PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Kid-Mesh
09-09-2005, 05:12 PM
For the people that are using 3D as a medium...do you feel that you are or could be alot stronger at 2D animation as well?

rab
09-09-2005, 05:28 PM
heres a few more interviews

http://www.sabudesign.com/mostlycloudy/mc/blog/2005/04/animation-interviews.html

Good stuff, thanks matt.

AjaBogdanoff
09-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm doing my work in 3D, but yes, I have noticed that I'm equally as able to apply the principles of animation to my 2D stick figure passes as I am to the 3D puppet, even though they're still not pretty drawings. The principles are identical, and if I picked up some drafting skills I don't think I'd have all that much trouble animating at about the same level with a pencil and paper.

6 months ago I never would have believed that I'd be writing something like that. ;)

anthea
09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
gosh talking about panic. I stil haven't got a webspace to stream my .avis for the course...arhhhh.

you dont NEED webspace, many student get by without that, most use it for their websites outside of AM. Your asignments will always be online at the school site, in your workspace area, you don't host these movies yoruself, AM does. So don't worry about webspace for now, I only started using that into the 2nd semester.

pmiles:
about your question about registration, there is no "registering for classes" in the usual university way. there's only 1 class for each level, regardless of what medium you choose to do your assignments in. all the students in level A will be seeing the same lectures and doing the same projects, you can decide what medium to do your animations in, in fact you can switch it up and hand in a different medium every time if you like. AM is teaching you the principles, not the software. but there is help on how to run maya or do stop mo or traditional animation in the player page, kind of an extra refresher course for your selected medium.

lol, you guys are counting the days till it starts, we in class 2 are just happy to finally get a break. we didnt have a break going into class 2 so we are exhausted. but still so super excited to see what comes in acting 1! i will be sleeping solid til then. :)

AjaBogdanoff
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah, well, enjoy your sleep Anthea, but keep those wacky dreams in check! :eek: :p

pmiles
09-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I grew up watching Looney Tune cartoons... and while I really enjoyed watching them, I never really had a desire to do draw them myself. I don't know what it is about 3D, but it really fascinates me... I personally call it my curse... you don't know how much I have sacrificed just to be able to do it... and I am not talking about AM here, but what has spanned a good 10 years for me already. You could say that I am addicted to it. 2D never had that affect on me, but 3D always did. For some 2D types, the opposite is true... they really have no interest in 3D, but you put them before a piece of paper and magic happens.

I think you will always gravitate towards what you love... I think if you love doing 2D and 3D, that is great, but I think most people have their favorite mediums and will always return to them in the end. I've run across animators who will work out their entire animation in 2D first, then translate it to 3D. In the end, they prefer doing the 2D stuff, but are forced to work in a 3D medium. It is sort of sad really, because I think the world can have both 2D and 3D at the same time, but right now, the market for 2D has waned a bit, but I think if places like Aardman can continue to thrive, so will 2D... inspite of it all.

anthea
09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
aardman, i think that stop mo.

what you are right about that it doesn't matter which form you choose to do your animations in, if you are only focusing on the medium, say learning 3d for example you will miss the point that animation is an artform with no ties to either 2d, stop mo or 3d, you can have good and bad animation in all of these mediums. the animation principles is what AM teaches so just focus on learning that. you are in AM to learn animation, not 3d or otherwise. 3d is useless unless you know animation as an art. so in that sense it doesn't matter which one you use, if you love animation all of these mediums may have interests to you somewhat. many of the 3d students thumbnail, PAP or GPT out their animations in 2D (sketch form) first before heading to the computer, it is just a smart way of planning. you don't want to sit down in front of the computer with no plan in mind, that is a waste of time and a recipe for disaster. trial and error will prove this to be true. planning in 2d or sketch form is essential for ALL animators.

i myself want to work in 3D, but can appreciate all animation that are well made wether it be traditional or stop motion. it can be very inspiring stuff. you can still learn from the other mediums even if you choose not to practice them.

happy animating...
:)

stewartjones
09-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey, nice goin Anthea, I think u hit the nail on the head with that one.

AM is ALL about animation, not 3D, not 2D, not stop-motion, it's the totally cool art form of moving pictures/frames wotever u wanna call them, its all animation! :thumbsup:

pmiles
09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, I know Aardman is a stop-motion facility, it was just my meager attempt to show a company that, despite all odds, continues to thrive in a medium that is even less prolific than 2D. I've been a huge Nick Parks fan for years.

I know its all animation... but you have to admit that, the stop-motion types, the 2D types, and the 3D types all chose their particular medium for a reason. It's sort of like painting... watercolor can be a very unforgiving medium whereas oil can allow one to rethink the painting as they go along. The person who works in ink as opposed to pencil. The person who works in clay as opposed to welding... each medium brings with it something special to the artist... that's why they choose it.

So yes, it is all animation, but to the 2D artist, there is nothing greater than to work in 2D, and to the 3D artist, it's 3D, and for the stop-motion artist, it's stop-motion. This is not to say that we work only in one medium, but rather, it is to say, that it is our chosen medium. All painters sketch, it's not like any one medium is completely devoid of another.

This is just my view on 3D... everyone has their own views... and views change... AM may entirely change my views on 3D and animation. I really do hope to see some of the other mediums represented at AM... because that really mixes things up... you take a class in 2D animation and it's all 2D... no 3D or stop-motion in there. Sometimes seeing how animation is done in other mediums is just as much a teaching tool as learning solely in one medium. We're learning animation, not mediums... however there are always unique obstacles to every medium that you need to overcome or work within.

3FnD
09-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Was I wrong about everyone else? Aren't any you guys sooper excited too about class 3?

Anyway, regarding the method of animating 2, 3d, or stop mo, I also would like to experiment with 2D as I continue practicing my drafting skills. If I get where I can actually stay "on model" for more than 1 frame in a row I think all that I am learning and applying to 3D will be exactly the same.

I've been messing around in PAP doing 2D jumps similar to our earlier assignments and it's kinda fun. Just trying to get a feel for the 2D realm. I also bought a pegbar (round 3-hole puch cheapo kind) and hope to get some time to try drawing on real paper too. If I'm animating something that's easy to draw it's MUCH faster to draw it than to pose a 3D character.

Bentagon
09-10-2005, 08:57 AM
One of the reasons why I'm going to do the first classes in 2D too, is just for that. So I will become comfortable with drawing on model. That's not too hard with designs like stewie, or even bishop, but by working with them you'll get used to drawing, flipping,... and will eventually lead you to be able to work with more complex designs.

- Benjamin

SheepFactory
09-10-2005, 09:10 AM
With the first class you have the time to do it with both 2d and 3d since the assignments are not that complex. I did that and it helped me tramendously.

rsluman
09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
With the first class you have the time to do it with both 2d and 3d since the assignments are not that complex. I did that and it helped me tramendously.

That's what I was planning on doing. Complete it first in 3D because that is my focus, and then if I have time, redo it in 2D and expand on the assignment with what I learned the first time.

... :bounce: 9 DAYS!!! :bounce:

Rye
09-11-2005, 03:54 AM
Dude I can't wait to join you guys. Its like 6 months away 'till I'll be able to start since I'll be away from home and a computer, but it'll come in NO TIME. Reading this thread gets me excited every single time. Thanks for always being so pumped up everyone, its contagious!!! :buttrock:

king21
09-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Heeeaaa!

I hardly wait too .

I cannot sleep well for past 14 days .

See ya there

DigitalToon2
09-11-2005, 12:14 PM
And once class starts you won't sleep at all, lol. See ya in 7 more days!

My Fault
09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Well the 1st AM BBQ went off without a hitch and fun was had by all. It was great getting to meet all the new folk. Was most surprised meeting THE Matt Kelly. Who knew he was 11 feet tall and shot lightning bolts out of his armpits. Amazing! :)

sternio
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Well the 1st AM BBQ went off without a hitch and fun was had by all. It was great getting to meet all the new folk. Was most surprised meeting THE Matt Kelly. Who knew he was 11 feet tall and shot lightning bolts out of his armpits. Amazing! :)

Not to mention, he is a karaoke superstar and can drop some varsity "A" game.

SheepFactory
09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Yea the karaoke was awesome.

Great meeting you folks as always. The only downside was the lack of icecream but you cant have everything :)

fluffybunny
09-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I was only able to 'pop' into the Q&A about 1/4 to 3pm since I had been working.
Caught Adam jamming on guitar from remote...."turn it up, man! play some skynnyrd!!".
And I overheard a few comments like, "Brad's STILL eating.....how does he stay so thin?"

My personal opinion is that it's related to copious production of iambic pentameter, although he certainly doesn't limit himself to that by any stretch of the imagination.

eric

^Abe^
09-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi people.
I've been looking at video footage recently and I was wondering if you knew of any good programs for slowing videos down. Also I thought I'd shoot for the moon here and ask if anyone knows of a program that can overlay a grid onto videos.

Thanks
^A^

mmkelly011881
09-11-2005, 10:50 PM
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

CEEEEELIA... you're breakin my heart!! your takin my.... *passes out*

SheepFactory
09-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi people.
I've been looking at video footage recently and I was wondering if you knew of any good programs for slowing videos down. Also I thought I'd shoot for the moon here and ask if anyone knows of a program that can overlay a grid onto videos.

Thanks
^A^

after fx for the grid overlay or any compositor really.

you can use a time warp in the compositor to slow it down but its too much work , its easier to just frame through or scrub in quicktime for that.

hope this helps.

Bentagon
09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
You can slow down or go frame by frame in BS Player. Only downside to that program is that it doesn't read .mov's.

- Benjamin

anthea
09-12-2005, 05:29 AM
so bummed i missed all the grillin fun!!

Kimotion
09-12-2005, 05:42 AM
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

CEEEEELIA... you're breakin my heart!! your takin my.... *passes out*

We all live in our yellow submarine,
Yellow submarine, yellow submarine

SkyZero
09-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Just got back from my honeymoon and the first thing I did was register for classes as soon as I got back. :thumbsup:

Are you supposed to receive a confirmation e-mail after registering for classes?

Did anybody receive information regarding purchasing the student version of Maya? :shrug:

I have yet to receive any info regarding it. I'd like to put my order in soon so I can have it installed and good to go when class starts.

Just a few more days till we start! Everytime I think about it I get all excited about it! :bounce:

:D

andy_maxman
09-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi people.

Thanks
^A^

irfan view should help. it reads most of the commonly used formats. allows you to speed up or down....and you can toggle frame-to-frame....and it loads much faster too...

some one mentioned zoomplayer.....yet to check that one out.....and i guess there is always framecycler...tad expensive...but i guess it would be an ideal pipeline tool....

i am biting my nails as i am running late on the payment part:sad:.....hope everything turns out fine and in time. its been such a long wait and now its just round the weekend....

hope to see you all in there pretty soon....
wow! i can already hear it.......the AM crew captain screaming 'allonboard':scream:

robodesign
09-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Soooo many posts ;)

Wonder when will it be closed?

P.S. I didn't even load www.animationmentor.com :P

pmiles
09-12-2005, 11:09 PM
P.S. I didn't even load www.animationmentor.com :P

Strange comment... you can't load the AM website or chose not to?

sternio
09-13-2005, 07:09 AM

Like a Virgin....oh

Shreds
09-13-2005, 09:09 AM
I was only able to 'pop' into the Q&A about 1/4 to 3pm since I had been working.
Caught Adam jamming on guitar from remote...."turn it up, man! play some skynnyrd!!".
eric

hahaha! I would have played some but you saw me run over to my amp to just turn it up, I would have had to do that again to switch to the clean channel.

I wish I could have been at the BBQ and seen Matt Kelly at the karaoke! It sounds like it was great!

robodesign
09-13-2005, 09:29 AM
"Strange comment... you can't load the AM website or chose not to?"
I chose not to, because of this 'small' thread :thumbsup:

sergeantT
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi all, I've applied to animationmentor's Winter 06 term. I'm really loking forward to the whole experience. Especially after reading the blogs and posts about the school.
um...
If I'm accepted, that is. You see, I applied at the end of August and haven't heard anything since my aptitude test. So It's been a bit over 2 weeks now. Getting quite anxious here.
Anyone heard? Still waiting?

pmiles
09-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Anyone get info on getting the student edition of Maya from AM yet? Only 5 days left.

ArneK
09-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Just got it 1 hour ago :thumbsup:

DigitalToon2
09-13-2005, 07:54 PM
I just got an email from AM about orientation, and my proof or enrollment just came.

Kid-Mesh
09-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm excited for you guys :) I feel like I'm starting too....except I still have four months to go yet.

But dont forget about us folk that cant start till the winter term, I know you all will be busy but first impression post/comments once you start would be cool :thumbsup:

Kimotion
09-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Like a Virgin....oh

Dat's rigth, it was I who made her wear that bridal veil and sing that song. Then I went all kimotion on her: which means going after a woman I can never have.

pmiles
09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I just got an email from AM about orientation, and my proof or enrollment just came.

Is that after you created your account at AM? I got the student ID email last week, but still haven't heard anything about getting Maya yet. Did they tell you who your mentor was going to be?

SkyZero
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Is that after you created your account at AM? I got the student ID email last week, but still haven't heard anything about getting Maya yet. Did they tell you who your mentor was going to be?

I just got my orientation e-mail also just a few minutes ago. I think in the e-mail it states they will send mentor and q/a information later this week.

Just placed my order for Maya. Can't wait to get rockin'! :buttrock:

pmiles
09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
I just got my orientation e-mail also just a few minutes ago. I think in the e-mail it states they will send mentor and q/a information later this week.

Just placed my order for Maya. Can't wait to get rockin'! :buttrock:

Who are they using as a vendor for AM? JourneyED or some other place?

DigitalToon2
09-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Yeah you might want to create an account because you need it to log in to watch the orientation movie. With the proof of enrollment sent in the email you can order maya.

DigitalToon2
09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone else having trouble watching the orientation video? Every time i hit play it says connecting and than says connection closed.

Ever mind, I just got it to play! :thumbsup:

pmiles
09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah you might want to create an account because you need it to log in to watch the orientation movie. With the proof of enrollment sent in the email you can order maya.

I created my account already... at least my student login stuff... couldn't actually get into anything else. Francis at AM said my account was successfully created and that I am good to go.

Now I'm just waiting for another email :sad:

ArneK
09-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Feel like a kid again... lol... Haven't been to school since I graduated from art school in 1990, and the orientation video got me all fired up. I'm ready! :applause:

Jiminy
09-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Man I just finished reading all 400+ pages (mostly):) and this thread is awesome. I am a new fall student at AM and am psyched to be joining the likes of all you posting here. Thanks everybody for all the great information. It has been super helpful for keeping motivated and seeing that everyone out there is as excited as I am. I think it is great that the Spring students are still as positive as they were when this thing started up. This is sooooooo what I have been looking for. wooohooooo.

I keep waking up at about 4am every morning with a huge smile on my face and thinking YES! I am going to animation mentor and I just can't sleep until I see this super awesome website I keep hearing all about. It's good to know others are just as excited.

Well I just got my orientation PDF and MAYA info a few minutes ago, so it's off to buy some stuff. I can't wait to see you all online on Monday, and to meet all you Bay Area folks some time soon. Until then I'll be checking my e-mail every 5 minutes to find out who my mentor is going to be. Can't Wait!

DigitalToon2
09-13-2005, 09:10 PM
It's like christmas!

My Fault
09-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Man I just finished reading all 400+ pages (mostly):) and this thread is awesome.!

Man, your eyes must be bleeding! :D

Still can't get over how fantastic AM has turned out to be and how great everyone is. Definitely check out the Northern California student gathering once you can log in to the AM forum. Would love to meet you at the next gathering in October!

pmiles
09-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Awesome... just ordered my Maya, watched the orientation video, tested out my webcam... man is this great!

The closer we get to the "go" date... the more exciting this gets... bring on them bouncing balls!

Jiminy
09-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Man, your eyes must be bleeding! :D!

Yeah I hope the scabs heal so I can see next week! It would suck to miss the first week and have to say CGTalk maimed me!

Definitely check out the Northern California student gathering once you can log in to the AM forum. Would love to meet you at the next gathering in October!

Same. Can't wait to put all the faces to avatars, though I guess yours is easy. Checked out your blog and saw some nice animations for first term inspiration. Nice stuff! I Hope you all have fun as acting starts up and please stop by to give wise words on us new guys bouncing balls.

Jim

JSW32
09-14-2005, 03:15 PM
To all those New Yorkers and everybody who showed up to the AM gathering last night at Mcgee's Pub, it was great to meet all of you. You all seemed like a cool bunch of people who are very excited and passionate about animation and life. It was pretty damn cool to meet those Bluesky animators too! By the way, I got my cast off today! Finally! Although my arm is stiff I can't wait to use it on Monday into the next year and a half. I'm really excited for AM and I'm glad there is such a great community like you people out there. Thanks again.
-Justin

d_jnaneswar
09-15-2005, 10:22 AM
wooohooo...

im in!! ive just seen the o.video.. downloaded the pdf. super excited now.. seeya all real real soon inside AM!! and by the way.. any precautions to take to protect oneself from fainting cuz of too much excitement?!?

e.d.

SkyZero
09-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Has anybody received information on what mentor they were assigned to?

I think the e-mail that was sent out said that mentor and q/a information would be given out later this week and its almost the end of the week so curious if anybody got it yet.

Just watched the orientation video and read through the guide. Very cool!!! Days people! Mere days stand in our way! :scream:

DigitalToon2
09-15-2005, 02:44 PM

I think the e-mail that was sent out said that mentor and q/a information would be given out later this week and its almost the end of the week so curious if anybody got it yet.

Just watched the orientation video and read through the guide. Very cool!!! Days people! Mere days stand in our way! :scream:

No, I haven't received anything yet, but I'm just as curious as you. I really hope something comes today!

pmiles
09-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Yep, this is going to be so cool. I'm even anxious to see what class 3 will be using for their acting class... stewie or a new and improved stewie... facial controllers? I'd assume lip-sync should be covered in the acting class. But then again, some of the best acting ever done has been done by characters that don't speak...

stewartjones
09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Yep, this is going to be so cool. I'm even anxious to see what class 3 will be using for their acting class... stewie or a new and improved stewie... facial controllers? I'd assume lip-sync should be covered in the acting class. But then again, some of the best acting ever done has been done by characters that don't speak...

We have a little guy called Bishop! :thumbsup: Looks like an alien/morph guy! Oh, and yup, he has facial controls etc!... Holy crap, is nearly the start of class again! :D

My Fault
09-15-2005, 03:40 PM

You'll find out Friday afternoon

Jiminy
09-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Can you 2nd and 3rd semester folks already log in or do you have to wait around excitedly just like the rest of us first timers? And could anyone see about making Monday come after Thursday this week! Thanks:)

My Fault
09-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Yup, we're all still in.

SkyZero
09-15-2005, 04:00 PM
You'll find out Friday afternoon

Thanks for the info Brian! Now I can stop checking my mail...:D

Just checked the status of my Maya package and it seems its going to get here a day earlier which is...today! :thumbsup:

Has anybody completely formatted there systems prior to starting class? I'm probably going to do that today when I get home. Gotta love that fresh, clean computer feeling. :D

mberrynk
09-15-2005, 04:21 PM
:buttrock: hey all, i'm starting at AM on monday too, looking forward to getting to know you and your work. Also thanks to anyone here who responded to my thread a month or two ago about animation mentor, it made the decision to enroll a lot easier. So, good luck to everyone this first term, see you Monday

DigitalToon2
09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Monday just won't come fast enough, of course months and weeks ago is seemed like it would never come, and now it's almost here!:eek: :bounce:

mikefeil
09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Monday just won't come fast enough, of course months and weeks ago is seemed like it would never come, and now it's almost here!:eek: :bounce:

so true my friend, Im in some state of just thinking its not going to happen still. Too good to be true.

look forward to seeing you all in there folks

Rye
09-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know when we'll be able to register for spring 2006? I want to get it in as early as possible.

Kimotion
09-15-2005, 05:49 PM
:buttrock: hey all, i'm starting at AM on monday too, looking forward to getting to know you and your work. Also thanks to anyone here who responded to my thread a month or two ago about animation mentor, it made the decision to enroll a lot easier. So, good luck to everyone this first term, see you Monday

AHA! I remember you. You started that other thread that got really heated at one point (of course it was my fault, hehe). Glad you made the wise decision :)

Jiminy
09-15-2005, 08:42 PM
You started that other thread that got really heated at one point (of course it was my fault, hehe). Glad you made the wise decision :)

You know you really love AAU Kimotion:) You wish you were still here with us trying to get in the Pixar class. Boy am I glad I finally get to start AM on Monday!

OneSharpMarble
09-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Thier website says it costs around $13,000 and there is no loans or grants so for all you rich animators out there have fun.

As for me I will be rooting through your trash for old texts. :(

DigitalToon2
09-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Thier website says it costs around $13,000 and there is no loans or grants so for all you rich animators out there have fun.

Acturally you can get student loans through a division of Sallie Mae now, it was in the august newsletter, but you have to contact Animation Mentor to get more information. And acturally tuition is around $14,500. now.

bentllama
09-15-2005, 09:02 PM

it is even better when your company pays for it.

i don't know if i could pay for it myself either, but i sure am glad that we have a training budget at work.

bentllama
09-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I cannot wait for semester 3.

I am ready to kick some ass!

pmiles
09-15-2005, 11:20 PM
The Sallie Mae loan is only for U.S. citizens and it is not government subsidized like the FASA stuff meaning you pay a lot more for that loan than you would if you had the ability to secure a FASA loan. Better than nothing though.

I myself am paying for this myself... still far cheaper in the long run than a standard 2 year or 4 year school. And no, I am not rich... just pilfering from the old IRA account... I call it creative accounting... my tax accountant calls it a 10% penalty. Oh well.

Tuition appears to be locked in once you enroll... so while the tuition went up $200 per class for us this Fall term, it doesn't appear that it will change for us over the coming terms. So, the sooner you get in, the cheaper the program will be for you.

I think Spring 2006 enrollment might begin once the Fall term is over... they seem to be on a two term cycle in terms of updating the enrollment info. Things may change though. Best idea would be to contact AM directly as they would be the one's who would know for sure when they plan on opening up enrollment. For example, we Fall termers had the option of selecting either Fall 2005 or Winter 2006 when we applied. I believe the Summer termers were offered Summer 2005 or Fall 2005 as their start time frame. I'm guessing tho... you might want to ask the great swammie and essay wizkid Brian Nicolucci...

OneSharpMarble
09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
it is even better when your company pays for it.

i don't know if i could pay for it myself either, but i sure am glad that we have a training budget at work.

Hah this is so bizarre, I was on your blog today and was going to email you asking is you had any words of advice for newbie animators like myself but I couldn't find your email.

Working for Bungie is like an insane dream for me but for you it is reality, just strange I guess. O.o

agreenster
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
I thought I was going to get to do AM, but it turns out that in order for Shaba to pay for it, it has to be an ACCREDITED school.

Bah.

Oh well, back to animating....at.....work.....anyway....

Rye
09-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Just remember its a tax write off if you are already working in the 3d field! :D

sergeantT
09-16-2005, 03:06 AM
I'm jealous of you all.

I guess you'll be getting your mentor assignments Friday.

I've applied to animationmentor's Winter 06 term. I'm really loking forward to the whole experience. Especially after reading the blogs and posts about the school.
um...
If I'm accepted, that is. You see, I applied at the end of August and haven't heard anything since my aptitude test. So It's been a bit over 2 weeks now. Getting quite anxious here.

someone gimme a shout.

Shreds
09-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Congrats to everyone that is going to AM this Fall and to everyone that is continuing from their current terms! I can't believe term 3 guys are going to get to use Bishop! That's awesome. The movement that I have seen him go through looks like it's going to be a pretty cool character so good luck to all of you future term 3 people. I can't wait to see the animations done in that class! I can't wait for term 2 to start up myself. It seems this last week has lasted forever without an animation assignment due. I'm looking foward to meeting all of the new mentees and continuing the terms with the current ongoing students!

Good Luck everyone!
It's going to be great!

DigitalToon2
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm jealous of you all.

I guess you'll be getting your mentor assignments Friday.

I've applied to animationmentor's Winter 06 term. I'm really loking forward to the whole experience. Especially after reading the blogs and posts about the school.
um...

someone gimme a shout.

Be patient, I know what your going through and so does everyone else. When I applied for fall at the end of may, it took till july for me to find out I was accepted, probably cause they were busy at AM getting ready for the summer students to start so I'm sure they were pretty busy, which is most likly the case here with fall quarter right around the corner. Good Luck!

sergeantT
09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Be patient, I know what your going through and so does everyone else. When I applied for fall at the end of may, it took till july for me to find out I was accepted, probably cause they were busy at AM getting ready for the summer students to start so I'm sure they were pretty busy, which is most likly the case here with fall quarter right around the corner. Good Luck!

OK, Nicole.
I'll try to relax.
[breathe in, breathe out]

Thanks for the reassurance.

ttesla
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
hahhah everyoby here's so anxious :) cause of the same reason - too see what's coming next. :) after you get your mentor you'll be even more anxious to start ASAP! hahah and that's what AnimationMentor is - the place that makes you feel SUPER-EXCITED all day long! :)

my previous mentor, Bill Diaz was AWESOME!!! he is an amazing guy and a teacher. any of you guys that will see his name in the email are free to jump off their chairs and do triple-bounce run around several city blocks. screaming allowed too. hahhahaha

now i'm waiting to see who the new mentor would be too... such a great present for my birthday. hihihiiihi less than 12 hours left... :applause: i'm going out to chill out a bit and do some drawings. :)

welcome new-comers :thumbsup: welcome welcome weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :scream:

ArneK
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
As soon as I got my Student ID and Enrollment Confirmation from AM, I contacted my local Alias reseller to order a copy of Maya. Well, they contacted Alias European office who again contacted Alias Head Office in Toronto. And their reply was:

"It seems to be quite clear that the only students that qualify for Student Licenses are those who are studying full time at an academic institute".

My reseller now says I have to purchase a full commercial licence of Maya Complete which here in Norway costs US$3300.00. Unlimited is about US$10,900.00 (Yup, Norway is expensive).

I've contacted Animation Mentor about this, but haven't received a reply from them yet. And school starts on Monday and I have no Maya. Help! :eek:

Has anyone else had problems with Alias on this?

SkyZero
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
As soon as I got my Student ID and Enrollment Confirmation from AM, I contacted my local Alias reseller to order a copy of Maya. Well, they contacted Alias European office who again contacted Alias Head Office in Toronto. And their reply was:

"It seems to be quite clear that the only students that qualify for Student Licenses are those who are studying full time at an academic institute".

My reseller now says I have to purchase a full commercial licence of Maya Complete which here in Norway costs US$3300.00. Unlimited is about US$10,900.00 (Yup, Norway is expensive).

I've contacted Animation Mentor about this, but haven't received a reply from them yet. And school starts on Monday and I have no Maya. Help! :eek:

I just received my copy of Maya from Studica yesterday without any issues. After ordering, I just sent an e-mail with the proof of enrollment image AM sent us attached to it and all was well. Wonder why you're running into this problem? :shrug:

ArneK
09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
After ordering, I just sent an e-mail with the proof of enrollment image AM sent us attached to it and all was well.

Just what I did. I have no idea why this is happening. My dealer said he had been contacted by another AM student as well, and had to turn down his order too.

I've contacted AM and I hope they'll get in touch with Alias and fix this ASAP... :shrug:

stewartjones
09-16-2005, 02:54 PM

I had no problems with mine. I used JourneyEd Europe to get my copy of Maya. The AM student enrollment form should allow you to get Maya for the student discount, as this is a full-time course. Maybe call AM and ask them for help on this one?!?!:shrug:

ArneK
09-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the tip, Vyntax. I just placed my order on JourneyEd Europe. Never knew about this academic webstore. Let's hope they are quick :thumbsup:

pmiles
09-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I didn't have any problems with Studica.com (U.S. Sales)... JourneyED.com didn't even know who AnimationMentor.com was and asked if they were accredited. Since I knew they weren't accredited, I figured they wouldn't process the sale. Which is odd, because they sent me a catalog with a customer ID code of AM05... which is when I start at AM. I think the problem is the place is just so new that not everyone is familiar with it yet. I think if Alias put out the word that AM qualifies for student pricing, then the question of accreditation would be moot. I know places that offer crash course training in Maya and their students can get Maya at the student price and their entire program doesn't even span more than 3 months. I think it's all a matter of talking to the right person... and perhaps having a direct link to a retailer so that even the retailer is aware that this is a special agreement.

Good luck with your JourneyEd.com attempt... I was nervous about their not knowing about AM, so I went with Studica.com.

Kimotion
09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
You know you really love AAU Kimotion:) You wish you were still here with us trying to get in the Pixar class. Boy am I glad I finally get to start AM on Monday!

Actually they finally opened a new section for that class to accomodate the many many pissed off students so they won't all start leaving the "school."

You'll like AM. The price is a bit cheaper any AAU "animation" class (plus their $500 lab fee) and you get 10 times more the education. And I'm not exaggerating.

Kimotion
09-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Any minute now ..... aaaaaannnyy minute now.

you know what i mean

My Fault
09-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Any minute now ..... aaaaaannnyy minute now.

you know what i mean

Please, they love to torture us. I bet we get it at 4:59!

Jiminy
09-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Actually they finally opened a new section for that class to accomodate the many many pissed off students so they won't all start leaving the "school."

Oh yeah, I haven't heard of that, I should check that out because I'm actually still here at AAU. I decided to finish here to take advantage of the art classes and do AM at the same time, and I am so glad I decided to enroll thanks from some good advice from Ali who was in one of my classes here at AAU. But I just can't wait to get started actually learning some animation instead of just learning menus in MAYA.

P.S. has anyone heard who there mentor is yet? As soon as it hit noon I started getting antsy!
Gotta go check my email again:) Good luck everyone!

SkyZero
09-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Please, they love to torture us. I bet we get it at 4:59!

With my luck it'll turn out to be 4:59:59! :D

andy_maxman
09-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Pretend that all the best CG animators on the planet got together and decided to create an online school.

Okay, now pretend it's real.

Okay, now breathe.

www.animationmentor.com (http://www.animationmentor.com)

......and today I shall breathe......
totally totally relieved......
looking forward to hear the captain scream 'onboardNinjas'........

comeMonday, its action time................
huuuuuraaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.............

:bounce:

JSW32
09-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Current AMer'ss's's? Um yea, so how does it work once you get your mentor. like what happens on the first day of class? Is that when the global orientation is? Am i supposed to be online, on the website at a particular time? I'd call AM but I thought I'd ask here first. Basically, what am I to expect for the first day (monday!!!) week, etc. Thanks....
-Justin

pmiles
09-16-2005, 08:21 PM
You should be able to access the orientation video/pdf via the link that they provided. You won't be able to log in to the school until Monday. The email that we are so anxiously waiting for is info on who are Mentor is going to be and when we are scheduled to do Q and A.

Monday when we log in, we'll get our assignment for the week, not to mention gain access to our lectures for the week and all the other cool stuff. We'll be old hat at this soon enough!

Check out the orientation as soon as you can, plus test out your webcam on the AM site... you don't need to have access to the school to do the test. The pdf document talks you through it. It also tells you about other things that you will need for class.

fluffybunny
09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Current AMer'ss's's? Um yea, so how does it work once you get your mentor. like what happens on the first day of class? Is that when the global orientation is? Am i supposed to be online, on the website at a particular time? I'd call AM but I thought I'd ask here first. Basically, what am I to expect for the first day (monday!!!) week, etc. Thanks....
-Justin

If memory serves me correctly, I think there will be a global Q&A for all newcomers on Monday evening. They're not going to do the whole school cause that would probably explode the server. 700 webcam streams is alot of data....but everyone typing '1' or '0' in the chat box is what usually seems to kill it....hehehe :D

I think they're busy constructing things on the site right now so I can't log in and check this...even the forums appear seem to be "being worked on".

*edit* BTW, I'm sure the particulars on this will be in the email they send out...soon......and I'm not sure they close up shop at 5pm always....so could be later :(

eric

Sean MacNeil
09-16-2005, 08:41 PM
*tapping foot anxiously*

Brian, you're right they do like to torture us. hehehe. As much as I can't to wait to find out who my mentor is, I actually like this gitty feeling that comes with it!

See ya all in class,
Sean.

bentllama
09-16-2005, 10:02 PM
anyone know thier mentor yet? anyone? beuller?

My Fault
09-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Haha, like I said, they love to torture us. It is only around 3:30 so we still have some time left. I can just picture Luis sitting at his desk reading posts with his hand poised over the send button.... waiting. Torture, torture I say! :)

clockwerkz
09-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Did they eliminate that fall 05 mentor thread on AM's forums?

bentllama
09-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Haha, like I said, they love to torture us. It is only around 3:30 so we still have some time left. I can just picture Luis sitting at his desk reading posts with his hand poised over the send button.... waiting. Torture, torture I say! :)

this is enough to make me fly into SF for an AM BBQ and roshambo them ASAP :)

sternio
09-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Did they eliminate that fall 05 mentor thread on AM's forums?

Nope it's still there. In chit chat (the sticky one at the top)

pmiles
09-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Crap. Studica shipped the wrong version of Maya to me... now I have to ship it back to them in order to get the right product shipped to me. Lousy timing. :sad:

To make up for this... I should get Bobby Beck as my Mentor this Fall ;)

Bentagon
09-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Is Bobby BOOM mentoring? I'd think he's a cruising mentor, since he's CEO and does all the animations, etc?

Something else that I found surprising: I always thought we'd get that little AM monster (its name is escaping me) to do the acting. Maybe you'll get the opportunity in a few months (at least the 3rd semester guys and gals).

- Benjamin

My Fault
09-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Is Bobby BOOM mentoring? I'd think he's a cruising mentor, since he's CEO and does all the animations, etc?

Something else that I found surprising: I always thought we'd get that little AM monster (its name is escaping me) to do the acting. Maybe you'll get the opportunity in a few months (at least the 3rd semester guys and gals).

- Benjamin

Haha, man if Bobby could mentor for everyone you know he would. He loves it! But that guy is too busy setting up cool stuff for all of us!!

And as for animating Spike, one can only hope we get a chance to keyframe the little dude!

3FnD
09-16-2005, 11:32 PM
And as for animating Spike, one can only hope we get a chance to keyframe the little dude!
We know he exists in 3D...somewhere. Could it be just a matter of time? No one knows...yet! :)

clockwerkz
09-16-2005, 11:51 PM
T-minus 10 minutes before the proverbial 5 PM deadline.. who knows..maybe we'll get the assignments in the middle of the night..

I think I'll head a couple hundred pages back.. I'm feeling kinda nostalgic remembering waiting for AM's site to come live to sign up.. :-)

Carlos

bentllama
09-16-2005, 11:55 PM
zomg i hate waiting...and i have to leave for a dinner event soon so i will not be able to check emial for hours...i need to get a blackberry, damnit!

Sean MacNeil
09-17-2005, 12:16 AM

That would be sweet! Spike is one appealing character for sure, I luv looking at that little guy.

Soooooooo, tick tock tick tock tick tock, as soon as anybody gets an email or hears even the slightest nugget of mentor info, be sure to post something here. I'll do the same.

I can't take it anymore...please....neeeeed...some.....mentor....I.....*passes out*

AjaBogdanoff
09-17-2005, 12:22 AM
So I guess you guys wouldn't appreciate it if I started pretending like I got the email already, right? ;)

Tell you what, I'll go walk away from the computer for a while, that'll guarantee it'll come right away! Like how the bus always comes right after I give up and leave!

Or like a balloon, when something bad happens!

Jiminy
09-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Man you weren't kidding when you said 4:59:59. This is torture. This is the first time I have had the feeling of being so excited that I am stressed out. It's Grrreeeeeeaaaaat!

Just keep checking, just keep checking.

Bentagon
09-17-2005, 12:48 AM
T-minus 10 minutes before the proverbial 5 PM deadline.. who knows..maybe we'll get the assignments in the middle of the night..

I think I'll head a couple hundred pages back.. I'm feeling kinda nostalgic remembering waiting for AM's site to come live to sign up.. :-)

CarlosWent back too. Can't believe that was over 200 pages ago! What a night that was... pitty I only experienced the last of it. 60 pages in one night... That's the AM way :D

- Benjamin

pmiles
09-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Of course we're all just assuming close of business Friday is the cutoff for email... they could send it out on Sunday.

My Fault
09-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Not assuming Pam, this is what we were told in the AM forum. Haven't you learned to trust us yet? :D

3FnD
09-17-2005, 01:06 AM
So I guess you guys wouldn't appreciate it if I started pretending like I got the email already, right? ;)

Tell you what, I'll go walk away from the computer for a while, that'll guarantee it'll come right away! Like how the bus always comes right after I give up and leave!

Or like a balloon, when something bad happens!

I tried to pretend I got mine. it wasn't as good as the real thang. But my mentor was John Lasseter. Maybe we should all pretend to give up and walk away...for only say, 2 minutes. All at the same time, ready, set...WALK!

Oh, well. F5 it is.

pmiles
09-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Not assuming Pam, this is what we were told in the AM forum. Haven't you learned to trust us yet? :D

They got wind of the fact that my Maya was the wrong version so they are waiting until my new shipment arrives before announcing anything... LOL

My Fault
09-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Ah yeah, Jason Ryan!! Wooo. And the group I am with kick butt!! Wooo!! Bashing around with the Bentllama is gonna be fun!

ttesla
09-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Mike Walling :applause: [Sony Imageworks]!!

SlipGun
09-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Hey, there's only some ~107 of us in class 1. Weren't we expecting more?

Not that that's a bad thing ...

JSW32
09-17-2005, 02:06 AM
Steve Cady... does anyone know who he is?

SkyZero
09-17-2005, 02:07 AM
I am slightly confused with the class 1 listing. In the student breakdown it shows Bret Parker as my mentor. Though when I scroll down to the mentor breakdown with the students listed beneath their respective mentors, my name is listed as being with Brett Coderre.

Also Brett Coderre is not listed in the student breakdowns and all students that are listed with Bret Parker in the student list are shown as being with Brett Coderre in the mentor list below.

Both Brett Coderre and Bret Parker are bith listed in AM with Bret Parker info coming soon. :shrug:

EDIT for JSW32:

Steve Cady IMDB Search -
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) (post-production) (animator)
The Ring Two (2005) (animator)
Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) (animator)
Eight Crazy Nights (2002) (animator)
Sheena (2000) TV Series (lead animator)

:thumbsup:

Shreds
09-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Whooohoooo! BRETTE CODERRE! PIXAR animator since A Bug's Life!

mikefeil
09-17-2005, 02:29 AM
woo Michal Makarewicz.

he worked on jack jack attack, so im guessing hes from pixar.

Hello to everyone in my class, cant wait to meet you all. See you around this time on Wensday.

bledsoed
09-17-2005, 03:25 AM
Whoo Hoo, for my first term i have Charles Alleneck. he's been at ILM the last 5 years and has worked on the hulk SW II,III and several others.

Man i cant wait, first q/a on tuesday

Derek

Darknessseeker0
09-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Hello fellow AM students! I can't wait to begin working with you guys! My mentor for class #1 is Steve Cady. :)

aijoe
09-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Hello fellow AM students! I can't wait to begin working with you guys! My mentor for class #1 is Steve Cady. :)

Hi Jocelyn. I guess I'm in your class. See you there and best wishes to everyone :)

fluffybunny
09-17-2005, 03:58 AM
I'm 98% sure that Bret Parker is doing Class 1.

Brett Coderre is listed in Class 2 as well so I think he's doing class 2.

They both work at Pixar.....Bret Parker did the voice of the babysitter in the Incredibles.

eric

DigitalToon2
09-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi Jocelyn. I guess I'm in your class. See you there and best wishes to everyone :)

I have Steve Cady as well.

Jiminy
09-17-2005, 03:59 AM
Charles Alleneck SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. Now I can sleep tonight.

See you all on Monday.

bentllama
09-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Ah yeah, Jason Ryan!! Wooo. And the group I am with kick butt!! Wooo!! Bashing around with the Bentllama is gonna be fun!

not to mention the mysterious billo in that group too...way to go! i thrive on peer pressure to do better!

this semester is going to rock!

anthea
09-17-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm In The JR Club Too Y'all

Bentagon
09-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Michelle Meeker! Never heard of her before, and her mini-biography isn't on the site yet, but she's worked at Pixar, Dreamworks AND Weta! Can't wait!

Anyone else in the meeker club?

- Benjamin

ArneK
09-17-2005, 11:49 AM

Hi classmate! After a quick Google search it seems like Michelle's also been working in games as well. The Sims a.o. And she's worked on the movies Shrek and Return of the King. I'd say we're in good hands :thumbsup:

Global Q&A is 6.30 am local Norwegian time... Eaaaarly... I'd better get used to it lol

stewartjones
09-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Global Q&A is 6.30 am local Norwegian time... Eaaaarly... I'd better get used to it lol

Pah, that's nothing. My first Q&A with my new mentor is 5.00am... Oh, how it hurts being up before the sun!

ArneK
09-17-2005, 12:14 PM
It's gonna hurt even more when it is mid-winter and totally pitch black outside when the alarm clock rings... THAT will be hard. But it will be worth it :applause:

WillRyan
09-17-2005, 02:12 PM
I just got back from a week of work in Las Vegas with no e-mail access, so the suspense has been killing me! I've got Class 1 with Matthew Russell, who I think must work at DNA Studios, because he's credited on Jimmy Neutron and Ant Bully.

Monday can't come fast enough! Good luck to everybody, and I can't wait to meet the CGTalk AM'ers.

Bentagon
09-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi classmate! After a quick Google search it seems like Michelle's also been working in games as well. The Sims a.o. And she's worked on the movies Shrek and Return of the King. I'd say we're in good hands :thumbsup:

Global Q&A is 6.30 am local Norwegian time... Eaaaarly... I'd better get used to it lolYou'd better, yeah! Our Q&A's'll be a half an hour earlier! That means getting up right before 5, dressing, washing to be online about 45 min before it really starts. Who needs food and sleep anyway?

Norway rocks btw! Have been there twice... beautiful country.

- Benjamin

rokandic
09-17-2005, 02:58 PM
- Benjamin

Yup, count me in :) It seems a lot of club members will be waking up early (6AM here too) ;)

Cheers,
Rok

SkyZero
09-17-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm 98% sure that Bret Parker is doing Class 1.

Brett Coderre is listed in Class 2 as well so I think he's doing class 2.

They both work at Pixar.....Bret Parker did the voice of the babysitter in the Incredibles.

eric

Thanks for the info eric! Didn't realize that Brett Coderre was a mentor for class 2 and after looking through the other class lists, mentors don't have more than 1 class so I'm siding with you. :thumbsup:

Bret Parker it is for me! :thumbsup: :D Anybody else in this camp?

Bentagon
09-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Yup, count me in :) It seems a lot of club members will be waking up early (6AM here too) ;)

Cheers,
RokLet's have an online pyjama party :D

- Benjamin

C_Arnold
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I have Cady as well. The anticipation has me all a-flutter. :bounce: Or maybe it's just the caffeine...

JSW32
09-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I have Cady. Sounds good. So are we able to login to the site early monday morning? or is it only when the global Q&A starts that us newbies are able to login? Cause I'd like to search around on the site ahead of time.

Ejecta
09-17-2005, 09:56 PM
I have Doug Dooley from PIXAR! SWEET!!!

Jiminy
09-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey y'all. I noticed that my Q&A is unluckily scheduled for the one night that I have any kind of reoccuring conflict at all. If I could get out of it I would but I can't, so I'm wondering if anyone has come up against this problem before, and found a good solution?

Do I email them and try to switch mentors, or am I stuck missing Q&A or trying to surreptitiously email questions from a Blackberry somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

bentllama
09-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey y'all. I noticed that my Q&A is unluckily scheduled for the one night that I have any kind of reoccuring conflict at all. If I could get out of it I would but I can't, so I'm wondering if anyone has come up against this problem before, and found a good solution?

Do I email them and try to switch mentors, or am I stuck missing Q&A or trying to surreptitiously email questions from a Blackberry somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

ask for another night...they will/may front you a new mentor, but if you cannot make the QA, you are missing a BIG piece of the education and feedback loop.

i can't wait for Jason Ryan's QA's.

rokk! :buttrock:

My Fault
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM

Thanks,

Jim

I would say email them. They are always looking out for the best interest of the student.

Jiminy
09-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I would say email them. They are always looking out for the best interest of the student.

Thanks, I think I will email, cuz I would really hate to miss all those great Q&A's. I wasn't sure how flexible the schedules are, and I don't think I will be able to reach anyone til' Monday anways so thanks for giving me some peace of mind.

Jim

mmkelly011881
09-17-2005, 10:36 PM
HOAAAAAAAAH!!! MORE FRESHMEAT!!!

BNIC.. get out the shaving cream and balloon animals... Aja.. you're on monkey patrol!

no need for moderation in Moderatin'!

aijoe
09-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi all
Just a quick quick question. This first Q and A session we with our mentor, are they set for the rest of the term or are they penciled in for just this one time so that we can meet everyone in our group and receives our assignment? I have mine on a Wednesday night, but it's in conflict with my night school. Can we as a group decide which day of the week is best for the group? Thanks

Rye
09-18-2005, 02:02 AM
Good luck to all the new students! :)

And good luck to anyone entering semester 3...I'm sure it'll be tough, and of course so much fun.

pmiles
09-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Hi all
Just a quick quick question. This first Q and A session we with our mentor, are they set for the rest of the term or are they penciled in for just this one time so that we can meet everyone in our group and receives our assignment? I have mine on a Wednesday night, but it's in conflict with my night school. Can we as a group decide which day of the week is best for the group? Thanks

I believe the Q and A is scheduled in such a way as to accomodate the Mentor's schedules. It looks like a pretty consistent/tight schedule... thus I would think that it is the student who either must adjust their schedule or perhaps switch Mentors. I would think that a student for student swap must take place to keep the actual workload per Mentor even.

I think you should contact AM about your situation ASAP so that if you must be switched to another Mentor, it can be done at a time when another person in a similar bind can be moved as well.

fluffybunny
09-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi all

I think it's probably going to be the same time throughout the term. You probably ought to email support. I think there may be a few of you that it sounds like have conflicts with your scheduled QnA time. Perhaps some mentor swapping could clear that up.
They have been posting a schedule every week, but it has been the same to the best of my recollection. I think the only thing that changes from week to week is whom is doing the makeup QnA on Saturdays. Sometimes a Mentor might have a conflict and need a substitute for the QnA too.

eric

aijoe
09-18-2005, 03:12 AM
I think it's probably going to be the same time throughout the term. You probably ought to email support. I think there may be a few of you that it sounds like have conflicts with your scheduled QnA time. Perhaps some mentor swapping could clear that up.
They have been posting a schedule every week, but it has been the same to the best of my recollection. I think the only thing that changes from week to week is whom is doing the makeup QnA on Saturdays. Sometimes a Mentor might have a conflict and need a substitute for the QnA too.

eric

Thanks pmiles and Eric for the reply. With the time zone I can just make it home for the q/a but I will miss the 1 hour before class start to chat with my fellow classmate.
I think it will be ok, but i have to ask my night school teacher if i can leave half an hour sooner from her class.
Man, all I need is for the q/a session to start just an hour later. Anyway, thanks.

andy_maxman
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Carlos

i guess it was the 17th or the 19th of march when the gates opened and we all hammered our F5 keys to extinction.........it was so much fun....i kept giggling all through as this thread 'boomend' by more than 60 pages that day......and then the birth F5 comic series.....:)

and a big hi to all the Charles Alleneck students....see you all soon....:wavey:
cheers!

sinbad
09-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Brett Coderre for me! Last class I had ex Sony now Dreamworks animator Bill Diaz, this time a pixar veteran. Cant get any better than this! (If any of you guys get Bill this class, you are in luck, he's a spiderman animating all american action hero! Ask him about the secret "fart emmitter" he invented to track spiderman's motion path:scream: )

Brett Coderre.... hmmmm......... The pressure is on to impress guys. and...

WELCOME TO ALL NEWBIES!:bounce: :bounce: YOU GUYS ARE GONNA LOVE IT!

d_jnaneswar
09-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi people!!

I have Sandy Christensen.
HI CLASS!
My class is at 9:30 Am in the morning on tuesdays... cool.
Watch out AM..im coming..

agreenster
09-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Several of my coworkers know Michelle and they give her the highest praise

I think Coop knows her......dont ya Coop?

coop
09-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Michelle is great! I give her highest of props- I'd take her for a class- her acting choices are really inspired, and with pixar, pdi and weta as previous employers, you mentees are in good hands.

-coop

Jiminy
09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi all
I have mine on a Wednesday night, but it's in conflict with my night school. Can we as a group decide which day of the week is best for the group? Thanks

Hey aijoe, I'll trade you my Tuesday night for your Wednesday?
I'm having the same problem and I just wrote them an email and am waiting to find out the answer on Monday. Good luck.

Jim W

aijoe
09-19-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey aijoe, I'll trade you my Tuesday night for your Wednesday?
I'm having the same problem and I just wrote them an email and am waiting to find out the answer on Monday. Good luck.

Jim W

Thanks Jim. I'm ok with it. Just let me know what i have to do on my end. Again thanks!

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 02:29 AM
just a quick little question. Can all of us fall comers access the site at 12.00am (PDT) tonight?

thanx

rsluman
09-19-2005, 03:22 AM
just a quick little question. Can all of us fall comers access the site at 12.00am (PDT) tonight?

thanx

I seem to recall hearing noon PST, but I don't remember where I heard that...

andy_maxman
09-19-2005, 05:05 AM
can some one please pass over a link (blogs) to Charles Alleneck's previous term students?

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 05:39 AM
dammit I was really looking forward to getting on the site and getting use to it all, before the global q&a tomorrow. Anyway, maybe it will work at 12.00am Monday. Hopefully :)

rsluman
09-19-2005, 06:13 AM
can some one please pass over a link (blogs) to Charles Alleneck's previous term students?
I found these (although neither says much about Charles):
Robert Casumbal (http://www.robertcasumbal.com/blog)
and
David Leighton (http://shakeyd.blogspot.com/) says...
"Charles worked on a bunch of things too, of course. He contributed "a lot with the fight scene between Yoda and the emperor in the Senate room, but also did the shot of Yoda waving his hand and having the Royal Guards collapse, in addition to having Yoda climb up on Chewies back, and when R2 got kicked over by the battle droid. Charles says this was his worst shot, but I think its great, and funny. He's just being overly critical, at least that's what everyone else feels."

I'll be a Alleneck mentee too, by the way...

dammit I was really looking forward to getting on the site and getting use to it all, before the global q&a tomorrow. Anyway, maybe it will work at 12.00am Monday. Hopefully :)
I know that I will certainly try to get in in 47 minutes:bounce:

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
oh hell yeah, bit less then 30 mins to go. get those f5 keys ready :D

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 06:57 AM
3 mins to go, I hope :). Has anyone seen that miyazaki movie "pom poco" seriously one of the best animated films I have ever seen.

rsluman
09-19-2005, 07:02 AM
I got in the forums! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 07:03 AM
inactive :(. It must be tomorrow at noon I guess. Ahh dang.

ohh what the deuce, the forums are at the player page right ?

SlipGun
09-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Main page: inactive. Player page: invalid username/password ... ?

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Main page: inactive. Player page: invalid username/password ... ?

exactly the same as me. I dunno where this secret am forum page is, but please do tell

andy_maxman
09-19-2005, 07:13 AM
i have been able to login....been there for alomst 2 hours now......and have been watching the video news.....

thanks for the link, rsluman...

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 07:14 AM
oh what the hell, this is either the biggest chain yank ever or the saddest day of my life :(. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

rsluman
09-19-2005, 07:15 AM
animationmentor.com/forum

andy_maxman
09-19-2005, 07:17 AM
frankly, i still don't know where am i supposed to be? and someone pls let me know.....am i supposed to be ready with my webcam from the first day on?..... or is it ok to have it on by the first q & a session......?

mikefeil
09-19-2005, 07:17 AM
sweet, im in there.

andy_maxman
09-19-2005, 07:19 AM
hey! happy birthday, Aja...:thumbsup:
(member.php?u=100535)

rsluman
09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
There's a thread in the chit-chat section welcoming us, the new freshmen.

How sweet...

SkyZero
09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Getting inactive on the main page and invalid username/password on the player page. Guess I'll wait it out for a bit before I try again. (logged into the forums though)

AjaBogdanoff
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Yarrr!

Thanks Andy! :D

Happy to have all you fresh new faces finally a part of the school! I'm sure y'all will be set up on the main page and player page soon, but until then, there's a whole heck of a lot of stuff to read on the forums. Enjoy! :)

SkyZero
09-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Yarrr!

Thanks Andy! :D

Happy to have all you fresh new faces finally a part of the school! I'm sure y'all will be set up on the main page and player page soon, but until then, there's a whole heck of a lot of stuff to read on the forums. Enjoy! :)

On yes, there is much to read. I don't get home from work until later today so I'm going to drown myself in AM threads for now. :thumbsup:

Bentagon
09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Arrr... ye matey's got inactive as well. I guess I'll be awaitin' forr a lil' bit longer. See ye there soon, matey's! Ahoy!

Yarr... it's ye ol' talk-like-a-pirate day!

- Benjamin

ArneK
09-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm browsing the forum right now :applause:

See y'all inside!

SkyZero
09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Got back from lunch and I was able to log into the main site! :thumbsup:

Jiminy
09-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Man I had no idea that there was so much info in the forums. How do you guys keep all of it organized and keep up to date on everything going on. So much reading.

Bentagon
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Man, this is effin AWESOME!!!

- Benjamin

My Fault
09-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Man, this is effin AWESOME!!!

- Benjamin

Hehehe, you ain't seen nothin yet! Yeharr!

anthea
09-19-2005, 07:25 PM
i had a similar problem with a Q and A conflict last term. I contacted the school and they were able to place me in a different class with a different mentor. BUT i had informed them previously that i was taking some extra classes that might interfere. you should have notified them before they set up the classes if you had a time conflict, then they would have known what days/times you could make it to the Q and A and tried to hook you up. for instance you can request, the latest time, or tell them No Wednesdays or something, just giving them a heads up before they start scheduling.

AjaBogdanoff
09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Hehehe, you ain't seen nothin yet! Yeharr!

Yarr, just wait until the virtual noogies begin! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/dressed/bek051.gif

Ejecta
09-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Also dont forget all the newbs have to swollow virtual gold fish after the first assignment.

Yardee Yar Yar.

bentllama
09-19-2005, 09:31 PM
YAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

pmiles
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Just a heads up to all you new Fall termers... there is an assignment posted for this week, it may not have been up when you first looked this morning. It's under Student Reference. There's a model to download, a lecture to watch, and a host of other things to check out.

Apparently there is a global Q and A tonight 9/19 at 9:30 PDT, so don't be late. The date and time was posted on the class roster list you looked at to find out who your mentor was and what day your weekly Q and A would be.

So much stuff to review and it's only the first day!

See you all tonight...

My Fault
09-19-2005, 10:54 PM
So was I supposed to tar and feather Pam or was that you Aja? So many students to haze and so little time! :)

My Fault
09-19-2005, 10:55 PM
YAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

And a YAAARRRRR right back at ye, me favorite piratical canucklehead! :buttrock:

AjaBogdanoff
09-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Yarr, Nicolucci, I remember the good ol' days when freshmen used to tar and feather themselves... now you're lucky just to get them to swallow a virtual goldfish!

I just don't know what this world is coming to.

bentllama
09-19-2005, 11:09 PM
your upside down cake avatar distrubs me, Aja.

*shivers*

Kimotion
09-19-2005, 11:48 PM
I am a JedIKE.

3FnD
09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Yarr, Nicolucci, I remember the good ol' days when freshmen used to tar and feather themselves... By "good ol' days" that would have been us, right? Sounds like we tar and feathered ourselves, puttin' it that way! haa!

And I'm gonna have to agree with nathan, I'm glad he mentioned it first about your avatar. It's both fun and eerie. :)

Sean MacNeil
09-20-2005, 03:03 AM
I hope all the newbies had a great day 1, I've been in the virtual beer gardens all afternoon.

*burp*

andy_maxman
09-20-2005, 06:05 AM
it was great seeing you folks in the global q&a session.....

Bentagon
09-20-2005, 06:16 AM
That was some awesome fun up there! Bobby and Carlos were amazing.

- Benjamin

AjaBogdanoff
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
And I'm gonna have to agree with nathan, I'm glad he mentioned it first about your avatar. It's both fun and eerie. :)

Nice!! Just what I was going for. :thumbsup:

My Fault
09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I've met Aja and she really does look like that. Disconcerting at first but you eventually get used to the fact that her whole head is rotated 180 degrees in z. You don't even want to know about her knees!

AjaBogdanoff
09-20-2005, 04:38 PM
It's sort of like in The Phantom Tollbooth, where kids grow towards the ground.

It does make planning out my workspace kind of difficult, though. Oh, when will computer manufacturers listen to the needs of the rotationally-impaired??

Bentagon
09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
So when's the AM freakshow gonna air? Or are they keeping that for advance acting classes? I guess that would be pretty challenging.

- Benjamin

baenca00
09-20-2005, 04:42 PM
It's sort of like in The Phantom Tollbooth, where kids grow towards the ground.

I learned how to do handplants, so that I could talk to Aja now and then. And since then, I got used to walking on my hands upside down. It's awesome. I view the world differently now.

Carlos.

My Fault
09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Hello my name is Aja and I am rotationally challenged. My mother was in local space and my father in world. I never stood a chance!

anthea
09-20-2005, 05:28 PM
I've met Aja and she really does look like that. Disconcerting at first but you eventually get used to the fact that her whole head is rotated 180 degrees in z. You don't even want to know about her knees!

yeah she had to nail her computer to the ceiling to get some work done, that peg leg of hers makes it pretty hard to get up there. the claw hand doesn't help either.

AjaBogdanoff
09-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Look, all I'm going to say is this: You ain't seen nothin' till you've experienced gimbal lock...

...in your neck.

:scream:

mgarward
09-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Look, all I'm going to say is this: You ain't seen nothin' till you've experienced gimbal lock...

...in your neck.

:scream:
I've had that before. Got a touch of it right now. If only there was a pain killer that included a Euler filter...

pmiles
09-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Well I was sort of in a slump when I found out Bobby Beck wasn't going to be my mentor this class... but Carlos made up for it big time last night when he acknowledged my chat comment at global Q and A last night... that's right folks, he showed us that Diet Coke can because of meeeee! I think I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Thanks Carlos!

:applause:

DigitalToon2
09-20-2005, 11:26 PM
The q/a was definitely a lot of fun. Can't wait for more! Bring it on!

d_jnaneswar
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
awww guys.. i missed almost all of it due to a power cut here India...:(

MartyMcFly
09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I know this thread has alot of posts already....but I would like to put in my 2 cents......This school totally rocks. It's awsome how students from all over the world can take these classes, and speak with each other. It's also great that it's focused jsut on animation. I wonder if they will add modeling or texturing to the school someday.

pmiles
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
To anyone who has been trying to view the animations on Justin Rasch's website but has been unable to, the reason is because he is using the Indeo codec. If you are running MAC OSX, there are no players cable of playing the Indeo codec bacause the codec has never been ported to the OSX platform. Only those of you with Classic still running on your machines can download a compatible codec and watch them. For the rest of us, we will need to access the content from a PC, then convert the files into something more Mac OSX freindly.

His stuff is really good... too bad he has inadvertantly blocked an entire platform from viewing it.

http://www.animationrasch.com/

Jiminy
09-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I just wanted to say another huge thank you to everyone over here on cgtalk who answered questions or gave advice or their opinions. It was a major help in making the transition over to AM.

And now in the first week of Basics it is everything I thought it would be and more, so now I know why you were all so excited and positive all the time. Because this place really is the best. I mean it is so awesome I cant believe it. And people are even more positive on the inside than they are even on these forums which is pretty darn positive.

It is nice to be in a place where everyone really shares that feeling and love for animation. So once again thanks to all for being so psyched, sharing your sage advice and keeping us all pumped up because AM is the awesomest place to be right now. You totally rock!
Jim

waydorr
09-24-2005, 10:31 PM
where! where!!:deal:

AjaBogdanoff
09-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Awesome, Jim! Really glad you're in and having a good time. :thumbsup:

And people are even more positive on the inside than they are even on these forums which is pretty darn positive.

LOL, I think we may have learned to tone it down a bit once people started comparing us to cults. :p

Have a great first semester, Jim, and give Brian a noogie for me and everyone else stuck on the store-bought-ice-cream-coast!

fluffybunny
09-25-2005, 12:28 AM
LOL, I think we may have learned to tone it down a bit once people started comparing us to cults. :p

toned...it...down? That's not what I saw on the Class 2/3 Global Q&A this morning.:bounce::buttrock::applause:

I was spending most of the time worrying that Bobby would pick me out of the blue....I was so not in a bouncy mood cause I've been workin alot (my current job isn't animating :sad: ).

I was trying to keep one of my rabbits close by for a distraction just in case....they're always a big q&A hit! :D

asimco
09-26-2005, 02:20 AM
.........Countdown=1.5 years till 18, is there any way i can get into the program and be under 18? any loopholes O.o

sorry for complaining theres just a little ounce of jealousy in my system. This forum kills be with all this juicy information that i can't tap into. :shrug: ..i think i can wait.

harmonic01
09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Hey Asimco. I'm actually a bit jelouse of you. I wish I knew I wanted to do 3D and animation for life when I was your age. Alas, I'm about to turn 27 and just taking AM class 2. So don't worry. you're starting out in this field much earlier then allot of people taking AM classes and you'll probably get your dream job much earlier in life as well.

stewartjones
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
.........Countdown=1.5 years till 18, is there any way i can get into the program and be under 18? any loopholes O.o

sorry for complaining theres just a little ounce of jealousy in my system. This forum kills be with all this juicy information that i can't tap into. :shrug: ..i think i can wait.

No loopholes unfortunately dude. BUT!!! and it's a BIG BUT! You have 1.5 years to practice on your own which is a super big bonus! Just get practicing, I think that would benefit you massively. Like Peter said you are young enough to get your dream job soon enough! I wish this option had been available to me when I was 18 too, as I would be finished now, and hopefully animating my butt off in a studio somewhere! :thumbsup: :D

bentllama
09-26-2005, 04:05 PM
asimco,

i started at sheridan college in classical animation when i was 18. i got in straight out of high school. the reason this happened was due to hard work and constant practice to get the best portfolio i could in my senior years of high school. you are young and have a lot of time to really focus hard on the basics and the traditional "why's" of art; and that is good! if you can impress at only 18, think of what you can do at 22!

agreenster
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
Yup. As long as you have dedication and use your resources wisely, you can achieve your goals sooner than you think. Animation Mentor or not, it only takes work, so anyone can do it. Heck, I never took an animation course in my life where the instructor actually taught animation. Use the resources that you have, and spend time on your skills, and you can get into the industry before you know it. Like Nathan said...its all about the reel

DigitalToon2
09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
asimco,

i started at sheridan college in classical animation when i was 18. i got in straight out of high school. the reason this happened was due to hard work and constant practice to get the best portfolio i could in my senior years of high school. you are young and have a lot of time to really focus hard on the basics and the traditional "why's" of art; and that is good! if you can impress at only 18, think of what you can do at 22!

Exactly! Well said bentlama!

Asimaco, Use this time to concentrate on your drawing skills become the best that you possably can at drawing. The better you draw the easier it will be, but don't get me wrong it still takes a lot of hard work and dedication. It all about how strong your porfolio and demo reel are. And just because you can't get into Animation Mentor just yet doesn't mean that your stuck, there's a lot you can do: draw, observe motion, read animation books like the illussion of life, and just study the worlld around you. There's a ton of inforamtion available to you, you just need to find it and put it to good use.

mttjss
09-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Couple questions for those of you already in AM.

1.) I am finishing my bachelors degree and have only 6 more months to finish - then I was planning on starting at AM. Should I apply early and start or would that be too much overkill. Probably looking at the beginning of next year to start or if I wait, March.

2.) I will have a bachelors in Computer Animation, but if anyone else has read my posts, you will know how crappy the school I am going to is. I know it is what you put into it, but there are limitations to that when you know more than the teachers teaching the class. We studied 2d animation and 3d in general but never 3d animation to its extent. I dont want to waste more $$ on an education that I could better use my time practicing at home. Is AM that good, that I will learn more than the basics of animation and more of the principles and actually getting them into my animations. I know it depends on how skilled I am, but there are some things that I still need an education to get down. I am just trying to determine the best route. I have a butt-load of tuition and loans to pay back now and I feel I really did not get what I wanted from the school other than a degree.

Lastly - why isnt this thread a sticky?? Just curious. thanks for the help guys(& gals)

agreenster
09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
And just because you can't get into Animation Mentor just yet doesn't mean that your stuck, there's a lot you can do: draw, observe motion, read animation books like the illussion of life, and just study the worlld around you.

Well, call me crazy but he could also animate... ;)

Seems like there is a misconception about animation...studying it is great, but DOING it is golden. I know when I watch something someone has animated, and think "aww thats easy" and then try to do it myself, its a completely different beast.

So if you have the means (ie, a computer and Maya PLE or better) you can be well on your way. Emulate what you see and learn from it. Do weight tests and bouncing balls. Compare it to what you see on people's blogs. There's a wealth of free info if you just tap into it. Practice makes perfect, even if you dont have someone from ILM mentoring you. One of the best teaching tools for me personally was the 10SecondClub.

Good luck, YOU can do it

AjaBogdanoff
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd also recommend making an effort to go out and live an incredible life over the next year and a half. Especially since you probably have 3 months of vacation every summer. ;)

Travel, learn to play an instrument well, go skydiving, get scuba certified, volunteer at a nursing home, learn to juggle... get yourself those wonderful life experiences so you have something to draw from once you DO become an animator. You don't want your entire life to be spent in front of the computer or the sketch pad. ;)

Is AM that good, that I will learn more than the basics of animation and more of the principles and actually getting them into my animations.

Yes! :thumbsup:

DigitalToon2
09-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, call me crazy but he could also animate... ;)

Obviously! ;) lol.

I was just thinking back to when I was that age and the resouces that I had available and what I knew then compared to what I know now. But if he's alreadly here asking these kinds of questions, than he's already a step ahead of the game.

My Fault
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Travel, learn to play an instrument well, go skydiving, get scuba certified, volunteer at a nursing home, learn to juggle... get yourself those wonderful life experiences so you have something to draw from once you DO become an animator. You don't want your entire life to be spent in front of the computer or the sketch pad. ;)

Man there are something like 12 million posts in this thread and leave to Jaja to come up with the best bit of advice. If you only get one thing from this thread let it be that quote. Fantastic A!

AjaBogdanoff
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Aw shucks. ;)

Last night I dreamt that Mark and I were camping out in the woods, and we got chased out by an army of mutant supervillains, but it was cool because we ended up really close to SF and got to hang out and eat home-made ice cream with the Nicolucci clan. :p

anthea
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Aw shucks. ;)

Last night I dreamt that Mark and I were camping out in the woods, and we got chased out by an army of mutant supervillains, but it was cool because we ended up really close to SF and got to hang out and eat home-made ice cream with the Nicolucci clan. :p

wow that is some crazy dream jajabean.

i had a weird dream last night too, something about walking the plank..

agreenster
09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
...never forget to live. Only in living can you draw from experiences to be a better artist, and a better person....if all you watch are animated films, your work will have the been-there-done-that vibe. Want to really improve your skills? Take in some broadway!

This is just one of many quotes on this thread about never forgetting to have a life. It was the first piece of advice Mr. Beck ever gave me several Siggraphs ago

My Fault
09-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, and the second best piece of advice on animation in this thread is the one Adam just posted, "studying it is great, but DOING it is golden."

Man, can not say enough how big that one is. Nothing like diving in and just doing it. I think that is one of the biggest reason peoples skills are increasing at such an amazing pace in AM. We have to get stuff done every week, week in and week out. No time to get lazy and push things off.

sternio
09-26-2005, 07:22 PM
totally, You can watch every lecture, and read every book about animation. If you are not practicing, you won't get any better.

Kimotion
09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
"Take in some Broadway."

Does this mean plays? I used to be the biggest watcher of plays (not musicals) and have realized very recently that stage acting and watching shows live is absolute fodder for animation, especially timing, phrasing, and posing. I almost minored in theatre way back when but chickened out due to my pre-med major, trying to become another Dr. Kim. Doing theatre was a release and many times I felt more "real" and genuine when I was on stage, rather than being face to face with people.

Last Saturday I saw a show in NYC titled "A Naked Girl on the Appian Way." No, there were no nude women: the title is a symbol of how secrets are revealed, absolute emotional exposure, bla bla.

But damn...you could just "feel" the emotion with just the absolute subtleties of the actors' body lanugages. Watching that show and realizing that acting is where animation is at only tempts me to get into theater again.

agreenster
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Yup, zactly

bentllama
09-26-2005, 10:45 PM
my kid bro, besides being no. 3 on canadian idol this summer, is a real triple threat. singer, dancer and actor. he has done many different productions including a showtime movie with forrest whittaker and performed on stage at the world renoun stratford festival...so i am accustomed to growing up watching theatre. i even do some acting myself and have been involved in about a dozen different workshops on pantomime, improv, comedic timing, etc. it is great to get out there and get exposed to many different mediums of performance. everything from puppetering to shakespeare; heck even interpretive dance can be fun to dissect for motion and emotion.

get out there and experience it! you will be richer for it!

...and for more info on stratford...
north america's largest classical repertory theatre, presenting the works of William Shakespeare and other great writers.
www.stratford-festival.on.ca/ (http://www.stratford-festival.on.ca/)

3FnD
09-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Is AM that good, that I will learn more than the basics of animation and more of the principles and actually getting them into my animations.
Hahahaha! Not only get them into your animations, AM will help you get them into your bones!

Yeah, AM is that good. Why else would we be so fanatic about it? :)

And great advice/reminders you guys about DOING and LIVING and THEATRE and things of that nature! I sometimes feel like I can't REALLY be an animator because I can never do these things enough!

kenshi
09-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Couple questions for those of you already in AM.

1.) I am finishing my bachelors degree and have only 6 more months to finish

although grades and gpa's don't count for much in the animation industry, i would strongly advise you to finish your degree. planning for the future involves keeping options open, and having some kind of degree to fall back on will only benefit you in terms of getting a decent job if you fall on hard times.

a lot of companies (non-animation) don't care what kind of degree you have or what grades you got as long as you have some degree, but won't even consider you if you don't. now if you're content to wait tables or wash dishes, go ahead and forgo the degree, but i would think (more than) twice before going that route.

just my two cents...

Jiminy
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey mttjss,

Like you I am finishing school right now and decided to do AM at the same time this fall, and I think they complement eachother really well. Its great because you can still take advantage of all the drawing classes and workshops that a school has to offer, while getting super AM training at the same time. And if you are also taking animation classes at school you get to double your time animating, and become an animation SPONGE!

The finances are difficult to get around when you are already paying for school, but in the meantime you can do what I was doing for the past 6 months and check out all the Animation Mentee blogs and start doing the assignments they have posted on their sights and noticing what you like or dont like about others work and try to make your stuff better, for when you are able to join AM.

But as other people have said the most important advice they have given us this first week is to really observe the world around you and try to soak it all in and really experience the world and use this for inspiration in your drawings and animation. Hope this helps at all.

Jim

P.S. It is that good!

Jiminy
09-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I second what Kenshi said!

On the side of taking in theater, I wanted to mention Bay Area Theatre Sports to all of you Bay Area people. For those who have never been they do great Improv shows almost every night of the week over at Fort Mason Center. And they also offer Improv classes which are great for learning that kind of spontaneous acting and story ideas that we all need as animators. My wife has taken a bunch of classes over there and loved them and Im thinking about signing up myself to get the ideas flowing.

It would be fun to get a bunch of Bay Area animators together and take a class to hang out and do something fun together and get good ideas and better acting for all that reference footage. What ya think?

Jim

jschleifer
09-27-2005, 10:26 PM
It would be fun to get a bunch of Bay Area animators together and take a class to hang out and do something fun together and get good ideas and better acting for all that reference footage. What ya think?

Jim

that sounds like a blast!

bentllama
09-27-2005, 10:49 PM
damn you bay area heathens!

fine, I will just get billo and the small crew up here in seattle to join in on some acting sessions...screw you bay area nerds! :)

sternio
09-28-2005, 12:18 AM

Jim

I am down like a clown.

My Fault
09-28-2005, 12:57 AM
So which of the classes and when? I am a bit out there in Antioch but this sounds like it could be fun!

asimco
09-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks guys, i feel alot better, now. Ive been a little low on motivation lately but now i have some more drive, im goin gto animate right now!

kenshi
09-28-2005, 01:03 AM
There's an article in Daily Variety interviewing Bobby Beck, Jason Schleifer and yours truly. (http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=careers2005&content=jump&jump=movingUp&nav=movingUp&articleID=VR1117929618)

If you want to read the full interview with my un-edited responses, go to my blog: http://kenshianimation.blogspot.com/2005/09/variety-interview.html

Long live AM!!

bentllama
09-28-2005, 01:05 AM
seattle vs. bay area

it is time for an act off!
...ready your improv sun bunnies, we rain-hats are gunnin for you!
:twisted:

:) LOL

agreenster
09-28-2005, 01:34 AM
I am down like a clown.

I'm down like a clown with an upside-down frown all around town.

Im all outta nouns.

anthea
09-28-2005, 03:06 AM
i am so jealous of you bay area mentees, gosh getting to to an improv class w you would be so fun. i took classes at the Upright Citizens Brigade in NYC when I lived there and it was sooo fun. Now I am taking some acting classes, Rebecca is coming along w me tomorrow. But I miss improv and comedy.