PDA

View Full Version : Camera converter (3DSMAX-MAYA-XSI)

motionblur
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi people, I've uploaded to my website www.motionblur.it (http://www.motionblur.it) a new set of scripts that allow camera animation to be imported/exported between 3DsMax/Maya/Softimage Xsi.

Camera Position, Rotation and FOV animation curves are supported by now, and more options are coming soon. Negative/positive timeranges could be used.

The problem is that, while camera conversion from Xsi to Maya and viceversa gives me 100% perfect results, the result in Max is only 99% correct: camera animation data is imported properly, camera and render settings are properly set, but the result is not perfectly accurate (try to create some cubes at the borders of the camera in maya or xsi, and re-create those cubes in max, then import the .cc curves and look at the result).

If any max experts could help me to figure out where's the problem, it would be great; I hope that the camera in Max behaves in the same way Xsi and Maya, also if using a different workflow.

Michele
motionblur@motionblur.it

yoni-cohen
05-25-2004, 10:40 PM
might it be a slight change in pixel aspect?

Jozvex
05-26-2004, 09:38 AM
It would be really helpful to get the camera conversion from Max to Maya (or the other way) 100%, it's exactly what I need at the moment.

Keep trying!

Gunnah
06-04-2004, 05:21 PM
are the FOV settings horizontal or vertical or diagonal?

it's the only thing i could think of

G

motionblur
06-04-2004, 05:29 PM
thanks for answering.

From what I understood by tweaking values and looking in Max' SDK, FOV in max is always horizontal, but can be displayed also as vertical or diagonal.

I still dont understand what I'm doing wrong, also because it seems to me that every setting / animation curve gets translated properly, but the resulting cameraview still looks slightly different from the original (i think it's a fov problem too, but can't figure out what i'm doing wrong).

wscates
06-06-2004, 05:41 PM
From my experience with the FBX camera conversion between Max and Maya the difference lies with the pixel aspect ratio. If everything is set to square pixels it comes out fine. the second you change it it gets off. I haven't tried your scripts yet, but I thought it might help you out.

Will

motionblur
06-06-2004, 08:52 PM
I've tried tweaking pixel ratio value before, and exporting a camera that has a pixel ratio of 1.0 doesnt solve (maybe because in maya and xsi the camera in viewport is not affected by pixel ratio changes).

If you find time to try the scripts and find a solution for this (also if you solve this by tweaking some values i might have forgot to handle), please mail me at motionblur@motionblur.it.

Thanks for time.

Michele

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.