PDA

View Full Version : exporting Chars

hamu73
05-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi there
I made an animation with the chars that come with MB and I want to export it into max....well I plotted the animation onto the skeleton and exported it.....and imported it in max...the skeleton comes out nicely but there is no mesh of the char....the name of the mesh is in the scene and I can select it but there is no mesh...well it is only a selection without any mesh...how can I import it with the mesh??
thanks

DrAdamDinosaur
05-24-2004, 12:01 PM
do you have the file you exported from open when you are importing? I think that is what you will need to do for everythgin to work properly.

hamu73
05-24-2004, 03:03 PM
i had MB open when I tried to imprt into max...or what do you mean??
I haven't exported any model into MB from max...I just want do import the plasticman and the animation into max, but it seems that the mesh isn't importing properly!!

hamu73
05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
well I tried again but it doesn't seem to import the mesh properly...any suggestions

DrAdamDinosaur
06-07-2004, 06:34 AM
When you are importing the file back into max, have the max scene file open that you exported from (the file you created in max that you then exported to motionbuilder) and then import the fbx file in n top of that one. I haven't done any importing back into programs as yet but this is my understanding as to how it works.

ddjix
06-08-2004, 10:45 PM
In that case, how do i import my anims from MB to let's say lightwave or Max if i DON'T have the original mesh... Let's say i wanna import the sets that comes with MB? How do i manage that...

DrAdamDinosaur
06-10-2004, 11:18 PM
well, when in doubt hit the manuals.........but that gave me nothing:shrug: but heres what I think.

I just watched the 3d buzz VTM1, fiel 10 on importing back to maya and It worked like I said. Export from motion builder, have the scene open in maya and then import in. As far as bringing in anims from characters you don't have the origional mesh for....I think you'd have to take one of your characters into MB and apply your existing animation to its skeleton using an input from the existing, animated character then export that so you can open your character up in lightwave. I haven't heard of people taking the default kaydara models into other packages and maybe they're there for MB use only. Hope that helps

pollywoggles
06-14-2004, 11:11 AM
You don't need to have the original geometry in order to import the mesh.

That's what makes it good plugin for porting between various 3d applications.

I have Maya, so I can't really help you.

My guess is that it has to do with your plug-in. Make sure you have the latest version. Also, try the radio button,"Add to new scene," if you have it.

DrAdamDinosaur
06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
you don't need the origional geometry if you're exporting as .fbx from maya and then importing it into max but you do if you are exporting an animated character from MB. This is how I understand it. I think in any package if you are importing animation directly form MB you need the rigged character (or atleast its skeleton) in the scene already.

hamu73
06-16-2004, 02:59 PM
ok thanks...I imported just the model from MB into max and then imported the animation onto this imported mesh and it kinda works...well could be better but it works...just thought there would be a better way to do this

eevilmouse
06-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I had the same issue, just curious, were you useing the Ninga by William Vaugn as your model?

DrAdamDinosaur
06-17-2004, 08:11 AM
were you getting weird rotations? have you played around with the different rotation filters? gimbal killer etc

hamu73
06-17-2004, 04:53 PM
I just used the Plasticman...and the rotations worked...I don't know if there are probs with the other models

LFGabel
06-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I know in LW when you import (*not* merge) an FBX file, it generates LW object meshes for you.

So my question is: are you importing or merging?

hamu73
06-17-2004, 07:34 PM
I imported the file....well I don't know why this isn't working

RedZep
06-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Import the animtion and the mesh in two diffrent files then merge the two together. Make sure that you dont have anything hidden in max. Or that you dont have anything frozen.

fbmar
07-11-2004, 04:02 PM
im a maxer, so, MB can handle any kind of bone system ? what do my caracter should have to get it on MB without problems ?

hamu73
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
you have to name the bones right with their proper names and you should do fine with importing to MB

abgrafx3d
07-14-2004, 02:02 AM
You can use the FBX converter to convert the MB characters. This will allow you to convert the FBX file to OBJ, DXF, 3DS. Then you can import the OBJ, DXF, or 3DS mesh. Note this will only give you the mesh (no skeleton). You will have to recreate the skeleton (following the MB naming convention). Then bind or skin the skeleton to your mesh.

You can download the FBX converter from the Kaydara website.
http://www.kaydara.com/downloads/plugingoodies/index.php

I used this method with Maya to import the ninja character in this animation:

http://www.abgrafx.com/temp/ninja.wmv

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.