PDA

View Full Version : question about all those "system integrators" BOXX, Alienware

lukx
05-31-2004, 06:17 AM
I never trusted such way of making new system. I was always puting new platform by mysefl casue I think it's cheaper. I don't loose my warranty when I want to dig inside case and finnaly I know what I got inside.
Now tell me what brand of peripherials BOXX is putting inside their system? What mainborad, memory, hard disk?

singularity2006
05-31-2004, 07:07 AM
I can't tell u since I don't own a Boxx system, but those are definitely solid systems from what I have seen. Granted, it's not as cheap as assembling your own, but these are the most solid pieces of work I've seen next to Dell. And in terms of what I know from Dell, they never use generic parts and always use genuine Intel branded parts (where applicable) and major name brand for everything else. They OEM here and there, but always from reliable brands such as NEC.

GregHess
05-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Boxx uses retail boards from Tyan/Supermicro.

As to specific components and setups...why don't you ask them directly.

Dell tends to use their own motherboard/power supplies, which is why some people have alot of trouble when they go to upgrade their systems. (Plug the wrong psu in and BAM, goodbye computer).

Blackstripe
06-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by singularity2006
I can't tell u since I don't own a Boxx system, but those are definitely solid systems from what I have seen. Granted, it's not as cheap as assembling your own, but these are the most solid pieces of work I've seen next to Dell.

You might want to revise that comparison. Dell's machines are OK, but they're nowhere near the level of quality and solidity as some of the more specialized vendors. I would hope (seeing how I just bought one!) that Boxx machines are far nicer in terms of build quality and overall fit/finish.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.