PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Eyemagic
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm in BIG BIG trouble about postals. Im in France.
I received the AM email saying that we could send all the papers right now.
But I received it at 8.00 pm tonight !! Before that, everywhere, it says wait wait before sending something.
Tomorrow it's the week end, and my pack will be gone just on monday. And Rosie told me that you'll need all the papers in hand by the 17th which is really closed and pretty difficult to achieve.

The best i can do is sending it with the fastest way tomorrow and send them a scan of all the papers at the same time.
I dont want the summer term !! i want this one ! :sad:

I'm in the same situation that you Modus. I received the e-mail, when the postal services are closed. So, I have to wait to the monday. I'll planning send my papers with UPS or DHL, because the postal service in Spain are horrible... (hey!, Any country that his postal service works correctly? :twisted: ).

Well, I hope that all the things arrive in time.

maelstrom
03-11-2005, 11:17 PM
i got exactly the same problem :banghead:

neither Swiss postal service, nor TNT, nor UPS have their offices open on a weekend here. the earliest they will send it on Monday, which could well be too late for the 17th....

funny thing is: it's not even our own fault!

i'm pretty sure though, the AM guys are aware of the problem and will be merciful with us european hopefuls! :p

oddjob the dwarf
03-11-2005, 11:25 PM
hey guys i'm from paris and i send them tuesday (mardi si je me trompe po) and they receive it friday morning, so do like me, send them in chronopost it's a little expensive 45€ but, that deserve it !!!

philippeduvin
03-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Ah merci oddjob, i will try to do that :thumbsup:

clockwerkz
03-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks Kirko... thats what im looking for...the times of the Q&As.. i couldnt think of what they were called

Well, you gotta figure that your mentor probably works something along the lines of a 9 to 5ish schedule, Mon-Fri. So I would probably guess that they're available from about 6-7 to whenever they are willing to stay up. I'm on the east coast, so I have a 3 hour difference. If they do a Q&A around 9-10, I'm looking at 12-1 AM. No biggie. Then there's the possibility of the weekend, but then the assignments are due Sunday. Dunno...we''ll see how it all works out. :-)

cW

liquidik
03-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey Modus, just go to ups.com and do a time/cost estimate. If you send it on Monday they should receive it on the 16th with them

Guiliguili
03-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Sorry for the french message :shrug:

Salut Modus,
Si tu postes le paquet à FedEx lundi matin à Marreille pour 10h30, il arrivera à San Francisco le mercredi 16 mars. Tout juste.
prix : fedex first : 102 euros et des papates
fedex priorité internationale : 62 euros 80
Remboursés si l'enveloppe n'est pas livrée dans les délais.
Mais ça ça te ferait une belle jambe

AZL42
03-12-2005, 03:16 AM
Here is my test of the little blue ball moving in a scene: http://www.zevfilms.com/test2.avi
The scene was designed by a friend of mine for a different project...but it might work for this one. I still haven't found a way I like for the big heavy ball to move. Having it take time to gather it's self up made it look heavy, but also not very threatening...

jono338
03-12-2005, 03:35 AM
got my call for credit card payment so i am in just have to wait for student ID now. also I am going to be using XSI for class if anyone else is in the Spring Term and will be using XSI it would be great to know in case any of us have any questions or such regarding the rigging issue.

Hi, I intend to use XSI, mainly because I can't justify the dollars on Maya right now, unless it's like $100 or something, but somehow I don't think it is.

I think out of 300 students, there will be enough of us using XSI to work something out, and I'm sure there will be at least a couple with some nifty rigging skills. I already started on the BallBoy character with a not-to-bad reverse foot rig and I'm a rank amateur at rigging, but it's useable. I mean, they are pretty simple characters, and it's not like the rigging of the Maya characters is going to be a secret.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/8280/ballboy1yj.th.jpg (http://img152.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img152&image=ballboy1yj.jpg)

I'll whip up an animation of the controls if anyone would like that.

Cheers.

tredeger
03-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I think out of 300 students, there will be enough of us using XSI to work something out, and I'm sure there will be at least a couple with some nifty rigging skills. I already started on the BallBoy character with a not-to-bad reverse foot rig and I'm a rank amateur at rigging, but it's useable. I mean, they are pretty simple characters, and it's not like the rigging of the Maya characters is going to be a secret.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/8280/ballboy1yj.th.jpg (http://img152.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img152&image=ballboy1yj.jpg)

I'll whip up an animation of the controls if anyone would like that.

Cheers.

Where did you download the models? Or did you just build it from scratch?

fluffybunny
03-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Hi, I intend to use XSI, mainly because I can't justify the dollars on Maya right now, unless it's like $100 or something, but somehow I don't think it is.

I'd definitely think you should use what you want to and are comfortable with. I don't know if it works in Oz(though there probably is something comparable), but www.studica.com has maya complete student edition for $278. This is somewhat close to your $100 or something :)

eric

hqgamer
03-12-2005, 07:22 AM
do they requare previous knowledge in order to enter ?

sorry for my english:rolleyes:

AZL42
03-12-2005, 07:45 AM
They don't require previous experience but they do require a minimum age of 18. Check at http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/images/AMCatalog.pdf (http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/images/AMCatalog.pdf) for more info.

Jozvex
03-12-2005, 08:14 AM
All this talk about balls with character enthused me into making my own short scene. I tried to do the "big ball chases tiny ball" type of thing. Unfortunately I started rendering before I remembered about adding camera shake, damn!! It's much harder to make the big ball seem heavy than it is to make the small ball seem light. I mostly made the big one heavy by giving it much bigger and slower 'strides'. I also made it skid! I thought that was good, but it also makes it seem a little smooshy.

http://www.jozvex.com/temp/Bouncies.mov

There are so many more things I could add, like more anticipation for the big ball, camera shake, maybe motion blur only on the little ball etc. This took me about 2 or 3 hours I think (not including rendering hehe). It took a while to get the deformers parented in the right way. The last jump taken by the big ball goes too long but I couldn't be bothered to animate another landing halfway out of camera, hehe. Oh I also think that adding an "eeeek!" moment to the little ball after he 'looks' back to the left would be funny too.

:thumbsup:

mmkelly011881
03-12-2005, 09:03 AM
here was my last update on a bouncing ball animation before i decided to concentrate on a new one

http://www.sabudesign.com/mostlycloudy/Asessions/Exercise02/mkelly_AS_ex02_redux_05.mov
2.19 mb

Yar... the tables be turned ya scurvy dog

Kaveh needs to get in here and post his amazing bouncies

or you can check them out at Animation Students (http://animationgroup.proboards30.com/index.cgi)under exercises

Jozvex
03-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Great work Matt!!

You did the thrown objects really nicely! (as well as the rest hehe)

And wow Kaveh's are really awesome too.

AZL42
03-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey guys. Nice bouncy balls.

I had just been planning on using scale with my balls but your deformers look cool Jozvex. And the light ball does look very light and upbeat.

I think the problem with the big heavies is that real big heavy balls, like bowling balls or cannon balls don't deform at all; and once they hit the ground stop bouncing pretty quickly...so to have to have it continue moving and deform to animate it is a harder problem. I'm at my families house this weekend so I can't work on it in Maya more for a couple days, but I think I'll go back to the planning stage and thumbnail more.

mmkelly011881
03-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Kaveh just updated his within the last hour... hilarious!

sorry kaveh.. im linking to the page now

http://animationgroup.proboards30.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Talk&num=1098940043&start=30

darkefire
03-12-2005, 05:03 PM
awesome stuff, Jozvex and Matt! very fluid stuff, and convincing use of weight in both pieces. throwing the life preserver and everything but the kitchen sink was a laugh-out-loud moment in Matt's animation:thumbsup:

question on deformers: I, too, was just messing around with the scale of the bouncy balls. but that can get kinda sloppy. are you using like a one or two bone set up, a latice setup, or actual "deformers" (i've havent messed with those yet)?

mmkelly011881
03-12-2005, 05:08 PM
i was using scale... i set the pivot at the bottom of the ball and scaled from there

kaveh has a script in his thread that auto scales the x and z axes when you scale the y axis so that it appears to retain mass without extra key setting (if you are using maya)

clockwerkz
03-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post and tell you all that I am a proud owner of The Incredibles DVD! Woohoo!! It arrived today by mail. I had pre-ordered through DisneyDirect.com. It came with 4 lithos. Good stuff! A little inspiration as we enter our last week before classes!

cW

SheepFactory
03-12-2005, 10:29 PM
heh great anim Matt , made me laugh :)

Jozvex
03-12-2005, 11:06 PM
question on deformers: I, too, was just messing around with the scale of the bouncy balls. but that can get kinda sloppy. are you using like a one or two bone set up, a latice setup, or actual "deformers" (i've havent messed with those yet)?

I had each ball grouped to themself, using the group to do the animation, then inside the group was the ball object and a Squash Deformer (from the nonlinear deformers menu). The squash deformer is cool because it preserves the volume but also has controls for whether there's more of a blob at the top or bottom, and some other controls. I also used a Bend deformer on the little ball for when he looks back.

However, if I were doing the animation again I think I might just use an expression on the scaleX and scaleZ like Kaveh did. One less node to worry about and animate that way.

I'm starting to dislike the way I did the heavy ball, haha.

jono338
03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Where did you download the models? Or did you just build it from scratch?

Just made if from scratch; it's pretty simple.

rhino23
03-13-2005, 03:23 AM
I know people had been talking about webcams earlier and I suggest, if you don't already have one laying around, to buy a camcorder instead of a webcam. I'm not saying go out and spend a lot of money but I have a Sony TRV230 DV cam that I have had for for two years and you can buy them on eBay for $50 or less now. Then not only will you have a webcam but you will also have a camera that you can take out and shoot reference with. Oh, and once you have a camcorder just download WebCamDV and you can use it as a webcam. Just a suggestion... http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wise.gif

philippeduvin
03-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post and tell you all that I am a proud owner of The Incredibles DVD! Woohoo!! It arrived today by mail. I had pre-ordered through DisneyDirect.com. It came with 4 lithos. Good stuff! A little inspiration as we enter our last week before classes!

cW

Wow tell us about the bonus dvd !! :)

liquidik
03-13-2005, 06:59 PM
ehehe, in Italy we have the Incredibles DVD from the 9th. It's the must have of all DVDs and the bonus one is...INCREDIBLE? You had to see the energy of Brad, and all the crew. Simply amazing!

Back to seeing the film again...I'm going trough it frame by frame...it's such a learning experience !

CU

Gianmichele

AZL42
03-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Sounds great. I'll have to wait till the 15th. So which frame is your favorite?:-)

liquidik
03-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Ohhh man everything is sooo great! The line of action, and the silouette, are so clear..I know I had to concentrate on this basic and classic stuffs to really make my character live!

There will be a lot to draw and animate in the next 18 months... Can't wait!

Bentagon
03-13-2005, 08:20 PM
The Incredibles has LOTS of amaaazing poses! I actaully went back to the theatre with a sketchbook and marker two times, and just made quick thumbnails of awesome poses. It was in the dark, but I managed to put some cool ones down :D

- Benjamin

hideandfreak
03-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Just got my webcam from Amazon the other day and decided to do a really quick (and super crude) stop motion test with it. Anyway, just a simple bouncing ball made of clay and a dash of mineral oil. I used Stop Motion Pro to capture the images from my webcam.

Bouncing Ball Stop Motion Test (http://www.aaronrobbins.com/arAnimation/arBallBounceStopMo.mov)

Anyway, there was a ton of stuff to fix, but as you know with stop motion fixing means re-shooting.

darkefire
03-13-2005, 11:12 PM
that looks great, hideandfreak! stopmotion is a complete and utter mystery to me. i noticed the holes in the cardboard that makes up your backdrop, so it makes a little more sense to me how that was done. im still impressed by the sheer thinking and preplanning that goes into stop motion, especially since you cant go back and simply add frame here or there if you dont like how it turned out.

im still bouncing balls around the old fashioned way in Maya :D

putting the pivot point at the bottom really helps control the sqashing more. im not big on expressions, so i set a driven key on the xz scale to an inverse of the y scale (ie: scale down in y scales out in x/z, and vice versa). i love how simple advice like that puts like a 70% improvement in my work. i'll probably be spending more time on the AMO forum than actually animating, heh heh.

speaking of basics, how is everyone in Maya test rendering? i mean, my viewport moves fine, but i prefer seeing it with a touch of motion blur. so i batch render it out to an .avi file. is anyone rendering to frames directly? and if so, what are you using to get a .mov/.avi out of it?

mikep1980
03-13-2005, 11:31 PM
speaking of basics, how is everyone in Maya test rendering? i mean, my viewport moves fine, but i prefer seeing it with a touch of motion blur. so i batch render it out to an .avi file. is anyone rendering to frames directly? and if so, what are you using to get a .mov/.avi out of it?

Personally, most of my animations are playblasts. Although there's no motion blur, it is a quick way to see progress without waiting for a render. And it gets the concept across just as well.

When rendering however, I prefer outputting to Targa (TGA) files. Then composite them in After Affects to create an AVI or MOV file. Doing it this way gives me a lot more creative freedom to edit or composite than rendering out an AVI directly from Maya.

-Mike

clockwerkz
03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Wow tell us about the bonus dvd !! :)

Well, so far the bonus DVD is great. I watched Boundin' over again, then watched it with the commentary, and then watched the behind the scnes of Boundin with the creator, Buddy something, I believe. Interesting fellow!
The menu of the bonus dvd is a little lacking, especially after what they did with the Finding Nemo DVD. I started to watch the making-of with Brad Bird, but had to cut it short midway. From what I saw, it was very cool. Brad Bird basically took a video camera with him on the very first day at Pixar! That was really neat! Tonight we're watching the movie, and then I hope to re-watch the making-of.

cW

HideandFreak: Dude, that stop motion with the bouncing ball was awesome.

Jozvex
03-14-2005, 01:26 AM
I render to a sequence of .IFF files and then turn them into a .mov in either Digital Fusion or Quicktime Pro. There are also lots of free apps on the net for turning image sequences into avis.

Great stopmotion test! My approach to the setup would've been to point the camera straight down, then animate the ball simply moving around on a piece of paper. You could then just stand a box on the paper to be the 'ground'. It would help with not having to suspend the ball, but it might be a bit akward to work with I suppose.

And I can't wait to get the Incredibles DVD!

hideandfreak
03-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I too was going to shoot it with the camera above but I ran into a few problems. The clay leaves blue marks on whatever it touches (including hands, enter latex gloves) and it was a pain to try and suspend the webcam. I also wanted to try my hand at using a hidden support system which was fun but worked far less well then I thought it would. Thanks again.

jtoon
03-14-2005, 06:27 AM
Hello to all from Spain!
I'm watting the call from AM to complete the registration process becouse I choose Credit Card as a payment method.
Anyone Knows if the call is only in english or the'll talk in other lenguages too? In my home nobody understand english and I prefer to do the registration in spanish too if it's possible...

Thank you and I hope to see you in classes soon!

philippeduvin
03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Hello to all from Spain!
I'm watting the call from AM to complete the registration process becouse I choose Credit Card as a payment method.
Anyone Knows if the call is only in english or the'll talk in other lenguages too? In my home nobody understand english and I prefer to do the registration in spanish too if it's possible...

You should ask for a special phone appointment with Carlos :)

hey man the BB test is great !! Congrats ! :) I'm totally a newbie with stop mo and it freaks me out that you have to reshoot all over again to fix some frames. But i should do that one time to understand what a pain it must have been for Harryhausen to make a movie like "Jason..." or even the Aardman movies and realize how great it is to work with a tool such as a computer.

Man, you're making me jealous about the bonus dvd. It's gonna be release in France in the middle of APRIL !!

And about my rendering method about my lil BB animation test here :
http://www.youladesign.com/downloads/first_bounceball.mov

I have plenty of things to fix, such as the volume or the contact frame with the ground...I realized as im a newbie to maya too ( i used Max ), i worked on that scene at 30 fps and rendered it at 24 fps... so a lot of details just disappear :) Shame on me.
For the render, as I don't want to spend hours on the lighting set like i used to do before (One day, i woke up and patience with the rendering time has gone :) may be im too old for that)
So i used a simple preset with motion blur in mental ray, final gathering and a simple light to have a nice look. A maya expert told me to render everything in IFF and rebuild a .mov with After effects. That worked really well and i think I'm gonna use that rendering method
for a while.

This week end, I just saw the iron giant, and i loved that movie. It's so funny, the character staging is amazing and really original ( this times, as it's the chapter I just red in "Illusion...", I'm just obssesed with staging, posing...), the mix 2d/3d is great too and I'm startin to feel what the "Bird's touch" is.

I saw Brisby and the secret of Nihm too. It's dark, even the story is not made completely for kids but the animation and the color work was great.

hey guys about the incredibles, any favorites characters ? I just LOVED the lil old woman at the Bob's office and his boss is HUGE too :thumbsup:

Eyemagic
03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Hello to all from Spain!

Wow!!! Another spanish guy, just like me :eek: . Congrats guy, Now, I don't feel alone in the classes...(just joking:D ). See you there.

Hey! Hideandfreak, this test is awesome!. The stop motion animation always impress me. Congrats!

jtoon
03-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Eyematic!
Así q hay más españolitos por aquí! Genial!
Te han llamado ya? Tu crees q hablarán en español? Esque me temo q me pondré super nervioso hablando en inglés y no quiero cagarla! jajaja!

Gracias!

DonHuan
03-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Hello guys,

I have noticed the new release of Alias Motionbuilder 6, with the PLE - personal learning edition free for download.
New tools are coming on the surface for use by animators making their lives easier. Do you think we can take advantage of using new tools in AnimationMentor.com?

Eyemagic
03-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Eyematic!
Así q hay más españolitos por aquí! Genial!
Te han llamado ya? Tu crees q hablarán en español? Esque me temo q me pondré super nervioso hablando en inglés y no quiero cagarla! jajaja!

Gracias!

Yo es que voy a pagar mediante cheque, y tengo que enviar todos los papeles hoy, que sino no me llegan :scream:

En cuanto al tema del inglés, estoy como tu, super nervioso, por que entenderlo, estiendo lo suficiente, pero hablarlo, será casi prácticamente la primera vez...:eek: . Ya veremos en que queda esto.

Sorry for the "spanish offtopic" guys:bowdown:

AjaBogdanoff
03-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Nice BB, Modus! Very expressive! And that was your first shot at Maya? Nice!

If you find that using MR's Final Gather is taking too long, you can always try the fake GI lighting script called GI_Joe. It makes a sphere of directional lights around your scene, and can give you a nice soft look often for much less time. I go back and forth between GI_Joe and MR FG.

I made my own bouncin' balls yesterday.... this was so much fun! I can't wait for the real classes to begin! :drool:

http://eduvis.com/bouncin.mov

hqgamer
03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
did anyone requested to enter and not accepted ?
just wondering
anyone entered with no previous knowledgebase ( yeah i know they would accept students with no knowldg. but i want to know if there are so many requests that they have to kick students )

mgarward
03-14-2005, 02:55 PM
All these bouncing ball tests... (my only one was an old one at my website)... all you guys are playing before classes start! I'm trying to set up my new PC as fast as I can, waiting impatiently to get the student discount on Maya, and DESPERATELY wanting to play too!!! The excitement in this thread is just kinda radiating off the screen now.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif Can't wait can't wait can't wait...

tredeger
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Hmmm... how much is too much?

As of the time of this writing, this post:
Began: 06-04-2004 08:05 PM.
Replies: 3,545
Views: 204,543

For comparison, some of the forums:
News: 6,607 threads, 95,154 posts.
(This means that 3.7% of the posts in news are *in this thread*)
GD: 17,667 threads, 254,980 posts.
WIP/Critique Animation: 291 threads, 2,110 posts.
ZBrush:443 threads, 2,830 posts.
Character Rigging: 861 threads, 5,016 posts.

AM site launch was 02-17-05. This thread spans pages 128 to 165 for the several hours prior to the official launch. Counting from Bobby's post on page 165 to present page 237, fully 30% of the activity on this thread has occurred in the last 26 days. From page 128, it's 46%.
Of course, it's pretty impossible to catch up on this thread if you haven't been following all along. And of course, a fair bit of the thread is somewhat outdated anyhow. And I think a fair number of people here just enjoy seeing this thread grow BUT all this begs the question:

what does it take to get a dedicated forum around here? ;-)
I'm sure a lot of activity will move over to the AM site the day after launch. But the day of launch, there's going to be a ton of people voicing their enthusiasm on this thread (some 20 pages + or more) and thereafter a bunch of posts reporting the AM news to the rest of the world. Though, for the rest of the world (those not participating in AM the first term) might be better served by a fresh thread to follow these reports. Perhaps I'll have to start one? Though someone will surely beat me to it.
Gosh, I just realised, this isn't even a sticky thread. So Jason Osipa could go insane and delete it if he wanted to do so? Heh. Thus spawning a thousand "Where did the AM thread go" threads.
So my ponderance: Is there any support for 2 new threads on launch day? :

1. an unofficial roll call with 1 post per participant polling the following info: handle, location, medium, software, and some other miscellaneous stuff we can think of in the next week.
2. a thread allowing people to post running reviews of their experience for the benefit of those not in the program. Presumably, the tech support and class activity will take place on the AM site.

Airbrush
03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone

We are exactly a week away of the real launch.
See you in 12.583 posts.

(Otro loco más a la lista:)

Saludos

Jozvex
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
So my ponderance: Is there any support for 2 new threads on launch day? :

1. an unofficial roll call with 1 post per participant polling the following info: handle, location, medium, software, and some other miscellaneous stuff we can think of in the next week.
2. a thread allowing people to post running reviews of their experience for the benefit of those not in the program. Presumably, the tech support and class activity will take place on the AM site.

I would say number 1 should/will happen over on the AM forums. The only people that really care about who's attending is us, not the rest of the CG community of modellers and compositers etc.

Number 2 could be a good idea, but it's not "CG News" so maybe it should go in "General Discussion". Perhaps once we have the unofficial roll call finilazed we could make it the first post of thread number 2?

mmkelly011881
03-14-2005, 08:22 PM
If you find that using MR's Final Gather is taking too long, you can always try the fake GI lighting script called GI_Joe. It makes a sphere of directional lights around your scene, and can give you a nice soft look often for much less time. I go back and forth between GI_Joe and MR FG.

i know it's hard guys... but dont waste any time on lighting or texturing for bouncing ball tests

a playblast would be nice (and WAAAAY faster) with either timecode or frame numbers please
also.. this early in the game... its easier to crit orthographic views than perspective

AZL42
03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey guys,

I just got the credit card call...

She said she just got word that the start date is being pushed back to March 28th. Just wanted to pass the info along.

-Adam

Paul F Diaz
03-14-2005, 10:32 PM
"the start date is being pushed back to March 28th"

Yeah I just got the same credit card call and same info. I'm actually grateful, I can use the extra week:)

clockwerkz
03-14-2005, 10:34 PM
i know it's hard guys... but dont waste any time on lighting or texturing for bouncing ball tests

a playblast would be nice (and WAAAAY faster) with either timecode or frame numbers please
also.. this early in the game... its easier to crit orthographic views than perspective

Yeah really..and GI or imitating GI lighting for bouncing balls would be overkill! Hehehe.

Being pushed back to March 28? Oof.. oh well.. guess we all can wait one more week. It won't kill us. It would be nice if they can at least let us log on next week and familiarize ourselves with the interface and the website.
Well, this gives me one more week of World of Warcraft. I swore I'd close my account when AM started. :-)

cW

Update: You can add me on to the "just paid" list. I've never been so excited to plunker down 2 Gs!! Hehehe. AM has a very courteous staff. I know they're brand spankin' new..but jeeze, in contrast to the usual registration "wicked witch of the west" that I've had to deal with at other schools, AM is really kicking tail!

AZL42
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
You guys don't want HDRI bouncing balls? :eek:

Is adding frame #s a render option?

I'm still going to use cameras since camera moves and comp is new to me. I was a photojournalist, so I'm used to making the best of what's there rather then making what's there the best. Also going from composition for a still to movement is a significant cross-over.

Moving the start date frees me up for one thing and makes it harder for me for another. *shrugs* I'm just happy that my papers got there okay and I'm one step closer to starting.

Nitefyre
03-15-2005, 02:28 AM
I just have to add to the heaps of praise going to the registration staff. They are awesome and really quite nice (I haven't lost any body parts yet.) I'm currently working with a loan lender for tuition and things are going very smoothly and everyone at AM was happy to fulfill my strange requests. I was concerned with the time frame and getting it all done but all that stress is out the door with the extra week tagged on. Easiest regeistration staff to deal with than from any other org. I have had dealings with. So here's to the registration staff at AM!! :love:Your the best!!

So dont be afraid to call them with questions, they will answer them fully!!

Jozvex
03-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Hey cool! Orientation emails are coming through!

Time to get oriented...

vanlicht
03-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Is it okay if I modified/ tailored a script from some DVD tutorial and published it here? If it doesn't violate any law or something then i'd love to share a simple frame counting script for maya playblast.

======================
And the AM is to postpone the lauch for another week till 28th? Ah, bit a shame for me. I just gave up a short term in-house vfx training in my working studio, because I thought it'd confront the lauch date of AM. maybe that's the pattern our life works. Sometimes gotta chose which path to go instead of taking both.
=====================
Aja. B,
nice BB clip, love that, seems like parent n' child enteraction to me. Love the way u have that junior one morphs with spongy-like pliability.

andy_maxman
03-15-2005, 04:34 AM
hi guys,
dont come after me for compiling something which was talked about 10 pages back. this is just for our reference studies and thought it would help to share.

some of our favourite characters :

Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc
The Giant, Hogarth in the Iron Giant
the sisters in Belleville Rendez-vous
Genie from Aladdin
Beast from Beauty and the Beast
Dory
Scrat
Sully and Boo
Gromit from Wallace and Gromit
Dog from Belleville Rendez-vous
Timon (those hands!)
DAFFY DUCK
Duck Amuck
Jack Skellington from the Nightmare Before Christmas
Kronk and Isma in The Emperor's New Groove
Tarzan
Nausicaä from Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
Taeko from Only Yesterday
Billy in Billy's Balloon
Invader Zim and Gir
Lilo from Lilo & Stitch
Hopper from A Bug's Life

it's great to see you folks doing the BB tests. matt and hideandfreaks tests were pretty cool. kaveh's link seems to be down though. is there a mirror to it?

i hope summer students do get tipped on how to prepare for the classes from the spring students. cheers!
;-)andy

darkefire
03-15-2005, 04:40 AM
as much as i would like to boo the postponement of the launch class, it makes a lot of sense to me. they were really cutting it down to the wire for people to receive their student ID's and the means to order the edu version of Maya, the student discount webcams, etc. Not to mention people who are sending in their signed application forms from overseas. we all know there was a bit of a panic there.
this also gives me an extra week to receive my brand spankin new laptop!!:beer:

3FnD
03-15-2005, 05:44 AM
as excited as I am about the first day of school a later start is fine by me...I mean, I'm all in favor of less stress for everyone involved, like you guys in other countries.

Any other max users on these boards? I've been using max since it was Autodesk 3D Studio(TM) and I've only dabbled with the Maya PLE. We get the Maya student discount but I'm wondering do I need the Unlimited version or Complete? I was thinking of maybe getting Unlimited sometime in the future if I need/want other features.

What's everyone else's thoughts/plans?

Finally, the journeyed.com description for Maya says it's a "perpetual" license. What does that mean exactly?

fluffybunny
03-15-2005, 05:53 AM
We get the Maya student discount but I'm wondering do I need the Unlimited version or Complete? I was thinking of maybe getting Unlimited sometime in the future if I need/want other features.

What's everyone else's thoughts/plans?

my knowledge is limited, but from a few things I've read, I've decided to only go for the complete at this time...just to save a few bucks.
There seems to be debate as to whether the Fur/Cloth/Hair/Fluid/Live is really worth the extra $$. I would guess that the difference in student price is so minimal that it is, but for the full version it sounds like there are cheaper plugins that do better....but I'm just parroting what I've heard.
The one thing that I might eventually like about Unlimited is the higher number of distributed licenses. I kind of assume that all the same features are in the student edition, so if you have a handful of extra PCs laying around then you can use them to be more productive.

that's my narrow viewpoint and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

eric

AZL42
03-15-2005, 06:28 AM
When I first got Maya I wanted to know and use every single feature. Now that I'm not a complete newbie I realize that there are only maybe a handful of features that are important and the rest are distractions.

So basically get complete not unlimited.

PS. I'm so happy Google's toolbar (beta) has spell check...now I can finally stop copying and pasting into word and messing up all the formatting.

hideandfreak
03-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Just got done reading the orientation .pdf. Built in frame counters for the mentors . . . is there anything you guys didn't think of? I have been to countless orientations for all sorts of events and this is the only one where I was depressed when I got to the last page of the orientation booklet. Great stuff guys, can't wait till class starts.

Kimotion
03-15-2005, 07:18 AM
OK, I've just finished reading the Orientation.

Got a question: They state that animation is done at 24fps. However, video is 30fps. Most studios still want VHS tapes for demo reels. So what's the best way to convert a 24fps Maya file into a 30fps file to output to tape?

I know in AfterEffects and in Premier (I think), you can just import your rendered images, and then convert it to 30fps, but I heard there is skipping sometimes. I also heard that one doesn't even have to do that and just output whatever you got into Tape and it the timing would be just find. However, I heard that the quality is drastically reduced.

I'm confused and feel dumb.

I'm sure this issue will be addressed somewhere down the road, but I'm curious.

Im2Dguy
03-15-2005, 07:51 AM
darn long thread.

Now I know what an Armaverse armature is.

I think the answer to an earlier post is to start blogging.
I spotted some blogs started by some fellow AM students
in anticipation of classes, and I intened on starting one as well...

That first week I'm going to have to bust on Maya,
I barely know how to open the program.
Maybe my first projects will need to be in Flash...

Best of luck to everyone..

2DGuy

AKS
03-15-2005, 08:56 AM
So I realize that it's probably good in the long run and it seems like most people need the extra time, but ARGH!!! I want it to start next week!!

It's really just b/c I dan't know what to do with myself until then. I've been working on an animation which I am coming to realize is more complicated than I should be doing right now and I feel like I should just put it on hold for a while and learn how to do it right here in a week (or 2). But it's so hard to just put all this on hold...........

Oh well. I'd rather it happen later and better than sooner and full of issues.....

maybe I'll join in the ball frenzy...

maelstrom
03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
my knowledge is limited, but from a few things I've read, I've decided to only go for the complete at this time...just to save a few bucks.
There seems to be debate as to whether the Fur/Cloth/Hair/Fluid/Live is really worth the extra $$. I would guess that the difference in student price is so minimal that it is, but for the full version it sounds like there are cheaper plugins that do better....but I'm just parroting what I've heard.
The one thing that I might eventually like about Unlimited is the higher number of distributed licenses. I kind of assume that all the same features are in the student edition, so if you have a handful of extra PCs laying around then you can use them to be more productive.

that's my narrow viewpoint and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

eric

i'm pretty seasoned on Maya, and the only two unlimited Features i feel worth the upgrade are Hair (which i think is awesome and has a myriad of creative uses) and Fluid. Cloth is clumsy (Syflex does this better), Fur can be done easier with Shave and a Haircut and Maya Live is decent if you don't use an external tracker. If you stick strictly on character animation, Complete is good enough.

Rabid pitbull
03-15-2005, 01:46 PM
I just read the pdf, glad that they sent this out. Unfourtunately I have already scheduled a vacation after the first term ends, this is gonna throw things off a bit. I can benifit from another week to get ready though, my kitchen and bathroom are being remodeled now and it may be done by then. Less distractions is good!

Also I appreciate the feedback on the maya versions. I am likely to go with complete as well. Now I read somewhere maybe here that after one year the edu version is invalid? Does it stop working or just stops being supported?

Thanks,
James

AjaBogdanoff
03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm jonesin' for another installment of "F5" during the delay. ;)

The waaiiiiiiting is the haaardest part.... ;)

3FnD
03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Kimotion

You gotta run 24fps through After Effects or something to convert it to 30fps. The difference in speed is noticeable and if you have any audio it's gonna lose sync. All these tech details are covered well in the book Creating Motion Graphics in After Effects.

Another thing about working at 24fps is that it looks more "movie" like. That's why HD cameras used for feature films are run at 24fps.

I suppose AM wants 24fps because that's the traditional frame rate. Not only that (and you already know this but it's worth repeating) 24fps=fewerframes=lessdata=faster up/downloads. Oh, and someone said somewhere, if your drawing your frames it's less work.

mgarward
03-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh, and someone said somewhere, if your drawing your frames it's less work.
10 fps was hard enough by hand when I was doing my animation class at the local community college! 'course, I can't draw... :)

AKS
03-15-2005, 09:24 PM
worst comes to worst (it's a pain) but you can always change your frame-rate in Maya once you've finalized your animation (it'll adjust the keys accordingly) and re-render for video. It's a pain, but if your planning on sending your reel out just on video could be worth it.

Magenta_
03-15-2005, 10:10 PM
[Hello to all from Spain!
]

I was called by Luis Guillen to arrange the payment thing, and he speaks spanish clearly so don´t worry about it, i guess they thought speaking your leanguage would make it easier and it does!

trydberg
03-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Finally, the journeyed.com description for Maya says it's a "perpetual" license. What does that mean exactly? Now I read somewhere maybe here that after one year the edu version is invalid? Does it stop working or just stops being supported? I did the student license thing for Maya a while back through JourneyEd. At the time, the way it worked was the license would expire after a year and then I needed to repurchase Maya, usually a newer version. You can also check with Alias to see if they will let you apply the amount of your student license toward the purchase of Maya.

- Tom

Guiliguili
03-16-2005, 01:45 AM
For those who are waiting (like me) the marvelous incredible double DVD of The INCREDIBLES, here an interesting link

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14824

Manta
03-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I was called by Luis Guillen to arrange the payment thing, and he speaks spanish clearly so don´t worry about it, i guess they thought speaking your leanguage would make it easier and it does!

That's great!. Another spanish animator here. I hope my english will be good enough for the classes. I'll be in the summer term, so I can't wait for your first comments about all. Regards.

Eyemagic
03-16-2005, 08:00 AM
That's great!. Another spanish animator here. I hope my english will be good enough for the classes. I'll be in the summer term, so I can't wait for your first comments about all. Regards.

Hey Jose Maria, I'm Ernesto from Cole 3D ;). I'm glad to see another spanish guy in Animation Mentor.

Are you planning to use Animation Master, or another program? Just I'm curious.

See you there :wavey:

Guiliguili
03-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi, all

This message is about the internet connection between me and AnimationMentor.
I am afraid about this.

Here in Tahiti I only have a 128 kb/s connection. The Tahitian Post call it an ADSL connection.

Currently, when I try to look at the demo on the site (Sneak peek of classes, interview of Eric Goldberg, etc…) I have to wait to see all the video.
When I click on some button to download a clip, the computer put some data in the buffer, then plays the beginning of the video. But it plays more faster the frames that the downloading. So very soon the player stops, wait, restarts, plays…..
It's very difficult to understand and to follow what is said and showed in the video.
Hopefully there is a buffer and at the end I can play all the video and it's more easy to understand.
So this is for the 5 shorts video clips which are currently on the AnimationMentor site.
My question is : will I get the same difficulties with the classes ?

Even if the connection is better because each student as his own video stream, I note in the Orientation.pdf file that it's impossible to stop the classes.
So if I get 5 seconds of video, must wait 10 seconds, get 5 new seconds of video… how long it will take to try to see and understood the all lesson ?
And if I understand well, not only we can't pause but also we can't play again ?
If I am right I think that it's impossible to understand the lesson.

May be I am to much worried and things will be more easy.

Have any one of you the same difficulties as me ?

Thanks

AjaBogdanoff
03-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Try this bandwidth meter and let us know what it says. It asks for your area code and internet provider, just make something up. It isn't relevant to the test.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_meter/7004-7254_7-0.html

animeishon
03-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello everybody,

Long time lurker here and well first time poster.

I understand that you need to have a high school diploma or equivalent but if I don't have one can I still apply or did my dream bubble just burst already?

Thanks

P.S. I emailed AM about it but no reply, they're probably busy I guess!!

AjaBogdanoff
03-16-2005, 02:20 PM
You need to have graduated from high school, or the equivalent level of schooling in your country. It's a requirement set by their state government, I think.

And yes, I bet they are extraordinarily busy right now! :)

Manta
03-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey Jose Maria, I'm Ernesto from Cole 3D. I'm glad to see another spanish guy in Animation Mentor.
Are you planning to use Animation Master, or another program? Just I'm curious. See you there

Hi Ernesto.
I'm also glad to be with you in this amazing trip. Well, I guess I will use Maya because I don't want to spend too much time adapting the rigs they provide. In the other side, I think I'll do the shortfilm in Animation Master but it's too early for that. Maybe we could do some paellas for the guys and gals from the AnimationMentor community. What do you think?

swadepgh
03-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Has anyone gotten an idea of who their mentor will be or is that something we won't find out until we log in for registration/orientation?

philippeduvin
03-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Has anyone gotten an idea of who their mentor will be or is that something we won't find out until we log in for registration/orientation?

AM called me to told me that John Lasseter was completely OK to be my mentor :bounce:

hey guys...kidding of course.. :scream:

stewartjones
03-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Do we get to choose at all? It don't bother me either way, just wondering.

Oh, just another bump for this too, but Bobby is talking 'live' tonight. Here are the times, and link;

1.00am - 17th March (GMT)
8.00pm - 16th March (EST)
5.00pm - 16th March (PST)

@ - http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp

Hope to catch some of you guys in there! :thumbsup:

Guiliguili
03-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Try this bandwidth meter and let us know what it says. It asks for your area code and internet provider, just make something up. It isn't relevant to the test.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_m...4-7254_7-0.html

Thanks for the link Aja.B.

Here the results : not terrific !

101.6 Kbps - You http://reviews.cnet.com/i/is/you.gif 101.6 kbps
http://reviews.cnet.com/b.gif

AjaBogdanoff
03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah... that is kind of a problem. Here at work I get 2869.2 Kbps, and at home I get about 1600 Kbps. I wouldn't consider either one of my connections "really fast".

philippeduvin
03-16-2005, 04:14 PM
hey jason, are you gonna be on the BOOm chat ? :)

jschleifer
03-16-2005, 04:18 PM
not that I know of! besides, I wouldn't be able to add anything to it.. mr boom himself is the MAN! He Shawn and Carlos are the masterminds behind this whole thing, I'm just along for the ride! :)

and what a sweeeeet ride it's going to be!

-jason

stewartjones
03-16-2005, 04:29 PM
not that I know of! besides, I wouldn't be able to add anything to it.. mr boom himself is the MAN! He Shawn and Carlos are the masterminds behind this whole thing, I'm just along for the ride! :)

and what a sweeeeet ride it's going to be!

-jason

I think you should join the chat tonight to give Bobby some moral support! hehe!

After all, u did for Barry!!! hehe!

---

Another week to wait guys, not long!!! :bounce:

super_mouse
03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
So when we finish the course when can't use Maya anymore and have to pay the remaining £1800?

Can't wait for the 28th :bounce: I've stocked up my supplies of animation paper, and made sure my comp is in working order!!

philippeduvin
03-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I think I'll not be there for the chat, but if someone can ask Bobby ...dont you miss Pixar a lil bit ? :)

super_mouse
03-16-2005, 05:12 PM
HAha already on my list of questions:) umm has anyone been asked to pay for the course using credit card via email?? I thought we going to receive a phone call, is sending my credit card info in an email safe??

mjSoft
03-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Have everybody recived their Student ID? I havent recived it yet. Guess I have to wait a little longer...

stewartjones
03-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Have everybody recived their Student ID? I havent recived it yet. Guess I have to wait a little longer...

I dont think anyone has as of yet. We will probably get them closer to the opening time, or when everyone has sent back their paper work, and payed up!:)

havoc21
03-16-2005, 05:59 PM
i was contacted via phone for credit card info. i would be leary about any email requests for credit card info. i would call the school first

bobbyc
03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
I dont think anyone has as of yet. We will probably get them closer to the opening time, or when everyone has sent back their paper work, and payed up!:)

just got the student ID ... :) time.. 11:01am

stewartjones
03-16-2005, 06:07 PM
just got the student ID ... :) time.. 11:01am

U already payed and stuff dude?

bobbyc
03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
U already payed and stuff dude?

yeah... by check ... was saving up for a while :)

PixelTales
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM

I just got mine! Yippee! :bounce: The sending email address was a really long strange one. I called Rosie just to double check, and it was right. Did anyone else have this happen? She said it's because the student ID emails where generated by some sort of automated process, and that is why the address looks strange.

If you haven't gotten yours yet you might want to try checking your spam folder, maybe it got sent there. If not, just be patient I'm sure it's on its way. :thumbsup:

Now all I have to do is decide if I want to use my real name or Pixeltales as my screen name. What is everyone else planning to do?

monstersauce
03-16-2005, 06:46 PM
woohoo!!!
I got mine too :bounce::bounce:

thanks for the tip PixelTales, the email was in my junk folder!
I can't wait to get in there and start checkin it out!!

Regarding the name, Bentllama had mentioned using his real name as his user name and using his Bentllama handle somewhere in his signature...
I do believe I shall do a similar thing :D

mgarward
03-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Regarding the name, Bentllama had mentioned using his real name as his user name and using his Bentllama handle somewhere in his signature...
I do believe I shall do a similar thing :D
Well, assuming we can choose it ourselves... I'll probably go with MattG there... it's easier to say & spell.:) I agree with using something like our real names though, for whatever exposure it may offer.

clockwerkz
03-16-2005, 07:08 PM
I just recieved my student number as well. I logged in and set up my account! Woot!

cW

philippeduvin
03-16-2005, 08:44 PM
did you guys who just got their ID have payed or get the credit card phone call already ? Because I still waiting for mine...cant wait !

hideandfreak
03-16-2005, 08:52 PM
did you guys who just got their ID have payed or get the credit card phone call already ? Because I still waiting for mine...cant wait !

Yes, I had got the credit card call yesteryday and got the student ID mail today. The email message states:

"Please ignore the “We will contact you…” prompt as we have already received and successfully processed your tuition payment. "

So I would assume they send it out only after collecting payment for at least the first class (and registration).

Paul F Diaz
03-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Has anybody had any problem loggin in, for some reason I keep getting "processing" and nothing happens.:shrug:

immerzeelpictures
03-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Has anybody purchased the student version of Maya at JourneyEd?
And does it apply to European Students.
I have received my Student ID (and have set up my account at AM). What is the Proof of Enrollment?
Do I have to show them our secret handshake :)

I ask this, because Alias is kind of anal about buying from local resellers/online stores. Cannot even access the American online store at Alias. Have to use a Euro currency shop.

@Paul: Just be patient I don't think they have let anybody enter the student section yet.

BTW I will be 'pascal' at AM.

Bentagon
03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Has anybody had any problem loggin in, for some reason I keep getting "processing" and nothing happens.:shrug:I don't think you have to login yet... you first have to register with that student ID... have you done that? **edit** just noticed you were trying to do just that, because you wouldn't have a password otherwise... foolish me :blush:

see y'all tonight!

- Benjamin

mmkelly011881
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Has anybody had any problem loggin in, for some reason I keep getting "processing" and nothing happens.:shrug:

I'm getting the same thing Paul

clockwerkz
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Yeah, we're all pretty much getting that. I e-mailed Rosie and asked about that, and I'm still waiting to get word. But if we're all experiencing it, then it's a good bet that it's just the system. I think that it's locking us out so that we don't get into the site prematurely. :-)

cW

Afr_CG
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
same "problem" as Matt and Paul over here :sad:

skwigly
03-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Who: Bobby "Boom" Beck (animation mentor founder)

Where: http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp (http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp)

When:

1.00am (GMT) - 17th March
8.00pm (EST) - 16th March
5.00pm (PST) - 16th March

THE ROOM IS ALREADY FILLING UP! 100 limit!

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Good seeing so many of you there!

Bobby was awesome, and sorry if some questions went a-miss, but there was SOOOO many!

I can't wait for Animation Mentor now!!! :applause:

kenshi
03-17-2005, 01:23 AM
thanks for letting us be a part of the Bobby BOOM chat. he answered a lot of questions i had. the transcript of the chat will be saved on the skwigly forum http://www.biganimation.com/forum (http://www.biganimation.com/forum) from what i understand.

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 01:25 AM
thanks for letting us be a part of the Bobby BOOM chat. he answered a lot of questions i had. the transcript of the chat will be saved on the skwigly forum http://www.biganimation.com/forum (http://www.biganimation.com/forum) from what i understand.

Sure is right dude!

Awesome chat, Bobby is the MAN!!!

Bentagon
03-17-2005, 01:31 AM
to quote the incredibles:

THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!

- Benjamin

FUG1T1VE
03-17-2005, 01:45 AM
I have received my Student ID (and have set up my account at AM). What is the Proof of Enrollment?

I ask this, because Alias is kind of anal about buying from local resellers/online stores. Cannot even access the American online store at Alias. Have to use a Euro currency shop.

@Paul: Just be patient I don't think they have let anybody enter the student section yet.

I got mine from Studica, I sent out a photocopy of the student ID card. My school doesnt even teach maya, but they just want to verify that you are a student, you can also send them a copy of the email where you are accepted to AM and where you enrolled for clases, from what I understand.

AZL42
03-17-2005, 01:57 AM
The highlights (IMHO) from the chat with Bobby Beck

(some quotes and some paraphrases)

On how he works: “Stepped keys for a LONG LONG LONG time and then breakdowns!!! For a LONG LONG LONGER time and then ease outs/ in's and then I work through stratight ahead.”
“I like to block one key to the next and then do breakdowns, and when I'm happy I go through the shot straight ahead and work it out, but the foundation is already there.”

On the hierarchy of animation (in order): “Animator, Lead animator, supervising animator, directing animator, director!”

On the most important thing: Having balance in life!

“Balance in your life as an artist. You have to step away from animation from time to time to get better. Even though that's probably every HARD to understand it will make sense to you one day soon, young jedi. :)”

On his learning animation: magenta, Rob Coleman (Supervisor at ILM) told me to focus on character animation if I want to be an animator. Don't model, light texture etc. Just animate. He even went on to say "learn one program and just go for it!" When he told me this that is what I knew I had to do!

On Timing: Timing is all about expression this is full on true! Every situation is totally different and a lot of it comes from planning and research!
But you have to get FEEDBACK on your work to double/triple check yourself to make sure it feels right and true.

On Acting: “I've taken several classes for "Animators" and always think they are too ‘ZEN’ for me. Acting/animation is about life and what is around you and caricaturing it and making it into something special. After you do it for a while this aspect of it starts to make REAL sense and you step back from animated movies and you start to just take in performances and think ‘WHY WAS THAT MOVING?’”

On progressing in animation: “Animation is about basics first, then it's about putting that into action, then it becomes more about stepping back and not "animating" at all it become about experimenting

It's when you start experimenting that things become clear.”

On planning: "spend half your time planning and the other half animating."

On a difficult scene: “Challenging scene was in Nemo at the end where Dory realizes that nemo is NEMO. Andrew stanton gave me great freedom in creating that piece of film and for that I will be forever thankful. It just about killed me as the staging , performance were all up to me and it was such a special moment that I couldn't help but think a 100 time ‘I'm gonna screw this up!’”

On Motion Capture: Motion capture is fine. I think people are starting to realize it's place in the animation world. It's too "HYPER REAL" and gives a specific look that works great for PHOTOREAL stuff, but not animated characters.

On animating characters: (paraphrased) Bringing characters to life is about becoming that character …it’s what keeps you coming back

On listening to music: I listened to a lot of Luis Prima and James Brown on Monsters INC.

On Breakdowns: Breakdowns are the ANIMATION drawings. They are perhaps the MOST important drawing... haa haa, no, your KEYs are the most important but your Breakdowns tell HOW you get from one pose to the next. They are absolutely KEY.

On being given storyboards and planning: I always come up with ideas first then go to the boards to see if they came up with better ideas. Most of the time they do. Haa haa.!

On what beginners do wrong: They don't put enough thought into it. They just go for it. Also they don't understand the basics and they try to do an acting/dialogue shot.

If you understand the basics the rest starts to come naturally.

textureyes
03-17-2005, 02:33 AM
thanks a lot for that breakdown azl42
the chat was at 9am here in Taiwan.
I was on my way to work.
when i got to work the room was full.
when i did get in Boom had left... ha ha

I got my student ID. Cant acess the site yet ( i understand others cant as well yet )

ive been tinkering with animation for a while now... but feel i have soooo much to learn...
and thats the best bit..

see you all in there soon ( i hope )

andy_maxman
03-17-2005, 04:12 AM
apart from animation, what else was put forth to him?

3FnD
03-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Just a reminder for everyone trying to get into the am site, newsletter 4.52 said

"11. Students will not have access to the student area until the first day of their class."

I didn't get my ID yet so I haven't tried the site out.

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 10:11 AM
apart from animation, what else was put forth to him?

There were a number of questions regarding Animation Mentor. David (Skwigly Editor) will have the full chat posted up, and I will give you guys the link incase you missed it. I missed some, and I was there!!! :)

Bobby has me super fired up for this now though. A week is SOOOO long away! :D

Makomako
03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah vyntax you're right, the more closer it becomes the more excited i am...
I'm still waiting rosie's call to get my ID....
I hope she won't call me on St Patrick's night lol!

AjaBogdanoff
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
One of the cool bits of news from the chat last night is that mentors will be assigned to us partially based on time zones! As much as I'd love to work with the cool folks on the other side of the globe, none of y'all want to videoconference with me at 3 o'clock in the morning! :scream:

textureyes
03-17-2005, 03:41 PM
most of my chatting will have to be done at 3 am with everyone anyway i think. not many of us in this time zome compared to US and Europe. (Taiwan)
Also i work, so i will have to either do it evening or very early morning.
and in the morning I can hardly hold a cup of coffee let alone type a usfull conversation.
Wonder who of the tutors will be able to chat at a resonable time for us?
too many questions... cant wait.... but have to...
hope they can post the whole of that chat room session soon.
Is everyone still doing bouncing balls?
or has everyone developed into full multiple character story ideas already?

molson67
03-17-2005, 03:51 PM

I too am waiting for the proof of Enrollment so that I can order Maya Student version. I have emailed AnimationMentor.com asking for the proof, (on Wednesday 1:55pm MST). They have not replied yet. They must be very busy. I guess I just have to wait...feels like forever.

Mark

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Man if I wanted to buy the student version, I have to pay for the price, pay for postage, and then pay for tax, and I know tax is expensive. God dammit. :cry:

Im2Dguy
03-17-2005, 06:18 PM
hey.
thanks for the chat info.
Pretty exiting.
How many people do you think of the 100 were AM students?
Got my webcam set up and I'm ready to go.

This weekend I need to set up my blog.
I hope to put animation in progress work up there.

Best wishes to all.
See you there.

3FnD
03-17-2005, 06:20 PM
one of the early newsletters said Alias wouldn't allow using the PLE or something like that. Anyone heard anything new about that?

I couldn't make the Boom chat...is it posted somewhere now? Searching back through this thread as well.

Thanks

Magenta_
03-17-2005, 07:13 PM
hola!

Me confundí y le envié el correo a otra persona, perdí tu dirección de correo y olvidé tu nick, lo lamento, ayer estaba muy cansada, lo bueno es que puedes ver la charla en esta dirección http://www.biganimation.com/forum (http://www.biganimation.com/forum), como ya has podido leer en mensajes anteriores, bueno saludos y espero verte pronto.

i lost your email adress and forgot your nick, i ended sending it to another classmate, i´m sorry! :D , it calms me down you can see the chat at http://www.biganimation.com/forum (http://www.biganimation.com/forum) as i guess you already read some posts before this one. Hope to see you soon

Manta
03-17-2005, 07:37 PM
i lost your email adress and forgot your nick, i ended sending it to another classmate, i´m sorry! :D , it calms me down you can see the chat at http://www.biganimation.com/forum (http://www.biganimation.com/forum) as i guess you already read some posts before this one. Hope to see you soon

Hi. Don't worry about that. I see the chat was really inspiring and amazing. It was a pleasure to talk with you yesterday and, as I said, feel free to contact me about anything. I also hope to see you soon. Take care!

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Could someone do me a HUGE favor?

I sent my applications via UPS, but they have delivered them to the wrong place. :banghead: I need to know if it will be alright for my papers to be a little late (UPS have stated that they will be there tomorrow, but I dont trust them at all now). If someone could call the office for me I would be forever in your debt.

I have tried calling myself but I just can't get thru, and I can't work it out. This is the number I'm trying - 011 1 510 809 1177 (I have tried a combination, with no luck what so ever), if this is wrong then let me know (I'm in the UK BTW). :cry:

Oh, and I've tried E-Mailing, but I can't get a response, and I'm starting to freak out. I know the date has been pushed back, but I am still on hot bricks here.

Thanks so much in advance.

-Stu

clockwerkz
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey vntax, I spoke with Luis. All is well. There shouldn't be a problem with them recieving it tomorrow. :)

cW

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey vntax, I spoke with Luis. All is well. There shouldn't be a problem with them recieving it tomorrow. :)

cW

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. :bowdown:

I appreciate it so much.

Parlo
03-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Stu,

I wouldn't panic, from what I understand the week delay is for this reason so have a cup of tea and start breathing slowly again. I got my call today, and won't be completing payment until tomorrow so the old deadline of the 17th is definately not a brick wall. I used royal mail's airsure service, and although their tracking service says my package hasn't left the UK yet - it arrived at AM yesterday. I love British efficiency I do. :P

trydberg
03-17-2005, 11:08 PM
I have tried calling myself but I just can't get thru, and I can't work it out. This is the number I'm trying - 011 1 510 809 1177 (I have tried a combination, with no luck what so ever), if this is wrong then let me know (I'm in the UK BTW).

Hey Stu,

I think the number from the UK would be 001 510 809 1177, after checking www.countrycallingcodes.com (http://www.countrycallingcodes.com).

- Tom :)

stewartjones
03-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Hey Stu,

I think the number from the UK would be 001 510 809 1177, after checking www.countrycallingcodes.com (http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/).

- Tom :)

Cheers dude, I will check tomorrow and see if my stuff got there. It better, or I will personally shoot down UPS planes in the future! hehe!!!

Kenny_Rocks
03-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I only paid a couple of quid to send my documents normal Air Mail. AM got them the other day. With the money I have saved on postage I've managed to buy a webcam off Ebay !!

All I gotta do now is pay the tuition fees..
Which keeps getting Declined !! WTF !!
My bank says that the transaction should go ahead but it isn't
Hope it can get sorted tmrw, before I spend all the money on a weekend bender !!

:twisted:

There's also a signed Zakk Wylde guitar on Ebay atm that is calling me !!
Hurry up AM and take my money before I spend it !!

Kimotion
03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrraaaaaaaah!

I can't WAIT for AM to start. Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves occasionally checking back at the AM site just to remind themselves how cool it's gonna be?

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Everytime i realize there is one week left to start I feel like doing backflips :bounce:

oh by the way guys , I see another sleepless sunday for us up ahead , just to see who will log in first to animator mentor upon launch. So keep those F5 keys in mint condition! :D

Kimotion
03-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Everytime i realize there is one week left to start I feel like doing backflips :bounce:

oh by the way guys , I see another sleepless sunday for us up ahead , just to see who will log in first to animator mentor upon launch. So keep those F5 keys in mint condition! :D

So will it be at 12 am Monday morning?

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 04:23 AM
So will it be at 12 am Monday morning?

I have no idea , I guess we'll find out :)

andy_maxman
03-18-2005, 04:31 AM
i dont know why....but i just wanna say......

js is so religious about this thread.....makes me feel nice just by seeing his name down in the active members in this thread.....

*feelsBetter*

jschleifer
03-18-2005, 04:37 AM
haha :) yeah.. every time I get an email about there being a new message I have to come check it out.. if I don't, then the next time I do there will be 5 pages of stuff to go through!!!

:)

3FnD
03-18-2005, 06:39 AM
AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrraaaaaaaah!

I can't WAIT for AM to start. Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves occasionally checking back at the AM site just to remind themselves how cool it's gonna be?

Every time I go back to the site it's the same thing...cooler than ess! And we're not even in the student area yet. Not that I need a reminder.

And when I got the phone call for cc info Bobby was in the background asking about something. It all seem so close now!

That got me thinking about how mentors are assigned. Do the mentors get to chose their padawan? is it random?

Oh, by the way other Spring students...we are the trailblazers, the first ever! How cool is that?

AZL42
03-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey Jason, well like you said to Keith, you need something to do during your renders. I keep seeing you lurking here, I also was wondering if you were working:-) If you can, tell some of the other mentors to get in here, haven't heard from but a couple of them.

3FnD, Boom said it'd be by time-zone and mentor's choice. Ohhh Jason! pick me! pick me!

It'd be in the chat transcript if that's posted.

Adam

3FnD
03-18-2005, 07:02 AM
well, I meant besides the time-zones. wait, does that mean mentor's time-zone or mentees'? Aren't there a lot of mentors in the PST zone?

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 07:04 AM
mentors assigned by time zone ?? :scream: is there an european mentor ?? or french one ? ...i dont want a french one !! I want an american one who's working in the biggie studios :bounce:

AZL42
03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
If you look at the list of mentors you really can't loose. Maybe they just mean they'll put students who are in the same time-zone together so everyone will be able to make it at the same time and not have 12 difference time conflicts with work. (I actually work the night shift so that's not really true for me, but my schedule is very flexible).

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 10:19 AM
The BOOM transcript is there !! :bounce:
http://www.biganimation.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1439#

jono338
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
WhaaHa! When I got home today there was a message on the machine from Kelly from Animation Mentor to do my payment thing. I'll be up extra early tomorrow to make that call! Wow, you think by this stage a little of the excitement would have worn off. Not on your Nellie! I never been so pleased to get a message. And not even really concerned I wasn't here to take the call ... well a little. Up to this point it's been all emails and newsletters and online applications. Now there's a real live person involved, it's real!

What a hoot!

AZL42
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Here's the quote (fixed for typos) I was trying to think of but didn't copy at the time of the chat:

On the biggest thing people will get from AM: There is so much involved in AnimationMentor that it's hard to say. I think getting training from the world's top animators is pretty key. Learning and picking their brains and getting solid HELPFUL feedback is amazing. Plus some of the classes are taught by people we have not announced yet, so there about 1000 things that we have not announced yet. :)

andy_maxman
03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
that transcript is pure treat...can feel the energy even though i was not there..
thanks a ton man...

Rikki
03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Haven't posted here in a while, but I'm on the course too. My registration stuff should hopefully be getting there today.

Nice to see plenty of fellow Brits there too :thumbsup:

sinbad
03-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah I wonder how many brits have signed up? There seems to be a good range of nations represented here, which is fantastic. It just proves how small the world has become with the advent of the internet. If only we could tell the Bush administration that...:D (ok steer away from THAT topic.)

Anyway, I'm a Zimbabwean born, South African raised Brit, so I represent THREE countries! (This makes supporting rugby & cricket somewhat confusing).

Hey Jason, well like you said to Keith, you need something to do during your renders. I keep seeing you lurking here, I also was wondering if you were working:-) If you can, tell some of the other mentors to get in here, haven't heard from but a couple of them.

3FnD, Boom said it'd be by time-zone and mentor's choice. Ohhh Jason! pick me! pick me!

I understand what you mean. I remember JS giving me a crit in the airport lounge on the way back to New Zealand from sunny Teeside (Animex) where I met him a couple of years ago. What a nice guy! Anyway, with a different mentor for each class, we should get to chat to a good range of professionals. Darn, and I have to wait until June!:sad:

PixelTales
03-18-2005, 12:38 PM
The BOOM transcript is there !! :bounce:
http://www.biganimation.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1439#

When I click on the link I get the following message: "Either the feature is disabled, or you do not have sufficient permission." Does this mean to read the transcript I have to register? If so are there any mirrors for the link?

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I've put it on my server, so here's the link :

DELETED

Enjoy !! :)

Thirdman
03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Blimey how did I miss this thread, I'm another Brit and all signed up and ready to go, just got my student ID yesterday.
It's great to find somewhere buzzing with as much excitement as I feel right now.

Only ten days to go!

AjaBogdanoff
03-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Woo! I'm all paid up!

I'm kind of getting a kick out of all these small steps and delays on the road to starting classes.... Every time I get an email or a phone call from AM, I get all excited all over again! It really prolongs the magic, you know?

You only start animation school for the first time once! :D

sinbad
03-18-2005, 01:35 PM
When I click on the link I get the following message: "Either the feature is disabled, or you do not have sufficient permission." Does this mean to read the transcript I have to register? If so are there any mirrors for the link?

yes, It wont let you download the transcript until you register, but regisration is free and only requires a username and password. You need to respond to the e-mail to confirm registration.:)

skwigly
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Hmm... I didn't remember saying you can put it on your server? Isn't that alittle unfair when we make the effort to provide you some good material and great live interview?

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Hmm... I didn't remember saying you can put it on your server?

Oh im sorry, i thought it was just unavailable on your website and just wanted to share it with everyone..:shrug:

Let me kick the file out..:)

skwigly
03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
For saying sorry...i'll let you keep it.

But can you edit the file to include the website link? www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp (http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp)?

Cheers
David

Manta
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Talking about the time zone... Does anyone know how many mentors are working actually in Europe?

stewartjones
03-18-2005, 03:01 PM
UPS LOST MY DOCUMENTS. :banghead:

Man, I have had such a stressful day. FedEx'd more of them out. Bobby says it's alright if they get them next week :bowdown: I owe that guy a beverage.

God damn, someone buy me a pint!:argh:

AjaBogdanoff
03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
As far as I can tell, the mentors are pretty much all living in CA. However, there are probably some that like to stay up late, and some that like to get their work done at 9am. So I'm guessing that's what they mean by "time zone".

Man, Vyntax, that's some bad luck!!! UPS is pretty hit-and-miss here, too... heck, all of the delivery services are. Tell them they owe you a pint! :D

Parlo
03-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Personally, I find the idea of things being dictated by timezone slightly worrying. Knowing that this course was based in Cal, despite being an international endeavour, I was more than prepared for the necessity of regular late night sessions. Living in the Uk and working with both clients and collaborative projects in other countries, I'm used to the fact that my sleep patterns aren't going to be entirely conventional. In many ways I work better like that - to me dark and still late nights are the best times for concentration and progression. It's very difficult to dawdle when you have consciously decided to stay up and work at 2am! So, bring on those late nights is what I say!

I suppose other timezones (the -GMT ones) have a different kind of problem. We'll just have to see how all this pans out. I've got mental images of Q&A sessions where half the students are wearing pyjamas and nursing a hot cup of cocoa. :)

Im2Dguy
03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
sorry to hear about all the UPS woes from Europe.
The extra week was a good thing.
What have people been doing to prepare for class??

I finally got my web camera up and running yesterday.
I've also been reading up in Animator's Survival Kit.
This weekend I have to go through some interface basic in Maya.

Im2Dguy :bounce:

3FnD
03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
I second the comment that no matter what mentor you "get" you can't go wrong! They're all gonna be great because they all know more than we do. I'm not worried about it.

Time-zone thing, even though I'm in CA, my hours are all over the place and if it was necessary to be conferencing with a mentor at 3pm or 3am I could make it happen.

Just got done reading the chatranscript, awesome, thanks for posting that!

skwigly
03-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Dudes, we are all AM crazy -- get in the Skwigly Chat room and lets have a live discussion about it now! Oh yeah, no need to register -- so what you waiting for?

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I couldnt download the chat log from the skwigly forum , does anyone else have that problem?

ttesla
03-18-2005, 08:22 PM
I couldnt download the chat log from the skwigly forum , does anyone else have that problem?
you just need to register to the forum in order to be able to access it. :)

btw i wish all the best to the people applied/enrolled to AM. i have just submited my app for the summer term so i hope i will see you around. :wavey::thumbsup:

cheers!

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 08:53 PM
yes i registered and logged in :(

3FnD
03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Sheep

I had to reg, verify, log out and log back in before I could get the xscrtp to download. try logging out and back in, that werkd for me.

liquidik
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Well guys, while waiting for my credit card call, I've received an email from Kelly Hensley from AM. She's asking me for my credit card details. Do you know if is a real person working for AM?

Maybe I need to call...

Thanks

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Just pick up the phone and call their office , they have the best support team i have met.

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I had the same mail and it seems it's a real person, I still waiting for my CC call :) Rosie told me about her, so no worry and keep waiting :wise:

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Are we supposed to wait for the credit card call or can we just call their office to give our credit card infos ?

liquidik
03-18-2005, 09:24 PM
ohhh Modus, from what she wrote it seems that I can just reply to that email...

philippeduvin
03-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I've replied to this email but not with this entire informations such as CC number or expiration date... I asked Rosie and she told me Kelli will be calling you for the credit card payment in the next day or so.

super_mouse
03-18-2005, 09:32 PM
does anyone know the AM phone number??

SheepFactory
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
does anyone know the AM phone number??

its on their website under contact us.

FUG1T1VE
03-18-2005, 09:39 PM
and check this site as well, someone posted it earlier, you might have missed it.

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/

clockwerkz
03-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Alright, so now that we all have one more week before classes start, what's everyone doing with that time? I'm going to take a day to clean up my office and have it nice and tidy. Then I plan on doing some spring cleaning on my computer, freeing up some space. I also plan on re-reading the Illusion of Life. That book just has soo much content to it, it's amazing. Since AM is requiring us to have that and the Animator's Survival Kit, I wonder if they'll be giving out assignments from them? Like reading assignments or something?

cW

Rikki
03-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Even if it really is from AM, I wouldn't send your CC details over e-mail. Just in case anyone is thinking of doing so. Just phone them and do it :)

Looking forward to working with everyone. I'm also a night owl - wake up at midday, go to bed at 3am. Many Americans I talk to online go to bed earlier than me which is bizarre.

I haven't got my student ID or completed payment yet so hopefully they'll get that done soon. I had hoped my documents would be delivered today since they arrived in CA on wednesday, but the Royal Mail tracker still says they're awaiting delivery.

Oh, what's the UK price for the student Maya Complete? Prices seemed to be elusive when I was looking for them. I'm used to using 3DS Max 6, but I'm thinking of getting Maya just so I can use the models they provide and follow along more closely. Depends on the price.

[edit]
The Royal Mail site will be unavailable this weekend (March 18th-March 20th) while important service improvements are carried out.

GAH! :banghead:

stewartjones
03-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Well in preps for AMO I am firstly stressing about my documents actually getting there as its been a nightmare so far! My list of things to do after that is -

1. Tidy office space
2. 'Spring-clean' my computer (Back-up, free space, and generally make it run a bit quicker)
3. Find out about getting a copy of the student version of Maya all 'coz I want the new version!
4. Constantly check this thread!
5. Practice more with Maya... I'm liking it more now, but I am a lot faster with Max!
6. Go out and celebrate before class starts...!!! :)

... Oh, and probably annoy Bobby and the rest of the AMO staff some more with questions and stuff... Just for fun!

My Fault
03-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Woohoo, just got off the phone with Kelly and I'm paid and ready to go. Can't wait to start!

Kimotion
03-19-2005, 01:35 AM
I got my credit card phone call from Kelly at 4:51 pm PST. :applause:

molson67
03-19-2005, 04:56 AM
I just got the proof of enrollment.

I have sent it to Journey ED. Just waiting for there approval. Then i will order Maya Complete student ediation.

Super excited.

mark

hqgamer
03-19-2005, 05:55 AM
hello
i created an irc chat room

if anyone wants to join :)

irc:undernet/animationmentor

Im2Dguy
03-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Hey got my call from Kelly.

Locked in and ready.
Lots to do this week though... :bounce:

philippeduvin
03-19-2005, 07:12 AM
they still working at 0.00 PACIFIC TIME ?? :)

Jozvex
03-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Has anyone from Australia or other more 'far off' countries gotten "the call" yet?

I'm not worried, no, not at all.

Did I just deny being worried, giving the clear impression that actually I am worried? Well I'm not, the clear impression that I seemingly gave by denying that I'm worried is a false impression, for I am in fact, un-worried.

I think.

textureyes
03-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Im in Taiwan... i got the call ages ago..

and got my prof of enrolment today.
but Jozvex.. i wouldnt worry.. they got a lot of students to deal with.
and a lot to do... (thats why we got the extra week i believe)
probly doing them in order of recieveing the forms..
I sent mine the day after i recieved them.

philippeduvin
03-19-2005, 04:36 PM
I HAD MY CALL !! Kelli, if you read this, you sounds great ! :bounce:

mattmos
03-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Mmmmm credit card is considerably lighter (though I like the current US/GB exchange rates) and I have my student ID. Whoa. Is this really happening or did I just dream I was going to learn from some of the most kick arse animators on the planet... Also finally saw the Frank and Ollie DVD, totally recommend it to you guys, really inspiring stuff - their rough drawings are beautiful. (Milt Kahl is still my all time fav though)

stewartjones
03-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Just thought I'd share a screen of my current wallpaper with you guys, it's a little blurry as the images are just taken from the AMO site... I was bored! :D

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpapersm.jpg (http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper.jpg)

I will hopefully get my call this week coming! Off to buy a webcam this weekend! YAY!!! :bounce:

Kimotion
03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Just thought I'd share a screen of my current wallpaper with you guys, it's a little blurry as the images are just taken from the AMO site... I was bored! :D

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpapersm.jpg (http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper.jpg)

I will hopefully get my call this week coming! Off to buy a webcam this weekend! YAY!!! :bounce:

That is so flippin awesome. I just made it MY desktop wallpaper.

I'm using the rest of the week to play catch up and go ahead on my school projects so I can place my utmost priority for AM on the 28th of March. Perhaps I will get my taxes done as well.

kirko
03-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Yep, it's my wallpaper now, too. It'll help put me in a frame of mind for what will be ACTUALLY HAPPENING in about 8 days.

This week, I'm going to clean out my office (AGAIN--you'd think a bear lived here), reinstall Windows in a way that doesn't lose my internet connection, finish reading chapter 3 of IOL, and order my copy of Maya when I get proof of enrollment. Hmmm, also ponder my animations from class--it's been a few months. And try to get a feel for Maya--I'm hoping it's pretty close to Max for animation.

Rikki
03-19-2005, 09:02 PM
So what level of experience does everyone have to start from?

philippeduvin
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM

practically none :wise: hihihi

akem
03-19-2005, 09:38 PM

I animated a 'walk cycle by numbers' a while back, but other than that im starting completely from scratch.

At least I havent had the chance to pick up any bad animation habits. (If such a thing exists).

Akem.

mmkelly011881
03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Figure i might as well submit mine as well... created this about 4 months ago to keep me pumped up... i have another one that says You should be animating... and i switch between them

1280x1024

the color scheme became the inspiration for my blog (http://www.sabudesign.com/mostlycloudy/mc/blog/matt_kelly_animation.html)

clockwerkz
03-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Here's a screen grab of my wallpaper. My inspiration. This is li'l cW. :)

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/49/49930/folders/184956/1473350AMInspiration.jpg

cW

Rikki
03-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I animated a 'walk cycle by numbers' a while back, but other than that im starting completely from scratch.

At least I havent had the chance to pick up any bad animation habits. (If such a thing exists).

Akem.

Sound roughly the same level as me then :) I animated a 15 second movie for a uni project which I was pleased with, though looking back at it, it didn't use any proper techniques. I've also done some of the exercises on the Animation for 3DSMax lynda.com tutorial, and read through IOL and ASK, I just need to put that into practice.

stewartjones
03-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Alrite guys, just another wallpaper for ya... Hope Bobby doesn't mind me using his characters!.. It is advertising AMO though! hehe!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2sm.jpg (http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2.jpg)

I can't wait for this to start!!! :bounce:

Bentagon
03-19-2005, 10:33 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=2058456#post2058456

Part 1 of the interview! Hope you guys like it! And mattmos: notice the Frank and Ollie poster in his office ;)
Awesome wallpapers, btw!

- Benjamin

AZL42
03-19-2005, 10:41 PM
I started with 3d on my own so I made some major mistakes right off the bat. The biggest being trying to create a short film before I bounced my first ball. I was, however, able to teach myself how to use Maya, modeled some fairly realistic human characters (which deformed awfully), worked with some of my school actors and character design artists and the like...but I know little about animation.

Have you guys picked up the adobe video products? Do we need them? Do we need pro vs standard? Do we need both premier and after effects? Thanks

-Adam

darkefire
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
im pretty green myself when it comes to animation. i've dabbled a lot more in modeling, a little rigging, some texturing. i spent some time doing little 5-10 second animations of "tofu bags" (subpatched gray cubes with bones on each corner to represent the limbs. the 3D equivalent of the half-empty bag of flour :D), and the obligatory bouncy ball tests. my walk-cycles-by-numbers have been utter failures so far, but mostly cuz they were tests of the rig and modeling, rather than a practice of my animation.

im hoping AM will force me to focus on one field and keep me from spreading myself thin. i think looking at my credit card bill for the next 18 months will pretty much keep me from straying off the path.....

i finished reading the Survival Kit, and cracked open Illusion of Life for the first time. I think im more in awe reading about the beginning footsteps of animation at the hands of Disney than i am with the actual techniques. There is SO much fascinating information in that book. Im off to read Bobby's livechat transcript. My thanks go out to everyone who made that happen. Definitely and awesome thing to tide us over till class starts.:thumbsup:

Kenny_Rocks
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I started animating 10 years ago ! On 3DS4 ! did a Degree,
but it wasn't a patch on what AM is gonna teach me.

Been making Video Games since '98

Am looking to make the leap over to the States soon.
AnimationMentor is like a dream come true so EACH AND EVERYONE ONE OF US !
Should appreciate our time together on this course 'cause if we say our prays & take our vitamins one day we'll grow up to be Animation Ninjas too.

below is what we will look like on the 1st day of school.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/057.gif

bentllama
03-20-2005, 12:34 AM

I have been animating for almost 10 years, almost 6 of those professionally.
I graduated from sheridan college's classical and computer animation programs.
I am the senior animator/lead animator/animation td at bungie studios and we just finished halo 2.
myself and a colleague from work, who has been animating for about the same amount of time as I have, are both enrolled in AM courtesy of our training program at work.

sure, you could ask me why I am taking AM after all the experience I have and the position I am in within the industry. there is one plain and simple answer...

...YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING!

AM is going to be a great opportunity for me to step away from bad habits that I have picked up over the years and really think about how myself and my studio carries its animation in the future. I got into games to push character animation in that medium to the next level...what better way to do it than to constantly relearn and rethink my processes. it also doesn't hurt that work is paying for it. ;)

anyway, both of us from Bungie that are in AM are very excited to be a part of it...and we cannot wait until it starts...between AM and working on the next AAA title for Xbox 2, it is going to be a fun year!

I am getting very anxious...I guess I will go listen to the latest Black Label Society CD and play some World of Warcraft while I still can! :)

fluffybunny
03-20-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm one of those near beginners too, although since I'm not starting till summer I have some time to learn a little (hopefully not bad habits :eek: ).
I think mainly I need to get my drawing skill up enough to do decent storyboards.
Once I get my bouncy ball rigged the rest of the way with some fancy "deformers" I might post that and I have two other little test projects that will also go up on my website once I get it more functional.
In the meantime, I did this cool "technology" test for using javascript on my website.
It's just simple animated layering client-side...and way poorer than flash, but right now I'm too poor for flash. I DL'd most of the javascript code, but it still took some doing to get it to work. The 6 frames of animation only took about 20-30 minutes.
CG-Wabbit (http://www.cgwabbit.com)
(Note that you can drag the rabbit around if you like...and the animation speed is dependant alot on the browser and computer being used..suppossed to be 20FPS)

I feel like I'm in the mechanical copy/imitate portion of my animation learning trajectory. Based on this and a walk cycle I did by just pulling out the survival kit and copying, I see how I can get something "ok", but far from conveying any real emotion.
I really look forward to learning more and more how to animate instead of simply duplicate....although I still have a ways to go on learning to duplicate :shrug:

Any comments are welcome

eric :arteest:

AZL42
03-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Some-one recently mentioned there's a 10 to 1 student to teacher ratio...each mentor just has 10 students...does anyone know, when 300 more students enter in the summer, if more mentors will be added as well?

Also I'm still wondering about those Adobe video products...

Thanks,

Adam

bentllama
03-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 Camera

$49.00

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=270520&AFFIL=pg&NR=1

I just ordered mine. It is much cheaper here than 99 dollars at Best Buy. :)

word.

mayakindaguy
03-20-2005, 01:22 AM
nice find bentllama. If only I had waited :sad:. Do you know if that's retail or OEM. Looks like it's retail too.

baenca00
03-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Alrite guys, just another wallpaper for ya... Hope Bobby doesn't mind me using his characters!.. It is advertising AMO though! hehe!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2sm.jpg (http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper2.jpg)

I can't wait for this to start!!! :bounce:

Wow.
Stewart...that is amazing man.
It just made my day to see this.

Carlos.

clockwerkz
03-20-2005, 02:29 AM

$49.00

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=270520&AFFIL=pg&NR=1

word.

That's where I ordered mine from. OEM is basically when you get it in a non-descript box with the item and manuals, and not the fancy retail packaging, correct? If so, that's how it came, but guess what? So far it works fine. I just haven't tried out the microphone on it yet.

cW

bentllama
03-20-2005, 04:55 AM
That's where I ordered mine from. OEM is basically when you get it in a non-descript box with the item and manuals, and not the fancy retail packaging, correct? If so, that's how it came, but guess what? So far it works fine. I just haven't tried out the microphone on it yet.

cW

you will have to PM me your MSN handle so we can test that pony out. :)

SheepFactory
03-20-2005, 05:07 AM

$49.00

word.

I just ordered one too , thanks for the link.

Guiliguili
03-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Here my problem, already exposed here. (sorry to go back over).

It’s about my Internet connection.

Currently I have DSl 128 kb/s. And I’m afraid that I will have difficulties to look at the classes and also to participate to the Q&A sessions.

When I try to look at the small video on the AnimationMentor web site, like the interview of Eric Goldberg, I see only 5 seconds of the video, wait 10 seconds, see 5seconds… At the end when all the video is in the buffer, I can see all the video.

I send a mail to Rosie to explain my problem. She was very kind and very patient. She talked to their tech guys and also to Bobby and she said :

"

We're afraid that it will be much too frustrating for you to wait 5 to 10 minutes for something that buffers in 20 seconds on high speed DSL. A 45 minute video lecture may require you to wait 10- 15 minutes of buffer time."

Is there any chance of upgrading your DSL to a 528k speed? »

Yes there is a change to upgrading to 512 K speed but here in Tahiti it’s very expensive : ($280/month). 10 months x 270, it’s a lot of Money….

After checking with the Tahitian post office I am not certain that 512 Kb/s will be okay for the video classes.

So I sent a new mail to Rosie to explain.

She suggest me to postpone.

Impossible : if I postpone I will have a heart attack !

New mail to Rosie (Did I said that she is very kind and patient ?) (Bobby too)

And she answered me :

I spoke to Bobby again and he reminded me that you can set your own streaming settings inside the workspace area. So it will take some time to find the balance of when the stream will just pre-buffer and then play all the way through. It may take a day or so with a slow connection to really dial this in.
The videos on the public area of the site are VERY fast and should play almost instantly. This is the difference between a 128k and full broadband of 564k +. It looks like the main issue is that you would have to wait. If you’re okay from the outset for waiting long periods of time for the buffering then that is fine.

Monday I will have an answer from the Tahitian provider to allow me (I hope) to make a test. I am ready to pay for the 512 KB/s connection if it works !

Have you some suggestion to do to help me to solve my problem ? (Please don’t suggest to postpone my enrollment !)

Do you have all a speed connection ? or did some of you have a more slower connection ?

Thanks for your answer and your help.

Guiliguili
03-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Sorry for the long post.:)

philippeduvin
03-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the long post.:)

Can you edit the text in white please ? :) i dont want to lose my eyes before the 28th :scream:

mikep1980
03-20-2005, 08:29 AM
We're afraid that it will be much too frustrating for you to wait 5 to 10 minutes for something that buffers in 20 seconds on high speed DSL. A 45 minute video lecture may require you to wait 10- 15 minutes of buffer time."

Guiliguili,

Personally I think that 10-15 minutes of buffer time isn't too terribly bad to wait for the entire lecture. Unfortunately, it seems like under your current situation, something has to be sacrificed. I think that its just a question of time vs. money. I wouldn't want to postpone either!!

If you opt to get the 512k and pay $280 a month :eek: , you are right that is ALOT of money!! In the 18 months that we are going to be with AM it will be an additional total of (18 months x $280) = $5040.

If you use your existing 128k you will save that money but essentially wait for (15 mins x 78 weeks) = 19.5 hours in buffering time.

19 hours (less than one day) seems like alot of time to wait, but it is over the course of 1.5 years.

Personally, I'd try the first semister out with the 128k and if the buffering seems unbearable, upgrade.

-Mike

liquidik
03-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Well, even though I've done some tests with bouncing balls , some walk cycles, I want to reset my mind and start really from scratch. I feel that I need to be very disciplined in the beginning and then break the rules...

As far as my experience, I've been a professional dancers for almost 18 years, doing competitions and teaching. At the moment I'm unable to continue dancing due to physical problems. Animation suddenly started to be the natural path that I had to follow....

CU at the AM

Gianmichele

akem
03-20-2005, 09:15 AM
my walk-cycles-by-numbers have been utter failures so far
I imagine the learning curve in animation is going to be pretty steep. To stop myself from getting discouraged, I like to think of my "utter failures" more like "hey cool... I just learnt another way of how NOT to do a walk cycle!" :)

im hoping AM will force me to focus on one field and keep me from spreading myself thin. i think looking at my credit card bill for the next 18 months will pretty much keep me from straying off the path.....
I've been tinkering with Maya and trying to concentrate just on its animation capabilitys, but being a renderer & modeller, im finding there are so many other nice distractions within the program. Must remain disciplined!

i finished reading the Survival Kit, and cracked open Illusion of Life for the first time. I think im more in awe reading about the beginning footsteps of animation at the hands of Disney than i am with the actual techniques. There is SO much fascinating information in that book.
Also read the Survival Kit and a number of other animation books (found Inspired 3D Character Animation particularly insightfull) For some reason I never got around to buying The Illusion of Life (I think it was the cost of the Hardback copy which was the only version available at the time. Kind of ironic when you consider how much im paying for AM now :)) Anyway, orderded it last week and am looking forward to reading it too.

Reading, whether that be in the form of books, forums or interviews is gonna be another distraction for me (but a good one!). I know I will learn alot more from actually practicing the art of animating.

"people cannot tell where darkness comes from or from what direction it arrives"
www.analoggshokk.com (http://www.analoggshokk.com/)
Dude, your website and the illustrations on it are off the hook... (even though it keeps asking me to install the Japenese language pack, Lol). I imagine we can expect a certain melancholy in the work you produce at AM. Being able to express some of that same mood in your animations would be really interesting to see.

Akem

stewartjones
03-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow.
Stewart...that is amazing man.
It just made my day to see this.

Carlos.

Hehe! Cheers Carlos!!!

I should really be animating rather than making stoopid stuff tho! :thumbsup:

PixelTales
03-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Just wanted to throw my wallpaper into the mix. I hope this is OK with the AM guy's. :shrug: If not please let me know and I'll take it off.

Since there were some new mentors added with the release of the site, I haven't had the chance to add them to the pic yet, but you get the idea. I'm still bouncing off the walls, and studying away, for the 28th. See you guy's there. :)

http://www.azswingnetwork.com/mentors.jpg

stewartjones
03-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Here's another one peeps. It made a nice change to work in 2D for a while, and I absolutely love this character, he feels so dynamic it's awesome!

http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper3sm.jpg (http://www.stu-jones.co.uk/AMO_wallpaper3.jpg)

hqgamer
03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
does anyone know if the cost will be raised?
i am asking because i am planning to enter next year

immerzeelpictures
03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
does anyone know if the cost will be raised?
i am asking because i am planning to enter next year

The current fee is a introduction price. Check the catalog on www.animationmentor.com for future prices...

PixelTales
03-20-2005, 06:10 PM
All the info for pricing is in the AM catalog. You can find a link for it in my signature, or on the AM website. But, in answer to your question I think the price does change a little for the next few enrollment sessions, but once you are enrolled your pricing structure stays the same troughout your enrollment. As far as I know this info is correct, but make sure you read the catalog to be sure, as this is my interperetation of what it says.

tredeger
03-20-2005, 09:50 PM
I have been animating for almost 10 years, almost 6 of those professionally.
I graduated from sheridan college's classical and computer animation programs.
I am the senior animator/lead animator/animation td at bungie studios and we just finished halo 2.
myself and a colleague from work, who has been animating for about the same amount of time as I have, are both enrolled in AM courtesy of our training program at work.

sure, you could ask me why I am taking AM after all the experience I have and the position I am in within the industry. there is one plain and simple answer...

...YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING!

With all the talk about which mentor we'll get, I'm surprised no one talks about which classmates (in their direct group) they're going to have. I want Bentllama on my team, wahoo!

Bent, with 2 of you from Bungie in the mix, am I correct to assume you'd prefer if you were both assigned different mentor groups? So that you can get more out of a compare/contrast of your experiences?

bentllama
03-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Bent, with 2 of you from Bungie in the mix, am I correct to assume you'd prefer if you were both assigned different mentor groups? So that you can get more out of a compare/contrast of your experiences?

that would be preferred, but you can't pick and choose. either way, it is going to be a great experience.

tredeger
03-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Alright, so now that we all have one more week before classes start, what's everyone doing with that time? I'm going to take a day to clean up my office and have it nice and tidy. Then I plan on doing some spring cleaning on my computer, freeing up some space. I also plan on re-reading the Illusion of Life. That book just has soo much content to it, it's amazing. Since AM is requiring us to have that and the Animator's Survival Kit, I wonder if they'll be giving out assignments from them? Like reading assignments or something?

cW

I'm actually doing my best to "take a week off" from computer stuff. Trying to spend as much time as possible stimulating my brain in the real world so that I can come to class fresh and energized. I'll probably do a little computer housekeeping and software prep, but NOT TOO MUCH, before class, but since the first class assignment is orientation focused and non-animation anyway, I may save most of that for the first working week.

With respect to thinking about animation, I'm actually trying not to think too literally about animation with a computer (fcurves, ones and twos, keys and breakdowns) and more about motion and forces and inertia and impetus out in the world and in people/animals/things with body language and intention. Not to sound all squishy, but I'd like to try to forget my technical knowledge as much as possible and come to the class as tabula rasa as I can from the computer standpoint. Just bring my sense of observation and experience with gravity and the laws of motion to the table. I suppose my hypothesis is that rather than try to learn everything I can about animation before the first day of class and come in as the know it all whiz, if I bring a naive but open attitude free from preconceived notions (and I am certain I am still burdened with plenty of those) I'll be more receptive to the intangible aspects of the lessons that are the real value of learning from these particular mentors.

But I could be wrong. Anyone else share this theory?

Rikki
03-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Although I wouldn't want it exclusively, it would be cool if the groups could be made largely of people from the same part of the world. Would be good to be able to build offline friendships with fellow students from the same country.

tredeger
03-20-2005, 10:58 PM
So we can definitely get the edu discount on Maya but...

are there any vendors out there accepting our credentials for edu discounts on other software that might be used for animation such as Macromedia Flash?

mayakindaguy
03-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Don't know if it's a good idea, nor do I know how to set it up. But I thought it might be fun and interesting if we could do a pre-AM get together web meeting so all the AM students can meet each other and also test out their web cam equipment before the launch date. Let me know what you guys think and how or if we should go about this.

Thanks

textureyes
03-21-2005, 12:11 AM
wish i could remove myself from my compuer this week. I also think it is a good idea to sit back and do some observation and contemplation.. cos we are going to hit the computers hard for study after next week.
Unfortunatly im at crunch time on a project (thanks for the extra week off) Very late nights for another week and then im easy for a while.. just in time...
As for groups i will be here in Taiwan for a while.. and then back to the UK.. prob just after the first term... and maybe off to somewhere else in the world.. so i dont realy care whos group im in.. but i think there will be a few late night sessions with me a hot cup of coco and my pyjamas. Enjoy :)
thanks for the wall paper people... im now using it to remind myself of the wild ride ill be on for the next year...
im up for an early webcam session... figure out a time and place and ill be there...

AZL42
03-21-2005, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty sure AM is planning on using its own system for webcams so I don't know how useful doing a test of them would be before hand. If you guys want to set up a time to meet again in the chat room where we talked to Bobby, that would be easy since the room there is usually free. The address again is http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp ... Also any of you guys can feel free to IM me on AIM (AdamZevLevin).

I've been trying to work on drawing lately cause I know its a weak point for me.

I can't wait till spring really starts here...right now the only place people get together in town is the mall.

stewartjones
03-21-2005, 12:44 AM
If you guys let me know a date and time I can sort out a full-camera chat for everyone interested in coming along?!?! If we get a date within the next day or so I can get the room open, and all sorted!!!

Edit: Alrite guys, me and Clock just tried this thing out and it works fine. So, if we get a date sorted then we can test out cams and stuff b4 AMO! :thumbsup:

clockwerkz
03-21-2005, 01:28 AM
If you guys let me know a date and time I can sort out a full-camera chat for everyone interested in coming along?!?! If we get a date within the next day or so I can get the room open, and all sorted!!!

I just ran this with Stu.. he had me as his guinea pig! Very sweet! He has access to this software that we can all conference together with webcams and stuff. UBER cool!! We were just messing with it now.

cW

Nitefyre
03-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Count me in, just about any time works for me.

3FnD
03-21-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm actually doing my best to "take a week off" from computer stuff...

But I could be wrong. Anyone else share this theory?
Trying to do as little computer before class wouldn't make any difference for me...if it was even possible! Besides, I've gotta learn a little Maya, and jobs I'm gonna be working on to pay for all this will require using the computer, too. I've gotta do taxes, finish a huge data backup of my HDs, etc.

The only non-computer thing will be finishing up TIOL. Having just watched all the stuff on The Incredibles DVDs, anyone else notice how many of the things talked about on the DVDs are also in that book? pretty cool. Oh, and probably much of that will be in our classes, too.

Shreds
03-21-2005, 03:59 AM
Good Luck for you're first day of school everyone!:thumbsup:
Wish I could be there with you but I guess I'll have to wait until summer. Seems like everyone has been very active waiting for this day to come so I know it is going to be a great class of animators and I can't wait to see some of the work that gets done after the first semester, that is if anything is shown outside the student forums of AM's site.
Well anyways, Good Luck and have fun.

Just remember: timing, spacing, and most of all your personality!

Adam.

FUG1T1VE
03-21-2005, 05:29 AM
lets see. I've been animating myself for 23 years or so, the first few years dont count though, cant remember much after 5years of age.

The only animation experience I have is from the maya help files and the max help files with a few tutorials I've found here and there. I did some traditional animation at a community college for 6 months and that was about it. right now Im just taking a lot of reference video of things I'd like to animate. When ever I get a good old webpage I'll share the footage with ya'll, that is if anyone is interested since am is also providing footage.

To me its a great opportunity to finally do some proper animation training, and move away from the nonsence engineering Im doing. Too bad I have to wait until the fall, best of luck to all of you and post a few things on how your first day of school goes.:bounce:

philippeduvin
03-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Good Luck for you're first day of school everyone!:thumbsup:
Adam.

The DAY has been changed to 28th :) but thanks so much for your support.

Count on me for a crazy video chat ! :scream:

andy_maxman
03-21-2005, 09:37 AM
this thread is booming with lots of new folks....and its all so alive....
i wonder if its 'a storm before the calm' on this thread, post this 28th...?!
if it's so...then pls drop by just to say hi....

keep rockin guys!

bentllama,
damned! you are so lucky.
can you believe it, the company i work for has no such policy of funding for training. aarghh.
man....i appreciate the fact you doing this after all the experience you got.

And folks....the two guys from Bungie are sure gonna be the hot contenders for 'vote your fav' students work' category......

cheers! and goodLuck!
;-)andy

Rikki
03-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh, has there been any word on roughly what times the live video sessions will be and on what days? Or will it vary? I work some part-time evening shifts so I'll want to make sure I get those off.

maninflash
03-21-2005, 10:56 AM
can you believe it, the company i work for has no such policy of funding for training. aarghh.

I wonder if Pixar has a policy to pay for their animators to enroll in AnimationMentor. I mean, just imagine, then everyone would want to work at Pixar becasue they would get AM for free!:rolleyes:

andy_maxman
03-21-2005, 11:06 AM
i believe that if a company can afford it then it should atleast have a policy to improve its core abilities. and in my case the company can more than afford to sponsor. it's just that nothing of this sort has happened before.
besides, i was being specific to the place i work for. so why even talk of some place else?

PixelTales
03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Has anyone else tried to access Bobby Becks website recently. I wanted to see if he had updated his new reel. But when I tried to log on it said the website could not be found. I hope that means that he's in the process of updating. It will be cool to see which scenes he did in the Inredibles and Boundin'. Though given how busy everyone at AM is right now I don't know if this would be true. Is anyone else having trouble accessing his site, or is it just me?