PDA

View Full Version : modelingpose for animation

implicit
05-21-2004, 06:21 PM
is it true (or at least i've read from some users) that the davinci-modeling-pose isn't the best for animation?

JasonOsipa
05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
There is no right-and-wrong, and there is no "best", a good modeler/rigger can make literally ANYTHING work, it's all just preference.

For me personally, though, I'm one of the few who likes arms down to the sides. It causes a little more grief in the modeling stages, but you can be sure your proportions are correct and that your bones are going to go in correct (arms out to the sides, to look natural, involves shoulders, but then most folks put the shoulders<clavs> in straight, so there's actually a reduction of width as they get lowered into a relaxed pose, and then people have troubles figuring out why their model looks like it's shrugging ALL the time)

I like down to the sides for proportions and for the reason that, unless you're running a LOTR level rig (and even them ,really), it stands to reason that the FARTHER you are (in pose) from the model you modeled, the worse it's going to look. By building the arms at the sides, you are essentially building exactly what will be seen 80% of the time.

It's not right it's not wrong, it's just one take on it :) -J.

westiemad
05-22-2004, 03:31 PM
i build them halfway down, but then I have always had an issue with clavical and shoulder movements, I think i'll get someone to take pictures of my shoulders in different poses.

But as Jason said, do it any way you want, thats what lattices and scult objects are for, moving geometery.

AnDy

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.