PDA

View Full Version : Worst Demo Ever

Rook
01-31-2002, 02:14 AM
What is the worst demo tape you have ever seen? The scariest I ever saw, (and I really haven't seen a whole lot) is a ball bouncing through a flaming hoop looped over and over. If I'm correct I believe that is a Maya tutorial...

personalpez
01-31-2002, 03:16 AM
Yup, that's a Maya tut, the first one in the book too. Hehe....that's too funny.

Jon

sigma
01-31-2002, 03:36 AM
lmao, i cant believe someone put that on their reel. Ive done that tutorial. Are you saying the entire reel was just that piece over and over again?

:D

benthroop
01-31-2002, 04:14 AM
Our art director said that he once got a demo reel from a guy who said he had worked on game X some years back... little did he know that our art director was also on title X... needless to say the guy was busted.

This thread reminds me of Galerie Abominate... anyone ever see that? Man that was some priceless stuff on there. I'd post a link but I think the site is gone.

bit

Omita
01-31-2002, 05:10 AM
Yeah... I worked on game X too.

:)

David Lightbown
01-31-2002, 05:44 AM
Galerie Abominante was AMAZING... is it still around ?

Another favorite of mine was a joke Bryce page I saw, where all the images were titled "Chrome Ball over water" and "Mountain in water" and stuff like that... awsome :)

We've gotten some... interesting reels :) It's all a blur right now, but I think the worst we'd ever gotten was someone who photoshopped their head onto someone else's body... and badly at that... no color blending or shade matching... thinking that we would consider that like a good example of their skills :P

I don't even have a reel... goes to show that you can still get a job if you didn't go to school for 3D and make a reel.

pinion3d
01-31-2002, 09:40 AM
"Galerie Abominante was AMAZING... is it still around ? "

Yea, it's still around. I look there when I'm feeling bad about what I'm doing, it always seems to make me feel a little better!

http://www.jackals-forge.com/abom.html

It's amazing what some people put on their reels!

suck
01-31-2002, 10:39 AM
THANK YOU for that link. its even funnier the 10th time.

The site used to be super slow, but now its speedy... I can pummel my eyes with Abominate goodness at the speed of broadband!

bit

Jean Eric
01-31-2002, 02:50 PM
The very worst demo reel I saw so far had the mention "Best Demo Reel In the World" written all over the tape.

I open the box, put the tape inside the VCR, press play, hoping to be dazzled with this "Best Demo Reel In the World" with great anticipation.

The video begins with some live footage of a guy on a motorcycle. So far, no CG. The only thing I see is that same guy on a motorcycle (a live shot). The only visible "VFX" or "CG" to talk of is the whole video is the black screen with a circular whole through which we can see that "Live Shot of a Guy on a Motorcycle. Oh, and that circle has a feathered edge on it.

Hum, seems this guy has really mastered the "Feather" tool in Photoshop. And no, that "Guy on a Motorcycle" was not CG.

And that was the only CG on that whole tape...

I've also once met a guy with nothing but a cube spinning on his tape. He was trying to express how the 3D cube represented freedom in an opressed world or some other BS like it...

Yeah right...

I know many VFX Houses do Demo Reel Nights on a regular basis where they play and laugh at the worst demo reels they receive. If you don't want to be part of these parties, don't send anything without thinking twice about it?

Blue
01-31-2002, 10:06 PM
the worst mistake...

During my 2 years as a 3DS Max teacher, I taught many students many things and created many unique projects to challenge some of the advanced students. Well it just so happens that years later while I was the 3d lead, at an online "event recreation company", one of my former students was applying for a job and I had to review his reel and low and behold, that project was on there, not his version of it, mine...

Needless to say he didn't get the job.

The Magic Pen
02-02-2002, 05:51 AM
One time we got a demo cd from a guy looking for a 2D/texture position . We open up the 2d folder in ac/dc and he had scanned in photo's from play boy with captions like 100% photoshop .
Actually we have recieved quit a few portfolio's with stolen images.

Daniel
02-02-2002, 04:57 PM
Haha, thats a joke, or?

I read about that in a Book...never add some basic stuff, like cubes etc. You know what I mean...Or never show some thing again again and again :rolleyes:

I thought "Who would do that looping a scene?"

But after reading this thread I know they are anywhere... :D

Cya.

Jean Eric
02-02-2002, 05:10 PM
I remember hearing a story of a Teacher interviewing a new potential student for the school. That student brought a demo-tape with him, but the problem is that this tape was actually the one from that teacher doing the interview. The guy just replaced the name on the tape.

During the interview, the teacher didn't say a word, but at the end, he started asking details about how he did some shots. And of course, the guy started to explain how he did these shots in this demo-reel he never did.

After the interview, the teacher revealed to the student he was the original creator of that reel.

I imagine how ackward this must have been...

TurtleRacer
02-02-2002, 05:16 PM
In the 2 years i've been director i've seen some absolute shockers of people's work. My favourite was this one with a rabbit, poorly modelled from a box, animated along path in a wobbly circle. And of course.. there were no lights in the scene, just the 3DSMax default lights and it went for 3 minutes. I would have loved to known what they were thinking when they made that their demo reel.

Jean Eric
02-02-2002, 06:16 PM
I once saw a guy who simply rendered all the scenes that come with the LightWave CD and put them in his demo reel. He kept telling how much work this was for him... The rendering was especially long... :)

Artbot
02-03-2002, 04:33 AM
This is kind of a tough topic - what if the people who did these reels read this? It might reflect badly on our company, so all I can say about recent stuff is that the "running tiger anim" we received a couple years ago gives us all much "enjoyment". It's made of about 80 polys and you can pretty much imagine what it's like ;-)

About 8 years ago when I was at LEC, I was on a recruiting trip to a school where graduating students came in and we'd review their reels with them. The best one we saw also happened to be one of the most disturbing animations I've ever seen. It involved an artists' mannequin character who discovers his girlfriend in bed with another guy and proceeds to slaughter them both. The shots were so well composed, animated and edited that the horror of it all was nearly unbearable - it wasn't just cheesy video-game violence. Over it all was some super-grungy grinding speed metal music that about tripled the intensity of it all. He was obviously a talented student, but the capper was when he told us that this was his actual fantasy and his goal was to get it on MTV where his ex-girlfriend would see it. Yikes!

R@G

rendermonkey23
02-03-2002, 09:19 AM
:eek: :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.