PDA

View Full Version : Lucas now "enhancing" THX-1138

butar
05-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Here we go again...

http://www.thx1138movie.com

KolbyJukes
05-21-2004, 11:22 PM
hmmm...I never saw the original release.

Is it going to be direct to DVD? or threatre?

I guess he's gonna re-edit and re-FX the whole thing too...

oh well. I'm less attached to this then the OT, so I guess I can deal with it.

-Kol.

Per-Anders
05-21-2004, 11:46 PM
yes i never saw it either. looks pretty derivative logans run etc style thing. though i quite like the rehashed bach used for trailer soundtrack.

sketchguy
05-22-2004, 12:16 AM
THX 1138 - 1971
Logans Run - 1976

Kids these days... :hmm:

Goon
05-22-2004, 12:26 AM
isn't that his senior thesis at USC? It was cool and all, but why bother "enhancing" it? Why not make something new, and cool?

THX wasn't really worth redoing.

Per-Anders
05-22-2004, 12:27 AM
yes, i said logans run style thing. not a derivative of logans run, though i can see how my wording might have confused. i just meant of the same genre, style etc, very 70's future angst minimal.

lone
05-22-2004, 12:49 AM
it looked to me, from what i read at the site, that it's only been restored and remastered, and given a DOLBY soundtrack. and it will be at theaters, but the damn text blinks too fast to read the date.

onlooker
05-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I've never even heard of it, but it looks interesting. I want to see it.

zzacmann
05-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Its funny that hes going back to give it better sound and picture quality (if thats the case) considering the fact that the audio and picture standard that Lucas developed, THX, is actually named after THIS movie.

If he's "enhancing" it in this way, I think its rightly deserved.:thumbsup:

CENOBITE
05-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I actually loved this film... then again I liked Alien3. Maybe depressing films with bald people is my idea of a good time. :bowdown:

My friends who usually poo-poo Lucas, like this film and don't know why he abandoned his creative 'darker side'. It would be interesting to see if he will eventually revisit these serious roots one day in much the same way Spielberg did with Shindler's List.

kromekat
05-22-2004, 09:42 AM
its a classic! - it is kind of Logan meets 1984 on acid - well worth watching! :)

Ondrayce
05-22-2004, 11:57 AM
I wonder if George Lucas started "enhancing" members of is own family yet. Does he look at his wife and think that she could use some new special FX?

Crazy George. THX was good as it was.

Wizdoc
05-22-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by lone
it looked to me, from what i read at the site, that it's only been restored and remastered, and given a DOLBY soundtrack. and it will be at theaters, but the damn text blinks too fast to read the date.

There's a lot more new than just remastering & restoration. Just watch the trailer, a lot of CGI set extensions and enhancements going on there.

Looks pretty cool, though.

Daniel-B
05-22-2004, 05:09 PM
There's no stopping him. Lucas is off his rocker. I just hope he can redeem himself with Episode III.

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Personally I think Lucas can do whatever he wants with his body of work.

I believe strongly in the creator right to do whatever he or she wants with their films, before and after they have been exhibited.

After all, they are THEIR individual visions, and we are just along for the ride.

-R

jishjosh
05-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
Personally I think Lucas can do whatever he wants with his body of work.

I believe strongly in the creator right to do whatever he or she wants with their films, before and after they have been exhibited.

After all, they are THEIR individual visions, and we are just along for the ride.

-R

True. But Lucas' manipulation of film history, like making the original versions of Star Wars completely unavailable, not only erases the true milestones in motion picture cinema, but is also a slight to the work of countless artists (like ourselves), without whom none of it may have happened, and whose hard work may be lost forever in it's original form.

But the irony is that everytime he tries to "update" his work, it is self defeating. The digital alterations to the first Star Wars dated quicker and more harshly than any matte paintings and miniatures from the 77' version.

I say... do what you want, but don't be a megalomaniac, do what ever you want to the film, but allow film historians and students to view the origianl to understand and appreciate why and how it was important at the time.

Sometimes something is bigger than yourself and you need to show a little humility in the face of history.

Boone
05-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Re: JishJosh.

I firmly agree with Roberto. However, you have made a valid & sensible point. In the interest of preservation - its wise to make the original editions avaliable.

I'm thankful that I still have a version which doesn't have Sy Snootles ruining the Palace sequence! That was worse than Jar Jar Binks!

KolbyJukes
05-23-2004, 09:03 PM
I completely agree with Jishjosh.

yardo
05-23-2004, 09:33 PM
What a film! Some scenes were done at LAX, the LA subway, early in construction. The cameras were technovision eclair camaflexes, the same as "the good bad and the ugly." The sound is great, because of Walter Murch. Ford GT40 race cars instead of space ships. Robert Duvall. There are so many great moments in this movie. The 16mm short he did in film school is just as good. :thumbsup:

Terrell
05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Here are some shots from the trailer.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2874/newshot1.JPG
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9149/newshot2.JPG
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9431/newshot3.JPG
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/727/newshot4.JPG
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4168/newshot9.JPG
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/724/newshot12.JPG
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5741/newshot13.JPG

Unwanted_Pain
05-25-2004, 03:19 AM
the student film is included on the dvd, hopefullfy it will be left unchanged.
I can only pray that there will be a way to watch it without the cg.

I think hes crazy, but atleast I still have my original vhs copy.

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Again I still believe the creator has exclusive rights on what he or she can do with their creations.
Once you start putting obstacles in this relationship (i.e. the rights of the audience) you get into a very slippery road.

One good example are book authors.

They regularly make revisions all the time to their books.
And it is usual that previous versions will automatically not be available at all to the general public.

Here is an example.
Tolkien produced different versions of "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit".

And those earlier versions are unavailable, because for Tolkien his last revision of LOTR is the definitive version.

His universe, his rules.

And more recently” Stephen King" recently announced that he will be changing certain parts of his earlier books on the "Dark Tower"
Series. This is becuase he realized that he ommited certain things on the earlier books that matter at the end of the saga.

Again his universe, his rules.

The way I see it Lucas, as the creator of his own universes, can do anything he wants.

-R

heavyness
05-25-2004, 06:45 AM
amen RobertoOrtiz, amen.

BonoMan
05-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Again I still believe the creator has exclusive rights on what he or she can do with their creations.
Once you start putting obstacles in this relationship (i.e. the rights of the audience) you get into a very slippery road.

And it is usual that previous versions will automatically not be available at all to the general public.

Here is an example.

And those earlier versions are unavailable, because for Tolkien his last revision of LOTR is the definitive version.

His universe, his rules.

And more recently” Stephen King" recently announced that he will be changing certain parts of his earlier books on the "Dark Tower"
Series. This is becuase he realized that he ommited certain things on the earlier books that matter at the end of the saga.

The way I see it Lucas, as the creator of his own universes, can do anything he wants.

-R

In the end I do agree that he can do what he wants. But given the fanbase of the original films and the outcry to at least let us get good DVD copies of the original films as WELL as the special editions, for him to just outright deny people that is kind of a slap in the face.

I mean I understand making consistency changes. But he's doing a little more than that. And the originals have become classics while there is obvious distaste for the special editions.

Yes it is his universe and yes he can do with it what he wants. But he's burning a lot of bridges and slapping a lot of the people who got him where he is right in the kisser. And that's just insulting and really kinda ruins the magic of the whole Star Wars experience. I have a slight problem with Lucas' total selfishness and inability to recognize this. Or he is recognizing this and is just ignoring it. The whole thing is very mastubatory.

butar
05-25-2004, 07:44 PM

Here is an example.

His universe, his rules.

-R

This is simply repeating what you said earlier, only reworded. Without even addressing some other valid points brought up in the discussion, or bringing up new points.

I'm feeling a little intimidated, saying this to a Mod, but...

It smacks of just trying to have the last word.

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by butar
This is simply repeating what you said earlier, only reworded. Without even addressing some other valid points brought up in the discussion, or bringing up new points.

I'm feeling a little intimidated, saying this to a Mod, but...

It smacks of just trying to have the last word.

You should be intimidated!

<<evil laugh>>
What was that Ip address?
:p

Seriously, we just have different viewpoints.
That is cool.

I do concede that it is a big issue, and that Lucas could have avoided some HUGE landmines it he had made the earlier version available.

But that will not happen.

But I do defend his choice to to a very dumb thing.

-R

Terrell
05-26-2004, 01:05 PM
slapping a lot of the people who got him where he is right in the kisser.

Please don't start with "we made him" crap. That stuff doesn't fly and never has. He owes us absolutely nothing.

chudofsinister
05-27-2004, 02:25 PM
George....just walk away. Just walk away.

Its funny after watching the trailer, not having seen this film in years, its amazing how relevent it is to todays current American Politcal Climate. Perhaps thats why george felt it would be an interesting project to rerelease.

nimajneb
05-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Just thinking out loud for a moment. For me this isn't about rights to change works. That's academic. It''s not about keeping the fans happy. What I'm wondering about, it the propensity to return to a piece of finished piece of work, and damage it by meddling with it. The creative fire that imbues a creation is not something that can necessarily be called up again twenty years later. People change as they grow older. Perspectives change. They do not necessarily improve. Modern techniques do not equate with quality. Geogre's changes to Episode 4 (the original SW) left a bad taste in my mouth. The changes to Solo's character specifically took some of the edge off the character that made him so appealing. Sometimes, the best part of a creation can be that "happy accident", and to try and eliminate it for the sake of your personal vision sterilizes and lessens it's value. I would think that a master like Lucas would know that basic fact.

kromekat
05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
I agree about perspectives changing, and any alterations might not be for the better on some levels, but in the case of this re-edit, it would appear that George is enjoying being able to add the scale and tech fx that he simply couldn't create at that time, and who can blame him!? - he is now better equipped to realise what might have been his original vision, but was limited by the technology of the time.
At the end of the day, any artist can decide to completely paint over one original masterpiece in favour of a new one if he so wishes, but in the case of a movie like this, it's not like he has the only copy! - it's an alternative - if you don't like the idea - don't go and watch it or buy it!
:thumbsup:

kromekat
05-27-2004, 05:11 PM
..on an additional note and since it's all part of the same gripe;

I agree that it would have been nice if George had provided the original edits of the SW trilogy along with the SE, or as an alternate purchase (who's to say he won't one day!?) but if that is what he wants to do - it's his choice. I will buy them because I look forward to seeing the SW films (in any form) like I never have before. I don't think the SE elements add a great deal at all, but they don't ruin the films for me either, the essence and impact is the same.

jishjosh
05-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Terrell
Please don't start with "we made him" crap. That stuff doesn't fly and never has. He owes us absolutely nothing.

I'm not talking about fans, I said "like us" i.e. VFX artists, the artists that crafted the original VFX, which were somewhat of small breakthrough in cinema. He owes them at least the respect for thier work to be seen. Filmmaking is a collaborative art. Star Wars would be nothing without his vision. His visoin would not have been realized without thier talent.

Oh, and by the way, he owes me everything. As do you.

eek
06-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I loved the original, i loved the feel, the look, basically everything about it. It did however leave me with questions. Where the silver/gold police robots? THere where just a few niggling question that hopefully with be answered in this addition. Also it looks that lucas is keeping the effects minimal, and simple so im up for it!

eek

StephanD
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
I always loved that movie...What an ending!(although a bit predictable but good)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.