PDA

View Full Version : www.animationmentor.com

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

JimPanse
03-06-2005, 11:35 AM
:) Wooaaaahhhrrrrrgggg..... I'M IN !
congrats to anybody who has been accepted.

stewartjones
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey, just wondering.

You know the registration form. It says print 2 copies, and it stats that you have to take both Enrollment Agreements and high school verifications and mail them.

So does that mean that AMO need both copies that we print, as in we don't keep one of them?

I'm just making sure so I don't stuff up after all this waiting!!! :D

DonHuan
03-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Hello guys, i am in too, i ca:)n imagine we shared the same feeling as we saw the congratullations email from AM :thumbsup:.

Now lets gets serius with the registration.

Yes why sign and initial two copies?
And the last page of the form(High School Transcript form) it confuse me a bit.The registrar is asked to send a copy of transcripts to: AnimationMentor.com, but why?,the registrar is not in AnimationMentor.com 918 Parker street, Suite 12...?

and in page 4 there are fields for signatures of the Authorized school official, that signature stays empty?, and maybe they send us back the second form with their signatures?

Bentagon
03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey, just wondering.

You know the registration form. It says print 2 copies, and it stats that you have to take both Enrollment Agreements and high school verifications and mail them.

So does that mean that AMO need both copies that we print, as in we don't keep one of them?

I'm just making sure so I don't stuff up after all this waiting!!! :DYou print them both, send them both, and after they have signed both contract they'll send one back and keep one in their archives.

- Benjamin

stewartjones
03-06-2005, 12:47 PM
You print them both, send them both, and after they have signed both contract they'll send one back and keep one in their archives.

- Benjamin

Cheers dude!

And the last page of the form(High School Transcript form) it confuse me a bit.

If you already have your certificates etc, I presume you can forget about that bit. Like with page 6 - Notification of cancellation. You have to send that back intialed so they know that you have looked at it, and understand how to go about a cancellation (obviously not signing anything!).

Well, that's how I see it anyways!

- Stu

clockwerkz
03-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Whew, Jovzex, you brought something up that Ive never bothered to notice with my DSL coonection..my upstream speed. Luckily, I'm well in the clear. I'm wondering what webcam to buy myself. Does anyone know if it is worth it to get a webcam with the mike on the cam? I thought it would be a little more practical, but then again maybe they don't work as well?

Also, about the grouping of students in their regions to facilitate the getting everyone together for the mentor session..I agree, I hope we're grouped with people in nearby regions. I'm on the east coast of the States, and I definitely wouldn't mind being teamed with westcoast people because theres only a 3 hour difference. But I've noticed some of you cats are on the other side of the pond! That would be rough doing mentor sessions at 4 AM! The other aspect to consider is that the mentors are working professionals, so assuming they do something of a 9 to 5er monday through friday, we're probably looking at a 6-10 pm westcoast timeframe during the week, and weekends are free game. But I'm pretty much sure that the AM guys have that worked out. :)

cW

alexandrecollac
03-06-2005, 02:06 PM
:bounce: yAHOIOOOOOOOOOO , :bounce: :scream: Im In. Cant Believe. Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:scream: :bounce: .

Im participating of a full time game project this month, working 13 hours a day , Just have time to check my mail now

After careful review of your Admissions Application, the Admissions Committee of AnimationMentor.com has recommended you for acceptance into the Advanced Studies in Character Animation Diploma Course. A place for you in the Spring 2005 Term has been reserved. Classes will begin on Monday, March 21, 2005.

Im in, and fortunately the game project will end exactly on march 21.

IM IN, and lots of you are too, GREAT. :bounce: :bounce:

See you there:thumbsup: :applause:

Bentagon
03-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Whew, Jovzex, you brought something up that Ive never bothered to notice with my DSL coonection..my upstream speed. Luckily, I'm well in the clear. I'm wondering what webcam to buy myself. Does anyone know if it is worth it to get a webcam with the mike on the cam? I thought it would be a little more practical, but then again maybe they don't work as well?Uhm... only if you want background noise. If you've got a headphone and mic it'll be much better. Bobby and I had some problems with echo on the webcam while doing the interview (working on thatnow), so I presume a headset is advisable. But if you're doubting between buying a cheapo headset without mic with a mic in the webcam, and a more expensive headset with exterior mic and a webcam, just go with the first... So to make a mid-long story short: headphones will be more important then exterior mic, or at least so it seems to me.

once again, congratulations to all!

- Benjamin

Afr_CG
03-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi and congrats all!

I am in the process of filling out the application and I just wonder if those at college level should still send High School diplomas or should we instead request a transcript to be mailed from the university to AM directly? any ideas?

thank you.

Trevor Hunsaker
03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey Afr_CG,

I don't think it matters which you send, their requirement is that you can prove that you've graduated high school, and either the diploma or the clooege transcripts will do that. Personally, I'm going to send a transcript.

DonHuan
03-06-2005, 03:40 PM
I think we can choose to send the high school diploma or transcripts from university.But i think sending just the high school diploma is easier and faster.
You can send AM email or make a call to resistration office.
I will do that today or tomorrow.

Afr_CG
03-06-2005, 03:41 PM
cool, I was just making sure :) I think that's what I'll do also...wonder if requesting it and attaching it myself isn't better than requesting the school to send it directly to AM...

anyway, good luck to all those who haven't received the e-mail yet and congrats to the rest :bounce:

Later

stewartjones
03-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi and congrats all!

I am in the process of filling out the application and I just wonder if those at college level should still send High School diplomas or should we instead request a transcript to be mailed from the university to AM directly? any ideas?

thank you.

I am sending my high-school equivs and all my higher-education stuff too!.. Just to be on the safe side! :)

Guiliguili
03-06-2005, 05:22 PM
About the webcam. I use a philips webcam with micro. From Tahiti to other country the micro works better than the camera : I can't have good video : only a frame evre 5 seconds....
But with the micro there is a problem. I listen the voice of the person I am speaking to on the computer speaker. And there is some echo because the micro takes the voice on the speaker and resent it to the person I am speaking to.
SO I think that it's better to have headphone with micro.
About the speed of the connection : When I am conneted to other webcam in Tahiti, the video is very good but as soon as I am connected to outside Tahiti, the video becomes slowly to very slowly...

Makomako
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm in too!! see you there guys!

liquidik
03-06-2005, 09:35 PM
About the diploma. Do they need the original one or can i just send them a photocopy ???

Guiliguili
03-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Liquidik

About the diploma they said on the registration checklist : attached a copy of High School Diploma

Kimotion
03-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I think we can choose to send the high school diploma or transcripts from university.But i think sending just the high school diploma is easier and faster.
You can send AM email or make a call to resistration office.
I will do that today or tomorrow.

I got an e-mail from Luis Guillen and said that a university transcript in fine. I will send my university transcript since my high school is not so reliable.

Demonic.Grace
03-07-2005, 12:42 AM
This seems like the best place for me to get a diploma. I am going to take some basic animation classes over the next few years. After that I will have the money to go to AM and get even deeper into the path I have choosen.

Jozvex
03-07-2005, 02:00 AM
I should probably email AM directly about this, but before I bother them I figured I might as well ask here in case some smart person can answer me.

I'm not that experienced with reading through contracts etc (even though this one seems reasonably self-explanatory) and I was wondering:

What exactly happens if I've chosen the payment option B (to pay in installments) and I find that I have to stop the course after 2 or 3 classes (for whatever reason, say my house is hit with a meteor)?

It explains that if you quit part way through a class you get refunded for the remainder of that class you didn't finish, but then does it just stop there? I don't owe anything for the rest of the classes that would have made up the rest of the 18 month diploma?

I'm pretty sure that's a silly question and that you don't, but I'm just making sure hehe. Never know when those meteors and plagues can strike.

:scream:

AZL42
03-07-2005, 02:36 AM
I have a question as well... where it says Student Name:______________________________________ (Student, You(r), My, I)

What does the "(Student, You(r), My, I)" thing mean? I've seen "Student, John A." but I've never seen what is has there.

Thanks

Nitefyre
03-07-2005, 02:43 AM
I have a question as well... where it says Student Name:______________________________________ (Student, You(r), My, I)

What does the "(Student, You(r), My, I)" thing mean? I've seen "Student, John A." but I've never seen what is has there.

From that point on in the documentation any 'Student', 'You(r)', 'my' or 'I' is referring directly to you.

Legal talk for defining student, you(r), my and I within the contract

AZL42
03-07-2005, 02:49 AM
And here I was trying to wrap my mind around how to write my name in that format... "Levin, Ze(v), Adam, Zvi". Thanks.

Kimotion
03-07-2005, 04:23 AM
I'm already thinking of what userID I should use for AM. Do we get to create one? I think so. Should I use Kimotion, or use my real name so people (like potential recruiters) would know my name?

Jozvex
03-07-2005, 05:00 AM
I say put Kimotion. I'm sure they'll be a profile page for each person to check out. And if they go "bah that's not his real name, forget him" then they aren't worth it anyway hehe.

I'll be Jozvex.

Kimotion
03-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Hmm....but isn't a measurement of succeeding in this industry "selling" your name? Especially if you're a novice?

Perhaps I am thinking of this too much.

kirko
03-07-2005, 05:21 AM
What exactly happens if I've chosen the payment option B (to pay in installments) and I find that I have to stop the course after 2 or 3 classes (for whatever reason, say my house is hit with a meteor)?

It explains that if you quit part way through a class you get refunded for the remainder of that class you didn't finish, but then does it just stop there? I don't owe anything for the rest of the classes that would have made up the rest of the 18 month diploma?

Jozvex,

It's probably best to ask AM, but the example on p. 7 (Exhibit C--Form of Notice of Refund) makes me think we don't have to worry about that:

"For example, if You withdraw after attending only seven (7) sessions of the seventy-two (72) session program, and You paid $13,000.00 tuition, You will receive a refund of $10,800 ($13,000 times [65/72] for Class Sessions not attended)"

That seems to say you're not on the hook for the rest of the classes--definitely if you paid up front, but I think also if you pay in installments.

Kirk

Jozvex
03-07-2005, 05:28 AM
Selling your name! Not selling your userID! If they take everyone's userIDs as their name they'll be in trouble.

And thanks kirko I think I'm just being too worry-wartish.

philippeduvin
03-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Mine is gonna be definitely Phil. Just because I want to turn this "virtual" experience in something so REAL, I prefer starting since the beginning with putting my real name :)

bentllama
03-07-2005, 06:55 AM
as far as your name queries go...

i have been known by the moniker 'bentllama' for a long time.

recently i have been trying to combine my real name with my internet/gaming counterpart. it will take awhile for people to associate one with the other, but having both visible is a good idea.

what i plan on doing, if it is allowed, is using my real name as my primary moniker on AM and having 'bentllama' in the signature or some other very noticable spot.

i am equally known for both, so i need to use both. gamers and fans of halo 2 know me as bentllama. software salesmen and other industry peers/pros know me as Nathan Walpole. on cgtalk, thanks to the new professional display of user information, i can be known by both.

it really is more professional to have your real name out there...unless you are a god like moebius, you really need to go with a surname and given name. it is way more professional.

watermarks on the avi's can help ident you as well, but i am sure they have a plan for that...

EDIT: and to prove that humour can still coexist with real names and internet handles I submit the following link for further personal humiliation: http://bungie.net/Inside/MeetTheTeam.aspx?Person=walpole (http://bungie.net/Inside/MeetTheTeam.aspx?Person=walpole) PS: that was me 65+ pounds ago

rhino23
03-07-2005, 07:10 AM
I got in, (found out Friday!) http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

mikefidelish
03-07-2005, 08:23 AM
I did'nt receive any acceptance or rejection letter from AM, I submited my essay and completed my test. Is there any one out there like me who did'nt get any confirmation from AM. I feel like I am left alone

AKS
03-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Your not alone. I haven't heard either.

Which term did you apply for, Spring or Summer? As fas as I can tell no one who applied for the summer term has heard yet. I know they are going to send out an email either way, so don't get too down until you've heard. Good luck.

p.s. can someone who did get an email tell us what the subject line of it was so that we know what we should be looking for? It sounds like it's coming from different people's personal email addresses, not the standard AnimationMentor newletter one. I get ALOT of junk mail and just want to make sure I don't filter it out.

textureyes
03-07-2005, 08:36 AM
my email came as -

Registration Inquiries Welcome to AnimationMentor!

from the email -

registration@animationmentor.com

hope it helps
they seem a great bunch for answering feedback.
so dropping an email to them cant hurt.

AKS
03-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I figure I will drop them a line if I don't hear anything by the end of today Cali time, which unfortunately is pretty much tomorrow my time....

sinbad
03-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Don't worry AKS, I haven't heard yet either. I applied for the Summer course, and only a week and a half ago so I'm sure something will come through this week. I wonder if they send rejection e-mails or only send mails to successful applicants. I guess If I recieved a rejection mail, I'd feel pretty sore and wouldn't want to admit it on the forum.

Congrats to all of those who got in so far, you guys must be incredibly excited!

Anyway.... calm down nerves, go get coffee....

paul

immerzeelpictures
03-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I am in aswell!!

Nice to find out after a nice snowboard vacation!

Hope to see you guys soon on AM study grounds..

Reimo
03-07-2005, 10:56 AM
I got also in.. wow.

Did everyone who apllidd get in?
And I don't have this big ammount of money and I think I cant get all of the money never together. But If I join like in summer, do the new classes start or I join with the others?

thnx and sorry about my english :)

AjaBogdanoff
03-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, I've set my email to check every 60 seconds. Anything related to "animation", "mentor", or ".com" will set of a chain reaction of events, beginning with an ear-splitting air raid siren and culminating in a team of trained chimpanzees being released into the building to locate me and deliver the message, should I be out of the office.

On second thought, maybe I should just have it "ding". ;)

*waits nervously*

darkefire
03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
i dont think you kids have anything to worry about. the main page says they're STILL accepting applicants. They're probably waiting to get enough of a roster for the Summer/Fall classes before announcing them. this is pure and utter hopeful speculation on my part, but i hope it helps calm you down while you wait, and good luck to ya!

@ NiteFyre: our screen names our too similar! recruiters may get confused when they see our future work, and my real name is too bizarre to ever be marketable, thus i cannot forfeit my screen name. i challenge you to a duel! may the best kung fu win!:D

Afr_CG
03-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Aja, You will hopefully join the rest of us. I wish you the very best.

sinbad
03-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Can I ask if anyone who signed up for the summer intake has been offered a place yet?

The old nerves are in shreds already dispite all reassurances from the kind folk on this thread. Man there won't be a font big enough if I get accepted, I might have to make a big "IM IN" up in photoshop, or even a shiny 3D version with full HDRI/ Global illumination/ volumetrics/radiosity/ final gather/caustics/subsurface scattering/ icing sugar/glittery version in Maya.

Ok off to give the students their pixilation brief. Maybe I should get them to animate me banging my head against the wall like a woodpecker.

p

Cind
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
w00t, just got in for the Spring semester. See some of you there :)

My Fault
03-07-2005, 03:24 PM
So do we need to wait for them to send us our student ID#'s before we mail it back to them or is that only if we pay by check?

AjaBogdanoff
03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Rosie Varela, I love you!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And one more, for good measure: :bounce:

I'm so excited my hands are shaking!

I guess I can go release the chimpanzees now. ;)

I'll see most of you this Spring!

And, for those who may not have heard yet, hold tight! I know exactly how you feel. :argh:

bakerboy
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Aja, no worries... I just received my acceptance letter 10 minutes ago. I'm sure you'll receive your acceptance letter shortly.
I have followed this thread for some time now and was up into the wee hours of the morning with all of you during the infamous f5-athon. I want to thank all of you for making this thread so entertainingly informative. I'm so excited to get started with all of you in the Spring!

unseenthings
03-07-2005, 05:20 PM
They're probably waiting to get enough of a roster for the Summer/Fall classes before announcing them. this is pure and utter hopeful speculation on my part, but i hope it helps calm you down while you wait, and good luck to ya!

I sure hope they're not waiting for those classes to fill up before they let anyone know if they're accepted or not. That's also not the impression I got. I believe they're going to respond to everyone who has applied so far, as to whether they've been accepted or not, as they get to them, not when the respective classes fill up enough. I've applied for Summer and haven't heard yet.... hopefully soon.

AjaBogdanoff
03-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Something tells me I'm not the only person on this thread who has discovered the "three exclamation point" limit.... :cool:

kenshi
03-07-2005, 05:42 PM
i was accepted for Spring Term. i look forward to working with a lot of you. to those who have applied, best of luck. let's raise the animation bar higher than anyone thought possible! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif

p.s. anyone from utah out there?

http://kenshi.daeva.org (http://kenshi.daeva.org/)

philippeduvin
03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey guys

Just got another email from Rosie to tell me how sexy i am on my website :)
no...:scream: kidding about the topic but i had one congratulating me. Even the admission director seems fantastic !! :bounce:

Bentagon
03-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm starting to be jealous... I will have to wait till september to participate!

- Benjamin

jono338
03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, the wait didn't kill me: I must be stronger. So why am I shaking?

OMG! I'm in. :scream: :bounce:

That was the most nerve-wrackingest-est-ested weekend I've ever had.

Hmm ... sitting here for five minutes trying to think of something to express how I feel right now. Good thing I'm not trying to be a novelist. :scream: :bounce:

Wow!

Oops. Miss Manners would be upset.

Congratulations everyone. And hang in there all you other waiters .... I know it's tough.

AKS
03-07-2005, 07:45 PM
It's good to be IN!!! :scream:

Happy DANCE!!!

see you guys in a few weeks!!!

omni
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Wohoo, Im in too

heathenPagan
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
YAAAAARRRGH! This is killing me. (Sitting in the corner rocking back and forth in the foetal position)

I put down Fall Term as my first pref, so I could save some money and not be in crunch time at work. Hoping that's why I haven't heard.

I gotta hear this week or else I'll, I'll, I'll wait some more.........

Bentagon
03-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Fall for me too, and I'm getting more anxious about this e-mail every second! Even when I'm pretty confident I'll be in....

I had just kind of kicked off my forum addiction, and now this!

- Benjamin

heathenPagan
03-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Is there anyone else from Australia who has applied?
I'm in Melbourne....

Jozvex
03-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Yep I'm from Canberra!

jono338
03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
heathenPagan, yes I'm in Sydney. Jozvex who's in too is aussie too, but not exactly sure what location.

mikefeil
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
im in sydney :D

oddjob the dwarf
03-07-2005, 11:32 PM
i'm from paris !!! but i go to Perth at august for 1 year with some friend, i will continu AM in australia !!!

immerzeelpictures
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Anyone from the Netherlands on the AM Spring course?

I see Bentagon as the closest, although he is from Belgium and on the Fall term, but probably Dutch speaking (ja toch, of niet?)

A well, it's not that important, but just nice to know.

kenshi
03-08-2005, 12:29 AM
i want to send my application stuff off, but haven't gotten my ID# yet. anyone been sent theirs?:shrug:

Afr_CG
03-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi all,
Anybody received the Student ID#?

heathenPagan
03-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Are all you Aussies in the first intake?

polymath
03-08-2005, 01:06 AM
The nextStep emails (with Student ID#s) are expected to be out by Wednesday, otherwise by the end of the week (hopefully).

Guiliguili
03-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Just a question to be certain to do not make mistake : As I pay with a credit card, do I need to wait until to receive my Student ID # before sending the both Enrollment Agreements ?

Thanks

Jozvex
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Yes I'm in for the first term.

Hehe and no, no student ID yet. I think that'll need a for more days waiting until they've sent out all the acceptance letters.

jono338
03-08-2005, 01:59 AM
Yep, I'm in Spring 2005.

If I'm going to pay by credit card, do I need to wait for the student ID. The only requirement linking the application to the student ID that I can see is to put the student ID on the back of the cheque, if you're paying by cheque? I'd like to get the application underway before they change their mind. Just kidding ... really.

It's good to know that by using the AM site I'm not accidentally going to start controlling any nuclear facilities. Pheww, I was getting worried about that!

Jozvex
03-08-2005, 02:12 AM
It's good to know that by using the AM site I'm not accidentally going to start controlling any nuclear facilities. Pheww, I was getting worried about that!

I'd just like to point out to everyone that while both jono338 and I come from the same country, it is a very LARGE country and we in no way should be mentally linked to each other.

Meaning I'm not associated with crazy nuclear controlling people in any way. :p Just thought I should point that out. Never know if someone at AM has a terrible fear of nuclear power.

:thumbsup:

darkefire
03-08-2005, 03:12 AM
hello all. i had the pleasure of speaking to the lovely Rosie Varela about the enrollment form. What started as 3 simple questions turned into like a 10 minute conversation that got me even more fired up for the class (as if that were possible). whoever ran the hiring for AMO's staff sure as hell seems to have done their home work. its nice to be involved with a company that's teeming with knowledgable AND friendly people for a change. :)

i asked aboot the credit card payment, and the sending of the signed enrollment form. the answer to BOTH is: WAIT.

when we get our student ID's (Tue/Wed this week), and log in, there'll be a page where we choose our payment method. those of use who choose payment by credit card, will be contacted directly by AMO shortly to complete the payment. it sounded like the payment would be taken by phone. Oh, and we are supposed to put our Student ID's on the enrollment form somewhere before sending that in. hope that helps!

textureyes
03-08-2005, 03:22 AM
well thats not much good for me...

im in taiwan and it will take about a week to send it to the US. As we have to send it back and complete the enrolment form by the 17th i figure its best to do it asap.
plus i have already posted it.... :D
anyway its seems ok. I am sure i can phone them to clear it all up.

Nitefyre
03-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the info! Always wait, wait, wait for us. I just want to start already!! :bounce:

@ NiteFyre: our screen names our too similar! recruiters may get confused when they see our future work, and my real name is too bizarre to ever be marketable, thus i cannot forfeit my screen name. i challenge you to a duel! may the best kung fu win!

.. I .. know .. kung-fu.

dimension10
03-08-2005, 03:57 AM
I am in aswell!!

Nice to find out after a nice snowboard vacation!

Hope to see you guys soon on AM study grounds..

Nice!!! I found out after coming home from a snowboarding trip at Jackson Hole.
I'll have to animate my snowboard dude (http://www.sternio.com/movs/sternio_toby.mov) for my first assignment.

AZL42
03-08-2005, 04:31 AM
Hey Jozvex, jono338 said that cause in the application it says

"FAULT TOLERANCE. The Site may contain software written in Java or other code that is not fault tolerant and is not designed, manufactured, or intended for use in connection with online control equipment in hazardous environments requiring fail-safe performance, including, but not limited to, the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control, direct life support machines, or weapons systems, in which the failure of such technology could lead directly to death, personal injury, or severe physical or environmental damage."

The lawyer they got is thorough very thorough.

BTW, what page do we put the student ID? The only place for it I saw when I just looked through it quickly, is on the cancelation notice, and since I don't want to cancel, I'm not writing anything on that line.

Also, I like the snowboarder's walk cycle, got some nice weight to him. Although if you're planning on using him on the first assignment, my guess is you'll have to curl him up in the fetal position and bounce him around a bit.

andy_maxman
03-08-2005, 04:37 AM
This one's for Rosie Varela ;-)
http://www.sweetcakes4u.com/Web%20Pictures/Web%20L%20-%20Cookie%20Cake%20Thank%20You.jpg

Also, I would love to see pictures of the school and the staff working there.
And congrats to everyone who got in. All the very best, mates.
;-)andy

dimension10
03-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Also, I like the snowboarder's walk cycle, got some nice weight to him. Although if you're planning on using him on the first assignment, my guess is you'll have to curl him up in the fetal position and bounce him around a bit.

You're right, Maybe I could use just his head in the first session.

tredeger
03-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Is there anyone else from Australia who has applied?
I'm in Melbourne....

I'm not from Oz but I love an Aussie accent. Now I know that doesn't mean a frelling thing to you, but...

the only radio I listen to is Tripple J. And I'm addicted to Missy Higgins. Is that close enough for ya?

3FnD
03-08-2005, 06:33 AM
id #s are coming next week then!

while we all wait (and get ready), anyone reading or re-reading Illusion of Life?

There's so much in there...and I just got mine not long ago. It's definitely one of those you learn something new every time you open it.

andy_maxman
03-08-2005, 07:02 AM
i do not yet have the 'Illusion of Life' , though i have got the 'survival kit' handy.

any links as to where i can find references on 'thumbnailing for animators' ?
i have never drawn before and would love to learn drawing stick figures.

-thanks

philippeduvin
03-08-2005, 07:31 AM
i do not yet have the 'Illusion of Life' , though i have got the 'survival kit' handy.

-thanks

For my lil acting/bouncing ball ball here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=216230, that was the first time i made thumbnails ans it helps me so much. If you get lost in your hundreds keyframes, your storyboard/thumbnails became a great help :)

bentllama
03-08-2005, 07:36 AM

-thanks

ALWAYS THUMBNAIL!

Got a great book for ya...

http://www.anamie.com/
http://www.anamie.com/bookintro.html/
http://www.anamie.com/book.html/

Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation

A great book for students and the professional wanting to refresh. Written by an old prof of mine, I highly recommend it. Too many digital animators never plan. Planning for animation is 30-40 percent of your timeline, most people do very little. Even if your drawings look like poop, you are still working through your thoughts in an analytical manner. That is the important part...the thinking. You are forced to contemplate problems and causes before comitting to the final action.

Czech itt owt.

Peace.

bobbyc
03-08-2005, 07:53 AM

-thanks

hey andy.... Larry's got some good stuff on AWN.com - http://www.awn.com/tooninstitute/lessonplan/thumbnail.htm

also check out tony white's forum section.. good stuff :D

-b

philippeduvin
03-08-2005, 08:00 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=216230
here's mine :) my very first one

http://www.youladesign.com/downloads/thumbnails.jpg

andy_maxman
03-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Even if your drawings look like poop, you are still working through your thoughts in an analytical manner.

if this is true one bit, i'm already feeling nice and spirited.....

thanks a ton modus, bentllama, bobbyc...
if there is more, please do drop by the link.

-thanks

;-)andy

mgarward
03-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm not from Oz but I love an Aussie accent. Now I know that doesn't mean a frelling thing to you, but...

the only radio I listen to is Tripple J. And I'm addicted to Missy Higgins. Is that close enough for ya?
Close enough, I guess.:) I'm an Aussie but I'm now living in the USA (next to Washington,DC). The "love an Aussie accent" thing seems fairly common, though for some reason everyone here thinks I'm a Brit unless I walk around saying "Crikey!" a lot.

(You DO get bonus points for the use of the word "frelling". :) )

mgarward
03-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Even if your drawings look like poop, you are still working through your thoughts in an analytical manner.

if this is true one bit, i'm already feeling nice and spirited.....

thanks a ton modus, bentllama, bobbyc...
if there is more, please do drop by the link.
Your drawings for storyboards just need to be good enough clearly show whatever is important in that shot or move. Which means they can be pretty bad.:D I have an incomplete animation up at http://members.cox.net/mgarward that turns into an animatic towards the end, which used my storyboard/thumbnailing pictures. If you can work out what's going on at the end, then they worked.:) And my drawings, er, look like poop.:)

clockwerkz
03-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Bentllama:

Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation is a fantastic book. I actually got to meet Wayne Gilbert at a presentation he did down here, and I asked him to autograph my copy when I bought it there. He's a really interesting person.. very animated! Anyway, he put down four simple words that have become my personal mantra: "Keep the craft alive."

cW

kenshi
03-08-2005, 04:43 PM

check out Glen Vilppu's drawing books. he has been teaching drawing to animators for years. http://www.vilppustudio.com/ is his website. his technique gives you a good foundation for turning forms in space. once you have a handle on simple shapes, you'll be much freer to convey your ideas quickly and (more importantly) clearly.

best of luck.

animboom
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
The best part is seeing everyone talking about animation, thumbnails, etc. This is the best man! This is so exciting. I already feel the energy from everyone and it's gonna be great.

Talk to you soon!

-BOOM

AjaBogdanoff
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Personally, my thumbnails are pretty much nonexistent after this past weekend.

Ohh! You mean those kinds of thumbnails!

Yeah, those are good. I've got those. :)

I totally agree with mgaward.... the important thing about thumbnail sketches is that they force you to PLAN, not that they force you to learn to draw as well as M.C. Escher. If you tell yourself that you can't draw, so you won't, not only will you be missing one of the most crucial parts of animating a scene, but you also won't be getting any better at drawing.

Me, I'm no M.C. Escher. Heck, Don Hertzfelt can draw circles around me. And triangles. Heh. But the important thing is that I draw. After two decades of fooling myself into thinking that I couldn't draw, so I shouldn't try, I've got a well-worn sketchbook and a pile of storyboard ideas sitting here next to me.

And man, if I can do it... well, you know what they say. :thumbsup:

Jeremy Hopkins
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey Kenshi, you're one step ahead of me - I was going to post the Vilppu link. The Bridgeman life drawing books are also a must for any animation students. Though some people don't like their approach to drawing... it's at least a good place to start. The Loomis books have some interesting info about illustration and design.

As for storyboards, clarity is key but a nicely drawn board can add alot when presenting them. Typically television animation requires solid boards because it's being sent overseas for layout and animation. If the layout and animation work is being done inhouse(like some flash shows), then the boards can be loose.

AZL42
03-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I've been reading and doing 'the natural way to draw' which won't get me prepared quickly but at least it has me sketching again. My problem has been that given a source and 5 hours I can make a good drawing, but given no source and 10 minutes I can't make anything. So I'll check out the books you guys recomended. Thanks.

PS. Where on the application do you put the student ID #. It was mentioned that we should put it on before we send it off.

PPS. Anyone from the PA-NY-NJ tri-state area? I live in Milford, Stroudsburg and Philly PA.

mindspin00
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Hey all?

Anyone recieved their student id yet?

sinbad
03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
There is a set of Glen Keane notes (in pdf form)called "A system for timing and planning animation at http://www.animationmeat.com/downloads/downloads.html
This is a good example of thumbnailing for animation, although it is amazing how scribbly they are. I guess as long as the animator can understand them, then it matters not.

It would be cool to see the various styles of thumbnails from all of the mentors, perhaps they will share these on the course!

Jozvex
03-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey Jozvex, jono338 said that cause in the application it says

HAH, I missed that part! I apologize to Jono, he's not as crazy as I thought. :scream:

Yep close enough I reckon, she sings pretty darn accenty without being fakely over the top. She's cool.

Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation

Yeah I have that book too! It's really nice and what's even nicer is that it came with a personal message on a post-it-note inside! Saying good luck with the animation career etc.

heathenPagan
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey tredeger,

That sounds fairly close, I suppose....
Where are you that you can listen to tripleJ but aren't in Australia?

Magenta_
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Ive just read so many posts i forgot all i wanted to say.

1. Its good to know you are in too, Aja B congratulations!

2. Though ive read all your posts, guys (yes, ALL OF THEM) i feel like im missing something...who is Rosie Varela?

3. [QUOTE]@ NiteFyre: our screen names our too similar! recruiters may get confused when they see our future work, and my real name is too bizarre to ever be marketable, thus i cannot forfeit my screen name. i challenge you to a duel! may the best kung fu win!:D[QUOTE]

Like that Avatar War here? that would be cool :thumbsup:

Bentagon
03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I see Bentagon as the closest, although he is from Belgium and on the Fall term, but probably Dutch speaking (ja toch, of niet?).Uiteraard :)

Wha! Thumbnailing! I've done nothing more than some simple ball tests (I'd almost hate myself for animating so little), but I've already realised planning and thumbnailing is SOO essential. I've tried lots of different things from my mind, going directly on the computer and tapping the spacebar, over a metronome to now a stopwatch. It's the latter that definitly is the best for me for these kind of exercices. You can do quick sketches, you can draw the path your ball will be taking etc. I believe this will be one of my most important things in timing in the future, if it's for something I can't videotape and copy (/edit a little) frame numbers (thanks to Shawn @ ask the pro ;)).

Haven't received my e-mail yet, though... They are sending mails to Fall people too, now are they?

And oh yeah... I'm SOO sorry I'm still not able to release my interview with Bobby. It was so great... But I had two very hectic weeks in which I couldn't write the recording down, and now this weekend I could finally start, and noticed that from the moment I had put my headphone on during the conversation, the recording was very silent and noisy (it didn't record my boxes anymore!). Even de-noising with Adobe Audition doesn't help much, so there are a lot of things I can't understand... at least not the words. The spirit of it is thank god mostly clear. There are a lot things I can remember, of course, but I want to be able to give it as authentic as possible to everyone here, so I'm listening and re-listening every day, typing as I go, and eventually this weekend or even later, I'll put all the text together and send it put to Bobby and hope he can fill in the blanks or adjust the things I still doubt about.

I hope I can release it a few days before it all starts... that would be great!

Once again, congratulations to all, and I agree with Booom completely! You are all so excited I can't wait to be part of your group! This will be AWESOME, GROUND-BREAKING, UNREAL, INSPIRING, EDUCATIONAL and FUN! Thanks again to Shawn, Carlos and the BOOM and their whole crew to make this all happen and help our dreams come true! WE OWE YOU! Well, at least some Kitkats, paella and a drink... When I see you guys in real life someday, make sure to remind me of that!

- Benjamin

kenshi
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
have you guys had webcam problems? i have broadband at home, but it's really, really choppy when i cam on yahoo messenger. maybe my webcam isn't good enough... only paid $20 for it.

i'm sure AM has dealt with this issue and has discovered better brands. anybody dealt with this already? maybe i'll shoot Rosie an email as well.

would be cool if it was real-time video conferencing so there's decent interaction (since we're not there in person)... i'm sure they will give us further instructions once we're "in" the webspace... just trying to be a good boy scout and be prepared to hit the ground running once classes start. :bounce:

Jozvex
03-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Apparantly when using Yahoo with a webcam there are two modes, super something-or-other, and server mode.

Server mode is stuck at 0.75 frames per second but the other mode is supposed to be much much faster.

That's all I know though, I read it during my webcam research.

kenshi
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
just heard back from Rosie. here's what she had to say:

"For the live Q&A sessions, we've been recommending the Logitech Quickcam
Messenger. It's really reasonably priced, (from 19.00 to about 49.00,
depending if you buy it online) and works like a charm.

This is mainly so you can be seen by your mentor during the Q&A sessions
( so it's optional not mandatory) and also, it can be used with some
really cool free software called Monkeyjam that is an exposure sheet
driven digital pencil test program and a stop motion movie maker. (and
it's free with the head monkey's blessing for AM students!) You can get
Monkeyjam at:

http:www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/index.html (http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/index.html)

Rosie Varela"

she also said that once we set up our accounts, they will help us customize our streaming video and webcam settings for optimal performance and that on the live Q&A sessions, there hasn't been any lag with the Logitech product.

happy animating.:scream:

Jozvex
03-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Cool thanks kenshi!

By the way, in your link you need to swap the last \ for an L.

peanuckle
03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Sounds cool. I just bought one of the logitech orbit webcams. The one that follow your face around. I can be such a nerd :)

Tanner

kenshi
03-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Sounds cool. I just bought one of the logitech orbit webcams. The one that follow your face around. I can be such a nerd :)

Tanner

hey Tanner, how much did you pay for your orbit cam?

Matt Leishman
03-09-2005, 12:27 AM
kenshi, i can't believe you didn't ping me and let me know that you made it in!! congrats man! I'm curious about the flow of the class so i'll be keeping track of your blog to see how your experience plays out. good luck with it man.

-m

polymath
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Josvex - Yahoo! Messenger has two methods of webcam connections: Server & P2P (Peer-to-Peer, aka Direct Connection). Direct P2P is obviously fast but connects directly to your IP, which is in theory ... DANGEROUS for Security but fast nonetheless!

peanuckle
03-09-2005, 01:44 AM
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=30-108-112&DEPA=0

$104.00

Tanner

daraand
03-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Uh oh, that's certianlly an expensive camera o_O

Because I am a poor student I did a froogle:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Logitech+Quickcam&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tab=wf&scoring=p&sa=N&start=10

and came up with:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-108-120&depa=0

altho
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=30-108-122&DEPA=0
isnt bad either

Jozvex
03-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I just now ordered a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 for $129 (aussie dollars). The usual shop I go to was selling it for $200+!

I hope I have a free USB port.....

clockwerkz
03-09-2005, 02:27 AM
I'll probably be ordering that Quickcam Pro 4000. Looks very cool. What's everyone doing as far as microphones are concerned? Just relying on the camera's mic, or is anyone picking up a mic/headset?

cW

Jozvex
03-09-2005, 02:30 AM
Luckilly I already have a lapel type microphone, so if the webcam one sucks I'll use that.

Afr_CG
03-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Do you guys think that using a Mini-DV camera (Panasonic Palmcorder PV-DC 152D-K) is fine? or should I buy a Webcam...

heathenPagan
03-09-2005, 03:32 AM
Hey Jozvex,

Where abouts did you order your cam from? I've been checking out the same model today and the shops are all asking around the $200 mark here too.....

(still haven't heard if I've gotten in or not yet, shopping for cams is a kind of wishful thinking...)

peanuckle
03-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Do you guys think that using a Mini-DV camera (Panasonic Palmcorder PV-DC 152D-K) is fine? or should I buy a Webcam...

You can get a better picture from using a camcorder than using just a standard web-cam. I was conisdering buying a Sony Mini-DV camcorder to use to shoot ref and to use as a web-cam. I decided to buy a new chair, desk, and webcam instead though. Bobby told me that buying a camcorder would be overkill. But if you already have a camcorder keep shooting the bird all you want! :)

Tanner

Afr_CG
03-09-2005, 04:02 AM
Kool then :) Thanks for taking the time to answer Peanuckle.

peanuckle
03-09-2005, 04:09 AM
No prob my man. Once I get my webcam in I will video conference you and we can see how good the picture is.

Tanner

trydberg
03-09-2005, 04:18 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~tomrydberg/balloon_guy.gif

Balloon guy http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

- Tom

Jozvex
03-09-2005, 04:20 AM
heathenPagan]Hey Jozvex,

Where abouts did you order your cam from? I've been checking out the same model today and the shops are all asking around the $200 mark here too....

The best place I found was:

http://www.buyquick.com.au/shop/Product.asp?ID=LOG2324

fluffybunny
03-09-2005, 04:26 AM
I got my (4) Quickcam 4000's from Dell about a year or two ago and only paid US$50 each for them, but now it looks like they're US$99 everywhere....even if dell still had them cheap, it wouldn't be much help for those in Oz.
I've been doing a little animation jam session with a friend (well, tonight will be night 2...and he's late) over IM and Ventrilo. I tried using the QC4000 mic and the problem was that it was TOO good. It picks up all of the background noise and manages to pick up the sound from my speakers quite easily even though I attempted to kinda isolate the two.
So if he ever shows up tonight, I'm going to use my USB wireless headset which I normally use for games.

eric

p.s. He just showed up...time to animate :bounce:

hideandfreak
03-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Can't believe we start classes so soon. On that note, this will probably be the end of the line for F5. You guys and gals rock, thanks for reading and thanks for all the feedback.

http://www.aaronrobbins.com/amComic/ar_F5_LightsCamera_Web.jpg

Thanks again!

stewartjones
03-09-2005, 08:26 AM
That's awesome dude... I hadn't thought about lighting! HEHE!!! :thumbsup:

maelstrom
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Can't believe we start classes so soon. On that note, this will probably be the end of the line for F5. You guys and gals rock, thanks for reading and thanks for all the feedback.

http://www.aaronrobbins.com/amComic/ar_F5_LightsCamera_Web.jpg

Thanks again!

you are now officially elected AM cartoonist! :applause:

Jeremy Hopkins
03-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey trydberg, cool stuff. I like the way you're thinking about different character beats - happy bouncy walk before the balloon pops and a sad moping walk afterwards. The balloon really is a nifty idea and I'd never would've thought of that. I'm by no means a mentor but I've got a couple suggestions. One would be to label your drawings on 2's if they're shot on 2's. So if you shoot your drawings as 1, 3, 5, 7, label them the same way. Otherwise it gets really confusing trying to match up numbers if there are any revisions. Typically a panning walk cycle requires the character movement to be on 1's if the bg is also moving. Since your bg is static, I believe it's ok to shoot on 2's(correct me if I'm wrong about this anyone). The mechanics of your walk are pretty good. Remember that their is a high point and a low point to a walk(the head normally doesn't stay in the same spot) Movement typically starts in the hips and moves outward. Don't forget the importance of the scapula and clavicle when moving the arms. Start with the scapula - upper arm - lower arm - hand drags through and fingers follow. Richard Williams has some excellent examples in his book. Also check on Milt Kahls walk cycles - he's brilliant with the technical aspect of traditional animation. Remember motivation and what motivates a character. When the balloon pops, it'll be the sound that causes your guy to turn. So when the it does pop, he should be shocked for moment(think about a loud bang) and then turn. His thought process could be - "I'm happy with my balloon", LOUD BANG, "huh?", "ahh, my balloon... darn..", "I'm going to home to cry". Something of that nature at least... I mean you don't have to write it out like that. :P Don't forget to thumbnail and do your key poses first. Then shoot that and do a rough timing. Once your happy with that, add some breakdowns, and finish off with inbetweens. Hope this helps and good luck animating :)

Bentagon - There's absolutely nothing wrong with "just animating" a bouncing ball. It's the simplest but on of the most important exercises. Check out Cameron Miyasaki's web page and his bouncing ball test. He has two distinctly different characters that distinguish themselves with their character beats and acting. Acting which includes a little pathos too. Great stuff and shows that a complex character isn't needed to make entertainment or tell a story.

hideandfreak - Too bad... I'm going to miss the F5 comics.

Kenny_Rocks
03-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Tom,

I LOVE the Balloon Guy !!
That's really cool dude !!

:)

That's made me smile.

Bentagon
03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Bentagon - There's absolutely nothing wrong with "just animating" a bouncing ball. It's the simplest but on of the most important exercises. Check out Cameron Miyasaki's web page and his bouncing ball test. He has two distinctly different characters that distinguish themselves with their character beats and acting. Acting which includes a little pathos too. Great stuff and shows that a complex character isn't needed to make entertainment or tell a story.Did I say there was something wrong with that? I was saying "I'd almost hate myself for animating so little" because I don't do enough of it ! :D
It's just difficult for me to find the time inbetween studying and basketball. I wish I could animate balls 24/7 !!:bounce:
I learn a great deal from it, and it's fun too!

And Cameron's bouncin' balls are great... I keep on checking them out once in a while.

- Benjamin

andy_maxman
03-09-2005, 01:50 PM
ok......who is your favourite animated character?

mine is Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc.....
i simply love that guy........he is the funniest animated character i have ever enjoyed. and i simply love his expressions and the way he communicates with his eye. he is my idol for acting. i can go non-stop about Mikey.....*drools-all-over*.......:drool:

philippeduvin
03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes same to me !! Mike is so great ! and Billy Crystal voice is amazing... 'think romantic, you and me, me and you, all of us togetherrrrrrrr ! " AMAZING !! :thumbsup: I would LOVE animating this character !

AKS
03-09-2005, 01:57 PM
The Giant in the Iron Giant. So simple (model-wise) and yet so expressive. Actually it's a tie between him and the sisters in Belleville Rendez-vous who are just cool!! Especially when they go and "catch" the frogs...

Hey someone a while back had talked about re-rigging the Maya models for XSI. Has anyone done this already? I might have a crack at it this weekend if not, but my rigging skills are not the best. I already own XSI Foundation so I can't really justify buying Maya. Plus I REALLY like animating in XSI. Anyways, if someone has already done it please speak up, otherwise I'll try to get on it this weekend and send models out to whoever wants them.

andy_maxman
03-09-2005, 02:00 PM
'think romantic, you and me, me and you, all of us togetherrrrrrrr ! " AMAZING !! :thumbsup:

that shot is awesome mate........i love that part

Bentagon
03-09-2005, 02:18 PM
My favourite animated character? Probably Genie from Aladdin, or Beast from Beauty and the Beast. Best CG character, I'd have to go with Dory... such an expressive character, while it has no arms or legs!! Or maybe Scrat! He's just the funniest character I've ever seen in a movie, animated or not.

In Monsters, Inc., I actually prefer both Sully and Boo over Mike. Yes, Mike was funny and did have crazy good animation, but overall I felt that (with the exception of a couple of scenes) he was more like a slapstick "has to be funny"-kinda character. Sully and Boo just had sooo much emotion and depth.

- Benjamin

mattmos
03-09-2005, 02:21 PM

Got to be Gromit from Wallace and Gromit, I just love those eyebrows :)

Jeremy Hopkins
03-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Did I say there was something wrong with that? I was saying "I'd almost hate myself for animating so little" because I don't do enough of it !
It's just difficult for me to find the time inbetween studying and basketball. I wish I could animate balls 24/7 !!
I learn a great deal from it, and it's fun too!

Hey no worries, I totally understand how you feel. I animate 24/7 between work and home, and I still feel like I don't animate enough. Basketball is a great form of animation study. You're learning about arcs, follow through, and timing. Come September you'll be rock'n through AM.

Marty15
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Mines the Dog from Belleville Rendez-vous, just captures the spirit of my dog perfectly :)

Either that or Gromit from Wallace and Gromit, he's just so expressionate!

mgarward
03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Too... many..... Too... hard... to... choose...

Okay... Beast from Beauty and the Beast, because it's my fave movie and he's my fave character. So much emotion (and not simple emotion at that), so expressive, so fluidly-animated, and so much detail. I love the part where his wound is being tended by Belle, after she says "Well if you hadn't frightened me I wouldn't have run away." and he tries to retort, can't, and then seems so self-satisifed when he finally comes up with something. Awesome.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

On a pure animation and movement level, Timon (those hands!) and DAFFY DUCK, but only when Chuck Jones is involved.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif (Duck Amuck... just awesome).

And I am going to agree with others who mentioned Gromit, for expression and using what you've got. You can read his thoughts thanks to those prehensile eyebrows.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif (And John Lassiter's short films, coaxing emotion out of objects like table lamps and unicycles, has to rate a mention.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif )

stewartjones
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM

It's gotta be Jack Skellington from the Nightmare Before Christmas. I just love the character design on that guy, IMO he is the best designed character I have seen. The Christmas Town scene is awesome too, he is very expressive!

Mike is definately close behind though, shmoosy-poohs! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

bobbyc
03-09-2005, 05:18 PM

In addition to all that has been mentioned above, I loved Kronk and Isma in The Emperor's New Groove.

Can't forget Tarzan.

Oh, and Dean, Hogarth and his mama in Iron Giant.

geez.. too many to list.

-b

AZL42
03-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm a Ghibli fan so I have to add Nausica from Nausica of the Valley of Wind and Taeko from Only Yesterday. Also Dory from Nemo. (I hope this question doesn't get us too far off subject)

AjaBogdanoff
03-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Okay, maybe it's not the best character animation ever, but Billy in Billy's Balloon just kills me. I saw it at a Spike and Mike's festival many years ago, and it was definitely one of those, "I want to do THAT!" kinds of experiences.

Maybe I'll watch it again when I get home. :D

Feto
03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi there! I got in too! :D

Congratulations to all of u who succeed, and c-ya there ;

Just a question, in the documentation they say to make 2 copies of the Enrollment Agreement. Do we have to send both of them or is just one for them and one for us?

Thnx

melmann
03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
invader zim and gir. so many to choose from the ones metioned are all great thought Id put these guys here.

Guiliguili
03-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Just a question, in the documentation they say to make 2 copies of the Enrollment Agreement. Do we have to send both of them or is just one for them and one for us?

You have to resend the both. Them somebody at AM will sign the both and will resent one for you.

Parlo
03-09-2005, 07:02 PM
13% I do believe. Only serve it in halves and don't for god's sake try mixing it with a vodka and redbull... Definitely one of my favourite places in the whole of Brizzle. Might even go for a quick pint of cider tonight in celebration :)

Good to see some westcountry folks in the fold... Nice work by the way Sam, is that an animation mentor style model I see before me ;)

13%? Wow, that explains alot. I remember being dragged there on my first night out in Clifton. That's about all I do remember though. Whenever I bump into a fellow Bristolian, we always end up talking about that place. Talk about an institution.

Thanks for the comment on the anims. Yeah, they are very AMish aren't they! Last year someone posted 2 models to the Hash Forum, based on the models that featured in the first AM video. I did a little bit of tweaking and then used them for some test pieces. I learnt alot from them. I'm hoping to learn alot more with them in the non-too-distant. :)

stewartjones
03-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone!

If you are like me and have a thousand questions for Bobby then be sure to come along to a 'live' text chat with him next week.

DATE: Wednesday 16th March 2005
TIME: 1.00am(GMT)... That's 5pm(PST)
LINK: http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp

It would be awesome to get some students in there to chat before AMO's first class, and if you know of anyone who is interested in joining, or not too sure about it make sure that you let them know!

The link is active now for you to have a check in, but obviously Boom won't be there till Wednesday! :)

Cheers

-Stu

clockwerkz
03-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Hey that's awesome, Vyntax.. I'll definitely be there with my sheet of questions!

cW

trydberg
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Hey Jeremy and Kenny,

Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful feedback. It's amazing how much you can learn about animation from doing pencil tests. Figuring out how the string moves when he's dragging the balloon was more difficult than I had imagined. I agree that his reaction could be stronger after the balloon pops and the timing in places needs tweaking. I think when the balloon pops, it should move more quickly and chaotically like a real balloon. I originally put this together in Flash and then exported it as an animated gif. I noticed that the overall timing was affected based on the size of the gif file.

Thanks again,

- Tom :)

swadepgh
03-10-2005, 03:10 AM
invader zim and gir. so many to choose from the ones metioned are all great thought Id put these guys here.

Gir is great! So funny! :thumbsup:

I really like the no face character in "Spirited Away."

Then of course there is always Dorie in "Nemo" and Mommy Fortuna in "The Last Unicorn." I guess it's too hard to pick just one. Those are just a few of the many characters I admire.

andy_maxman
03-10-2005, 03:54 AM
hi guys,
i had requested for a schedule alteration from Spring to Summer Term and it has been accepted. i am thrilled.
is there anyone else who has been accepted for the Summer Term?
cheers!

i want to add 'Genie' ....he is so much fun to watch......would 3d ever get as flexible? (*hopes for a no-flaming discussion*)
keep'em_coming!

imyrbiwi
03-10-2005, 03:58 AM
hi am newbie here...........:)

darkefire
03-10-2005, 04:32 AM
i second and third Gir as my favorite animated thing of all time. i have countless half-finished models made in Gir's image. maybe for the short in our final project i can whip one of them out and get some cel-shading action going?:thumbsup:

fluffybunny
03-10-2005, 05:08 AM
hi guys,
i had requested for a schedule alteration from Spring to Summer Term and it has been accepted. i am thrilled.
is there anyone else who has been accepted for the Summer Term?
cheers!

hey Andy!

I just got a notice today that I was accepted for Summer :thumbsup:

I've got alot of work todo between now and then. I'm excited enough that I wanted to start now, but I have to quench a few 'irons that are in the fire' first. I'm finishing my Instrument Rating for flying and I have a high school kid that I am "Mentoring"...which I say loosely cause I'm not organized enough about the topic to be a good teacher. We (mostly I) are building a small board to encrypt/decrypt serial comm with AES/RC4/DES and hopefully some version of the Enigma algorithm. I also have a little yard project that needs finishing and I need to get my drawing skills upto the point where I can do decent thumbnails.
Some of those drawing for animators links that people had suggested earlier are things I'm really gonna look into.

Looking forward to being your classmate!

eric

andy_maxman
03-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Goodluck Eric! See you onBoard _soon!!
And to all the rest who got in for the Summer Term.:thumbsup:

AKS
03-10-2005, 07:39 AM
i want to add 'Genie' ....he is so much fun to watch......would 3d ever get as flexible? (*hopes for a no-flaming discussion*)

I agree, the Genie is an amazing piece of animation. As far as flexibility in 3d, I saw a talk about the rigs used for "Chicken Little" at a festival a while back and they showed some of the animation tests they had done. They were absolutely amazing. It looked like it could have been 2d with all the squash and stretch and deformation that you could get with hand-drawing. I think it takes a combination of a great rig and a great animator to achieve something like this, but it's definately possible.

Breinmeester
03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I've been accepted for summer term. Thank you AM and see you soon!!

sinbad
03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
This has been the longest week of my life, but..........

IM IN!! Accepted for the Summer.
Man this is the best thing thats ever happened to me, I think I'm going to cry on my keyboard.

WE'RE ALL ONE BIG FAMILY!!

AKS
03-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Congrats to all the Summer people!!!

And to everyone else too, Congrats all round!

LIGHTYEAR
03-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Has anyone recieved an Email with their Student ID Number yet? It said "early next week" on the acceptance Email and its Wednesday? Just checkin.

stewartjones
03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Has anyone recieved an Email with their Student ID Number yet? It said "early next week" on the acceptance Email and its Wednesday? Just checkin.

Nah I aint received mine yet. Wish they would send it though, 'coz am gonna have to pay for first class air mail if they don't hurry some! :eek:

polymath
03-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I guess they've been working on finishing the summer applicants so that's why there is some delay in Spring student IDs, but I think an earlier poster noted that they would send them by the end of the week ;). Give them time!

LIGHTYEAR
03-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Was just wondering as I'm about to send back my x2 copies of the Enrollment Agreement without having indicated how Im paying? Is that OK?

stewartjones
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Was just wondering as I'm about to send back my x2 copies of the Enrollment Agreement without having indicated how Im paying? Is that OK?

I would think they need to know how you're paying. Plus you need your student ID, so I am guessing it would be wise to wait a little longer?!?!

disrupt
03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Can't we just start this thing already!? Man these last 2 weeks have seemed like 2 months. I want to start AM so bad, but I guess we have to wait.....................................a little longer.

mindspin00
03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
yeah, I'm with ya. These delays have been a bit frustrating. :/ I'm sure those guys have a mountain of work on their plate though. I'm sure they want to get it right. I'd rather have to deal with my excitement and delays then be in a program that's "not quite ready" ya know?

-eric

mattmos
03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I would think they need to know how you're paying. Plus you need your student ID, so I am guessing it would be wise to wait a little longer?!?!

You only need your student ID if you're sending back a cheque or money order right? At least that's how I'm reading it. If you paying by credit card they will get in touch with you...

LIGHTYEAR
03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeh I guess thats right, just concerned that its only 6 short days till it all needs to be there, and a winning combination of the UK & US postal services could alter the course of my life.

LIGHTYEAR
03-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Just had this reply from AM:

"We haven't sent out the student ID#'s out yet, we apologize for this.
You do not need to wait for the ID# if you will be paying by credit
card, you can go ahead and send in your student enrollment agreements.

Thank you,

Luis Guillen"

philippeduvin
03-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeh I guess thats right, just concerned that its only 6 short days till it all needs to be there, and a winning combination of the UK & US postal services could alter the course of my life.

Yes especially in this beautiful country like France where the postals are just going from strikes to strikes !! Sometimes, I just hate my country....US, I promised I'll come back to you SOOON ! :p

philippeduvin
03-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Just had this reply from AM:

"We haven't sent out the student ID#'s out yet, we apologize for this.
You do not need to wait for the ID# if you will be paying by credit
card, you can go ahead and send in your student enrollment agreements.

Thank you,

Luis Guillen"

So go go to the postals !! :)

Bentagon
03-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey everyone!

If you are like me and have a thousand questions for Bobby then be sure to come along to a 'live' text chat with him next week.

DATE: Wednesday 16th March 2005
TIME: 1.00am(GMT)... That's 5pm(PST)
LINK: http://www.biganimation.com/magazine/chat.asp

It would be awesome to get some students in there to chat before AMO's first class, and if you know of anyone who is interested in joining, or not too sure about it make sure that you let them know!

The link is active now for you to have a check in, but obviously Boom won't be there till Wednesday! :)

Cheers

-StuIs that 16th PST, as in 17th GMT, or 16th GMT, as in 15th PST? Can't wait to talk to Bobby again. I'll have to hurry and finish that interview :o

Still haven't received any mail about acceptance... I'll mail them to see if they're sending those mails to Fall peeps too.

- Benjamin

AjaBogdanoff
03-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Okay, I'm also a little confused about the High School transcript thing. Do we just need to have mailed the request form to our high school by the 17th, or does the high school need to have mailed them the transcript by the 17th?

And I'm paying by check, so I guess I'll wait to mail stuff until I hear about the ID# thing?

Eyemagic
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, a few minutes ago, I've tried to enter in Animationmentor.com, and suddenly, the web, demands me a username and password...:surprised. This means that the student identification is required. I said that, because I'm still not received any e-mail with my SI#. This is happening only to me..........arghhhhhh, the wait is killing me :banghead:

AjaBogdanoff
03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
No, it's not the student ID, something's wrong with their server..... :surprised

stewartjones
03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Is that 16th PST, as in 17th GMT, or 16th GMT, as in 15th PST? Can't wait to talk to Bobby again. I'll have to hurry and finish that interview :o

Still haven't received any mail about acceptance... I'll mail them to see if they're sending those mails to Fall peeps too.

- Benjamin

DOH'! :banghead:

Sorry, that would make it 1.00am on the 17th GMT. So 5.00pm 16th PST...

Cheers for pointing that out Bentagon! :thumbsup:

kenshi
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
DOH'! :banghead:

Sorry, that would make it 1.00am on the 17th GMT. So 5.00pm 16th PST...

Cheers for pointing that out Bentagon! :thumbsup:

so that means 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time (so, essentially 5pm California time) on the 16th?

Bentagon
03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Yup. Boy, that room will be crowded! I wonder how he's gonna point out the people who can ask a question :p

- Benjamin

Guiliguili
03-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, a few minutes ago, I've tried to enter in Animationmentor.com, and suddenly, the web, demands me a username and password...:surprised. This means that the student identification is required. I said that, because I'm still not received any e-mail with my SI#. This is happening only to me..........arghhhhhh, the wait is killing me :banghead:

The site is working well for me

Eyemagic
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
The site is working well for me

Yeah!, yeah!. Now is working well, sorry.......... I have to relax me........:D

jono338
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, finally, that feels good. Just posted of my application. Yeeee-Hhaaa!

stewartjones
03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
so that means 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time (so, essentially 5pm California time) on the 16th?

That's right dude!

If there are too many questions for Bobby you will be put onto a waiting list, till Bobby answers 'em!

Sending off my application forms tomorrow! OOOoooooOoo it's nearly time, a week Monday! :beer:

Bentagon
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Heehee! Already got mail back from Rosie, and I'm currently being reviewed. Thumbs up and cross your fingers for me people. And if you're christian/muslim/... gimme a prayer too ;)
I'm pretty confident I'll get in, though, but it's still very exciting :D

Was just listening to my interview with Bobby again, and his energy always gets me pumped up :D

- Benjamin

My Fault
03-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Bentagon: Any chance of just converting your interview to mp3 so we could download. I'm sure we could come up with numerous mirrors so it wouldn't kill your website.... then we too could hear Bobby's excitement.

tredeger
03-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey someone a while back had talked about re-rigging the Maya models for XSI. Has anyone done this already? I might have a crack at it this weekend if not, but my rigging skills are not the best. I already own XSI Foundation so I can't really justify buying Maya. Plus I REALLY like animating in XSI. Anyways, if someone has already done it please speak up, otherwise I'll try to get on it this weekend and send models out to whoever wants them.

I intend to work in XSI if possible. They have some really nice anim features, not least of which is a proper NLE. I had every expectation that I would need to re-rig the models from the maya files and intend to do so post haste. But I didn't realize the files had even been made available yet. Where do you get them? Point the way and I'll let you know when I've got a working rig. I'm sure between all the XSI users who will be taking the course, we'll be able to come up with something pretty close to optimal.

clockwerkz
03-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Bentagon, my man, here's a shoe. :thumbsup:

I'm sending off my two printouts tomorrow morning as well. It'll be a week away this coming Monday. How cool is that??

In the immortal words of Nemo:
"First day of school! First day of school!"

cW

Bentagon
03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
thanks guys!

My Fault: I could... but the sound quality is really REALLY bad, and it starts with 5 minutes messing around with settings and the cameras etc... and this happens again after like 15 minutes. I d plan to put some soundbytes online from when it's just funny to hear him speak or he gets really excited, and I also plan to add pictures of some of the crazy expressions Bobby's face makes while talking ;)

And if that isn't enough, you could always contact him personnally inside AM Online ;)

- Benjamin

WOOOOHOOOOO! Just got the mail while typing! I'M IN!!! !!! !!!

RayenD
03-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Great, just got accepted. See you all in the summer.

Rabid pitbull
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
I intend to work in XSI if possible. They have some really nice anim features, not least of which is a proper NLE. I had every expectation that I would need to re-rig the models from the maya files and intend to do so post haste. But I didn't realize the files had even been made available yet. Where do you get them? Point the way and I'll let you know when I've got a working rig. I'm sure between all the XSI users who will be taking the course, we'll be able to come up with something pretty close to optimal.

I too have a copy of foundation and love it, but I am going to get a copy of maya edu just to keep things easy. I personally am not interested in spending extra time re-rigging characters trying to mimick the characters provided by AM. I would rather focus strictly on animation. I really would like to use xsi for my final project though in the last two classes. Only time will tell.

-James

mikep1980
03-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey guys!

Just wanted to give a heads up. I just got a call from a woman at AM. She called to take my credit card information. Extremely nice lady!! She also told me that Luis is my advisor and will be calling me in the next couple of days with my student ID and "to welcome me into AM".

Anyways thought that little bit of info might help out! Anyone else get the call??

-Mike

trydberg
03-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Okay, I'm also a little confused about the High School transcript thing. Do we just need to have mailed the request form to our high school by the 17th, or does the high school need to have mailed them the transcript by the 17th?

And I'm paying by check, so I guess I'll wait to mail stuff until I hear about the ID# thing?

As I understand it from the registration checklist, you have the option of sending a copy of your High School Diploma OR a completed High School Transcript form. So if I have this right, you can simply copy your diploma and leave the transcript form alone.

To play it safe, I'd make sure they receive your registration package by the 17th, so mail it soon, like tomorrow. You may need to call them to find out what to do about the check situation though. Paying by credit card seems like the safest approach to me.

- Tom

textureyes
03-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey guys!

Just wanted to give a heads up. I just got a call from a woman at AM. She called to take my credit card information. Extremely nice lady!! She also told me that Luis is my advisor and will be calling me in the next couple of days with my student ID and "to welcome me into AM".

Anyways thought that little bit of info might help out! Anyone else get the call??

-Mike
yeahhhhh i got the call....
just waiting for Luis to set me up with id stuff to.....
its getting near at last....
see you all in there...

clockwerkz
03-11-2005, 12:26 AM
textureyes and mikep, I'm assuming you guys already mailed in your packets??

cW

I just noticed that the very famous "Rosie" from AM is listed on the bottom of current members. Welcome to our little waiting game thread, Rosie!

mikep1980
03-11-2005, 12:43 AM
textureyes and mikep, I'm assuming you guys already mailed in your packets??

I sent my packet in about 4 days ago. But I also live really close to Berkeley.

Tyrdberg, I agree the credit card just seemed much more secure and no waiting for ID#s to clear.

-Mike

SOo Exciting!! :thumbsup:

heathenPagan
03-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm sitting here hoping people are still getting accepted, 'cos I still haven't heard.....
Do AM contact people whether they are in or not, or do you only get an email if you're in?

I'm dyin' here............

Guiliguili
03-11-2005, 01:12 AM
I just got a call from a woman at AM. She called to take my credit card information.

How did this woman know that you are paying with your credit card ? Did you all Am before ?

Guiliguili
03-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Sorry for the missing letter C in my text.

I must type : did you call AM before ?

textureyes
03-11-2005, 01:14 AM
i send my forms as soon as I got em... print read post

AZL42
03-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Also, there is a check box, or rather a place to initial that says you are paying by check or credit card. Also, you are allowed to edit your posts in case you make typos.

Jozvex
03-11-2005, 01:26 AM
I'm sending mine out th'safternoon.

And when people were talking about their favourite animated characters I was thinking.......there's just too many to have a favourite!! I can't choose! I think Lilo from Lilo & Stitch is really hilarious. That movie really surprised me.

Rather than having a favourite character I often think more about about precise moments or scenes that I thought were great. Like some moments with Hopper from A Bug's Life I thought were really great (though I forget which ones right now), definitely the mother and Hogarth in The Iron Giant have some really fantastic moments (like pretty much that whole section while Hogarth is home alone, starting from the phone conversation). Dory is right up there (possibly my favourite), the praying mantis in Bug's Life in some parts, Boo when she's catching the popcorn (or cereal?) in her mouth, some other fish in Finding Nemo like.....the one that says "Or if I'm not around, you can always talk to my sister Flo. Hi, how are you! Don't listen to anything my sister says, she's nuts!".

There's just too much greatness to choose from!

Kimotion
03-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Also, there is a check box, or rather a place to initial that says you are paying by check or credit card. Also, you are allowed to edit your posts in case you make typos.

woah, I gotta send mine out then if I am to receive that phone call....

Jozvex
03-11-2005, 01:35 AM
Also, there is a check box, or rather a place to initial that says you are paying by check or credit card.

There is? I thought they just assumed that if you didn't include a cheque or money order with your forms you must be paying by credit card.

Trevor Hunsaker
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Fall Term!! I'll be seeing you schmoes around AM!! If only I could figure out how to do that bouncy smile!!

p.s. Seems like the forums don't like me to use more 4 exclamation marks. Had to pare that down.

*bounce* bounce* bounce* bounce* bounce*

molson67
03-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Someone called my wife today and got our Credit card info
Yippeee
I sent my registration package on Monday, From Canada

Yippe.
Louis will be contacting me
I am so stoked!!

Mark

mmkelly011881
03-11-2005, 02:57 AM
just set mine downstairs to be mailed tomorrow!!!

it feels so close

*back to animating*

AZL42
03-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Do you guys have any tips on getting a ball to emote?

jschleifer
03-11-2005, 04:09 AM
sure.. depends on what it is you're trying to emote! :)

if the ball is excited and happy, it'll be bouncing around, spending more time in the air than on the ground. It'll jump.. wiggle.. bounce.. all sorts of fun things (think of a puppy!).

If the ball is sad, it'll stay low to the ground.. roll slowly.. it may lift for a bit, then sigh back down..

if the ball is scared, it's movements will be very tentative.. it might, for example roll up to something, roll forward really slowly untill it touches it, then in 2 frames leap back and scramble for cover.

if the ball is stalking another ball, it will just follow it until the first ball stops, then slowly continue to follow as the other ball keeps moving..

just think about how you would emote something, think about how you would physically embody that emotion.. and then try and transfer it to a sphere moving around. it's actually a lot of fun!

-jason

fluffybunny
03-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Do you guys have any tips on getting a ball to emote?

I was going to suggest a few sessions of regression hypnosis, but Jason's answer sounds much better :wise:

eric

AZL42
03-11-2005, 04:23 AM
Thanks.

What I'm trying to animate is a big bad heavy ball intimidating and chasing a small light squishy ball. The light ball runs away, perhaps like a rabbit, and the big heavy ball chases; the little ball gets cornered against a wall, but finds a mouse hole and squeezes through. The big ball tries to knock the wall down, but a big squishy ball, lets little squishy jump on him, till hes jumping really high and then can jump over the big ball to safety.

Wow, that sounds a lot longer after writing it all out as text. In just starting it I was having trouble introducing the big ball as a threat and making sure people get that the little ball is afraid before it starts running away. I tried having it stretch away, as if it was looking up at the big ball, quiver, squash down and then jump away, but it isnt coming across yet. I just started working on it though.

Maybe I'll try starting with the little ball happy so maybe it'll come across more since it'll be a change in behavior.

jschleifer
03-11-2005, 04:35 AM
wow! that IS a lot! :)

I'd suggest first seeing if you can two sample "bounce cycles".. one of little happy joy joy ball bouncing and having a grand ol' time.. and another of the forboading evil ball, bouncing with a purpose.

for example, if you have a camera tracking along with the balls, the happy joy joy ball will probably bounce and then hang in the air for a bit while he travels.. kind of light and happy.. like "bounce-wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee-bounce-wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

and then if you do one of the borboading evil ball, imagine a soundtrack for it.. like "boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom" and make him bounce to that beat.. very steady.. very much like he's stomping along, trying to over-take something.

I've found that it can sometimes be helpful to do stuff like that when trying to come up with how a character works.. then you've got them in your head & you can start working on tougher shots.

-jas

fluffybunny
03-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks.

What I'm trying to animate is a big bad heavy ball intimidating and chasing a small light squishy ball. The light ball runs away, perhaps like a rabbit, and the big heavy ball chases; the little ball gets cornered against a wall, but finds a mouse hole and squeezes through. The big ball tries to knock the wall down, but a big squishy ball, lets little squishy jump on him, till hes jumping really high and then can jump over the big ball to safety.

one thing that comes to my mind (a very inexperienced one animationwise, mind you), is that you probably want to emphasize the difference in weight between the two balls.
You can exaggerate gravity as one way to bring this across by making any hops that the big ball does spend less time in the air and more time in the squash/heave portion of its hop. The converse applies for the little ball...he(she?) is light so gravity "affects" the little ball less and it actually springs and floats more.
I'd think you might have to be a little careful at overdoing this, though...but it sounds fun to experiment with :)

eric

darkefire
03-11-2005, 05:07 AM
just my two cents here: wouldnt the larger ball spend a little more time in the air than the smaller? i mean, i get gravity and all that, but what about inertia? large objects that are in motion/stillness tend to stay in motion/stillness, and dont like to change velocity (speed or direction). so the big ball, with all its force, would jump into the air, hang for a split sec, and then come thundering down. while the little ball would do its quick little boing-boing springy step thing....

jschleifer
03-11-2005, 05:15 AM
that could happen, sure! that's why it's a good idea to try it and see.. my instincts tell me that the little ball will be able to do both.. it's so light and happy that it can actually "escape" gravity for a bit, while the heavy ball is a bit more bound to real "gravity".. it doesn't have happy emotions which can allow it to "soar".

does that make sense? you know how when you're in a good mood, it can feel like you're lighter than air, and when you're upset and angry you completely feel the earth pulling on you? That's the fun thing about animation.. you can explore those feelings and find ways of representing them in physical ways!

darkefire
03-11-2005, 05:24 AM
dammit. now i actually wanna try it and see if it could look convincing. look what you've made me do, schleifer!! :D

3FnD
03-11-2005, 05:29 AM
if the ball is excited and happy, it'll be bouncing around, spending more time in the air than on the ground. It'll jump.. wiggle.. bounce.. all sorts of fun things (think of a puppy!).

to go along with what schleifer said, when Luxo, Jr. hops in the air and wiggles his base in delight.

BTW, "bounce-wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee-bounce-wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!" was funny!

AZL42
03-11-2005, 05:30 AM
I've never really seen a heavy person get much air...
I had been thinking of the heavy ball as a bowling ball which would have little squash and strech, but I'll try loosing it up and emphasizing the prep to take off Eric.

Thanks Jason, the advice has already started to help. I'll work on it more tomorow, but the soundtrack and working on them alone has already made it easier for me to see how they'll move.

Thank you guys for discussing this with me. This is great! I'd keep getting stuck and moving on to reading a book about animation (and there's always more to read) or something else when trying to do these things on my own.

Now if I can only remember to move my time slider along before adjusting my chars:-)

jschleifer
03-11-2005, 05:44 AM
coool!! glad it's been a help! :) have fun!

fluffybunny
03-11-2005, 06:23 AM
just my two cents here: wouldnt the larger ball spend a little more time in the air than the smaller? i mean, i get gravity and all that, but what about inertia? large objects that are in motion/stillness tend to stay in motion/stillness, and dont like to change velocity (speed or direction). so the big ball, with all its force, would jump into the air, hang for a split sec, and then come thundering down. while the little ball would do its quick little boing-boing springy step thing....

okay...well, you got me questioning my instincts which is a good thing.
So I tried my version of a test:
Hopping balls (http://www.cgwabbit.com/wip/hoptest.avi)

The one on the left spends more time at the peak and to try and make their travel time similar the one on the right leaves later and lands sooner. I didn't want the ball on the right to look like it was lazily going up and back down, but more the same speed as the one on the left.

hopefully this won't taint anyone else's opinion, but I'm kind of torn myself. the one on the right does look heavier, but the hang time of the one on the left does do something interesting.
I'm kind of thinking that....well, I'm not really sure what I'm thinking.....if I were to increase the hang time and make the transition even faster I think the ball would just look more peppy, not necessarily meaner and heavier.

maybe some camera shake would be a good touch. maybe if the ball actually got larger at the apex?

this is fun...makes me wish I was starting now instead of summer....darn real life responsibilities anyhow ;)

eric

AZL42
03-11-2005, 07:54 AM
I like the tests, although I don't think either of them move the way I want my guys to move.

I've been skipping around town tonight going weeeeeee out-loud and then laughing and looking around to see if anyone heard me:-) Also I finally realized why I've had the phrase "Row! you b*st*rds!" in my head tonight. Eddie Izzard says boom-boom-boom-boom before it (Dress to Kill, Chapter 8)in a pacing that would be good for my heavy guy. (Eddie Izzard is my favorite stand-up comedian).

Anyway its past my bedtime so Ill let you guys know how things go tomorrow.

I think I just realized today that Ill be able to do this!

3FnD
03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
also is a transvestite,

you mean executive transvestite!

back to the ball issue one more thought. Maybe your big one can seem more menacing by your staging and shot composition. forgot to say that earlier, just an idea.

Oh, and about AM classes coming up soon...

I've been managing the waiting and excitement. And now that I've got the paperwork signed and on its way, I dont' know about you guys but now I'm excited!!!:bounce:

AZL42
03-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Executive and action transvestite! Running, jumping, climbing up trees, putting on makeup once you get there.

Yes I had planned on shooting the big ball from low angles. Also, I might cheat and have a sign that says Beware of Ball with a picture of the big ball. And a line that says do not cross. Figuring that the little ball is the mischievous playful type that will skip back and forth along a line that says do not cross; which would also kinda give the reason to the start of the conflict...

I can't sleep tonight, oh well.

Here's to us: :bounce:

AKS
03-11-2005, 09:20 AM
My thoughts on the ball animation :)

To get the right ball looking meaner and heavier it seems like it should go up maybe 1 or 2 frames slower than it comes now, still hang in the air like you have it, but come down faster in more of a "stomp", and then linger on the ground a little bit before heaving itself up again.

With the ball on the right are you going for a nerf type ball or a light air filled ball? I think if I was trying to do light and happy I would go with an air-filled type ball, like a small version of a dodge ball, that would have a snappy (minimal squash and stretch, although still there) contact with the ground and also a faster bounce than the heavier meaner ball. Maybe it gets 1 1/2 or almost 2 bounces to each of the bounces of the larger heavier ball.

AZL42, I also think staging will make a big difference in your piece. Also, are you going to have the balls come into shot already bouncing or have them roll in and start bouncing? For example if the smaller ball was rolling along and wanted to see over a fence or something (to look at the bigger ball for example) he would have to start himself bouncing, maybe by rolling up again something hard and bouncing off. By showing how much effort it takes him to start bouncing versus how much effort it takes the big mean one you might be able to show their different weights and personalities. Just a thought.

AKS
03-11-2005, 09:25 AM
But I didn't realize the files had even been made available yet. Where do you get them? Point the way and I'll let you know when I've got a working rig. I'm sure between all the XSI users who will be taking the course, we'll be able to come up with something pretty close to optimal.

Hey, no I don't have the maya rigs yet. I thought someone had mentioned that they had made something that looked right based what we've seen on the AM site so far. But I guess we should wait till we get the Maya models and see what features they have on them before trying to remake them in XSI. :)

It's SOOOO hard to wait.................... I want classes to start THIS monday, not a week from Monday....

MattEveritt
03-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Is this the biggest thread on cgtalk of all time?

over 3000 posts and 200000 views!!!
Does Jason get an award for starting it.

AZL42
03-11-2005, 10:06 AM
I haven't been able to find any bigger one on the site. I haven't seen that Jason post on this thread since back towards when he started it. I love his book, although it probably shouldn't have been one of the very first books I read on animation.

mattmos
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, no I don't have the maya rigs yet. I thought someone had mentioned that they had made something that looked right based what we've seen on the AM site so far. But I guess we should wait till we get the Maya models and see what features they have on them before trying to remake them in XSI. :)

It's SOOOO hard to wait.................... I want classes to start THIS monday, not a week from Monday....

I certainly don't mind having a crack at producing an AM model inside XSI. Shouldn't be difficult. The problem comes when there is a technical hitch, who is responsible? The person who provides the rig could end up being unoffical tech support for all the xsi animators - I think if people want to rig and animate inside their own package they need to take responsibility for themselves, otherwise it could lead to tricky situations down the line. Personally I will be using the provided models as there will be official support to hand and I don't think it's good to limit myself to one program (xsi is all I know atm). Might even find a second hand lightbox and brave a pencil or two!

maelstrom
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
so anyone having received his/her ID# yet? are you guys sending the registration forms in anyway?

@mattmos: i just saw 'the other side' for the first time. i like it a lot - very artistic, great idea! :applause:

Jeremy Hopkins
03-11-2005, 01:31 PM
and then if you do one of the borboading evil ball, imagine a soundtrack for it.. like "boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom" and make him bounce to that beat.. very steady.. very much like he's stomping along, trying to over-take something.

That's a really cool way of describing character beats. It gives me an image with words alone. Awesome!

Hey Eric, with your bouncing balls try to break up the timing so the stretch isn't even all the way up. Like Eric Goldburg said on the AM website, the breakdown is one the secrets to great animation. Try shifting your breakdown around and experiment with more drawings at the top versus more drawings at the bottom. Sorry I'm a traditional guy so I have no idea how to do that with the computer. Cool ideas and it'll be interesting to see them finished.

Thanks everyone for posting your info about AM. I did a double check and found out that I almost missed the second copy. Looks like we're going to a have a great group of people on board!

mattmos
03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
so anyone having received his/her ID# yet? are you guys sending the registration forms in anyway?

Yep, in the post today! Going for the credit card route because payment internationally is much easier :)

Edit - just in case of confusion I haven't received any ID yet...

@mattmos: i just saw 'the other side' for the first time. i like it a lot - very artistic, great idea! :applause:

Ta very much, I like your chicken too :D

sinbad
03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Right, I'm fired up. I'm off to bounce some balls tonight! (opps that sounded wierd)

Every emotion, you name it; happy, sad, mad, bad, glad, er... dad... oh no, alliteration overload....must....stop..

Anyway are there any guesses as to the first lesson? I'd imagine it would be some spherical object interacting with a surface, with some emotional nuance and personality. When I was at uni a few years ago, the tutors pretty much just said "go away and bounce a ball". Fantastic it was. None of us had a clue what we were meant to be doing.
I can be sure this time around that every single principle and subtle expression will be explored. I seriously can't wait.

One last thing, I wonder if the Spring guys will be allowed to discuss the content openly on the forum, I mean us Summer guys might even be able to prepare, and in my case, maybe even pass!

fluffybunny
03-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey Eric, with your bouncing balls try to break up the timing so the stretch isn't even all the way up. Like Eric Goldburg said on the AM website, the breakdown is one the secrets to great animation. Try shifting your breakdown around and experiment with more drawings at the top versus more drawings at the bottom. Sorry I'm a traditional guy so I have no idea how to do that with the computer. Cool ideas and it'll be interesting to see them finished.

good idea! I hadn't seen that quote from Eric Goldberg (or didn't remember it :o). And I think what Alison said earlier is very good too as far as making the heavy ball return to earth faster. I have to learn how to turn off my analytical mind sometimes since it says to me, "the transit time up equals the transit time down, barring any loss due to air resistance (which is usually negligible)".
I was initially trying to make them both exactly equal with the one on the left simply having a longer hang time and see what difference in impression that alone made. I think I'll try and tweak the timing to make the left ball look as light as possible, and the right one look as heavy as possible.

eric

Magenta_
03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
hi guys, im sending mine today. i just dont know, in legal terms, how do you cancel the blanks in exhibits b and c (forms of notice of cancellation and refund respectively) and how to cancel the back side of the sheet, if there is any leyend you should use or just a big X
i appreciate your advice! thanks.

mattmos
03-11-2005, 02:57 PM
hi guys, im sending mine today. i just dont know, in legal terms, how do you cancel the blanks in exhibits b and c (forms of notice of cancellation and refund respectively) and how to cancel the back side of the sheet, if there is any leyend you should use or just a big X
i appreciate your advice! thanks.

Just leave them blank! If you put anything there they will think it's a notice of cancellation :)

They will sign and return one copy which you then can use to cancel if necessary.

3FnD
03-11-2005, 03:46 PM
One last thing, I wonder if the Spring guys will be allowed to discuss the content openly on the forum, I mean us Summer guys might even be able to prepare, and in my case, maybe even pass!
I'd bet there will be forums in the actual AM site for discussing stuff between students. And it wouldn't surprise me if incoming students have access to those boards, too. Since it's a learning environment where sharing of ideas is encouraged, they probably make as much information as possible available to everyone.

Of course, I don't know what to expect for sure, these are just guesses.

Magenta_
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
hahaa!! ok, Mattmos, thanks a lot!

bobbyc
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM

i was waiting for my id too cause i'm sending them a check.

i emailed them and rosie replied:

" We had anticipated having the student ID's out to all the students
yesterday, but our automated admin tool was tested and there was still
one small thing that needed to be corrected. So we will be sending the
student ID numbers in the next few days.

You can go ahead and send your documents, and we will add your student
ID to them (the check) when we receive them.

I apologize for the inconvenience! "

so mine if off to the post office today.

if you have any questions, they are very happy to assist.

-b

havoc21
03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
got my call for credit card payment so i am in just have to wait for student ID now. also I am going to be using XSI for class if anyone else is in the Spring Term and will be using XSI it would be great to know in case any of us have any questions or such regarding the rigging issue.

AZL42
03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
The quote about the breakdowns is on the video clip of him on the animationmentor website.

Im2Dguy
03-11-2005, 07:29 PM
It's been real hard to lurk on this thread...
If anyone is interested,
I'm in for the spring session,
paperwork is in the mail...

I've been traking some of you guys here,
compitition on the AM site should be good.
Best of lkuck to all see you online soon..
-B

stewartjones
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Just posted my application forms via UPS! Animation Mentor should get them Monday! WOOHOO!!! Not long now!!! :bounce:

Guiliguili
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Just posted my two application forms via FedEx. The FedEx guy said that Animation Mentor should get them Monday.
10 days before the great day :thumbsup:

stewartjones
03-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Just posted my two application forms via FedEx. The FedEx guy said that Animation Mentor should get them Monday.
10 days before the great day :thumbsup:

Just outta interest, how much did it cost for you to send them? Mine was 31.50 :sad:

Guiliguili
03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi Vyntax,

the price to send by fedex from Tahiti to San Francisco (just in front of me, but 8 hours by plane) is near us$ 58.
Expensive but with the Tahitian Post they will get my enrollment for the Summer session :)

stewartjones
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Expensive but with the Tahitian Post they will get my enrollment for the Summer session :)

Try the UK's Royal Mail service... It would just get lost!!! :D

philippeduvin
03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Try with the french one :) ... the plane even does'nt take off...strike strikes strikes !! :twisted:

kirko
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Well, I sent mine off today too. Set me back almost $2, it did. Come 5 o'clock it will leave the mailroom and begin its journey across the bay to sunny Berkeley :thumbsup:

liquidik
03-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Well guys, italian mail just costs like UPS, 21 euros. They should receive it on Monday too :)

I just can't stop thinking about AM, and I'm saving energy for them... :)

mmkelly011881
03-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone have any idea what the schedule is going to be? I have to change my work schedule around so that i can work around it... and if it's starting the 21st i have to give some notice.

I work 1pm-10pm EST 10am-7pm PST so i would imagine the actual classes or critique would be some time during those times... Need to figure out when so i can switch it up with someone.

kirko
03-11-2005, 10:25 PM
I work 1pm-10pm EST 10am-7pm PST so i would imagine the actual classes or critique would be some time during those times... Need to figure out when so i can switch it up with someone.

I don't think the classes and critiques are live, so you can watch them whenever. The weekly Q&A sessions are live, though--no idea when those will be.

mmkelly011881
03-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks Kirko... thats what im looking for...the times of the Q&As.. i couldnt think of what they were called

hideandfreak
03-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Ok, so I lied and had to do another F5. I got the idea while driving home from the USPS thinking to myself, "Did I really just give my enrollment agreement to a federal employee?" Hope you enjoy!

http://www.aaronrobbins.com/amComic/ar_F5_Billygram_Web.jpg

and that's tape to the left not toilet paper.

philippeduvin
03-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm in BIG BIG trouble about postals. Im in France.
I received the AM email saying that we could send all the papers right now.
But I received it at 8.00 pm tonight !! Before that, everywhere, it says wait wait before sending something.
Tomorrow it's the week end, and my pack will be gone just on monday. And Rosie told me that you'll need all the papers in hand by the 17th which is really closed and pretty difficult to achieve.

The best i can do is sending it with the fastest way tomorrow and send them a scan of all the papers at the same time.
I dont want the summer term !! i want this one ! :sad:

kenshi
03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
4:45pm. Priority Mail. I'm in the pipe, 5 by 5...