PDA

View Full Version : Tappered Rail Extrude?????

studiomiguel
01-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Is there a way to do a tappered rail extrude in Ltw?
To be more descriptive... I need to create a hose/tube/pipe that is one diameter at one end and another diameter at the other.
What do you think, eh?

JacquesD
01-31-2002, 04:01 AM
I don't know if I got it right but if you just need to model a hose, you draw a spline in a BKG layer, the hose shape in the front layer and then use the function rail extrude.

studiomiguel
01-31-2002, 04:34 AM
By the hose shape in the foreground you mean the profile (i.e. a circle/disc/round thingie) which I then extrude...
right, this works great and I use it a lot. But I want one end of my hose to be larger than the other end. I've done this in Rhino before, but I just wanted to know if I could accomplish it in lightwave. I can do a workaroudn inwhich I bevel my disc and bevel and bevel and bevel each segment changes size slightly, ut on longer hoses and pipes this can be rather time intensive and was trying to figure a workaround.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.... hopefully this clears up what I am looking to do.

BTW, anyone know anything about export lightwave to max and maintaining my quad polys?

policarpo
01-31-2002, 05:19 AM
I don't have an answer on tapering the end of your hose...but i look forward to a solution.

as far as exporting to max...export your .LWO as an .OBJ or a .LWO and get the .LWO importer from max.

if the .LWO importer doesn't read it right, then just use the .OBJ importer.

Here's the link for both.

http://www.maxplugins.de/

choose the version of Max you are running and select the Import/Export link and download the Max2Obj and Obj2Max and LWO import files.

I've used both in the past with great success when i needed to maintain my Quad Polys.

good luck.

-policarpo

Bytehawk
01-31-2002, 05:56 AM
instead of using just 1 rail extrude

select,copy, paste your original rail
stretch [h]
position so it defines the right size at beginning and end

rail extrude with the rails in background and disc (or other object in foreground)

it's crude but works

http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/cgchann/extrude.gif

policarpo
01-31-2002, 06:26 AM
awesome....that's a great pointer....i now have a great new way to model irregular and organic tube shapes!

woo hoo!

sorry...first few sips of guiness slipping past my lips.

mmmmmmmmm

:-D

-policarpo

Chewey
01-31-2002, 06:46 AM
Here's an alternate technique that I use to create hoses in Lightwave.

I'd use subd's to rough out the basic shape and then metaform the non tabbed geometry to acheive that extra poly count if you really need it.

You could just start with a box and
stretch it out by translating a single side/poly a good distance away from the opposite side of the box, take the side you translated and scale it down to about the size you want the hose to taper down to. Use the knife tool to slice some extra geometry close and parallel to the scaled down end and make another slice close and parallel to the end at the opposite side of the box. Further slice the box in between the two box ends to create the cross sections that will be the bend positions for the hose if you're looking to bend it in the manner that Bytehawk shows in his screenshot. (i'm assuming you're going to have the geometry set to subd's while performing these ops)

Here's a tip, once you slice all the geometry into the box and BEFORE you start translating the cross sections to make your hose all wavey and wiggly,
create your uv mapping while the elogated box is still nice and straight. I use cyclindrical mapping and it works great for this type of hose when kept as a subd object.

Once you get the hose massaged and tweaked then undo the tab/subd's and use metaform to create whatever crazy amount of tesselation you need.
(you can likely forget that uv map you created earlier once you tesselate it for extra geometry)

Better yet, if you're using the geometry only in Lightwave keep it as a subd object.

heh, good luck following those directions! If I had web space I'd post an example for you.

studiomiguel
01-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys for both of the suggestions.
I love these little tricks of the trade. I've known about the multirail extrude for some time now, but I never thought of implementing it in such a method. Chewey, as for your suggestion. I love the idea of creating UVs befor I start twisting and turning everything! I never thought of doing this. Characters I model are a total bummer to pose because I never thought of creating UV maps BEFORE I pose them!?? What a dork! Pipes, arms, legs, bananas! They can all be UV'd then bent to my hearts desire while still mapping easily!
Thanks guys, your lifesavers!

Bytehawk
01-31-2002, 04:49 PM
no problemo

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.