PDA

View Full Version : Maya SubD Texture Problem

Kate
05-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Hello! My name is Katie, this is the first time I join this forum. I see there are lots of knowledgeble artists here! I have a Maya SubD issue and hope I can get some help please!

I made a realistic SubD human in Maya, and I'm UV mapping him before rigging. But I found out that when I only select a few faces out of the whole mesh (his T-shirt part, say) and apply one texture, the whole human get textured. I was expecting it would behave like a Poly, where I can apply however many different materials I want to one object....

My eyes were widened with horror-- Maya's SubD doesn't do per-face materials?! Say it isn't so!

So far my best solution is to make my human out of different parts, instead of one whole mesh. But then how would I set up my skeleton? Or I could map the whole human as one big UV map, but it's obviously a huge bother.

Am I missing something critical here and being silly or is there a way around this problem?

Thank you whoever paid attention to my questions!

iuri
05-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Okey!!!!!

there´s a problem there! Hummmm.....

how do you apply the texture?
--> you apply in material and apply the marterial in you´r SuBD! if you apply only you´re tex on the model te texture show in all faces in the model, if you do in this way and keep doing this problem contact you support

:)

sir dimos
06-27-2004, 09:08 AM
hey kate i know how to fix this prob of yours, you can't do the right click thing with sub d's you have to first select your faces you want textured, then with your hypershade open middle mouse button drag onto these faces and ka king it should applly the map where you ant it.:)

Kate
06-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks, I actually figured it out, though by comparison, Maya's SubD operations doesn't seem very mature like XSI does. They'll need to catch up.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.