PDA

View Full Version : Character: SSMod Main Character

Fungusmonkey
05-21-2004, 05:02 PM
This is the main character in a mod I'm helping out with. I'm used to working at high poly for short films, etc. So this is the first low poly work I've done since Half Life 1 came out. Right now it's just the mesh, because I've gone through 3 different textures, and they all suck. Haven't had to paint game maps in forever. I figure if I throw it up here it'll encourage me to get some more work done on it.

I can't really divulge much of the story, but basically it's set a little bit in the future onboard a ship, kinda like Aliens (I know, I know. Reeeeal original. Not my idea, I swear.)

Oh, and hopefully this pic works. I'm still trying to find a free webhost that won't shut down my site after 4 people view it.

http://home.graffiti.net/quoob/images/DonMod.jpg

Right now it's at 2148 tri's.
Poly limit is going to be about 4000 tri, but you really only see the main character during in game cinematics, and a few parts of the game, so I made him lighter than the other models.

Hopefully I'll have a decent texture in a day or two and I'll load that.

Any crits are more than welcome.

Ebola0001
05-22-2004, 05:15 AM
it looks good, nice to see proper triangulation on a model for once.

what i notice is that he seems 50% body 50% legs.

I think it would look better with more of a 40% body 60% legs kinda looks, his legs seem really short compared to his torso right now.

You might wanna add an extra edge to each of his finger joints so it has something to spread out and maintain volume when it bends

also he has no but to speak of... i think he needs something, right now its really flat

Fungusmonkey
05-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I thought about adding knuckle joints, but since you rarely see the model, and you almost never see his hands, I left them as is. Basically, the game is kind of set up like Jedi Knight 2, where most of the game is a first person shooter, but you can switch out of it for some of the harder parts (puzzles, climbing, evading, etc.) So even when you zoom out, you mostly see the back of the character. The other models in the game are going to be more detailed.

When I put the texture on it, his legs look a little more correct. Still painting it, though. The skin is driving me crazy. Cloth is not too bad, but realistic looking skin is tough. Then again, it's been two years since I've done this, so I'm kind of relearning everything.

Thanks for the crits! I was beginning to wonder what the record is for most views without a reply... :)

codreanu
05-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Ebola0001
it looks good,
also he has no but to speak of... i think he needs something, right now its really flat
he really need a bigger butt

and post pic whit texture ...

Miguelito
05-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Looks great to me! Nice details compared to the low triscount

Fungusmonkey
05-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

The texture on this thing is killing me... killing me! Texture painting is definitely my weak spot. I finally got the face to just about where I want it, and the clothes are still WIP. I'm going to work on it again tonight and I'll start posting it w/textures tomorrow.

My biggest problem right now is that the majority of the clothes are white synthetic materials, and I can't get it to look right. I'm going to try to con them into letting me change it to a color. I'll post more tomorrow.

Fungusmonkey
05-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Alright, here goes. Here's the first version of the textures. I still need to work on the back some more, so that's why it's not shown.

http://home.graffiti.net/quoob/images/DonMod2.jpg

And here's the map:

http://home.graffiti.net/quoob/images/DonModTex1.jpg

I need to do some more work on the wrinkles on the pants, I know that much. I've also been thinking about adding an alpha mapped plane or two at his hairline to add some hair flyaways and such.

Crit away! Hopefully I'll get some more time to work on him tonight and post again tommorow.

Fungusmonkey
05-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Just realized looking at it that his left eyelid isn't aligned on the map right, so it's showing up really light pink. Oops. I'll fix that tonight.

da_rock21
05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
if you plan on animating himyou might want more tris in the elbow area to allow bending

wartorn
05-27-2004, 06:41 PM
good job, but i noticed the legs look quite funny. they are spread on the top part above the knees, while below they are all of a sudden straight and parallel to one another. You might want to adjust some vertices there.

Fungusmonkey
05-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the crits!

da_rock: You're absolutely right. When I was modeling him I skipped that part and forgot to get back to it. Thanks.

wartorn: I kind of see what you mean. The game is using the UT2004 engine, so I modeled the body around the standard Merc skeleton, so we can use his animations. But I really should move some of the points around to make it look better.

Also, if anyone knows a good way to export skeletons and animations from Lightwave to Unreal, that would help a lot. I've been exporting from LW to Milkshape and then doing the skeletons and animations from there. I like Milkshape, but it's animation capabilities aren't as well formed as Lightwave's.

Fungusmonkey
05-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Great. Just great. My crappy webhost just shut down the site for the day because I've "exceeded my quota". Try this thread again tommorrow, hopefully it will be back up.

Does anyone know a really good free web host that won't restrict my site when a bunch of people view my pictures here?

Or even a really cheap one? Preferably under $50 a year. I'm very poor. VERY POOR. In fact, I'm just "por", because I can't even afford the extra "o".

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.