PDA

View Full Version : Slow RIG--Suggestions for Speed?

uncle_buck
05-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Slow RIG--Suggestions for Speed?
Hey Hey!

Just curious. Is there any way to go back in the Inputs Panel of a Model and edit something then go back out.

I added blendshapes to a model's head, then sewn it onto the body. I was hoping I could go back in the Inputs but I can't figure out how. It's REALLY slow, just thought there might be someway for me to speed it up.

Any suggestions?

I really look up to you guys!

Cheers

bentllama
05-30-2004, 08:36 PM
when working on heavy models, I have 3 rigs, each with different levels of detail...

1 - simple skeletal rig to block out and rifine full body anim
2 - simple skeleton with blendshapes and cloth/etc on it that I use the aniamtion from rig 1 on and add blendshape/cloth/etc anim to
3 - render rig with all anim copied over from rigs 1 and 2 to that is the slowest rig to work with, but I only render from it...

loked
05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
I think anytime you gonna be working with Characters, it's imperative you have some kind of animation transfer tool so that you can transfer animation from rig to rig. Just as bentllama said, you definitely cant animate with your hi-res(deformers, influences, blends..etc) rig. If you not too familiar with mel, I'd suggest really getting into it or otherwise you can get a nice animTransfer tool from people who have theirs online.

later:wavey:
loked

CGOrange
05-31-2004, 01:54 AM
hey, I don't have much experience but intead of transfering animation another way would be to animate on a low res proxy of your hi res model or if your low res is still to high to animate with you could make low geo shapes to represent your character and parent them to the proper joints.

but for the blenshapes of the head, you could change your design so that you dont have sew your head to the body. (like add a "choker" or end your head under the collor of the shirt.

hope it helps a little.

loked
05-31-2004, 07:29 AM
I think this method is cool if you're working in a small environment and on smaller projects. The advantages to seperate rigs, is cleaner faster scenes. Everything in one scene is quite hectic especially if you got cloth, muscles, skin solvers...etc. Also you want the animators to start animating on the low res, while you've got texture artists shading and texturing, lighting artists lighting and creature/character td's doing all the fancy deformation setups. All these things can happen simultaneously and then you just transfer the animation over once it's complete and woila! :)

Seperate rigs is the norm in most studios. It's really just smaller ones that dont do it. I guess it comes down to your needs, time and budget :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

uncle_buck
06-01-2004, 01:49 AM
The seperate rig scenario sounds like a good way out. I might go the full lengths of setting up 3 seperate rigs, but I think I could just stick with 2 for now. I don't have THAT much crazy stuff going on and the systems here are pretty powerful.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers guys!

CGOrange
06-01-2004, 05:17 AM
makes a lot of sense, thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.