PDA

View Full Version : Alias Wavefront anounces Maya 4.5 for Mac today.

Minguez
07-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Alias Wavefront anounces Maya 4.5 for Mac today.

keynote right now...

gametech
07-17-2002, 01:39 PM
The pc version is also coming and is much better supported.
Most of the plugins are written for pc only.

And yes fluids are a nice new addition to maya 4.5

Imagineer
07-17-2002, 02:09 PM
I just love how the PC users feel obligated to automatically trash any mention of the Mac platform...

Come on folks, grow up...!

Minguez
07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
hmm... As strange as it seems. I only heard Steve Jobs announce Maya 4.5 for mac. Alias does not have any info on their site yet....lets se what happend during the day.

Otherwise dissapointed of the MWNY keynote.

Imagineer
07-17-2002, 04:33 PM
Alias|wavefront has always been a bit behind on syncing up their website with the rest of the world...

Another interesting thing about the mention of Maya for Mac OS X was the comment about how said version accounts for 25% of total Maya sales...! I would assume that was referring to sales made in the last quarter, or maybe total sales since Maya for Mac OS X was released... But who knows, maybe they really mean TOTAL sales of Maya, and the Mac platform accounting for 25% of that overall number...! That would be a good thing...!

Yes, I am an optimist where Apple is concerned... And if those of you do not like my upbeat outlook on the Mac platform, then just don't read my posts! But please, don't start a flame war based soley on a person's platform preference...!

Now, if Apple can have a good suprise for us in August... (this is when new PowerMacs are supposed to be announced)

Cheers!

Minguez
07-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Now the info is up on the AW site. From what I can see, they have not manage to make the unlimited version ready for this release (mac).

I wonder why.

Is there something in the code for the unlimited version that is impossible for a mac to handle?

anybody have any guesses?

Malameel
07-17-2002, 07:14 PM
It is also on the PC.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/whatsnew/v4.5/index.shtml

This is the link and it shows all teh versions and platforms.

Swami Gattas
07-17-2002, 07:27 PM
There shouldn't be a prob with the OS X being a modified port of the Irix/Linux version, however it's a well known fact that when first released for other platforms A|W always takes a while to get their versions up and running at the same version on all platforms. Just give it a lil time and it'll come out.

gametech
07-17-2002, 07:46 PM
The mention of the pc version was not ment to trash the mac version. (Just a little :wavey: )
I have tried the mac version 3.5 and I found it dissapointing for serveral reasons. it was behind the current version.
I hope they will make a solid release this time for the mac.

-------------------------------------------
don't read this if you are into macs >>

apple buys nothing real (means no shake pc version anymore)
apple buys emagic ( no pc version of logic ?)
if they continue this way all good programs are gonna be mac only
this is something I don't think is to good. because then we all have to buy expensive apple hardware.

nice fluids :applause:
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/whatsnew/fluids/img/large_fluids03.jpg

sigma
07-17-2002, 08:27 PM
W!cked.

I cant wait!

Malameel
07-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Of course rumors are saying that Softimage will release 3.0 at Siggraph. Will they stack up against this?

I will be there and afterwards I will buy one or the other.

MacRonin
07-17-2002, 11:22 PM
I was looking at some of the examples movies on the A|w site... Nice stuff!

The coolest thing (to me, at least...) is the fact that they finally moved the 'advanced modeling' tools from Unlimited to Complete...

Check out the movies highlighting the snap tools...

Cannot wait until the new PowerMacs come out!

cgSquad
07-17-2002, 11:58 PM
i have saw a screen shot of maya 4.5. i dont know which plateform it was from. but it has a netscape like look. may be its a linux port.

meloncully
07-18-2002, 12:03 AM
that makes me wonder now that they have put sds's into complete, what cool new features will they add to unlimited, or will they just knock off unlimited??

greekdish
07-18-2002, 12:31 AM
I was at Macworld today, and was watching the demo of 4.5, as well as shows of WETA and other stuff. Really great stuff. In the postcard brochure they had out for people to take....it specifically mentions ... No. 1 on the list.....Version parity and cross platform file exchange. That to me means 4.5 will be the same on Mac as on PC, as well as Unlimited (I hope). It also states multiprocessor support for rendering and IPR, and subdivision modeling. Yay!!! =)

My biggest dissapointment though today was Apple not releasing an upgraded hardware selection....I was expecting DDR desktops and maybe dual 1.3 Ghzs. Apple better announce something like that within a month, right when Jaguar gets released....they need an upgrade in hardware.

greekdish
07-18-2002, 12:53 AM
Saw this tidbit from a stock news site....

"Some analysts have also urged Apple to move to microchips from Intel Corp. <INTC.O> from those made by Motorola Inc. <MOT.N> and International Business Machines Corp. <IBM.N> to cut costs.

Asked about that possibility, Jobs said that first the company had to finish the transition to the OS X operating system, expected around the end of this year.

"Then we'll have options, and we like to have options," he said."

Well.....all I can say is....if this happens.....and the megahertz myth really becomes a legend.....what will the PC users have left to argue??? :applause: :shame: :beer:

God.....I love these little smilies...I want ot use them all!!!! :surprised

MacRonin
07-18-2002, 03:04 AM
I don't think that Apple is going over to x86 anytime soon...

But I do think that Motorola has little time left before Apple cuts them out of the picture altogether...

The supposed PowerMac upgrade headed our way next month will probably be the last of G4s intended for use in PowerMacs, running from 1.2GHz to 1.6GHz, hopefully with DDR RAM & RapidIO implemented...

After that, the G5 will probably be manufactured by IBM, and the design will be from Apple...

As for the rumors of the new PowerMacs running with nForce2 chipsets from nVidia, that would be most interesting...!

The real reports on the State of Apple as a source of quality high-end hardware & software will be shown at Siggraph 2002 (August!), where we will be able to see Maya Complete for Mac OS X v4.5 running on Apple PowerMacs at the Alias|wavefront booth; and the new Apple Shake (or whatever they will call it...) will be shown over at the Nothing Real booth...

Should be sweet!

Anyone going to Siggraph 2002, make sure you keep those of us who cannot some decent information...!

Cheers!

Malameel
07-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Apple guys can be fanatical about their systems. Personally I go with the system with the greatest easy, and for me that is the PC. When I was at school I trained on Macs, and they were stupid lttle fruity crashers. My PC never failed like that and it did so much more and I could actually buys things easily at CompUSA that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I am sure Apple guys have their horror stories as well but you just go with what you love.

Anyway, Unlimited will be more for things like fluid effectss and cloth and furs and complete will be just your modeling. At least that is the way it seems to me when comparing the packages.

From the website:

... and Maya Unlimited™ has everything in Maya Complete plus:

Maya Fluid Effects

General enhancements to the stability and performance of Maya Cloth™ and Maya Live™ plus further enhancements to Maya Fur™

There is more buy you guys can check out the link:

Maya 4.5 Features (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/whatsnew/v4.5/maya45.shtml)

greekdish
07-18-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Malameel
Apple guys can be fanatical about their systems. Personally I go with the system with the greatest easy, and for me that is the PC. When I was at school I trained on Macs, and they were stupid lttle fruity crashers. My PC never failed like that and it did so much more and I could actually buys things easily at CompUSA that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I am sure Apple guys have their horror stories as well but you just go with what you love.

PC guys can be fanatical about their systems. Personally I go with the system with the greatest ease of use, and for me that is the Mac. When I was at school I trained on Pc's, and they were stupid lttle crashers. My Mac never failed like that and it did so much more and I could actually buys things easily at CompUSA, Macmall, Macwarehouse, and Apple.com that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I am sure PC guys have their horror stories as well but you just go with what you love.

Works both ways pal.

leigh
07-19-2002, 12:49 AM
Oh dear lord, not this stupid debate again :rolleyes:

meloncully
07-19-2002, 12:54 AM
who gives a flying rats ass?

as long as your machine gets the job done then its ok.

Malameel
07-19-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by greekdish

PC guys can be fanatical about their systems. Personally I go with the system with the greatest ease of use, and for me that is the Mac. When I was at school I trained on Pc's, and they were stupid lttle crashers. My Mac never failed like that and it did so much more and I could actually buys things easily at CompUSA, Macmall, Macwarehouse, and Apple.com that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I am sure PC guys have their horror stories as well but you just go with what you love.

Works both ways pal.

Isn't that what I said? Or is this a Mac thing?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.