PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Quick Maze Creation Tips

spawn73
06-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I have been working on different ways to model a maze in LW 7.5C. I am just looking to see if anyone has tips on how to do them quicker than what I have done.

One method I used was to:

1. Make plane with multiple segments
2. Bandsaw where needed
3. Choose polys and smooth shift numericly
4. Mirror and rotate to create larger maze

It worked fine except that I know every client will want changes. So the alternative is that I made three different walls in modeler and placed them with clones to fill out the maze. Then if the client wants say a different beveled edge, all I have to do is go to the original model file and make changes......back to layout and replace objects if the hub didn't already update for me. The only problem I run into is keeping the maze wall spacing even throughout in layout. Modeler has Grid Snap.....in Layout I either haven't found it yet or haven't looked in the right spot...but I don't see how to have Grid Snap in Layout. This second technique is more time consuming on the front end, but easier to make changes on the back end. However if they want the wall thickness to change, it throws off the spacing and creates overlap in Layout.

I also created a high mesh grid and used an image to deform it. However, I need animatable walls.

Do any of you have alternative methods?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

SimianLogic
06-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I would make about 8 tiles that could interlock. Say have tiles with:
-2 exits on each side
-1 exit on each side
-2 exits on 2 sides and 1 exit on 2 sides
(this one you would need in 2 diffferent patterns, with the 1's and 2's across from each other for one and with the 1's and 2's next to each other for the other)

so that's 4 tile types

now make two unique maze-grids for each one of those types (or just the one if you wanna stay simple) and then figure out how big the maze needs to be. you could make it as big as you want (4x4 or 8x8 or whatever) and just duplicate the tiles as you need them for some pretty crazy complexity

then it's just a matter of playing with puzzle pieces, and you could end up with a million different combinations. with those eight unique tiles, it should be just a matter of working it out so that they all line up. you might also want to make a unique start tile and a unique end tile.

hmm, other than that, just keep a record of how you build your maze so if you have to make changes it will be easy to reproduce. give each tile a letter or a number and then just use a piece of graph paper or excel to write out where they are in the grid.

carbon8
06-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I would start in Illustrator or Freehand and draw out the maze itself. Then import into LW, extrude and add floor/plane.

halibut
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I had to create several Swift 3d mazes a while back...I searched online...there are some free maze creation engines where you type in your specs and they generate a gif. Auto-convert (trace) that in something like Illustrator and output an ai file and all you'd have to do is extrude it. I would imagine it would be just as easy for LW, if not easier.

spawn73
06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Cool, thanks for all the tips.

-halibut : Do you happen to have links to those generators handy?

Thanks again.

-Cav.

spawn73
06-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Ok, I did a search and found some generators for reference.

Thanks again.

-Cav.

little5points
06-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by halibut
I had to create several Swift 3d mazes a while back...I searched online...there are some free maze creation engines where you type in your specs and they generate a gif. Auto-convert (trace) that in something like Illustrator and output an ai file and all you'd have to do is extrude it. I would imagine it would be just as easy for LW, if not easier.

Also, if you have Painter, it has a function to create mazes, also.

CourtJester
06-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Modeler used to be able to create mazes all by itself in its Amiga incarnations pre 4.0.

Create a large subdivided polygon, and then Merge Polygons. PC Modeler creates one big polygon and leaves a bunch of unconnected points; on the Amiga, it didn't know to do that "cleanup" so all the points in the interior were still connected to the edge. Since all the points were connected to one edge AND none of the "walls" bisected the polygon (you'd have two polys if it did), the resulting pattern had one unique path from any one place to any other, and any point could reach any other --- the precise definition of a maze.

rickycox
06-03-2004, 03:48 AM
I'd create a 50m flat plane with say 100 segments , then just select individual polys to make you maze pattern and smooth shift.

rickycox
06-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Here's a quick test. I didn't put much thought into the pattern.

spawn73
06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Yes, that was the first attempt at the maze that I did. Which it was the faster way. Then I added seperate walls that needed to be animated. So far so good.

Thanks go out to everyone who responded. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.