PDA

View Full Version : Not too many blender threads.. But still I have a question.

bigbad
06-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Alright. Newbee to blender, but got skills in maya and max.
So the question is;

How do i select faces, instead of verteces in blender?

Please help me.

fligh
06-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Hit F in object mode, takes you to Face mode. If it's full of dotted lines, hit A to deselect all then RMB or Shft-Rmb select the faces you want (though you cant see them). Or you can hit B+B to select with the circle-selection tool if you want all the faces in an area. In face mode you can only select faces you can see.

Then Tab into edit mode to see your selection. Do your thing, Tab back into Face mode and F again to object mode.

It's a bit ... agricultural, but decent face select is in the works.

Face-Loop select with K or Shift-K

Apollux
06-01-2004, 10:05 PM
As fligh said, the key is entering the FACE-SELECT MODE. You can enter in that mode by pressing F or by the modes pull-down list on the GUI.

Once you are in the "F-Mode" you can select faces just like you used to select vertex in Edit-mode. Almost all the selections tools from edit-mode are available on F-Mode (including the index material and vertex groups selections).

For your convenience, if you swicht to Edit-mode FROM F-mode, any selection done or un-done while in edit-mode are automatically translated to faces when you leave the edit-mode and go back to F-Mode.

bigbad
06-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the answer guys.
Helped a lot. Will try to model something. Just takes a little time to get used to the enviroment.

Still tryin to get used with the navigation. As I rotate with the mouse my view gets tilted.
Is there any way not to get my view tilted if you know what I mean.

The help is appriciated. Thanks.

Apollux
06-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... for more precise control while rotating the view with the mouse you could activate the "Turntable" style option in the "View & Control" Settings. By default it is set to "TrackBall" style.

Setting it to turntable style will make the rotation more mechanical, and thus easier to predict/control.

However, for really precise viewport rotation you better forget about the mouse and start using the numpad keys. 4, 8, 6 & 2 let you rotate over one single axis at a time.

bigbad
06-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks alot. Much much better. Starting to like blender. Not so complicated after all.

This help is better than any tutorial.

bigbad
06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Alright I´m back. So my question is;

How can I see my UVs and reder it to a file?

So I can do my texture in gimp.

Thanks.

Apollux
06-03-2004, 10:55 PM
They are countless UV-Mapping tutorials for Blender in the internet, so I won't go into any details here.

Basically you open a 3D window and a Image windows. As soon as you enter into Face-Mode in the 3D window the Image window show the UV mapping of the selected object. There (in the image window) is that you do all your UV stuff.

Once you are happy with the UV Layout, just click on File -> Export -> UV Face Layout. A dialog asking for image size and onther details will show up and in the end you will have a .TGA image that you can open in Gimp or whatever 2D program you have.

Please note that the most (almost all) of the Import / Export options are really add-on python plugins, and most of them need that you have a full Python 2.3.x installed on your computer. The Export UV Layout thing is one of those python plugins.

bigbad
06-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks a lot Apollux. Didnt know that stuff.

Sure, I will look into the python plugs.

Surely enough i had that export option.

Thanks a lot guru master Apollux.

bigbad
06-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi me again. :cry: I hope Im not bothering you.

Well the question is that.

Why doesnt radiosity work?

I´ve read that you only need to subdiv you objekts alot and the radiosity button on. But still no effect.

here is a example of what I mean.

Apollux
06-06-2004, 10:46 PM
First thing is that there are two types of radiosity on Blender. The "True" and the "Fast" one. As you can guess one gets a lot better results than the other, but also takes a lot more time to calculate.

Both methods take input from the "emit/add" sttetings on the Material panel.

For quick radiosity all you need to do is activating the "Radio" option on the rendering panel. But I' m assuming you are talking abut true radiosity.

The foremost thing that comes to my mind is that for true radiosity you need an enviroment around your subject. Simply having a floor plane an a light source just won' t make it. At least try placing it inside a box, or even better inside an half sphere.

Then select your subject and the enviroment, go to the radiosity panel and hit "Collect Meshes", twist the maaaaaany settings that appear if needed, and then click on "Go". Afther the computation is done click on "Add new meshes".

It will add a new mesh containing a copy all the scene. Now click on "Free Radio Data". You are done.

Now move the old meshes to an unused layer just in case you need to tweak something in the future.

You are ready to render. It is a good idea to hide/remove all light sources before you render to have a clear view of how the process whent. Then add back the light and tweak as needed.

The on-line manual has a much better explanation than mine, it is worth taking a look at it.

PD. As you see, the "real" method takes cares of the subdivion automatically. For the quick method YOU must do the subdivision.

fligh
06-07-2004, 04:16 AM
And as with most renderable functions in Blender they need to be set to ON in the materials (or shaders) AND the Render buttons.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.