PDA

View Full Version : Animation: "Woops"

May-lea
06-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi everybody! Here's the work I submitted for one of my modules. I just finished a BA computer games design in Teeside. The goal of the module was to create an (at least) 30sec long animation, so the point was not really on modelling. I re-used the characters from my final year project A centaur's tale. I'd like some comments and critics as well.

Enjoy!
http://elftown.lysator.liu.se/stuff/Woops.mov
Oh. I apologize truely, but it's 18.5Mb. If anybody could tell me how to get a good compression, that'd be nice, too...
Anyway...

emanimation
06-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Incredible work!

Eman

mikecarry
06-03-2004, 02:24 AM
WowZERS!! I don't view reels very often because my computer is very weak, but i was shocked when this video finally loaded up. Great soundtrack, excellent modeling, and outstanding use of camera cuts. I don't like the horse texture but it's good enough.

Congrats and good luck on your job search.

May-lea
06-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Wow, thanks ^_^ I didn't expect such feedback! ^_^

THEUNFORGIVEN
06-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Try divx or something www.divx.com for compression.

Needs some work on the walkcycle
Also everything seems to be happening in slow motion, speed it up.

LordShaitan
06-04-2004, 05:19 AM
I agree, i lost interest after 10-15 seconds because of the slow movments. The characters are very stiff and have no character to them.

Great attempt, but my suggestion is to keep the animation short and simple to gain skill in chaarcter animation.

Keep it up.

May-lea
06-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Ahh!! Critics, Thanks! ^_^
For the divx compression, I tried and everything seemed much much darker. And I know it's not just on my PC. All the lighting of the scene is lost when I use that codec, it's awful. That's why I didn't use it...

So as the stiff movements, I'll keep that in mind. I know the quality of it is not a s good as I would have wanted it to be but I rushed to meet the deadline.

Slow motion? Maybe... I guess for some parts it's normal. When you're trying to sit on a horse from a lying position, you have to take some time so you don't fall. The speed is kind of meant to fit with the style. Not too cartoony but not too realistic either... Anyway, thanks for those comments really !! ^_^

LordShaitan
06-04-2004, 08:07 AM
BTW keep with the quicktime for compression, just use a sorenson 3 codec. Quicktime is the best for playback, divx is only great for storing a file (ie bad playback but great quality)

Plus with quicktime you also target the Mac loven folks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.