PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 F9 = crash?

Ramon
05-20-2004, 04:41 PM
This also posted on spinquad:
Well, there you have it. Anyone experience this?
I obviously can't have this. Any clues? The render size is only 640x480. Primarily I had seg mem set to 32 then crashed there after the (what appears to be) at the end of the frame. It didn't even give a crash message, just closed out on me! Anyway, since the scene was fairly heavy, I tried to up the seg mem to 500 (since I have 2 gigs of ram) and the same exact thing happened.
The same scene opened in LW 7.5 renders perfectly with no problems and very fast.
What in the world is going on? I have a Dell dual 2.8 xeon proc.

Thanks

Ramon
05-20-2004, 05:10 PM
It is inconsistent. I tried it once more and it didn't crash this time.

What is the max poly limit that lightwave can render out without crashing? Just curious. Is there a specific number of polys in a scene where it starts to get "sketchy"?

G3D
05-20-2004, 08:34 PM
...same deal here. Are you having hard crashes where LW 8 loses paths to plugins?
My problems seem to stem from Sasquatch; turning it off makes the crashing stop. I monitor my renders with Task Manager open and LW is only using 1.3-1.5 gigs of the ram. Also, the crash comes in 2 flavors: one with "Microsoft Windows XP has encountered a problem..." and the other where the whole app just quits w/o warning.

Ramon
05-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Actually George, I have noticed that the was a scene master plugin that may have been an issue. I loaded the scene in 7.5 and upon loading it told me that it could not load master scene plugin, so I and the same scene rendered fine. So I resaved the lws file out of 7.5 and opened it in 8 again and it rendered fine... without crashing LW.
Do you know about the maxium poly limit before LW gets edgy?
Thanks. Curious, what kind of video card do you have?

G3D
05-20-2004, 11:45 PM
But the one scene I'm thinking of is a 3d Boot I've posted here before--it has many large image maps. Print is the end goal, so I need them. If there weren't so many images or they were smaller the poly limit would be much higher. Especially with the 2 gigs of ram the Dell has. The video card I have is mid range--an ATI Radeon 9200 128meg.

Rei Ayanami
05-21-2004, 08:22 AM
im running a scene with 233k polys in it and im not having any trouble at all, this is whith an 850 athlon and 640mbs of ram and a 128ddr gf4600

Ramon
05-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. It gives me a better idea of what LW will handle and where it gets twitchy but, check this out...(posted by Tesselator at Spinquad):
"Ramon, There's a Max No. of objects and a Max No. of Sides per Poly, but I don't think there's Max No. of Polys. I've been a little bit past 12 million in L8 now. Some scene global operations are a little sluggish as you might imagine but not any more or less "sketchy"."

How about that! 12 million polys in his scene!!!:bounce: I replied in the form of a question about what computer specs is that system comprised of. Haven't gotten a response yet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.