PDA

View Full Version : Character:baron

combatmantra
06-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Hi there this is a personal version of the baron harkonnen, we take a different approach to the baron of David lynch,s film cause we think that,s unbeatable.
This is a cooperative project.
Modeling and design : koroko
Shading and lighting : combat mantra

enjoy :)

here,s a link to full size
http://www.dantoine.org/~avatar/koroko/baron-hr.jpg

http://www.dantoine.org/~avatar/koroko/baron-mr.jpg

pococo
06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
exelente trabajo, al que kizas le falte algo mas de scatering en la piel, pero que yo no seria capaz mejorar, un 10 a ambos.

olijosman
06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
I have seen grow this image and this is the result : great 3d model and impressive textures. :thumbsup:

Man
06-03-2004, 09:53 PM
looks great, awesome render

yo should do something with his eyelids and eyebrows..move them a little

he looks really stiff right now

JasonOsipa
06-03-2004, 10:15 PM
software?

Shaka_x
06-03-2004, 10:18 PM
i love it:thumbsup: nothing bad to say,.........................maibe the simetry bothers a little:p ups,.....i guess thats something

THEUNFORGIVEN
06-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Awesome character (nice modeling, nice texturing).

The eyes are hypnotizing and the fat wrinkle from his nose to his chin gives great personality, the pimples/wraths are nice too.

Very nice work!
:thumbsup:

JOSICH
06-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Good team work :beer:

All impressive. :eek:

Ciao

Josich

saladbar
06-04-2004, 12:29 AM
well it looks nice, but thats about it. good model and texturing, but the pose is horrible, its default pose. plus the compostion is bad as well, hes in the exact middle, i think if you cut teh image in half you would get the exact same thing with half render time. also the light bloom coming off the top of the head doesnt match the armors back light, the armor is a more shiny surface. also the light is coming from directly behind, so y does one side of teh armor have allot of speck and none on the other. anyways i like the redner, fix up the pose, put soem expression in to this guy and it will rock. -M

KolbyJukes
06-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Looking good guys! nice work.

-Kol.

MADEC
06-04-2004, 01:22 AM
horrible skin XD
nice work

xcvbnm
06-04-2004, 02:07 AM
:thumbsup:
Thats one superugly skin...;)
It lacks shadows inside the eyes.
Slightly discolored skin would be perfect.
He'd look more deadly in a darker env, I feel.
The suit is :cool:

koroko
06-04-2004, 11:48 AM
hey guys, thank you very much for your coments :)

olijosman and pococo : quite a compliment coming from you guys :D

man : i personally agree with you, partially, but here we just wanted him to look like staring...

shaka_x : thanks :D, yup maybe way too symmetric...

theunforgiven : thanks man, i actually enjoyed putting him that fat around his mouth, glad you like it ...

saladbar : hey man, did you have a bad day or something, horrible pose, okay that there´s not much of a pose there, but horrible? i dont consider the pose-composition horrible but hieratic, okay you could have said that is boring, but dont understand such strong words man...
and the exact middle is not bad perse i think, we just thought it could fit better the triangled suit forms... anyway is just a picture, there´s a model with light setup that exists virtually so it could be arranged in other situations...

dont agree about the lighning on the suit, look closer and youll see that the white on the back is not really centered , is more to the left, so is the light in the suit and in the head.... and how do you know that THE light is coming from JUST only behind... take it easy man... :)

hey Kwak, glad you liked man :)

psan and madec thanks...

ciao.

frameless
06-04-2004, 01:57 PM
hoho great model and great textures :thumbsup:
Could you show us the texture maps and may be give us some hints on how you did it?
3 stars for you both ;)

JasonOsipa
06-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Great work guys.

I think the composition is STRONG. You see shots like this in movies all the time; the character takes the screen, front-and-center, gaze, practically dead, and therefore dominates not only the current, but the intercut frames, which will usually not be as centered showing an instant strength play. Symmetry is not in-and-of-itself bad composition, it just doesn't conform to the "composition for dummies"tm pocketbook :).

The skin and style and lighting are all fantastic, too, complaints against that come from preference, and not fact. Anyone using the word "horrible" to describe ANYTHING in this work is crazy, even if they think improvements are needed, nothing here qualifies as horrible (Take a look around the rest of the board, dudes). Good work, good style, and that it's a "group" or "team" thing makes it all that much better.

Kudos!!! -J.

koroko
06-04-2004, 08:21 PM
hey Jason, thankyou very much for taking the time to write that well thought comments :D i agree absolutly with you there... but you may explain me why is much better being a "team", half effort, half the price...if you ask me...(interesting maybe most of the work was done thru internet...since its been quite close collab)

thanks again...

and by the way, modelling was done in max6 and shading-lightning-rendering in lightwave 7.5, strange combo someone could say, but that are the tools we´re most comfortable respectively...

genix, thankyou man :D, i´ll ask combat mantra for that, i´m sure he´d like to...

ciao.

SpiritWalker
06-04-2004, 08:59 PM
great model!! incredible texturing work

good work

i have a small question that is not really related to the thread (sorry): do u know where i can find some references of the human face? i already looked in the modeling section but didnt find anything in particular that i wanted to model.

Quendi
06-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Fantastic work! I'm a big fan of Dune and I love what you guys have made here :thumbsup:

lestdog
06-04-2004, 09:52 PM
love it, amazing, he does look a little constipated like hes taking a dump or something... but everything is just awesome, I actually like this better than David Lynch's, but I think he ruined the whole damn story anyway.

JasonOsipa
06-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by koroko
hey Jason, thankyou very much for taking the time to write that well thought comments :D i agree absolutly with you there... but you may explain me why is much better being a "team", half effort, half the price...if you ask me...(interesting maybe most of the work was done thru internet...since its been quite close collab)

thanks again...

and by the way, modelling was done in max6 and shading-lightning-rendering in lightwave 7.5, strange combo someone could say, but that are the tools we´re most comfortable respectively...

genix, thankyou man :D, i´ll ask combat mantra for that, i´m sure he´d like to...

ciao.

Collaborations are harder than individual feats in that A ) unless paid they don't usually get done and B ) there may or may not be evidence of strong communication in the final output's solidarity. This piece is not in any way schitzophrenic, so there was obviously good open collaboration where everyone agreed on a style/shape/division of who's work starts/ends where.

This *feels* like individual work, so, going to the (admittedly simplistic, but valid nonetheless) criteria above, it just proves you guys are pros, and if not, should be. :)

speedhorse
06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Cool~~~~go on!!!

combatmantra
06-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi to all and thanks for the comments :)

Spiritwalker: glad you like it, and for the reference images there is one place i think is the best www.3d.sk lot of great models there but it,s a paysite, another one is http://coldfusion.art.msstate.edu/camenisch/thehumanhead/ , an excellent page about modeling and in one section there are a few heads.

Quendi, lestdog, speedhorse: thanks a lot men

Jason Osipa: what can i say man, THANKS , your words and thoughts are trully encouraging, we are not pro yet but we are
trying to be and opinions like yours gave us a lot of strengh to go on :bowdown:

Jesse-Irvin
06-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I loved watching this character on the WiP forums but never had anything to crit on it there so I never posted. It looks awesome! Congrats

percydaman
06-06-2004, 02:27 PM
totally my windows desktop background. its very nicely done. I guess my only crit is that the armor looks too clean. but hey its getting nitpicky... :bowdown:

percy

ZONKS
06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
I love the final image. The composition matches the subject, which is something you can't say for many 3D renders--composition is either too ambitious, while not knowing what its purpose is, or just non-existent.

My only complaint is that the final image doesn't reveal all of the technical skill in the modeling and texturing. It also has a flattening effect on the wonderfully sculpted face that--despite its perfect symmetry--has a much stronger effect from an angle that shows more depth.

This complaint isn't really serious though; i.e. I wouldn't advocate changing the angle to show more depth.

The best thing I can say about this image is that it's inspiring, and I think that's what everyone responds to most strongly on these boards.

koroko
06-06-2004, 09:09 PM
hey guys,

3d43jesse, thank you man :D

percydaman : cool, but you sure about that, think ppl could get scared...it fits nicely on 1280x1024, right? ;)

CAAB: you just touched me, since i have a tradicional background, and i´m all about sculpting...the inspiring thing is waaay cool, thats one of the things i come here... :D

here´s a profil view, i think its kinda cool ....

http://www.dantoine.org/~avatar/koroko/baronprofil.jpg

ciao

zedsdead
06-07-2004, 12:13 AM
love the materials on the suit, rubber/ plastic looking.....very awesome.....

z+

vlad74
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Simply front page stuff. This guy has tons of character. 5 stars.

combatmantra
06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
zedsdead and vlad74: thanks a lot, glad you like it;)

lestdog
06-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh man, the profile is so awesome! I left a comment Already but now that I see the profile too, my hats off to you.. You know what you're doing.. hey if you had time would you crit my model?
I would love to see if you could help me..

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146499

Incitatus
06-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by JasonOsipa
Great work guys.

I think the composition is STRONG. You see shots like this in movies all the time; the character takes the screen, front-and-center, gaze, practically dead, and therefore dominates not only the current, but the intercut frames, which will usually not be as centered showing an instant strength play. Symmetry is not in-and-of-itself bad composition, it just doesn't conform to the "composition for dummies"tm pocketbook :).

The skin and style and lighting are all fantastic, too, complaints against that come from preference, and not fact. Anyone using the word "horrible" to describe ANYTHING in this work is crazy, even if they think improvements are needed, nothing here qualifies as horrible (Take a look around the rest of the board, dudes). Good work, good style, and that it's a "group" or "team" thing makes it all that much better.

Kudos!!! -J.

I agree 100%

Though I would like to make one suggestion, have you tried making the eyes a bit more drooping? I think that would add some character, maybe even make him look a bit more menacing, but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

miqtidar
06-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Nice work man
Looking very good

xjgd4321
06-08-2004, 08:44 AM
The person shape is very good
Very like sticking of this individual the diagram
But face that felling this individual is too symmetried

:love: :love: :love:

koroko
06-08-2004, 06:29 PM
hi,

lestdog, i´ve posted there, and tryied to give you my opinion :)

incitatus, yup, the stiffness on the eyes could use some work, agreed there

xkgd4321, thank you very much, its been hard to understand what you were saying, but i think i got it :)

ciao.

e338
06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
it has been said before, ... the symetrical face...
A slight blendShape (or whatever you call it) would make it more "believable". Even a tinyTinyTinyLittleOne...

Great character and not an easy subject as well ;)
Profile is EXCELLENT, would enjoy another rendering..

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.