PDA

View Full Version : Animation-Reel

BishopLynx
05-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Hello. I would like any opinions on this latest reel.

Some work I did here and there Freelance and contract...some of it is just tests and such.

Animation Reel (http://www.bishoplynx.com/images/MatthewTardiff.avi)

it is Divx...27Mbs or so.

Thanks ahead for any input.

Matthew

BishopLynx
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Ok. Is the download too slow? or what.

I would think someone would have something to say positive or negative.

PentamiterBeast
06-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Don't fret, seems impossible to get a reply around this place most of the time, especially if no one knows you. Seems to be my problem anyway. BTW you reel is frikkin great, the family guy sample may be legally dodgy, but who the hell cares, the context you use it in is spot on. I love the mouse and horse too.

Sister Ky
06-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Sorry... sometimes some posts just slipp through without being noticed because most people (like me, for example) are too lazy to use their logout-butten so some posts get marked as already read, even though they aren't read... And even though the download's realy fast, some people nevertheless won't wait 4 mins or use their valuable trafic for something they haven't even seen a picture of... especially if you're new and nobody's seen something cool from you before... *shrug*

Now about your reel. I like it quite a lot. I understand hardly a word, since I'm no native english-speaker, but whatever... ^_^
Perhaps the guy in the beginning should start to scream "it's alive" after he has taken a look at the sign...?
The rabit's mouthmotions are a bit exaggerated, but I guess that was the goal, since it's cartoon...?
I like the mouse and hores a lot, too. But the "horse", isn't that a donkey?
I don't get the idea about the toaster and the planes, but it looks nice...

Greetz, Ky.

dagoof
06-02-2004, 03:20 PM
That's some nice work.

spooky3d
06-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Great work! Nice job on the lipsync.Very good demo reel keep it up.
I liked your intro alot.

BishopLynx
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am working on some more animations at the moment to spruce it up. I realize after watching it a few more times that there is not enough content that grabs. Kind of boring, so I am working on some stuff that will hopefully spruce it up a bit.

MosaFacku
06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
hey matthew,

this is a really big improvement over your last reel. i really like the rabbit animations. they show off your best acting. the lip synch poses are cool, i just think that the timing is a little off on most of the synch. might just be the avi file though...

i'd say the clip talking about santa is the strongest on the reel. cool acting stuff going on.

the eva jump and lifts are really cool too.

i really like the close up of the scared radio thing. friggin sweet.

ok, now onto the weaker stuff. starting off, the "its alive" clip, i think, could be stronger. make the poses more dynamic. i think his animation should be really intense on the last "alive" but right now, he looks kinda relaxed, through some tension in there like the eva picking up the box or the scared radio. the "can i ask you a personal question" isn't so hot. the animation doesn't really fit the sound clip that well. the walk and run cycles right now are a bit jerky, i'd work on those some more if you're up for it.

other than those. its cool stuff man!! welcome to california!! when did you move out here??

BishopLynx
06-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Hey Matt thanks.

I agree on the "its Alive" thing. Going to redo that one.

I will look at the dialouge but it might just be the codec prob.

Thanks for the welcome...I moved out here around two monthes ago to live with Noah PEterson, if you remember him.

How are things with you? Send me a PM if you've the time.

Matthew

Have you talked to Grey? Living in Chicago now.

lestdog
06-06-2004, 11:00 AM
yeah people are getting real lazy and not doing crits as much.. anyway, sweet reel. I agree with the last comments and yeah either really work that "can i ask you a personal question" bit or drop it all together. It's really not working at all.. In fact I was so impressed with the reel I went back to look at that bit because It was bothering me. Because when I watched it the first, I thought to myself ' man I really like this reel but was up with that thing in the beggining?' So you can see how the first impression was. There work though.. Really good stuff.

BishopLynx
06-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks.

It is such a quick piece...I will just re-work it when I get a chance.

I appreciate everyones honesty with that piece as well.

Matthew.

rony
06-25-2004, 09:12 PM
nice reel especially the lip syncs at the beginning. One thing that bothered me was the walk on that rabbitand the pose seems awkward too, other than that very nice reel.

ThePrintMaster
06-25-2004, 10:00 PM
id love to take a look but since i am on a mac. i cant look at divx. perhaps a .mov? make it a little more universal

thephalinx
06-26-2004, 01:15 AM
I don't think the organization of the reel is that provocative, and the faded out corners seem a little pointless.

But the quality of the work in the reel is no less than amazing, which makes up for the fact that the presentation of the reel is just a little dry. However, if you really able to pull the reel together, so that it's organization was truely provacative, you would have a reel amoung reels.

I'd be interested in seeing some more of you're work, it really looks great.
And props to having both the Pink Panther and Family guys quotes.

slaughters
06-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Reel Composition:

To make your reel be a little shorter and have more punch I would move the "Damn You vile woman" clip to be right after the "Inspector Clouseau" Clip. No reason to include any of the other vampire bunny clips as neither are as strong.

You can then throw in the running guy run cycle, immediatly followed by the clip of the same charater running into the hurdle.

I'd then round it out with the frightened WWII radio clips, and leave out the donkey/mouse and lifting clips.

P.S. Big download. Maybe use MOV or MPG so the clip can be viewed while it is downloading. Shorten the reel by doing something about the last 45 seconds of the 2:35 minute reel beeing nothing other than contact info.

Dead_Last
06-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree with what others have said about your reel. I think the animation during most of the rabbit scenes is excellent, and my favorite parts of the reel, but I do agree that you could possibly make the reel more interesting. Nice job so far though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.