PDA

View Full Version : please, crit me, crit me

lestdog
06-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Would you guys give me an honest crit on just the model? not the texturing and the sloppy photoshop fill ins. Just the model. How is she looking? She's just an average girl in a kids story that I'm making, but I have been looking at her too long and somethings bothering me and I dont know what. Thanks cgtalkers!

http://juliascreations.com/images/girl.jpg

Sister Ky
06-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure what's bothering you. I quite like her. Perhaps it's the very broad, round face? It's realy broad, even for a kid. Perhaps the nose's too flat?
She looks a bit helpless and pityful with her brows like that...

Greetz, Ky.

DaddyMack
06-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey lestdog she's cute man
Me, I think her eyes are too big (which is perfect) instant empathy
I dig her overall structure, I think she'd like her lips lowered a teeny bit from her nose and maybe a bit more chin.

It's really cute how her face is so subtly exaggerated and I think it's a consistent concept everywhere bar her chin.

What's the kids story about?

Ruadhraigh
06-02-2004, 02:16 PM
She looks fine to me except that the eyebrows are way too big and too straight.

spooky3d
06-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Bend those eyebrows alittleand you''ll be good.Nice looking model.

lestdog
06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey thanks everyone! I was a bit nervous putting her up so soon. I think you got it Sister Ky on the nose. Need to push that up a bit.

sumdumguy: thanks, Ill expierment with the chin and lips. thanks for your post. The story is about a girl who saves a dying beetle bug thats about to get stepped on and finished off for good. There is much more but I wont give it all way.

Ruadhraigh and spooky3d, you are right on those eyebrows, what was I thinking? Who knows ? thanks again for your honest crits. Thank God for Cg talk huh??

danielkenobi
06-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I think her face is too flat on the front over the eyesThey dont look like balls that is because therer are too big I presume.
I dont know if it is the perspective who make me say that. Post a side view.
I realy like it.

lestdog
06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
thanks danielkenobi, yeah its that 3quarter view that driving me nuts.. I like here in the front view but the side view?, well I dont know, what do you think maybe her face is too flat? Also, do you think the Ear is too big? or weird in someway? Thanks again!

http://juliascreations.com/images/side.jpg

combatmantra
06-07-2004, 09:35 PM
hello lestdog first thing to say is that i like a lot this model, you have catched the emotion really well and in my opinion that,s the most important thing, sure my mate koroko will try to help you.

PentamiterBeast
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Yeah, the eyebrow does look at bit manly on such a cute lil girl :)
I think the ear looks fine, as it's a relatively cartoony model, but maybe trying it smaller could be good too. I think the profile looks great. Would be good to see WF.

shamarfolus
06-08-2004, 04:35 AM
To me it looks like her hair is invading her face. Maybe bring the hair back a little in the temple region.

koroko
06-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi there lestdog,

You´re doing an awesome job already, and guest what, i also did a similar character quite long ago...a kinda dollish lil´girl :)

here´s an image, and i´ll tell ya what i would improve...

http://www.dantoine.org/~avatar/koroko/doll.jpg

1/ cheeks ; need to be more rounded, en lifted up, that will make here, happier, younger, and nicer...

also, the fatness of the cheeks should pregresivelly disapear at the corners mouth, in your profil view y see, there´s this fatness going under the mouth, that´s just for oldies...get images of(if you havent yet), of lil´dolls face, and you´ll see what i mean...

2/lower mandible ; rounder and softer, again these are the rules for cuteness, she doesnt have a lizard mouth right, she has an small cute mouth, so is the mandible, in your model the mandible bone defines de form, that should be rounded by fat.....

3/wings nose ; looking from the side view, and this is very very important, take these wings nose and move them (from side), inside the head little more, look at any profil, nor any in the world have the wings nose end at the same vertical line that the starting of the upper lip...

this image probly shows it better :)
http://www.dantoine.org/~avatar/koroko/profilnose.jpg

4/ down part of the nose, modulate her forms in a way that the middle of nose and the wings doesnt fit on the same plane on the y axes, normally the wings are little up...

Ear is just great, maybe make it softer, or simplier, but thats just preference...

Hope any of these, serves to you in some extent, its just my opinion, but its supossed that i´ve studied all this stuff :)

great work, keep on

ciao.

valentine
06-09-2004, 08:13 AM
hey lestdog !

u really hit those hard to achieve disney-comic-proportions !! very, very nice work - she has so much character :)

keep it up :)

best regards
jannis

p.s. i had to laugh/click on your thread when i read the subject :D very funny ;)

lestdog
06-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Hey Thanks everyone, just the suggestions that I needed! I haven't had time to work on her, my real work keeps getting in the way!

koroko, thanks for the awesome crit! You guys are really doing some sweet work over there, the baron is one my favorite characters I've seen on CGTalk! I'm having a hard time with understanding the wing nose part. Is it the nostril? I think how its making a wing shape maybe?

Okay cool, thanks everyone, I hope to have some improvements posted soon..

koroko
06-11-2004, 04:06 PM
hey lestdog,

yes nose wings = nostrils, sorry about that, english not my languaje...

cheers! :)

animalunae
06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Don't change the concept, it's great, got style. finish the image with the style you got now. Realy cute. Good Job

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.