PDA

View Full Version : VFX test PFX/HVs

HowardM
05-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Something I wipped up last night!
1meg QT Here (http://www.3dink.com/hvtest12.mov)

http://www.3dink.com/testhv2.jpg

...gotta pull SOMETHING together to make a cool VFX reel! :D
so this is my first stab at trying to do something cool.
just wanted to see if I could fake video and match 3D to it...I know needs work! ;)
of course the sprites, hv colors, rocket, etc are just placeholders...hmmm...sprites actually can be tweaked to look cool, and if you add enough can look close to volumes!

hows the shaky cam, the background, etc....?

Thanks!

pdrake
05-20-2004, 09:00 PM
cool. where'd you get the footage?

ghopper
05-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Nice, the shaky cam gave it a *realistic* touch. The background is cool as well, I presume it's just a static image, animated, right ?

But the background seems to get duplicated at the end and you get a strange overlay effect. I guess this was not intentional.

Good work :thumbsup: Looking forward to see how far you will push this,

HowardM
05-20-2004, 09:15 PM
hehe pdrake, thanks!

ya, the trails are some wierd HV sprite clipping error...we will brush it off as exauhst fumes blurring by the camera! ;)

hmm makes you wonder what cool trail effects can be made with Sprites near the camera and objects moving behind them?
:D

zaam
05-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Howard,

Thanks again.
I have enjoyed every one of your recent tests.

m.d.
05-20-2004, 11:54 PM
howard, i love the stuff you just 'knock off'
I think your found your calling:bowdown:

HowardM
05-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Hehe! Thanks guys!
I love to make tests to show people, because like you guys I love to watch tests myself!
Now lets see some of everyone elses!?:D
We need to kick this community back into highgear!
...there just isnt enough sharing of information going on..
...on that note...someone share me a job lead for a really cool shot that needs something blown up... or some chainmail! ;) hehe

chikega
05-21-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
...hmmm...sprites actually can be tweaked to look cool, and if you add enough can look close to volumes!

And that's why you gotta love Particle Illusions for some of the quick and dirty sprite based particles. :thumbsup:

HowardM: Always glad to look over your shoulder, so to speak, to see what you've got cookin' in that brain of yours. Did you use to stick fire crackers in plastic model ships too when you were young? ;)

HowardM
05-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by chikega
And that's why you gotta love Particle Illusions for some of the quick and dirty sprite based particles. :thumbsup:

HowardM: Always glad to look over your shoulder, so to speak, to see what you've got cookin' in that brain of yours. Did you use to stick fire crackers in plastic model ships too when you were young? ;)

hehe, actually, yes! :D I think my first victim, if I rem correctly, was an r2-d2 unit action figure, and an m-80 up its ass! :D

speaking of Illusion, you can easily create your own Illusion style effects in LW by rendering out HV animations, and then using them like Illusion does as a sprite, resize them, fade them, spin them, etc...of course this isnt as fast as Illusion, but you can do some nifty things if youre quick with the PFX part, and its true 3D right in the same LW scene.....considering the pre rendered sprites render in no time...it just takes a little upfront work in LW...

chikega
05-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
hehe, actually, yes! :D ...
I knew it!!! :bounce:

speaking of Illusion, you can easily create your own Illusion style effects in LW by rendering out HV animations, and then using them like Illusion does ....
True dat ... especially if the particles are zooming in and out and around stuff. :)

zuzzabuzz
05-21-2004, 02:29 PM
In the same vein, here's a rocket test I was doing last December...in anticipation of LW8 (ah..the bad old days) ;)

So, it's got Volume HVs, GI from a homemade HDRI, and cheezy rocket model. :) Also uses wind in a few ways to hopefully make it look cooler. Hope you enjoy.

Lift Off, camera tracking (~3MB sorenson3 quicktime) (http://www.unm.edu/~buzzbuzz/rocket-test5.mov)

Lift off, launch pad (~1.5MB sorenson3 quicktime) (http://www.unm.edu/~buzzbuzz/rocket-test5-lower.mov)

angel
05-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Looks good HowardM! I wonder where ppl. find those cool aerial images, every time I google search I come up empty handed... nothing really useable. Can you point me in the right direction?

m.d.
05-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Now lets see some of everyone elses!?

once I get my damn LW8.....:banghead:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.