can only see that I was assigned to his group, and that's all, no more info about him or our group.

I'm on my way out, but I found this little snippet of info for your mentor for yah:

Madagascar (http://imdb.com/title/tt0351283/) (2005) (animator)
Shrek 2 (http://imdb.com/title/tt0298148/) (2004) (character animator)
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (http://imdb.com/title/tt0165982/) (2003) (character animator)
Shrek (http://imdb.com/title/tt0126029/) (2001) (character technical director)
See you on the inside! :buttrock:

polyplay
01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
w00t! I got Victor Navone! He's a Pixar animator: http://www.navone.org/

Can't wait to get started!

ThePredator42
01-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Yes, me too!!! :cry:

Waiting for christmas was a piece of cake compared this this!!

Hmm Anja, you could be right. Itīs probably due to our timezone setting. Crap. I felt so lucky hehehe

ThePredator42
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Wooohaaa!

No wrong! Iīm in! Iīm IN! *mad scientist laugh*

Bentagon
01-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Wooohaaa!

No wrong! Iīm in! Iīm IN! *mad scientist laugh*And you already discovered your greatest distraction! The.... [scary hitchkock music] community chat!

reb3D
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I was assigned to Brett Schulz for the Winter 2006 Term, a Pixar animator, anybody knows him??

He has his here:
http://brett-schulz.blogspot.com/
and some Pixar pics here:
http://www.brett-schulz.com/gallery/album13

Howes in my classa?

He's awesome! I use to work with him back at LucasArts. He's a really cool guy and very passionate about animation! You're gonna have an awesome time in his class!

Mel- sorry to hear about the semester off... same here... I'm already starting to get cold chills!! ;)
~rebecca

anthea
01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
there needs to be a 12 step program to get off of our AM addiction

mmkelly011881
01-15-2006, 04:21 AM
Woohoo... noone posted this yet but the AM public site just got a major overhaul and it looks amazing...

http://www.animationmentor.com

check it check it check it out yo

Bentagon
01-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Oh yeah... the new website rocks! And I love the Spike easter egg!

- Benjamin

ThePredator42
01-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Ow yeah I totally forgot to check that out!

Itīs great that they are posting the hiring of students in their news section. It shows the potential of AM, and is kind of the living proof of what everyone says about the learning experience

Yay AM!

ps.. uhm.. easteregg? Donīt tell, I`m going to find it!

rblitz7
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I noticed in the FAQ they say you need a G5 mac, I would assume that the new intel core duos would be fine, right? And are the new built in isights good for webcams?

AjaBogdanoff
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Actually, the new site is so fast, I think you'd get by okay with any Mac that can run a recent version of Maya. I even cruise around on my G3 iBook, and while I certainly wouldn't recommend it for your primary AM computer, it does the job decently well. The new intel Macs should do fine running the site, but you may want to look into what sort of 3D software support you're going to have on it if you plan to go the 3D route.

And yeah, a lot of us use iSights, and they work great. :)

^Abe^
01-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Ha ha.
I found the Spike easter egg by accident- veerry cool :surprised

pmiles
01-21-2006, 12:14 AM
I noticed in the FAQ they say you need a G5 mac, I would assume that the new intel core duos would be fine, right? And are the new built in isights good for webcams?

I'm using an old 2001 model Dual 800 Quicksilver and it works just fine for AM stuff. Remember, you aren't doing heavy hitting render jobs, just playblasts, so you don't need a state of the art system to do AM.

A word of caution about the new Mac-Tels... until there is a Mac-Tel version of Maya shipping, you will likely be limited to the original Mac architecture or a PC. You DO NOT want to run Maya via an emmulator (such as Rosetta).

I'll let you in on a little secret... Macs are used in a lot of the lecture and training videos... apparently the platform of choice among AMers is the Mac.

reb3D
01-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Here we go....

Mac AMer's vs. PC AMers

We should make some shirts!! ;)
~reb

My Fault
01-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Here we go....

Mac AMer's vs. PC AMers

We should make some shirts!! ;)
~reb

While all the Amiga AMers sit to the side, laughing loudly in there brand new Spike boxers. ;)

mgarward
01-21-2006, 01:40 AM
While all the Amiga AMers sit to the side, laughing loudly in there brand new Spike boxers. ;)
I love my Amiga.

(Deluxe Paint 3 forever!)

fluffybunny
01-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Hey, what about all of us doing AM on our SGI's ? :buttrock:

hehe....j/k

eric

digitalworkshop
01-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I am very keen to join AM. But i have one problem. I can only afford to pay for first three classes. There are six in all. So will i get certificate for those three? Will it be good enough? I know i must do the full thing but i donthave that kind of money right now to invest. Also i am not sure if i will get a loan for doing an online course. The banks are willing to give loans for studying abroad but not for online courses. nd 14,000 USD is equivalent to approx. 7,00,000 INR(INDIAN Rupee). Pls suggest if its ok to do first three classes and build a profile and land yourself a decent job and then later i can pursue from where i left.
Pls advice and guide.

regards,
DIGI

Bentagon
01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Well... AM doesn't garantee you a job. It's a school like others that improves your skills, and depending on how good your skills become, you may get a job. That's how it always works. So it all depends... if you're talented and work very hard, you might be just as good an animator after 3 classes, as others after 6. If not, you probably won't be. The school can't garantee you anything... it's you who has to do the work. But there are people who have landed a job after only a few quarters, so it's definitly possible. And you can always do 3 classes now, get a certificate for that, and do the other 3 classes and graduate later.

- Benjamin

digitalworkshop
01-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Thats a very appropriate and very positive reply. thax benjamin. Well, you have said everything worth gold my friend. But i am sure about my plan now. I will go for three classes first. Work hard. land myself a job and then pursue the rest three classes. I was worried if AM would give its students this kind of choice of being able to do three classes and also give them certificate for those three classes they successfully completed. Now since you have cleared my doubts on that i am all the more eager to enroll myself for the Summer term.
thanx.

regards,
DIGI
:-)

Bentagon
01-22-2006, 09:00 AM
Glad to hear... I'd suggest sending an e-mail about the certificates first, though. We don't get them automatically, but I have heard that they give'm out if you ask for them. But since I personally don't have any experience with that, I think it's best you just send them an e-mail.

- Benjamin

splintah
01-22-2006, 10:17 AM
i applied for the spring term a few days ago

i hope they gonna take me

also nice to know Macs are the system of choice at AM
*waiting for the mactel version of maya*

QUESTION
i will get a camera to record reference material
i already started a thread about that http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=284900
now i am more and more convinced to buy a digicam (photo) with decent video video function. they are way more portable. you can always have them with you
any suggestions ?

AjaBogdanoff
01-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Boy, the last thing I want to do is stir up some sort of silly argument about computer platforms on this fine thread, but just for future reference, I don't believe the folks at AnimationMentor particularly care one way or another what types of computers people use, so long as they're able to view the site and complete their assignments. :)

So yeah, how 'bout them Yankees? ;)

And welcome Kris! The still camera thing sounds like it would work fine, as long as you can capture about a minute of 24fps or higher video, and you're right that portability would be super cool! :)

AKS
01-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I can only afford to pay for first three classes.... Will it be good enough?

DIGI

Digi,

Although it would be best to do the full six terms you are still going to learn a TON in the first three. And like Benjamin says, you will get out of it what you put in. Anthea & Rebecca got hired mid-way through their thrid terms. It's not a promise that the school makes, but it has happened.

And just speaking on a personal note about how I've seen other people in the AM program progress, there are alot of people that started knowing little to nothing about animation & now out-shine those of us who have been doing this for years in one form or another.

There's always more to learn as an animator, but AM is a good place to start.

Hope this helps some,

-- Alison

mixolydian
01-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Your money is so well spent at AM that if you can only go for 3 terms, I would say go for it. You will learn more than you ever dreamed in that time. Just make sure that you go ALL IN. Don't sluff off. Be fierce about it. I sluffed off in one of the terms because of work, and I suffered for it because I know I could have retained a little bit more. The thing about is that the school is so damn good that if you miss out on any information you really fell bad that you didn't give it your all. Now I regret it just a little bit, and it drives me nuts sometimes. It is the best investment you can make in yourself to learn animation. What a wonderful place AM is, everything about it is the best in the world.

ParkerD
01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
thank god I found this thread!

I heard about it from 10secondclub but wasn't sure how great an on-line school can be. But after reading all these great replies, I am 100% sure I want to go!

splintah
01-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Boy, the last thing I want to do is stir up some sort of silly argument about computer platforms on this fine thread, but just for future reference, I don't believe the folks at AnimationMentor particularly care one way or another what types of computers people use, so long as they're able to view the site and complete their assignments. :)

i just wanted to say that i am glad they support macs :)

i use both

Kimotion
01-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Your money is so well spent at AM that if you can only go for 3 terms, I would say go for it. You will learn more than you ever dreamed in that time. Just make sure that you go ALL IN. Don't sluff off. Be fierce about it. I sluffed off in one of the terms because of work, and I suffered for it because I know I could have retained a little bit more. The thing about is that the school is so damn good that if you miss out on any information you really fell bad that you didn't give it your all. Now I regret it just a little bit, and it drives me nuts sometimes. It is the best investment you can make in yourself to learn animation. What a wonderful place AM is, everything about it is the best in the world.

I half assed it in my second term. I can make all the excuses in the world: too tired from work, not enough time, life, bla bla bla. I don't think my work was that bad, but if I spent more time, taking care of my health more so I'd have the energy to stay awake longer, I may have done better. I think back on it and if I just spent even just an extra hour a day I might have something that I might put on my demo reel (after lots of post term 2 tweaking of course!).

And nothing stops you from casually repeating those assignments you did in the past to keep your animation brain/muscles toned. Someone gave me this advice: don't think about demo reel, showing it to everyone, grades, etc. Just do simple tests like arm swings to keep reminding yourself about overlap, arcs, etc.

I was reminded that it's the journey, not the destination. So even if you feel like you half assed it, at least you know now to not do it again!

As for your comment about learning more than you dreamed of in three terms, I agree. What I gain from AM is constant pushing, the feeding off of the energy of peers, and the passionate yet helpful competition among students.

I've read on a lot of school threads on CGTalk and in the end of many posts, defenders of the particular school state: "It's all what you put into it," which is basically a virtual shoulder shrug. What a cliche. But it's true. But for AM, I think it's the only school thread where a student will actually confidently say: "Yeah, it's all about what you put into it, but with AM, the more you put into it, they actually DO give back and give back 10 times more."

anthea
01-24-2006, 02:58 AM

Hey Aaron!!

I know what you mean about regretting not being able to put your all into it, I had a similar experience with my grad school in my pre-AM days. I realized that all the students who were doing well and eventually landed jobs after finishing the Masters degree at my former school were completely unemployed during the course, something I was never able to do. That's why early on at AM I knew I needed to devote my complete dedication to it, to see if I could make it work. There is nothing as bitter as the regret you will have if you don't put your all into it, and look back a year later, and think, "I could have done better, if I'd only..." Believe me, you want to make sure you are putting your all into every assignment because this is YOUR CHANCE, this is your shot, to grow and learn, to meet industry professionals, give it your all because you will never have another chance like AM has given you.

And with that being said, another way to think of each AM course as a 12 week interview, if you are remembered as the mentor's student who "sluffed off" it is a hard thing to shake that kind of rep, especially in an industry where people need to be at the top of their game to make it. You have to think how would you act on a "real" interview with this professional animator, would you sluff it off?? Hell no, you would try anything and everything to get the job, and that's how you have to think of your AM assignemnts and the course in general.

mohinder
01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
if you are remembered as the mentor's student who "sluffed off" it is a hard thing to shake that kind of rep, especially in an industry where people need to be at the top of their game to make it.

Sounds like you can put yourself under alot of undue stress. To become even remotely good at animation takes ALOT of time, especially at the beginning when you are just starting to learn. A few hours here and there a week is really unlikely to accomplish much in the short term. It requires consistent focused attention to see your work progress to a level where it might get you noticed by someone in the industry. If your are working and have a family you will need to make many sacrifices to achieve that, not taking into account the odd spanner that life may throw in the works.

So if you dont get a lucky break by being in the right place at the right time to show what you are capable of, dont beat yourself up about it. Its not worth it. Everyones learning curve is different and some people will inevitably progress much quicker than others. No big deal. If you keep at it chances are you will eventually reap what you sow.

andy_maxman
01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
If your are working and have a family you will need to make alot of sacrifices to achieve that and thats not taking into account the odd spanner that life may throw in the works.

So if you dont get a lucky break by being in the right place at the right time to show what you are capable of, dont beat yourself up about it. Its not worth it. Everyones learning curve is different and some people will inevitably progress much quicker than others. No big deal. If you keep at it chances are you will eventually reap what you sow.

totally man.....sometimes i wonder will it be worth it...all those sacrifices....staying away from family, working late hours... i am sure most of us go through such things...

and the competition is only getting steeper....would be interesting to see where all this leads...and thats my main motivation...

you are right, keep at it and keep it tight people....

achavero
01-26-2006, 02:02 AM
I agree with Anthea thoughts, but at the same time i would advice everybody not to take the class as a interview, because that will focus all your efforts to get a "job" and not to learn and have fun.

In my experience the best people in whatever field they work are the ones that loves their activities, because for them the days finishes in just 2 seconds, every new challenges make them excited, they happy with what they do and know how to tackle the sacrifices and obstacles in their way to the goal. They give a 150% because that's what their soul is thirsty about. The job and money will eventually come to that people because they are like a big magnet.

So if you think animation is your path or want to make a try, AM is "the place" to have fun and learn a lot.

A good student learns a lot from his teacher... an excellent student robs the knowledge of his teacher.... just a thought of my aikido sensei.

bentllama
01-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by anthea
if you are remembered as the mentor's student who "sluffed off" it is a hard thing to shake that kind of rep, especially in an industry where people need to be at the top of their game to make it.

there are some students that are working professionals already at the top of thier game that may have missed an assignment or two, like myself, but are not to be worried about what another student is or is not doing. you have to take this class at your personal pace, otherwise you will feel overwhelmed or underwhelmed and it will bleed through into your animation.

the mentors are working professionals too and have all missed deadlines, or have had personal obtrusions within their career from time to time...relax in the fact that they are human too, and they have been exactly where you are standing at some point in thier life.

remember that at some point you are going to see something in another persons work that totally inspires you and motivates you to enhance your own work...well, that motivation is a two way street. your work is going to resonate with someone so don't be in AM to try to keep up with the Jones...it is not a competition; not directly yet anyway...just do the best you can do and gain skill along the way.

this whole focus of the "interview" is a ridiculous topic and very premature...focus on your assignments and showing your growth curve and the REAL interviews will fall into place...don't put too much worry into them until you have to...

regards,
nathan walpole

mgarward
01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
I realized that all the students who were doing well and eventually landed jobs after finishing the Masters degree at my former school were completely unemployed during the course, something I was never able to do. That's why early on at AM I knew I needed to devote my complete dedication to it, to see if I could make it work. There is nothing as bitter as the regret you will have if you don't put your all into it, and look back a year later, and think, "I could have done better, if I'd only..." Believe me, you want to make sure you are putting your all into every assignment because this is YOUR CHANCE, this is your shot, to grow and learn, to meet industry professionals, give it your all because you will never have another chance like AM has given you.
Anthea is right: this IS a great oppotunity. But I don't think meeting industry professionals is nearly as important as growing and learning, and learning FROM those industry professionals. What you do, how you work, and how you act MAY be remembered or noticed for a potential job, but if you treat the whole experience as a job interview I think you will cause yourself undue stress and suck a lot of fun out of the course. And boy is it fun! (Even when it's driving me crazy!)

'Giving it your all' doesn't mean you have to quit your job and spend 80+ hours a week on animation, animation, and more animation. It means dedicating yourself to learning all you can, not slacking off, staying sane, and enjoying the whole experience. I think 'giving it your all' isn't about the amount of time you spend on AM work, but the how you spend what time you have. Quality not quantity. So if you have work and a family (and let's face it, they are the higher priorities) and can only get 15 hours a week, AM is still definitely possible, but don't waste those 15 hours. :)

My opinion to Digi from way back: do the 3 sessions. You will learn so much in those 3 sessions it will blow your mind. I would definitely email AM to ask about the possibility of getting certificates of completion for those three classes, though.

Kimotion
01-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't think Anthea meant to sound like that AM is one long interview process. I think she meant it very metaphorically, stressing that like in a job interview, this is where you get to know your potential "bosses" and co-workers.

I think there is a very different perspective of those who are animating for the first time, those who are already working in the industry, and those who have gone through a shit program before and now find AM to be a second chance. Being stuck in the mid-20's career transition phase for 3 year is inexcuseable for me. So I can definately emphathise with Anthea when she implied that you gotta be career focussed, especially if you are investing more time and money on more education. Of course, without the skills you won't have a career to begin with, so Bentlama and MGarward are also right.

I went into the program with 60% on skills and 40% on networking. I felt I needed to make up for lots of lost time wasted on a prior "education" and had to make the best of the tuition spent. I was rushing to "catch up" with my age. But once AM started, right away I noticed how much I actually didn't know, and I now know that there were things that I thought I knew but didn't really know. Make sense? So after halfway through the course, it's more like 85% focussed on improving the animation and 15% on networking: I find that this is less stressful, fun, and eerily calming. I'm no longer rushing to try to land any animation job: The better I get with my skill, I will be able to have faith in myself so I can confidently start the job search.

bentllama
01-26-2006, 07:23 PM
The better I get with my skill, I will be able to have faith in myself so I can confidently start the job search.

indeed. justified confidence in your skillset is worth its weight in gold.

Julez4001
01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
I know I need to join...
Right now, money is tight.

reb3D
01-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow really amazing conversation going on here!

Just my 2 cents...

I think Kimotion, MattG, bentlama, and Anthea, are ALL right. AM is all these things... it's a school where you will learn, grow and have fun AND a place to network and meet friends.

The key is finding the balance between it all. It's hard don't get me wrong, but I think one of the more unique and great things this school has is the access and personal attention from a professional animator IN the industry. So like Anthea mentioned you really shouldn't loose site of that, in both a positive and negative way.

Which brings up Kimotions point... even though these mentor might be your boss one day, you have to stay focused on what is really important. (to me) That is ANIMATION. That's the reason we're in this school... so bottom line, just keep all these ideas in mind when you're taking classes and create the best work that you can with the time that you have... just like Mattg mentioned!

~reb

mlmiller1983
01-27-2006, 05:31 AM
I'm planning on applying for this upcoming fall 2006. I just need to save up some cash from now until september. I've been meaning to enroll for months but now I've decided now the time to go for it.

anthea
01-27-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm sorry if my post came off sounding harsh to some, in not way did I mean that everyone must quit their jobs to succeed at AM, only that this is what worked for me. Matt G, you are handling all your responsibilities with grace and I would never put you in the catagory of students who are "slacking off". You clearly are at the top of your game! And yes quality is much more important than quality.

Of course there is way more to AM than simply landing a feature animation job. Meeting all the mentors and fellow students, getting to be inspired every week by the amazing assignments, there are so many wonderful parts of AM to keep of love of animation flowing through our entire education. All I was saying is not to overlook the contacts you could be making with your mentors. And not to shrug off the negative effects either. Your mentor may one day be looking to hire for their company, don't you want to be one of the students they think of to recomend? Since I had been trying to treat AM as a professional setting, which means I am trying to put my best foot forward, be the best animation student I can be. For me that also means never handing in assignments late, that's just my own personal standard, which may or may not be right for everyone. This is something I needed to do for myself.

Either way, it is clear that everyone has their own way of dealing with life and AM, and I think that's great. Congrats to everyone doing an amazing job at keeping the fun and professional attitude that makes our school great.

pmiles
01-27-2006, 10:02 PM
DO sign on for this program if your goal is to learn more about character animation and to get better at it.

DO NOT sign on for this program if your only goal is to beef up your portfolio/reel. The assignments *could* be used in your portfolio/reel, but they are ideally designed to teach you certain principles and to allow you to practice them. The idea is to explore the potential of what your character can do, not merely settle in on one idea just because you think it will look *cool* on your reel.

Expect nothing and you will reap great rewards. Expect everything and you will reap nothing. Trust me, you will get more out of your education if you view as such than if you see it as a trade school. There are no cookie cutter answers to animation... each one of us views it differently and brings something different to the table. If learning animation were as simple as math, we'd all buy animation calculators and be done with it.

Remember... animation IS acting. Look at it that way. Picture yourself on broadway acting out a part. Will merely learning your lines provide a convincing performance? Will a good costume design make up for a stiff performance? Can story alone carry you through the scene? Animation is all about what YOU bring to it. Anyone can mimic life, but few can breathe life into a character. That's what character animation is all about. And that's what everyone at AM is striving for.

bentllama
01-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Congrats to everyone doing an amazing job at keeping the fun and professional attitude that makes our school great.

One of the biggest factors separating AM from other schools is the professionalism both the mentors and students employ. It is refreshing to be in an atmosphere that takes animstion seriously, but has a great time doing so...

AM has a great professional atmosphere that I truly enjoy.

AjaBogdanoff
01-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Expect nothing and you will reap great rewards. Expect everything and you will reap nothing. Trust me, you will get more out of your education if you view as such than if you see it as a trade school.

Huh, I see it as a trade school, and I feel like I'm getting a lot out of it. Nothing wrong with trade schools. :shrug:

I also don't really see anything wrong with expecting a lot out of AM. It costs a decent chunk of change, and takes up a large portion of my time. In return I expect a great education, and so far, my expectations have been totally blown away. :)

And I really hope that my assignments will look "cool" on my reel, because by golly, I'm in this to learn how to entertain people! If I didn't care about creating entertaining shots, I'd try to make a living shooting video ref or something. ;)

But yeah, it's going to be a different experience for everyone. The diversity in backgrounds and opinions is part of what makes it such a great place to study! :)

Kimotion
01-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Remember... animation IS acting. Look at it that way. Picture yourself on broadway acting out a part. Will merely learning your lines provide a convincing performance? Will a good costume design make up for a stiff performance? Can story alone carry you through the scene? Animation is all about what YOU bring to it. Anyone can mimic life, but few can breathe life into a character. That's what character animation is all about. And that's what everyone at AM is striving for.

Awesome! You said it with so much insight. Great analogy!

magan3D
01-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Well, I was thinkin' of signing up for AM.
I went to Full Sail a couple of years ago; now my question is; is there an AM students that have also went to Full Sail? By most rational answers that I've seen on this thread is that AM is much better because it has a focus. Where Full Sail is generalized. Now I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. I am just looking for opinions of people that have both experiences. What are the pluses and minuses.

(Now I apoligize in advance if this has been discusses before, but comeon its a 445 page thread.) :eek:

My Fault
01-28-2006, 12:07 AM
One of the biggest factors separating AM from other schools is the professionalism both the mentors and students employ. It is refreshing to be in an atmosphere that takes animstion seriously, but has a great time doing so...

AM has a great professional atmosphere that I truly enjoy.

Don't let Nate fool ya, he also loves "Free Beer Fridays!" :)

Seriously though, Nate is so right, it really is an outstanding atmosphere. Everyone is very focused on getting better and people don't take "themselves" too seriously, but do take the actual craft of animation seriously.

AjaBogdanoff
01-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey Bryan, I'm not sure if we have any Full Sail grads, but I'll ask on our forums for you.

And yeah, this thread is best read in little chunks, the full thing would probably send you into a coma or something. :)

pmiles
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Huh, I see it as a trade school, and I feel like I'm getting a lot out of it. Nothing wrong with trade schools

A trade school is a place where you go to learn something that can be taught by the numbers and the outcome is predictable. For example... automotive mechanic, dental technician, etc. Trade school. There's nothing wrong with trade schools, they have an important role to fill, however, AM is not a trade school. Yes, it is technically teaching us about something, but you cannot predict the outcome because there is no by the book means of instruction.

A university is not a trade school, although many would like it to be. It is a place of higher learning... a place where you explore ideas and develop your own critical thinking. You apply what you have learned and develop your own ways of doing things based upon the foundation that you received while in college. Applied knowledge. AM is more like applied knowledge, which makes it more like a place of higher learning than a trade school. What you learn is applied to a variety of situations. No two solutions are the same nor are the approaches that we may take.

My point is, not to come into AM expecting some textbook answer to animation... it is as much a journey that you take on your own as anything else. The mentors are our guides, they do not tell us how to do things, they only offer suggestions... it is up to us to find our own way... just as they have done themselves. They teach us what they know and what they have learned and observed... just as we do when we ask them questions and present our work. Don't come into this with the idea that AM will better prepare me for a job, but rather think of it as a spiritual journey... one whose sole intention is to learn for the sake of learning.

As for cost, you could easily spend triple the amount that AM charges at most other schools and come away with far less from the experience. It is only expensive if you expect something in return for your investment and you don't get it. So far no one has been short-changed on learning as far as I can see. Anything beyond learning is gravy.

magan3D
01-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Bryan, I'm not sure if we have any Full Sail grads, but I'll ask on our forums for you.

And yeah, this thread is best read in little chunks, the full thing would probably send you into a coma or something. :)

Thanks that would be great. I just had great hopes going in to that, and I feel like I should of gotten more out of it. I mean there was only one or two animation classes, which is weird since you get "Computer Animation" degree. They seem to focus more on modeling. More towards game jobs I guess. Since; from what I've heard alot of those guys (and girls) do the modeling and rigging and then animation for each character. Now I know that this is Animation Mentor, founded by Bobby Boom Beck and Shawn Kelly and Carlos Baena. And I can see from all of your blogs that all you do is animate.

I would just like to get a viewpoint from someone that has gone thru a similar experience that I have gone thru.

splintah
01-28-2006, 02:56 AM
If learning animation were as simple as math, we'd all buy animation calculators and be done with it.

no its not simple and at a certain level math also becomes very creative - its all about tricks and expierence on how to use them - so i would say a lot like animation

and no, i am not at this level
neiter in maths, nor in animation
yet :D

in AM there is no about modelling or doing any the other stages besides animation
its only animation
they provide you with all the models - you dont build them

although i am not in AM - yet - hopefully,
i expect it to be not only a 3d animation school but also some kind of acting school - you only act with your 3d models

sort of :hmm:

clockwerkz
01-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Hah.. I love this thread. Not only because it's where I first learned about AM.. but also because it just keeps going, spreading the word about how awesome this school is.

A lot of my fellow students have already made great points about the time commitment and putting full effort into it. Me? I wish I had the time to post more on here, but AM, fulltime job and family really cramp on my time! :D

I will say this though.. I think AM is such an incredible learning experience that I would be willing to do the course all over. No joke. I think when you compare the price of the school with how much I would have paid for an animation program in a traditional school, it's a steal. If not the whole school, I'd probably at least do classes 2 and 3 all over again. Just because I am really happy at the level I've reached after 9 months of the program. But at the same time, I feel like I have soo much more to go, and I'm always amazed and floored by the work of a lot of my fellow students. So unless I find myself in a feature film studio where I would get on the job training, I probably will look into the option of doing those two classes all over again.

cW

pmiles
01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I would just like to get a viewpoint from someone that has gone thru a similar experience that I have gone thru.

We have students who have either left, graduated from, or are currently attending: the Art Institues, Academy of Art, Ringling, and lots of Universities... I'm sure the list is even longer. We also have MANY practicing professionals attending the school... those from the VFX industry, gaming industry, you name it. All of them came here for the same reason... to really learn animation.

I think the concern that you need to address is whether or not you want to be a character animator. The school only addresses that one focus. We've got modelers and riggers and whatnot in this school... but they all want to try their hand at character animation, not try to add another trade to their jack of all trades repetroire. As they say in the lectures at AM, to be really good at something, you have to focus on that one thing... if you want to be a modeler, do nothing but modeling, if you want to be a rigger, spend all day rigging... but if you want to be a character animator, you focus solely on that and nothing else. Modeling, lighting, rigging... these are all things that can be learned later, but for now, you want to be entirely emersed in character animation and nothing else.

MadMax
01-30-2006, 05:42 AM
you guys at AM should respond a bit quicker to emails...........

Fede
01-30-2006, 07:11 AM
you guys at AM should respond a bit quicker to emails...........

I'm sure there is only your e-mail in their in box.........
try like a few hundred and have some patience, you'll come tops learning that little skill in animation.

Bentagon
01-30-2006, 07:54 AM
And complaining here won't help, since I doubt they read this anymore. And you know it can take a while (with any company or school) to get a reply through e-mail... that's the nature of the thing. If you want your information or help fast, just give'm a call. They're superfriendly and will help you out immediatly.

- Benjamin

stewartjones
01-30-2006, 10:00 AM
And complaining here won't help, since I doubt they read this anymore. And you know it can take a while (with any company or school) to get a reply through e-mail... that's the nature of the thing. If you want your information or help fast, just give'm a call. They're superfriendly and will help you out immediatly.

- Benjamin

Quoted for agreement! :)

Hell, I totally forgot about this thread myself!

AjaBogdanoff
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM
If you want your information or help fast, just give'm a call. They're superfriendly and will help you out immediatly.

Thirded! ;)

dalmanna
01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
you do realize that there is a difference between internet school and real school I hope. Not much though!! the only school better would still be them teaching only you'd be there, thats kinda like school anyway you only turn up when you've done something, a bit like animation daily's (unless your working of course then you turn up every day honest ;)

what more could you want honestly best animators in the world showing you how to animate if i wasn't so damn broke i'd be signing up.

Kimotion
01-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Not much though!! the only school better would still be them teaching only you'd be there, thats kinda like school anyway you only turn up when you've done something, a bit like animation daily's (unless your working of course then you turn up every day honest ;)

what more could you want honestly best animators in the world showing you how to animate if i wasn't so damn broke i'd be signing up.

This "internet" school vs. "real" school has been beaten to death and there's no point in trying to explain how it really is to those who just believe what they want to believe.

A real school is where you actually learn something.

agreenster
01-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey dalmanna-

Will animate for food, eh? Only desperate fools and lesser punks use that schtick. Good luck with that.

....er....wait a second....

magan3D
01-31-2006, 11:58 PM
So whats this essay all about?
In regards to applying.

AjaBogdanoff
02-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey Bryan, have you heard from Chris? For the essay, it's been so long I don't remember the details, but basically they want to see that you're motivated and enthusiastic about animation. Chances are you'll be fine, animators in general are not super-trained in essay writing (thank goodness!), but do put some thought into it. Word is that a few people have been denied based on their essays.

I think I remember writing about a page about how my first animation ever had a total technical disaster about halfway through shooting, but I stuck with it anyhow, and learned then that animation was what I wanted to do for a living. It was cheesy, but honest. Just like me! :p You could write about whatever got you inspired to learn animation, whether it was a film or cartoon show or kicking Dopey in the shins for the first time at Disneyland or whatever (maybe not that last one), and what you think you'll learn from AM that will help you get better at it... bottom line, just show them that you're going to take your classes seriously and have a great time learning animation, and it'll be fine. Check your spelling, but definitely don't sweat the technical details of essay-writing. :)

Good luck!

splintah
02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
man, i just took that iq test

quite a lot of vocabulary (verbal intelligence) questions for an international school

i do not consider myself bad in english
but i am not a native speaker

at least the only thing i have to do now is . . . . . . . . wait :shrug:

Bentagon
02-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Don't worry about that test... If I see your posts now, I'm sure you'll be fine on the english thing. But I don't think it matters that it's an international school concerning language questions... The point is we need to be able to understand and make ourselves clear in English.

- Benjamin