PDA

View Full Version : CHARACTER - Ray Gunn

AndyH
06-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi.
Heres a character ive been working on for some time in the WIP forum (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139394&perpage=15&pagenumber=1).
The Design and initial concept drawing was by my good mate Richard Jordan (http://www.richard-jordan.com/) - hes the best 2d artist I know!

Made in Lightwave

Hope you like it!

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/Images/Gallery-Personal/Ray-Gunn-design.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/Images/Gallery-Personal/Ray-Gunn01.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/Images/Gallery-Personal/Ray-Gunn02.jpg

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/Images/Gallery-Personal/Ray-Gunn03.jpg

pluMmet
06-01-2004, 03:05 AM
That’s hilarious. Great work.

ODoul
06-01-2004, 03:18 AM
I feel kind of funny mentioning it on a character that is this well done but there is a bit of stretching in the texture of the pants that is ever so slightly distracting for me. Other than that, bravo, this is fantastic.

Nightwing
06-01-2004, 04:56 AM
That's great work....the model is incredibly close to the original concept, bravo!!

When I look at him I think Mad magazine and a pilgrim.....don't know why :)

What plans for him? Animation? Render him in a complete scene?

agreenster
06-01-2004, 05:06 AM
This one is front page bound.

More proof that a good concept sketch is extremely important in creating a good character.

Besides the awesome modeling, I really like the shaders and lighting....very soft and mid-tonal. Great touches throughout.

I like the idea of an old-man hero.

Nice detail in the modeling of the face. I bet making blendshapes has been tedious....

Sqwall
06-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Interesting Concept, I like it, the ray gun i slike the hyper-utra megatronic space modulator from bugs bunny movies. :D

captain_stinky
06-01-2004, 10:49 AM
This is great! I was following this in the wip thread, I always knew it was going to be good... but this is excellent!

Love the character, the model, the rendering and the texturing but most of all I love the style :)

I guess I'll see it soon on the front page

achtung007
06-01-2004, 10:56 AM
COOOOL:applause:

Harfang
06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
great modeling work, nice creases on clothes. texturing is very nice too (hair looks good). do u plan to give him some cool actions poses ? :)

crimson13
06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
wow :beer:
very close to the (great by the way) concept; no crits from me

V1PER
06-01-2004, 12:44 PM
very nice... but i wanna see that gun in his hand :beer:

Garma
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
eheh :) cool. Now go rig it :wip: :wip:

agreenster
06-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I also just noticed that he's left-handed...:thumbsup:

Question about the eyebrows: Are they attached to his head-mesh, or are they seperate?

KnickKnack
06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Sorry to be critical but

Really like the modelling and the character design, but I don't think the texturing is as good.. It doesn't have the professional finish of the modelling.

Perhaps softening the bumps and adding some specular highlights would improve things??

AndyH
06-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks a lot for the intrest in this guy.

I only intended him to be a model, nothing more - my lack of animation experience, coupled with my inability to rig stuff in messiah means he will be no more than a still model. It was a good excercise in high-poly modeling and texturing I was after.

If i have time, I might push and pull points in modeler to pose him for an action render or something (with the gun in his hand!)

Ill try and answer some of the questions:

3d explorer - Yeah - because of the way its been built with the creases, as well as the subdivision, the warping was hard to fix.

Nightwing - He kinda reminds me of the mad magazine guy too. Theres no real story behind him, I just liked the sketch Rich did and decided to have a go at modeling him.

agreenster - Thanks for the praise :thumbsup: if you really feel I deserve front page, feel free to tell the administrator :D, though I dbout itll get there. Theres no blendshapes for him by the way... The eyebrows are a bit lame in my opinion - theyre just transparent alpha mapped polys laid over a texture on the head. Woulda worked better with sasquatch, but its been so long since I last used it.

Cheers for the comments, folks!

CarlDavis
06-01-2004, 04:20 PM
another quality peice mate, would really like to see him posed. I will have a chat to you about rigging him for u and perhaps even doing some animation for you if your interested.

keep it up mate,

Carl

ilovegraphics
06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Very cool character! Creepy, and makes you wonder what he's about :)

richdraws
06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi

I love the model man, really pleased with what you have done here. I would suggest only that the texture is not quite working as well as the model - mebbe the colours are to garish?

Apart fom that I want you to get busy rigging the bugger and then doing some animation for me to feast my eyes upon.

Please - PLEASE!!!

Rich

syous
06-10-2004, 03:40 PM
you got some skill in bringing 2D to 3D man.... sort your texture and you be on your way to rank of masters.. :bowdown: :bowdown:

An obvious issue with the 3d model would be the belt look like stone or concrete to me

xjgd4321
06-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Very the cartoon's role
The person design is well very exquisite
His face of felling should be red but not is greenThe color is very abundant:)

:thumbsup:

funkyboss
06-10-2004, 05:45 PM
All is said...
A good 2dModel and you ve done a amazing meshe!!!
This is very clean and perfectly textured!!! waaaaaw
Continue your quality and hope to see more soon;)

CU

onelung
06-10-2004, 06:48 PM
really nice work, lot of character in the face, very nice depiction of the great concept.... thought about posing him? that would be awesome, could definetly bee a new walpaper like that :thumbsup:

AndyH
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks for your intrest in the fella.

Because of my lack of rigging knolwedge in messiah, and the fact that I dont really want to spend much more time on it because of my new job (using max) , my mate Carl is gonna rig it up and do a short animation. Hes pretty damn good at what he does, so ill expect it to look shit hot!

Keep an eye out for it soon...
Im looking forward to it as much as you lot are!

foxco
06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
More proof that a good concept sketch is extremely important in creating a good character.

i couldnt agree more. the character is realy awsome too, its got some humor in it. cant wait to see it animated

/fox

CarlDavis
06-13-2004, 03:40 PM
I've rigged Ray and done a quick test to highlight problems, I have a few things i need to fix in the rig, but fire away with comments incase iI have missed anything.

The face only has a few basic bones in it Im still working on morph targets.

once I get these last few things fixed I will be ready to start the proper animation. Still not completly sure what im going to do yet tho....

oh just to say as well riggin this model has been a joy, and did a top notch job on it, hopefully the final animation will do it justice.

Carl

test animation, (http://www.carldavis.co.uk/animations/rayAnimTest_01.rar)

i had to rar it up, i can only output a few codecs from messiah so this is a video1 codec and that can be a bit big

Frenkie
06-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Wow!
really impressive.

AndyH
06-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Lookin good carl!
I aint been on msn much the weekend and i didnt get an email notification of your post for some reason so i came across this by accident.

Looks really good - not sure why, but the animation (as good as it is) doesnt 'look' like him - it seems a bit too bouncy or something... As you said though, its a test animation (great rig by the way) so ill have a think to see if i can give you any ideas as to what to do for the proper animation!

Glad your enjoying it! - there must be something wrong with you - rigging is a pain for me!

JOSICH
06-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Fidel reproduction, good work.

moonwalker
06-14-2004, 02:26 AM
man you did it exactly like the scitsh you did ..its awsom

BrettHolton
06-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Thats really good man, did u use sam neil or o'neil.. (the guy off "The Castle") As the face? if not uncanny resemblance

good job:buttrock:

AndyH
06-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Now that you mention it, it does look a little bit like sam neill!
I just based it on the sketch my mate did a while back - theres no back story or real idea behind him, its just a random illustration he did, and i thought he looked cool, so i modeled him!

dafonz
08-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Pretty good....it would look better if he was posed. Good job anyhow

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.