PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Bentagon
03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm having trouble getting on his site for 2 days now. Yesterday I could access some pages, that my browser showed when typing www.bobbyboo.... but right now I can't access any of them. I figured the same thing: updating, but it's been a little while now. Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be back up again soon :)

- Benjamin

pongball
03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
For all info on pricing, pc requirements, etc, click on the PDF catalogue they have on their site.

Tuition (according to the PDF) comes out to $2000 per course or $13000-14k for the whole spiel. Yikes. That's 4 times what I pay in traditional school! I wish i could afford this, looks neat.

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 04:00 PM
For all info on pricing, pc requirements, etc, click on the PDF catalogue they have on their site.

Tuition (according to the PDF) comes out to $2000 per course or $13000-14k for the whole spiel. Yikes. That's 4 times what I pay in traditional school! I wish i could afford this, looks neat.

That's for the introductory price too. I'm betting this price will raise over a year or so!

hqgamer
03-21-2005, 05:02 PM
That's for the introductory price too. I'm betting this price will raise over a year or so!

that is what i am afraid :(
and that is bad for me cause i am not planning to enter this year
damn
hope they will wait 1-2 years :P

maelstrom
03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm having trouble getting on his site for 2 days now. Yesterday I could access some pages, that my browser showed when typing www.bobbyboo.... but right now I can't access any of them. I figured the same thing: updating, but it's been a little while now. Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be back up again soon :)

- Benjamin

maybe you exceeded the traffic quota of his webserver? :p

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
that is what i am afraid :(
and that is bad for me cause i am not planning to enter this year
damn
hope they will wait 1-2 years :P

If you check the catalogue Spring and Summer are priced at $13,105.00, then in fall it goes to $14,210.00, adding $200 for each class. I dunno why this is, but I'm guessing it will go up pretty soon. If you look at the likes of VFS which offer diplomas there tuition is $26,000.00 for a year (last time i looked anyways).

There again if it flunks (doubt it honestly), then I'm sure it will be cheap!
HAHA!!! :thumbsup:

vanlicht
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
hello guys, if you are to hold a pre-AMO webcam conference, remember to count me in. Looks like a great fun, though my work time have crunch hours all the time, but will manage to show up if possible.
I guess I could join even if UPS is still messing around with my package of the contracts eh?:D

akem
03-21-2005, 06:22 PM
The DAY has been changed to 28th :)
..and I for one am really grateful!

I have been tracking the package that I sent to AM via UPS since last Thursday. It included all my Registration Documents and Payment for the total amount by a Foreign Order (U.K equivalent of a Money Order) since I dont have a credit card.

I just checked again and it said it has been delivered at 9.53 am PST. Im quite relieved since I have been following this thread closely and know that Vyntax's posted on Friday that UPS lost his documents. By coincedence I remember saying to the UPS driver "I just wanna make sure they get there" when he commented on the "Effiecency" of my packaging.

I would advise anyone who is thinking of taking the course in the future to get yourself a credit card, even if you only use it once and so make the process of your payments much smoother. The bank I am with just didn't want to give me *MY* money. To cut a long story short, they made it much more difficult for me to make the payment than it would ever have been otherwise.

I just thought I would post this to make people aware of the extra complications involved If you are sending documents and making payments outside of the US.

Akem

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Well as an update, UPS 'found' my package, and it was delivered the same time as yours Akem!

Funnily enough, I sent more copies of my stuff out Friday just gone (after being told UPS had lost them) via FedEx. FedEx delivered this morning to AMO, a whole hour earlier than UPS, who had already screwed up.

So, my experience and words of wisdom to peeps sending their stuff to AMO, use FedEx. I don't think they were any more expensive, and the documents actually got there on time! :)

Oh yeah, how does Thursday sound for everyone wanting to test out their cameras and stuff?

Thursday @ 11.00pm (GMT)

If you guys could let me know ASAP then I can set this up. It's a blast as me and Clock found out! :D

textureyes
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
11 pm GMT Thursday is about 7 am Friday for me.. sounds good ill be there...
ill make sure im not in my jammies...
i need something to tide me over untill the first day arrives...

Bentagon
03-21-2005, 06:52 PM
That time looks good to me. Actually, it's perfect!

- Benjamin

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
WOOHOOOOO!!! JUST HAD THE CALL!!! I AM SO FIRED UP!!! :bounce:

Ok, room is in testing for Thursday, but the chat area is up and running if you would like to check it out!!! Click the pic! :D

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2sm.jpg (http://breeze37045431.p51.breezecentral.com/r87282660/)

swadepgh
03-21-2005, 07:14 PM
THat is 4pm for me so I will still be stuck at the office. If you are all still around after midnight GMT I will pop in to say hello. :)

AjaBogdanoff
03-21-2005, 07:25 PM
11pm GMT is 6pm in New York (EST), right? Too bad I don't have a camera yet, that's a perfect time for me!

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks for helping out with the testing Benjamin! :thumbsup:

Bentagon
03-21-2005, 07:34 PM
My pleasure! Sorry I had to quit so soon and sudden, but my brother was complaining about his ping :D

- Benjamin

Rikki
03-21-2005, 09:45 PM
My documents still haven't been delivered >_> It's been a week now, they've been sitting in CA since wednesday afternoon.

- A not very impressed moi.

trydberg
03-21-2005, 11:52 PM
I'd like to participate in the webcam video chat, but I won't get home from my job until one half hour later. Perhaps if it's still going, I could join in then.

- Tom

Kimotion
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
WOOHOOOOO!!! JUST HAD THE CALL!!! I AM SO FIRED UP!!! :bounce:

Is their are code 707? I got something on my cell late morning but I couldn't check it since I was in the middle of getting a haircut.

Haven't received my ID yet but am confident it will eventually come.

And I've never done a web-cam conference thingy before and don't know how to meet you guys online. I guess I'll just wait til AM begins and they'll let us know how.

clockwerkz
03-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Thursday is cool with me. I'm also EST, so it'll be 6:00 PM for me. Vyn and I had fun last night. He's a very talented artist. Showed me a few tricks in photoshop! We also found out we had the same taste in toys. Namely Pixar toys! Hehehehe.

cW

PixelTales
03-22-2005, 01:00 AM
I would be interested in giving it a try too. It will be around 4pm my time which is a little before I get off work. I'll have to see if I can get off a little early this Thursday or maybe I'll just be a little late. If so hopefully you guy's will still be chatting. :)

Just curious, how and where were you guy's thinking of setting this up? I'm not quite sure how this sort of thing works, since I only just bought my webcam for AM. I haven't done any video chat before. Is this something I'm going to need to register for?

darkefire
03-22-2005, 03:38 AM
Dude, your website and the illustrations on it are off the hook... (even though it keeps asking me to install the Japenese language pack, Lol). I imagine we can expect a certain melancholy in the work you produce at AM. Being able to express some of that same mood in your animations would be really interesting to see.

Akem

woah. i thank you for the mad props. yes, the one advantage i have is a firm grasp of the illustrated figure, and sketching in general. i did a good 400 storyboards for a friend's short film, so experience there, too. one thing i can say, it did a %^&# MIRACLE for my character's expressions of emotion. so anyone that tells you "draw everyday. draw a hundred times a day. you will get better." is dead on.

as much as i love the happy-go-lucky style of our beloved grandmaster ninjas at Pixar, PDI, Bluesky, etc, i hope to bring back the darker sense of reality to animation. Like the work of Adam Jones (Tool videos), or Tim Burton. Not dark and disturbing just to be disturbing, but to show the hidden beauty of dark things. WHO'S WITH ME??? :applause:

heathenPagan
03-22-2005, 04:04 AM
Hey,

Best of luck to all at AM and all students starting this first term. Can't wait to hear about and see some results.....

Darkefire, I totally agree with your opinion on the darker side of art/animation. I, too, love Tim Burtons and (especially)Adam Jones' work and would love to see some beautifully dark stuff pouring out of this community. Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb was another nice dark piece...

Cheers,

bentllama
03-22-2005, 04:17 AM
re: dark atmosphere

...there is being dark just to be artsy fartsy and then there is being dark because it is an atmosphere that helps the story... me, I would choose the latter of the two...

before deciding on a dark atmosphere you need to ask yourself whether the story is enhanced by the dark atmosphere or whether it could be the same engaging story without the dark atmosphere...

too often we are caught up in the notion that just because something is sunny and bright on the outside, it cannot be introspective enough...

just my opinion... :shrug:

AZL42
03-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Hey guys,
Some of us have started blogs on AM. The links to some of them are below. We're looking for someone who knows how to set up a webring.

David Sloss http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog (http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog)
Matt Kelly http://www.sabudesign.com/mostlycloudy/mc/blog/matt_kelly_animation.html
Stu Jones http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/home.htm
Lee Fieldhouse http://www.leighfieldhouse.blogspot.com/
Jason Schleifer http://jonhandhisdog.com/shh-life-er/ (http://jonhandhisdog.com/shh-life-er/)
Jimmy Lyons http://www.freewebs.com/jimmyanimation/amdiary.htm
Matt Morris http://www.mattmos.com/news.html
Adam Levin http://www.zevfilms.com/index.html (mine)

Let me know if you have one that's not on this list,

Thanks,
Adam

jschleifer
03-22-2005, 04:38 AM
welp, you can do this easily on http://www.webring.com

in fact.. I just created one so we can see if it works. :)

sign in to webrings & then search for Animation Mentor and see if you can find it!

-jason

AZL42
03-22-2005, 04:53 AM
Hey Jason,

That link isn't working for me...don't know if its just down or something. I searched on webring (singular) .com but didn't find anything.

-Adam

jschleifer
03-22-2005, 04:54 AM
d'oh! yah, it's http://www.webring.com

just changed it. :) if that doesn't work, try:
http://dir.webring.com/rw

andy_maxman
03-22-2005, 04:58 AM
hi jason,
did a search for Animation Mentor and could not find any related links....or is it just me.

jschleifer
03-22-2005, 05:01 AM
jeezus.. I hope i can mentor better than I can set this thing up. :)

go to my site: http://jonhandhisdog.com/shh-life-er

then scroll aaaaaaaaaaaaaalll the way down to the bottom.

You'llsee the webring down at the bottom.

click on "Join Now"

that'll do it. :)

AZL42
03-22-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey Jason,

Thanks for setting that up for us!
Don't worry, I know you'll be a kick butt mentor. You've already helped me a good deal.

Blogs, Plogs, Wikis, Webrings...I feel so tech. Although, I kind of with we people could just say come, lets get coffee and talk.
-Adam

heathenPagan
03-22-2005, 05:19 AM
Hey bentllama,

I totally agree, all good points, for sure.
I don't mean to say everything should have a dark aesthetic, it just really appeals to me personally and it's stuff that I love to see.

SheepFactory
03-22-2005, 07:25 AM
I couldnt manage to log in Jason :(

It was asking all these things like "you have to put a banner to your site if you get accepted" etc , than i filled it all out and nothing happened.

textureyes
03-22-2005, 07:40 AM
welcome to BlogimationMentor....
where for a small donation of around $2000 dollers (to Animation Mentor) you can get free updates on your own blog, and how to flog your blog... or you can blog about your dog (and Jonh).

I too have created a blog... but havent thought of anything good to write. im sure when i do it will boggle you with my blog...

we better get this ring sorted out otherwise we will have a back log in our blogs...

(sorry, deadline sleep deprovation rant)
me like blog

AZL42
03-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I think Jason has to accept you into the blog, and he's probably sleeping now, so if that's the case you might have to wait till tomorow.

Yes, sign me up, I want to know how to flog my blog!

3FnD
03-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey all you AM students... can some of you post stills from your webcams? I'm trying to decide what to get and from what I have read many of the under $40 US ones don't do very good pictures. Curious to see how much difference there is with different models/prices.

thanks

AKS
03-22-2005, 09:41 AM
If I can get my webcam working by Thursday I'll definately be there for the chat experiment. I have never used one of these before so I'm curious to see how well it all works.

stewartjones
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Is their are code 707? I got something on my cell late morning but I couldn't check it since I was in the middle of getting a haircut.

Yup, that would be their code dude!

Jason, cool idea about the blogs, I just signed up!.. Might need to sort out my website with all these extra things on it now! hehe :thumbsup:

As for the webcams scroll back a few pages and click the image I posted, it's OK if u don't know how to set up the webcams on that thing, we will sort it out on Thursday! :)

stewartjones
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Hey all you AM students... can some of you post stills from your webcams? I'm trying to decide what to get and from what I have read many of the under $40 US ones don't do very good pictures. Curious to see how much difference there is with different models/prices.

thanks

The Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 gives awesome quality. Clock showed me it and it was superb, so I went for that one!

Edit: sorry for double posting :rolleyes:

darkefire
03-22-2005, 01:25 PM
yeah, i admit: things dont have to be spooky looking to be meloncholie, and things dont have to be bright and shiny to have a sense of humor about them, either. if the character and set design doesnt drive the story or mood of the story, then its essentially useless. but it can sure look cool! :thumbsup:

im never one to get TOO serious about art. my horribly analytical sense of humor smacks me in the head everytime i'm about to get too pretentious. its this kind of set of checks and balances that i think everyone could benefit from. to be able to take a step back from what you're doing and just go: WTF??

mmkelly011881
03-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Web Cam Shipped!

supergrover
03-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Anyone else out there notice that the Eirc Goldberg video sample is out of synch? Is this just my machine or is that the standard of the videos? It's fine for a talking head but if they're showing animation with sound it could get frustrating.

mmkelly011881
03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
it was fine when i watched it from home

Bentagon
03-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Maybe one or two frames, but it's hardly noticeable. I didn't notice it the other 36 times I watched it...
- Benjamin

3FnD
03-22-2005, 04:14 PM
The Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 gives awesome quality. Clock showed me it and it was superb, so I went for that one!

Edit: sorry for double posting :rolleyes:

Still would be very helpful to see the differences between cam pictures. I'm auditioning a QuickCam IM and if the picture is SIGNIFICANTLY better with the 4000 I would consider the extra bucks (since I already got this one hooked up).

no way to tell how much better without seeing.

here's the pic from the cam I'm trying out. As you can see by my expression, I'm not thrilled with the quality (plus it was like 4am or something).

3FnD
03-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Anyone else out there notice that the Eirc Goldberg video sample is out of synch?

I'm getting dead sync from here, so I don't think it's the vids. What speed are you all connecting?

textureyes
03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
As you can see by my expression, I'm not thrilled with the quality (plus it was like 4am or something).

Hey 3FnD
I know what you mean about qual. Mine is as cheap as you can get.. and the qual is around like the pic you show. But what i do know is that all webcams need BRIGHT light. I use a big lamp on the desk (pointed at the wall) in front of me.
This will always improve the qual a lot.
I got a good stills camera which i have never matched in terms of webcams. I just have to see if it will work with the AM interface.

3FnD
03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
yeah, it would be way better if there's a way to use the regular still cam I already have! It has USB, it can do live video output, now if there's a way to get it to work with chat...you might be on to something.

I'm gonna start searching...meanwhile, if anyone's done this please let us all know!

thanks!

mmkelly011881
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
3FnD

are you lighting yourself with an aquarium light or did the camera make it purple?

now to set up some bounce plates and light filters to keep myself from looking transparent... (or i guess i could get some sun)

supergrover
03-22-2005, 07:46 PM
OK - I'm signed up and I'm excited. BUT - the small print in the registration seems to suggest that if I create an original character ( say for the short film ) that AM have the rights to that character! I hope I'm reading this wrong - if it's true it's going to have the following effect...

The characters submitted for the short film project will be second rate as people aren't going to submit their best designs to AM if they then cede all rights to them.

Please if anyone is out there who speaks legalese - preferably one of the administrators - could you set me straight on this one - Will AM own the characters I create for my short? If they do I think I'll make that short I've always wanted to do about 2 flecks of dust.

If this is true I'm still signed up - I want the training - but there's no way I'm parting with my best character designs - no way!

stewartjones
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
OK - I'm signed up and I'm excited. BUT - the small print in the registration seems to suggest that if I create an original character ( say for the short film ) that AM have the rights to that character! I hope I'm reading this wrong - if it's true it's going to have the following effect...

The characters submitted for the short film project will be second rate as people aren't going to submit their best designs to AM if they then cede all rights to them.

Please if anyone is out there who speaks legalese - preferably one of the administrators - could you set me straight on this one - Will AM own the characters I create for my short? If they do I think I'll make that short I've always wanted to do about 2 flecks of dust.

If this is true I'm still signed up - I want the training - but there's no way I'm parting with my best character designs - no way!

I am guessing that this will work like VFS. They take your stuff so that they can promote. Just means that on you demo reel you will have something like-

An AnimationMentor.com film, by YOURNAMEHERE!

I could be wrong of course! :shrug:

3FnD
03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
3FnD

are you lighting yourself with an aquarium light or did the camera make it purple?
haha...no, that's the camera. The light in this room was computer screen, flo and tungsten, bad combo, but I had to turn everything on to get enough light. I tried adjusting the white balance and hue because it was originally brownish-green...personally I'd rather be purple than that color. But this is the best I could get with this lighting.

I could just go b+w, that seems to look cleaner.

k

clockwerkz
03-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Here's a snapshot of me at 320x240. I have the Logitech Quickcam 4000. So far the video has been really good. Sound, I've heard, isn't too bad, but I may be going with a headset. I'm waiting on Thursday's little jam session to see how good it is before I go out and get a headset.

cW

AjaBogdanoff
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Heh, this is a 352x288 still from my "web cam (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/255811.jpg)".... too bad I won't be able to keep it! :scream:

3FnD
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
OK - I'm signed up and I'm excited. BUT - the small print in the registration seems to suggest that if I create an original character ( say for the short film ) that AM have the rights to that character!
Not that I'm a legal expert, but it does appear the site agreement gives students zero rights to AM intellectual property and grants AM full rights to anything students post. It's only right that we don't obtain license to use any am content. Also I don't think am has any reason to "steal" our characters, stories or any other ideas we post...but it does seem we grant am unlimited license to use anything we post for any purpose.:eek:

clock: that's cool you got a lot of light?
aja: that's cheating! yeah, too bad you can't keep it is right!

AjaBogdanoff
03-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh, psssh.... you spend $14k on tuition, what's another 3? :thumbsup:

Bentagon
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
This is me... twice right now... same lighting but one 320*240, one 640*480... strange how contrast etc differs so much... the other one is the one I took for my avatar, in daylight.

Creative Live!

I was gonna post a pic in my normal state, but unfortunaltely it was too big to upload :D

- Benjamin

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, just got my ID and tried to register for classes...i type my ID, click the GO button and nothing happens :twisted: Please Help me /!!

Bentagon
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Others have had the same problem. But methinks, and otherthinks too, that you're just not allowed to go in until the 28th...

- Benjamin

SheepFactory
03-22-2005, 08:56 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

just got the call from Kelly , I am all set!

bring on monday :D

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Others have had the same problem. But methinks, and otherthinks too, that you're just not allowed to go in until the 28th...

- Benjamin

Even just to register for the classes ?? some said that we re not allowed to log into the website, but theyr can create their account. For my case, i cant even register for classes

stewartjones
03-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Even just to register for the classes ?? some said that we re not allowed to log into the website, but theyr can create their account. For my case, i cant even register for classes

Click the link from your email, put all your details in, and then thats it mate!

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Click the link from your email, put all your details in, and then thats it mate!

I think my ID is bad because even this link doesnt working..

stewartjones
03-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Ah crap!:eek:

I would give AM a call and see what they can do for ya m8.

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
I've already send some emails to the team..may be they re on lunch break or something and come back soon...:)

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Am I the only one with this kind of ID trouble ??

jono338
03-22-2005, 09:16 PM
OK Aja B *definitely* wins the Web cam photo contest, not only for being able to manage how to work out how to focus her web cam, but by demonstrating the ancient Ninja art of, well, smiling!

Oh, my, what a LARGE web cam you have, Aja. How do you attach that to your monitor?

Marty15
03-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I just got my ID and i have the same problem :sad:

And i was just about to Celebrate! Must be a problem with the site, let me know what they say mate :)

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I just got my ID and i have the same problem :sad:

And i was just about to Celebrate! Must be a problem with the site, let me know what they say mate :)

Dont worry :) always keep posting :) but really weird because maelstrom did the same thing at the same time, and it worked... he was on Opera

Marty15
03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Weird! I'm using Firefox so i wouldn't have thought it would be a problem with the Browser.

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Weird! I'm using Firefox so i wouldn't have thought it would be a problem with the Browser.

I think its about wrong ID...i tried in firefox and Opera.. and nothing yet :sad:

AjaBogdanoff
03-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Who wouldn't smile, with one of those babies on her desk? :)

How do you attach that to your monitor?

Three and a half words: Pile of phone books. :thumbsup:

super_mouse
03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Make sure you have no firewalls on, then copy and paste the link instead of trying to click on it.

I couldn't click my link so i just copy and pasted it and it worked fine.

So I'm all sorted :)

monstersauce
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Am I the only one with this kind of ID trouble ??

I had the same kind of trouble but I messed with substituting "zero's" for what I had thought were "oh's"... they look the same, but they are different :p
also, I had a "1" that I had thought was "I"

try messing with variations like that
hope it helps!

Marty15
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Try again Modus, it's working for me now!

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Try again Modus, it's working for me now!

it still not working !! i copied the link int my browser, copy/paste the ID to be sure of the letters/numbers... and still not working

Marty15
03-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Damn! I hope it works for you soon.

3FnD
03-22-2005, 10:00 PM
OK Aja B *definitely* wins the Web cam photo contest
Like I said, Cheating!:) She also has the best lighting so far, it's like a freakin' video set in there!

Thanks for all the cam-posts so far (not compost, which is something entirely different, hehe).

Maybe I'll smile for the next one.

How'z everone's audio going? I'm using a separate mic and the sound seems okay except for a lot of digital noise which I can't figure out. Haven't tried the headset mic that came with the QC IM, don't know if it's the mic or something else.

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Damn! I hope it works for you soon.

Hey Marty was it fast when u click the go button to have the transition screen ? or some minutes ?

AjaBogdanoff
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
She also has the best lighting so far, it's like a freakin' video set in there!

Lol, did I mention I was a Film major? I'd be in trouble if I didn't know a little something about lighting!

Of course, I ended up putting a hot lamp about a foot away from my head, so next time I'll probably be wearing sunglasses! :cool:

Tim_T
03-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone. I just finished my registration on the AM site and got the news of my acceptance last week. I look forward to meeting and working with all you in the coming months!! This thread has been awesome to read through and if everyone brings even half the energy I'm feeling in here to AMO it's gonna be a "Incredible" experience !! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

So any other Canadians going to be there?? :D

Rabid pitbull
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM

I actually saw this early and found it a bit disturbing too. I actually called and talked with Bobby, and he told me the intent was not to take anyones work. Basically it is to grant them use in promotional material. He also said that he has red flagged this part of the agreement to be adjusted by the lawyers. I feel that it sure does make you want to hold back any special characters....

philippeduvin
03-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Im done !! i had to install a software firewall because my hardware firewall ( router ) blocked the access to the registering !! youhou !!! im so excited... can go to sleep peacefully ..

see yall mates.. :bounce: :bounce:

3FnD
03-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Basically it is to grant them use in promotional material. He also said that he has red flagged this part of the agreement to be adjusted by the lawyers. I feel that it sure does make you want to hold back any special characters....
yeah, see. Though I wasn't happy with the wording, I really wouldn't expect it to be a problem. We all had to agree to sign up but hopefully that can be amended with just the rights necessary for their promo purposes...I mean, I for one sure would love them to use my work to promote the school, which would mean I'd have to have done something that kicks a. Something like that can only benefit us as well. So we all better do some good stuff so they have great marketing material (on top of the already super stuff they have now...it got us to sign up didn't it?!!)

Glad you talked to them about it since it concerns us all, thanks.

Jeremy Hopkins
03-22-2005, 11:59 PM
I can understand how you guys feel about stuff like this but don't sweat it. I mean most people end up using their student film to get a job and then forget it. Of course there's exceptions to every rule but most of people I've met who had several years of experience would cry if watched their student film again. Reason being that we're pushing our work on a daily basis. Our best work 3 years ago might not be our best work today.
That said, I really believe AM will be different and that student work will feel professional(especially since there's some pro students :P).

Hey Tim_T I'm Canadian.

mattmos
03-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey guys,
Some of us have started blogs on AM. The links to some of them are below. We're looking for someone who knows how to set up a webring.

David Sloss (http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog)http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog
Matt Kelly http://www.sabudesign.com/mostlycloudy/mc/blog/matt_kelly_animation.html
Jason Schleifer http://jonhandhisdog.com/shh-life-er/ (http://jonhandhisdog.com/shh-life-er/)
Matt Moriss http://www.mattmos.com/news.html

Thanks,
Adam

And there I was thinking that I was fooling people into thinking it was a news page. Just updated regularly. And not always relevent content. Darn it ;) Well I have to admit it's defo turned into a blog, don't suppose you could change my surname though - its morris, not moriss - ta very much!

Off work this week so not around as much as I'd like to be, still trying to get broadband sorted at home, it's a living nightmare... Would love to be joining you guys in a webcam test but will have to sit this one out - see y'all for first day of class though, can't wait!

clockwerkz
03-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Regarding this whole "character rights" issue. In most of our cases, the point is moot anyways. If you created and animated the character using an educational version of a software like Maya, you're going to be limited in what you can and can't do (i.e. sell your piece or whatever).
I guess I'm not following this correctly...what are you all planning to do with these short films other than show them off, maybe enter them into some film festivals, and/or ultimately use them for a demo reel?

cW

Rabid pitbull
03-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Regarding this whole "character rights" issue. In most of our cases, the point is moot anyways. If you created and animated the character using an educational version of a software like Maya, you're going to be limited in what you can and can't do (i.e. sell your piece or whatever).
I guess I'm not following this correctly...what are you all planning to do with these short films other than show them off, maybe enter them into some film festivals, and/or ultimately use them for a demo reel?

cW

Well in my case I have several character that I have been working on for a couple of years. I haven't done any animation though. I in fact would like to do the final project using them, in a full version of xsi that I own already. Now for the crazy part, I did not join AM so I could land a job in a big studio, but in fact so I can take my own personal work to the next level. I don't really know or particularly care where it will lead me, just saw AM as the best way for me to get my characters to be the best that they could be.

So you can see why I felt it necessary to call about this little clause in the agreement. I felt very good after talking to Bobby. He reassured me that the wording will be redone in the future, and that it was not anything to worry about.

So don't sweat it everyone do your best, and don't hold any characters back!

-James

AZL42
03-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Well I have to admit it's defo turned into a blog, don't suppose you could change my surname though - its morris, not moriss - ta very much!

Hey Matt,

Sorry about that...donno how it happened...thought I coppied and pasted the names.

Talking about blogs, I've been updating mine... (http://www.zevfilms.com)I'd love some feedback from anyone.

Thanks,

Adam

clockwerkz
03-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I re-read the whole thing and realized now what the issue is.. you develop the best character you can (or in your case, a character that's a WIP for several years now), and by using the char in the program, you'll be signing them over to AM.
Good thing they plan on clearing that up in the future. If not, I personally can live with that. My goal with the short film I intend to do for AM is to submit it to any film/animation festivals. There are usually dozens of them around. I don't think that the legalities, as they are currently written, would deny me that. I would probably have to request "permission" from the school. At the school I was at last year, there was also a silimar situation. But that was because as a student, we were working on their machines with their Maya licenses. So our work was property of the school. However, naturally, submission of our projects to festivals was not only allowed, but highly encouraged.

cW

3FnD
03-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Well said, Rabid p. I have characters that I've created that are original, intellectual properties that lose potential future value if I grant unlimited rights to anyone else. And clock, we're not talking about characters created in "software X", the software is irrelevant...it's the character design itself that matters, not the 3D model (although that, too, would be protected under copyright law).

Also, I'm not thinking about our assignments so much as other personal work we might want to get feedback on, since there is a specific place for that in the student area. Artist should never give up all rights to their work unless duly compensated. You never know when something you've made might turn out to be gold some day.

AM needs to have limited rights, so they know they're legally free to use our stuff to promote the school. That makes sense and is totally reasonable. But they don't need unlimited, perpetual rights of reproduction in any current or future medium! Again, I'm not too concerned with AM using our work for any other kind of profit--completely free from obligation to pay whoever created the work--because I believe they are people of high ethics. But it would still be better to have the agreement worded for just the specific rights am really wants/needs.

And you're correct, the agreement as is would not deny us the chance to do whatever we want with our own work, at least that I can tell.

Will any of us make anything that would be worth owning all rights to? Let's freakin' hope so!

Kimotion
03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Here's a snapshot of me at 320x240. I have the Logitech Quickcam 4000. So far the video has been really good. Sound, I've heard, isn't too bad, but I may be going with a headset. I'm waiting on Thursday's little jam session to see how good it is before I go out and get a headset.

cW

I have LogiTech QuickCam Notebooks Pro. It perches like a little black bird on top of my laptop. However it can tilt and move easily, especially if I'm in a San Francisco earthquake.

Jeremy Hopkins
03-23-2005, 01:59 AM
Now for the crazy part, I did not join AM so I could land a job in a big studio, but in fact so I can take my own personal work to the next level.

Honestly it's not that crazy. I'm doing the same thing. Not only is it about taking personal work to next level but I really want to support what AM is about. Having an international community of animators is something that's never been done before. Judging from the responses here, it seems like there's a great group of people who're really passionate about animation. Nothing can beat that energy. Plus it's icing on the cake to hear from AM employees who love their job. Bobby, Shawn and Carlos really deserve a big thanks for pulling this all together.

Kimotion
03-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Hey guys,

David Sloss http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog
Matt Morris http://www.mattmos.com/news.html

Thanks,
Adam

Ya know, I've always thought about starting a blog for a couple of years now. The reason why I didn't was because I already wrote in a journal on my pc (yeah kinda like what Doogie Howser did....anyone old enough to remember that show?). However, my pc would crash or catch some sort of virus and year of entries would get completely wiped out! This happened TWICE and Kimotion never learns from his mistakes.

Also, I felt selfish since I'm not sharing with the rest of the world. Thats why I stopped abuot a year ago.

Now how can blogging apply to animation? I've been reading blogs around xanga and friendster and noticed that blogging can really hone in on your observational skills, whether you realize it or not.

For example, I read something about how one guy was just observing how people hold their umbrellas, when the wind blows and makes the umbrella "flip" people act really funny. He said that almost always, the first thing ther person does is look around to see if anyone was watching his/her umbrella flipping inside out in the wind. People are so self-conscious.

And this guy also noticed how it's always the really tiny people who carry those really obnoxiously huge umbrellas.

So I think that writing about your experiences actually motivates you to observe more. If you saw something funny, then you'd think "Oh I gotta write this down on my xanga..." There is so much that goes on in the day, and if you can't sketch it, then write it out! Writing leads to inner self-evaluation, and you always feel purged afterwards. And you realize that you are not as boring as you think you are.

I gotta start mine. It's funny how talking on this animationmentor forum actually jumpstarted my love for writing again.

andy_maxman
03-23-2005, 04:01 AM
Having an international community of animators is something that's never been done before.

and that imho is a very very and one more 'very' big achievement. it is almost unimaginable. and in five days it's going to be a reality.

nice to see those pictures from the webcam.

hey hidenfreak,
havent completed the new one yet? ;-) And man, your 'lighting setup' strip is all so relevant now.

And haven't seen Jozvex around too for some time now. what gives, mate? a pre-vacation or something or your just sharpening the axe ;-)
i still freak on that funny little conversation you came up with between the two mentors. hehe!

so for guys who are working/doing something else full-time how do you plan to schedule a week's assignment? keeping in mind it's gonna be this way for a good whole year and plus.
cheers!
;-)andy

textureyes
03-23-2005, 04:21 AM
im not sure how im going to manage it.
I lead on the projects i do in my job. So i got the be the last one to leave the office.
Dont get home till 9 at the earliest. 1am sometimes.
The bonus being i get short breaks between contracts to research my own skills. Thats when i will have to concerntrate on AM.
The only thing i know is that i will not stop animating. I have a drive that will push me to improve.
If its cute bouncy characters... dark mysterious characters... i want to improve my acting ability and my story telling skills.
The late nights will pay off in the end.

Kimotion
03-23-2005, 04:34 AM
It is really hard to do animation stuff while keeping your day job. I'm an office temp, so there are times when I don't work. But when I do, it's mostly sitting in front of the computer, looking at Word, Excel spreadsheets, and Access databases.

And at night during class, I look at the computer screen for 3 hours looking at CG.

And on the nights when I need to do homework and another indie project I'm involved in...well you know...it's the computer screen!

And soon there will be animtionmentor.

You just gotta convince yourself that you can manage. I will be in school until May so it will be hell.

But I want to be an animator and it will be worth it. You just have to keep convincing yourself. Even fool yourself.

When I tell people I'm studying animation, their eyes always widen and they are interested (many times in envy). Each time that happens, I know it will all be worth it.

agreenster
03-23-2005, 05:12 AM
Let me tell ya, it doesnt get any easier once you BECOME a professional animator either! I'm up at 7, in the studio by 9, out anywhere between 7-9, go home (45-1hr commute via walking+train+bicycle), eat supper with my wife, do some more work (short film or more work-animation or storyboarding for my short film) and in bed by 1am. Good thing I have my bike to keep me in shape or I'd be fat sitting in front of the computer all day!

That's probably the biggest reason I'm not doing animationmentor this semester--too busy--but you'd better believe Ill be looking over my co-worker Jeff Coop's shoulder while he goes through the course!

You just have to have passion for this stuff, or you'll get burnt really fast.

Or just be insane :bounce:

bentllama
03-23-2005, 05:15 AM
really busy?

tell me about it.

leading the way for animation on next gen consoles is no picnic, let alone having the pressure on from your last game being a phenominal success.

i will find the time. love wins in the end. ;)

andy_maxman
03-23-2005, 05:19 AM
like bobby said in his interview,
The biggest piece of information I could give anyone is......Balance

woah! all of 7 letters and our life revolves around it. how deeper could it get?!

andy_maxman
03-23-2005, 05:22 AM
really busy?

tell me about it.

leading the way for animation on next gen consoles is no picnic, let alone having the pressure on from your last game being a phenominal success.

i will find the time. love wins in the end. ;)

yea mate! and you did be lucky if one came out alive in the end....;-)
i'm seriously lookingUp to you mate. :thumbsup:

Jozvex
03-23-2005, 05:53 AM
And haven't seen Jozvex around too for some time now. what gives, mate? a pre-vacation or something or your just sharpening the axe ;-)
i still freak on that funny little conversation you came up with between the two mentors. hehe!

Don't you worry I'm still here!! I got my detail-requesty email today so I should get my student ID soon I hope! Buying my webcam has turned into potentially large problems.....ie my order has been pending for two weeks and they aren't replying to emails....BUT never fear! I'll figure someway to thwart any evil plans they have. Even if I just yell THWART!! at them until they do the right thing. I've edited my post way back where I listed the store I was buying from, to not include that store.

Not long now guys!!!

Kimotion
03-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Hehehe....

Jozvex, your signature always cracks me up whenever I see it.

jono338
03-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Hey Jozvex,

I had similar problems. There must quite a rush on Web cams. Any site with a decent price didn't have stock. The site I ordered mine from, after ringing up to check if they had stock and the guy said, "No, but we usually get stock in 2 to 3 days", so I ordered, and then they tell me they won't get stock to the end of April. I don't think so. I cancelled the order and grabbed one off EBay. It's supposed to be shipping now, so hopefully I won't have to join you shouting THWART at all and sundry!

Cheers.

Jozvex
03-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Jozvex, your signature always cracks me up whenever I see it.

Hehe, I can certainly understand people thinking that I'm female because I have a female avatar, but some people add me to their ICQ/MSN/AIM/YAHOO lists just so they can chat me up!! Sorry mister, big shock for you but......I"M A MAAAAAN! Haha. Two people have also literally thought that I was Sarah Michelle Gellar!

Hey, I don't really mind all the misguided attention, but at least now I have a disclaimer so they can't act too surprised.

:scream:

coop
03-23-2005, 06:32 AM
look over my shoulder?

no prob, but the price is you get to set up the next rigging pipeline!

Im2Dguy
03-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Hey.

Webcams up,
and I'm logged in.
Still working on my site and blog.
It's coming though.

This is too exciting!!

this is a 160x120 image from the
cheap Logitck web messenger.
20$ fine by me..

-BradB

mikep1980
03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
If you have an LCD screen or laptop, I'd suggest the Creative Webcam NX Ultra. It clips on the top of the monitor or stands up on its own.

I think the the picture quality is pretty good, especially with outdoor light. A few of you have said this, and I fully agree...have enough light! Shine a light onto the wall in front of you or something. Makes a huge difference!

Rikki
03-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Just in case some people aren't aware, you can use a digital camcorder as a webcam, and probably get much better quality too.

If I can't get my iSight working through Remote Desktop Connection on Mac, I'll use my digicam.

Makomako
03-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Damn! i still have no news from AM, no phone call and so no student ID! I'm going insane!!!
I'll send them a mail...

textureyes
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
id phone them if i were you... its easy to answer an email later... but the phone just keeps ringing.

Makomako
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Well, from Paris.. a mail is cheaper lol....

clockwerkz
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
And clock, we're not talking about characters created in "software X", the software is irrelevant...it's the character design itself that matters, not the 3D model (although that, too, would be protected under copyright law).

Software x is irrelevant as far as characters and concepts are concerned, but it is relevant when you model, rig and animate them. :)

Reference the time constraint issue: I have a full time job that is pretty demanding on me, and I have a 3 1/2 month who is even MORE demanding. Hehehe. But the key is balance. Balance and good time management skills.
First thing's first with me.. goodbye World of Warcraft. I cannot concievably play a second of that game anymore while involved with this program. I've played video games since I was little, and love them..but to me, they're what gambling is to a gambling addict. Hehehe.
Second, I'm setting up a solid schedule. Although my job is demanding, it's very much a solid schedule. So I've worked out a good schedule where I can close the door to my office and focus on AM throughout the week. I need to give a lot of time to this, too. Seeing that I'll have lead animators from one of the biggest names in games right now as colleagues will definitely motivate me to church out my absolute best! lol.. Regardless of who we're with, obviously we should all crank out 120% of ourselves. :)

cW

3FnD
03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
so for guys who are working/doing something else full-time how do you plan to schedule a week's assignment?

yeah, didn't Bobby B say he worked 2 full-time jobs while going to school full-time. Of course, he seems to have more nrg than most people. If you can get by on little or no sleep I guess you're okay. Everyone remember our F5-athon on open enrollment day? We just had to stick it out, which was probably good practice for future jobs where you end up staying awake long hours as a deadline approaches. You've gotta get good at time-management, and for some of us, know when to say no to some things...have priorities and maybe something has to get dropped. At least that's what I'm gonna do, if time gets too scarce.

Is it correct that there is only 1 assignment per week? Hopefully we'll be able to finish those without much trouble, but you add in class time and anything else related to school and it could, well, add up.

Key I think is boundless nrg even with little sleep, and creative time-management. Oh, and you gotta squeeze in at least some rest so you don't get burned out.

Software x is irrelevant as far as characters and concepts are concerned, but it is relevant when you model, rig and animate them. :)
oh, absolutely, didn't intend to infer otherwise.:)

btw, thanks for all the webcam sample pix, keep 'em comin'!

supergrover
03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I could be wrong here but I think the less said about the F5 marathon the better. I mean it was utterly pointless wasn't it. There were less than 300 applications on the first day so as long as you applied within 24hours of registration being available you were probably OK.

textureyes
03-23-2005, 01:16 PM
but surly it was the blind enthusiasm that counts. "must get in first. cos i HAVE to be a good animator"
its the taking part that counts....
anyway i think i still blindy think it was all worth setting my speakers on full volume to tell me any new emails and putting them by my pillow (for months on end).... just to make sure i could woudnt miss out....

Rabid pitbull
03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Hehehehe, yes all the enthusiasm of the night was definitly worth the marathon. It was like X-mas eve at five years old again. Very good experience for me. All of this waiting and anticipating has made the fact that we got in all the more valuable. Monday starts a new chapter for me, I cannot wait!:bounce:

clockwerkz
03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes well, hindsight is also 20/20. After that day, we discovered that there was a total of 280 applicants. What if there had been more? Then that enthusiasm would have spoke volumes.

stewartjones
03-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Woohoo!!!

My webcam just came! Thought I would post a mug shot too>>>

... I could have picked a better expression... Goin for the Shrek look... HAHA!!!

AjaBogdanoff
03-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Okay, so I can't keep the Canon (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/255811.jpg) for a webcam, but I did manage to liberate a little Sony (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000093UU4.01.PT04._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg) that has a broken tape mechanism!

Here's a comparison of the two.... first the high-end Canon, then the lower-end Sony miniDV cam, both with identical lighting setups.

elvis75k
03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Hehe, I can certainly understand people thinking that I'm female because I have a female avatar, but some people add me to their ICQ/MSN/AIM/YAHOO lists just so they can chat me up!! Sorry mister, big shock for you but......I"M A MAAAAAN! Haha. Two people have also literally thought that I was Sarah Michelle Gellar!

Hey, I don't really mind all the misguided attention, but at least now I have a disclaimer so they can't act too surprised.

:scream:

You must be in love with your avatar.. It's been a year and half i always look at you (MAN)
I felt in the same issue there .. but i'm a witch (or the pumpkin?)

mgarward
03-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Here's a comparison of the two.... first the high-end Canon, then the lower-end Sony miniDV cam, both with identical lighting setups.
I like the way your smile is in direct proportion to the image quality.:)

I'm avoiding putting up my webcam picture... the forums would crack.

SheepFactory
03-23-2005, 03:42 PM
You dont look as happy with the sony Aja :D

AjaBogdanoff
03-23-2005, 03:57 PM
No? I'd say I look cautiously optimistic. ;)

mindspin00
03-23-2005, 04:15 PM
so for guys who are working/doing something else full-time how do you plan to schedule a week's assignment? keeping in mind it's gonna be this way for a good whole year and plus.

Ya know, when I'm animating time/sleep/the_world_around_me just seem to disappear, and while I'll have less "leisure time" while doing AM, I dont think I'll mind. There's a immense satisifaction I get from doing something creative with my professional life and personaly life, and I think AM will just play right into that. I've worked at id Software (errr....here I go name-dropping) for about 6 years now so I totally understand what its like to put in a 12-13+ hour day and then go home and try maintain other things in your life as well. It can tough, sure. But, I just started learning animtion 2 and half years ago, and it was all at home in my personal time. So, we're talking a 12-13 hour work day then going home and learning animation 3-5 hours each night, then bed. But, ya know I wouldn't trade that experience for the world! As a person, you come out of an experiences like that confident, and proud of what you've accomplished. Through all of that hard work I'm happier then I've ever been, both with my career and personal life (and I still spend many a late night each week practicing/learning). Sooooo, I'm looking forward to those long nights, and tight schedules! AM will be our (and I mean ALLL OF OUR) chance to learn, grow, and develop as artists, and I bet we'll all come out of extremely happy we did it! Besides.....who really needs sleep anyway? :)

-eric

SheepFactory
03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Damn! i still have no news from AM, no phone call and so no student ID! I'm going insane!!!
I'll send them a mail...

Hey I can call them for you and ask. PM me your e-mail and the question you wanna ask. But you will be fine , I got my call yesterday and student ID should come sometime today. They are not going to miss any applications for sure.

swadepgh
03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I think that I am going to take Friday off this week so that I can have a long and hopefully relaxing weekend before the beginning of Animation Mentor.

ANyone else going to take a break from things before we start the crunch?

Makomako
03-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey I can call them for you and ask. PM me your e-mail and the question you wanna ask. But you will be fine , I got my call yesterday and student ID should come sometime today. They are not going to miss any applications for sure.

ok i'm doing it, thanks

3FnD
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
You dont look as happy with the sony Aja :D
lol, she did say the tape thingy doesn't work...maybe she'd be in the middle of a chat and *sploingk*, the lens falls off or something. You gotta be cautious.

Ya know, when I'm animating time/sleep/the_world_around_me just seem to disappear, and while I'll have less "leisure time" while doing AM, I dont think I'll mind.
true of probably many people and most creative endeavors. Same with me, I worked for a software co. a while back where we spent 10 to 16+ hour days sometimes. Some days were 20hrs. But I was doing crazy creative stuff and surrounded by talented creative people and it was an amazing energy buzzing though the building. It was hard work, but fun and we were doing stuff we really loved and that kept us going. Anyone who's ever worked on a film knows, it's the same thing. That's why you hear the ninjas and anyone else who knows say you have to love it. It's clear most if not all of us here do, and that's why we're determined to work AM into our lives any way possible.

Webcams.
Those of you with lots of light blasting for good pix, do you normally work like that? I work in mostly dark with spots of light only where necessary, so there isn't much light in my workspace. I'm also not close enough or at the right angle for available light. I guess if I have to I can bring in this gazillion watt torchiere from the other room and bounce it off the ceiling!

AjaBogdanoff
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Those of you with lots of light blasting for good pix, do you normally work like that? I work in mostly dark with spots of light only where necessary, so there isn't much light in my workspace.

I do normally work with this lighting setup, yes. I find it soothing. ;) If you like a dark room, though, remember that what really counts is the contrast between you and your background. Don't leave the room behind you totally dark, but if you put a single low-wattage lamp back there, and one or two brighter lights in front of you, you could totally get away with a room that "feels" kind of dark, but lights you well. You just have to experiment with what works. :)

And yeah, this camera I'm using is totally falling apart. The tape mechanism doesn't work, the LCD display is taped shut, and one of the screws is missing on the bottom so the plate is sort of falling off. Could you ask for a better webcam? :D

3FnD
03-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Aj thanks for the lighting tips. Directly behind me is a pair of sliding closet doors which are giant mirrors. tough to light mirrors. I haven't yet figured out where my cam should go...top of my monitor is too high, no space free on desk...that will determine what's in the shot in the background and then I'll have to see how it all looks. I think I'm just gonna have to turn on lots of lights during web stuff...put up a 1K with some diffusion, a 650 bounced off the wall for fill and maybe a little mini for a bit of rim...wait, that's gonna blow a fuse...a small KINOFLO would be better and not as hot (hehe also a film major of sorts. are you concentrating on animation or is am a totally separate thing?).

Yeah, I might have to use that torchiere since it can light the whole room with a nice soft light...and run up a major electric bill!

mgarward
03-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Woohoo! Maya Complete just arrived at my house! I can start finding my way around it! Woohoo! :D

Well... just as soon as I arrive at my house... is it home time yet? What about now? Can I go now? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

AjaBogdanoff
03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Lol, that reminds me of the time one of my classmates used too many 1K's lighting a shot in someone's apartment, and blew the power in half of collegetown. :surprised

I graduated almost two years ago, but yeah, when I was there, I was focused on animation. Of course, my advisors had intended it to be a film studies program, not a film production program, so I spent a lot of time arguing with them about the value of actually making films, rather than just writing about them. :curious: :p

bobbyc
03-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Woohoo! Maya Complete just arrived at my house! I can start finding my way around it! Woohoo! :D

cool! how long ago did you put in the order? and how long did it take to arrive? did you order it thru journey ed?

3FnD
03-23-2005, 08:59 PM
haha, "actually making films". can you imagine if at AM we never actually animate anything?

everybody (who's getting it) get their Maya yet or on order?

I'm patiently awaiting an email about the PLE version, final word if it's supported or not before plocking down $300. Putting off phoning because it's not urgent and I'm sure they're super busy.

mgarward
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
cool! how long ago did you put in the order? and how long did it take to arrive? did you order it thru journey ed?
Yes, ordered through JourneyEd. I ordered it Saturday morning though I'm sure no-one was really working there on the weekend, so it was sent on Monday. I paid for 2-day delivery and it got here today, right on time. Now I just need to finish setting up the new network hard-drive on the new home network for the new PC and maybe THEN I'll get to play... too many new toys. :) Boy this "education purposes" excuse sure is great! :bounce:

jono338
03-23-2005, 09:30 PM
I think that I am going to take Friday off this week so that I can have a long and hopefully relaxing weekend before the beginning of Animation Mentor.

ANyone else going to take a break from things before we start the crunch?

You mean you would have been working on Good Friday?

swadepgh
03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
You mean you would have been working on Good Friday?

Yep. NO day off for me. I have to use PTO to take Friday off.

kenshi
03-23-2005, 10:45 PM
I suppose my hypothesis is that rather than try to learn everything I can about animation before the first day of class and come in as the know it all whiz, if I bring a naive but open attitude free from preconceived notions (and I am certain I am still burdened with plenty of those) I'll be more receptive to the intangible aspects of the lessons that are the real value of learning from these particular mentors.

But I could be wrong. Anyone else share this theory?

i TOTALLY share this theory. if you don't get to the heart of it, no amount of f-curve expertise is going to save your work from mediocrity. sure, the technical aspects are important, even CRUCIAL to get your story across in the long run, but without life behind it, it will fall flat on its face.

Jozvex
03-23-2005, 10:48 PM
You must be in love with your avatar.. It's been a year and half i always look at you (MAN)

Well back when I signed up for CGTalk and wanted to choose an avatar, I didn't know what to have. I was watching Scooby Doo at the time (Scooby is really well animated too!!) and that exact image of Sarah Michelle Gellar (as Daphne) came up, so I just paused the DVD and took a snapshot. I've always liked her because Buffy was my favourite show, plus its a nice happy face to have as an avatar.

A few times in the past I've thought about changing it, but I can never think of anything better. Plus, everyone recognizes me by her face, so I'll keep it. :)

It's also funny because if you watch the Scooby DVD with the cast commentary, Sarah acts really proud that she can point out all the CG stuff during the movie, hehe. AND I believe Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the first TV series to make regular use of CG, AND the first TV series to use digital doubles, way back in '98.

So she's surprisingly CG-related.

P.S. To keep things on topic, yay I made my first AM payment so maybe I'll get my ID today!

rhino23
03-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Recieved "The Animator's Survival Kit" and "The Illusion of Life" today, two books that in flipping through I realize I should have bought a long time ago. They look amazing, and I bought/shipped for only $62 through Amazon. So if you don't own them yet and can't find them at a used book shop(good luck, I never did) then go with Amazon, much much cheaper than Barnes & Noble and other competitors. I can't wait to dig into these books and start classes, unfortunetly I have to move everything into a new apt and set up by Monday, and I am still packing. It's amazing how much more stuff you acquire when you get married... Still waiting for AM to recieve my payment, my bank wouldn't allow me to pay with my credit/debit card(over the daily spending limit) so I had to mail a check that isn't there yet. Nervous and anxious to start all at the same time, but as long as they recieve my check and I get my id # and everything moved and the internet hooked up by Monday, I think I'll survive. whew...

kenshi
03-23-2005, 11:00 PM
this one's for Carlos...

Kimotion
03-24-2005, 01:42 AM
A few times in the past I've thought about changing it, but I can never think of anything better. Plus, everyone recognizes me by her face, so I'll keep it. :)

I changed my avatar twice in the last week but came back to my creepy Crazy 88/Kato. I met people who actually recognized me, and maybe that's a good thing?

The first time I changed it was because someone at my school that shall remain nameless actually asked me if I was that guy with the black mask on cgtalk. I felt so exposed and violated! My alias had been compromised.

Speaking of alias, my favorite tv show "Alias" is on tonight...

bobbyc
03-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Yes, ordered through JourneyEd. I ordered it Saturday morning though I'm sure no-one was really working there on the weekend, so it was sent on Monday. I paid for 2-day delivery and it got here today, right on time. Now I just need to finish setting up the new network hard-drive on the new home network for the new PC and maybe THEN I'll get to play... too many new toys. :) Boy this "education purposes" excuse sure is great!

sweet... i ordered from them as well. but unfortunately, they are on backorder, so i'll have to wait till after the 29th.

i noticed your from DC, Im originally from Annandale, VA ... i miss the east coast :(

-b

Jozvex
03-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Yay I got my student ID and created my account!

One thing that slightly concerns me after doing that, is that at my resolution of 1600x1200, the antialiased flash-based text in the class signup form was really tiny and fuzzy. I ended up having to down-res in order to see what I was writing!

I'm not sure if being able to deactivate flash's antialiasing would help, but it might?

:shrug:

LIGHTYEAR
03-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I find it highly amusing that we're all stressing over the lighting and composition of our webcam pix (perhaps cinematographymentor.com is a viable option?)- and has anyone story boarded out their avatar?.
Will be interesting to see how much activity there will be on this thread after Monday?

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 09:11 AM
this one's for Carlos...

Hey Kenshi, really funny one ! I love the pose and the expression ! :thumbsup:

Rikki
03-24-2005, 09:54 AM
My documents still haven't been delivered - 1 week sitting in CA now.

I'm starting to panic :sad:

Does anyone have an email address for someone at AM that could help? I emailed Francis but there's been no reply.

super_mouse
03-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can order Maya 6.5 with a student discount from in the UK??

immerzeelpictures
03-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know where I can order Maya 6.5 with a student discount from in the UK??

Journeyed has an European branch.

www.journeyedeurope.com. Haven't ordered there yet, but will soon.

Rikki
03-24-2005, 10:34 AM
There's a few:

http://www.alias.com/eng/purchase/locator/index.shtml?search=1&country=United_Kingdom&prod7=Maya&education=on&x=19&y=5

I still haven't managed to find a price though.

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
UK JourneyEd - Maya Complete 6.5 student bundle - 183.99 +VAT & + Shipping

Linky:- http://www.journeyedeurope.com/itemDetail.asp?UID=3560032405334965&GEN0=EN&GEN1=1&GEN2=1072&GEN3=&GEN4=HPuk&GEN5=UK03&GEN6=&GEN7=&GEN8=&GEN9=&TRAN85=Y&T1=85243910%2D12151113&FNM=00&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4

Rikki
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah saw that not long after posting. My bad :D

Parlo
03-24-2005, 11:09 AM
UK JourneyEd - Maya Complete 6.5 student bundle - 183.99 +VAT & + Shipping

Linky:- http://www.journeyedeurope.com/itemDetail.asp?UID=3560032405334965&GEN0=EN&GEN1=1&GEN2=1072&GEN3=&GEN4=HPuk&GEN5=UK03&GEN6=&GEN7=&GEN8=&GEN9=&TRAN85=Y&T1=85243910%2D12151113&FNM=00&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4

Which is about 222 all in. Not too shabby.

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Ulimited works out at 264 + VAT & + Shipping.

After using it for a while I know that the extra features arent too great for the pricing, but for under 500 it's pretty awesome I think!

Oh, the student version doesn't give any nasty watermarks over renders/animations does it? I know the PLE does, and it's disgusting to work with IMO! Just checkin b4 I chuck my money about! :thumbsup:

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Or directly from here :

http://www.alias.com/eng/purchase/locator/index.shtml?search=1&country=United_Kingdom&prod7=Maya&prod8=Maya+Complete+for+Mac&prod9=Maya+Unlimited+for+Mac&education=on&x=17&y=9

clockwerkz
03-24-2005, 02:53 PM
So let me get this straight.. the educational version available at JourneyEd for Maya 6.5 is without a time limit? Or is it available for 1 year only, or through the life of the course we're enrolled in? Just curious!

cW

immerzeelpictures
03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
So let me get this straight.. the educational version available at JourneyEd for Maya 6.5 is without a time limit? Or is it available for 1 year only, or through the life of the course we're enrolled in? Just curious!

AFAIK the license is only for 1 year. no upgrades included.

But you only have to pay the difference when buying commercial version.

Makomako
03-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Ok, i get my phone call, i should have my student id by tomorow...
I hadn't speak english for a long time, poor AM girl. lol

Excited and terrified... it's so close.....

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Wowo just checkin if there was no new mentors on the website and just saw the new pict for Carlos.. Man carlos... you love paella AND Star wars :)

kenshi
03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey Kenshi, really funny one ! I love the pose and the expression ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Phil! i'm trying to take ideas to the next step. seeing the drawing of Spike balancing on his tongue on AM made me think, "hey, what if his tongue got stuck? what would he do? how would he feel about it?" and "what would be the best way to portray that?" i did 3 thumbnails of different poses before i settled on this one. the first two were pretty bad. lol.

i think it's very important that we start thinking outside of the box, since as animators it will be our job to "plus" whatever scenes we are given.

Get to know the character.
Be the character.
Serve the story.
And have fun!

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Ok guys ! I just decided to turn my french blog to english to share it with you and hoepfully be a part of this webring that Jason tried to create :)

I didn't translate my old posts yet but started today to write in english. So you can start to enjoy it !! :thumbsup: here's the link : http://www.philippeduvin.com (http://www.philippeduvin.com/)

I'll put it in my signature :)
oh and btw, totalyy forgot to ask to bobby and Co if its ok with Spike on my banner ?? Please tell me if you would prefer me to draw it out.. dont hesitate !!! :)

Any news about this webring ??

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Just a reminder that if you wanna test out your cameras the room is open at 11pm, 2 hours 30mins from now! :)

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2sm.jpg (http://breeze37045431.p51.breezecentral.com/r87282660/)

3FnD
03-24-2005, 07:28 PM
and has anyone story boarded out their avatar?.
Now that's funny!
I don't know if it's stressing about the webcam pix, I just wanted to see if the suck picture from my webcam was considerably worse than some of the more costly ones (lighting notwithstanding).

We might be less active here after school starts because there are probably forums in the student area, but that's just a guess. Maybe we'll all be posting both places?
AFAIK the license is only for 1 year. no upgrades included.

But you only have to pay the difference when buying commercial version.
Why oh why would Alias do that? School is longer than 1 year, ours is 18 months...and that's not counting us poor saps who might have to temporarily stop and pick up again for financial reasons! Oh, then there's those who eventually will be on the longer schedule option when it's offered later...that one will be much more than a year.

The PLE watermark is disgusting, in fact it's so overly obtrusive it's hard to see the work you do--even playblast is watermarked! does it have to be so extreme to be effective? If I have a chance soon I'll try to find out from Alias or journeyed about the time-limit thingy. If it's true it means we have to buy a second student license to finish off AM courses.
"hey, what if his tongue got stuck? what would he do? how would he feel about it?" and "what would be the best way to portray that?"
Kenshi, I think that's the best unlicensed use of AM artwork yet just from the fact that you did something original instead of coloring in Spike. It's great but I'm distracted by how his tongue got stuck. Is he standing on a block of ice? did someone spill some inst-stick glue? Other than that it's great fun, good work.

SheepFactory
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
No the maya license is permanent and it has no watermarks.

"This license is a perpetual license that includes installation support only, this license does not include upgrades."

Its written all clearly at the journey ed website.

3FnD
03-24-2005, 07:54 PM

That answers my earlier question about what they mean by "perpetual". Thanks.

Jozvex
03-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Umm, ok, I somehow posted this post into the wrong thread.....and apparantly there's no post deleting anymore??

Well I object! On account of being occasionally stupid and needing to delete posts!

Err, animation rocks!!

My Fault
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
This post edited by the powers of truth, justice and a whole lotta caffeine

:twisted:

Ahh, that explains why all my currency now says "In Jozvex We Trust" :scream:

Rikki
03-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Luis from AM contacted me since they haven't received my documents yet, and told me to fax them (with the paper documents to turn up later) in the meantime. Phew, I can stop panicing. Wonder when I'll get "The Call".

Jozvex
03-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Damn! You quoted my evilness before I changed it! It appears that the thread I started posting into got deleted.....so my post went into the next thread instead.

My Fault
03-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Your evilness has now been edited, though my respect for that evilness remains :bounce:

AZL42
03-24-2005, 09:10 PM
So this is how you two built up to over a thousand posts each?:thumbsup:

Jozvex
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Hehe nahh.

90% of my posts are in the Maya forum. This is really the only thread I post crazy stuff in.

And speaking of crazy, I ordered a webcam again (after the fiasco with the first shop) and they emailed me today that they're not getting new stock until April the 18th!!!

immerzeelpictures
03-24-2005, 09:42 PM

"This license is a perpetual license that includes installation support only, this license does not include upgrades."

Its written all clearly at the journey ed website.

I stand corrected :)

I liked it better being permanent...

Guiliguili
03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Modus,

I just read your Blog. Nice.
I try the link for the Defective animation. But nothing appends...
I get a screen with the Quicktime logo. it's all !
Where did you find the info in CGtalk ?
I made a search with defective and Rani Naamani
Nothing...

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Modus,

I just read your Blog. Nice.
I try the link for the Defective animation. But nothing appends...
I get a screen with the Quicktime logo. it's all !
Where did you find the info in CGtalk ?
I made a search with defective and Rani Naamani
Nothing...

Hi guiliguili, thanks for reading this :) Rani is a great animator, he was on the homepage of CGtalk couple of days ago. I guess you should 'right click and save as' the link with the movie on it. I just checked it now and it worked fine.

Here's a direct link to his animation :http://student.vfs.com/~3d47rani/RaniNaamani_Defective.mov

Right click on it and save as.
But the webpage still http://student.vfs.com/~3d47rani/

Enjoy !! :)

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Final bump for this one! Click the link to see fellow students!!! :thumbsup:

AKS
03-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey, just tried this and can't get on, first I get the message that "maximum limit has been reached" and then when I re-try I get the message "Another connection with this ticket is already in progress." I just click on the link and sign in as a guest right?

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 10:11 PM
same to me...:sad:

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
AHHHH!!! Server is maxing out. keep trying and u will get in, i gotta keep booting peeps! Sorry about this guys. :sad:

Ok, you can jump in, and test the camera, then u gonna jump back out. 5 max in the room. Mega sorry guys. Just keep tryin if the room is full! :)

PixelTales
I'm having the same problem, I hope I can figure out how to get in soon. I got off work early to be here on time. :sad:

philippeduvin
i want to see mr Schleiffer !!! :bounce: come on man, show us Penny and your favorite coffee mug ! and your dogs !!:)man i just realized this is 2.15 pm for you guys in CA, you must be at PDI working :) SHOW PDI !!!

clockwerkz
He's having problems with the server. :sad:

cW

3FnD
03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
well what's the limit on that thing anyway? maximum occupancy kind of thing? guess you gotta be in there early or somethin'.

AKS
03-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Does using IE or Foxfire make any difference?

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
http://breeze37045431.p51.breezecentral.com/r69689181/

try that one too!!!

Kenny_Rocks
03-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Full..

Damn,

jschleifer
03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
i want to see mr Schleiffer !!! :bounce: come on man, show us Penny and your favorite coffee mug ! and your dogs !!:)man i just realized this is 2.15 pm for you guys in CA, you must be at PDI working :) SHOW PDI !!!

hah! :) no cam here at work.. and besides, it's work time! not webcam time! :)

Kimotion
03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm at work! :sad:

stewartjones
03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
DANG!

My account just froze on me :sad: .

I'm guessing that's it guys. Man that blows, guess it will have to be an Messenger thing. Cheers for the peeps who managed to get in tho!

PixelTales
03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Sweet, I got it to work. :bounce: If you havent gotten in yet, just keep trying. I can't wait to give it a try on the AM site now. How did everyone's cameras work by the way?

Thank you sooo much Vyntax for setting this test up for us. :thumbsup: It was very helpful for us all to get a pre AM test in. Sorry it was so painful on your server though.

Kenny_Rocks
03-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Right I'm off to bed then.

Nice one for setting that up Vyntax..
Cya all next week..

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fam/fam28.gif

3FnD
03-24-2005, 10:49 PM
well it was a fun try. maybe that breeze thing doesn't work with too many people. My camera feed never got "approved", whatever that means. Maybe I needed better lighting!

philippeduvin
03-24-2005, 10:53 PM
me neither...but you know what ?? it was VERY weird seing peoples "for real" for the very first time on screen with the audio perfectly sync with the video. And it makes me think how different, intense and great this school is gonna be :bounce: This experience is so weird... man, in some years, may be we'll all have a kind of BIG blind date with each other in the biggie studios :)

AKS
03-25-2005, 08:48 AM
It was definately weird seeing people for real. And I DEFINATELY need better lighting. I had only tested my camera out in daylight before that and just realized last night I only had 1 little lamp to assist in the lighting scheme.

Anyways, I think this is all absolutely going to ROCK!! The ability to see people and acutally interact with them is going to make this feel much more real and serious. Good move on the AM guys part. Can't wait to see everyone Monday!

immerzeelpictures
03-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I think it was crowded in there! I tried to get in, but didn't succeed.

A well. I didn't have a webcam anyway. My order got lost :sad:.

I will see the real faces soon I guess.

My Fault
03-25-2005, 03:22 PM
So this is how you two built up to over a thousand posts each?:thumbsup:

Yes, easy to reach 1,000 posts when you use such phrases as

"What he said"

"OMG, you are the r0x0rs"

"That's hot"

"Who is my mentor" :twisted:

Makomako
03-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Does somebody knoes how will it be on monday? At what time will AM launch, what will happen? Is there a new newsletter?
Thanks
Matt

SheepFactory
03-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Does somebody knoes how will it be on monday? At what time will AM launch, what will happen? Is there a new newsletter?
Thanks
Matt

We'll find out at our annual "break your F5" party this sunday at 11.59pm :D

andy_maxman
03-25-2005, 04:20 PM
yea and one may recommend to keep yourself surrounded with goodies.....most of them ran out of stock the last time....

and hey..goodLuck to guys who begin jamming this monday....
cheers!
;)andy

Kimotion
03-25-2005, 04:24 PM
:sad:

On Monday I have work (which means I won't have access to AM.com from 6:30am til 5pm) and I have night class from 7-10. I won't get home til around 11pm.

:sad:

So to squeeze all the time I have on Monday, I'll be at my home computer at 11:59 Sunday night! :buttrock:

philippeduvin
03-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Do we have to be there on Sunday 11.59 pm ?? what's gonna happen ?? is there a mentor who is gonna knock at my door or something ? :) imagine that thing...you feed the mentor with fodd for a year and he gives you animation advices during this time :scream: what a deal !! ok so where are my medication ??

clockwerkz
03-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I work on Monday from 7 Am to 5 Pm, but I'm also on the eastcoast. So I plan on going to sleep beaucomp (or as I always write it, BOKU) early so I can get up around 4 AM to check out the first day of class. Then when I get home I'll be back on, of course. I can't wait..this weekend is going to CRAWL!

cW

swadepgh
03-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I know what you mean Clock This weekend is going to crawl. With AM classes starting so soon I am beginning to wish that I didn't have to split my time between AM and work. Wouldn't it be great to just be able to animate all the time?

I think that I am going to try to save a lot of money over the next year. THat way, next spring/summer I can take six months off from work to focus solely on the last two short film classes for AM. Anyone else going to try to do something similar?

Rabid pitbull
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Do you all really expect anything to happen before 8-9am monday morning? I am not going to worry about it till then. :shrug:

clockwerkz
03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Do you all really expect anything to happen before 8-9am monday morning? I am not going to worry about it till then. :shrug:

Oh no.. in fact, I think I recall them saying that the first week is going to be a freebie, with no assignment due. But still, I'm dying to log in and see how the whole system is going to work! Maybe they'll put out a a video or two. I know they'll also be having that into to Maya.. I'm very familiar with Maya, but still I'll participate in those. After all, you never know what you may be missing out on.
So unless we get word otherwise, I'll be waking up early just to give it a shot. No biggie for me.

cW

Hey swadepgh, I'm thinking of a similar plan as well. I would love to take half a year to solely focus on my animation project, and make the most out of it. Leave work, and maybe pick up a part timer if need be.

Bentagon
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I'll have one and a half years of pure gold animation goodness only! (evil laughter)
I seriously want to get the MAX out of this... but I'm still jealous I can't start right now..

- Benjamin

Kimotion
03-25-2005, 06:17 PM
As for me, I'm about to wrap up my stint here at my school by May And hopefully use what I got so far, plus the stuff I learned from AM.com to look for a job in the industry. ANY industry.

Of course I'll still be on with AM...getting a job in the industry no way guarantees you that you'll eventually get the position you desire. In fact, it can take years of butt-kissing and backstabbing to even get noticed by the big kahunas. That's how it was in the banking industry anyway. And even it it is a very junior animation position, I'd take this goldest of golden opportunites to learn from my mentors. You can't put a price on solid education from industry professionals.

AM would force me to keep focus -- always. And learn.

If I can't get a job in the anim. industry this summer, then I'll just keep my day job now. I can't not have a job...rent is expensive in San Francisco, no matter how much I put in the piggy bank.

So my ideal situation would be to get my foot in the industry around June-July, animate on my spare (non-work) time for AM and by Summer 2006 when AM would be completed, I'd bombard animation companies with my reel, filled with stuff learned from AM.com. Heck, hopefully I'll have the cajones to mail my demo reel to companies like Pixar, Dreamworks, Blue Sky and ILM (hey would it still be ILM by 2006 or would everything be LucasFilm by then?).

But as with anything in art, you gotta expect that it would take longer. But it's good to give yourself personal deadlines.

Tim_T
03-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I recall them sending out an email with an orientation newsletter, saying the first week will not involve an assignment. They say to just click around the site, get familar with navigating around. There will be an orientation video!! :bounce: Hey it will be our first video once we acutally are able to log in that is for the students! :bounce: :bounce:

Tim

stewartjones
03-25-2005, 06:40 PM
This weekend has started crawl already!

It will be 8am in the UK, and I will be up and waiting to log in. I am MEGA excited!!!

Can't wait to F5-it-up with you guys again, gonna be totally awesome! :thumbsup:

bentllama
03-25-2005, 06:45 PM
what is everyone's usernames for mentor?

what did you decide to go with? you general internet moniker or your real name?

Kimotion
03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I did something dimwitted. I WAS going to use my real full name, but when it asked for a logon ID, I used Kimtion, only because my brain was on autopilot when filling out those things. I use Kimotion on so many sites, so I just automatically put in Kimotion rather than my real name.

I hope I can change it to my real name, but for most Internet sites, it's not allowed. I hope AM is an exception!

stewartjones
03-25-2005, 06:57 PM
I used - StuJones

... Was still tempted to use - VyntaX (acti-lax) > For Fast Effective Relief! :D

clockwerkz
03-25-2005, 06:58 PM
I did something dimwitted. I WAS going to use my real full name, but when it asked for a logon ID, I used Kimtion, only because my brain was on autopilot when filling out those things. I use Kimotion on so many sites, so I just automatically put in Kimotion rather than my real name.

I hope I can change it to my real name, but for most Internet sites, it's not allowed. I hope AM is an exception!

Oh man, I foot my foot in that pile of doo-doo already my friend! Hehehe. I signed up as Fins, my last name. Right after completing the sign up, I said to myself, "man that SUCKS!" LOL.. So I sent an e-mail to Rosie asking to change it to CarlosF. She got back to me right away and basically said that there should be an option on opening day to change the name, but if not to e-mail her and she'd change it.
But I really hope we're in the minority in wanting our name changes, not the majority. I would hate to bog them down with this work, which personally is uneccesary. I should have given it more thought.

cW

SheepFactory
03-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I used atezel , but will ask them to change it for my real name later on.

regarding the first weeks maya intro lesson , Bobby told me it'll show how they block their shots and everything so even though I know how to use maya I am looking forward to watching that one.

Besides it'll take us a week to get to know each other and get the forums going :)

Kimotion
03-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Oh man, I foot my foot in that pile of doo-doo already my friend! Hehehe. I signed up as Fins, my last name. Right after completing the sign up, I said to myself, "man that SUCKS!" LOL.. So I sent an e-mail to Rosie asking to change it to CarlosF. She got back to me right away and basically said that there should be an option on opening day to change the name, but if not to e-mail her and she'd change it.
But I really hope we're in the minority in wanting our name changes, not the majority. I would hate to bog them down with this work, which personally is uneccesary. I should have given it more thought.

cW

If you're gonna do it it's best to do it early methinks. I'll wait til Monday cus I don't want to bother Rosie now.

Kimotion
03-25-2005, 07:14 PM
To celebrate the opening of AnimationMentor, Sheep Factory and I have decided to QUIT SMOKING on 12:00 AM, March 28, 2005!

So not only AM could have saved our professional animation endeavors, but it could save our LUNGS as well!

I'll be stealing his nicorrettes.

AjaBogdanoff
03-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I used my real name, same as here.

I'm not too worried about internet privacy. I have no secrets.

Like the fact that I have a big, scary dog. That's no secret.

:p ;)

AjaBogdanoff
03-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey, congrats, guys!! I guess this program is going to be motivating in all sorts of ways, huh? Good luck! :thumbsup:

tredeger
03-25-2005, 08:19 PM
God, I hope you F5'ers don't break the servers in the first minute of the first day of the first class. I DO NOT WANT the next newsletter to be: "the second week of class has been delayed a week because you dimwits don't understand that online at your convenience means it doesn't all have to be done in the very first possible second when the server load is, well, all of you."

Just kidding. Surely they can accommodate our small class size even if we deluge them needlessly just for a Maya orientation flick. Next week you guys will be scheduling your midnight around a real assignment - please don't let your heads explode.

Is that our official unofficial moniker now by the way? The F5'ers? I kind of like that. You geeks.

So this week's next hundred posts in summary:

5 more "my paper work finally got taken care of...I got the call, paid for the class...can't wait for monday"

30 or so "It's almost midnight and I can't wait to see the maya orientation video"

40 "I just got my mentor! Whoohoo! It isn't Bobby or Jason Schlieffer but it is _XYZ_! How cool is that! Yea!" ... "Bentllama is in my group! Man, I hope I can do work that looks as good as his..."

10 "Man, I can't wait till next week when we get our first real assignment..."

15 posts from Jozvez, Kimotion, and Clockwerkz covering everything else.

And the cycle begins again...

or the thread could all go dark as this moves to the AM.com forums. But I wouldn't bet on it.

So, like a class in the real world, I am tremendously excited, but I'm not getting up excessively early for it either. I'm kinda tempted to do that but it would be *missing the point completely* of the online nature of the class.

Anyway, I'm going off to start a relaxed weekend away from the box until the start of lessons. A toast to you all and congratulations. I'll see you at AM and until then...

Balance & Timing,
Jazz

My Fault
03-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I used my real name, same as here.

I'm not too worried about internet privacy. I have no secrets.

Like the fact that I have a big, scary dog. That's no secret.

:p ;)

Oooh, does that mean if we miss an assignment we can say that Aja's dog ate our homework? :scream:

vanlicht
03-25-2005, 08:28 PM
To celebrate the opening of AnimationMentor, Sheep Factory and I have decided to QUIT SMOKING on 12:00 AM, March 28, 2005!

So not only AM could have saved our professional animation endeavors, but it could save our LUNGS as well!

I'll be stealing his nicorrettes.

Wow, didn't know AM could be that inspiring to make a "Quit Smoking" wish. Well, to give it a second thought, sounds quite probable eh? I might take ur wishes as mine too, but just one minor minor problem.....what if the wish be made and can't help but smoke again the next day?

It's a bad habit, but what makes it tricky is that habit is hart to quit. I was determined to stop the cig and lasted for a week long, and u know the rest.... the second time couple of colleques hold up a "quit smoking support group," but the next morning i spotted them all smoking up in the balcony, ....same group of people.

AjaBogdanoff
03-25-2005, 08:29 PM
If you give her the chance, she will eat not only your homework, but your shoes, your keyboard, and the entire contents of your medicine cabinet, too. :argh:

clockwerkz
03-25-2005, 08:33 PM
So this week's next hundred posts in summary:

5 more "my paper work finally got taken care of...I got the call, paid for the class...can't wait for monday"

30 or so "It's almost midnight and I can't wait to see the maya orientation video"

40 "I just got my mentor! Whoohoo! It isn't Bobby or Jason Schlieffer but it is _XYZ_! How cool is that! Yea!" ... "Bentllama is in my group! Man, I hope I can do work that looks as good as his..."

10 "Man, I can't wait till next week when we get our first real assignment..."

15 posts from Jozvez, Kimotion, and Clockwerkz covering everything else.

And the cycle begins again...

HEY HEY HEY.. just remember something.. there are 3 things that get massive postings from the cgtalkers.. AnimationMentor, Star Wars/Episode III/Lucas Ruined the trilogy/blah blah blah, and Disney/Pixar/Disney sucks/Eisner is the Devil/blah blah blah. At least the AM thread is positive and uplifting, even if some may consider it as naive! :thumbsup:

cW:buttrock:

philippeduvin
03-25-2005, 09:07 PM
And it's gonna be my first name for me : Phil, actually Philippe in french, but prefered to reduce it to Phil :) and to be sync with my blog , Phi's blog... :)

It's great that we could have a week to feel confortable with the site. THis is gonna the website that I had visited the most since I discovered Internet :) even more than google !!
Can't wait !!

Mooncalf
03-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm using my real name: Eric Scheur. I figure that since a lot of AMonline will be video chatting, and verbal and such, it would be weird to have someone actually call me "Mooncalf" out loud. :)

On another note... I got my web cam yesterday. And I know a lot of us are brand-new webCam owners. So I have to ask: did anyone else install the drivers, the software, load it up to test out the camera...

And then proceed to make funny faces, googly eyes, and more or less pretend you were talking to someone, just to see what it looked like?

What is UP with that??? :)

Bentagon
03-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I do that all the time... it's like talking to the mirror. I do that all the time, mostly when I just got excited about some animation, or an idea for animation, or a cool scene in a film, or whatever. I go upstairs to the bathroom, brush my teeth etc, and then a half an hour later, my dad comes in and wonders why I'm still there... With a webcam it's about the same thing.

But who cares anyhow, it's fun!

- Benjamin

Rikki
03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Well my documents turned up today (that's timing, eh?) and I just had "The Call" :D

I'm ready to go (except for the lack of student ID which I'll get Monday apparently).

sternio
03-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I am pumped for the first week, but I am hoping it is going to be more than a maya lesson.

I signed up as sternio, and I even went and changed my cgtalk name from dimension10 to sternio, keep it consistent.

Someone on the forum recommended the Shamus Culhane animation book. Whoever it was thank you, I read it cover to cover this week. It makes me want to attempt to try animate some of my assignments by pencil. Does anybody know a good online store for anim supplies like exposure sheets/pegged sheets?

PixelTales
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
So I have to ask: did anyone else install the drivers, the software, load it up to test out the camera...

And then proceed to make funny faces, googly eyes, and more or less pretend you were talking to someone, just to see what it looked like?

What is UP with that??? :)

I totally did that too. Speaking of web cam fun you guy's have to check these links out. What a riot. :)

Link 1 (http://www.savemartha.com/fat_kid_singing_video.html)

Link 2 (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/starwarskidv.html)

Many of you have probably seen these already but they are definitly worth a second look. And, for those of you that haven't seen them your gonna bust a gut, these are so funny.

Rikki
03-25-2005, 10:21 PM
AM recommended www.cartoonsupplies.com :)

Nitefyre
03-25-2005, 11:57 PM

Here's one of them! Finally received my student ID number this morning and chose my login name, Nitefyre. I prefer to be called that as there are usually 5+ Ryans in everything I join and even some of my local friends will use it. Plus like kimotion, I have the bad habit of automatically typing in Nitefyre when logging on to any site.

Dragged my old webcam out of the closet and finally managed to get the thing setup. The cord behind is thick so it likes to turn the camera with its own weight so dont be surprised if in a middle of a chat you are staring at my ceiling instead of me :argh: . And with that here is my test picture...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/Nitefyre/ryan002.jpg

Edit: Ike is my mentor!!

My Fault
03-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Oh man, this topic is about to explode..... their sending out the mentor list!

Yo to Derek, look forward to working with you! :thumbsup:

AjaBogdanoff
03-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Another Derek here! :bounce: It's finally happening!! :scream:

Thorse3D
03-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey!

I just received a new e-mail from Luis and i know who is my Mentor! see u in 28!

SheepFactory
03-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Hey!

I just received a new e-mail from Luis and i know who is my Mentor! see u in 28!

so who is it?

Victor Navone here :buttrock:

Thorse3D
03-26-2005, 01:38 AM
DELIO TRAMONTOZZI !!

This is fantastic! dreams come true!

-DM

Guiliguili
03-26-2005, 01:44 AM
My mentor is Charles Alleneck.

clockwerkz
03-26-2005, 01:48 AM
I got Derek as well!! Woohoo!! Wow, this is so TOTALLY awesome!!

cW

Kimotion
03-26-2005, 01:58 AM
I got Mark Behm! He worked at Blue Sky! Another former/current New Yorker like me?

Jozvex
03-26-2005, 02:00 AM
I signed up as Jozvex, and my mentor is Chris Hurt!! A lead animator on both Stuart Little 2 and Spiderman 2!!

YAY!!

Haha, they need to start a trading card collection set!

3FnD
03-26-2005, 02:29 AM
... it's like talking to the mirror.

Yeah, like a reverse mirror...takes a sec to get used to everything moving opposite of what you expect because of all the experience we have seeing ourself in mirrors. At least for me. Only a sec, though.

What I found interesting--and don't know why it seems more pronounced on my cam than a mirror--was how squachy my face actually is...never noticed as much with a mirror, maybe because the cam is so wide-angle or something. I see how these cams will be useful for animating.

I'll have the privilege of studying under Jeremy Cantor...who apparently can draw extremely well left-handed as seen on his web site (http://http://www.zayatz.com/images/life_drawings/256/male3ab.jpg). Mr. Cantor's site has a lot of good stuff, when I get a chance I'm gonna check out all the other mentor's sites, too.

Supplies. I got a cheapo peg bar (http://http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/90?osCsid=1c03c50bfbbc138cb56c3b40ddeb23bb) from the recommended site. Kind of a drag, shipping costs more than the item itself. I'm not concentrating on hand-drawn for class, but thought I'd try it out, practice, see if I can even get anywhere. Love to draw but I have to learn to draw a thing more than once and have it look the same, not to mention turning volumes in space...sheesh! That's why I'm so glad they invented 3D animation!

Did anyone see anthing in the emails about what time we are able to log in?

Kimotion
03-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Hey, congrats, guys!! I guess this program is going to be motivating in all sorts of ways, huh? Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Kimotion
03-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Wow, didn't know AM could be that inspiring to make a "Quit Smoking" wish. Well, to give it a second thought, sounds quite probable eh? I might take ur wishes as mine too, but just one minor minor problem.....what if the wish be made and can't help but smoke again the next day?

It's a bad habit, but what makes it tricky is that habit is hart to quit. I was determined to stop the cig and lasted for a week long, and u know the rest.... the second time couple of colleques hold up a "quit smoking support group," but the next morning i spotted them all smoking up in the balcony, ....same group of people.

:eek:

To ensure we try our best to quit, we've agreed that whoever breaks, the other will post it on this forum!

If I catch Sheep Factory with a cigarette after 12:00 am 3/28, I'm gonna make him change his name to "Cigarette Factory."

Jozvex
03-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Hahaha!

If I were a sheep I'd be too scared to smoke, all that wool could easily catch fire! Oh, but he's a sheep factory, not a sheep. What on earth is a sheep factory anyway? Or don't we want to know...

And my mentor's website is currently empty! Darn!

PixelTales
03-26-2005, 02:49 AM
My mentor is Charles Alleneck.

Just got my email too. It looks like we will be working in the same group. :) I'm looking forward to getting to know both you, and Charles, as well as the rest of the gang in the coming months. See you on the 28th! :bounce: Congrats to all, and see you on the inside.

Oh yeah, I was wondering did you ever get that bandwith problem sorted out? I hope you did. :thumbsup:

Guiliguili
03-26-2005, 03:01 AM
Hi Pixel Tales

Nice to have you as AnimationMentor fellow.

My speed connection is already a problem but... the tahitian provider connects me this day on 512 kb/s to test. I have 7 days to test.
This morning I try to download the small video on the AM web site : same speed as with my 128 kb/s connection. Other sites are more faster and I was able to download a samll animation from France in real time. No buffering time.
I will test Monday with AM.
And after if it's OK I have to pay.... a lot of "tahitian bucks":sad:
See you the 28th

darkefire
03-26-2005, 03:13 AM
Guiliguili! Pixeltales! i look forward to being Mentored alongside both you! I was checking my email at random, and did in NO WAY expect this little morsel in there. Im frikkin bursting with enthusiasm! :eek:

Ironically, my i'll be logging in as "sadlittleboy", the namesake of my Avatar, as well as my dearest personal creation. I figure its a lot truer to me than my usual handle, and this will leave the "log-in with FIRE creatively spelled in the title" to our friend Nitefyre, and avoid any potential confusion. I deny all allegations that his avatar beat the living snot out my avatar in an all-out bare knuckle brawl :thumbsup:

mikep1980
03-26-2005, 03:19 AM
I just found out that Jeremy Cantor is my Mentor!! Woohoo!! :bounce:

jono338
03-26-2005, 03:43 AM
So I finally got everything (well, more like the minimum to get connected, but we won't go there) setup in my new office in the attic and got the wireless network setup and connected after a few worrying false starts, and start wading through about 3 days of email backlog to see an AM email. So forget the boring stuff and straight to the AM folder.

Woohoo! My Mentor is Chris Hurt. It's actually all starting.

Now I'll have to do some serious reorganising. Was going to be 150km north doing some work on Wed when the Global Orientation and then my teams first Q&A session will be on. Like I was going to be anywhere else on that day!!

Dang, my web cam hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully by Wed it will.

I'm so excited.