PDA

View Full Version : Modeling for toon shading

Maverick3d
05-21-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm working on a model thats going to be toon shaded (presumably with XSI's toon shader).

I just wanted to know if anyone can offer up any tips specific to modeling for toon shading.

I'm still in the early stages at this point so it wouldn't be too hard to change anything.

Thanks. :)

JasonOsipa
05-21-2004, 05:48 PM
The biggest advice I can give you, having modeled a large number of 'toon shaded models is that there's almost no point to trying to define shapes in your realtime viewport. Test render test render test render.

Problem with toon shading is you'll tend to build thing's shapes instead of thing's silhouettes. It's ONLY about silhouettes on the outsides AND insides of shapes. You have to create lots of bizarre-looking sharp edges and things that look awful in shaded mode, but they render really pretty in a toon shader. Small Eg, I do:
The top/bridge of the nose is an almost flat plane as it runs down the front; directly to the sides, the nose is completely concave, meaning, it actually THINS behind the bridge. This sounds weird, but the greater-than-90-degree angle it creates ensures a contour line from most attractive angles, while still tapering off at the ends, making it not look "wrong", and the shading (if you have multi-tones) will run up, but abruptly stop as it hits the front of the nose; just like if you drew it.

Again, just render render render. -J.

Maverick3d
05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the tips. This is going to be a challenge.
The illustrative style I have to emulate is very flat and graphicial. Think Disney's Hercules or Bruce Timm and Shane Glines.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.