PDA

View Full Version : New 3D Composting Software

GRMac13
07-19-2002, 05:42 AM
Ran across this new 3D composting suite to be debuted at Siggraph. I think these guys used to work for discreet developing combustion (or flame, not sure, so don't quote me). In any case, this app looks like it could be a kick-ass alternative to combustion or AE. Check it out:

http://www.radtime.com/main/3dFilmProductIntro.asp

DragomanJK
07-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Luke Werhli
It matters, it sounds odd for me.

And Maya, is in sanscript, one of the oldest languages in the world and the base for almost all the european and indian languages, like german, latin, english, hindi.

Incredible, but true.

Very cool name.

wha???

Anyway... the compositor runs on win98... very strange to see that. No Linux support yet

Yiorgz
07-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by GRMac13
Ran across this new 3D composting suite to be debuted at Siggraph. I think these guys used to work for discreet developing combustion (or flame, not sure, so don't quote me). In any case, this app looks like it could be a kick-ass alternative to combustion or AE.

From what I heard it's going to be called "Methane" ? or something like that ? :p

A neat concept, merging the 3D, would definately assist with workflow for some people, although I don't go for all the coloured icons. I like a desaturated interface on graphics software that won't distract from the work.

ps. ;) just jokes about the "Methane" thing - I read the title and thought "hehe a funny thread - let's have a look"

GRMac13
07-19-2002, 05:31 PM
LOL, I guess it's obvious spelling isnt one of my strong points.

cgSquad
07-19-2002, 06:45 PM
if they guys worked for discreet. discreet may take them to court. well they cant easily let them go. just like pixar and exluna.

GRMac13
07-19-2002, 06:55 PM
I know there were rumors of a lawsuit, so I guess we should wait and see how long they stay around before investing in this software

xynaria
07-20-2002, 12:49 AM
MNNN looks both intruiging and keenly priced. I might think Discreet need a kick up the arse(or far far worse) for their handling of Max but I do think the Combustion interface is a great piece of design... Radtime seems to not quite have that finesse but then compared to Adobe interfaces which I loathe ..it looks positively inviting! LOL :bounce:

Yiorgz
07-21-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by GRMac13
LOL, I guess it's obvious spelling isnt one of my strong points.

:D thaaaaats not a spelling error (I'm sure you knew how to spell it), your fingers just thought they'd be funny. ;)

Luke Werhli
07-23-2002, 09:10 PM
My message was not suposed to be here!!! It was another forum topic about the Brazil rendering, in the lightning forum...

hahahahahahahha. Sorry. I musta be craze.

cerebros
07-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Radtime is founded by guys who worked for Dvision, they made an editing product which was later bought by discreet, and called edit*

beaker
07-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Didn't this come out over a year and a half ago? I remember the developers showing it off at an MGLA meeting early last year. I put it in my compositing software list last year in the compositing forum:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=101533

Personally I wasn't that impressed with the software. They are trying to do sorta a 3d and compositor in one with modules. The 3d and 2d tools looked like software I used in college 10 years ago. Infiniti/Raydream designer/3dstudio 4/Effect.

RangTang
07-07-2004, 02:10 AM
GRMac13,

The old Discreet Combustion guys are the ones who did Apple's Motion, the link you provided is to an OLD program not a NEW program, oh right, it's the new secret Methane version.
I'm just a little ticked to get sucked into your post.

edit: sorry, the post is an OLD post, not a NEW post.
I'm just a little ticked that someone resurrected the topic.

GRMac13
07-07-2004, 02:34 AM
GRMac13,

The old Discreet Combustion guys are the ones who did Apple's Motion, the link you provided is to an OLD program not a NEW program, oh right, it's the new secret Methane version.
I'm just a little ticked to get sucked into your post.
This thread is almost 2 years old, dude. Far from NEW. :thumbsup:

beaker
07-07-2004, 02:46 AM
Woops, didn't even look at the date on the rest of the thread. I wish people (cerebros) would stop resurecting 2 year old threads about old new just to add their two cents.

cerebros
07-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Woops, didn't even look at the date on the rest of the thread. I wish people (cerebros) would stop resurecting 2 year old threads about old new just to add their two cents.
Heh, to be honest this was on the third page of the cgtalk news page when I replied. I also don't like resurecting 2 year old threads so people can add their 2 cents. I doubt very much that I'd spend my time searching for threads to bring forward again.

Don't assume I did this on purpose, you yourself were at first not aware that this thread was 2 years old, I never glanced at the date either seeing as it was on page 3 of the news sub-forum.

lets let this thread rest... : ) for once and for all...

Laters...

c.

Para
07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, this is surely a step to right direction in compositing (in general)...

...but I've seen better ;)

mummey
08-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone heard anything out of this company lately? The software seems interesting and I think I might have run into them at Siggraph.

-b

Epicentre
08-19-2004, 05:00 AM
i have heard (from a friend of a friend etc) that ESC are looking at a 3D compositing package... not sure if its RadTime's 3dFilm. there is talk that it (unknown 3D compositor) could be next alternative/replacement for Apple Shake.

I searched the SIGGRAPH 2004 exhibitors and couldn't find anything about 3D compositors. RadTime's website hasn't been updated since 2002.... nothing to suggest that they had a booth at SIGGRAPH.

Could there be another 3D compositor in development?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.