PDA

View Full Version : First "Machimina" Feature Film Released

RobertoOrtiz
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Quote from Slashdot:
"Hugh "Nomad" Hancock writes "Machinima.com have just released the DVD version of Killer Robot, award-winning filmmaker Peter Rasmussen's buddy movie about two mining robots who set out to protect their "meat-sack" masters from a master mining robot gone insane. The twist here is not only that it's Machinima, made in 3D Game Studio, but that even the actor's voices are computer-generated using programs like Festival, making this possibly the world's first all-artificial movie." "

>>link<< (http://www.machinima.com/displayarticle2.php?article=413)

-R

KolbyJukes
06-03-2004, 07:51 PM
That's some of the worst looking CG I've seen in years.

sorry to say, but it's true. When was it made?

-Kol

SheepFactory
06-03-2004, 07:56 PM
I attended a machinima conference here in sf , where the guys who started this whole thing had high claims such as "machinima will take over prerendered movies in a short while" "the future of moviemaking is machinima" etc.

and as an example they showed some lame lumberjack movie done with using doom 1 engine (looked glorious on big screen)

I dont see it going further than fan film capacity to be honest.

Dennik
06-04-2004, 04:17 PM
If anyone is investing money in this load of crap, they should at least hire some artists for the job. Looks to me like an animation done 15 years ago.

BNicolucci
06-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Have you seen the quality coming out of the Source engine (Half Life 2) r the Unreal 3.0 engine? In the hands of talented folk it should be able to produce some impressive work, though I think anyone who says it will replace prerendered is not working with a full deck.

Remember, this stuff is still in it's infancy and will only improve from here. For the most part it's not the technologys fault that most machinima is crappy, blame the people who are creating the films.

Ariel
06-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Remember, this stuff is still in it's infancy and will only improve from here. For the most part it's not the technologys fault that most machinima is crappy, blame the people who are creating the films.

You are absolutely right about this. This will soon become a huge field and as game engines get better (and they will) more and more film level artists will join the trend which will raise the quality of real-time storytelling to a different level.

I think the real trick here is that the cost of this media will be considerably less than producing a standard feature film.. so the moment ONE film makes it to the theaters (or the internet, or DVD..etc) and becomes a big hit, everyone else will follow and we'll see a new trend in filmmaking.

MDuffy
06-07-2004, 07:08 PM
I guess my question is, what is the advantage of doing something in machinima as opposed to rendering it out? With rendering you have fewer restrictions, potentially higher quality images, and fewer technical difficulties in displaying the finished work to an audience. The same set of skills that would be required to produce machinima are needed for equivalent quality pre-rendered work. The only advantage machinima might have is the ability to adjust the camera during presentation, but choosing the right camera angles is one of the important aspects of cinematography, and not something you'd want to require the audience to set.

Sure you can do it, but why?

Cheers,
Michael Duffy

policarpo
06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
people will continue to make these movies because it's fun to do.

consider it niche movie making...like Pixel cams, stop motion, pen & ink...it's just another medium to tell a story in.

and in the end, it's all about the story, not about how it was made.

:beer:

Duffer
06-07-2004, 08:19 PM
and in the end, it's all about the story, not about how it was made.

i dunno about that bud... have you seen Shrek 2?

coboman
06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Duffer
i dunno about that bud... have you seen Shrek 2?

have you seen South Park (the movie)?
It made more than 50 million at the box office, and was nominated for an Oscar.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.