PDA

View Full Version : Char Animation: Ninja Turtle and mousers

kvernon
06-03-2004, 12:25 AM
This animation is based off of the ninja turtles cartoon from the 1990's for the design and look of characters. Most of the emphasis is on animation.

For modeling, I used Lightwave 3D and Leonardo and the mousers are built low poly, like gaming.

All of the animation was done using messiah:Studio.

I'd like to do more with this, but this is the completed scene.
http://www.bubba-x.com/dl/Leomouser2.jpg

The movie is about 2mb, quicktime sorenson III
http://www.bubba-x.com/dl/tmnt1.mov

Comments are always welcome! :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
Kelly

LANCELOT
06-03-2004, 04:37 AM
The think that i notice the most in your animation is the lack of weight. Characters look like they weight nothing. I would say it is the first thing you gotta get.

Nice start.

JesseDavis
06-03-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm glad you like to focus on just the animation aspect. Makes me happy. :) Nonetheless, I remember the cartoon from back in the day, and you did a pretty good job. Three things I'd like to suggest:

1) Leonardo doesn't have any personality in your clip that defines him as a ninja turtle. You could put the next karate kid in there and it would work. Also, the part where he starts kicking seems a bit jerky and in my opinion doesn't flow together as well if you know what I mean.

2) The mouser animation is good, I'd like to see a swarm of them come out =)

3) the block next to the block that falls on the mouser... why doesn't it fall?

The last two are just meh comments, but yea its aight.

gf666
06-03-2004, 07:48 AM
yeah mooooore of those mousers! i like the fps-style, and animation really good! like to see it in a whole scene: lighting textures etc etc! keep it up!

kvernon
06-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Good morning everyone!

Well, after a nights sleep, wouldn't say rested, I'm ready to take on the day! Or ehhhh something like that! :surprised

LANCELOT, I see where more weight could be added with the robot mousers. It was trying to find that happy medium w/ robotic and natural that was the kicker.

m0og0o, you noticed that too about Leonardo? I mean why didn't they give him anymore personality? Yeah, he was always the straight lipped one or cliche student, so I actually think if I put the karate kid in there he would have different personality.

I do agree about the swarm, I thought that would be awesome too!

For the other brick, I guess it just didn't feel like it! :) LOL, I know that's not the answer you were hunting for, but it's all I got. I mean, there are many situations in life where it looks like something should happen, but it doesn't.

gf666, Thanks for staring, and mucho glad you liked it. I honestly don't know if I'm going to be having a textured scene, but who knows, maybe some point down the way, play with the lighting more.

Again, thanks everyone for looking! :bounce:

Sincerely,

Kelly

mikecarry
06-03-2004, 07:46 PM
maybe it's just me, but the motion seems a lot smoother than normal. Was this rendered in fields?

kvernon
06-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Mike, this wasn't rendered in fields. Why do you ask?

mikecarry
06-06-2004, 01:54 AM
It just looks a lot smoother than 30 frame per second. Or maybe my quicktime player is doing something funky.

kvernon
06-06-2004, 11:13 PM
that's odd how your player is doing that. I rendered it out at 30 fps.

Jesse-Irvin
06-07-2004, 12:01 AM
as useless as it may be I'm just going to second the comments many others have already stated and add the the mousers need to shift their weight or they would fall... they could not physically walk the way you animated it. Try shifting the torso back and forth over the grounded leg during the walk. That should help balance it out... also perhaps look at some dinosaur walks from somewhere. or even jurrasic park, specifially the raptors.

AdamantiumKnot
06-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Sweet! I've actually been looking for mouser reference photos for the past two weeks but haven't come by much. Did you use anything in specific? I was planning on doing one as my next personal project because it reflects part of my childhood hehe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.