PDA

View Full Version : Human Muscular System

Anubis
06-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I recently finished up a project where I had to model and rig the entire human muscular system.

The clients were a tad fickle, and wanted me to do a few things like remove fascia that made it hard to differentiate muscles from far away, and round the muscles more towards the skin so that they could be seen from far away. Some of the flexing is also exagerrated to be more easily viewed from a distance, also some places that were once fascia, are now just red muscle (look at the knees). However, now that I am done; I own the rights to this model and want to work on it and get it looking the best possible.

The parts I know off the bat I need to res up or sculpt better are:
1) the deltoids, I need to differentiate the front, lateral, and rear groups.
2) the legs, they are a little small (quads etc)
3) I was specifically told not to model the head/hand/feet musculature, and the skull was left out altogether because it just looked scary. Would it benefit me to model and rig these?

The skeleton was modeled using a viewpoint data set they purchased (from scan data) as reference, so it is one of the few things I don't feel I need crit on. The musculature has the correct insertions/flexing and tracks to these insertions throughout movement and even hyperextension. The entire model is done in subd surfs.

http://chrisevans3d.com/temp/forums/spiraloid/anatomy01.jpg
http://chrisevans3d.com/images/portfolio/leg_def.gif

Here (http://chrisevans3d.com/video/anatomy01.avi) is a link to a video (2.2MB DivX) of the arms/shoulder/back muscles in motion.

I can post a lot more stuff if you would like, but for now I would like crit on the model more as far as the musculature porportions, etc..

Rio Yeti
06-02-2004, 09:06 PM
The rigging from the video seems pretty impressive, do you have any other videos or longer ones ?

As for the crits, you're right about the deltoids and legs. I think the legs are also a little too thin in comparison with the upper body.
Also the knee could be more exagerated, it's kind of flat (although it depends from a person to the other, for an anatomical model I think it would benefit if you exagerated it a little).
The elbow junction seems a little high. I know it always seems higher when you only see the muscles, but in this case I think it is too high.

As for modeling the skull, you would probably benefit from it. As you will be able to tell the actual size of the character... Body parts often seem out of proportion unless they are shown with the whole body as a comparison point.
You can maybe pass on their rigging though, as the other rigs you do are more complex and both are more interesting and show your capabilities better.

I know what it is to look at muscles day after day on a 3D software... Drives you crazy, doesn't it ? :scream:

unicron
06-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey Anubis looking good so far!

I think the arms are looking a bit weird because they are so thin... sort of the same problem as with the legs. It just seems like there isn't enough meat on his limbs...:shrug:

I would define some more musculature in the wrist and lower arm (there are some cool, and very important muscles down there). That should help to "beef" him up a bit.

Also, I'm not sure on this one, but I think all of his abs should be about the same size (except for the longer ones at the bottom)

I would put the skull on there too (it won't be too freaky as long as you don't put eyes in the sockets :eek:)heh heh... you might also want to put in some more neck muscles in there (at least the sterno-mastoids)

Rock on Anubis:buttrock:

emanimation
06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Way cool animations

Eman

UnlikelyCorny
06-03-2004, 02:20 PM
very hard to crit the muscle body, since there are loads of muscles (feet, hands, head)missing.

And although it's very impressive of course, for me it is not what is very important about this model. Your animation shows, if you ask me, what it is about. That is where accuracy will be noticed and as far as I can see that all moves very convicingly.

Please keep us updated and I would appreciate if you could elaborate on the methods used.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.