PDA

View Full Version : lets start with nurbs

joker-like
05-21-2004, 06:59 AM
hi all
i am so happy for this thread becuse i am on of lover nurbs modeling.i want to say each one of us like to learn nurbs modeling faster it beter all of us start one porject between ourselves and complete it.certenly when we progressing we encounter with porblems and we can help ourselves much beter
i recommend to make a car model ((toyota supra))

Xtrude
05-21-2004, 04:00 PM
While I do think that a project would be a terrific idea, two things come to mind here-

1) Perhaps we could start with a much easier project than an auto so as us new to nurbs types can get our feet wet a little :)

2) Perhaps we should discuss which apps are available to work with, not just one options, and of these which besides Rhino are worth looking at and will allow for project saving.

ExtremeBoost
05-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrude
While I do think that a project would be a terrific idea, two things come to mind here-

1) Perhaps we could start with a much easier project than an auto so as us new to nurbs types can get our feet wet a little :)

2) Perhaps we should discuss which apps are available to work with, not just one options, and of these which besides Rhino are worth looking at and will allow for project saving.

One cool thing about rhino is its ability to read, save, export, etc.. in just about any file type.

A good project to learn NURBS is to take a finished poly-mesh model and using what polylines and points you have in that model rebuild it with NURBS. Put some splines thru some of the old poly edges and start building surfaces.

Lyr
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by omid_221
hi all
i am so happy for this thread becuse i am on of lover nurbs modeling.i want to say each one of us like to learn nurbs modeling faster it beter all of us start one porject between ourselves and complete it.certenly when we progressing we encounter with porblems and we can help ourselves much beter
i recommend to make a car model ((toyota supra))

I don't think jumping straight into class A surfaces would be a very good idea for a beginner. start with something relatively simple like a desk lamp, or a stapler. Focus on capturing all the details and making it as accurate as you can. Also try to get it to render out cleanly.

chikega
05-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrude

I have Rhino 2 - haven't upgraded to 3. Most of my work is organic - so, it's a little (OK a lot) easier to make branching structures using SubD polys.

Speaking of other NURB apps - I recently upgraded to Amapi Pro (http://www.eovia.com/amapipro/whats_new_ampro.jsp). It's in the same price ranges as Rhino. Haven't had the chance to mess with it too much ... but it appears to have some nice features like "Manifold Volume Construction".

http://www.eovia.com/images/ampro/Manifold_Montage.jpg

Xtrude
05-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Hey right on Gary- Amapi Pro does look like a very cool app, and wow has the code ever been fixed since the previous version, which was a dog on my little machine. Pro seems to be much more stable a release. :)

Cool mouse- could you please explain a little on just what you have done here? After which, how would one take it from here and make buttons/wheel?

I am such a nurb rookie, as I too have been concentrating all of my time on SDS. :)

Thank you in advance :)

ToddD
05-22-2004, 02:56 AM
ExtremeBoost, interesting info, never new rhino could do that, import meshes I mean--sounds like a fun project to try

:)

chikega
05-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Xtrude: I agree - much more stable. As far as the mouse goes, it's just a link to Eovia's website. Olivier Drion actually made it - talented French 3d artist. To add buttons, I would use project splines from the side and then from the top to start off with. :)

You can actually watch a few flash animations showing the use of Amapi Pro - you may have missed them. The mouse is on there as well.

http://www.eovia.com/amapipro/animated_demos.jsp

ExtremeBoost
05-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Tbonz816
ExtremeBoost, interesting info, never new rhino could do that, import meshes I mean--sounds like a fun project to try

:)

Yup, Rhino can import just about anything. If you wanna try rebuilding a mesh model with nurbs just import the model and use the "extract points from mesh" command to give yourself something to work with.

azazel
05-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I remember trying a demo of Solid Thinking years ago.... it was pretty nice even then, and it seems to be actively developed...

Xtrude
05-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Gary- right on, thanks for the link :)

Man, this Nurbs stuff is going to take some rethinking of how one approaches things - I mean I could bang off a mouse in a flash with SDS, just like naturaly sculpting something, while Nurbs seems to be like constructing with cardboard as in apposed to modeling with clay... hmmm, non the less, I suppose that it is always a good thing to keep an open mind to different techniques :D

ExtremeBoost- thanks for the info. I have downloaded Rhino's latest, and will give this approach a go :)

azazel- yea, I have demoed solidThinking, and though I really thought that it was chaulk full of features, I dunno about it's pricing- ouch :)

joker-like
05-23-2004, 09:26 AM
sorry for my absent
but about this threat:i saw all of ur comment and tnx plz keep it up continusly.i am agree with u and let start with simple things
but i think its beter we have compare between programs and ability of them in nurbs modeling.i downloaded rhino v.3.it was realy increadible .autocad changed to rhing<<becuse all command and enviroment are like autocad...lets say question here,i want to know nurbs in max's can compared with rhino?
dose it beter or not?.and if i wana to learn this program is any resource i'd rather free:thumbsup: to learn?....finally sorry with my eng tnx all

chikega
05-23-2004, 05:38 PM
omid_221: no, 3dsMax's Nurbs implementation was never really improved upon after the popularity of SubD's took place. Rhino3d is one of the best in the industry. I was a beta tester for Rhino3d back in 1996 until they finally released the commercial version. As someone may have mentioned Alias may have a better implementation but it costs $$$$$!

solidThinking when I messed with it many years ago was very unstable - crashed quite a bit. But it was pretty to look at. I'm still messing with Amapi Pro. It looks to be very capable - but still trying to figure out how to project a spline. Extruding the spline helps it act like a slice object. Rhino3d seems to be a little easier - less steps. But, I may be missing something since I'm just winging it - need to read the manual.:)

Bob27
05-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Chikega and others, Hi all!
Ok, I am a Max user, I use mostly splines and polys, for some
reason I felt Max NURBS is not good , so I started NURBS in Maya,
it's great yet the stitching and unifying of surface problems there have made me doubt the efficiency of NURBS and I am kind of back to poly and splines, yet I am not sure.
Now I want some more experienced NURBS guys to comment on these, please:
1-If you have worked with Max NURbs, why do you find it inconvenient, be a little more specific .
2- Is it possible to Model a complicated object in NURBS and then
convert it to Poly and then join the parts seamlessly by welding vertices, do you recommend that ?

3- If Max NURBS is bad should I learn Rhino or Maya NUrbs to compensate for. I donot know Rhino, but I know Max and Cad,
I can't spent much time learning a new software, should I continue with Maya NURBS or start learning Rhino?

4- In general do you think there are practical solutions to existing surface stitching and attaching problems in NURBS applications ?I hope this subforum would be a place for NURBS savvies to show their knowledge by doing great tutorials so we can all benefit.

Here is a tut I made in Maya, I did Part 1 but I kind of got tired and I don't plan to continue it for some time, please take a look and comment on it:

http://www.studioexistence.com/sections/Tutorials/CG/Modeling/Helmet/Helmet%201.htm

joker-like
06-01-2004, 08:03 PM
soory for my absent
fourm was silence??
i thougth we will have a lot of post
:shrug: today i tried (3dsmax)made a door handle for my cars doors, but when i wanted create a smooth hole in it for place handle on it the hole wasnt create????? i used (create cv curve on surface) but after that i dont know what should i do??can some one descripe how create hole and extrude a smooth surface for than other or connected surface ???

joker-like
06-08-2004, 08:24 AM
why thread is silence???
we have a lot of problems

glassbathroom
01-16-2005, 12:56 PM
<REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR>

eric_bit
01-17-2005, 07:33 AM
as a rhino training teacher,maybe i can give u some useful advice for rhino!
actually,rhino is a nurbs tools for windows,that mean it can be a solution for nurbs modeling!but,in fact,many of our customers use it for industry design,it is a cheaper CAID software,and rhino is small and easy to learn!!
So,many people asked me:"can we use model that made in rhino for animation!" i think i cannot give a directness answer! all i can say is ,if u want a production model for your animation, and it is not for any deform-animation,just use it! on the other hand, if u want a character model, u can choose maya,softimage,etc. rhino is used in production design mostly!

Bob27
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
A couple of questions from eric:

I have never used rhino but I am eager to do so. You said rhino is for production design mainly.

So if I am an architec or industry designer working mainly with 3dsMax or Maya, can I design my stuff in rhino and import them to Max easily? what about the conversion problem? Do we convert NURBS to polygon in Rhino or in Max? (Same questions with Maya). Will the result be good? The NURBS to poly conversion in Max is not that good. It does not offer quads as far as I know and you can not determine the number or faces.

My second question is whether rhino's NURBS options is really greater than Maya? So if you already know Maya's NURBS does it worth the care of learning Rhino's?

Has Rhino 4 come out? Does it offer many new options?

Thanks

eric_bit
01-18-2005, 01:32 PM
A couple of questions from eric:

I have never used rhino but I am eager to do so. You said rhino is for production design mainly.

So if I am an architec or industry designer working mainly with 3dsMax or Maya, can I design my stuff in rhino and import them to Max easily? what about the conversion problem? Do we convert NURBS to polygon in Rhino or in Max? (Same questions with Maya). Will the result be good? The NURBS to poly conversion in Max is not that good. It does not offer quads as far as I know and you can not determine the number or faces.

My second question is whether rhino's NURBS options is really greater than Maya? So if you already know Maya's NURBS does it worth the care of learning Rhino's?

Has Rhino 4 come out? Does it offer many new options?

Thanks

hi,bob!
1.if u want to import rhino's model to max, i think use .3ds is better(is too big but no conversion problem)! u can also control mesh counts! but for maya, i recommend .iges! no conversion problem almost!
2.As i said, rhino's Nurbs is used in prodution design, it's a CAID software! so it has many functions that maya hasn't in industry design! maya is powerful than rhino in animation modeling, because maya is powerful CG software! if only in Nurbs part, maya and alias-studio tools has same kernel! so maya has powerful Nurbs too! finally,what i want say is if u use maya or max to design production, that's not too worth only for modeling and rendering! and in many parts, maya and max are not a good designing tools! because they cannot check your surface's quality and cannot import correct files into the CAD/CAM software! this is the most important! above all, i think rhino is much better! u can also use studio tools, it's more powerful than rhino, but it's very expansive! i think it's better to model in rhino and render in C4D or flamingo!
3.rhino 4.0 is in wip! it will has more new function such as history, powerful transform tools, G3,G4blend, cool interface, and more..........
ok,good luck!

Bob27
01-18-2005, 07:27 PM
thanks eric!

CyberSorcerer
01-19-2005, 04:03 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea. You can count me in after we all decide on software, format and what were building.

I have MAYA 6 Unlimited, Lightwave 7, Blender, Bryce and Poser. So I can handle any format that is choosen myself.

CyberSorcerer

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.