PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to render a heightmap?

Ifx3d
06-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey I was thinking today about heighmaps for video games such as Battlefield: Vietnam or Battlefield 1942.

From what I understand heightmaps are 2D "images" that are black and white and they are use to create.....height for a level.

My question is, is there any way to render heightmaps from 3DS Max, Maya 6, or Cinema 4D 8.5.

What i want to do is import a plane into ZBrush 2 and use its advanced sculting tools to create a high poly and detailed heightmap to be rendered into the 2D form to be used in game.:) it sounds like a good plan but i am not sure if it is possible.

- thanks
- ryan

test - this was rendered in 3ds max 6 as a test, the heights and stuff were brushed on with zbrush

http://idevisedesign.com/models/test_.jpg

Ifx3d
06-04-2004, 07:58 PM
hm, if there isnt a way to render a heightmap, what about brushing on the details with zbrush onto a normal map or something, than export the normal map and use it as a heightmap

think that would work?

mushroomgod
06-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Im crap....did not read the thread :(

do what XanderFX says :)

XanderFX
06-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Look up Displacement Map in Maya. Zbrush calls it the same, just look up the displacement mapping tut in ZB2. In maya you can also convert the Displacement map to polys for rendering in Mental Ray.

Ifx3d
06-04-2004, 08:57 PM
thanks dude, i will check this out

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.