View Full Version : Kaena ...

tomaya
05-25-2004, 11:13 PM
In us theaters in june 2004...

http://www.sonypicture.com/movies/kaenatheprophecy/index.html

Tom

ringzero
05-25-2004, 11:44 PM
That gallery...erm...how do you say..its..stinking?

Hope the films better than its "look". Everything from the logo to the character design looks like mid 90`s cut game FMV....

asparapani
05-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Finally they got a US distributor!!!

JamesDeschenes
05-26-2004, 12:37 AM
I thought this project disapeared off the face of the planet... I remember seeing trailers for it years ago (at least it feels like it)

eliseu gouveia
05-26-2004, 01:36 AM
I can´t wait to get myself the DVD!!

Vushvush
05-26-2004, 01:45 AM
it is 90's game cinematic quality.... and the story doesn't make up for that. Sorry guys.....

Bupa
05-26-2004, 08:25 AM
I have seen it on dvd. I have mixed feelings about it.
Can't tell it's bad but it's neither good. I still think they used the wrong software for the animation. And story didn't had that much power.

I think the more u see it the more you like it. It's with me anyway.

Khepri
05-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I still think they used the wrong software for the animation
:rolleyes:
as if the software you use has anithing to do with the quality you can deliver with it.

ringzero
05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
if software has nothing to do with what you produce then why do we all upgrade our software packages?

Its failrly obvious tools affect the outcome of your work.

Now back to Kaena....

I saw there was two worms characters in as comic relief sidekicks - did that pan out as badly as it looked in the promo material I saw years back?

They looked like a dissaster waiting to happen...

baby
05-26-2004, 10:32 AM
so you think the enchantered forest is a great movie because they use top notch software ??

just one minute...

huhuhuhuhuhuhu....

ok...

arfff....

baby
05-26-2004, 10:34 AM
didn't give my opinion...
well hum...
there are some very very nice stuff in the movie...but not a lot...

anyway don't expect a PIXAR or PDI movie...more an "enchantered forest" one, in a different style.

Bupa
05-26-2004, 12:21 PM
If you think that "enchantered forest" and "Kaena" are on the same level then I think you are wrong. But that's my personal opinion.
For me Kaena is a much higher level then "enchantered forest".
I never said that "enchantered forest" is a great movie. Most of the animators who worked on it still had to learn Maya while working on the movie. I saw some animationtest from there second movie and it's a lot better.

And yes, for me software does matter to do animation. Character studio has limitations.

baby
05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
I think Kaena and the enchantered forest suffer from the same syndrome, yeah...
but in two very different style...which make it hard to see it...

but don't get me wrong, I've got a ton of respect for both team !!!! the french one (several good friends work on it) and the spanish team....they worked very hard...

- too ambitious in both case for the size of the studio
- not enough money to complete with the same level of quality from beginning to the end. Just watch Kaena eyes in the first shots and Kaena eyes at the end...
- very nice stuff in both (ok ok, more in Kaeana...) as I said there are some very very nice thing in the french movie...some shots are really impressive.
- both suffer from "not very interesting" and "not original scenario"
- both have great DVDs with very interesting bonus :))) where you learn that a CG movie requires a little bit of work :)))

just one thing I want to add
How many shorts, and how many years did PIXAR wait before doing Toy Story ??
voila.

flipnap
05-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Its failrly obvious tools affect the outcome of your work.

thats laughable .. you cant be serious.. tell me that was a sarcastic comment.. if you were serious, then you seriously need to look at rustboy

ringzero
05-26-2004, 01:42 PM
give a carpenter blunt tools.....

its a fairly safe bet to say that if your tools are not up to scratch you could possibly struggle more than the next guy whos using better tools.... at least you have to work harder to overcome the downside to a sub par toolset.

Common sense I`d say.

I got no gripe about any software either...Just I wouldnt use microsoft paint when I had photoshop...get it ??

The same goes for 3d apps.

flipnap
05-26-2004, 01:48 PM
http://www.rustboy.com/

this guy built a mansion with blunt tools and his own hands.. he used "infiini-D" , an old, discontinued app for the MAC.. His work blows away some of the feature films in production.. Animators at Pixar are still using marionette for animation, which i heard is painful to say the least when compared to Maya or XSI.. Advanced tools might make the job easier but definitely wont make the work better...

ringzero
05-26-2004, 01:59 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head flipnap...

Bad software is bad. But if you are stupidly fantasic at your job you can overcome these restrictions...like Pixar guys do.

Most people choose their tools to help them do better work & faster. So ultimately better software makes your end result better cause you get their faster - allowing tou to spend the extra time you saved on increasing th e quality past where it would have otherwise been.

BTW I dont rate rustboy... I agree its certainly on par visually with Kaena allbeit in a different style...but looks very poor by any of the cg movies we might call "highend or proffessional"

Actually I said in a thread about rustboy that it looked like shots from a computer game....at least im consistent if nothing else...8-)

AnimBot
05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I can't believe we still have arguments on this site about the quality of work vs tools. I thought it was quite obvious that talent matters but I guess some people still disagree. As long as a program has the basics for character animation (bones and IK) I could easily get by without the bells and whistles.

ringzero
05-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Bad software doesnot necssarily mean bad results

But it will take you longer to get to where you want your animation quality to be...therfore if you run out of time the bad software has hindered and affected the quality of your work.

THere are of course extremes examples - could shrek be made in Bryce? no of course not...

THerefore I`d say asking the simple question whether or not somebody used the best most suitable tool for a job is a valid one.

MGernot
05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Some attitudes will never die.
Even after WARCRAFT III Cinematics and the
Onimusha3 Intro and various BLUR stuff.

It seems that for some people on CGtalk 3D software
is rather a lifestyle than a tool.

Meli

ringzero
05-26-2004, 08:31 PM
I would point out that Warcraft and Onimusha are the exceptions in the game cinematics world.

so to be clearer - not that Kaena looks like game cinematics - I meant bad game cinematics.

GeekAnimator
05-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I can't believe you people are arguing about this. everything RingZero said has been basic common sense.

Of COURSE talent matters. Of COURSE it can make up for a lot. But every tool is different, with strength and weaknesses. So what if Rustboy looks cool? You're trying to extrapolate one person's animation into some ultimate axiom about "every tool being equal", which is just goofy.

damian67
05-26-2004, 09:44 PM
OK, completely ignoring a few of the previous posts, but not because they were not interesting:

Kaena(DVD):
Story - So so, nothing really to get excited about. Another 'chosen one' kind of a thing. I was unable to get attached to any of the characters, but that could have been me.
Humour - They try, with the worms, but only succeed up to a certain extent. Well, not actually.
Gfx - Some beautiful graphics in there. Great use of their fluid simulation plugin!
Sound - Don't recall really.
Thrill: The Marauder scene can scare the hell out of you! If you let it.
Animation: Not good at all, but that's not the most important thing in my opinion.
Extras: Interview with the digital actress playing Kaena. Nice touch, but the humour in that is...wel...absent. Still, nicely done.

Overall, I would give it a 5 on a scale from 1 to 10 if compared to the big league, but as an independent CG-feature I would give it a 7. It really fell short in the story and script department I think.
Nevertheless, better than anything I've ever done, and maybe will ever do!

Nemoid
05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I think a movie like Kaena could be a great possibility for european animation to become better, especially with 3D animation. maybe it's not the case with this movie because i've read some bad rewiews of it, but i think i will watch it and judge by myself. hope also they will do a sequel as they stared into an article i read into an italian magazine

JA-forreal
05-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Now I'm not into 3d art like Kaena. But I am into gauging people’s reactions to popular styles of commercial CG media art. It will be interesting to see how the greater general public reacts to Kaena outside of the technical reactions I'm seeing here on CGtalk. Interesting. Especially when the production budget was less than other CG films of this style.

slaughters
05-26-2004, 11:49 PM
It would be nice if the renders looked like their banner ad:

http://www.sonypicture.com//groups/us/documents/image/gp050348.jpg

But from this still shot from the actual movie, it does not look like it is:

http://www.sonypicture.com//groups/us/documents/image/gp050314.jpg

charleyc
05-26-2004, 11:55 PM
I haven't gotten to see the whole film yet, I did see an extended preview a few years back. While I am sure not too many of the crits are out of line, one thing to keep in mind with this film is that it was finished several years ago using 3dsmax r3 (which was never known for its character animation abilities even amongst talented users). Exceptional stuff was made with it (Blizzards work), but Keana didn't stand out as poor quality while it was in production, in fact is had a very appealling look back then. Today a lot has changed in the realm of what is accepted as good quality animation and I am sure the makers of Keana are much more talented and could produce a better film today. I am happy and encouraged to see a low budget CG film make it, even if it is a few years behind.

AnimBot
05-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ringzero
I would point out that Warcraft and Onimusha are the exceptions in the game cinematics world.

so to be clearer - not that Kaena looks like game cinematics - I meant bad game cinematics.

I believe he meant the tools that were used for the cinematics not the fact that they were game cinematics. The only way that I can see the tools becoming a major issue in quality is A) The tool you are using lacks the functionality for the task you are attempting to use it for. B) It has the functionality is there but does not work properly. If the functionality exists and it works properly then everything else is on the artists.
Bupa's statements imply that the quality of the animation suffered because of the use of Character Studio and its limitations. If you've ever read my remarks in previous threads on the subject of CS then you would quickly realize I'm not a big fan of it. With that being said CS has never affected the quality of my animations. Animations I've done in Maya, Max bones, and Max CS are of the same quality. This is stupid how do I get sucked into these threads.

ghZaaaRK
05-27-2004, 12:05 AM
I like this movie,not the best story but attractive. It stills "watchable" and with some pleasure.

About rendering, i have to admit i was astonished, it is really well done, a bit too dark sometimes but no dramatic, some shots are really amazing.

Animation: we know... :)

well, it deservers at least your attention.

i hope the next european's feature won't take 5 years

ghZaaaRK
05-27-2004, 12:10 AM
I like this movie,not the best story but attractive. It stills "watchable" and with some pleasure.

About rendering, i have to admit i was astonished, it is really well done, a bit too dark sometimes but no dramatic, some shots are really amazing.

Animation: we know... :)

well, it deservers at least your attention.

i hope the next european's feature won't take 5 years

Pixlmonky
05-27-2004, 12:27 AM
I think the movie still image lacks the lighting that the banner has. Are those finished renders?

shehbahn
05-27-2004, 12:42 AM
more images here :

http://www.kaena.lycos.fr/index.php?id=44&lang=fr&mainmedia=10

the lighting seems a little uneven throughout - bear in mind however that Kaena's $25M production cost is comparatively inferior to Jimmy Neutron's $30M...

MartinGFoster
05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by shehbahn
more images here :

http://www.kaena.lycos.fr/index.php?id=44&lang=fr&mainmedia=10

the lighting seems a little uneven throughout - bear in mind however that Kaena's $25M production cost is comparatively inferior to Jimmy Neutron's $30M...

Well, even the example movies are pretty poor quality. Where do I begin? Bad animation? Or lack of motion blur?

Jimmy Neutron actually compares very well to Kaena and at least they used motion blur, although it's not the best looking motion blur (visible time samples), it's better than none at all.

If you want to see some cool French animation (2d/3d) how about "The Triplets of Belleville"? Just saw it last night. Very good and it certainly had that "je ne sais quoi?" French style humour and style.

AnimBot
05-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by MartinGFoster
Well, even the example movies are pretty poor quality. Where do I begin? Bad animation? Or lack of motion blur?

Jimmy Neutron actually compares very well to Kaena and at least they used motion blur, although it's not the best looking motion blur (visible time samples), it's better than none at all.

If you want to see some cool French animation (2d/3d) how about "The Triplets of Belleville"? Just saw it last night. Very good and it certainly had that "je ne sais quoi?" French style humour and style.

Yea Triplets is a pretty good movie but I just really couldn't get into it due to the total lack of motion blur. :p

baby
05-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Jimmy Neutron is totally different.

the movie reaches his ambitions.
not trying to be more than what it supposed to be.
a mid budget movie, without technical breaktrough
very funny (I love Jimmy !!)

like veggietales movie.

then succes is another thing...I'm pretty pesimistic about Kaena succes in the states...which is a pitty...

in France one of the problem was the lack of marketing when it went out...but people who saw it though, not too bad...

In the states might be different, like let's try to sell it for what it's not, and people might be very disappointed...

but I hope...

mr-doOo
05-27-2004, 11:11 PM
i really didn t like it, i found it poorly directed, didn t like the lights and the too much contrasted color correction,and some sequences look like they are in 12fps or retimed,and, and and.....

MartinGFoster
05-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by AnimBot
Yea Triplets is a pretty good movie but I just really couldn't get into it due to the total lack of motion blur. :p

well that would be silly because 2d animation (or toon shaded 3d) does not have any motion blur. Even if there are 3d elements with toon shading. Probably wouldn't look right with flat shading and thick black outlines around characters.

However, 3d fully-shaded animation always has (or really should have) motion blur, unless the makers were trying to cut costs. Therefore it just looks cheap when you don't have it.

emilioG
05-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Kaena was a great experience, and hats off to the whole team for being this ambitious. This is what it takes for a studio to make it or break it. It takes guts to even remotely attempt such a feet.

give a carpenter blunt tools.....

its a fairly safe bet to say that if your tools are not up to scratch you could possibly struggle more than the next guy whos using better tools.... at least you have to work harder to overcome the downside to a sub par toolset.

Common sense I`d say.

I beg to differ. I've animated EXTENSIVELY in Softimage|3D, Maya, 3dsmax, and other inhouse software at different companies.

3DsMax (biped or not) is the fastest and more accurate than Maya. This is for ANIMATION, not the whole package. I only speak of what I know.

Unless you've animated extensively in all, you cannot possibly have an opinion on the matter.

I got no gripe about any software either...Just I wouldnt use microsoft paint when I had photoshop...get it ??

The same goes for 3d apps.

easy... clearly you haven't been watching the work produced on other software but Maya.
I Love Maya as the choice overall package, but for animation, it stinks.

tomaya
05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi dude !!!! Emilioooo how do you do my friend ?!!
Nice to hear you again,where are you , what are you doing......?
I 've just post this in a very simple way,just to say : hey guys
there 's a movie there , watch it .... ...and then, talk about it with your friends around a beer... ...that's all...

Hey bud, Tell me what are you doing now,i'm sure that you have five kids with a lovely wife, and a big big ranch in the Navaro land somewhere in the four corners...no?
Yeeeeep Man i'm sure of that !

It's so nice to have some news from the great Emilio....

See ya Boy

Tom Da Fx guy from France...

emilioG
05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Tomas old friend!!!
All is well here.
We finished Shrek2 which was quite enjoyable, and now we're doing Madagascar. Mad looks very promising, so we'll see! ;)

As for the wife/ranch/kids.

Sorry dude, not yet. But feel free to consider Fiona my wife :D
lol

ps: everyone on CGtalk should realize that Tomas is a GOD in FX, modeling, etc...

emilioG
05-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Forgot one thing:

I'm working on a sweet model/short fight scene. I'll post it sometime this... year.

You still have the same email?

tomaya
05-28-2004, 11:31 PM
No I've a new one, ... ...: thomas.marque@wanadoo.fr

Nice to have some news of you, Shrek2 seems to be amazing
good job Emilio ! you 're a real "artist" (in the french way, the best one...)

See ya very soon my friend

Tom

ringzero
05-29-2004, 08:07 PM

clearly you haven't been watching the work produced on other software but Maya. I Love Maya as the choice overall package, but for animation, it stinks.

Hey, I never said I liked Maya

I never said I liked any package actually.

But you seem to be agreeing with me anyhow...your saying that different packages have different strengths and you prefer when you work with the packages with the strengths...

My point exactly - a better package improves your work. Were not talking about the difference between an HB pencil and charcoal - were talking 3d apps with bugs and nasty workarounds and pressing 10 buttons to do something another package does in 1 click. Shudder...

ambient-whisper
05-29-2004, 09:22 PM
better package improves your work.

nah.its all based on how well you know the package :).

MikeRhone
05-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
nah.its all based on how well you know the package :).

Not 'know' Martin... how well you use the package. ;)

M

emilioG
05-29-2004, 09:54 PM
agreed on that point RingZero.

:D

tomaya
05-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Yep,... ... ok... ...True... And let's say that the most important thing is the Hand ... ....not the soft... ...ok?.... I'm right
or not....:beer: :beer: :beer:

emilioG
05-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Tom, of course I agree on THAT!
:beer: :beer:

AnimBot
05-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by MartinGFoster
well that would be silly because 2d animation (or toon shaded 3d) does not have any motion blur. Even if there are 3d elements with toon shading. Probably wouldn't look right with flat shading and thick black outlines around characters.

However, 3d fully-shaded animation always has (or really should have) motion blur, unless the makers were trying to cut costs. Therefore it just looks cheap when you don't have it.

Tarzan used it all over the place. Either way don't pay attention to me I was just joking around.

SuperMax
05-31-2004, 02:38 PM
I think this movie maybe on par with Bionicle in terms of 3d quality, maybe a bit better.

Recursive
05-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rhonedog
Not 'know' Martin... how well you use the package. ;)

M

or how well your boss thinks you use the package

MartinGFoster
05-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by AnimBot
Tarzan used it all over the place. Either way don't pay attention to me I was just joking around.

Interesting. I guess there's always an exception to prove the rule. I own "Tarzan" on DVD so I'll check it out. I'm guessing that the motion blur is on the backgrounds and/or 3d rendered elements but not on the cel painted characters.

I figured you were joking :)

If I was making a 3d movie, I would rank the following things most important:

1) story and character development
2) character animation
3) colour and lighting

So even though I specialize in #3, I don't rate it as important as character animation. If I had to save some money on the production I would simplify the models, like the did in Jimmy Neutron and VeggieTales.

MartinGFoster
05-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SuperMax
I think this movie maybe on par with Bionicle in terms of 3d quality, maybe a bit better.

Gosh, I hope not. Bionicles is horrible. My son bought the DVD of the Bionicles and he thinks it's great. However, I'm just appalled by the crappy colour and lighting.

Just to show I'm not prejudiced, I'm fairly sure "Bionicles" was produced completely in Maya.

Wasn't Kaena started in 3dsMax/Character Studio and finished with XSI? Or just rendered in XSI? I might be confused with another film.

tevih
05-31-2004, 10:42 PM
What's the opposite of pumped? Imploded? Something like that probably... cuz I'm like imploding to see this.

Doesn't look so great to me...

Pentagramma
05-31-2004, 10:53 PM
It looks great to me - like a french comic book/ graphic novel. And I usually love this kind of stories. ;)

I´m very curious to watch this film - I really hope it gets released in Brazil (at least , in DVD).

asparapani
06-01-2004, 01:38 AM
To be honest I enjoyed the look of the film. It was different than most cg films. It's very Video Game/Fench in design and that makes it look unique. Is the look outdated? Yes but keep in mind that this film was designed almost 5 or 6 years ago and origanly destined for the game market. There are alot of shots that look impressive even for today's 3d standards.
I would say the weakest element for this film is story. That could've been worked on a little more. Character relations were weak aswell. I didn't feel for them.

My two cents....

yeoj3d
07-10-2004, 07:25 AM
I just saw Kaena at a theater in Los Angeles. It's only released in about 10 theaters in the entire United States and has gotten absolutly no promotion, sadly....

The art and visuals were a lot better than i thought they would be. Obviously Kaena is not on the same visual level as Final Fantasy, but it is worth it to see for the LIGHTING alone. The lighting was by far the best part of the film. The textures were great in some scenes, and bad in other scenes. Same with the water effects, they weren't consistent in quality. You could tell they spent more time on certain scenes. As for the modelling, the half worm/robot flying creatures were good models, probably the best models in the movie, besides the space station in the opening scene. But the human characters reminded me of the humans from Ice Age, not very detailed at all. The animation had some flaws and looked "hand keyframed" at times (not photorealistic) But there were some great animation sequences too, mainly when the vines grow and also the opening scene flying through a space station, that was good camera work in that shot. The story was not that good, as i expected. But my favorite thing about the art of Kaena was the lighting...say what you want about the story, textures, modelling, animation, but the lighting was amazing. Overall, i enjoyed the movie and didn't care about the lack of story because i thought the visuals made up for it. The opening scene was great too. And it surprised me how good some of the stuff was, considering that this movie was started with 3dsmax version 2 or 3 i think.

In the end, i must say that Kaena has the same positives/negatives as Final Fantasy did: great visuals and art, average story. But it is worth seeing and i do recommend this film. It's sad that it got absolutly no promotion here in America, and is only playing in a few theaters. Hopefully it will expand to more theaters.

Here's the link to the official Kaena website: http://www.kaena.lycos.fr (http://www.kaena.lycos.fr/)

shehbahn
07-11-2004, 01:08 AM
>I'm guessing that the motion blur is on the backgrounds

- i am fairly sure Deep Canvas elements had camera motion blur since the feature was available fairly early in the software iirc

- cells on the other hand don't have conventional motion blur, however, it is a common technique for animators to squash objects (to fairly extreme degrees if you watch the genie in Aladin for instance) to make up for the lack of actual "blur"

mosconariz
07-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Paul Peszko talks to director Chris Delaporte about Europes first 3D CGI feature and reviews the results.

>>Link<< (http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2154&page=1)

Sorry about the other thread :blush:

yeoj3d
07-13-2004, 01:42 AM
http://www.kaena.lycos.fr (http://www.kaena.lycos.fr/)

Here's when and where Kaena will be playing in America:

06-04-04 Brattle Theatre - Cambridge, MA

06-25-04 CTY Village East 7 - New York, NY
Fairfax Cinema - Los Angeles, CA

07-02-04 Starz Film Center 8 - Denver, CO

07-09-04 Angelika Houston - Houston, TX

07-16-04 Angelika Dallas - Dallas, TX

07-30-04 Brattle Theatre - Cambridge, MA
Esquire Theater - Chicago, IL
Fox 10 - Portland, OR

08-05-04 Red Vic Movie House - San Francisco, CA

08-28-04 Cleveland Cinematheque - Cleveland, OH

tomaya
07-13-2004, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=joey3d]I just saw Kaena at a theater in Los Angeles. It's only released in about 10 theaters in the entire United States and has gotten absolutly no promotion, sadly....

Happy to find somebody who've seen it in US !! In France it was the same story...no promo at all... ...well, i 'm agree with your comments on the movie
and i've worked on it !

Tom fxLead on K

NZO
07-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I am sad to know this news :argh:
damned !

Kaena was at a theater in Japan ??

mosconariz
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
In Mexico I'll be happy if it get realesed in one theater :sad:

FrozenSun
07-16-2004, 04:55 AM
I have been waiting for this a long time. I have followed the progress since the beginning.

Yes it was done in 3ds max 3 and the project was almost cancelled, but also it was only supposed to be in french. Actually production had halted for a few years. The english version has Kirsten Dunst as the voice of Kaena.

I don't think it will be here in Canada, but i shall hope to get it on dvd at least.

Ps. for those saying it is so crappy, can you do better! And also look at the Hulk it had , well that was just awful.

-frozensun

emilioG
07-16-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't think it will be here in Canada, but i shall hope to get it on dvd at least.

-frozensun FrozenSun: I'm happy to hear you defend it. Thanks ;) We busted our asses on that one. It's a sad way to show a movie 3 years later when the industry has jumped technical leaps, so automatically the movie looks, well, as someone else put it, mediocre.
It did pass in Canada last year at the Fantasia festival in Montreal, and there still is a possibility it'll show up in theatres, but it is slim unfortunately.

But like you said, you can get the dvd as we speak on amazon.fr, but it's region 2. Hope you have a multi-region dvd. I sure got one ;)

lates!

darkchyld88
07-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Ps. for those saying it is so crappy, can you do better! And also look at the Hulk it had , well that was just awful.

well i wouldn't totally agree with the statement u made... first people are just voicing their opinion and well it is not totally required that they do better or anything, that is like saying those movie/music/art critique would really need to maybe direct a movie, be able to make music or art to post their opinion on it ? I do not think so, just as you made a judgement on the Hulk, I am assuming u mean it was done technically well but not so on the story so based on your previous statement you would probably be a better story person before you made the statement on Hulk ?

FrozenSun: I'm happy to hear you defend it. Thanks ;) We busted our asses on that one. It's a sad way to show a movie 3 years later when the industry has jumped technical leaps, so automatically the movie looks, well, as someone else put it, mediocre.
It did pass in Canada last year at the Fantasia festival in Montreal, and there still is a possibility it'll show up in theatres, but it is slim unfortunately.

But like you said, you can get the dvd as we speak on amazon.fr, but it's region 2. Hope you have a multi-region dvd. I sure got one ;)

lates!

sorry to hear that you ppl busted ur asses on the movie but as u have said it was shown too late, I would agree with it, if I had seen it a few years back I might have been impressed but the fact is it is not and well honestly speaking I would have to say the character design was not done too well and that lead on to what I think as an unpleasant viewing.

FrozenSun
07-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey emilio, that too bad which i knew it was in montreal i would have went. I hope to get the dvd. Will you guys be making a sequel or something?

sorry to hear that you ppl busted ur asses on the movie but as u have said it was shown too late, I would agree with it, if I had seen it a few years back I might have been impressed but the fact is it is not and well honestly speaking I would have to say the character design was not done too well and that lead on to what I think as an unpleasant viewing.
Well now if talking about bad character design then my previous statement was correct. And no i was not talking about the story in the Hulk.:D

-frozensun

PokeChop
07-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Okay, I just saw the movie here in Texas. The local papers here gave it a C but I thought it was better than that. To whoever worked on this movie, I say good job with what you had to work with at the time.

I thought the sap queen was wonderful including all of the fluid dynamics you had going on in there.

Not once did I look at my watch ready to leave. I just hope some day I can be involved in something that looks so fun to work on.

Thank you for the inspiration! Much appreciated! And I too will be purchasing the DVD.

paintbox
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Just seen this movie (bought the DVD actually) and I thought it was beautifully made. I think it was a good story and allthough the story lacked some depth here and there (in the characters mostly -the priest is an example) , it was a great watch.

Technically it is very good, and the interview was a great laugh...

:thumbsup:

emilioG
07-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey emilio, that too bad which i knew it was in montreal i would have went. I hope to get the dvd. Will you guys be making a sequel or something?
-frozensun
I highly doubt it bud. But ya never know in this field. ;)

FrozenSun
07-20-2004, 01:49 AM
I highly doubt it bud. But ya never know in this field. ;)

Ahh come on, pleeeease. ;:

And you got that right for your second sentence.

-frozensun

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.